George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin? EmptyToday at 01:05 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin? EmptyToday at 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin? EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin? EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin? EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin? EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin? EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin?

+38
jusquatoi2014
Einstein
it's me
Carolina Gal
sparkie
melbert
Vilma
lelacorb
bamboochacha
Boshkash
Cece42
fava
party animal - not!
Pita428
Mazy
Butterfly
Carla97
Missa
silly girl
LizzyNY
LornaDoone
isogotit
Nicky80
Atalante
Ballycuan
playfuldeb
Way2Old4Dis
happycat
Rose
bellybaby
Joanna
ktsue2002
Sevens
theminis
annemarie
Lighterside
What Would He Say
Katiedot
42 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin?

Genuinely happy for them

Mixed feelings. Of course I'm happy if they're happy but also feel a bit sad for myself

I know I'm supposed to be happy for them but I'm not

I'm sad

I'm disappointed

I'm heartbroken

I'm angry

I'm jealous

I'm still so surprised at the news that I don't know what I feel

I don't believe it's true

View results

How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin? Empty How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin?

Post by Katiedot Tue 29 Apr 2014, 12:48

Ok, I know we're supposed to be really happy for George and Amal, and I kind of am, but also, isn't there a kind of sadness too?  I know we kind of skirted around this subject in the engagement thread and I think it's fine to share our feelings here.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin? Empty Re: How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin?

Post by What Would He Say Tue 29 Apr 2014, 13:03

Nice idea Katie...

Can I just stand here and sell boxes of tissues for the sad.
And Glass Coffins with fleet of six white horses for the profoundly sad.
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin? Empty Re: How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin?

Post by Lighterside Tue 29 Apr 2014, 13:08

Well I said when everyone was still debating if it was real that I wish them a long and happy marriage and lots of little ones around their table (that part of the wish is for Nick and Nina!) HA!
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 29 Apr 2014, 13:11

I am very happy for both of them. I am glad George has found love and is happy.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Tue 29 Apr 2014, 13:19

I'm happy too, it was a surprise in a way and a good one
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Tue 29 Apr 2014, 13:22

I wished for this pretty much the first day I joined here when everyone said he would never get married.
I am really happy for them at this special moment. Best wishes to their marriage. With a few kids in the future? George would be a great husband and father I'm sure.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ktsue2002 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 13:35

I voted mixed feelings about this. I am still a huge fan of his, but this does change my interpretation of who George Clooney is. Let me explain, when I was diagnosed with kidney disease back in 2005, I became a really big fan of his. Before that point, I was a little bit of fan, but I really hadn't watched ER nor had I watched all of his films. I was mildly motivated to watch, but if another flick looked more interesting, I would go see that.

However, when I was diagnosed with this disease, it forever changed my views on the world. I no longer could pretend like I had lots of tomorrows ahead of me. I was in a transition stage in my life. I hated my job, I hated what was happening to me, and I wanted something that I could hold on to for comfort. For some reason, watching George Clooney win the Oscar, really gave me hope for a brighter future rather than just dwell on my current illness. I had felt really alone, and GC and his work kept me wanting to get up in the morning. Since that time, I have faced the beginning stages of renal failure, having to be on dialysis and now I have a kidney transplant. Even on those really dark days, I had my GC, my impression of his life, his film work and his accolades to motivate me to fight another day.

Now, as I see his transitioning in his life, it is like I am having to transition in my life, well at least my feelings for him. I am still a big fan, and I wish him well, but for me, that fantasy of his life is gone. And to a certain degree, that fantasy of my own life is gone. Who the F#@#% wants to fantasize about someone is taken. Well, there are a few women, but as a true fan and being that I try to be decent, I just can't feel that way any more without feeling tremendous amounts of guilt and sadness.

This transition has really forced me to look at my own life. I even went to see a counselor yesterday because I felt so sorry for myself. I felt this sense of hope disappear. I do realize that I was never going to hook up with him, but that feeling of hope dwindled for the moment.

I realize I can still be a fan and still see his movies, and I plan to keep up my motivation, as he is still a source of happiness for me, but I have to redirect my fantastical romantic feelings towards my own aspirations for happiness for in the now.

I hope this explains my feelings. I really am happy for him, but I guess I am sad for myself a bit.

ktsue2002
ktsue2002
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 29 Apr 2014, 13:45

Thanks Katie for this thread.

I'm number 1...Genuinely happy for George that 
he's found his true love at last.

I had a grin on my face all day yesterday as more confirmations dribbled through. Icing on the cake were the two comments by his parents.

