George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important

+10
LizzyNY
annemarie
it's me
/
Katiedot
bgarabedian
Nicky80
melbert
Donnamarie
Tulips
14 posters

Go down

Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important Empty Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important

Post by Tulips Tue 12 May 2015, 00:55

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sorry again. Don't know how to post whole article from mobile device.

Tulips
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important Empty Re: Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important

Post by Donnamarie Tue 12 May 2015, 02:25

Thanks again Tulips for the post.  It is quite obvious that George truly admires and respects his new wife and her work and thinks her work is far more consequential than his.  I hope that Amal appreciates George's craft ... acting, producing, directing and his expansive humanitarian and charitable work.  His life's work is consequential too.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important Empty Re: Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important

Post by melbert Tue 12 May 2015, 04:03

Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife Amal Clooney's Work Is More Important
May 11, 2015, 6:31 PM ET
By CANDACE SMITH and LAUREN EFFRON
Lauren Effron More from Lauren »
Digital Producer

Having a world-famous spouse can be intimidating -- even if you’re George Clooney.
In talking about his upcoming film, “Tomorrowland,” Clooney spoke to “Nightline” about his new wife, Amal Clooney, a British international human rights attorney, and how even discussing each other’s day can turn into an interesting conversation.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Disney
PHOTO: George Clooney is seen in a still from the "Tomorrowland" trailer.

“I was shooting [a movie] in New York … and I come home after wearing a bomb vest all day, and my wife has just come back from Strasbourg where she was in the middle of a trial over the Armenian genocide with the International Court of Appeals and asks me about my day, and I say, ‘yeah, I had a fake bomb,’ and everything she does has actual consequence,” Clooney said.
Clooney and his wife captured the world’s attention last September when they arrived in Venice, Italy, for their star-studded wedding. Paparazzi and fans swarmed around the couple when they took a short motorboat ride along the canals from the Belmond Hotel Cipriani to the Aman Canal Grande Venice resort, where they celebrated their big day.
“We had not told anyone we were getting married but you have to post a thing in the paper,” Clooney said. “And we get in the boats and headed down the Cipriani, down the Grande Canal, and it was just thousands of people and it was crazy... and I thought ‘this is what it’s going be like for the next three days’”
Then Clooney suggested he and his new bride embrace the fervor, saying “I was like, ‘let’s just stand up,’ and we were waving at people.”
But Clooney said he was happy his wedding day was able to bring some happiness to others too.
“It was right in the middle of the Ebola scare and everything else, there was all this bad news, and people were in a good mood for that and it made it fun for all of us,” he said.
“It’s kind of like the theme of this film,” Clooney continued, referring to “Tomorrowland.”
“Tomorrowland” is a movie that defies categorization. Eagerly anticipated yet highly secretive, “Tomorrowland” tells the story of a parallel world, an image of an ideal future from a 1964 perspective, with hovering monorails and leather suits, not the future we’re in now with Twitter, which Clooney said he refuses to use.
“I think that [tweeting] is the dumbest thing a famous actor could do, because there is nothing to gain from it,” Clooney said. “More people won’t go see your movie. If they did then Kim Kardashian would be the biggest movie star in the world. Honestly.”
“For me, the only thing that could happen is bad. Right? I have two drinks, I go home and make a Mother Theresa joke, and I wake up and my career is over,” he joked.
In “Tomorrowland,” Clooney plays Frank Walker, a disillusioned dreamer in what director Brad Bird describes as a sci-fi action, adventure road, movie fable made by the Walt Disney Co., the parent company of ABC News. Clooney stars alongside 12-year-old Raffey Cassidy, who plays a kind of dark Disney character called Athena.
“I grew up on Walt Disney produced films, when he was alive, and there was darkness, parts of ‘Pinocchio’ that was scary… Captain Nemo is haunted guy,” Bird said. “Disney was in love with storytelling, even his amusement park, that had a big impact, that’s what I called upon.”
Country music star Tim McGraw plays the father of Britt Robertson, an optimistic dreamer recruited to save Earth. Robertson told “Nightline” that she very much wanted this role.
“I sent in tapes, audition tapes. They brought me in for the casting director, then I auditioned for Brad and I went back in for the casting director, I went back in for Brad, he didn’t remember me at all,” Robertson said, laughing.
“Tomorrowland” hits theaters nationwide on Friday, May 22.
ABC News' Nick Watt contributed to this report
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Tue 12 May 2015, 06:22

Thanks tulips for the find and Melbert for copying Thumbs up!

