George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback EmptyYesterday at 22:11 by Ida

»  George filming new film in UK
Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback

2 posters

Go down

Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback Empty Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback

Post by Admin Thu 22 Oct 2020, 11:42

Tried to share this yesterday, but couldn't get the tweet to embed.  Anyway, here goes:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[size=30]The Conners Premiere: The Story Behind That George Clooney 'Cameo'[/size]

By Michael Ausiello / October 21 2020, 6:30 PM PDT

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Courtesy of ABC

For its Season 3 premiere, The Conners dug deep into into its storied archives and pulled out a George Clooney!

In Wednesday’s opener, Dan announces to the family that Wellman Plastics — the industrial Lanford behemoth that employed Roseanne and Jackie in the early days of the original Roseanne, and featured then-relatively unknown Clooney as their boss Booker— is embarking on a COVID-related hiring spree. The news immediately sends Jackie into reminisce-mode as she wistfully, meta-tastically recalls her former beau/supervisor “who looked just like George Clooney,” before cracking, “I should’ve hit that ’til I broke it.”

ABC’s top-rated sitcom went all-in on the throwback gag, queuing up a circa-’80s Season 1 Roseanne clip of Clooney’s Booker and Laurie Metcalf’s Jackie on a bowling date (watch the moment below). It was a rare instance of The Conners playing up its connection to the Roseanne Barr-led mothership series.

Explaining the decision to draw on the franchise’s considerable history by using vintage Roseanne footage, showrunner Bruce Helford tells TVLine, “As soon as we decided that Darlene and Becky would work on the Wellman line like their mom and Jackie before them, we knew it’d be fun to pop in a memory of George. There’s such a rich history to this show and we have the unique gift to be able to flash back to earlier times with our characters, so we pick carefully.”

With Wellman Plastics once again a fixture in the lives of the Conners, Helford is not ruling out present-day Clooney making an appearance at some point. He’s also not holding his breath. “George knows there’s an open invitation to come visit the show, but we knew his schedule would be tough and even tougher in these times,” Helford says. “But who knows what the future may bring?”

In the meantime, Helford has no plans to introduce a new Wellman foreman, although the showrunner teases, “We are revealing some Wellman execs as we go… and some of [them] are very close to home.”

What did you think of Clooney’s “guest appearance” in the COVID-dominated premiere? And are you on board with the show’s decision to lean so heavily into the real-life pandemic in Season 3? Grade the episode and then elaborate in the comments.

Last edited by Admin on Thu 22 Oct 2020, 11:52; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback Empty Re: Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback

Post by Admin Thu 22 Oct 2020, 11:42

Wonder how George felt about this?  I guess he had no say in their using old footage of him?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback Empty Re: Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback

Post by Admin Thu 22 Oct 2020, 11:54

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Why The Conners Season 3 Premiere Included An Unexpected George Clooney Throwback

• LAURA HURLEY

PUBLISHED: OCT. 21. 2020 6:55 PM

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Spoilers ahead for the Season 3 premiere of The Conners on ABC.

The Conners returned to ABC for the Season 3 premiere that revealed how the Conner household is dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic, which involved Becky and Darlene needing to search for new jobs, Dan facing an eviction unless he starts charging his daughters rent, and Jackie going on a blast to the past that involved a throwback to none other than a very young George Clooney from Roseanne. Showrunner Bruce Helford explained why.

Speaking with TVLine about the Conners Season 3 premiere and the appearance of a very young George Clooney from his Roseanne days, Bruce Helford said:

As soon as we decided that Darlene and Becky would work on the Wellman line like their mom and Jackie before them, we knew it’d be fun to pop in a memory of George. There’s such a rich history to this show and we have the unique gift to be able to flash back to earlier times with our characters, so we pick carefully.

Back before he became a big-name movie star, George Clooney played a character by the name of Booker Brooks for eleven episodes of Roseanne, and his time on the show involved a brief romance with Jackie. Booker was the foreman of Wellman Plastics when Jackie and Roseanne worked there early on in Roseanne. His time on the show involved a bowling date with Jackie that The Conners revisited, courtesy of Jackie thinking back to days gone by.

When Wellman Plastics started hiring again, Jackie reminisced about her time there after Darlene said it would be "too easy" to catch something in an assembly line during a pandemic, saying:

Yeah. I was too easy. I caught something once. From the supervisor, Booker. But it was worth it. He looked just like George Clooney. Oh man, I should have hit that 'til I broke it.

The trip down memory lane involved a flashback to Roseanne including a young and very charming George Clooney flirting with Jackie as Booker Brooks. While this wasn't quite Clooney returning to TV to reprise his role as Booker, it did establish that both Booker and George Clooney exist in the Conners universe. Who knew?

That said, the mention of the actor George Clooney doesn't mean that the return of Booker Brooks is out of the question, should the stars align. Bruce Helford weighed in on the idea of Clooney actually appearing on The Conners:

George knows there’s an open invitation to come visit the show, but we knew his schedule would be tough and even tougher in these times. But who knows what the future may bring?

Bruce Helford further revealed that there are no plans to introduce a new foreman at Wellman despite Darlene and Becky beginning to work there, so fans can always dream sweet dreams of George Clooney making an appearance in the present. The Conners has already managed to land some big-name guest stars, including Dan AykroydJennifer Grey, and Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne, not to mention Katey Sagal.

Still, George Clooney is on a whole other level. His TV appearances have also been few and far between since his days on ER, with the exception of a six-episode run on Hulu's Catch-22 limited series adaptation. At least Conners fans can appreciate the Season 3 premiere throwback!

New episodes of The Conners will continue to air on Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 22 Oct 2020, 15:21

lol! OMG! I remember that episode! He was so cute and everyone was hoping he and Jackie would end up together. Lord, I'm getting old! Very Happy

I think George would be fine with this. After all, he did do the work. Also, it seems he's on good terms with people connected to the show - he did use John Goodman in "Monuments Men". And Laurie Metcalfe is a brilliant actress (IMO wasted on "The Conners"). I love that her daughter plays the mother on "Young Sheldon", while she played Sheldon's mother on"Big Bang Theory". I think if they asked, and George could fit it into his schedule, he might do a guest spot. He'd probably think it was fun.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down