George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 2 EmptyToday at 10:30 by party animal - not!

»  George filming new film in UK
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 2 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 2 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Amal Alamuddin and her work

+24
amaretti
Missa
Way2Old4Dis
annemarie
Katiedot
Joanna
fava
/
LizzyNY
Alisonfan
melbert
kat19
jusquatoi2014
Jenn
oldweston
LornaDoone
Donnamarie
Hebe
party animal - not!
lelacorb
it's me
Silje
Nicky80
PigPen
28 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 2 Empty Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by kat19 Mon 09 Feb 2015, 03:35

party animal - not! wrote:Thanks very much for this, Kat. 

In a way you could sort of read between the lines that this was the case. John Baird didn't give me the impression that a lot was being done diplomatically, or if it was it felt like too little too late.

Do you know the reasons (or can you surmise?) for his hasty resignation?

No I don't know the reasons for his resignation, there's a lot of speculation floating around about it. Could be one of many things. Could have been a falling out with the PM, could be scandals that are just around the corner, or could just be his desire to leave politics. Can't say for certain. 

As for Fahmy's trial, his brother said that Amal is going to Cairo whether or not she is granted a meeting with the President. They are submitting a request to the justice department in Egypt so they can let her enter the court and present a defence for Fahmy. His brother said that she has been great support for them and is a friend to them now. She has been lobbying different governments and the United Nations, she has written the annex to his appeal, and has been coordinating with his Egyptian lawyer in Cairo, and has waved 90% of her legal fees. They were excited about him being released this past week and she was planning to travel to Toronto to meet with them there. But now she's going to Cairo. Just really sad news, and devastating for all of them.

kat19
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 09 Feb 2015, 03:47

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Fahmy's family 'devastated' as retrial set to begin in Egypt Thursday

Brother says family 'in shock' that journalist wasn't released

CBC News Posted: Feb 08, 2015 9:33 AM ET Last Updated: Feb 08, 2015 3:18 PM ET
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Hopes were raised that Mohamed Fahmy would be released soon after Egyptian officials freed his colleague, Australian Peter Greste, last week. (Heba Elkholy, El Shorouk/Canadian Press/Associated Press)

The brother of detained Canadian journalist Mohamed Fahmy says the family is "shocked" and "devastated" that a retrial has been set for him and another Al-Jazeera journalist jailed in Egypt.
Adel Fahmy told CBC News on Sunday that their lawyer, Amal Clooney, was told by the Canadian ambassador that there were "100 per cent" assurances that his brother's release was "a done deal."
"And today, when I heard the news, I heard it from the television. I was actually at the prosecutor's office trying to figure out why it has not been implemented yet," he said.
Fahmy said the Canadian government should have pushed harder with a "more aggressive approach" to free his brother. 
"Now my brother has to go through a circus of a retrial again. It's just unbearable," said Fahmy. "We are devastated. We literally had our bags were packed. We had a press conference room in Toronto booked for when my brother arrives so that Ms. Amal Clooney and him can start a press conference to highlight and celebrate his freedom."
Fahmy said the government was too soft in its reaction and accused them of employing "diplomatic rhetoric" by using phrases like "deeply concerned."
"The Americans don't even have a defendant in this case and when the verdict was announced, they said it was a 'draconian' verdict," he said.
-— Adel Fahmy about his journalist brother wrote:'He is now on paper fully Canadian.'
Fahmy said his brother renounced his Egyptian citizenship because authorities there had told him that was the best way he could gain release.
"He is now on paper fully Canadian," said Fahmy. "You know, we are a family that respects the values of the two constitutions and we grew up in Egypt and Canada.
"To be stripped of your nationality and be placed in the position of, 'It's either jail or your nationality,' it was not easy for him.
"Suddenly, he finds himself in a cage again in court," said Fahmy. "We don't have any sense of what went wrong whatsoever.
"It seems that the prosecutor didn't sign off on it," he said.

