George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» The Good News
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 18:19 by annemariew

» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Serious Side - part 4

+9
party animal - not!
LizzyNY
Missa
melbert
carolhathaway
annemarie
Way2Old4Dis
it's me
What Would He Say
13 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Serious Side - part 4

Post by it's me Tue 03 Oct 2017, 05:55

20 minutes

how much time does it need
To set a proper police reaction?

20 minutes sounds short

But to me also long enough to try enter that door somehow 

Here we have not all info
Am I wrong?
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Tue 03 Oct 2017, 08:36

It's me,
the guns caused so much smoke that the smoke alarm in his room was set on. That's why the police was able to locate him so fast. Otherwise many more people would have been killed...

Last edited by carolhathaway on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 08:38; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added text)
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 03 Oct 2017, 12:32

I was thinking
It was
Not so fast

But I don't know the whole story
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 03 Oct 2017, 14:23

It's me - There are tall buildings all around the concert site.  The shooter was in a building across the street from the concert site. He was high up in the building and people couldn't see where the shooting was coming from. The smoke from his guns set off the smoke alarms in his room and that was how he was found. I think the police did as good a job as possible in the circumstances.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 03 Oct 2017, 14:28

He was on the 32nd floor of the hotel not easy to see up that high.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 03 Oct 2017, 18:36

Is it my imagination? Or is Drumbf now using the terrible news from Las Vegas to distract from his visit to the much-troubled Puerto Rico by any chance?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 03 Oct 2017, 18:44

http://people.com/politics/trump-slammed-puerto-rico-hurricane-budget-gaffe/

[size=37]Donald Trump Slammed for Telling Puerto Rico ‘You’ve Thrown Our Budget a Little Out of Whack’ During Island Visit[/size]

BY LINDSAY KIMBLE@LEKIMBLE

POSTED ON OCTOBER 3, 2017 AT 1:36PM EDT

[ltr]

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 Cys7sFY5sDOfi_po[/ltr]

Follow
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 D0Q4voGK_normalCBS News 

✔️@CBSNews
[ltr]"You have thrown our budget a little out of whack, because we've spent a lot of money on Puerto Rico and that's fine," Pres. Trump says[/ltr]

12:19 PM - Oct 3, 2017

•  398398 Replies

•  324324 Retweets

•  260260 likes

[ltr]
Twitter Ads info and privacy[/ltr]

President Donald Trump has arrived in Puerto Rico for the first time since Hurricane Maria devastated the island last month, and is already causing controversy.
During a meeting with local and federal leadership on Tuesday, Trump was introducing his Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney when he commented, “I hate to tell you Puerto Rico, but you’ve thrown our budget a little out of whack, because we’ve spent a lot of money on Puerto Rico, and that’s fine. We’ve saved a lot of lives.”
Trump continued, “Every death is horrible, but if you look at a real catastrophe like Katrina, and you look at the tremendous hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people that died, and you look at what happened here with really a storm that was just totally overpowering, nobody’s ever seen anything like this.”
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 Trump-puerto-ricoAP/REX/SHUTTERSTOCK
The president then asked the “death count” in the wake of the hurricane, and was seemingly pleased to hear the natural disaster has claimed only 16 lives “versus in the thousands,” praising the leaders, “you can be proud.”

Twitter swiftly condemned the president for his comments.

Follow
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 Teatime__normalPatton Oswalt 

✔️@pattonoswalt
[ltr]We. Have. No. President. https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/915249090027548672 …[/ltr]

12:26 PM - Oct 3, 2017

•  243243 Replies

•  2,0602,060 Retweets

•  6,6226,622 likes

[ltr]
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 WGkQtUw67nkg9jP3[/ltr]

Follow
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 G081VumJ_normalJosh Sánchez 

✔️@jnsanchez
[ltr]Just when you think Donald Trump can't get any worse, this guy says to Hurricane victims, "I hate to tell you, you've thrown our budget out of whack."[/ltr]

12:24 PM - Oct 3, 2017

•  1919 Replies

•  7070 Retweets

•  8181 likes

1h
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 MMuzGWcT_normalALTThe Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 1f6c2ImmigrationThe Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 1f1fa-1f1f8 @ALT_uscis

[ltr]Here it is: from his golden mouth.
I am twittered out today. https://twitter.com/cnnpolitics/status/915249263520690177 …[/ltr]

Follow
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 P6wMzz1f_normalCatatonika @HCCSees
[ltr]I hate to tell you trump, but you've thrown our country out of whack.[/ltr]

12:53 PM - Oct 3, 2017

•  11 Reply

•  22 Retweets

•  33 likes

Follow
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 IvuRfUNj_normalEzra Klein 

✔️@ezraklein
[ltr]I now understand why the WH seemed so reluctant to send Trump to make an on-the-ground speech in Puerto Rico. https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/915256217991294982 …[/ltr]

12:47 PM - Oct 3, 2017

•  190190 Replies

•  1,1391,139 Retweets

•  2,3222,322 likes

[ltr]View image on Twitter
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 DLOkbRlUIAAYF9R[/ltr]

Follow
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 AEr9vstR_normalDaniel W. Drezner 

✔️@dandrezner
[ltr]Trump's attempts at empathy in Puerto Rico are going so smoothly:[/ltr]

12:43 PM - Oct 3, 2017

•  1616 Replies

•  4848 Retweets

•  7979 likes

[ltr]
Twitter Ads info and privacy[/ltr]

Hurricane Maria pummeled Puerto Rico on Sept. 20 and left millions without homes and electricity. Experts have estimated that without electricity and supplies, that number could increase to the thousands, according to the Associated Press.
RELATED VIDEO: Puerto Rico Is 100 Percent Without Power in the Aftermath of Hurricane Maria—Here’s How You Can Help With Disaster Relief

Puerto Rico Is 100 Percent Without Power in the Aftermath of Hurricane Maria—Here’s How You Can Help With Disaster Relief
Hurricane Irma: Devastated The Island Nation Of Dominica, The British Virgin Islands, & Puerto Rico

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 03 Oct 2017, 20:18

LizzyNY wrote:It's me - There are tall buildings all around the concert site.  The shooter was in a building across the street from the concert site. He was high up in the building and people couldn't see where the shooting was coming from. The smoke from his guns set off the smoke alarms in his room and that was how he was found. I think the police did as good a job as possible in the circumstances.

Ok
Thanks
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 03 Oct 2017, 20:25

No American President would ever talk to another state or its own territory in their time of crisis the way Trump demeaned Puerto Rico today. 

Lizzy, Republican Members of Congress have always rationalized their full support for the second amendment despite the continuing mass shootings in our country. They have done it time and time again.  They will claim that this incident is extraordinary (as is each mass shooting) and that this guy owned these guns legally.  He was within his rights to have as many guns as he did and he had proper background checks. The fact that this guy went off the rails and killed so many people is besides the point.  They refuse to stand up to the NRA.  it will take extraordinary measures  to change this mentality.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 03 Oct 2017, 21:18

Donnamarie  - If this doesn't change things (and it won't) nothing ever will. God alone knows what the NRA has on the Republican party that makes them sell their souls - and our national security - on this issue. IMO they all have blood on their hands and are as guilty as the maniac who pulled the trigger.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Tue 03 Oct 2017, 22:38

Lizzy,
you're absolutely right, and we all know about that. But I can already hear the NRA's arguments: Guns don't kill people, people kill people. If only the good guys in the audience and on stage had had guns as well, they could have killed the shooter. Etc, etc. We've heard these arguments after every massacre / shooting in the States.

Today I saw a tweet saying: During all wars Americans were involved in from the beginning of history, 1.3 million Americn soldiers were killed on battlefields. Since 1968, more than 1.5 million Americans were killed by guns. 
Even if this number includes suicides, it's still terrifying. And even more horrifying is the fact that nothing is done to change this. We've talked about it several times in COH, we know that it's just a question of time until it happens again. And that's the worst about it all.

