George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
George Clooney supports the Ukraine EmptyYesterday at 22:10 by benex

»  George filming new film in UK
George Clooney supports the Ukraine EmptyYesterday at 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney supports the Ukraine EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney supports the Ukraine EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney supports the Ukraine EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney supports the Ukraine EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney supports the Ukraine EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney supports the Ukraine EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney supports the Ukraine EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney supports the Ukraine

+11
Aruna
Atalante
Nicky80
Mazy
LornaDoone
Duffy
party animal - not!
What Would He Say
Katiedot
silly girl
15 posters

Go down

George Clooney supports the Ukraine Empty George Clooney supports the Ukraine

Post by silly girl Mon 09 Dec 2013, 11:37

I am assuming this is recent? It was uploaded to Youtube today---it looks like he took the video himself on his phone....

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney supports the Ukraine Empty Re: George Clooney supports the Ukraine

Post by Katiedot Mon 09 Dec 2013, 11:47

Is this the one?

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

George Clooney supports the Ukraine Empty Re: George Clooney supports the Ukraine

Post by Katiedot Mon 09 Dec 2013, 11:48

Ha! Now I posted it, the video showed up in your post!  Brain explode 
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Mon 09 Dec 2013, 12:29

Is this in response to Kiev .....

Never stops caring ......... A star worth following.  Thumbs up! 
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 09 Dec 2013, 12:33

Brilliant bloke!!

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Mon 09 Dec 2013, 12:52

That's ok Katie...I posted it then realized it was on Youtube and should have just done that.  Yes big doings in the Ukraine....so sad that people must resort to this in order to get change.

Since I can still edit my post...here is the Facebook page of the person who uploaded the video. He is a boxer....so I wonder if GC knows him and sent it to him on his own or if they asked him to do it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by silly girl on Mon 09 Dec 2013, 15:49; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a thought)

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Mon 09 Dec 2013, 15:58

Ok so he isn't just "some boxer"...goes to show I need to read and investigate more before I post. He is actually the opposition leader but also a champion boxer.

George Clooney Backs Ukraine Protests

'We wish you the government that you want'

American actor George Clooney took to YouTube on Monday in solidarity with demonstrators in Ukraine who have gathered en masse to oppose the government’s push toward Russia and away from the European Union.

“I wanted to send a message to all of you brave citizens of Ukraine, who are struggling to look forward and not back,” Clooney said. “We here in the United States have great affinity for those seeking democracy. We have learned through trial and error that true democracy cannot exist without a free and fair and honest election.”

Clooney said democracy in Ukraine was not possible when its government arrests and harms peaceful protesters, and when politicians like ex-Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko are jailed because others disagree with their positions. ”So let me just say this to all of you in the square in Kiev, or all around Ukraine,” Clooney said: “When you look to the West, know that we are looking back at you with great admiration. We wish you a peaceful and safe mission. We wish you the government that you want. And we wish you the strength to carry on. Good luck.”

The minute-long video was posted on the verified account of opposition leader Vitali Klitschko, the champion boxer and leader of the pro-West Udar party, and his brother Wladimir. Clooney, the two-time Academy Award-winning actor known for his roles in the Oceans franchise, Up in the Air and The Descendants, frequently steps into the humanitarian issues like the crisis in Darfur.

On Sunday, a week into the newest demonstrations, more than 500,000 people were estimated to have swarmed Kiev to protest against President Viktor Yanukovych’s refusal to sign a trade and association agreement with the E.U. These are the largest gatherings since the 2004 Orange Revolution.

Read more: George Clooney Expresses Solidarity With Ukraine Protesters | TIME.com [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by ... Mon 09 Dec 2013, 16:30

Very encouraging.
Great to see him actively involved with international affairs. Particularly political justice.

Ukrainian protesters demolished Lenin's statue. Symbol of Soviet oppression & rejection of closer ties with Russia.

Thanks for posting, silly girl.

Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Duffy Mon 09 Dec 2013, 16:55

Wasn't Wladimir in Ocean's 11 as one of the boxers?

Duffy
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by ... Mon 09 Dec 2013, 17:07

Yes.  

Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Mon 09 Dec 2013, 17:22

Nice, continued loyalty to those he considers his friends, but also a message of hope and peace.

I saw the news about the toppling of Lenin's statue. But they didn't give a lot of details. Will check out more this evening.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 17:49

Interesting. He looked good in the vid  Very Happy (That´s the part I understand.)