I've had a deep gut feeling about him and Amal since 
the Tanzanian picture and felt that this relationship was something special to George. When it became clearer that Amal was there with his family and friends in Cabo 
over Christmas my instinct deepened. 
He appeared to be protecting her.

As I've been a fan/admirer of George for 20+ years 
and following him on this forum, yesterday I felt 
as thrilled for him as I would for an old friend.
I even said that to my husband and he understood 
what I meant. 
Don't forget, I'm his mother's age, so look at things differently to a lot of the ladies here.
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Tue 29 Apr 2014, 13:50

Ktsue - hoping that your feelings of sadness will disappear as each day goes by and please don't ever lose hope - hope is wonderful, hope is what motivates all of us regardless of what it is we are hoping to achieve.

Understand about the fantasy aspect too, not much fun for me either dreaming of an engaged to be married George Clooney but that's the thing with fantasies and dreams, there are no rules!

Hold onto the happy feeling you have for him and the rest will follow x
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by bellybaby Tue 29 Apr 2014, 13:50

I haven't posted in a really long time, but for this, I had to come out of lurking.....

Why does everything about this engagement feel so.....weird??

I've always thought, like many of you, that George never wanted marriage simply because he hadn't met the right woman. On paper, I think Amal is a great choice; she's beautiful, and smart - nothing more appealing than that! But there's just something, maybe because she is smart, maybe it's Elizabeth Taylor gloating on FB...I don't know. If this relationship doesn't last, I'm betting that she's the one that calls it off.
Personally, I'm tired of hearing about how speaking three languages is a huge deal; 1 - She grew up in England, hence, she speaks English. 2 - Her parents are Arabic, it was most probably her first language. 3 - In the US, in highschool, and now in most college degrees, it's a requirement to take another language. If this is why/how she learned French - props to her for embracing it.
I just know too many people - especially Europeans - that speak three languages or more to make that an impressive quality to me. That'll be my snarkiest comment, promise.

And why is this relationship moving so fast? In Dec. G said he hadn't met his dream girl. In Jan., he had no aspirations of marriage. In April, he's engaged  Shocked  For someone who has no problem with drawn out relationships, why rush to engagement? If she loves him as much, why does there have to be a formal commitment - wouldn't she stick around anyway?

If G was really in love with her back in Dec and Jan, why give such vague answers at interviews? Or contradictory answers? I know - his personal life is private. Well, then don't go on interviews where they want to know about your personal life. That's why you're there. If they just wanted to know about the movie they'd go to IMDB. If he's "trying to protect her"...from what? I think she can probably handle herself. And then I wonder, what else does he say that isn't exactly truthful?

A big dinner on Weds. nite at a popular place, a big dinner on Thurs nite at a popular place...and not one pic....like not a cell phone, a tweet,possibly all the paps are on vacay...just weird.

And why is her law firm giving the big "confirmation" with their congrats??  And how did that come about? She told them, they said they wanted to announce, and she said OK?  Or did she ask them to announce it? They wouldn't do it without her consent - they are lawyers afterall and know all about confidentiality. Stan won't comment, G won't comment, her parents don't announce it. Her work does.  scratch 
We've heard from Nina. We've heard from Nick - he wants to wait for G's announcement. What the heck is G waiting for, exactly? He's broken his own vow of non-marriage, fallen in love with the ideal woman, gave her some huge ring....why wouldn't he be happy to come forward and confirm??

Last nite on E (I think) Guiliana was talking about the engagement, and they showed the video of G ducking behind the car.....still wonder what the heck that was about. Just weird.

So, how do I feel? Weird. Just weird.

bellybaby
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Tue 29 Apr 2014, 13:55

Bellybaby - I think weird perfectly sums up how many people are feeling, judging from comments here, twitter, facebook etc. You are not alone there.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Tue 29 Apr 2014, 14:12

I think it was said clearly that Esquire January interview was done in September. And I don't know when the W magazine was done likely not in December or November.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 29 Apr 2014, 14:24

If they are lucky, and have no interference from family and friends, then every couple handles their relationship in the way that suits them....even in the ordinary world, 
let alone the goldfish bowl world of Hollywood.

In the 60's where I worked, a couple came back from lunch one day and said "We've just been to the local Register Office and got married" and then just got back to their work.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Tue 29 Apr 2014, 15:47

Well, for me it is irrelevant whether he will marry or not, I like him as an actor but I think he deserved better. I do not think this beautiful woman. Here in my country everyone is saying she looks like a transvestite.

