George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
London post-wedding party for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - 25 October 2014 - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 22:10 by benex

»  George filming new film in UK
London post-wedding party for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - 25 October 2014 - Page 7 EmptyYesterday at 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
London post-wedding party for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - 25 October 2014 - Page 7 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
London post-wedding party for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - 25 October 2014 - Page 7 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
London post-wedding party for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - 25 October 2014 - Page 7 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
London post-wedding party for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - 25 October 2014 - Page 7 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
London post-wedding party for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - 25 October 2014 - Page 7 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
London post-wedding party for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - 25 October 2014 - Page 7 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
London post-wedding party for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - 25 October 2014 - Page 7 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

London post-wedding party for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - 25 October 2014

+45
hathaross
The next mrs clooney
benex
Philippago
cupcake
fluffy
amaretti
isogotit
Picachu
Boshkash
MeganMorris
JMK
Xylo
Cece42
Jenn
pandabear
Hebe
premiere
Doug Ross
Sevens
LizzyNY
/
fava
Donnamarie
bgarabedian
jd68
errmm
globalchick
Atalante
melbert
Joanna
fridadereval
lelacorb
Silje
PigPen
theminis
LornaDoone
jusquatoi2014
Missa
Way2Old4Dis
Nicky80
annemarie
Alisonfan
Katiedot
party animal - not!
49 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

London post-wedding party for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - 25 October 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: London post-wedding party for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - 25 October 2014

Post by The next mrs clooney Fri 31 Oct 2014, 21:17

Have spun English isn't a Uk english phrase.  Its just one of those annoying google translate things that no one understands!
The next mrs clooney
The next mrs clooney
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

London post-wedding party for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - 25 October 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: London post-wedding party for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - 25 October 2014

Post by Nicky80 Fri 31 Oct 2014, 21:19

LOL thanks Lizzy and TNMC.....Glad I'm not the only one with a questionmark Razz
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Fri 31 Oct 2014, 21:36

calypso wrote:From the other post-wedding thingy :-)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Is this pic photoshoped? Her legs look strange..

Paris Match bringing Jane Eyre into the mix was too much. George is no Mr Rochester. Mad
Silje
Silje
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Einstein Sat 01 Nov 2014, 00:17

Sorry but Georgee Clooney and Amal Alamuddin be divorced in a year. I had until now always right. Clooney will again be single next year. You will see that Einstein was right. An Aquarius as Amal and a bull as George NOT fit together.
Einstein
Einstein
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Einstein Sat 01 Nov 2014, 01:02

I must stop writing now, says times have you ever so man[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]y flies in the house. I have beat this dead only fly now.
Einstein
Einstein
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

London post-wedding party for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - 25 October 2014 - Page 7 Empty We were at the Clooney party in Danesfield

Post by Sevens Sat 01 Nov 2014, 07:16

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We were at the Clooney party in Danesfield

DANESFIELD— Last week in London, Danesfield was the place to be. A post wedding reception for Amal Alammudin and George Clooney was being held there last Saturday, Oct. 25. Naturally I accepted the invitation which came from Amal’s mother, the well-known Lebanese journalist, Baria Alammudin for me and my daughter, Al-Jazeera’s Veronica Pedrosa.
It was a simple invitation sent by email, crowded by the dozens of emails I have received from Baria for over 30 years of friendship.
Unfortunately with emailed invitations, you don’t get the feel of the linen paper on which it was written, but the words sufficed that Baria and Ramzi Alamuddin have the pleasure of inviting you to the after party to celebrate with us the marriage of Amal Alamuddin and George Clooney on the 25th of October 2014. Please join us for a cocktail reception at 6.30 p.m. followed by a dinner party at 8 p.m. The venue will be at Danesfield House Hotel, Henley Rd, Marlow-on Thames, Buckinghamshire SL7 2EY. Please RSVP by 10th October 2014 by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
We received the invitation almost simultaneously with the wedding of the couple in Venice and I was on my way to China so I sent off an immediate reply that we were coming to Danesfield. How could we send regrets to such an invitation even if we have to fly PAL’s direct flight for 15 hours?
Happily several invitations came soon afterward that included the launch of an audio book of the Leon Ma. Guerrero translation of Noli Me Tangere by Downton Abbey’s Richard Grant at the Philippine Embassy in London, and an appearance and forum at the National Theater to give the historical background of a unique musical on Imelda entitled Here Lies Love by David Byrne and FatBoy Slim. All these would be happening in a week so off we went posting our acceptances to all three invitations and packing enough clothes for the events.
Opinion ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