I have heard of those boxing brothers but somehow I got an impression they are from Kazakstan, not Ukraine. What ever. Yulia Tymoshenko stays in prison...
Carla97
Carla97
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Mon 09 Dec 2013, 20:05

Thank you so much SG for this news. George is a wonderful human being. Many don't like to take a stand on such issues because of losing favor with someone from the other side. George speaks his mind truthfully and stands behind what he says no matter who likes it.

He amazes me how he keeps abreast of all important news in the world, with everything else he has going on with his business. He might have made a good politician but I think that maybe he is too honest for that. Also he would have been more restricted by so called protocol. As an individual with a strong voice he can most likely accomplish more. God Bless
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Mon 09 Dec 2013, 20:40

George Clooney Denounces Police Violence Against Pro-EU Ukrainian Protesters
The actor has released a video expressing support for those attacked in Kiev for demonstrating in support of a treaty President Viktor Yanukovych rejected with the European Union.
BY MICHAEL WALSH / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
MONDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2013, 11:54 AM

EVAN AGOSTINI/EVAN AGOSTINI/INVISION/AP
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
‘We learned through trial and error that true democracy cannot exist without a free and fair and honest election,’ said Clooney, reflecting on the American experience.

George Clooney took a break from popcorn flick chatter to weigh in on something with more gravity: the anti-government protests in Ukraine.

"We here in the United States have great affinity for those seeking democracy," Clooney said in a homemade video. "We learned through trial and error that true democracy cannot exist without a free and fair and honest election. You cannot have a democracy when you arrest and harm its peaceful protesters."

Since Nov. 21, hordes pro-European Union protesters have flooded the Ukrainian capital of Kiev, outraged that President Viktor Yanukovych recently nixed a treaty with the European Union to strengthen ties with Russia.

Police violently cracked down on the demonstrators, which only strengthened their resolve and galvanized fence sitters to oppose the administration.

ALEXEY FURMAN/EPA
Protesters at Kiev’s Independence Square on Sunday. The political crisis marks Ukraine’s largest demonstrations since 2004’s Orange Revolution, which was rooted in accusations of electoral fraud.

Hundreds of police with full riot gear are standing guard in Independence Square after hundreds of thousands of dissidents called for Yanukovych's ouster and toppled a statue of late Soviet leader Vladimir Lenin on Sunday.

It marks the country's largest demonstration since the pro-democracy Orange Revolution, which attributed Yanukovych's 2004 presidential victory to electoral fraud.

Orange Revolution protests were co-led by Yulia Tymoshenko, who became the nation's first female prime minister in 2005.

ANATOLY MALTSEV/EPA
Protesters rally near a giant picture of jailed former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko, who is viewed as a political prisoner. Clooney spoke out against her detainment.

Tymoshenko, the opposition leader, is behind bars in what her supporters call political imprisonment.

Her image — complete with halo-like braids befitting Princess Leia — has become an icon of democracy for the dissidents .
"I can almost feel the presence of the brave women and men, old and young, who have gathered in Kyiv (Kiev) and other Ukrainian cities to defend their dreams of a democratic and European future," she wrote from her jail cell.

SERGEI SUPINSKY/AFP/GETTY IMAGES
Pro-EU Ukrainian protesters sing the national anthem next to riot police Monday in Independence Square.

Clooney, the American "Syriana" star, offered his support for the embattled politician, saying true democracy cannot exist "if you take political prisoners like Tymoshenko simply because you disagree with the way they want to govern."

Clooney concluded his video by reiterating his message of solidarity and respect for the protesters.

"When you look to the West, know that we are looking back at you with great admiration. We wish you a peaceful and safe mission. We wish you the government that you want, and we wish you the strength to carry on. Good luck."

SERGEI SUPINSKY/AFP/GETTY IMAGES
A Ukrainian protester with an EU flag on his hat walks past riot police blocking Independence Square in Kiev on Monday.
Surprisingly, Yanukovych has announced he would meet with three former Ukranian presidents on Tuesday to discuss the crisis.

Ukraine's troubled economy has aggravated the political standoff.

With News Wire Services

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Mon 09 Dec 2013, 22:43

It's not easy.... to feel someone else's terror......

Also knowing that they strive to achieve "JOY".... and that this is on a knife's edge .... palpably achievable.....and you want them to know that, and know that you believe they can attain that .... if luck, fate, hope and fairness is on their side ....

You need belief .....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 22:53

Thanks SG for the video. 