I agree Donnamarie. He should not compare himself to his wife it doesn't Sound right. His work is important too Very Happy
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by bgarabedian Tue 12 May 2015, 07:46

george work is very important. he has meaning and makes people laugh and enjoy some fun times out of their everyday schedule. He should not put himself down and lower himself to her. He is a well known star and well liked in the movie industry. Ever since he got married he puts himself lower than Amal and continually knocks himself how important she is and he is just a star. Well, George you are important and not just a star a special human being who has won many awards, and achieved so much in all these years as a major star and You Are Imortant to all your fans and people who love you. just know you are a special and worthy human being. bg

bgarabedian
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 12 May 2015, 08:31

Weeeeeeeeeell, define 'important'. George's job is an actor. In the scale of things, there are a lot of professions that are more worthy than acting: teaching, nursing, policing to name but a few.

George as a person has done wonderful things and I admire his efforts to make the world a better place, but that's got nothing to do with his day job.

As far as jobs go, someone who legally tries to change the world for the better (which is what HE says his wife is doing - not me!) trumps someone who plays dress-up in front of a camera for a living.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by / Tue 12 May 2015, 09:47

I agree, Katiedot. George as an actor only provides entertainment for others who go and watch movies. At the best a movie can raise some sort of awareness for a more serious issue but I don't think it's an important job. So I would say that Amal's job is more important than George's because she helps people with a problem and tries to solve it for them in the best possible way.

/

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 12 May 2015, 11:16

relaxing moments are important to super busy ppl
movies can do that
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 12 May 2015, 11:21

I don't think he believes his job is unimportant , but what his wife does involves peoples lives . In the scheme of things yes to a point what she does has more weight than what he does.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 12 May 2015, 12:25

Measure for measure yes Amal's work is more important.  She directly defends people's human and civil rights.  My point is that George's work, especially his charitable and humanitarian efforts are important.  His work with NOOW and the Enough project makes a difference, tho on a much smaller scale.  Making films maybe can't compare to defending the public's rights in a court of law.  But George is more than an actor.  And I do think George tries to make small important films not just to entertain but to enlighten. i just don't want to brush aside all that George does because it's not on the same scale as Amal's work. I just hope Amal appreciate's George's work as much as he glowingly supports hers'.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 12 May 2015, 13:16

There is no reason to think she doesn't. I think he is talking in terms of film making . His charity involvement is probably different to him not his profession but something he does because he believes in it and is the right thing to do.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 12 May 2015, 13:53

Donnamarie wrote:. i just don't want to brush aside all that George does because it's not on the same scale as Amal's work.
I don't think anyone does. I don't think saying that Amal's work is more important in any way invalidates George's work and what he's achieved. He's just pointing out the obvious and putting things into perspective: if he has a bad day at work, all that happens is the film company loses money in reshoots; if Amal has a bad day at work, someone could end up in prison (or not in prison, depending) or worse.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 12 May 2015, 14:12

This argument makes me furious, and not just because it's about G&A. To me a person's work has value if it has a positive effect on others. In that respect I think George is much more successful than Amal can ever be. The effects of his work are immediate and wide reaching. (I'm speaking only of his film making efforts here - not his political or humanitarian work.) Making people think, giving them an escape from their daily grind, bringing them joy is no small feat.

What Amal does is important, too, but at the level at which she works and considering the people she represents, does it honestly have an effect on people's lives (other than her clients)?

Laws have to be followed to be effective and it seems that in much of the world that isn't what's happening. I think it will be the efforts of ordinary people that will settle many of the disputes raging around the world, and they won't need lawyers to do it - just many people acting together for the greater good.

Bottom line: If you had to choose either a world with entertainers but without lawyers - or - a world with lawyers but without entertainers - which would you choose? For me the choice would be easy!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 12 May 2015, 14:45

I think everyone here makes good points.  I don't think either George or Amal's work should be diminished in any way.  They both do substantial and worthwhile work. 
And people generally benefit in different ways from what they do in their respective careers.  