I have already written on Richard Grant’s audio book (made possible by the efforts of David Guerrero, son of the late Philippine Ambassador to the Court of St. James) last week. On the National Theater appearance, Veronica and I were glad to have been given the opportunity to answer questions on the Philippines. I did say frankly that part of the problem of knowing the truth about the Philippines and the relevance of Imelda’s musical to the country is that there are misconceptions about the country.
It may have been an innovative musical, they called it a disco-musical because the whole stage was a disco dance floor with the Imelda story (based largely on my book “The Untold Story of Imelda Marcos.” But technically the musical was an excellent innovation and very enjoyable no matter how sad and tragic the story was. It was fun for those who did not know the story. In that sense, Byrne did not quite succeed in relating the music to the story.
We did not know quite what to expect about Danesfield House even if the pictures in the internet showed a beautiful luxury house hotel snuggled in Italian gardens and the River Thames nearby. As soon as we reached the gate security guards and a host of bodyguards came close to the car to ask for our names holding a list of the people who were invited. One security man came forward to say yes you are in the list and then it was confirmed by security inside the hotel. While waiting when all these precautions against gate-crashers we saw the paparazzi crowd across the street and Veronica waved at them. Someone from ITV came forward to asked if we were guests in the Clooney reception. She was quick with the answer, “we neither confirm nor deny.” Then we got the signal to go ahead into the driveway of the luxury country house lined with sycamore trees. Cars were slowly wending their way one after the other to the main door with butlers and porters and bodyguards milling around. There was some contretemps with the wedding guests arriving and last nights visitors not yet checked out. I saw a distinguished man standing on the side watching intently. Veronica took charge to register our names. The distinguished man came forward and said “hello, how are you?” Of course, I had to be polite with such a warm welcome but could not remember in heavens’ name who the man was. Then I went into friendly chatter on how beautiful the house was, better than Downton Abbey. He smiled and said yes, I had to buy it when it came up for sale. Huh? So the man turned out to be Salim Khaireddine, who owns a chain of luxury boutique hotels of which Danesfield was only one. At first I thought it would have been more practical if the party had been nearer to London but when I beheld the beauty of Danesfield, I thought Amal’s mother mad the right decision.
It is an award-winning hotel between the Marlow and Henley-on-Thames deep in beautiful rural Buckinghamshire. Visitors who come here are refreshed by the silence and beauty of the surroundings with acres and acres of Italian gardens and rolling hills with Thames in the background.
It was the perfect venue for a reception that combined the dignity of English aristocracy and Arabian lavish luxury to make for a spectacular reception for what was after all a Western-Middle East union. For all that, friends and relatives said it would be good for me to write about our experience in the party in Danesfield. (To be continued)

Last edited by Nicky80 on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 08:11; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

London post-wedding party for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - 25 October 2014 - Page 7 Empty Amal Alamuddin's Aunts Were "Fangirling Over" George Clooney at Wedding Bash

Post by Sevens Sat 01 Nov 2014, 07:19

Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Sat 01 Nov 2014, 07:30

Silje wrote:Lastest People, no photos yet.

SUNDAY OCTOBER 26, 2014 10:15 AM EDT
All the Details! George & Amal Clooney Celebrate with Post-Wedding Party in England
The party's not over for George and Amal Clooney.

Nearly one month after their wedding in Venice, the newlyweds celebrated again, this time with a party on Amal's home turf.

The Saturday night bash was hosted by the bride's parents, Baria and Ramzi Alamuddin, at the historic Danesfield House Hotel and Spa 40 miles outside London in Buckinghamshire.

On the guest list: more than 200 friends and family members – more than attended the wedding itself – many of whom traveled from Amal's native Lebanon, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain. Among them were CNN's Hala Gorani, former Lebanese prime minister Saad Hariri, government ministers and ambassadors from several Middle Eastern nations and colleagues from Amal's legal firm, Doughty Street Chambers.

"We're so proud to have George in the family that I'm traveling from Beirut to London just to kiss him and say, 'Welcome!' " one family member told PEOPLE.

Amal, 36, was spotted driving to the party in a gold metallic dress and bold berry-red lipstick alongside George, 53.

Ramzi Alamuddin spoke first to welcome guests and thank them for making the trip to London, according to a source. He then introduced George, who joked to the crowd: "Being Irish, I'm used to large families but this is the first time in my life I've seen a family as big as this one."