"When you look to the west know we look at back to you..."

Love that one, he said it really well.
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 23:02

silly girl wrote:That's ok Katie...I posted it then realized it was on Youtube and should have just done that.  Yes big doings in the Ukraine....so sad that people must resort to this in order to get change.

Since I can still edit my post...here is the Facebook page of the person who uploaded the video.  He is a boxer....so I wonder if GC knows him and sent it to him on his own or if they asked him to do it.  

The Klitschko brothers are very famous boxers and still boxing today, they are world boxing champions. One of the brothers started to get into politics few years ago and got involved and selected to one of the politic parties. 

(When George was in Germany shooting MM one of the Klitschko brothers had a boxing game on and John Goodman visited the event. )

Now the problem with all the demonstrations going on there is, some violent protesters try to use the peaceful demonstration to turn into violent demonstrations. The Klitschko brothers are in the street with the peaceful demonstrators and they try to stop the violent demonstrators. It was even once on TV that Klitschko took a microphone and was standing right in front of those people who through something at the police and said "Stop doing that you don't not belong to us this is peaceful demonstration". It was amazing.

Last edited by Nicky80 on Mon 09 Dec 2013, 23:13; edited 1 time in total
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Mon 09 Dec 2013, 23:09

pointing He can't control his right hand can he now, ...  ROTFL ROTFL 
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 23:11

Fear of security forces: Klitschko evacuates party headquarters in Kiev

In Kiev, the police barricades acknowledges the protesters, the party of Yulia Tymoshenko accused security forces have stormed her office, Vitali Klitschko had his party headquarters evacuated as a precaution. U.S. Vice President Biden calls by President Yanukovych dialogue with the opposition.

Kiev - The Fatherland Party of jailed Ukrainian opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko has accused the security forces , they stormed their headquarters in Kiev. The secret service SBU determined as a result of several days of mass demonstrations for attempted coup .

However, stressed both police and SBU , they had acted not against the Fatherland Party ( Baktiwschtschina ) . Independent reports there was not first .
Policemen and armed with machine guns members of the special unit " Berkut " ( Golden Eagle ) had penetrated on the edge of the opposition protests in the Fatherland Party rooms and would have destroyed doors and confiscated computers , said a party spokesperson . A mailed by the party photo showed three masked men in uniform in front of the building. The pro-European Tymoshenko's Fatherland Party leads for weeks of protests against President Viktor Yanukovych with .

The other opposition party Udar (impact ) of world boxing champion Vitali Klitschko evacuated for fear of assault by security forces their party headquarters .

In government district task forces evacuated first smaller barricades of the opposition. The Russian agency Itar -Tass reported that in Kiev about 6000 security personnel in the field are . On the Maidan, the central Independence Square , thousands of demonstrators were still gathered . They had cordoned off the area with barricades.

U.S. Vice President Joe Biden has Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych invited to dialogue with the opposition. At the same time he expressed himself in a telephone conversation with Yanukovych on Monday concerned about the situation in Ukraine , as the White House announced. " The Vice-President stressed the need to work towards an immediate de-escalation of the situation and to begin a dialogue with the opposition leaders . " Only in this way could be found a consensus on the future course of the country.

Klitschko calls on protesters to persevere

In the afternoon, the security forces in Kiev had further strengthened its presence around the Maidan . Policemen have the city center , which also houses again on Monday , several thousand people gathered , almost completely surrounded.

The opposition fears that officials could storm the place and occupied by demonstrators Town Hall. Police with helmets and batons moved into position in front of building . Some Protestants are said to have already left the building for fear of an imminent attack .

Others want to defend the town hall against the police. They should have armed themselves according to eyewitnesses with wooden slats and iron bars . In addition, they would have worried sunflower oil with which they wanted to make the floor slippery.

"We will not let anybody into the building ," said one of the organizers of the protest. "But we hope there is no bloodshed . " Orthodox priest spoke with demonstrators and police and praying for a peaceful settlement . The government has the demonstrators an ultimatum , which expires at midnight : Until then, all occupied buildings must be vacated .

In order to prevent a further strengthening of the police force , several hundred protesters have blocked roads leading to the city center . Klitschko called on his followers to defend the demonstrations against police action . " I call on all opponents of the government to come to the Maidan . Opposition have to stay here and do everything possible to prevent the police a peaceful demonstration smashes ," Klitschko said. Elderly and frail protesters he suggested to go to their home security .
Federal Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle called on the government in Ukraine not to use force against demonstrators. "It would be disastrous if the peaceful protests to pressure, threats or violence , would benefit from whatever side , undermined " .