Retrial set for Thursday

The session for the retrials has been set for Feb. 12, according to Mostafa Nagy, the lawyer for Egyptian journalist Baher Mohamed.
"Our next step is to start planning a defence again and hope we can, that he will be vindicated and we have to fight on and continue to fight this battle," said Fahmy.
"My brother considers it a battle against freedom of the press and he will continue to fight. We have no other choice," he said.
Mohamed Fahmy and Baher have been in a Cairo jail since December 2013, when they and Al-Jazeera colleague Australian journalist Peter Greste were arrested and accused of aiding the Muslim Brotherhood.
Greste was freed on Feb. 1, although one month earlier a court had ordered a retrial for him and his two colleagues.
The three were sentenced to seven to 10 years on charges including spreading lies to help a terrorist organization.
Clooney has requested a meeting with Egypt's president and foreign minister to speak to them on Fahmy's behalf.
"Despite clear assurances that he would be released, Mr. Fahmy remains in detention in Egypt," Clooney said in a letter obtained by the media on Saturday.
The letter asks for a meeting with President Abdel Fatah el-Sisi or his officials "as soon as possible."
Clooney said lawyers for the journalist had been told after Greste was released and deported that Fahmy's release would be "imminent." Last Monday, former Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird also said Fahmy’s release was "imminent," but did not elaborate.

"Canada is deeply concerned with the announcement that a retrial date has been set despite assurances that Mr. Fahmy would be released along with his colleague, Peter Greste," Minister of State for Consular Affairs Lynne Yelich said in a statement Sunday.

"Canada calls for the immediate release of Mr. Fahmy. I have, along with former Minister Baird, continued to raise this government's concerns regarding Mr. Fahmy's case with senior Egyptian officials and I will continue to do so. We remain hopeful that Mr. Fahmy's case will be resolved in a timely manner," Yelich said.

Fahmy family statement on news of the retrial:
"Mohamed never requested that he drops his citizenship. The authorities visited him before the appeal hearing on January 1st. and made a deal with him to renounce it in return for his freedom claiming this was the only way out for him and Peter. It was one of the most difficult decisions he has ever taken that has left him demoralised.
Now, the general prosecutor is complicating matters even though both the presidency and the prime minister have expressed their desire to let him go as soon as possible
Yes, we are worried and we have been let down by the Canadian government's conservative approach in the handling of the case. That is also the feeling of the Egyptian officials and public figures sympathising with us who are shocked that the Canadian prime minister had not intervened yet to expedite matters while the Australian most senior official has done an outstanding job in the release of his colleague Peter Greste. Amnesty, Human Rights Watch, CJFE, Canadian media, and Fahmy and his lawyers have all called openly and privately on prime minister Harper to take a stand but he has failed us immensely. We are now doing the leg work ourselves as a family knocking the doors of the prosecutor, foreign ministry and presidency. Amal Clooney our lawyer is well respected here in the Egyptian diplomatic community and will be arriving to Cairo soon.
She had planned to fly from LA to Toronto to meet Fahmy upon his release but she hopes they can fly together out of Cairo toward freedom. The trial date on Feb 12th represents our worst nightmare, to have to go through another circus of a retrial."
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 09 Feb 2015, 03:59

Thanks kat19 for your perspective on this as a Canadian.

I still don't understand why back in January Baird wouldn't meet with Amal and Waldman when they requested a meeting with him prior to Baird's trip to Egypt?  I'm sure Amal and Waldman could have been a big help to Baird in helping to plan the strategy for making the best case for Fahmy.  Just seems like he 
wasnt that invested in or cared enough to do whatever it took to gain Fahmy's release. 

And what happened?  Why did everything up to the supposed "imminent" release just evaporate?  This is so confusing.  Did the Canadian government misread the Egyptian government's intentions on releasing Fahmy? 
Sounds like Baird really botched the negotiations.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Mon 09 Feb 2015, 04:11

Donnamarie wrote:Thanks kat19 for your perspective on this as a Canadian.

I still don't understand why back in January Baird wouldn't meet with Amal and Waldman when they requested a meeting with him prior to Baird's trip to Egypt?  I'm sure Amal and Waldman could have been a big help to Baird in helping to plan the strategy for making the best case for Fahmy.  Just seems like he 
wasnt that invested in or cared enough to do whatever it took to gain Fahmy's release. 

And what happened?  Why did everything up to the supposed "imminent" release just evaporate?  This is so confusing.  Did the Canadian government misread the Egyptian government's intentions on releasing Fahmy? 
Sounds like Baird really botched the negotiations.

No one knows what happened....apparently even the lawyers are completely confused as to what went wrong here. The Canadian government officials have all been banging the same drum about his "imminent" release and giving assurances to Amal and everyone involved on Fahmy's side that he was definitely 100% going to be released. And now this re-trial. It's just baffling. 