"George was very nice, absolutely adorable. Amal looked incredible and they seem very, very much in love," adds the source. "George went from table to table to meet everyone and at more than one table, when he noticed glasses were empty, he got a bottle and poured wine into everyone's glasses."

'It was a very sympathique soiree," says a guest. "Very polished and a little low-key than you thought it might be." Adds another source: "There were no other famous people. It was 90 percent her family. It was a lovely family celebration."

The Clooneys have both been back to work since the multi-day wedding celebration, which quickly established Amal as a fashion force.

No gondolas were involved in the British bash, but it didn't lack for glamour. Located on 65 acres of formal English gardens overlooking the Thames River, Danesfield House, which dates to 1725, features fairy-tale Tudor-style towers, historic tapestries and ornate ceilings. Guests arrived via a hedge-lined path leading to a doorway decorated with orchids draped over a tree stump. After a reception in the hotel's main hall – with a high vaulted wooden ceiling and a vast fireplace at one end – festivities moved to a large tent, where tables were set for dinner with black tablecloths, centerpieces of leafy branches and, in a quirky touch, ceramic cockatoos. Potted laurel trees and white roses also decorated the party.

The menu came from the hotel's Michelin-starred restaurant, with choices of foie gras or smoked salmon starters; roasted filet of beef, sea bass or a risotto for mains; and mousse au chocolat or a strawberry tart for dessert.

The couple also served his-and-hers signature drinks: a cocktail made with tequila, citron vodka, lime juice and ginger ale for him; one with vanilla vodka, passion fruit liqueur and lime juice for her.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 01 Nov 2014, 08:13

Merged threads
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 01 Nov 2014, 08:17

Sevens wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

DANESFIELD— Last week in London, Danesfield was the place to be. A post wedding reception for Amal Alammudin and George Clooney was being held there last Saturday, Oct. 25. Naturally I accepted the invitation which came from Amal’s mother, the well-known Lebanese journalist, Baria Alammudin for me and my daughter, Al-Jazeera’s Veronica Pedrosa.
It was a simple invitation sent by email, crowded by the dozens of emails I have received from Baria for over 30 years of friendship.
Unfortunately with emailed invitations, you don’t get the feel of the linen paper on which it was written, but the words sufficed that Baria and Ramzi Alamuddin have the pleasure of inviting you to the after party to celebrate with us the marriage of Amal Alamuddin and George Clooney on the 25th of October 2014. Please join us for a cocktail reception at 6.30 p.m. followed by a dinner party at 8 p.m. The venue will be at Danesfield House Hotel, Henley Rd, Marlow-on Thames, Buckinghamshire SL7 2EY. Please RSVP by 10th October 2014 by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
We received the invitation almost simultaneously with the wedding of the couple in Venice and I was on my way to China so I sent off an immediate reply that we were coming to Danesfield. How could we send regrets to such an invitation even if we have to fly PAL’s direct flight for 15 hours?
Happily several invitations came soon afterward that included the launch of an audio book of the Leon Ma. Guerrero translation of Noli Me Tangere by Downton Abbey’s Richard Grant at the Philippine Embassy in London, and an appearance and forum at the National Theater to give the historical background of a unique musical on Imelda entitled Here Lies Love by David Byrne and FatBoy Slim. All these would be happening in a week so off we went posting our acceptances to all three invitations and packing enough clothes for the events.