Last edited by carolhathaway on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 22:43; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added text)
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 04 Oct 2017, 00:28

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4946352/White-House-Gun-control-compromising-freedoms.html

[size=34]Gun control is 'compromising our freedoms': what the White House told allies to say in the wake of Las Vegas massacre[/size]

• The White House issued talking points to Republican allies shortly after Sunday night's deadly mass-shooting in Las Vegas

• Message against gun control: 'We shouldn't rush toward compromising our freedoms before we have all the facts' 

• Waters muddied with comparisons with terrorists who have committed attacks 'with knives, by people driving cars into crowds, and hijacking airplanes'

• Trump sent a slightly more nuanced signal on Tuesday morning, telling reporters that 'we'll be talking about gun laws as time goes by' 

By DAVID MARTOSKO, US POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 18:03 EDT, 3 October 2017 | UPDATED: 18:55 EDT, 3 October 2017

The White House issued talking points to Republican allies shortly after Sunday night's deadly mass-shooting in Las Vegas, asking them to articulate an uncompromising view of gun owners' rights.
The messaging guide, obtained by NBC News, offers a glimpse into how the Trump administration aims to quell new demands for strict gun control laws in the wake of the massacre.
'[W]e welcome this debate,' one talking point reads, 'but in the wake of Sunday night's tragedy, we shouldn't rush toward compromising our freedoms before we have all the facts.'
Democrats in Congress have already demanded the creation of a special legislative committee to address gun violence, and asked for a law banning the sale ogf gun suppressors, also known as 'silencers.'
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4502025B00000578-4946352-image-a-63_1507071309884

+5

The Trump administration rushed anti-gun-control talking points to Republican allies after a cfrazed gunman killed 59 people Sunday night in Las Vegas
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 44FD20C300000578-4946352-image-a-36_1507068112234

+5

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 44FD20BF00000578-4946352-image-a-38_1507068112618

+5

Photos have emerged of two of the 23 firearms found in Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock's hotel room. The weapon on the left has a bump stock added to make it fully automatic, a scope for accuracy and an oversize magazine to hold more ammunition. The weapon on the right has markings indicating it was made by Daniel Defense, a bipod for stability, and a telescopic lens 
The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees 'the right to bear arms' – a broad mandate that courts ave interpreted as a nearly unfettered license to own firearms.
The White House's communications team crafted a set of arguments sending a message that the president won't budge on Democrats' attempts to roll those rights back.
'The President believes that our founding principles, like freedom of speech, freedom of religion and the right to bear arms must be protected while maintaining public safety,' they read.
'And when it comes to gun control, let's be clear: new laws won't stop a mad man committed to harming innocent people. They will curtail the freedoms of law abiding citizens.'
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 450217FF00000578-4946352-image-a-64_1507071316752

+5

This is part of the White House's talking points distributed to GOP allies after Sunday night's Las Vegas shooting massacre

[size=10][size=18]Democrats push for stricter gun laws after Las Vegas massacre

%
0:15
[/size][/size]

MORE VIDEOS
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 44FCFE4500000578-0-image-a-67_1507029846093

Security expert warns of copycat attack after Las Ve…

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 44FDE1F100000578-0-image-a-1_1507038622047

Trump says Las Vegas shooter 'sick,' will discuss g…

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 Wire-1460763-1506962469-815_154x115

Donald Trump: Las Vegas massacre was an act of pur…

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 450052DE00000578-0-image-a-5_1507050392419

Nephew of shooter's girlfriend describes Stephen Paddock

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 44F8569300000578-4946352-image-a-41_1507068119640

+5

Trump sent a slightly more nuanced signal on Tuesday morning, telling reporters that 'we'll be talking about gun laws as time goes by.'
The president offered an uncompromising, iron-clad defense of the Second Amendment when he campaigned for the White House.
Steve Bannon, his former chief strategist in the West Wing, told the Axios news website on Tuesday that the idea of Trump embracing gun control is 'impossible' to think, and would 'be the end of everything' – eroding his political base past the point of repair.
The White House intended to muddy the waters in the wake of the Las Vegas murders, drawing comparisons with terrorists who have committed attacks 'with knives, by people driving cars into crowds, and hijacking airplanes.'

[size=18]White House calls Dem demands for action on guns 'premature'

[/size]

'And some of America's cities with the strictest gun laws hsave the highest rates of gun violence,' the talking points continued.
'Examples include: Chicago last year had over 4,300 shooting victims. Baltimore last year had over 900 shooting victims.'
'This shows that more laws on the books may not work,' the White House added.
'The problems in these cities and many others isn't too few gun laws.'
President Trump will visit Las Vegas on Wednesday.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 04 Oct 2017, 00:57

That memo is disgusting! They're so worried about their gun rights that they're willing to sell the rights of the rest of us down the river. I've never been so ashamed of my government. Every day brings a new low, but THIS has to be rock bottom.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 04 Oct 2017, 07:32

In the end it doesn't matter if this man had mental issues, was radicalized by somebody or whatever. It matters that he had guns and used them to kill and injure nearly 600 people! 

By the way:
Who pays for the peoples' medical treatment? Pays if they are handicapped and need a  wheelchair? pays their income if they are not able to work anymore?? The NRA? Trump? Bannon?
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 04 Oct 2017, 15:27

Carolhathaway - You may have just found a solution to our gun problem. Maybe the survivors of these mass shootings can get together and file suit against the Congressmen who vote for legislation that makes these kinds of shootings possible.  Maybe they can charge them with civil rights violations because allowing these kinds of guns to be privately owned impinges on everyone's right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" if you can't go to  concert without fear of being shot. Or maybe they can sue for medical expenses. There must be some lawyers out there who would be willing to look into it.

Maybe if the idiots in Congress who pass these laws thought they'd be held personally - and financially- responsible, they might put the country's interests above their own.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 04 Oct 2017, 17:54

I know I'm great! sarcasm

But seriously, what happens to these victims of mass-shootings who have no health insurance and suffer permanently? Who pays their bills? I guess there's a legal loophole in many countries, including mine, at least when it's about other than medical bills. I just read a report today about an accident in Hamburg in spring. Somebody stole a car and crashed into a taxi. The passenger in the taxi and the thief of the stolen car died, and the taxi driver was seriously injured - the story is about him. He's still not able to work, and since he's worked nightshifts before and was self-employed, the insurance just pays him about 30 % of his average salary. He's got five kids and was always able to earn enough for his family (his wife is a housewife, so she can't comprehense the pay gap. His kids are all still at school, they bought a house years ago and he can't pay the instalment anymore...
Fortunately, there's some help. We've got an organization which helps victims of crimes, other taxi drivers collected money for him etc. Now just imagine how much harder it would be if he'd also have to worry about who's going to pay for  his medical bills... A nightmare

Last edited by carolhathaway on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 17:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Auto-correction is on, corrects everything into German or a fantasy language...)
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 04 Oct 2017, 21:26

http://people.com/human-interest/hurricane-maria-puerto-rico-young-professionals-help/

[size=37]How Young Professionals in Puerto Rico Are Fighting for Their Future: ‘We Need More Action’[/size]

BY ERIN HILL@ERINHILLNY

POSTED ON OCTOBER 4, 2017 AT 1:59PM EDT

• TWEET
  • EMAIL

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 Christopher-foster-6[url=https://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fhuman-interest%2Fhurricane-maria-puerto-rico-young-professionals-help%2F&media=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F10%2Fchristopher-foster-6.jpg%3Fw%3D1024&description=How Young Professionals in Puerto Rico Are Fighting for Their Future: %E2%80%98We Need More%C2%A0Action%E2%80%99][/url]
From left: Jorge Sanders, Ramon Ortiz and Christopher FosterCHRISTOPHER FOSTER
In the wake of Hurricane Maria’s destruction, a group of young professionals in San Juan have banded together to provide relief to as many friends, neighbors and strangers in need as they can. Using their connections, these young entrepreneurs have begun to fill in the gap as the government struggles to provide resources to the millions of storm victims.
“We see how bad it is, we see that the government has their hands full. This is a huge undertaking and there’s a vacuum where we can try and step in, leveraging our networks and our connections as best we can to help,” Christopher Foster, 33, tells PEOPLE. “There is a group of us starting to get together and brainstorm all the different things that we can do to try and help. Everybody has their own skillsets down here and we’re trying to bring them together. We have the opportunity to make a difference.”
These young entrepreneurs, who call their initiative Jóvenes x Puerto Rico (Young People for Puerto Rico), want to raise awareness for the 3 million residents who remain without power and running water. In the past week, they’ve mobilized restaurants to come together to deliver food to those in need. And they’re renting trucks filled with water and ice from distribution centers in San Juan and delivering them to other municipalities. A GoFundMe account has been set up for their initiative here.