Rose
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by happycat Tue 29 Apr 2014, 17:18

Conflicted!  As a fan (and one-time fanatic!) of 32 years I am very happy to see him happy and with someone he loves.   I'm even a little thrilled that he met a woman who got him to "put a ring on it".
But for me, well, I feel a little bereft at losing a fantasy that I've relied on for so long.  It was not that I ever even thought I'd meet him but he was a pleasant daydream to fill my time while waiting in the grocery store, or doctor's office or even to occupy my mind while I did the mundane tasks of folding clothes or burning dinner.  I feel a little lost-a little empty.  What new daydream can take the place of the one I had for so long?
Feeling a bit like the Dolly Parton song "Hard Candy Christmas"---I'll be fine and dandy.
Wishing the happy couple many years of happiness♥
happycat
happycat
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Tue 29 Apr 2014, 17:30

This isn't necessarily my truest feeling, but I'm going to offer a bit of devil's advocacy, mostly to stir some shit.

After a long year of work and an unsettled release of a huge project, the rollout of which featured a good friend letting the world know that his pranks weren't always appreciated, and a funny-because-it's-true joke about his personal life broadcast around the world, George Clooney is told/realizes/finds out that his girlfriend has been cheating on him.

Now, in reality, he doesn't care that the girlfriend has strayed. He doesn't love her. But George Fucking Clooney has never - ever - before been the kind of man a woman cheats on. Maybe he's lost his golden touch.

So he looks in the mirror. And with the echoes of the old adage about crazy being doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, he examines a man who's about to hit 53, aging beautifully; but aging nonetheless. And he realizes that if he's ever going to live up to his voiced openness to true love, he better do it quick, while he can still get a woman who fits the Clooney profile, only better.

And... there she is. The all-around ideal woman. Someone he can be proud of for reasons other than her looks. And, in the male mind, she one-ups any wife of any guy in the circles in which he travels. Take that, bro.

He has to 'work' for it. He likes that. (We all notice that she said 'yes' on his third invitation, knowing that that would be his limit, but never mind that.) There are no too-soon announcements of love on Twitter. No InstaGram entourage. The people in his life are impressed with her and have hope rather than trepidation for him. It's different, so she must be different.

And all this converges into "I'm ready" and "She's the one."

...Which is all some men need to be very good husbands.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Tue 29 Apr 2014, 17:35

You ladies are incredible...being a George fan for 20 or 30 +years! 10 out of 10 
I've only lived no more than that long!(age 22 here and a fan of less than three years oopsie  )
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Tue 29 Apr 2014, 17:37

I have been saying since day one, that there is something not right here. Bellybaby does a good jon of saying a lot of the words that I feel. George does not have that look of being in love on his face. I've seen pics of him on the red carpet with other GFs where he looks like he really likes them, and I haven't seen that look since he's been with Amal. I still feel that this is a political coup to help both of their careers, a public showing of unity for whatever reason unknown to us at this time, or that she accidentally became pregnant.

If Rande and Cindy are such good friends, why haven't they issued any statement? Why hasn't Stan issued any statement? Why haven't any of his close friends, or even George, issued any statements? Nick's statement seems quite evasive (at least to me) and that set off warning bells to me. I realize that he must take a step back and be non-committal, but there is something not right in all of this. My gut is seldom wrong, and Im not buying this true and sudden love of George's.

I think they may get married. But I don't think it's love. If they do, I don't see it lasting.
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballycuan Tue 29 Apr 2014, 17:54

playfuldeb wrote:I have been saying since day one, that there is something not right here. Bellybaby does a good jon of saying a lot of the words that I feel. George does not have that look of being in love on his face. I've seen pics of him on the red carpet with other GFs where he looks like he really likes them, and I haven't seen that look since he's been with Amal. I still feel that this is a political coup to help both of their careers, a public showing of unity for whatever reason unknown to us at this time, or that she accidentally became pregnant.

If Rande and Cindy are such good friends, why haven't they issued any statement? Why hasn't Stan issued any statement? Why haven't any of his close friends, or even George, issued any statements? Nick's statement seems quite evasive (at least to me) and that set off warning bells to me. I realize that he must take a step back and be non-committal, but there is something not right in all of this. My gut is seldom wrong, and Im not buying this true and sudden love of George's.

I think they may get married. But I don't think it's love. If they do, I don't see it lasting.

My thoughts exactly...wish them happiness and love but I don't see it last either, sorry just had to say it...