Previously, President Viktor Yanukovych had signaled willingness to talk . He said he would meet with opposition representatives , said the presidential palace. The opponents of the government still debate whether they accept the offer .

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Tue 10 Dec 2013, 00:02

Another very informative article thanks Nicky.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aruna Tue 10 Dec 2013, 05:50

Girls, you a very good and kind. But you make error thinking that it is struggle for ukraine's independence. It is war betweene EU, USA against Russia for the fluence in this region.
Poor common people of Ukraine. They don't want the revolution at all.
Sorry that GC got into it.
Aruna
Aruna

Back to top Go down

Post by Aruna Tue 10 Dec 2013, 06:07

I titbits, can GC shows Ukraine immediatly on the map? And what about you?
Aruna
Aruna

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Tue 10 Dec 2013, 07:31

Aruna why you say sorry that GC got into it? What he said was right. What the outcome there will be... well I´m skeptical.

Last night on TV about Ukraine´s president. It sounded like serious real life soup opera, except that noone is singing. Fact is the current president has run two presidential elections. First, his main opponent was poisoned during the campaign. The pro-Western Viktor Yushchenko nearly died after assassination attempt. Second, Yulia Tymoshenko, a major figure in the Orange Revolution was jailed because of her questionable gas contracts that made her overnight billionaire.

She is not the only one of a kind. Another gas billionaire, Mikhail Khodorkovsky is holed up somewhere in Siperia. Also keeping human right organizations busy.

And trivia, the president speaks russian, not ukrainian (official language). Could you imagine US had a president who only hablo espanol?

People can vote, of course, but their votes are not needed in this game oligarchic players are playing. Who ever sits in office must have oligarchic financial backing, and not the shake the balance. None of these people will be beneficiary if the country becomes a state governed by the rule of law. If you air something that they don´t like your TV or radio station suddenly "loses" its broadcasting frequencies...

It´s about Russian natural gas, that comes through Ukraine and Europe is dependent on it. If Russians do not like development in the region, they simply "close the tap" on gas. It has happened, winter months and people will freeze to death. Not nice.
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel Tue 10 Dec 2013, 10:16

@Aruna, what a comment!!!
There are always those, who rather than acting, prefer to ...  Censored 
I'm more than sure, George knows where Ukraine is and also about what he is speaking. He is politically highly educated and does know what is happening in the world...
Rachel
Rachel
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Tue 10 Dec 2013, 13:19

It is a wee bit ironic that G.C. pops up, now that South Sudan is one of the most corrupt nations he's supporting, ..., just saying, ... Twisted Evil 
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Tue 10 Dec 2013, 14:18

Whaat he didn´t end corruption there? And yet no peace in this world? Orphan kids and diseases? Famine and genocides? Enough, I´m not watching any of his films IF he can´t fix all these problems!! In a meanwhile let´s get back to work (who ever has one, nyse seems to open in 12 min.) or to couch and wait and see what happens.
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Tue 10 Dec 2013, 15:51

His name came up during a State Department Q&A

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Tue 10 Dec 2013, 20:23

From SillyGirls link

Ukraine in the U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
DAILY PRESS BRIEFING # 201
MONDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2013

MS. PSAKI:  Can we go to Jill next and then we’ll come to Central Africa?  Go ahead.  Ukraine?

QUESTION:  Thank you.  Obviously, there’s a lot of concern.  You have Toria Nuland in Moscow; now she’s going to Ukraine.

MS. PSAKI:  Mm-hmm.

QUESTION:  You have the call by the Vice President to Yanukovich.  You have Cathy Ashton going there.  It sounds as if – I mean, there is a lot of very specific and concerned – expression of concern about potential violence.

QUESTION:  But is there anything more that the U.S. right now is looking at, proposing, thinking about that would actually help Ukraine?  I know she mentioned – Toria mentioned the IMF.  What specifically could the West now offer to Ukraine economically, which Russia is more than happy to do right now?

MS. PSAKI:  Well, just as a reminder, this is not about the United States versus Russia.  This is about the Ukraine – the people of the Ukraine.  We’ve continued to encourage the government to listen to the people, and that’s something that Assistant Secretary Nuland did in her remarks that she made when she was there.  And we continue to believe that it’s long past time for the leadership to not only listen to the voices of its people, but we continue to encourage them to restore a path to European integration and economic health.  That is a step that Ukraine would have to take.