“We were one of the few lucky ones who were able to have a little cell service and access to some WiFi, so we were able to deliver messages from Puerto Ricans to family members in the States,” says Jorge Sanders, 32, a communications consultant and medical cannabis facility manager. “And we’ve been delivering meals to people less fortunate than us. Here in San Juan, we are just two minutes away from the biggest airport in the Caribbean, yet there are people here who are dying without food and water.”
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 Christopher-foster-8[url=https://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fhuman-interest%2Fhurricane-maria-puerto-rico-young-professionals-help%2F&media=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F10%2Fchristopher-foster-8.jpg%3Fw%3D2000&description=Delavida restaurant in Santurce%2C San Juan%2C is giving out 500 meals on a daily basis.][/url]Delavida restaurant in Santurce, San Juan, is giving out 500 meals on a daily basis.CHRISTOPHER FOSTERThe Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 Christopher-foster-7[url=https://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fhuman-interest%2Fhurricane-maria-puerto-rico-young-professionals-help%2F&media=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F10%2Fchristopher-foster-7.jpg%3Fw%3D2000&description=Foster%2C Sanders and Ortiz help hand out meals to those in need.][/url]Foster, Sanders and Ortiz help hand out meals to those in need.CHRISTOPHER FOSTER
Adds Ramon Ortiz, 31, a lawyer originally from Ponce: “We’re taping into our contacts and clients stateside who want to help. We want to go where the people need the help.”
And as President Trump continues to receive backlash for his response to the crisis, the people of Puerto Rico struggle for basic necessities.
“When you’re here on the ground, you see the reality, and it’s just so far from the perception that’s trying to be created,” says Foster, a small business owner and entrepreneur who is originally from New York. “This is basic supply and demand issue.”
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 Christopher-foster-2[url=https://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fhuman-interest%2Fhurricane-maria-puerto-rico-young-professionals-help%2F&media=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F10%2Fchristopher-foster-2.jpg%3Fw%3D1874&description=Palmas Del Mar%2C Humacao][/url]Palmas Del Mar, HumacaoCHRISTOPHER FOSTERThe Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 Christopher-foster-3HumacaoCHRISTOPHER FOSTER
“You have to go out there and see the suffering,” adds Sanders, who just days ago traveled to his hometown of Aguadilla, 82 miles west of San Juan, to see the devastation firsthand. “There is no doubt that the reason the crisis hasn’t been worse is because Puerto Ricans have been helping out their brothers and sisters and not waiting for aid that has never come.”
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 Christopher-foster-10[url=https://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fhuman-interest%2Fhurricane-maria-puerto-rico-young-professionals-help%2F&media=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F10%2Fchristopher-foster-10.jpg%3Fw%3D2000&description=People waiting in line for hours at a gas station in San Juan][/url]People waiting in line for hours at a gas station in San JuanCHRISTOPHER FOSTERThe Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 Christopher-foster-1[url=https://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fhuman-interest%2Fhurricane-maria-puerto-rico-young-professionals-help%2F&media=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F10%2Fchristopher-foster-1.jpg%3Fw%3D2000&description=Destruction in Yabucoa][/url]Destruction in YabucoaCHRISTOPHER FOSTER
“The biggest difference — besides how long the lines outside the stores are compared to those in San Juan — were the faces of the people in those lines,” he says of his visit to Aguadilla. “They were faces that you only see in movies or TV shows — the anguish that only comes with not being able to find food or water for you and your children. We need more action.”

RELATED VIDEO: Puerto Rico Is 100 Percent Without Power in the Aftermath of Hurricane Maria—Here’s How You Can Help With Disaster Relief

[size=14][size=14]Puerto Rico Is 100 Percent Without Power in the Aftermath of Hurricane Maria—Here’s How You Can Help With Disaster Relief

Hurricane Irma: Devastated The Island Nation Of Dominica, The British Virgin Islands, & Puerto Rico

[/size][/size]
[size=49][size=49]Play Video[/size][/size]
[size]
While the island tries to recover from the damage, these young professionals are also considering the economic future of the island, which was already crippled by a debt crisis before the storm hit.
“How do we survive on our own and get our businesses up and running and at the same time try to address all the big picture things that are going on and help people out?” says Foster. “If this island does not receive a huge injection of capital, guidance and resources from the federal government, we will be at risk of really not being able to come back together the way that we need to. We need to continue to try to get that message out.”
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 Christopher-foster-4[url=https://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fhuman-interest%2Fhurricane-maria-puerto-rico-young-professionals-help%2F&media=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F10%2Fchristopher-foster-4.jpg%3Fw%3D2000&description=Sanders%2C Ortiz and Foster][/url]Sanders, Ortiz and FosterCHRISTOPHER FOSTER
Despite the challenges ahead, they have resolved to stay on the island and rebuild their businesses — and inspire others to do the same.

“A huge fear we have is that other young professionals and entrepreneurs are going to leave Puerto Rico because it would be easier to leave everything behind and start over,” says Foster. “So federal assistance will have a direct correlation to people staying.”
Adds Ortiz: “We need more help. We need more money, we need an injection of people going to areas that need assistance — it’s only going to get worse. We don’t want people to forget two weeks to a month from now that this is still going on.”
To donate to Jóvenes x Puerto Rico’s GoFundMe account, click here.[/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Thu 05 Oct 2017, 12:38

carolhathaway wrote:I know I'm great! sarcasm

But seriously, what happens to these victims of mass-shootings who have no health insurance and suffer permanently? Who pays their bills? I guess there's a legal loophole in many countries, including mine, at least when it's about other than medical bills. I just read a report today about an accident in Hamburg in spring. Somebody stole a car and crashed into a taxi. The passenger in the taxi and the thief of the stolen car died, and the taxi driver was seriously injured - the story is about him. He's still not able to work, and since he's worked nightshifts before and was self-employed, the insurance just pays him about 30 % of his average salary. He's got five kids and was always able to earn enough for his family (his wife is a housewife, so she can't comprehense the pay gap. His kids are all still at school, they bought a house years ago and he can't pay the instalment anymore...
Fortunately, there's some help. We've got an organization which helps victims of crimes, other taxi drivers collected money for him etc. Now just imagine how much harder it would be if he'd also have to worry about who's going to pay for  his medical bills... A nightmare
They often declare bankruptcy.  If you are unable to work, you can apply for disability aid if you have worked long enough in the US to be eligible.  I am not sure there are a lot of options.

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 05 Oct 2017, 16:00

Carolhathaway - The one bright spot is that there are people who are willing to help him out. His fellow taxi drivers and the organization that helps crime victims can make a difference. Also, in this age of social media, he can go online to GoFundMe or some site like that to ask for help.

Here in the US disability aid is available but it is difficult to get without all kinds of red tape to go through before they approve you. Even if you qualify they try as hard as they can not to pay out.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 05 Oct 2017, 17:50

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4952222/WH-welcomes-thoughtful-conversations-bump-stocks.html

[size=34]White House IS on to a ban on 'bump stocks' which let Stephen Paddock turn his rifles automatic says Kellyanne as she blames Obama for them being legal[/size]

• Kellyanne Conway said 'we always welcome thoughtful conversation' as she discussed how GOP lawmakers are flirting with Democrats on a bump stock ban

• On morning TV Thursday, Conway pointed out multiple times that President Obama's ATF decided in 2010 not to regulate the devices 

• So while she expressed an openness to a discussion, she suggested the role the Obama administration played be part of that conversation too

By NIKKI SCHWAB, U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 11:06 EDT, 5 October 2017 | UPDATED: 11:50 EDT, 5 October 2017

Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway suggested the White House is at least open to a conversation about banning bump stocks, the devices that turned Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock's semiautomatic rifles into machine guns.
Though, always quick to blame a Democrat, Conway reminded TV audiences Thursday that it was President Obama's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives that decided in 2010 not to regulate the product, calling it a 'goofy little doodad.'
Conway then pointed to Republicans in Congress flirting with Democrats on a bump stock ban, with House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., and House Judiciary Committee Chairman Robert Goodlatte, R-Va., both saying Thursday that they will consider regulating the device. 
'Many of them are open to a conversation, we always welcome thoughtful conversations,' Conway said on Fox & Friends, indicating the White House could give such a ban a blessing, a highly unusual step for a Republican administration.
'I would just note for the viewers, that since bump stock has not been in the lexicon before, this is a device that President Obama's ATF decided would not be regulated in 2010 and I think that's an important part of this conversation,' Conway said. 
Scroll down for video 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4510341800000578-4952222-image-m-2_1507215372356

+9

Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway said Thursday that the White House, like Hill Republicans, 'welcome thoughtful conversations' on gun control matters 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4510340000000578-4952222-image-m-4_1507215446658

+9

When Kellyanne Conway (right) tried to point out that it was the Obama administration that allowed bump stocks not to be regulated CNN's Chris Cuomo (left) wasn't having it 
Conway went on to knock Hillary Clinton, who brought up gun control almost immediately after the Las Vegas assault, as well as bash other top Democrats. 
The counselor to the president used the same talking points when appearing on CNN with New Day host Chris Cuomo. 
This time around, it didn't go as smoothly. 
'Kellyanne, I am tired, so I apologize in advance, but I have to tell you, a lot of this doesn't wash,' Cuomo said, after Conway brought up the Obama connection and then knocked Clinton and Sens. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., who have both called for stricter gun control. 
Cuomo argued that, 'All you need to know about bump stock is that it was legal And that's what allowed him to lay down that field of fire. That's all you need to know about it.' 
'There's no thoughtful conversation to have about it. Of course it was 2010. Of course it was the Obama administration,' he added, pointing out that bump stocks are a relatively new technology. 'I'm saying don't cheapen what happened in Las Vegas.'  
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 450D515900000578-4949140-image-a-68_1507178159701

+9

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (pictured) promised victims of the Las Vegas mass shooting that she would not rest until Congress acted on gun control during a town hall meeting on Wednesday

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 450C2FC000000578-4949140-image-a-110_1507174749961

+9

'I do think there would be bipartisan support coming together to pass a bill to make it illegal to sell those because you can buy them now,' Pelosi said
On Wednesday, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said she believed there may be momentum to pass legislation to ban bump fire stocks as Republicans reveal they are open to banning the devices that the Las Vegas gunman used to make his weapons deadlier.
'I do think there would be bipartisan support coming together to pass a bill to make it illegal to sell those because you can buy them now,' Pelosi said during a town hall on CNN. 
Earlier on Wednesday, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., introduced legislation that would ban the sale and possession of bump stocks. 
'In just nine minutes an individual was able to turn a concert venue into a battlefield,' Feinstein told reporters at a Capitol Hill press conference, flanked by Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., whose home state was rattled in 2012 by the Sandy Hook mass shooting, and Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt.
Overall, Feinstein got 29 of her fellow Democrats to sign on in just a few hours. 

