George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Talia Balsam - wife 1989 - 1992 EmptyToday at 01:05 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Talia Balsam - wife 1989 - 1992 EmptyToday at 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Talia Balsam - wife 1989 - 1992 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Talia Balsam - wife 1989 - 1992 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Talia Balsam - wife 1989 - 1992 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Talia Balsam - wife 1989 - 1992 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Talia Balsam - wife 1989 - 1992 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Talia Balsam - wife 1989 - 1992 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Talia Balsam - wife 1989 - 1992 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Talia Balsam - wife 1989 - 1992

+33
amaretti
silly girl
Nicky80
theminis
OofOof
Mazy
davidarochelle
Joanna
Vi
pattygirl
lelacorb
LornaDoone
Maggy
Astras
MM
bellybaby
watching
sisieq
janieb
Stonehenge who?
it's me
Clooney
playfuldeb
Dexterdidit
Atalante
Merlin
sandwiches
fluffy
lucy
cindigirl
melbert
ManhattanMaven
Katiedot
37 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Talia Balsam - wife 1989 - 1992 Empty Talia Balsam - wife 1989 - 1992

Post by Katiedot Mon 06 Dec 2010, 16:39

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
hehehehe- another GREAT hair shot, George!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Katiedot on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 10:22; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added another pic)
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Talia Balsam - wife 1989 - 1992 Empty Re: Talia Balsam - wife 1989 - 1992

Post by ManhattanMaven Mon 06 Dec 2010, 19:34

I'm sorry but he was NOT a pretty picture during this period! HEINOUS neckware and horrendous long hair....ROFL! GOD...cutting his hair was the best thing he EVER did! Rolling Eyes

ManhattanMaven
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 06 Dec 2010, 21:21

I'm not sure Maven. I love running my fingers through some fine hair!
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Mon 06 Dec 2010, 21:21

Hi Maven, you are so right about that.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Tue 14 Dec 2010, 16:39

The man did have alot of hair back in the day. Thanks Waldo!
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Fri 04 Mar 2011, 14:45

OMG, he's so much better looking now. Must be the hair. He's the only man I know of who looks better with age.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffy Fri 04 Mar 2011, 17:01

I totally agree cindigirl, hair like that shouldn't be allowed! Looks much better with it a bit longer on top. His dad Nick has a good head of hair, so at least Gee won't go bald!
fluffy
fluffy
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Fri 04 Mar 2011, 17:31

Hi fluffy, might be the "touch of grey" on his head. IMO no one has a right to be as handsome as he is!
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by sandwiches Fri 04 Mar 2011, 17:43

Gotta love the mullet. Laughing
sandwiches
sandwiches
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri 04 Mar 2011, 18:50

I LOVE young George...maybe because I was young at that time too LOL...
Merlin
Merlin
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Fri 04 Mar 2011, 19:03

Tsss, a viking in a suit. Laughing out loud
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Fri 04 Mar 2011, 23:00

I agree with Maven. I prefer it short, back in the day I didn't even notice George. But once he fixed his hair and got a little grey he really took off! Always amused me in how much George and Thalia actually looked alike, same sort of hair, dark eyes....
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Sat 05 Mar 2011, 02:32

Once he cut his hair he began to look like a man!
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Wed 16 Mar 2011, 05:56

I think his face matured with age, getting better as he got older. I dont think it's the hair so much. See for yourself, put your hand over the hair and look at his face only. There is a lot of sarcasm in his youthful look
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Wed 16 Mar 2011, 12:19

Your right his face did mature and became handsome, but thinning out that do of his helped his look. Thanks-Waldo you big tall drink!
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 25 Jun 2011, 07:46

This was posted by Clooney elsewhere on the forum (but no link to the original source)

No wonder George Clooney has become a confirmed bachelor -- his only marriage didn't last as long as the divorce wrangling!

Clooney wed actor Martin Balsam's daughter Talia on Dec. 15, 1989, and they separated 20 months later. But it took 25 months before the divorce decree became final in September 1993.

The couple fought long and hard in court over their community property -- including George's prize possession, a potbellied pig named Max.

"George wound up getting Max although Talia had become very fond of him," Talia's uncle, actor Dick Van Patten, told The ENQUIRER. "They fought over that -- it was like a child custody battle!

"George didn't treat Talia badly during the marriage. I remember he took her to Vegas for their honeymoon. But after they were wed he just decided, 'I guess I shouldn't have gotten married. I didn't know what this marriage business was like.'

"It was too confining for him."

At the time of the marriage, George, now 40, was a struggling actor who was "pursuing stardom with a vengeance, but Talia wanted a more traditional marriage so she was not at all that supportive," a close friend revealed.

"Over the course of their marriage, they continued to grow apart because they could not find a compromise. Eventually, George started getting better and better roles and people started to really notice him -- especially women.

"George and Talia began arguing more often because he wasn't home a lot, so they finally decided it would be best for both of them if they divorced.

"That's when things got really ugly. George was furious when Talia -- whose family had money -- insisted she get all the furniture and other household goods because as a struggling actor, it took him a long time to acquire those things."

In the end, Clooney got a baby grand piano, a 1959 Corvette, a 1983 Harley, a l988 Saab and a 1991 motor home, plus the money in four bank accounts, interests in partnerships, stocks and a Studio City house.