Ballycuan
Shy poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Tue 29 Apr 2014, 18:19

My answer is: What a joke !  pointing 
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 18:26

@way2old4dis: I like the way you "stir some shit around" HAHA   
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by isogotit Tue 29 Apr 2014, 18:33

Yesterday I was bummed out over the news. And I'm still bummed today. Hope he does through with the wedding although a lot of people are saying he won't. She's isn't my pick because I still am not feeling her for our guy George. I too have read so many comments about how ugly she is and she looks like a guy in drag. But go forward George and live your life. My fantasy is now over.
isogotit
isogotit
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Tue 29 Apr 2014, 18:44

I wish people would look at someone's heart and not their outside features. She may be absolutely beautiful inside. I came to LA to be an actor and quit after one year because I was repeatedly told how ugly I was, by wardrobe, by makeup artists, by other actors. No one knew who I really was and the last time I was on set, was the last time anyone told me what a hideous freak I looked like and I left crying my heart out and never went back to acting, which was a life-long dream of mine. So, even tho Im not feeling this relationship, I will always give the benefit of the doubt that her mind and heart may be very beautiful and we shouldn't judge her by her outward appearances.
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 29 Apr 2014, 18:50

I'm just happy you can google "crotch" and her name and nothing comes up.

That being said, I'm sad that people are saying she looks like a transvite.  That is just so mean on so many levels.  I think that's all spite and jealousy.

Everyone has their own special beauty, whether inside or out and the fact that George finds her so is enough for me.

I do hope the marriage actually happens even though I do have a little nagging feeling about her past activities regarding Palestine/Israel.

I realize she's entitled to her own opinions, thoughts, causes, etc.  It's just that this one is very hot button for many people that it will take much diplomacy to circumvent any initial trepidation some might feel about the effect her goals in that area might be on George.

No one is going to be perfect.  George in fact might be a detriment to her career.  We really can't be sure how it might be percieved given that George also is very vocal and can be reactionary when he gets angry.

So it will be interesting to see if they can surmount any challenges that might come up should they have a serious difference of opinion and perhaps thoughts on tactics about any hot button situation.

In the rosy glow of first lust sometimes people dismiss any nagging thoughts and figure they can work them out.  Hopefully that will be the case should they reach that type of impass.

See I fear that Amal is somewhat like me. She doesn't seem to be the type of woman who accepted compromise in her life hence not havning married yet.  Her career and the respect she gets from it seem to be important to her.  And if there are any serious disagreements, she doesn't seem the type that will back down.  

Anyway, we'll see how this goes now won't we.  The camera's eyes will continue to be on them.  No media outlet is going to let George ride quietly into the sunset with his "true love."

His life will probably be more interesting to them given that they do come from such different backgrounds and everyone will be waiting to see if the shoe drops.

JMO

In the end I do wish them both happiness.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 29 Apr 2014, 19:07

Lorna - I just hope they work out any major differences BEFORE they get married. I'm not really concerned about the effect marriage will have on her career. She'll be fine. I'm more concerned about the effect marriage to her will have on George.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Tue 29 Apr 2014, 19:50

I'm in the mode of happycat and Ktsue....time to move on but move on to what....

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 29 Apr 2014, 20:01

Silly girl - I don't want to move on! I've been a fan since "Facts of Life" and "Roseanne", and I'm not gonna stop now. Besides, who is there really to move on to?  Question 
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Tue 29 Apr 2014, 20:05

Way2Old4Dis wrote:This isn't necessarily my truest feeling, but I'm going to offer a bit of devil's advocacy, mostly to stir some shit.

After a long year of work and an unsettled release of a huge project, the rollout of which featured a good friend letting the world know that his pranks weren't always appreciated, and a funny-because-it's-true joke about his personal life broadcast around the world, George Clooney is told/realizes/finds out that his girlfriend has been cheating on him.

Now, in reality, he doesn't care that the girlfriend has strayed. He doesn't love her. But George Fucking Clooney has never - ever - before been the kind of man a woman cheats on. Maybe he's lost his golden touch.

So he looks in the mirror. And with the echoes of the old adage about crazy being doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, he examines a man who's about to hit 53, aging beautifully; but aging nonetheless. And he realizes that if he's ever going to live up to his voiced openness to true love, he better do it quick, while he can still get a woman who fits the Clooney profile, only better.

And... there she is. The all-around ideal woman. Someone he can be proud of for reasons other than her looks. And, in the male mind, she one-ups any wife of any guy in the circles in which he travels. Take that, bro.

He has to 'work' for it. He likes that. (We all notice that she said 'yes' on his third invitation, knowing that that would be his limit, but never mind that.) There are no too-soon announcements of love on Twitter. No InstaGram entourage. The people in his life are impressed with her and have hope rather than trepidation for him. It's different, so she must be different.

And all this converges into "I'm ready" and "She's the one."

...Which is all some men need to be very good husbands.