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 45099DEA00000578-4949140-image-m-3_1507139556050

+9

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., introduced legislation alongside her Democratic colleagues on Wednesday to ban the sale and possession of bump stocks, of which the Las Vegas killer had 12 such devices, she said 

Zero Republicans joined in the effort, though several GOP senators indicated Wednesday that the measure isn't dead upon arrival, like most gun control proposals. 
The Senate's third-ranking Republican, Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., said bump stocks are 'something I think we'll look at,' while Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C, suggested it was a 'good time' to hold a hearing on the matter. 
'I'm not an expert on bump stocks, [but] all things that make America safer and don't infringe on the Second Amendment, count me in,' Graham said, according to CBS News. 
Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., made an even more definitive statement. 
'Automatic weapons are illegal. To me, that is part of that same type of process. So I have no problem banning those,' Johnson said. 
Rep. Bill Flores, a popular Texas conservative serving in his fourth term in the House, was the first congressional Republican to endorse the idea of a ban on bump stocks. 

RELATED ARTICLES

Flores' spokesman confirmed the congressman's position on Wednesday.
On the House side, a similar bump stock ban bill has 148 co-sponsors, but so far they're all Democrats.  
Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn, the senior Republican senator from Texas, also told reporters Wednesday that the bump stock issue is worth examining, and that he spoke with Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, about holding a hearing. 
'I will tell you that the unique aspect of the bump stock and how you would literally transform a semiautomatic weapon into an automatic weapon is something that I think bears looking into,' Cornyn said.
Several other Senate Republicans also signaled their desire for a hearing on bump stocks.
On Sunday night, when 64-year-old Stephen Paddock pumped bullet after bullet into the crowd below his Mandalay Bay hotel room he had 12 such devices.

So far the death toll stands at 58, with more than 500 wounded. 'Those numbers are simply stunning,' Feinstein uttered. 
The devices, known as 'bump stocks' among other things, are legal and were originally intended to help people with limited hand mobility to fire a semi-automatic without the individual trigger pulls required.
They are attached to the rear of the gun and allow the rifle to slide back and forward while firing, causing the trigger to 'bump' into the shooter's finger with the natural recoil of each shot.
So long as the shooter keeps his or her finger over the trigger, the semi-automatic gun will keep firing rapidly - much like a full-automatic.
The result is that the weapon's rate of fire is increased from between 45 and 60 rounds per minute to between 400 and 800 rounds per minute, according to Feinstein's office. 
The California Democrat explained how bump stocks cost less than $200 and turn legal semiautomatic weapons into automatic ones, which are supposed to be illegal for civilians to have in the United States. 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4509A87C00000578-4949140-image-m-5_1507139577177

+9

Sen. Dianne Feinstein was joined at a press conference by Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt. (left), and Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn. (right) 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 450D515500000578-4949140-ON_THE_FENCE_Republican_Sens_John_Thune_R_S_D_pictured_and_Linds-m-74_1507178205798
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4509D17500000578-4949140-Republican_Sens_John_Thune_R_S_D_and_Lindsey_Graham_R_S_C_pictur-a-75_1507178214395

ON THE FENCE? Republican Sens. John Thune, R-S.D. (left) and Lindsey Graham, R-S.C. (right) both indicated Wednesday that the bump stock issue was worth a look 
The bill makes it illegal for anyone to 'import, sell, manufacture, transfer or possess' trigger cranks or bump stocks, along with any other device that turns a semiautomatic weapon into a 'machine gun.' 
'The only reason to modify a gun is to kill as many people as possible in as short a time as possible,' Feinstein said.

The quick pace of the gun fire from Sunday's shooting was audible in video footage from the event, as Paddock sprayed bullets onto attendees of the Route 91 Harvest country musical festival on the Las Vegas strip. 
'The searing noise of that staccato firing in Las Vegas that every body has now heard countless times should be a wake-up call to this Congress,' said Blumenthal when he took his turn at the podium. 'That firing ought to be echoing in our minds as we consider whether a bump stock device should be able to be sold lawfully, online.' 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 450BC9A500000578-4949140-image-a-109_1507174581198

+9

Rep. Bill Flores, a popular Texas conservative serving in his fourth term in the House, was the first congressional Republican to endorse the idea of a ban on bump stocks
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 450B611F00000578-4949140-image-a-63_1507167118112

+9

The devices, known as 'bump stocks' among other names, are legal and originally were intended to help people with limited hand mobility fire a semi-automatic without the individual trigger pulls required

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 450B525600000578-4949140-image-a-64_1507167166261

+9

They can fit over the rear shoulder-stock assembly on an automatic rifle and with applied pressure cause the weapon to fire continuously, increasing the rate from between 45 and 60 rounds per minute to between 400 and 800 rounds per minute

President Trump visited survivors, family members, first responders and medical providers in Las Vegas on Wednesday. 
Speaking directly to the president, Blumenthal said: 'I hope you will provide leadership and at the very least back a bill that stops these killer accelerators, like these bump stops.' 
The White House's initial reaction to the shooting was to say that it was premature to bring up gun control measures.   
Feinstein, echoing many of her fellow Democrats, asked, 'If not, when will we ever do it?'  
At the presser she also talked about how close she came to having a truly personal stake in this latest gun-related tragedy. 
'My own daughter was going to go. They were going to go with neighbors. They were going to stay at that hotel,' she said. 'That's how close it came to me.' 
'I thought, oh God, it's one of those misses in life,' the Democratic senator said.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 05 Oct 2017, 18:33

I don't understand how Conway could say that Obama was responsible for that........he was powerless wasn't he, because the Republicans had a majority in Congress?

And here's Trump talking about himself yet again. It's always 'Me, me,me'

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/04/trump-visits-las-vegas-after-attack-its-a-very-very-sad-day-for-me-personally

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 05 Oct 2017, 20:18

Pan they will always find a way to blame Obama. Nothing is ever their fault. They will do nothing to stop these guns from being sold .

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Thu 05 Oct 2017, 21:11

Gun 'rights' advocates get defensive and knee-jerk emotional about their guns because there is absolutely no rationale for private ownership of multiple weapons or any military-grade weapon.

Any time I go to Panera, they know how many sandwiches or bowls of soup or whatever I've bought. Don't tell me we can't keep track of gun sales and ammunition. I think that anyone who owns a gun of any kind, or who wants to buy a gun of any kind, should be required to have the same kind of card. And anybody who sells a gun(s) should be required to electronically record and report the sale. (Private sellers/buyers can report same-day online. Same with gun shows. No excuses, no exceptions.)

If a crime is committed with a gun and the seller didn't register the sale, s/he is as liable as the criminal. If a child is accidentally shot with an unreported gun, the seller is legally as much at fault as the gun owner.

You want a gun for personal protection? Fine. You can have one fucking gun. Registered. Hunter? One to three hunting-specific guns. Call yourself a 'collector?' You can buy as many as you want, but they all have to be inoperable.

Ammunition should be recorded and reported the same way. There should be a limit. And it should be expensive and heavily taxed. Buy too much, you get a visit from well-trained Homeland Security agents, and go on a domestic terror watch list.

And all this bump stock, gun altering paraphernalia that makes already deadly weapons even more dangerous, should be strictly illegal to buy and sell. Anybody in such a condition that they need help pulling the trigger on a semi-automatic weapon shouldn't be firing anything anyway. And yes, some people will make these gadgets themselves. But we don't have to assist the masses in buying them. This is ridiculous.

I grew up around guns. My father, uncles, and cousins were hunters, military men, and police officers... with a couple of thugs thrown in. I don't like them, but I understand that some people do. But the personal arsenal mentality is just crazy. Any given person can use only one gun at a time to protect him/herself. More than that is vanity and machismo... or preparation to do something evil.

... And I realize I'm whistling in the wind.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 05 Oct 2017, 21:30

Way2old4dis, your plan is great. If only they would do this .

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 05 Oct 2017, 21:37

And to add my 2 cents:
When the 2nd Amandment was installed (I just checked the Date) in 1791, weapons were totally different from today. If you think about the weapons used in the Civil War (I have to admit that my knowledge is mostly based on films and books), guns were used which were able to kill or injure one person, so you were able to protect yourself when you were attacked.
The shooter in Vegas modified his guns so they were able to shoot Up to 800 shooter per minute. Nobody needs a gun like that for self-defense...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 05 Oct 2017, 22:58

Way2Old - Great ideas as always. Thumbs up! I would only add that I think all guns should be manufactured with a gps locator and it should be registered with law enforcement.