There are – to answer your question on the economic piece, the EU has, of course, been in almost continuous discussions with Ukraine and has said that the door is still open to signing an association agreement.  We don’t have details of any specific proposals.  I would point you to them on that, given it’s about EU – European integration or Russia.  It’s not about United States integration.  And – but I would point you to them.

There are – for specifically the United States, many products of Ukraine are eligible for duty-free entry into the United States under the generalized system of preferences-- trade preference program, though the current – though that program is currently without legal authorization and hasn’t been passed yet by Congress.  And we, of course – the United States and Ukraine are also members of the World Trade Organization and subject to those rules.  But that is a specific piece that Ukraine is eligible for but it’s not yet been passed.

QUESTION:  And then just one other thing:  The – let me see where – oh yes.  The voice of the people.

QUESTION:  Some of the people want an interim government.  They want Yanukovich to step down.  Does the U.S. support that?

MS. PSAKI:  That’s a decision for the people of Ukraine to make.  What we are encouraging is a reduction in violence, no place for violence in a democratic state.  We are encouraging the government to restore a path, of course, to European integration and economic health.  We believe they need to respect the right to peacefully protest.  And beyond that, this is something that obviously we’re very closely engaged with, given the Vice President’s call, given the fact that Assistant Secretary Nuland is going back on the ground.  But we are as engaged as we can be and we continue to remind them that there is an ongoing path opened to European integration.

QUESTION:  What kind of products are eligible for duty-free entry?

MS. PSAKI:  That’s a good question, Jo.  I’d have to check on what would qualify in that category.  So let me take that and see if there’s more we can provide.

QUESTION:  But this is – you said it’s not been passed by Congress.

MS. PSAKI:  Correct.

QUESTION:  So would that be something that you would encourage Congress to pass?

MS. PSAKI:  Well, I think I’d have to check on specifically what our role would be.  I mean, it would be run – it’s a USTR initiative, so it would be one that they would be certainly advocating for.

QUESTION:  And do you know how long it’s been stuck or held up in Congress?

MS. PSAKI:  I don’t have that level of detail, though it’s a good question.  So let me see if we can get more for you.  And of course, you can always go to USTR for details as well.

QUESTION:  Jen, have you seen George Clooney’s video?  I know he’s been previously involved in places like the Sudan.  Has he been in touch with State on some sort of role in the Ukraine?
MS. PSAKI:  I have not seen his video.

QUESTION:  No?  Okay.

MS. PSAKI:  I’ll have to take a look at that and see what he has to say about events in Ukraine and on the ground.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 10 Dec 2013, 21:21

Butterfly I deleted your thread with the duplicate video.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by ... Tue 10 Dec 2013, 22:25

Atalante wrote:It is a wee bit ironic that G.C. pops up, now that South Sudan is one of the most corrupt nations he's supporting, ..., just saying, ... Twisted Evil 

He opposes genocide and overall persecution of subjugated/ marginalized  people in the Darfur region.
If South Sudan succumbed to corruption by a ruling elite, then that region possibly will end with foreign intervention or more civil unrest.
But George has supported other nations' crises too, don't forget.

Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Wed 11 Dec 2013, 03:47

Ah don't mind Atalante - she/he's always got some inflammatory comment to make.

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Wed 11 Dec 2013, 07:55

Yeah, but sometimes comments like that can be irritating.
And for some reason "the boos come from the cheap seats" from people that are not doing much extra themselves...just an general observation...
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Wed 11 Dec 2013, 12:31

Laughing Well you don't know me, that's for sure !  lol! 
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Wed 11 Dec 2013, 15:19

Yeps I don´t. I didn´t mean You specifically. And I do like straight talk (when it´s not about me  Say wha? )
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by Aruna Thu 12 Dec 2013, 04:59

Yulia Tymoshenko, a major figure in the Orange Revolution was jailed because of her questionable gas contracts that made her overnight billionaire.

----- It's interesting time we are living in. If a person stole bread for the hungry children, he is a thief. And if a politician stole millions from his people, he is a political prisoner. Yulia is a thief, and thief must be in prison.

Mikhail Khodorkovsky is holed up somewhere in Siperia. Also keeping human right organizations busy.

---- Mikhail Khodorkovsky is not politician, he is a bisnessman who didn' pay the taxes. What happen with man who doesn't pay a taxes in your country?

And trivia, the president speaks russian, not ukrainian (official language). Could you imagine US had a president who only hablo espanol?