I have already written on Richard Grant’s audio book (made possible by the efforts of David Guerrero, son of the late Philippine Ambassador to the Court of St. James) last week. On the National Theater appearance, Veronica and I were glad to have been given the opportunity to answer questions on the Philippines. I did say frankly that part of the problem of knowing the truth about the Philippines and the relevance of Imelda’s musical to the country is that there are misconceptions about the country.
It may have been an innovative musical, they called it a disco-musical because the whole stage was a disco dance floor with the Imelda story (based largely on my book “The Untold Story of Imelda Marcos.” But technically the musical was an excellent innovation and very enjoyable no matter how sad and tragic the story was. It was fun for those who did not know the story. In that sense, Byrne did not quite succeed in relating the music to the story.
We did not know quite what to expect about Danesfield House even if the pictures in the internet showed a beautiful luxury house hotel snuggled in Italian gardens and the River Thames nearby. As soon as we reached the gate security guards and a host of bodyguards came close to the car to ask for our names holding a list of the people who were invited. One security man came forward to say yes you are in the list and then it was confirmed by security inside the hotel. While waiting when all these precautions against gate-crashers we saw the paparazzi crowd across the street and Veronica waved at them. Someone from ITV came forward to asked if we were guests in the Clooney reception. She was quick with the answer, “we neither confirm nor deny.” Then we got the signal to go ahead into the driveway of the luxury country house lined with sycamore trees. Cars were slowly wending their way one after the other to the main door with butlers and porters and bodyguards milling around. There was some contretemps with the wedding guests arriving and last nights visitors not yet checked out. I saw a distinguished man standing on the side watching intently. Veronica took charge to register our names. The distinguished man came forward and said “hello, how are you?” Of course, I had to be polite with such a warm welcome but could not remember in heavens’ name who the man was. Then I went into friendly chatter on how beautiful the house was, better than Downton Abbey. He smiled and said yes, I had to buy it when it came up for sale. Huh? So the man turned out to be Salim Khaireddine, who owns a chain of luxury boutique hotels of which Danesfield was only one. At first I thought it would have been more practical if the party had been nearer to London but when I beheld the beauty of Danesfield, I thought Amal’s mother mad the right decision.
It is an award-winning hotel between the Marlow and Henley-on-Thames deep in beautiful rural Buckinghamshire. Visitors who come here are refreshed by the silence and beauty of the surroundings with acres and acres of Italian gardens and rolling hills with Thames in the background.
It was the perfect venue for a reception that combined the dignity of English aristocracy and Arabian lavish luxury to make for a spectacular reception for what was after all a Western-Middle East union. For all that, friends and relatives said it would be good for me to write about our experience in the party in Danesfield. (To be continued)

This writer wrote before about her friendship with Amals mother. She was also the one who revealed that Amal had a flat somewhere in London..... Not sure if i want to have a friend like that who writes about everything..... Now she writes "to be continued"... to make a part 2 to read about how she met George brings her good attention....Not sure what to think of her....Hope she published that soon......
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 01 Nov 2014, 08:43

Merged threads again...

can everyone please try to post all articles and stuff about the post wedding Party in London in this thread please and not created seperate threads. This would help to keep it all together and to avoid duplicate articles. Thank you anyway for your finds and posting it.  Thumbs up!
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Sat 01 Nov 2014, 09:27

Nicky80 wrote:
Sevens wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This writer wrote before about her friendship with Amals mother. She was also the one who revealed that Amal had a flat somewhere in London..... Not sure if i want to have a friend like that who writes about everything..... Now she writes "to be continued"... to make a part 2 to read about how she met George brings her good attention....Not sure what to think of her....Hope she published that soon......
Interesting find Sevens.Looking forward to part 2 and 3. She seems a bit disappointed that the invitation was an e-mail and not a real letter. I would be too. Do we know her name?

And now we have Baria's email adress. Smile

Interesting that Baria uses her maiden name as her email adress.

Last edited by Silje on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 09:31; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 01 Nov 2014, 09:45

Some people have several emails and use different names for each. It can get confusing if you have more than two emails for different things.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 01 Nov 2014, 10:08

Silje wrote:Interesting find Sevens.Looking forward to part 2 and 3. She seems a bit disappointed that the invitation was an e-mail and not a real letter. I would be too. Do we know her name?

And now we have Baria's email adress. Smile

Interesting that Baria uses her maiden name as her email adress.

The writers Name is Carmen Pedrosa you find some info about her in Amal General thread I think.
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sat 01 Nov 2014, 18:47

Nicky80 wrote:

’Its the strangest thing, the look on his face.….One or two of you might remember back to February this year, at MM premier in London.  I was on a mission to give him a fund raising idea for Sudan, “Clooney's Como Pasta Sauce’s”…...well if Paul Newman can crack 10 Billion why not?  
I actually handed my idea to Gio, who gave me back a handsome smile!!! And my darling Jo caught me on tape…. yikes!

At the time I was concerned he looked irritable, ashen, tetchy.  Not the same G at all.
Some of you asked me to elaborate, well here it is…..this is the look, the mood, the face, I was talking about back then.

I had to rush back to work as soon as I handed the paper over…. I had no idea if he “warmed up”.  Another COH poster, who was there, said he did, by the time he got to her he was in fine fettle.

On a purely coincidental note, funny how he had the same face on him, and Amal was wearing the same dress, on both nights.(cue spooky music)

On Saturday night it could be apprehension,  George surrounds himself with like minded people…....I am totally sure that people like Cindy, Randy, Bono, Matt…are absolutely the nicest and kindest people you could wish to meet….  .Saturday night he was about to face 200 people he wanted to make a good impression on, and he would not have a clue how his kindness, charisma, personality might be interpreted by a different cultures…. Any of us would feel the same.  