Anyone caught with or selling an automatic weapon (or semi-automatic, as far as I'm concerned) should be fined at least one year's income and locked up if the gun is used in a crime. There is no legitimate reason for anyone outside the military to have one of these guns.

It's time the Congressmen who are on the NRA payroll are called out for what they are: lackeys to the gun industry with blood on their hands.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 06 Oct 2017, 19:06

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4956202/Birth-control-Trump-expands-opt-workplace-insurance.html

[size=34]Trump dramatically rolls back free contraception for women under Obamacare rules - but will face court challenge over move[/size]

• New rules issued Friday allow many more organizations than before to opt out of providing free contraception to employees on religious or moral grounds

• Religious exemption previously applied to houses of worship, religiously affiliated nonprofit groups, and closely-held private companies

• All for-profit companies will now be able to seek an exemption

• Measure was promised by Trump after long-running controversy over nuns who took battle not to provide contraception to employees to federal court 

• The roll-back to part of Obamacare will be challenged in court by birth control advocates

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
PUBLISHED: 11:24 EDT, 6 October 2017 | UPDATED: 13:45 EDT, 6 October 2017

President Donald Trump is allowing more employers to opt out of providing no-cost birth control to women by claiming religious or moral objections, issuing new rules Friday that take another step in rolling back the Obama health care law.
The new policy is a long-expected revision to federal rules that require most companies to cover birth control as preventive care for women, at no additional cost. 
Preventive services are supposed to be free of charge to employees and their dependents under former President Barack Obama's Affordable Care Act.
Trump's religious and moral exemption is expected to galvanize both his opponents and religious conservatives that back him, but it's likely to have a limited impact on America's largely secular workplaces. 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4519CD8000000578-0-image-a-18_1507305936802

+3

Controversial move:  Birth control advocates say they will challenge the move by the president in court
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4519CD9800000578-4956202-image-a-19_1507305940472

+3

Mandate: Obama made free contraception in employee insurance schemes part of the healthcare legislation seen as his key legacy
Most women no longer pay for birth control, and advocates immediately announced plans to try to block the new rule in court.
Although tens of thousands of women could be affected by Trump's new policy, the vast majority of companies have no qualms about offering birth control benefits through their health plans. 
Human resource managers recognize that employers get an economic benefit from helping women space out their pregnancies, since female workers are central to most enterprises.
The administration estimated that some 200 employers who have already voiced objections to the Obama-era policy would qualify for the expanded opt-out, and that 120,000 women would be affected. 
However, it's unclear how major religious-affiliated employers such as Catholic hospitals and universities will respond.
Since contraception became a covered preventive benefit, the share of women employees paying their own money for birth control pills has plunged to under 4 percent, from 21 percent, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation.
The Trump administration's revision broadens a religious exemption that previously applied to houses of worship, religiously affiliated nonprofit groups, and closely-held private companies. 
Administration officials said the new policy defends religious freedom. Privately owned for-profit companies, as well as publicly-traded for-profit companies will be able to seek an exemption.
Officials also said the administration is tightening oversight of how plans sold under the health law cover abortion. 

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4519C3A100000578-4956202-image-a-20_1507306062991

+3

Previous protests: The challenge brought to the contraception mandate by a group of Catholic nuns prompted demonstrations outside the Supreme Court 
With limited exceptions, abortions can only be paid for through a separate premium collected from enrollees. 
No public subsidies can be used, except in cases that involve rape, incest, or preserving the life of the mother.
Doctors' groups that were key to derailing Republican plans to repeal the health law outright expressed dismay over the administration's move on birth control.
The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists said the new policy could reverse the recent progress in lowering the nation's rate of unintended pregnancies.
'Instead of fulfilling its mission 'to enhance and protect the health and well-being of all Americans,' HHS leaders under the current administration are focused on turning back the clock on women's health,' said the organization's president, Dr. Haywood Brown.
Women's groups said they would try to stop the administration from carrying out the changes.
'The rules give employers a license to discriminate against women,' said Fatima Goss Graves, president of the National Women's Law Center. 'We will take immediate legal steps to block these unfair and discriminatory rules.'
Administration officials said the new policy takes effect right away.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 06 Oct 2017, 20:19

Didn't somebody say on COH a while ago that the Republicans protect human life before birth but not after? 
I just read that it's also getting more difficult for women to have an abortion legally. But at the same time they cut medical aid for kids of families with low incomes. Which proves exactly that...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 06 Oct 2017, 21:00

Completely hypocritical stance by the Republican Party carol.  Republicans love to sound self righteous in supposedly protecting the unborn.  If they could they would reverse the Supreme Court decision that supports a woman's right to abortion.

Just this week a Republican Congressman from Pennsylvania announced he would be quitting the Congress this month.  Rep. Tim Murphy who has been a staunch anti-abortion legislator and was having an extramarital affair told his mistress to get an abortion.  Sweet guy!  Republicans are always looking for ways to cut food stamps, temporary assistance to needy families and early childhood education funding.  Yep, it's all about what happens in the womb.

And, by the way, despite the fact that Congress failed several times to repeal Obamacare this year the Trump administration is using tactics to decimate it to the point that the program will implode.  He is literally sabotaging the health care law and getting away with it.  If he lasts long enough I don't know how this doesn't come back to bite him in the ass in the next election.

Last edited by Donnamarie on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 21:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 06 Oct 2017, 21:38

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/11/the-bonfire-of-humanity/540609/

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 06 Oct 2017, 23:29

A couple of things re Trump.

a) playing to the extreme right Christian evangelist voters re the pill etc - and also saving government money

b) .'Calm before the storm' comment a wind up to get the headlines. Means nothing

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 07 Oct 2017, 01:30

PAN - Thanks so much for the Atlantic article. Wow! Brilliant analysis. I wonder if he reviewed the movie when it first came out and if he liked it as much then.

Re: "Calm before the storm" - don't underestimate the enormous amount of stupid and crazy that combine to make Trump. He is truly dangerous.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 07 Oct 2017, 04:38

Terrific find PAN.  A fascinating read.  I was looking online at past write-ups of the movie and saw one of the film's poster.  Emblazoned across George's image are the words "The Truth Can Be Adjusted".  Prophetic ... 
Without a doubt my favorite George movie.  Great storytelling and great characters.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 07 Oct 2017, 21:43

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4958356/Trump-wages-war-unfunny-late-night-hosts.html

[size=34]Comedians lay into Trump after he complains about their 'unfunny' coverage of him[/size]

• President Trump said late night hosts were 'repetitive' in their jokes about them

• Complained that Democrats are not treated the same and asked for 'equal TV time'

• Later, he accused NBC news of being 'knowingly inaccurate' with their reports 

• Seth Meyers immediately responded to his first complaints mockingly

• He invited the president to his studio at 'Penguin Avenue, Antarctica'

• Trump will spend the day in Washington DC before going to North Carolina at night

By JENNIFER SMITH FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 09:54 EDT, 7 October 2017 | UPDATED: 15:06 EDT, 7 October 2017

Late night TV hosts laid into President Trump on Saturday after he complained about their 'unfunny' coverage of him. 
Seth Meyers, Jim Jeffries and Jimmy Kimmel all ridiculed the president for the remark and his additional claim that they are conspiring with Democrats in their jokes about him.
Early on Saturday morning, Trump tweeted: 'Late Night host are dealing with the Democrats for their very "unfunny" & repetitive material, always anti-Trump! Should we get Equal Time?' 
He later added: 'More and more people are suggesting that Republicans (and me) should be given Equal Time on T.V. when you look at the one-sided coverage?' 
Meyers was the first to return fire.   

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 451F04A500000578-4958356-image-a-13_1507383920638

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 451F04AC00000578-4958356-image-a-14_1507383925399

President Trump complained on Saturday morning about the treatment he received from 'unfunny' late night TV hosts 
'We'd love to have you! Studio located at 15 Penguin Avenue, Antarctica,' he tweeted this morning. 
Kimmel later replied to the president: 'Excellent point Mr. President! You should quit that boring job - I'll let you have my show ALL to yourself #MAGA' 
Jim Jeffries said in a separate response: 'Yeah, it’s not hard to find large numbers of people who all agree on the same horrible idea.' 
Late night hosts like Meyers, Jimmy Kimmel and Stephen Colbert have relied on Trump consistently for material since he took office. 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 451F048E00000578-4958356-image-a-18_1507383978311

The president was immediately mocked by Seth Meyers, one of the hosts his complaint was no doubt directed towards
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 452079C900000578-4958356-image-a-46_1507403037481

Jim Jeffries soon offered his input, replying to the president with his own tweet
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 452079CE00000578-4958356-image-a-47_1507403041113

Kimmel also fired back and urged the president to quit the presidency 
This week, their ordinarily jibing segments took a more serious tone in the wake of the Las Vegas massacre. 
Kimmel implored the president and other Republicans to consider tighter gun control in an emotional monologue at the start of his Monday night show. 
Later in the week, he returned to his jovial style to accuse Trump of pushing more 'fake news' than any media outlet. 