THIS.  YES TO ALL OF THIS.  There's been a wave of "It's not cute anymore, George" building for sometime, in reference to both his romantic life and his pranks, which to me read like a need to be the center of attention.

playfuldeb wrote:I have been saying since day one, that there is something not right here. Bellybaby does a good jon of saying a lot of the words that I feel. George does not have that look of being in love on his face. I've seen pics of him on the red carpet with other GFs where he looks like he really likes them, and I haven't seen that look since he's been with Amal. I still feel that this is a political coup to help both of their careers, a public showing of unity for whatever reason unknown to us at this time, or that she accidentally became pregnant.

1) Rande and Cindy are good friends BECAUSE they don't comment on his personal life.  2) Stan is an employee, and issue statements when he's told. 3) I'm not sure how you get "evasive" from "She's a great girl, it'll be a great marriage, we're both overjoyed".  What could be more clear?

I will cheer the two of them on from over here, while I shine up my Cumberbitch badge. No rest for the wicked...Smile
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

How do you really feel about George Clooney getting engaged to Amal Alamuddin? Empty Thanks Amal Alamuddin, you've crushed my George Clooney fantasy

Post by Nicky80 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 20:40

This article is funny we all feel the same  Razz  as some were talking about fantasy  Very Happy 

Thanks Amal Alamuddin, you've crushed my George Clooney fantasy

I know my disappointment at Clooney's engagement is ridiculous, but his 'regular guy' act always gave me hope that I'd have a chance

It's a regular Sunday night and I am in bed. Peace reigns. My boyfriend is looking at his laptop attempting to engage me in conversation about something or other. But my eyes are locked on my phone screen as I scroll through Twitter with increasing dismay. "Oh no," I say. "Oh no." My boyfriend looks alarmed. "George Clooney's engaged!"

Yes, women – and men – across the world, despair: Hollywood actor Clooney – a name most commonly juxtaposed with the words "celebrated/eligible/notorious/eternal" and "bachelor/playboy" – is engaged to British human rights lawyer (huh) Amal Alamuddin.

The next morning I see a female friend. "Have you heard the bad news?" I ask. "Yeah, it's going to rain all week," she says. "Worse than that," I reply. "George Clooney's engaged!" She rolls her eyes: "Oh, who cares?" …"Who to?"

Yesterday, the Guardian's Ryan Gilbey took the sanguine view that this news was "unlikely" to have any impact on the dreams and fantasies of Clooney's audience who after all, he suggests, are "older" and have "enough experiences" to cope with the idea that glorious George ("silver-fox/commitment-phobe") is in fact taken.

Well, Ryan, I beg to differ. "Experiences" I may have, but nevertheless I cannot help feeling slightly miffed that Clooney is getting married. As an intelligent 39-year-old woman I know this is completely ridiculous. But the wonderful thing about Clooney ("Hollywood heart-throb/hunk/smoothie"), is that for an A-lister he seems strangely accessible. I, along with legions of others I am sure, have never been able to shake the idea that if Clooney and I happened to meet each other I'd be in with a chance. After all, Clooney has dated "civilians" before, including French waitress and law student Celine Balitran, and former cocktail waitress Sarah Larson.

But it is not just this fact that makes Clooney so accessible (at least in my imagination). Like all celebrities he is the repository of the hopes and dreams of his admirers, mirroring his audience's desires. His smart film choices (we'll agree to forget about Batman & Robin) and obvious intelligence are coupled with a dazzling, old-school charm and a self-deprecating wit, all of which serves to make him seem like a pretty normal – albeit extremely good looking – guy. Someone who, if he walked into your local, would be happy to chat over a pint or two. His "regular guy" act may be just that, an act. But if it is, it's the best role he's ever played.

And then there's his political activism and liberal views, which only serve to make him more appealing to his admirers. The way he deals with the inevitable rumours about his sexuality ("Who does it hurt if someone thinks I'm gay"?) is wonderfully beguiling, and that's before we've even started on his humanitarian work in Darfur and Haiti, not to mention his friendship with President Obama, recently in the news following Clooney's bust-up with Las Vegas casino mogul Steve Wynn. Clooney is the acceptable, grown-up face of a celebrity crush; a Harry Styles for the liberal intelligentsia, if you will.

A few years ago when I couldn't sleep, I'd lie there constructing an elaborate fantasy life for myself. In this life I am a successful journalist/screenwriter/novelist who has recently moved to Los Angeles. I meet Clooney under the pretext of a newspaper interview and get his attention by being deeply interested in his work in Darfur (and by being generally brilliant, of course). He and I start dating, and now, a few years later, we're pretty serious about each other. We don't live together yet – why would we? I have an amazing house in the Hollywood Hills with a swimming pool and avocado trees in the garden. But marriage is definitely on the cards. At least it was until Sunday night. Well played, Amal, well played.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 20:43

I didn´t check any box yet.

