George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Does Amal Know? George Clooney's divorce papers from Talia Balsam EmptyToday at 10:30 by party animal - not!

»  George filming new film in UK
Does Amal Know? George Clooney's divorce papers from Talia Balsam EmptyYesterday at 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Does Amal Know? George Clooney's divorce papers from Talia Balsam EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Does Amal Know? George Clooney's divorce papers from Talia Balsam EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Does Amal Know? George Clooney's divorce papers from Talia Balsam EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Does Amal Know? George Clooney's divorce papers from Talia Balsam EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Does Amal Know? George Clooney's divorce papers from Talia Balsam EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Does Amal Know? George Clooney's divorce papers from Talia Balsam EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Does Amal Know? George Clooney's divorce papers from Talia Balsam EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Does Amal Know? George Clooney's divorce papers from Talia Balsam

+4
fava
Katiedot
Sevens
LizzyNY
8 posters

Go down

Does Amal Know? George Clooney's divorce papers from Talia Balsam Empty Does Amal Know? George Clooney's divorce papers from Talia Balsam

Post by LizzyNY Wed 27 Aug 2014, 13:29

Radaronline.com has an article about George's divorce from Talia Balsam. There's a link to the actual divorce papers (all 32 pages - even if I could post this, I wouldn't!). It makes interesting reading. Also interesting, the divorce became final on September 21, l993. Seems to be a significant month in his life.

Last edited by Katiedot on Wed 27 Aug 2014, 15:38; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updated thread title)
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Does Amal Know? George Clooney's divorce papers from Talia Balsam Empty Re: Does Amal Know? George Clooney's divorce papers from Talia Balsam

Post by Sevens Wed 27 Aug 2014, 14:00

Here's the link

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Long considered Hollywood’s most eligible bachelor, George Clooney has technically been a divorcé ever since his 1993 split from actress wife Talia Balsam. Now, as Clooney prepares to marry London lawyer Amal Alammudin, only RadarOnline.com has a look at what she could expect if she and Clooney don’t work out: According to court documents, his split from Balsam was a contentious one, with “disputed claims” and a six-figure settlement.

Balsam and Clooney wed in Vegas on December 15, 1989 before he filed for divorce on October 12, 1992, listing the date of separation as late August 1991. “I probably, definitely wasn’t someone who should have been married at that point,” he’s said. “I just don’t feel like I gave Talia a fair shot.”

But despite their short time together as husband and wife, the divorce would drag on for more nearly a year due to “disputed claims,” finally wrapping up on September 21, 1993.

What took so long? According to the documents, the court found that Clooney and Balsam “acknowledged that disputed claims … existed as to what constitutes their community, quasi-community property, and separate property.”

“Each of the parties has made conflicting claims regarding the value of said community property,” the documents stated, and they even went so far as to hire a professional to come in to “appraise the community separate and property interests,” before deciding just to do it themselves.

And it wasn’t as if they had a multi-million-dollar empire to divide: The struggling artists haggled over everything from their Saab to their mattress box spring.

According to the documents, Clooney walked away with a number of bank accounts, a single family residence, a 1988 Saab, 1983 Harley Davidson, 1959 Corvette and a 1991 motor home. He also got a baby grand piano.

Balsam’s haul included one queen size bed, box spring and mattress, and a 1988 Dodge.

On top of that, Clooney gave her a $95,000 lump sum upon the execution of the judgment, and $50,000 “as a reimbursement of her separate property contribution” to their home.

She waived her right to spousal support.

Meanwhile, Clooney and Alamuddin are expected to marry in a matter of weeks at his Italian villa on Lake Como, as Radar has reported. There’s no word on whether the couple has opted for a pre-nup.

Last edited by Katiedot on Wed 27 Aug 2014, 15:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text to post (please post the whole story, not just links))
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Does Amal Know? George Clooney's divorce papers from Talia Balsam Empty Re: Does Amal Know? George Clooney's divorce papers from Talia Balsam

Post by Katiedot Wed 27 Aug 2014, 15:28

Does Amal know? What a silly question!  We all know George is divorced so I'm sure she does!  Interesting that it was George who started the divorce.  Somehow I'd always assumed it was Talia.

There's absolutely nothing scandalous about this at all! Not sure why Radar is making such a song and dance about it. George filed for divorce on grounds of irreconcilable differences. The only possibly slightly unusual thing about it is that both parties agreed not to request spousal support (alimony or palimony) and that the man kept the home and the woman got the dog. But other than that?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Wed 27 Aug 2014, 15:46

Too true Katie.  The fact that a divorcing couple fought about property is nothing out of the ordinary.  I have to assume they had a mortgage on the house--otherwise it does not seem very fair that she only got  $50,000.

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 27 Aug 2014, 17:11

Some witty comments on Radar about it

'Oh no. You're not dredging up a 21 year old divorce to create a story are you?' etc

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Picachu Wed 27 Aug 2014, 17:41

must be a slow news day for them
Picachu
Picachu
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Wed 27 Aug 2014, 18:43

but then Talia did not put on the pavement George! she took only a few dollars
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 27 Aug 2014, 20:40

If you read through the document, she comes out of it with around $100,000 in all plus whatever property she took from the home (and the dog). I guess at that point in their careers it seemed a fair settlement.

I think Radaronline's point to Amal might have been that George wasn't afraid to walk away when the marriage wasn't working, and that he made sure he came out of it in good financial shape. A warning? I doubt that she needs their advice.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Thu 28 Aug 2014, 10:41

I think George operates a very tight debit and credit scheme with the whole of his life. He is an operator.  You don't get to the top of being Mr Nice guy, unless you remember and call in, and people are obliged to oblige.
Whatever you think you are getting for nothing, think again.  He is Taurus they love their "things" and never let go of them without a fight.

JMO

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down