RELATED ARTICLES

• Previous

• Next

• The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 450EC0A600000578-0-image-m-17_1507381227145Stephen Curry says NBA anthem protests would be...The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 451C8DBF00000578-0-image-a-39_1507335533376Three board members of Harvey Weinstein's company QUIT ahead...

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 45154E6000000578-4958356-image-m-19_1507383980583

+5

Meyers (above on his show on Thursday) has been relentless in his ridicule of the president 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 450B61D300000578-4958356-image-a-26_1507384188478

+5

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 44F1949200000578-4958356-image-m-25_1507384180585

+5

Jimmy Kimmel and Stephen Colbert have focused  much of their material in the past year on the president 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4502912A00000578-4958356-image-a-40_1507384788958

+5

Comedians feasted on Trump's visit to Puerto Rico this week and laughed at his efforts to mingle with victims. He is pictured tossing paper towels into crowds at a relief center in San Juan 

The hosts feasted on Trump's visit to disaster-struck Puerto Rico on Tuesday, paying particular attention to his comment that the island's desperate need for emergency resources had 'thrown the budget a little out of whack'. 
Jimmy Kimmel laid into the comment, telling his studio audience: 'He really puts the a** in compassion, doesn't he?' 
Jim Jeffries echoed his criticism. 
'Isn’t the first rule of budgeting that you put money aside for a rainy day? 
'There hasn’t been a rainier day! And "throwing the budget out of whack"? That’s like going to a funeral and saying in the eulogy, "Well, this has ruined my Sunday. I’ve got grave mud on my shoes — thanks, Granddad,'" he said. 
Stephen Colbert picked up on his later remark to one victim who he told to 'have a good time'. 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 451F3B1200000578-4958356-image-a-35_1507384365298

Later, the president turned his attention to the media and accused NBC of being 'knowingly inaccurate'
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 451F3B1600000578-4958356-image-a-36_1507384366820

He made brief mention to his plans for Obamacare and informed followers that he'd called Dem. Sen. Chuck Schumer on Friday to discuss it
'You’re in a disaster site, you’re not working the floor at your casino! "You guys having fun here? Listen, I’m gonna comp you half a gallon of drinking water. Enjoy your hurricane, everybody, don’t forget to tip your FEMA worker!"' he joked. 
Trump has been relentlessly teased by the comedians since he took office. 
Their endless mocking is rivaled only by the cutting ridicule of Saturday Night Live stars for whom the president reserves a special depth of contempt. 
On Saturday, after complaining about how he is depicted on television, Trump bounced immediately on to talk of his healthcare plans.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 451B8AA900000578-4958356-Trump_above_at_the_White_House_on_Friday_is_spending_the_weekend-a-38_1507384423478

+5

Trump (above at the White House on Friday) is spending the weekend in Washington DC but will visit North Carolina for a dinner on Saturday night 
'I called Chuck Schumer yesterday to see if the Dems want to do a great HealthCare Bill. ObamaCare is badly broken, big premiums. Who knows!' he said. 
Earlier, he relished in a report by the Washington Post on his campaign contributions. 
'Can't believe I finally got a good story in the Washington Post. It discusses the enthusiasm of "Trump" voters through campaign contributions. 
'The RNC is taking in far more $'s than the Dems, and much of it by my wonderful small donors. I am working hard for them!' he said.   
At 9.30am, he turned his attention to NBC. 
'@NBCNews is so knowingly inaccurate with their reporting. The good news is that the PEOPLE get it, which is really all that matters! Not #1' he said. 
The president will spend most of Saturday in Washington DC before traveling to North Carolina to meet with Republican supporters for a round table discussion and dinner. 
He will return to Washington at around 10.30pm and spend the night there. No events are scheduled for Sunday.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 07 Oct 2017, 22:00

Maybe if Trump would stop handing late night hosts volumes of material for them to use to ridicule him with they could stop making him the butt of all their jokes.  He is the most notable asshole in the country and these comedians never had it so good.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 07 Oct 2017, 22:27

We didn't hear him complaining when he was all over ALL the media, ALL the time, 24/7 during the run-up to the election to the exclusion of almost everyone else. Senile old fart needs to shut up and go home! (Only not to DC or NY!) Maybe he can go hole up in Florida with the rest of the giant cockroaches.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sun 08 Oct 2017, 02:21

I would only add that I think all guns should be manufactured with a gps locator and it should be registered with law enforcement.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a tiny GPS chip in bullets?

And by "registered," I mean a centralized database that is accessed by DHS, FBI, ATF, and local law enforcement agencies. No registration card, no gun. Gun without a record of sale, at least two people go to prison. No fine. Prison.

Also think anyone who makes it onto the domestic terror watch list because of guns and/or ammunition should be subject to notification of their employer.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 08 Oct 2017, 03:02

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4959012/Trump-says-one-thing-work-North-Korea.html

[size=34]Trump threatens military action on North Korea: President dismisses diplomacy and says 'only one thing will work' in tweet storm[/size]

• President Donald Trump on Saturday said 'only one thing will work' when it comes to North Korea

• Trump repeated criticisms of past administrations that failed to prevent North Korea from developing nuclear weapons

• 'Sorry, but only one thing will work!' Trump tweeted on Saturday

• The president has previously said the United States would destroy North Korea if necessary to protect itself and its allies 

• He told reporters Thursday night that a jovial photo-op with top military leaders could represent 'the calm before the storm'

• Asked what would work to constrain North Korea on Saturday evening, Trump said, 'Well, you'll figure that out pretty soon' 

By FRANCESCA CHAMBERS, WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENT FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 16:00 EDT, 7 October 2017 | UPDATED: 21:19 EDT, 7 October 2017

President Donald Trump appeared to inch closer to war with North Korea on Saturday, tweeting that 'only one thing will work' when it comes to dealing with Kim Jong-un's regime.
'Presidents and their administrations have been talking to North Korea for 25 years, agreements made and massive amounts of money paid,' Trump said. 'Hasn't worked, agreements violated before the ink was dry, making fools of U.S. negotiators. Sorry, but only one thing will work!'
The president declined later to tell reporters what he meant by his observation on Thursday evening during a photo op with military leaders and their spouses that they might be experiencing 'the calm before the storm.'
Asked what would constrain North Korea a moment later, Trump said, 'Well, you'll figure that out pretty soon.'
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4521CCCE00000578-4959012-image-a-1_1507417909526

+3

President Donald Trump appeared to inch closer to war with North Korea on Saturday, tweeting that 'only one thing will work' when it comes to dealing with Kim Jong-un's regime 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4521B1BF00000578-4959012-image-a-4_1507417951444

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4521B1C300000578-4959012-image-a-5_1507417965421

[size=10][size=18]Trump questioned on meaning behind recent comments on North Korea

[/size][/size]
FBI confident North Korea was behind cyber hack on …

As the president was wooing Republican Party donors on Saturday evening in North Carolina, an interview he taped with Mike Huckabee, the former governor of Arkansas and an opponent of Trump's in last year's presidential primary, was airing on Trinity Broadcasting Network.
Trump called Kim 'Little Rocket Man' in the conversation and reiterated his frustration with previous U.S. presidents, who he said left him 'a mess' in North Korea and foreign policy other arenas.
He smacked former Democratic Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama for their treatment of the present leader's father, Kim Jong-il, 'cause it's the same thing.'
The North Korean leaders have the 'same attitude, Trump said, although, 'I think this one's the worst of the group.' 

RELATED ARTICLES

• Previous

• Next

• The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 451BD05900000578-0-image-m-13_1507321689346White House plays coy about 'calm before the storm'...The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4520C3D400000578-0-image-a-21_1507400807269Don Jr. dares Oscars host Jimmy Kimmel to speak out against...