Bellybaby has some points, that I´ve heard over here also.

Trilingual. So? Very common in Europe. And doesn´t mean a person is any more intellectual than one speaking their mother tongue (English or other).

Time line. I don´t remember.Vague answers not sure what it means, he said he isn´t dating 3 women, but I´m not sure if she was among them, that he denied.

Anyways, I understand weird. I also understand there are at least 3 different motives his, hers and her lawyer firm´s. It´s pretty obvious by now. As long as everything works for all of them, all is good. Let´s hope it stays that way.

I have enjoyed this site, it has been great entertainment. When I was alone and not dating it was virtual safe heaven. Things have chanced a bit for me since december. But he contributed in giving me "an idea" what kind of man I like, never met him, but anyways. I hope being here has similar positive effect on people.  sunny 

Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 20:48

Yep, article has some truth in it. For many it can be so. Ouch.  affraid 
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly Tue 29 Apr 2014, 20:58

This is a fair question Katie, and I will answer sincerely. Halo 

I have mixed feelings.

This news abruptly changes my perception of George.  I need time to adapt to idea of him being a married man.  Sad  To me, George has been a beautiful inspiration,  symbol of freedom, creativity and life. Also, I hoped to meet him one day and talk over Nespresso voluto.  Embarassed  Now I must stop dreaming about this because he will be a married man. I would never dream about somebody else's husband. This would not be fair to his wife.

I think this is precisely what is making me sad: that I must stop dreaming. It feels so unnatural.  Sad 

I hope you understand me, my friends.  Hug1 

Also, I find these news conflicting...the majority of his past girlfriends was not intellectual. Now Amal is intellectual and suddenly there are statements that this is very important for him. I find some statements given these days to be insulting towards his previous girlfriends. They deserve respect too, because they shared life with him for many years. Also, Amal is intellectually above George.

Also, for decades, George had been saying that he would neither marry nor have children, ever. Suddenly - everything changes.

What I am trying to say is that, from my perspective as a fan of many years - this is a huge change. I need to adapt.

Of course, as I have already said in my previous posts - I congratulate George and Amal and wish them well.
 flower
Butterfly
Butterfly
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by ktsue2002 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 21:20

Butterfly wrote:This is a fair question Katie, and I will answer sincerely. Halo 

I have mixed feelings.

This news abruptly changes my perception of George.  I need time to adapt to idea of him being a married man.  Sad  To me, George has been a beautiful inspiration,  symbol of freedom, creativity and life. Also, I hoped to meet him one day and talk over Nespresso voluto.  Embarassed  Now I must stop dreaming about this because he will be a married man. I would never dream about somebody else's husband. This would not be fair to his wife.

I think this is precisely what is making me sad: that I must stop dreaming. It feels so unnatural.  Sad 

I hope you understand me, my friends.  Hug1 

Also, I find these news conflicting...the majority of his past girlfriends was not intellectual. Now Amal is intellectual and suddenly there are statements that this is very important for him. I find some statements given these days to be insulting towards his previous girlfriends. They deserve respect too, because they shared life with him for many years. Also, Amal is intellectually above George.

Also, for decades, George had been saying that he would neither marry nor have children, ever. Suddenly - everything changes.

What I am trying to say is that, from my perspective as a fan of many years - this is a huge change. I need to adapt.

Of course, as I have already said in my previous posts - I congratulate George and Amal and wish them well.
 flower

Butterfly, I agree with you 100 percent. I am actually taking advantage of the counseling at the University I attend offers this summer, just so I can adapt and learn what is behind my infatuation. I do believe this has to do more with my own life than him getting married. Having to deal with my own problems is now forcing me to see who GC really is to me. He is not the hero nor the saint, who refuses to marry, anymore. He is that guy with commitment issues who found a girl he believes to be perfect for him. I am a little skeptical. However, whether it works out or not is his problem. My problem is coming to terms with his engagement and learning from this experience and not letting it dictate who I am. Will I always be a GC fan? YEP!!! It is just an adjustment.

Just know that you are not alone feeling as you do. I am not ashamed to admit I was a bit hurt, but It is still good to be a George Clooney fan, but now when he sucks at a movie, I will be a little more inclined to say so. Hey, he's not my husband. LOL
ktsue2002
ktsue2002
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Tue 29 Apr 2014, 21:24

ktsue2002 wrote:I voted mixed feelings about this. I am still a huge fan of his, but this does change my interpretation of who George Clooney is. Let me explain, when I was diagnosed with kidney disease back in 2005, I became a really big fan of his. Before that point, I was a little bit of fan, but I really hadn't watched ER nor had I watched all of his films. I was mildly motivated to watch, but if another flick looked more interesting, I would go see that.