So it's really just up to the lawyers now because the Canadian government has just pissed all over this. Amal and company need some muscle on their side in the form of the government but it does not look like they are going to get anything from them, they've certainly been ineffectual up to now and it looks like the lawyers are no longer holding their breath for help either. Thus the requests for Amal to meet with senior Egyptian officials herself. I don't think she is going to be granted that either but I hope for Fahmy's sake she is. They're going to need a miracle at this point.

kat19

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Mon 09 Feb 2015, 13:51

kat19 wrote:

In a way you could sort of read between the lines that this was the case. John Baird didn't give me the impression that a lot was being done diplomatically, or if it was it felt like too little too late.

No I don't know the reasons for his resignation, there's a lot of speculation floating around about it. Could be one of many things. Could have been a falling out with the PM, could be scandals that are just around the corner, or could just be his desire to leave politics. Can't say for certain. 

As for Fahmy's trial, his brother said that Amal is going to Cairo whether or not she is granted a meeting with the President. They are submitting a request to the justice department in Egypt so they can let her enter the court and present a defence for Fahmy. His brother said that she has been great support for them and is a friend to them now. She has been lobbying different governments and the United Nations, she has written the annex to his appeal, and has been coordinating with his Egyptian lawyer in Cairo, and has waved 90% of her legal fees. They were excited about him being released this past week and she was planning to travel to Toronto to meet with them there. But now she's going to Cairo. Just really sad news, and devastating for all of them.

Maybe all this jumping up and down IS EXACTLY WHY THEY NOW GO FOR RE-TRIAL!!!! She go- they like it or not!

And stupid PPL say more of attention the better, but for WHO??? Do you think.

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 09 Feb 2015, 14:49

Abc News this morning

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 09 Feb 2015, 14:53

Oh, and the Tymoshenko case has been resolved today in the European Court, Strasbourg

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 09 Feb 2015, 15:10

Oh, and Alison, Amal would have been doing this stuff anyway, whether she married the dustman or one of the most famous men on the planet.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 09 Feb 2015, 15:11

Thanks PAN for the updates.  In re the GMA piece I wish they could have just stuck to her involvement in the case instead of having to highlight her wedding, fashion sense and the annointment by Walters as 2014's most fascinating person.  I think everyone knows who Amal is now and the facts of this case are compelling enough without having it become a celebrity piece.  Oh well.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 09 Feb 2015, 16:11

Donnamarie wrote:Thanks PAN for the updates.  In re the GMA piece I wish they could have just stuck to her involvement in the case instead of having to highlight her wedding, fashion sense and the annointment by Walters as 2014's most fascinating person.  I think everyone knows who Amal is now and the facts of this case are compelling enough without having it become a celebrity piece.  Oh well.

Yes I agree.....but I suppose it's still "special news" to some journos and 
they can't resist repeating everything.

Hopefully all the frippery about Amal Clooney will die down soon
and she can be reported on in an intelligent manner.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Feb 2015, 17:46

Alisonfan wrote:Maybe all this jumping up and down IS EXACTLY WHY THEY NOW GO FOR RE-TRIAL!!!! She go- they like it or not!

Are you really trying to suggest that this is Amal attention-seeking?

Can you not understand that this is what she would be doing without a spotlight? That if she hadn't married George Clooney, that she would still be approaching her work in exactly the same way as she now is.

And really, if the 'Clooney-related-news' angle gives the lawyers concerned and the case in question higher visibility, then how can that be seen as anything other than a good thing for the individual/s at the heart of the case?  Surely that's all that matters?

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 09 Feb 2015, 18:23

She's now part of another case - in Northern Ireland according to the BBC

Amal Clooney to represent 'hooded men' in torture legal case

An international human rights lawyer and wife of Hollywood star George Clooney has joined a legal team representing a group known as the "hooded men".

Amal Clooney is part of a team representing 10 men taking the UK to the European Court of Human Rights.

The men allege they were tortured when they were held without trial in Northern Ireland in August 1971.

Their claim is being backed by the Irish government.
Appeal
Fourteen men claimed they were hooded, forced to listen to constant loud static noise, deprived of sleep, food and water, forced to stand in a stress position and beaten if they fell.

Some were also thrown from helicopters while their heads were covered with hoods.

