George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» The Good News
George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice EmptyYesterday at 18:19 by annemariew

» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice

3 posters

Go down

George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice Empty George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice

Post by Mazy Wed 26 Feb 2014, 08:13

Not sure to put this her or in the Media thread?? Move it please if you want.
George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice

By JOANNA MAZEWSKI | February 20th, 2014 at 4:26 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This morning after dropping off my daughter at school, I turned on the radio (because how many times can I listen to the Frozen soundtrack already? I mean, really). The DJs of my local Miami party station started discussing the sudden events surrounding the protests and unrest in Venezuela.

Everything was super informative until one listener called the radio station to proclaim that as an American, his interests lie in America and in our country only. And while one radio host agreed with his comments, the other stated that what happens around the world has an impact on us all.
We are, after all, citizens of the world, aren’t we?

While we only know blurred facts about what is actually going on in Venezuela, on the other side of the world the country ofUkraine is embattled in its own crisis, with protesters clashing with police on what looks to be the bloodiest day for the country since Soviet times.

Now while the news can only deliver so much, Hollywood has never been shy about showing their support to hard-hit and crisis-ridden areas around the world. In fact many of Hollywood’s A-list celebrities are also global human rights activists that express their support to those involved in anti-government protests. Hollywood actor George Clooney, who has worn a Yulia Tymoshenko shirt in support of the former Ukrainian Prime Minister who is currently serving a seven-year prison term, sent a video message to Ukrainian demonstrators saying he hopes they achieve their aims of democracy.

Clooney has no affiliation with Ukraine, but as a public figure and an activist, his words were delivered both loud and clear. He said in his video: “When you look to the West, know that we are looking back at you with great admiration. We wish you a peaceful and safe mission. We wish you the government you want, and we wish you the strength to carry on.”

George Clooney isn’t the only Hollywood heavyweight who has an invested interest in democracy. Actress Hayden Panettiere, who is engaged to Ukranian Wladimir Klitschko, showed her support by visiting her future husband’s homeland and participating in the protests back in December. She told a crowd in Kiev: “There is a movement happening here, and we have a chance to make things right, to make things just.”

George Clooney and Hayden Panettiere are not alone, as Hollywood has played a role in supporting/protesting political movements ever since Jane Fonda visited Hanoi during the Vietnam War. Since then, many high-profile figures have become human rights activists and have toured countries around the world, aiming to bring the spotlight to those refugees who battle with survival and loss on a daily basis. Angelina Jolie, who is a special envoy for the U.N.’s Refugee Agency, has traveled to the world’s second-largest refugee camp in Syria, while fellow activist Sean Penn has even gone as far as testifying before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on relief efforts for poverty-stricken Haiti. Going back to George Clooney, he has also actively supported the democratic movement in Southern Sudan for years.

Sure it might be easy to ask, “So what did George or Angelina or Sean really do for these countries? Or what can Hollywood really do?” Surely, there is a difference between playing a hero on the big screen and a hero in real life, but these actors are using their star power to not only show their support, but to help make headlines and increase awareness. Hollywood and politics have been a powerful cocktail of influence for decades, and it doesn’t look like that formula is going to go away anytime soon.

Going back to Angelina, who is a mother of 6, there is no doubt that she is setting a great example for her family when it comes to showing compassion and helping those less fortunate. Back in 2012, Angelina composed an essay about how she discussed the tragic shooting of 14-year-old Pakistani activist Malala Yousafzai with her brood of children.

“I felt compelled to share Malala’s story with my children. It was difficult for them to comprehend a world where men would try to kill a child whose only “crime” was the desire that she and others like her be allowed to go to school,” Angelina wrote in the The Daily Beast.

As far as what George, Hayden, Angelina, and Sean can teach our children, it’s simple. Even during the most difficult times, it’s important to find your voice and speak up for those who can’t. A voice might only be one voice, but at the end of the day, that’s all it takes to make one message heard.

Photos via PacificCoastNews.com/Instagram

Want more of Joanna’s pop culture ramblings? Follow her on Twitter!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice Empty Re: George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice

Post by Nicky80 Wed 26 Feb 2014, 14:11

Thanks Mazy, great article.  Thumbs up! 

I moved it from the news section to this one as the reporter writes about Georges political work. Hope it's ok.
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice Empty Re: George Clooney Speaks Out On Ukraine, Reminds Us The Importance Of Finding Our Own Voice

Post by Carla97 Wed 26 Feb 2014, 15:02

Nul n'est prophète en son propre pays.

Yeah sounds good
But

Bill Gated just wrote about 4 out of 7 governors of Illinois who are in prison because of corruption. US has plenty of its own "political" prisoners. US prosecutors were after tymoschenko, but she avoided the country for years, her business partner sat in US prison for 9 years and was freed last spring. She was procecuted in different crimes in her home country instead. Putin defended her saying she didn´t sign the gas deals, it was the government, not individual. Didn´t help.

I think it was last week that trial against for Occupy Wall Street activist woman (people) started.

Great deal of hypocricy here.

Last edited by Carla97 on Wed 26 Feb 2014, 15:04; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I mean Bill Gates :))
Carla97
Carla97
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Wed 26 Feb 2014, 20:21

Nicky80 wrote:Thanks Mazy, great article.  Thumbs up! 

I moved it from the news section to this one as the reporter writes about Georges political work. Hope it's ok.
No problem I wasn't sure where to put it, put it in the news because it pertaining to George. It's fine I never have a problem with the mods moving anything. xx
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down