However, when I was diagnosed with this disease, it forever changed my views on the world. I no longer could pretend like I had lots of tomorrows ahead of me. I was in a transition stage in my life. I hated my job, I hated what was happening to me, and I wanted something that I could hold on to for comfort. For some reason, watching George Clooney win the Oscar, really gave me hope for a brighter future rather than just dwell on my current illness. I had felt really alone, and GC and his work kept me wanting to get up in the morning. Since that time, I have faced the beginning stages of renal failure, having to be on dialysis and now I have a kidney transplant. Even on those really dark days, I had my GC, my impression of his life, his film work and his accolades to motivate me to fight another day.

Now, as I see his transitioning in his life, it is like I am having to transition in my life, well at least my feelings for him. I am still a big fan, and I wish him well, but for me, that fantasy of his life is gone. And to a certain degree, that fantasy of my own life is gone. Who the F#@#% wants to fantasize about someone is taken. Well, there are a few women, but as a true fan and being that I try to be decent, I just can't feel that way any more without feeling tremendous amounts of guilt and sadness.

This transition has really forced me to look at my own life. I even went to see a counselor yesterday because I felt so sorry for myself. I felt this sense of hope disappear. I do realize that I was never going to hook up with him, but that feeling of hope dwindled for the moment.

I realize I can still be a fan and still see his movies, and I plan to keep up my motivation, as he is still a source of happiness for me, but I have to redirect my fantastical romantic feelings towards my own aspirations for happiness for in the now.

I hope this explains my feelings. I really am happy for him, but I guess I am sad for myself a bit.

I am with ktsue on much of what she has to say. I feel something inside of me has died ad I will never get it back. Now what am I to do with the rest of my life(selfish)? I also love him for the man I perceive him to be most defiantly not the celeb. I also worry that we have not seen the boys around for sometime. While Grant might be ok for Smokehouse he is no George.

The last few Darfur articles I posted are really getting to me my son-in-law said why don't you stop for awhile. Tha was my biggest connection to George. (In my mind) I truly pray this will be great for them. But the 10-12 hours I spend a day on him is empty no, you cannot just say I'll love so& so now. Besides with my failing eyes cannot start a new, his image is planted in my minds eye.

I believe George cared about his ladies but him felt acceptable so your fantasy life was able to exist or obsession as my family says. Wasn't ready for all this.

I picked #2 because I always will wat George to be happy.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Tue 29 Apr 2014, 22:04

I still think that this wedding will be an agreement to benefit both parties.

Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Tue 29 Apr 2014, 22:07

Most marriages are.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Tue 29 Apr 2014, 22:25

Exactly Ive usually found that when 2 people decide to marry they are in agreement with it!!!
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Pita428 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 23:05

Unless of course it's of the shotgun variety, which I don't think this is.
Pita428
Pita428
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 29 Apr 2014, 23:11

Found by pan:

Thanks Amal Alamuddin, you've crushed my George Clooney fantasy

I know my disappointment at Clooney's engagement is ridiculous, but his 'regular guy' act always gave me hope that I'd have a chance

It's a regular Sunday night and I am in bed. Peace reigns. My boyfriend is looking at his laptop attempting to engage me in conversation about something or other. But my eyes are locked on my phone screen as I scroll through Twitter with increasing dismay. "Oh no," I say. "Oh no." My boyfriend looks alarmed. "George Clooney's engaged!"

Yes, women – and men – across the world, despair: Hollywood actor Clooney – a name most commonly juxtaposed with the words "celebrated/eligible/notorious/eternal" and "bachelor/playboy" – is engaged to British human rights lawyer (huh) Amal Alamuddin.

The next morning I see a female friend. "Have you heard the bad news?" I ask. "Yeah, it's going to rain all week," she says. "Worse than that," I reply. "George Clooney's engaged!" She rolls her eyes: "Oh, who cares?" …"Who to?"

Yesterday, the Guardian's Ryan Gilbey took the sanguine view that this news was "unlikely" to have any impact on the dreams and fantasies of Clooney's audience who after all, he suggests, are "older" and have "enough experiences" to cope with the idea that glorious George ("silver-fox/commitment-phobe") is in fact taken.

Well, Ryan, I beg to differ. "Experiences" I may have, but nevertheless I cannot help feeling slightly miffed that Clooney is getting married. As an intelligent 39-year-old woman I know this is completely ridiculous. But the wonderful thing about Clooney ("Hollywood heart-throb/hunk/smoothie"), is that for an A-lister he seems strangely accessible. I, along with legions of others I am sure, have never been able to shake the idea that if Clooney and I happened to meet each other I'd be in with a chance. After all, Clooney has dated "civilians" before, including French waitress and law student Celine Balitran, and former cocktail waitress Sarah Larson.