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Trump sat down for the interview with Huckabee, father to the president's press secretary, on Thursday. It aired during the first episode of the Republican's new television show.
The interview occurred hours before Trump said at a jovial photo-op with military brass that the gathering could represent 'the calm before the storm.'
Friday afternoon, during an event with American manufacturers, Trump was pressed to explain what he meant. 
'You'll find out,' he said, winking. On Saturday evening, the president insisted there was 'nothing to clarify' as he left the White House on his way to Greensboro for a Republican National Committee fundraiser.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4515399C00000578-4959012-image-a-6_1507417985526

+3

The president has previously said the United States would destroy North Korea if necessary to protect itself and its allies. He has also derisively referred to North Korean ruler Kim Jong-un as 'Little Rocket Man.' Kim is seen in the above file photo taken on September 29

[size=18]Trump refers to military dinner as the 'calm before the storm'

[/size]

At a White House press briefing on Friday Trump spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders insisted, 'You'll have to wait and see.'
Sanders said that while Trump's words are vague, he's not trying to sow confusion.
'I wouldn't say necessarily that he's trying to throw people off, but he's not trying to broadcast or telegraph his exact actions,' she said. 
'I think we've seen what a failure it is when an administration does that.'
Sanders cautioned that Trump 'certainly doesn't want to lay out his game plan for our enemies.'
But she also refused to say which to which enemy the president had issued his cryptic warning.
'We've got a lot of bad actors in the world: North Korea, Iran, there's several examples there,' she said, adding that 'I haven't been specific about anything.'
Before Trump created a national 'calm before the storm' storm, he had been in discussion with top defense officials about the threat from North Korea and how to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.
'In North Korea, our goal is denuclearization,' he said.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 451539A700000578-4959012-image-a-7_1507418074523

+3

The president on Thursday also had tough words for Iran, saying the country had not lived up to the spirit of an agreement forged with world powers to curb its nuclear program. Iranian President Hassan Rouhani is seen in the above file photo
'We cannot allow this dictatorship to threaten our nation or our allies with unimaginable loss of life. We will do what we must do to prevent that from happening. And it will be done, if necessary, believe me.'
During his speech to the United Nations General Assembly last month, Trump said the United States would 'totally destroy' North Korea if needed to defend itself or US allies.
The president on Thursday also had tough words for Iran, saying the country had not lived up to the spirit of an agreement forged with world powers to curb its nuclear program.
A senior administration official said on Thursday that Trump was expected to announce soon he would decertify the landmark agreement.
Trump has filled top posts within his administration with military generals, including his chief of staff, retired General John Kelly, and national security adviser, Lieutenant General H.R. McMaster.
McMaster, who normally dresses in civilian clothes at the White House, wore his uniform for the meeting.
Without being specific, Trump pressed the leaders to be faster at providing him with 'military options' when needed.
'Moving forward, I also expect you to provide me with a broad range of military options, when needed, at a much faster pace.
'I know that government bureaucracy is slow, but I am depending on you to overcome the obstacles of bureaucracy,' he said during their cabinet room meeting.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sun 08 Oct 2017, 13:06

And by "registered," I mean a centralized database that is accessed by DHS, FBI, ATF, and local law enforcement agencies. No registration card, no gun. Gun without a record of sale, at least two people go to prison. No fine. Prison.

Also think anyone who makes it onto the domestic terror watch list because of guns and/or ammunition should be subject to notification of their employer.[/quote]

Lizzy,
that's exactly how it's handled in Germany - and it DOES work. And people who are allowed to have weapons (because they shoot as a sport, hunt or collect guns), have to keep them unloaded in a locked cupboard and have to keep the ammo seperately. But these laws on arms were of course tightened after mass shootings when former pupils shot others at school, usually with weapons their fathers kept unprotected at home.

Last year a 16 year old boy shot several youngsters at a McDonalds in Munich, and he had bought the guns illegally in the darknet. The seller was convicted to prison just recently - which was the first time a trader was convicted that hard because he had sold deathly guns illegally. He had tried to defend himself saying that he hadn't sold him the guns if he had known he was going to shoot others with them.

By the way: I recently read an article about Australia. They had had a similar gun law as you had in the States, based on the same arguments. Until in 1996, somebody shot 35 people in a tasmanian cafe with a semi-automatic gun. After that, Australian's conservative prime minister banned semi-automatic guns within ten days! They also invested hundreds of millions of dollar in buying weapons from their owners to reduce the number if guns which already existed in private households. Who now wants to buy a gun or a pistol in Australia, has to prove he knows how to handle it and has to pass a safety training. And has to say why he needs it, saying 'I feel unsafe and need it to protect myself', isn't enough. The number of people who were shot, has been halved since then.
I can imagine that this would work in the States as well - if politicians were willing to pass a law...

carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 08 Oct 2017, 13:35

Exactly the same here - with yearly inspections and renewal of licences

It only takes one dreadful incident e g Dunblane and the killing of children leaving a school for everything to be further tightened by the government of the day.

There have been a few acid attacks in parts of London by teenagers recently. Theresa May has now banned the sale of the required ingredients

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 08 Oct 2017, 14:47

PAN - You know, if our founding fathers hadn't been so worried about you guys trying to take America back again we probably wouldn't have the 2nd Amendment. So, I guess in a way THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT! Mad

Seriously, though, we really are aware that where gun control is concerned we're living in the dark ages compared to the rest of the civilised world. It isn't that we don't know what to do about it. We do. We have the examples of many other countries to follow. The problem is that too many of our politicians are dependent upon the NRA for support - political and financial - when they run for office. Until we take that money/infuence out of our election process I don't believe we'll see any meaningful change.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 08 Oct 2017, 18:04

As long as we have the Second Amendment that politicians and a fearful section of America take literally nothing of substance will change the current laws.  The most heinous gun crimes have been occurring in this country for years. America doesn't seem to learn from its mistakes.  Other countries are so much smarter.  The example of Australia's move to outlaw semi-automatic weapons is brought up by gun control supporters time and again.  To no avail.  Of course NRA's reach with propaganda and money has been a huge detriment in forwarding any gun control legislation. 

IMO the Second Amendment should be repealed.  Completely. Don't think it will happen in my lifetime.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 08 Oct 2017, 19:05

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4960134/Now-Trump-goes-retiring-Sen-Bob-Corker.html

[size=34]Sen. Bob Corker accuses Trump of turning the White House into an 'adult day care center' after president charges retiring Republican 'begged' for an endorsement and 'didn't have the guts to run' without it[/size]

• President Trump charged Sunday that Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., had asked for his endorsement - and he said 'NO' 

• Trump said Corker 'begged' for an endorsement and asked to be his secretary of state too, which the president declined

• 'Hence, I would fully expect Corker to be a negative voice and stand in the way of our agenda. Didn't have the guts to run!' Trump added

• Corker was one of Trump's first supporters from the U.S. Senate, but has been exceedingly critical of him 

• Last week, Corker suggested Secretaries Rex Tillerson and James Mattis, along with Chief of Staff John Kelly 'help separate our country from chaos' 

• Corker shot back Sunday writing, 'It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning'

By NIKKI SCHWAB, U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 10:55 EDT, 8 October 2017 | UPDATED: 12:51 EDT, 8 October 2017

Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., smacked back at President Trump after the president suggested the senator wasn't running for re-election because the president wouldn't endorse him.
'It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center,' Corker tweeted. 'Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.' 
As he was leaving the White House this morning to spend another day at his Trump National Golf Club in Sterling, Va., the president dashed off three tweets bashing Corker, who has become exceedingly critical of the president. 
'Senator Bob Corker "begged" me to endorse him for re-election in Tennessee. I said "NO" and he dropped out (said he could not win without my endorsement),' Trump wrote.  'He also wanted to be Secretary of State, I said "NO THANKS." He is also largely responsible for the horrendous Iran Deal!'
'Hence, I would fully expect Corker to be a negative voice and stand in the way of our great agenda. Didn't have the guts to run!' the president said.
An early supporter of Trump's in the U.S. Senate, Corker knocked the president this week, hinting that he thought Trump was unstable.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4525696700000578-4960134-image-a-10_1507473053549

+3

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4525695F00000578-4960134-image-m-9_1507473037008

+3

President Trump (left) said on Twitter Sunday that retiring Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn (right), 'begged' him for an endorsement, which he would not give 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4525C86E00000578-4960134-image-a-19_1507476556232

Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., smacked back at the president Sunday morning, saying the White House had 'become an adult day care center' 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4525694F00000578-4960134-image-a-1_1507472705662

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 45256CE800000578-4960134-image-a-3_1507472974527

President Trump alleged that Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., 'begged' him for an endorsement and he said 'NO' 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4524D68100000578-4960134-image-a-6_1507473008335

+3

This week, Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., told reporters that Secretaries Mattis and Tillerson along with Chief of Staff John Kelly 'separate the country from chaos,' a clear dig at President Trump
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 4525726100000578-4960134-image-a-11_1507473077905

Without the Trump stamp of approval, the president suggested Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., 'Didn't have the guts to run' for another term. He'll step down when his term runs out in 2019
'I think Secretary Tillerson, Secretary Mattis and Chief of Staff Kelly are those people that help separate our country from chaos,' Corker said Wednesday. 
Tillerson's future with the administration has been in question after an NBC News report came out that said he had almost resigned in July and called the president a 'moron' at a Pentagon meeting. 
The secretary of state was forced to trot out and make a public comment on the allegations, though didn't deny he had called Trump such a name. 
Beyond just suggesting that the trio of Tillerson, Kelly and Mattis are the adults in the room, Corker seriously questioned Trump's job performance in the aftermath of the racial violence in Charlottesville, in which Trump had faulted 'both sides' as white supremacists and counter-protesters tussled in the Virginia town. 