They were told they were hundreds of feet in the air and believed they were going to be thrown to their deaths, while in reality they were only about 20 ft from the ground.

In 1976, the European Commission on Human Rights upheld a complaint by the Irish government that the men had been tortured, a ruling that was later overturned on appeal.

The European Court ruled that the men had been subjected to inhumane and degrading treatment, but not torture.

Last edited by Nicky80 on Mon 09 Feb 2015, 19:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Mon 09 Feb 2015, 20:14

Alisonfan wrote:
kat19 wrote:

Maybe all this jumping up and down IS EXACTLY WHY THEY NOW GO FOR RE-TRIAL!!!! She go- they like it or not!

What the hell are you talking about? This is what lawyers do. They are not paid to sit quietly and do nothing. They are paid to advocate on their client's behalf. It's not "jumping up and down", it's called being a lawyer. 

You're making absolutely NO SENSE.

kat19

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Mon 09 Feb 2015, 20:19

Donnamarie wrote:Thanks PAN for the updates.  In re the GMA piece I wish they could have just stuck to her involvement in the case instead of having to highlight her wedding, fashion sense and the annointment by Walters as 2014's most fascinating person.  I think everyone knows who Amal is now and the facts of this case are compelling enough without having it become a celebrity piece.  Oh well.

I think it's just because it was an American broadcast and they don't have a defendant in this case, so they focused on Amal rather than the facts of the case unfortunately.

The Canadian broadcasts have been way more focused on Fahmy. People are finally waking up to it here in the past day or so. Amal is mentioned as well as they cover the story but the news is doing a much better job reporting the case unlike the fluff piece on GMA.

kat19

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 10 Feb 2015, 04:01

kat19 there are posters here who only have negative things to say about Amal.  Best to ignore their comments because discussion is not their goal - only agitation.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Tue 10 Feb 2015, 08:40

LornaDoone wrote:kat19 there are posters here who only have negative things to say about Amal.  Best to ignore their comments because discussion is not their goal - only agitation.

Yes it's pretty obvious there are some posters who let their resentment towards Amal colour their judgment in every single comment they make on this board. They're not worth the effort it takes to reason with them.

kat19

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 10 Feb 2015, 13:45

kat19 wrote:
LornaDoone wrote:kat19 there are posters here who only have negative things to say about Amal.  Best to ignore their comments because discussion is not their goal - only agitation.

Yes it's pretty obvious there are some posters who let their resentment towards Amal colour their judgment in every single comment they make on this board. They're not worth the effort it takes to reason with them.

I'll second that!
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 10 Feb 2015, 14:58

Donnamarie wrote:
kat19 wrote:

I'll second that!

Can I third it ?  

But hasn't it always been the same about George's lady friends ?
I think it's calmed down a bit now that it's his wife.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 11 Feb 2015, 22:11

A letter to Stephen Harper, Canadian Prime Minister today asking for action in Fahmy case ahead of re-trial starting tomorrow. There's a feeling that there's a chance he could still be deported if Harper contacted Sisi.

Amal's different cases also featuring on E! tonight and People.com

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Wed 11 Feb 2015, 23:12

party animal - not! wrote:A letter to Stephen Harper, Canadian Prime Minister today asking for action in Fahmy case ahead of re-trial starting tomorrow. There's a feeling that there's a chance he could still be deported if Harper contacted Sisi.

Amal's different cases also featuring on E! tonight and People.com

Thanks pan for posting.....

We can only hope for a good result from this letter. sunny
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 12 Feb 2015, 04:05

I wonder if she is in Cairo now.  The letter from Amal to the PM was written last week.  And Fahmy's brother said last week that Amal was going to Cairo whether or not she got a meeting with the Egyptian President.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Thu 12 Feb 2015, 04:15

The trial is supposed to start tomorrow, so I would ASSume that she is there.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 12 Feb 2015, 11:42

Mohamed Fahmy out on bail. Court appearance today:

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 12 Feb 2015, 11:47

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Thu 12 Feb 2015, 11:58

Where's is Mrs Clooney?

Cabo?

No! No! booking room for press conference.  Rolling Eyes

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 12 Feb 2015, 14:10

party animal - not! wrote:Mohamed Fahmy out on bail. Court appearance today:

So I understand that the trial is supposed to resume at the end of the month, according to a radio report I heard this morning.   Wonder if it's Sisi's intention to deport Fahmy before that trial starts and avoid going through this whole "circus act" again.  Sisi just doesn't want to show his whole hand here yet.  And since both men are out on bail do they have to stay in Cairo until the trial.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Thu 12 Feb 2015, 15:10

Alisonfan wrote:Where's is Mrs Clooney?