From reports he went down a storm!…..well, with the ladies.
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 01 Nov 2014, 20:02

I think being in the car, on a dark unknown twisty lane,
with all the camera flashes going off,
was pissing him off big time.
He would be concerned for the driver I'd imagine.
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by premiere Sat 01 Nov 2014, 22:29

Are my husband and I the only ones who fight before a social event? Just about every time we have to get all dressed up and use party manners, we're barely speaking by the time we get to the event. Either I'm taking too long, or he used all the hot water, or I can't get in the closet 'cause he's in there, or I'm hogging the mirror, whatever. 15 minutes into the party, we've forgotten about it. BTW, I know this is TMI. Maybe they were just stressed before this extravaganza and blew up at each other. I've probably worn the same expression as Amal many times. Much ado about nothing, IMO.
premiere
premiere
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Sun 02 Nov 2014, 13:39

Here is part two of  Philstar.

Search »

A woman who matters

Posted on Sunday Nov 2nd at 12:00am

FROM A DISTANCE By Carmen N. Pedrosa

DANESFIELD — It took some time before the hotel staff could  organize the incoming guests when the outgoing had not checked out. So we decided to go to the bar. Surprise, surprise.  Expecting to meet some Middle East bigwigs and oil tycoons we found instead Veronica’s media friends and colleagues from around the world. They were at the party because like us we were friends of Baria Alammudin, Amal’s mother who is the foreign editor of Al-Hayat.

So the excitement at Danesfield was not all about George Clooney or Hollywood. With the chattering media there the women in media, Baria’s friends were talking of all the world issues under the sun.

Motivated by a highly successful woman like her mother Baria, it is not surprising Amal became successful as a world-renowned barrister in the career she chose. It was a very friendly crowd made up of friends and relatives of the Alammudins and Meknas.

A letter personally addressed to both of us was waiting on top of the dresser table in our room saying “There will be a champagne reception held at the Grand Hall and the Versailles Suite where canapés will be served from 6.30 this evening until 8 p.m.  Escort cards will be there with your name and which table you will be seated on. You will be ushered through to the Marquee at 8 p.m. where dinner will be served. You will have a menu at your place setting where the waiting staff will take your order. Music and dancing will follow at 10 p.m. in the Versailles Suite until late and an evening buffet will be provided at midnight in the Chiltern suite. Breakfast will be served on Sunday morning from 7 a.m. until 10 a.m. in the Chiltern and the Versailles suites.” That, in a nutshell were the events of that unforgettable evening.

It was almost 3 o’clock in the afternoon when our room became ready to be occupied. We had to unpack our clothes as quickly as possible and then have them pressed and ready to wear. I brought an old black gown by Patis Tesoro that I had remodeled into a more modern version. Veronica had an orange pink gown made also by Patis.

There was a make-up room and hairdressing room on the ground floor for those who wanted it. I did not need any hairdressing because I had gone earlier to Philip de Vera’s shop, a Filipino who has made good in London and now has a posh shop of his own. I went through the notice so quickly and thought that we would be fetched from our rooms to be on time for the cocktails. But it was not necessary.

Baria, dressed in a gown by Saudi Ashi, and Ramzi stood by the Grand Hall to receive guests. There was a man in a red coat (described as the toastmaster in the letter to all visitors) who ushered the guests in after greeting Amal’s parents to the Grand Hall and Versailles suites. In a while the suites were packed as we all milled around the door to greet the couple when they came in.

When at last they showed up, Baria introduced George and Amal to the guests. They are a handsome couple.

I teased the Kuwaiti ambassador, “Gosh the whole Middle East was here.” Among those who attended were Jan Eliasson, deputy secretary general of the UN, former Prime Minister of Lebanon Saad Al-Hariri and a number of cabinet ministers from Lebanon, also the minister of culture of Bahrain Sheika Mai Alkhalifa and many Arab ambassadors to the court of St James, including the Dewayane of the diplomatic corp Khaled Al- Duwaisan and his wife Dala Alhumaidi and British ambassadors to the ME.

Everyone was moving around. It was a very friendly crowd made up of friends and relatives of the Alammudins and Miknas families. Akram Miknas was recently named as the most influential businessman in the Middle East byForbes Magazine.