----------- :-) The law about ukrainian language as official was adopted when Yusenko was the president. People were against. About 60% of ukrainian population speak russian every day. Most of them doesn't know ukrainian. And in the end, Western Ukrainian poorly understood and Eastern Ukrainian, because different dialects.

It´s about Russian natural gas, that comes through Ukraine and Europe is dependent on it. If Russians do not like development in the region, they simply "close the tap" on gas. It has happened, winter months and people will freeze to death. Not nice

------------ If you are so kind, let will buy gas from Russia and give it to Ukraine.
Russia does not block the gas to Ukraine. Already now Russia suffered once again the timing of payments. And the debt is not small, about half a billion.

Now there is about 6% of ukranians are in the demonstration. And they are here about 3 weeks. it is a real "voice of people"? I guess it shoud be about 51% of country population.

And at the end, I love GS and his work. But this video is awful.
Have you heard about body language? For example, you can tell whether the person speaks the truth or lying on the movement of the eye during the conversation. If he looks up, talking about their weekend, most likely he fantasises. If it looks right or you in the eyes and telling the truth. And if you down or left - to lie And if you down or left - to lie or don't believe in that. Watch the video, everything is clear.
Aruna
Aruna

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Thu 12 Dec 2013, 07:48

well I don´t know where you got the info, but couple of things incorrect.
Khodorkovski has been and is in prison, because of his heavy involvement in politics. He was against Putin. So was his business partner Boris Bereskowski, but he left the country and settled in London, as did Roman Abramowitsch (he has returned to Moscow).

And the language... it´s old and spoken outside of Ukraine too. Hard to say the %, because any statistics coming from these countries may not be reliable.

---

I thought video was lovely  I love you Very Happy 
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by Boshkash Thu 12 Dec 2013, 09:40

oh please now, all what he said is that he wishes them the future that they want, nothing harming there, go see the video on Utube, you will see that most commenters are thanking him...I know nothing about the topic, but I wish that Ukrainians will choose what is good for their country, would that make a lair?

Boshkash
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 14 Dec 2013, 12:20

Exactly, and all power to him.

Interesting to know that Yulia Tymishenko's release is being sought by the EU too, and her legal representatives fighting her case are Geoffrey Robertson QC and Amal Alamuddin

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 14 Dec 2013, 13:03

I know, kind of wrong thread, but maybe that's why George met with Amal?
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 14 Dec 2013, 13:18

Ah, I understood that the explanation was that Satellite Sentinel was being looked at for possible use in evidence-gathering in Syria...I imagine many around the world are looking at its potential for that. But Mr Robertson and Ms Alamuddin have many portfolios, and she's also a former legal adviser to Kofi Annan, so multiple connections........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 14 Dec 2013, 21:16

found this on YouTube. someone doesn't appreciate George...

melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Sat 14 Dec 2013, 21:30

Well melbert, this is what you get, anyone can post on youtube, so...
The guy looks and sounds bottomless ridiculous - not good for him LOL

But hey, he had a nice video, Clooney in it!  I love you 

It´s really getting bed time for Carla... Bonne nuit!
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Sat 14 Dec 2013, 22:45

Well there's some truth in that video, corporate America is already invading the European Union with its chlorine chickens, ..., so we really are just a bunch of workers and consumers for the elite, ...  LINK  Laughing
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 15 Dec 2013, 11:27

Agree with Atalante a bit. In every message there is always some truth in it. The difficult part is to find it, filter it and not to believe everything.

Not surprised about that video. Politic/ Religion is a sensitive subject as soon you comment on that the ring is open to back fire and start the argumentation and defensive side from others.
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Sun 15 Dec 2013, 14:54

Karel De Gucht, a hard core liberal (Open VLD), European Commissioner for Trade is entangled in a fraud case. His wife is a judge. They managed to get their case postponed after the Belgian elections, ...  Twisted Evil Do I trust that guy ? What a silly question !  Rolling Eyes 
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Sun 15 Dec 2013, 14:56

Interesting to note that John McCain has come out in support of the protestors...

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sun 15 Dec 2013, 16:03

Two things about the video struck me.

One is that they used a Tom Cruise movie to show the blowup of the Kremlin and that the Ukranian keeps espousing how the EU is controlled by banks that want to go into their country and strip it of it's natural resources.

But wait, wouldn't that be the same thing if they had an alliance with Russia? Really, Russia has totally altruistic intentions in the Ukraine.

I think not.

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down