Cabo?

Get a life.

Fahmy's brother said on Canadian news that because of the abrupt announcement of the re-trial, she only had 3 days to prepare for it and she wasn't going to be able to make it to Cairo on time for the opening of the trial. She is in Los Angeles. She prepared the case and was instructing Fahmy's Egyptian lawyer from LA. She also had to wait for some sort of permit to come through for her without which she could not enter the court, they said as soon as she got that she would be there. But she was the one instructing the Egyptian lawyer anyway from LA. The Egyptian lawyer presented their material today in court, and now Fahmy has been released with bail which is excellent news. But he's not in the clear completely yet. Next court date is Feb 23. She will probably be there for that. 

Fahmy's brother said that she has been doing everything she can to help him, she is the lead lawyer on this case for him, so why don't you calm the eff down and stop jumping all over her every time you see an opening for snark. You don't even know what the hell is going on behind the scenes, so again, get a life. 

The only reason you ever come into this thread is to criticize and throw around rude snark about Amal. You have shown NO interest in the actual case or the fate of Fahmy...you're just hear to take a piss on Amal because you think that's fun or something? So much resentment towards someone you don't even know? wow. 

Instead of being happy that an innocent man is out of jail, your first instinct is to try and ridicule Amal. She worked hard along with her colleagues on the case and Fahmy will now get to spend time with his family and be out of prison and is closer to complete freedom. You can't just be happy about that? What a sad person you must be.

I don't know why I even bother responding to your bullshit. But this needed to be said.

Last edited by kat19 on Thu 12 Feb 2015, 15:24; edited 2 times in total

kat19

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Thu 12 Feb 2015, 15:21

Donnamarie wrote:
party animal - not! wrote:Mohamed Fahmy out on bail. Court appearance today:

So I understand that the trial is supposed to resume at the end of the month, according to a radio report I heard this morning.   Wonder if it's Sisi's intention to deport Fahmy before that trial starts and avoid going through this whole "circus act" again.  Sisi just doesn't want to show his whole hand here yet.  And since both men are out on bail do they have to stay in Cairo until the trial.

Yes both men have to stay in Cairo. Fahmy had to pay bail because he is a flight risk. I think they are going to continue to put pressure on the Canadian government to do something and get him deported back to Canada before the trial resumes. For now he's out of prison but they have to stay at their houses. Fahmy needs medical attention for his arm so he will probably be going to a hospital soon after release as well.

kat19

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 12 Feb 2015, 15:38

Thanks kat19 for the update.  Amal is a very accomplished lawyer and I'm sure she is handling the setback and the quick turn of events in the utmost professional way.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 12 Feb 2015, 15:43

R
kat19 wrote:

Cabo?

Get a life.

Fahmy's brother said on Canadian news that because of the abrupt announcement of the re-trial, she only had 3 days to prepare for it and she wasn't going to be able to make it to Cairo on time for the opening of the trial. She is in Los Angeles. She prepared the case and was instructing Fahmy's Egyptian lawyer from LA. She also had to wait for some sort of permit to come through for her without which she could not enter the court, they said as soon as she got that she would be there. But she was the one instructing the Egyptian lawyer anyway from LA. The Egyptian lawyer presented their material today in court, and now Fahmy has been released with bail which is excellent news. But he's not in the clear completely yet. Next court date is Feb 23. She will probably be there for that. 

Fahmy's brother said that she has been doing everything she can to help him, she is the lead lawyer on this case for him, so why don't you calm the eff down and stop jumping all over her every time you see an opening for snark. You don't even know what the hell is going on behind the scenes, so again, get a life. 

The only reason you ever come into this thread is to criticize and throw around rude snark about Amal. You have shown NO interest in the actual case or the fate of Fahmy...you're just hear to take a piss on Amal because you think that's fun or something? So much resentment towards someone you don't even know? wow. 

Instead of being happy that an innocent man is out of jail, your first instinct is to try and ridicule Amal. She worked hard along with her colleagues on the case and Fahmy will now get to spend time with his family and be out of prison and is closer to complete freedom. You can't just be happy about that? What a sad person you must be.