The marquee could be seen from my hotel window in the distance. It was a short walk from the hotel and guests were eager to see what it would look like since it was decorated by a famous designer Ammar Bashir who is from Sudan. He is the designer to the stars and royalty.

When the guests were finally allowed into the marquee, it was a sight to behold. There was an orchestra at the front of the huge tent and the tables laid out under a canopied roof. Each table had flowers and a strange arrangement at the center of the table made of white parrots.

Veronica and I sat in the table for British ambassadors to the Middle East. I sat next to the British ambassador to Jordan’s wife. The UN representative of the Women in Iraq was mystified by the arrangement of parrots. She wanted to ask the designer what it was for. We talked about the conditions in Iraq and I was amazed that she stays on despite the difficulties in the troubled region.

Our table was number 5 and it was directly behind the presidential table with the bride and groom. Veronica was talking with another ambassador from across the table. Before I knew it, she had stood up and went to greet George in the next table. The handsome actor gallantly took her hand and kissed it as she poured her heart to please, please do something about the genocide against the Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar.  I did not know what the topic of conversation was all about but I was surprised that she had decided to talk directly about the issue that was haunting her for months now — how to save the Rohingya Muslims.

I looked in her direction wondering what it was about. The wife of the British ambassador to Jordan consoled me saying “I must give you credit for raising a daughter courageous enough to do that. For me it was the highlight of the evening.

Those in our table agreed that George and Amal with their popularity have a unique opportunity to take up world issues especially on human rights that otherwise would remain hidden from public knowledge.  The British diplomat in Iraq of Women in the UN agreed that it would be a welcome path for the newly weds — Amal and George — as advocates of what is good and human for the world. While it is true that George has already taken up some human rights issues as well, we hope Amal will take the lead for this initiative  they could take up as a couple.

When I was thinking of a title for this column, I thought of one that would describe Amal, more than just being the bride of George Clooney of Hollywood she should be Amal, a woman who matters.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by louisvillelaura Sun 02 Nov 2014, 13:45

premiere wrote:Are my husband and I the only ones who fight before a social event? Just about every time we have to get all dressed up and use party manners, we're barely speaking by the time we get to the event. Either I'm taking too long, or he used all the hot water, or I can't get in the closet 'cause he's in there, or I'm hogging the mirror, whatever. 15 minutes into the party, we've forgotten about it. BTW, I know this is TMI. Maybe they were just stressed before this extravaganza and blew up at each other. I've probably worn the same expression as Amal many times. Much ado about nothing, IMO.
I was thinking the same thing... my husband and I usually are irate with each other by the time we got out and are in the car.  But when we get to our event we're just fine!

louisvillelaura
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Sun 02 Nov 2014, 13:47

Interesting fact in the article above: Akram Miknas was recently named the most influential business man in the Middle East by Forbes Magazine.

I doesn't look like there is going to be a Part 3. I was waiting for the details of the dancing and partying.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 02 Nov 2014, 14:01

It was good to read some actual facts about the
occasion and maybe her daughter
made an impression on George regarding her plea.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 02 Nov 2014, 14:12

The next mrs clooney wrote:Have spun English isn't a Uk english phrase.  Its just one of those annoying google translate things that no one understands!

Maybe it was saying that "the couple spun away" which is an old fashioned phrase
referring to going for a drive in a car.
It was reported that the couple went back home earlier.

Think Downton Abbey type of speak....." Fancy a spin in the car my love ?"
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 02 Nov 2014, 18:23

What Would He Say, just so you know it was in the hotel that I saw His Nibs looking a Very Happy Bunny. I have a feeling he was not when he stepped out of the hotel and some people including some media types yelled things at him while trying to open his car door as he sped off through the London traffic. Take a look at some of the footage from the time. A media scrum to put it politely, but some people should have known better.

As for Carmen Pedrosa and the Joumana (?) lady, I have a feeling they're testing the limits of confidentiality to be honest - and must have been so annoyed that they were given the secure cameras and mobiles. They don't seem to be able to contain themselves and have to be the first to share the gossip and name dropping.......don't think that will go down too well

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 02 Nov 2014, 18:41

Guest at Danesfield House mentioned by her mother in her column......

Last edited by Nicky80 on Sun 02 Nov 2014, 19:38; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pic)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Sun 02 Nov 2014, 19:08

I like to taste the chocolate. Smile

And I am sure Baria knew what she did inviting her old journalist friend with her journalist daughter.  She didn't say anything bad except for the strange parrot arrangement.  And she given Amal a new good cause the Rohingya muslims in Burma.  Safe enough by Hollywood standards. I think Obama is going to visite Burma soon. Aung San Suu Kyi anyone?
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 02 Nov 2014, 19:35

Silje wrote:Interesting fact in the article above: Akram Miknas was recently named the most influential business man in the Middle East by Forbes Magazine.