My only point initially here was to hypothetically say to 
George your work is important too.  George you say all the time how important Amal's work is and I'm saying to you ... yours is too. In a different way.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Tue 12 May 2015, 15:24

What until now has made George for Darfur and for Sudan is a great thing and he is not an advocate for human rights, has not been paid to do so but has invested most of its gains to try to defend and save the life to the poor and weak and Amal, excuse the brutality but defended until now rich people accused of genocide or that Assange does not seem a saint, he is now in charge of defending the Armenian genocide but is defending people who unfortunately is already dead! Better activity or that of George Amal? I have not the slightest doubt of those who have left a positive mark in the world!
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Hebe Tue 12 May 2015, 19:09

Comparing the work of an actor with that of a barrister, I think, is  a bit like comparing an avocado with a mango or whatever. They are both very different, both have value but to some extent whichever you value more can depend on your personal taste/point of view.

I understand that some people question Amal's work defending some seemingly nefarious characters. The way I understand it it's not about 'winning' a case by getting someone freed but by ensuring that the accused has a fair trial and that their human rights are respected. You may think that some of those people do not deserve their rights to be considered when they may be accused of vile practices. What would happen if their human rights weren't respected? It is very likely that those in authority in other questionable regimes would see this as a red light for them to disregard the human rights of prisoners in their countries. They'd say, 'Well, if you who are in the International Courts who tell us what we can and can't do are able to try prisoners without representation/fair treatment/ignoring their rights then we will not have to respect human rights either'. It could be that they would believe they could go ahead to mete out inhumane treatment to prisoners (who may or may not be innocent) undeterred. If the International Courts ensure that human rights are observed with all accused then they would be able continue to question those regimes that don't. I believe this is important for all of us throughout the world.
I therefore respect Amal's work and the cases she works on. I think this shows that she does indeed take human rights extremely seriously.

As for George's work, I believe it has great merit too. He has been involved in some films that have informed and highlighted important issues and enabled us to considered these issues in an understandable way. Some films are entertaining, may make us laugh or enable us to to become involved in life in another dimension and forget about our everyday lives which can be stressful and pressured. 

Being very successful and famous has enabled George to to some very valuable work as others have mentioned. He has done some amazing things and used his fame to the greater good. He could have simply enjoyed a life of luxury and privilege, but that is not George, he does a great deal for others.

Hebe

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 12 May 2015, 19:11

I agree
totally

he is generous in his I love you
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 12 May 2015, 20:34

From what I've read, George isn't exactly comparing 
Amal's work with his and saying her work is more 
important. 
That idea has come from the misleading headline IMO.

I believe that everyone who has a job, and does it consistently well, is important.
Sorry if that sounds a bit pompous, I don't mean it to be !
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Tue 12 May 2015, 20:38

Annemarie, I think it was you who posted the YouTube Interview link? I think I did a little mistake. Embarassed Embarassed  I wanted to add the Video in your post but i think by mistake i deleted your post. I looked everywhere and I couldn't find it. So I guess i really did it. REALLY SORRY.

Here it is again

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 12 May 2015, 22:01

Nicky80 wrote:Annemarie, I think it was you who posted the YouTube Interview link? I think I did a little mistake. Embarassed Embarassed  I wanted to add the Video in your post but i think by mistake i deleted your post. I looked everywhere and I couldn't find it. So I guess i really did it. REALLY SORRY.

Here it is again

Nicky I think that was me.  I posted the video earlier today but then  realized that it was already posted in the link at the beginning of this thread. I thought I deleted it.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Tue 12 May 2015, 22:04

ah sorry ok it was you. I guess you deleted it when I wanted to edit it. And I thought I was gonna crazy. Thanks anyway Thumbs up! always good to post Videos from the links. Thanks.
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 12 May 2015, 22:10

Nicky sorry for the confusion. But it is a good video so don't mind watching it again ... and again ... and again:lol:
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hebe Tue 12 May 2015, 23:10

That's a great video, thanks for sharing it. Near the beginning I think George and Amal were referred to as Geomal! I hope that doesn't catch on.

The more I see clips from Tomorrowland  the more I want to see it.

Hebe

Back to top Go down

Why George Clooney Thinks His Wife's Work is More Important Empty George Clooney Talks 'Tomorrowland,' Life with Amal

Post by Sevens Thu 04 Jun 2015, 10:52

Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 04 Jun 2015, 19:51

merged thread
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down