I don't know why I even bother responding to your bullshit. But this needed to be said.

I would agree with with you 100%!!!!

Alisonfan does not like or respect  Amal. That all.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 12 Feb 2015, 16:43

So pleased we have knowledgeable input on here, Kat! Thank you.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 12 Feb 2015, 17:40

Yes thanks kat19 Thumbs up!
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Thu 12 Feb 2015, 19:07

You're welcome guys! I've just been following this case pretty closely the last few days (it's the law student in me, lol). 

And Fahmy's family is now saying that he will be released on Saturday. His bail has been paid and now they have to wait for the paper work to go through. So he won't be out until Saturday. Also, they said Amal has been talking to the Canadian ambassador today to find out what the conditions of his bail are and if he can still be deported. So they are still putting pressure on the Canadian government to intervene more forcefully to get him back to Canada before the trial resumes.

kat19

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Thu 12 Feb 2015, 19:21

kat19 wrote:

Cabo?

Get a life.

Why Kat?  Amal makes it so easy JMHO. 

Which as big  George Fan, not an Amal fan anytime, I am allowed to.  I'm very happy Mr Famhy is on bail.  Thanks to Canadian Government who Amal had bad taste to critic, but they Canadians done very good IMO. In spite of Amal who wrote this week telling them what to do, how much bad taste, BUT no sign of Amal then eh?  Maybe press conference?

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Thu 12 Feb 2015, 19:24

kat19 wrote:You're welcome guys! I've just been following this case pretty closely the last few days (it's the law student in me, lol). 

And Fahmy's family is now saying that he will be released on Saturday. His bail has been paid and now they have to wait for the paper work to go through. So he won't be out until Saturday. Also, they said Amal has been talking to the Canadian ambassador today to find out what the conditions of his bail are and if he can still be deported. So they are still putting pressure on the Canadian government to intervene more forcefully to get him back to Canada before the trial resumes.

Oh Kat, I see you the law student,  earlier post you know ALL that Amal might do AND ALL the Canadians NOT do.
How Kat does that work for you? Insider Canadian student, esp, what?

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 12 Feb 2015, 21:06

Kat19 - Your insights into this case are appreciated but your budding feud with Alisonfan is not. I know lawyers love to argue for arguments sake, and from what you've posted you seem well suited to your chosen profession - but - we're all entitled to our opinions.

This is a GEORGE CLOONEY fansite - not an "Amal is the second coming of Mother Theresa" site. Not all of us think Amal is perfection and we have the right to feel that way without being condescended to or insulted. The "snark" I saw came from you!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Feb 2015, 21:28

LizzyNY wrote:Kat19 - Your insights into this case are appreciated but your budding feud with Alisonfan is not. I know lawyers love to argue for arguments sake, and from what you've posted you seem well suited to your chosen profession - but - we're all entitled to our opinions.

This is a GEORGE CLOONEY fansite - not an "Amal is the second coming of Mother Theresa" site. Not all of us think Amal is perfection and we have the right to feel that way without being condescended to or insulted. The "snark" I saw came from you!
I think you need to take a step back. Kat19 has done nothing other than support and show interest in and concern for the people at the heart of this case. Amal Clooney happens to be part and parcel of that interest.

I hate the crap surrounding 'St Amal' - I actually don't like her much although that's mainly to do with Clooney, not her - but I also can easily put my personal opinions aside and see beyond that crap when people's lives, that she has a direct involvment in, are at stake.

Grow up and get over yourself and stop trying to introduce pettiness where none exists. Alisonfan is 100% entitled to her opinions but she also needs to take a step back in this instance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Feb 2015, 22:57

Bellalique wrote:
LizzyNY wrote:Kat19 - Your insights into this case are appreciated but your budding feud with Alisonfan is not. I know lawyers love to argue for arguments sake, and from what you've posted you seem well suited to your chosen profession - but - we're all entitled to our opinions.

I think you need to take a step back. Kat19 has done nothing other than support and show interest in and concern for the people at the heart of this case. Amal Clooney happens to be part and parcel of that interest.

I hate the crap surrounding 'St Amal' - I actually don't like her much although that's mainly to do with Clooney, not her - but I also can easily put my personal opinions aside and see beyond that crap when people's lives, that she has a direct involvment in, are at stake.