I doesn't look like there is going to be a Part 3. I was waiting for the details of the dancing and partying.

You can read here a lot about Akram

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 02 Nov 2014, 19:42

Aung San Suu Kyi is Amal's heroine, which is why she chose St John's College, Oxford to go to. It was Aung San's choice.

Another quote from Veronica Pedrosa the day.......

“It is wrong to think that love comes from long companionship and persevering courtship. Love is the offspring of spiritual affinity and unless that affinity is created in a moment, it will not be created for years or even generations.” Khalil Gibran

Last edited by Nicky80 on Sun 02 Nov 2014, 19:47; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Sun 02 Nov 2014, 19:54

party animal - not! wrote:Aung San Suu Kyi is Amal's heroine, which is why she chose St John's College, Oxford to go to. It was Aung San's choice.

Oh my PAN  I didn't know that.  I think I am on psychic high roll  today. Smile
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 03 Nov 2014, 14:31

I had a fun and interesting conversation with an old friend who had attended a wedding some time ago of a Lebanese-born colleague. She said it was the most extravagant affair she'd ever been to (which is saying a lot for her) and went on for hours and hours. The guests were mostly family, but also people the family wanted to impress or ones they were "schmoozing."  Sound familiar? My friend came away with the impression that her colleague came from wealth that nobody at the job had been aware of, but that wasn't the case. She was told that that's just the way ambitious Lebanese families do things.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Mon 03 Nov 2014, 15:11

Yes Lebanese women will want to show off. I've got a friend whose friend is half-Lebanese. She's always showing off, the new shoes, clothes and handbags. And she doesn't get the fact that nobody seems to really like her. Helloooooooo ? pirat 

Now I don't believe in generalisations but some characteristics seem to be true. Lebanse women know they are beautiful and smart and they will let you know ! LOL!
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 03 Nov 2014, 16:10

Sorry, but I'm having an "I told you so" moment. I've felt from the beginning that all the over-the-top-ishness (I know - not a word) of this was coming mostly from her family and George just went along for the ride. God knows why. I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one who thought this was a possibility.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 03 Nov 2014, 17:12

Yeah, I thought from the beginning that George was on the "Well, if this is what she wants, I'm going to give her the best of it" wave. I can see him with a quick, quiet wedding with a massive blowout party afterwards. But hey, either way, it got done.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 03 Nov 2014, 17:52

Well, he was quoted by a friend as saying as much, wasn't he? 'He'd marry her tomorrow, but he wants her to have the wedding she wants'.......

It's pretty much what happens universally...but I also believe they both wanted the romantic and classy thing......

My husband wanted a  church service 'for the ceremony', but didn't believe in any of it, so I didn't think that was right either, so a civil service it was......

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 03 Nov 2014, 18:30

Way2Old, that makes sense. To me it does seem that much of the wedding and the after- wedding party came out of the traditions of Amal's family and the way they celebrate special events.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Cece42 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 18:52

I believe if you truly love someone you don't need the big splashy wedding, I believe a private wedding would have been more romantic, I didn't find this wedding romantic at all, but to each his own.

Cece42
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 03 Nov 2014, 19:01

Atalante wrote:Yes Lebanese women will want to show off. I've got a friend whose friend is half-Lebanese. She's always showing off, the new shoes, clothes and handbags. And she doesn't get the fact that nobody seems to really like her. Helloooooooo ? pirat 

Now I don't believe in generalisations but some characteristics seem to be true. Lebanse women know they are beautiful and smart and they will let you know ! LOL!

Not what I was saying at all, but okay...

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Mon 03 Nov 2014, 19:03

Cece42 wrote:I believe if you truly love someone you don't need the big splashy wedding, I believe a private wedding would have been more romantic, I didn't find this wedding romantic at all, but to each his own.

There is an entire wedding industry that seems to disagree with you about what's the most romantic.  Obviously a personal (and sometimes cultural) preference.   I don't think you can judge someone else's choices based on what you find more appealing.  (and I happen to prefer a non-splashy wedding myself....)

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 05 Nov 2014, 01:43

Another pic of the car entering the Danesfield House hotel drive.......George holding her hand?.............