RELATED ARTICLES

'The President has not yet been able to demonstrate the stability nor some of the competence that he needs to demonstrate in order to be successful,' Corker said in August. 
CNN reported that Trump and Corker had made up since then and the president wanted him to run again.  
But 11 days ago, the Tennessee Republican announced his retirement. 
CNN reported Sunday that Trump was ready to give Corker his endorsement that day.
'The president called the senator early last week and asked him to reconsider his decision not to seek re-election and reaffirmed that he would have endorsed him, as he has said many times,' a source said. 
Before Trump's tweets Sunday, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders had already taken on Corker for his 'chaos' remark.   
'I think the president is the one that's keeping the world from chaos,' she said at the press briefing Friday.   
'He has an incredible team around him that's helping him lead that effort,' she went on. 'He's had tremendous accomplishments on the international stage by working with allies and confronting enemies.' 
'We're gonna continue doing that – we're gonna continue doing that as a team with the president leading that effort,' Huckabee Sanders added. 

A spokesperson for Corker did not respond to DailyMail.com's request for comment.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 08 Oct 2017, 22:23

It seems that Republicans are only willing to be truthful about Trump when they don't feel threatened any longer ... like not running for another term in Congress Shocked

I don't know why the White House even bothers with press briefings any more.  Sarah Huckabee Sanders tells the same untruths as her predecessor.  Of course if she did tell the truth she would be out of a job in a nano second.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 09 Oct 2017, 20:30

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4963234/EPA-chief-says-administration-roll-climate-plan.html

[size=34]'The war on coal is over' says EPA chief as Trump administration dumps Obama's Clean Power Plan meant to tackle global warming[/size]

• The head of the Environmental Protection Agency said Monday that he will sign a new rule overriding the Clean Power Plan

• The Obama-era effort aimed to limit carbon emissions from coal-fired power plants

• Trump campaigned in West Virginia and Pennsylvania with a promise to deregulate coal mining 

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
PUBLISHED: 11:04 EDT, 9 October 2017 | UPDATED: 13:55 EDT, 9 October 2017

The head of the Environmental Protection Agency said Monday that he will sign a new rule overriding the Clean Power Plan, an Obama-era effort to limit carbon emissions from coal-fired power plants.
'The war on coal is over,' EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt declared in the coal mining state of Kentucky.
For Pruitt, getting rid of the Clean Power Plan will mark the culmination of a long fight he began as the elected attorney general of Oklahoma. Pruitt was among about two-dozen attorney generals who sued to stop President Barack Obama's push to limit carbon emissions.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 Wire-1502453-1507564778-55_634x523

+6

EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt says the Trump administration will abandon the Obama-era clean power plan aimed at reducing global warming
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 44F8765300000578-4963234-image-a-41_1507568347909

+6

Coal-fired power plants emit carbon dioxide, which environmental activists say is responsible for climate change 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 452C134E00000578-4963234-image-a-50_1507569967925

+6

Trump campaigned in West Virginia and Pennsylvania with a promise to deregulate coal mining 
Closely tied to the oil and gas industry in his home state, Pruitt rejects the consensus of scientists that man-man emissions from burning fossil fuels are the primary driver of global climate change. 
President Donald Trump, who appointed Pruitt and shares his skepticism of established climate science, promised to kill the Clean Power Plan during the 2016 campaign as part of his broader pledge to revive the nation's struggling coal mines.
In his order Tuesday, Pruitt is expected to declare that the Obama-era rule exceeded federal law by setting emissions standards that power plants could not reasonably meet.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 452C132E00000578-4963234-image-a-52_1507570044986

+6

Coal is shown being poured into a barge headed for a steel plant in western Pennsylvania; coal mining, while dangerous, dirty work, is still one of the best paying occupations there

[size=10][size=18]Trump dons a coal miner's helmet during a 2016 campaign rally

[/size][/size]

Appearing at an event with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Pruitt said, 'The EPA and no federal agency should ever use its authority to say to you we are going to declare war on any sector of our economy.'
Obama's plan was designed to cut U.S. carbon dioxide emissions to 32 percent below 2005 levels by 2030. 
The rule dictated specific emission targets for states based on power-plant emissions and gave officials broad latitude to decide how to achieve reductions.
The Supreme Court put the plan on hold last year following legal challenges by industry and coal-friendly states.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 44F6069700000578-4963234-image-a-42_1507568360412

+6

Trump's presidency has resuscitated the coal mining industry

[size=18]President Trump signs H.J. Res. 38 deregulating coal mining

[/size]

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 2 413EB82200000578-4585696-image-a-13_1497219202561

+6

This year the first new coal mine to open in 10 years opened its underground shafts in Pennsylvania
Even so, the plan helped drive a recent wave of retirements of coal-fired plants, which also are being squeezed by lower costs for natural gas and renewable power, as well as state mandates promoting energy conservation.
The withdrawal of the Clean Power Plan is the latest in a series of moves by Trump and Pruitt to dismantle Obama's legacy on fighting climate change, including the delay or roll back of rules limiting levels of toxic pollution in smokestack emissions and wastewater discharges from coal-burning power plants.
The president announced earlier this year that he will pull the United States out of the landmark Paris climate agreement. 
Nearly 200 countries have committed to combat global warming by reducing carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases that contribute to global warming.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 09 Oct 2017, 20:52

So when the next hurricane seasons are getting even worse than this one and at the same time drought is raising, you know whom to thank...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 09 Oct 2017, 21:19

So true Carol.  We can thank this idiot Administration for all the harm they are perpetrating on our country.  I blame Trump for everything at this point.  Even when I can't sleep at night.  He has had that effect ... you know?

This latest move in trying to revive the coal industry is backwards thinking at its best. I can only hope that those companies and states which are invested deeply in renewable energies will continue to flourish and prove without a doubt that this was an ill conceived move to bring back coal.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 09 Oct 2017, 22:00

Donna,
when I was a child, I lived just a few miles away from the border between West and East Germany, between NATO and the Warsaw Pact. US Pershing II nuclear weapons were set on our side of the border, Soviet SS 20 on the other side of the border. In the 1970s and 80s I grew up knowing that, if there will ever be a nuclear war, we would be the first ones to be blown up. So when, after 1989, our country was reunited and the Soviet Union split up, I thought that the next generatiins will never have to face this feeling we had. I can't describe what it meant for me to visit the Air and Space Museum in Washington in 1996 and face a Pershing II and an SS 20 standing next to each other, thinking that our politicians have finally realized how dangerous these weapons are and that their use can't be healed, will change our world and our lives forever.
I was wrong thinking everybody has realized that.

We have a big industrial region in the west of Germany, near France, and they had big coal mines since the 1920s. In the 1980s our politicians decided to close down most of these mines because they didn't want to subsidize this pollution anf destruction of our environment anymore. Other industries settled down there, people found new jobs and the air is much cleaner now. My aunt's sister lives there for more than 50 years, and dhe said that they often couldn't open windows or dry the washing outside due to the pollution. Her kids were always ill, everybody had asthma. This all stopped within just a few years after these industries stopped. After 1989, I went to East Germany for the first time (you were just allowed to go there from the GDR government to visit relatives or for business meetings, and my famiky had no relatives there), and everything was unbelievably dirtyand there was a horrible smell everywhere because everybody was heating their homes with coal. There were regions with lots of chemical industries and coal mining as well of course, but no industrial filters. After this had stopped in the 1990s, the air is much better as well. My husband's cousin who had always suffered from asthma as a child, said that that stopped as soon as the pollution stopped.
Fortunately, nature is able to ejuvenate...

But I never thought that I'd have the same fears as 30 years ago.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 10 Oct 2017, 04:23

Carol, what an awful fear to have growing up knowing nuclear weapons were in your midst and a nagging threat on a daily basis. I imagine the South Koreans live with that same fear now.

I read that the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded a few days ago to the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons.  Seems like a timely and inspiring effort this year but hardly realistic.  Maybe the Committee is trying to send our looney President a message.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Tue 10 Oct 2017, 09:10

Donnamarie wrote:Carol, what an awful fear to have growing up knowing nuclear weapons were in your midst and a nagging threat on a daily basis. I imagine the South Koreans live with that same fear now.

I read that the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded a few days ago to the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons.  Seems like a timely and inspiring effort this year but hardly realistic.  Maybe the Committee is trying to send our looney President a message.

Donna,
it was actually quite normal for us, and I grew up with this fear. I guess it's like growing up in a war. My parents were born just before WW II, and they always described their childhood as normal and happy. Their fathers served as soldiers, but since everybody else did as well, it was normal for them. They didn't have to leave their home as many others did (Germany lost a lot of areas to Poland, the Soviet Union and Czech after WW II, and in many other areas in Eastern Europe they had German communities who were hated during the war). And since my parents both grew up on farms, they had to take a lot of families to live with them. And I guess to see those who had lost everything, gives you a humbling feeling...

As soon as I heard that the Nobel Prize Committee announced that the award will be given to this committee, I thought: 'Hey Donald, that's addressed to you!', so I absolutely agree with you.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next