Stop trying to introduce pettiness where none exists. Alisonfan is 100% entitled to her opinions but she also needs to take a step back in this instance.

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 13 Feb 2015, 00:32

Bellalique - It is not necessary to insult people who disagree with you in order to show support for something, as IMO Kat19 has done. Telling someone their life is sad and they should get a life - that their opinions are bullshit - is not a show of support for an issue, it's an insult to someone you don't agree with. I'm not the one introducing pettiness into this conversation - I commented because of the pettiness of Kat19's remarks.

I am quite capable of putting my personal opinion aside when I contemplate an issue. Personally, I think Amal is doing what she was hired to do and I hope, for her client's sake, that her team is successful. That doesn't mean I've changed my opinion of her. I haven't and I probably won't.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Fri 13 Feb 2015, 03:27

Okay now let's get back to AMAL's WORK which is the topic.

Thanks.

BTW since we have new posters let me introduce myself - Doone, Lorna Doone, MOD.

I like my martini's shaken too.

And for the newbies - the other mods are Nicky and theminis.

KatieDot is the site owner.

And as to my comment about staying on topic...

I'm glad they are being released and hopefully, they can be deported and this "trial" can be avoided.

I think it's all trumped up charges and just an attempt to suppress the press.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Fri 13 Feb 2015, 07:51

Alisonfan wrote:
kat19 wrote:You're welcome guys! I've just been following this case pretty closely the last few days (it's the law student in me, lol). 

Oh Kat, I see you the law student,  earlier post you know ALL that Amal might do AND ALL the Canadians NOT do.
How Kat does that work for you? Insider Canadian student, esp, what?
Oh please. I never claimed to know ALL and be an "insider". But what I do know and have seen from various outlets I shared here on the board. And yes I am a Canadian. And yes I am a law student. What of it? 

All you've wanted to do here was to instigate an argument and engage someone with all of your hate, expecting no one to call you out on it. Too bad.

kat19

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Fri 13 Feb 2015, 08:04

Yes this is a George Clooney fansite but this particular thread IS NOT devoted to Mr Clooney....its meant to discuss Amal's work as evidenced by the title of the thread. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions but Alisonfan hasn't been sharing any opinions relevant to the case we are discussing just attacks on Amal which hold no substance. And for the record, no one here claims that "Amal is the second coming of Mother Theresa" so don't you dare put words into our mouths. We've been discussing the case openly and rationally, acknowledging the setbacks that have been taking place within it. NO one said "Amal is perfection" but apparently if you call people out for being needlessly petty on this board the prime argument coming back from the other side is "omg not everyone thinks Amal's miss perfect" or whatever. Please. NO one's stopping you from thinking or posting that's she's not perfect but then why the eff come into a thread again and again about her work and contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion but just hate on her for the sake of hating on her. This is a George Clooney board, but this is the section devoted to his wife's work. Criticism is understandable. Irrational hate is not. So yes I can call her out on that. As for you not appreciating "my budding feud" with Alisonfan. There is no feud. I've said my piece and was entitled to do so. From where I'm sitting, YOU are NOT the board police, but if you have a problem with me you are welcome to report it to whoever runs the board and I can discuss it with them further. 

Saying that my posts are not appreciated is simply not true. Maybe YOU don't appreciate it but how dare you generalize. I've received plenty of support from other posters in this very thread who are also fed up with all the hate as evidenced by the posts right above this one.

And that's all I'm going to say about this from here on out. Let's get back on topic.

kat19

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 13 Feb 2015, 10:38

Press statement~

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Fri 13 Feb 2015, 11:50

Press Statement - Mohamed Fahmy
12.02.15 |
Amal Clooney

Today Mohamed Fahmy and his co-defendants were granted bail by an Egyptian criminal court. Khaled Abu-Bakr, my Cairo-based colleague who is a member of the Egyptian Bar and the International Bar Association, represented Fahmy in court.

A few days ago Egypt’s Supreme Court issued its reasons for overturning the original verdict and sentence in the case. This decision recognized that the original trial was unfair, as I have previously explained. The judges noted the catalogue of due process violations that occurred, which revealed a biased and unjust approach by the authorities. The court also considered that Fahmy’s conviction for acts of ‘terrorism’ was nonsensical given that there was not even an allegation of a threat of violence, let alone the use of violence, by Mr Fahmy or his colleagues.