But it is not just this fact that makes Clooney so accessible (at least in my imagination). Like all celebrities he is the repository of the hopes and dreams of his admirers, mirroring his audience's desires. His smart film choices (we'll agree to forget about Batman & Robin) and obvious intelligence are coupled with a dazzling, old-school charm and a self-deprecating wit, all of which serves to make him seem like a pretty normal – albeit extremely good looking – guy. Someone who, if he walked into your local, would be happy to chat over a pint or two. His "regular guy" act may be just that, an act. But if it is, it's the best role he's ever played.

And then there's his political activism and liberal views, which only serve to make him more appealing to his admirers. The way he deals with the inevitable rumours about his sexuality ("Who does it hurt if someone thinks I'm gay"?) is wonderfully beguiling, and that's before we've even started on his humanitarian work in Darfur and Haiti, not to mention his friendship with President Obama, recently in the news following Clooney's bust-up with Las Vegas casino mogul Steve Wynn. Clooney is the acceptable, grown-up face of a celebrity crush; a Harry Styles for the liberal intelligentsia, if you will.

A few years ago when I couldn't sleep, I'd lie there constructing an elaborate fantasy life for myself. In this life I am a successful journalist/screenwriter/novelist who has recently moved to Los Angeles. I meet Clooney under the pretext of a newspaper interview and get his attention by being deeply interested in his work in Darfur (and by being generally brilliant, of course). He and I start dating, and now, a few years later, we're pretty serious about each other. We don't live together yet – why would we? I have an amazing house in the Hollywood Hills with a swimming pool and avocado trees in the garden. But marriage is definitely on the cards. At least it was until Sunday night. Well played, Amal, well played.

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 23:21

Thanks Lorna and PAN, I posted the article here earlier on. I made an extra thread as I found it so funny. But I was thinking to post it here LOL

Shall we merge?

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 29 Apr 2014, 23:24

Nicky80 wrote:Thanks Lorna and PAN, I posted the article here earlier on. I made an extra thread as I found it so funny. But I was thinking to post it here LOL

Shall we merge?

Yep. Done.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 23:25

Thumbs up! 
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 29 Apr 2014, 23:27

Thank you, Lovely Three!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Tue 29 Apr 2014, 23:37

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation 

Last 30 minutes of Daily Clooney Deal

So far we have sold;

13 boxes of happy/sad tissues

1 Glass Coffins with 6 White Horses.

I think we can surmise, failing a last minute crisis.....

We, on COH are very concerned... but not dead in the water.

Unlike poor "Ophelia" from Huddersfield, we feel your pain, but get the hell out of the water. George, will be fine.  Waite! don't get wet, until the wedding actually happens.

Last edited by what would he say on Wed 30 Apr 2014, 00:43; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Lots of wwwwwww)
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Wed 30 Apr 2014, 01:23

Way2Old4Dis wrote:Most marriages are.

I meant that this relationship is false. There is no love or emotional involvement, only a financial contract that benefits both parties

Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Wed 30 Apr 2014, 02:28

Angie30 wrote:

I meant that this relationship is false. There is no love or emotional involvement, only a financial contract that benefits both parties

On what are you basing stating this as a fact (rather than speculation on your part)?

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Cece42 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 02:29

I really can't see him with this girl, for some reason she reminds me of a spoiled rich girl. She was raised privileged. I would like to see him with someone more of the homebody type. And lets not forget she is still 17 years younger than him.

Cece42
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Wed 30 Apr 2014, 02:56

Angie30 wrote:

This is a terrible thing to say, no way George is getting engaged as a business deal.

And Cece how do you know she is a spoiled rich kid?
I don't want to have to defend Amal; I'm hurting. However you cannot tell anny of your comments on what we have seen of her and this is so unfair and cruel to say.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 30 Apr 2014, 03:02

I'm still not crazy about her, but for his sake I do hope their relationship is real. He needs someone in his life who is there for him because they care bout him, not because of what he can do for them.

It's really getting on my nerves that so many sources say he should consider himself lucky that she's interested in him - that she's somehow too good for him. She's an ambitious lawyer who hs done well for herself. That doesn't make her Mother Theresa.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Wed 30 Apr 2014, 03:12

Lizzy, actually I'm bored with those reports.
They have said Amal is on/above his level. Next step is to say she isn't good enough for him? Guess they'll save that for the BIG IF they split.
The media are always finding some cause for whatever stories. Calm down and be cool with that. Very Happy 
I don't think George would be bothered by those claims. They can't change anything inside their relationship.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next