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 05 Nov 2014, 01:44

Oops

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by ldg Wed 05 Nov 2014, 02:12

lol she looks totally bored.

ldg
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Wed 05 Nov 2014, 02:28

Sure that's George's hand
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Wed 05 Nov 2014, 09:33

very very bad photoshop.
only makes things ten x worse.
to my mind, WHY do special photoshop job?

[/i]

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Wed 05 Nov 2014, 10:08

Here is another little Monday quote from Stan.

Monday's quote. "A man who marries his mistress has created a job opening." Attributed to Oscar Wilde.

4:53pm - 30 juni 14
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Wed 05 Nov 2014, 14:58

In that last picture....if that is supposed to be
George's Hand then he's grown a new one
half way down his right arm !

Coolio
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 06 Nov 2014, 17:38

Helpfully, Hello! magazine have a few more names of guests for us at the bunfight..

They include Kate Silverton, BBC newscaster, and Gavin Esler, BBC World and Newsnight and other halves (Gavin's other half, Amy Phoebe, is involved in all sorts of music, prog rock, Middle Eastern) and this chap:

who was the UN's man in Darfur in 2006..........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 08 Dec 2014, 14:45

Stationery for the event:

Clooneys commission stationery from Shiplake

EUGENIE STREATHER had to keep it a secret when George Clooney and his new wife Amal Alamuddin commissioned her to produce the stationery for the celebration to mark their union.

The party for close family and friends was held at Danesfield House Hotel and Spa in Medmenham recently and the revellers reportedly had the place to themselves.

Apart from some paparazzi snaps of the 53-year-old actor and his lawyer wife being driven to the four-star venue from their new home in Sonning, nothing much was made public.

Eugenie, a mother-of-two from Shiplake, was asked to design the menus, place cards and table plans only a few weeks beforehand in order to keep the celebrity couple’s event a secret.

She says: “I was commissioned by Danesfield House for another couple earlier this year, so when I heard George was in the area I half-jokingly emailed asking if they needed anything.

“They called me much nearer the time because someone very close to the bride had seen my designs and liked them. I was over the moon and a bit shocked when they asked.

“I always feel that every wedding is important because it’s someone’s special day but obviously it was a bit more nerve-wracking knowing it was such a high-profile event.

“However, I’ve done it at the last minute before and pulled it off so I was pretty confident that I could do it. I prefer two weeks’ notice for printed items so there were a few late nights but that’s often the way it goes. You have to be flexible.”

Eugenie, who is 36, the same age as the bride, designed the stationery in black cursive script on a plain white background. She also made the couple a box in which to keep their wedding souvenirs.

She wasn’t invited to the celebration itself but delivered her handiwork the day before and left the Clooneys a note thanking them for their custom and wishing them a happy marriage. She wasn’t allowed to keep any of her work.

The former media sales and event organiser launched her stationery business Papetérie Eugenie four years ago, about a year after moving from London to Shiplake.

She was on maternity leave when she was asked to design the invitations for a colleague’s wedding.

She picked up more work through word of mouth and was soon winning enough orders to quit her job and put all her effort into her business. She is now the recommended stationer for couples marrying at not only Danesfield House but also Hedsor House in Taplow and Hampden House, near Great Missenden. She also has informal arrangements with Phyllis Court Club in Henley and Bix Manor.

The Clooneys were just one of three celebrity couples to have used her this year but she isn’t allowed to name the other two — couples being able to trust her is an important facet of her business.

Her ability to keep a secret may also one day enable Eugenie to realise her dream of designing the invitations for a royal wedding.

In the meantime, she is keeping her feet on the ground with the help of her husband, Tim, a software company director.

“He is very pleased for me,” says Eugenie. “He appreciates that it’s not just about sitting there making cards — it’s a viable career.”

And, of course, having clients who are Hollywood stars can’t be bad for business — even if you have to whisper it!

Published 08/12/14

Last edited by Nicky80 on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 19:25; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 08 Dec 2014, 14:57

Thanks PAN. Nice story.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by fridadereval Thu 11 Dec 2014, 15:17

To those interested in solving the "spun english" mystery:
It is a literal translation to the french expression "filer à l'anglaise" which literally means " escape the english style". It is an expression used to describe a situation when someone sneaks out of a gathering without making a big fuss or a big show that they are leaving and without telling your host. So that's I think what the article was referring to.
Interestingly and amusingly enough the English have a similar expression saying" taking a french leave". Makes you wonder what the French and the English customs were back when those expression originated...

fridadereval
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7