I am encouraged by the Supreme Court’s findings that the trial was unfair, and by today’s ruling granting Mr Fahmy bail. At the same time, there is no guarantee that a retrial will be carried out in compliance with international standards or result in the full acquittal on all charges that Fahmy deserves. It may also take several months to complete.

So this case is not over yet; but it should be. Ten days ago Mohamed Fahmy and his family celebrated the return of Fahmy’s former colleague, Peter Greste, to Australia under the terms of a decree allowing foreign prisoners to be transferred to their home state. Mr Fahmy is eligible for transfer under this same law – and the retrial process that began today does not change that.

Mr Fahmy is a Canadian national who was subjected to the same unfair trial process as Mr Greste. Mr Fahmy was told by high-level Egyptian officials that, as a dual Egyptian-Canadian national, he must give up his Egyptian citizenship to guarantee a transfer. He had no choice but to do so. Then, just days ago, his counsel and the Canadian government were informed that his release was imminent. There is no impediment to his immediate transfer to Canada and Prime Minister Harper should personally intervene to ensure that the promise that was made by the Egyptian government to his government, and to its citizen, is now honoured.

Amal Clooney
Counsel for Mohamed Fahmy  
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hebe Fri 13 Feb 2015, 13:45

Thank you for all the new information folks. I'm glad the situation has moved on and that Fahmy and his colleague have been granted bail. It would be great if the Canadian Prime Minister intervened as soon as possible so that Fahmy could be released and return to Canada. I hope that Fahmy's colleague will be released soon too. It does not seem right that he should remain imprisoned while the others are freed simply because he is an Egyptian national. I hope for a speedy and positive outcome for both men.

Hebe

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Fri 13 Feb 2015, 15:31

LornaDoone wrote:Okay now let's get back to AMAL's WORK which is the topic.

Thanks.

BTW since we have new posters let me introduce myself - Doone, Lorna Doone, MOD.

I like my martini's shaken too.

And for the newbies - the other mods are Nicky and theminis.

KatieDot is the site owner.

And as to my comment about staying on topic...

I'm glad they are being released and hopefully, they can be deported and this "trial" can be avoided.

I think it's all trumped up charges and just an attempt to suppress the press.
Yeah Right   Lorna Doone... you da bomb!!!  How many olives in the glass??

PigPen
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 13 Feb 2015, 15:47

Very good news coming out of Egypt,
at last.  sunny
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Feb 2015, 18:14

LizzyNY wrote:Bellalique - It is not necessary to insult people who disagree with you in order to show support for something, as IMO Kat19 has done. Telling someone their life is sad and they should get a life - that their opinions are bullshit - is not a show of support for an issue, it's an insult to someone you don't agree with. I'm not the one introducing pettiness into this conversation - I commented because of the pettiness of Kat19's remarks.

I am quite capable of putting my personal opinion aside when I contemplate an issue. Personally, I think Amal is doing what she was hired to do and I hope, for her client's sake, that her team is successful. That doesn't mean I've changed my opinion of her. I haven't and I probably won't.
Lizzy, I would agree 100% with you if it were on any other thread. But this one is specifically about her and her work so it's really not surprising that posts offering nothing other than scorn and negativity have generated the impatient/annoyed feedback that they have.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 13 Feb 2015, 20:00

Ok guys, I know we can argue back and forth as we are all perfect in standing our grounds Very Happy  but let's be honest we can not convince someone else for a different opinion. We COH' ladies are too stubborn for that Razz

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If we like or not. There are some opinions which we don't like or feel insulted in one way or another. This Forum is not to confince someone it is about to share opinions. We have to accept the negative posts about Amal the same way like the positive and yes you can criticize someone else posts too as long as it is not insulting. Some have different opinions when a post is insulting and when not. That's why we mods are here to decide when to intervene which is not always easy.

Everyone made their points now and let steam out. I hope you all feel better now. Wink  We will not change another poster here. So let's try go back on topic which is about Amal's work.

Thank you.

Last edited by Nicky80 on Fri 13 Feb 2015, 20:16; edited 1 time in total
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Feb 2015, 20:04

Nicky80 wrote:Ok guys, I know we can argue back and forth as we are all perfect in standing our grounds Very Happy  but let's be honest we can not convince someone else for a different opinion. We COH' ladies are too stubborn for that Razz
Who's talking about trying to change people's opinions?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next