Talia got $95,000 in cash from George, her jewelry, some bank accounts and a 1988 Dodge.

Each was allowed to keep whatever "furniture, furnishings, artwork, antiques, fixtures, personal mementos, household equipment and appliances, crystal, china, flatware and linens currently in (their) possession," according to court papers.

Said the friend: "That whole experience didn't turn George off women, but it did turn him off to getting married again."

Even while he was married, George always acted very much like a single guy, say sources.

"I had no idea there was a Mrs. Clooney," said a waitress at Du-Par's restaurant, where Clooney was a fixture. "Nobody did.

"He was in here all the time with a group of buddies. He was the quintessential single guy."

And a former neighbor in Studio City disclosed: "We all remember the pig, but most people had no idea George was married.

"Some days he kept the pig in the yard outside. Some neighbors complained it smelled. It never bothered me. It just snorted at night sometimes.

"But as for his wife -- I never saw her. Then she was gone and he lived there with a few buddies."

Talia married actor John Slattery in 1998, and they live happily in New York City.

Said a New York pal: "Talia's husband is gorgeous, he makes her laugh. They're really connected. So I'd say she's done pretty well since George. I don't think she's crying over him at all."
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Clooney Sat 25 Jun 2011, 09:26

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

*coughs*
Clooney
Clooney
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 25 Jun 2011, 10:00

Ah. Nuff said.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 25 Jun 2011, 14:08

Clooney wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

*coughs*

to me appears The content of this website is not available in your area.
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehenge who? Sat 25 Jun 2011, 14:27

Please could someone copy and paste the content here? Link's not available across the ocean Smash computer

Stonehenge who?
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by Clooney Sat 25 Jun 2011, 15:26

It is pasted. I just posted the link! Katie pasted the info!
Clooney
Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehenge who? Sat 25 Jun 2011, 16:24

Ahhh thanks, Clooney! Hello!

Stonehenge who?
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Jun 2011, 05:08

THE ONE AND ONLY MRS CLOONEY
Saturday June 25,2011
By Peter Sheridan in Los Angeles AS George Clooney finishes with his latest girlfriend we tell the story behind the woman who did become the wife of the world’s most fanciable man.

You can’t say she wasn’t warned. George Clooney has always been very clear on the subject: he doesn’t want to get married.

But Elisabetta Canalis thought she would be the one to change his mind and Clooney isn’t exactly hard on the eyes with his Cary Grant charm, Rat Pack swagger and elegant insouciance.

After two years of jet-setting across the globe, watching sunrises from his villa in Lake Como and sipping sunset cocktails at his Los Angeles hilltop estate the stunning 32-year-old Italian TV presenter must have thought she had hooked the Oscarwinning star of such films as Batman & Robin, Ocean’s Eleven, Syriana and Up In The Air.

“In the future I will be married,” she said only recently, “but for the time being I am happy as I am.”

No longer. Canalis and Clooney split this week, issuing a joint statement confirming her worst nightmare: “We are not together any more. It’s very difficult and very personal.”

Canalis joins the long list of broken hearts that Clooney, who turned 50 last month, has left in his wake.

But for the actor the break-up highlights a private anguish that has haunted him for half his life: the breakdown of his first and only marriage – a failure he vowed would be his last.

Behind that shattered marriage lay a secret fear that friends believe played a part in his split with Canalis: Clooney’s determination never to become a father, terrified that he might fail his children.

“I don’t want to be the guy who comes in and does it half-assed, the way I’ve done many things in my life,” he says of parenthood.

“The minute something is tremendously difficult I lose some sort of interest. And I don’t ever want to have the responsibility of messing somebody up like that.”

The key to understanding George Clooney and his latest break-up lies with the only woman to have snared the world’s most lusted after man: actress Talia Balsam.

Balsam, 52, is a fine-boned ravenhaired beauty now married to Jon Slattery, who stars in TV hit Mad Men in which she also appears as his ex‑wife Monica Sterling.

But at 24 she met an unknown actor two years her junior as they co-starred in a small theatre production in Los Angeles.

Both were launching their careers and from performing dynasties. Clooney’s aunt was famed crooner Rosemary Clooney and his father Nick was a TV chat show host.

Talia’s father was respected stage actor Martin Balsam and her mother was veteran TV actress Joyce Van Patten.

The pair fell in love but when Balsam broke it off after nine months 22-year-old Clooney was devastated.

“It broke his heart,” says Clooney’s close friend, actor Richard Kind. Clooney sought solace in work and found modest success playing a redneck chauffeur on top sitcom Roseanne.

He also met actress Kelly Preston, fresh from co-starring as Arnold Schwarzenegger’s love interest in Twins, and plunged into a whirlwind romance.

On their first date he asked her to move in with him.

The together. “I was always Mr Full On Spontan eous,” he refl ects. “I was like, ‘Let’s go! Whatever you want to do, let’s do it.’ Then as you get older you start to go, ‘You know what? Maybe we should go out a little bit fi rst.’ I’m much more cautious than I ever was before.”

BUT when Preston dumped him and quickly became engaged to Charlie Sheen, Clooney was once again heartbroken – until Balsam unexpectedly came back into his life. Five months later he proposed.

“I’d gotten out of one relationship that wasn’t going very well and married the one girl that I truly loved and had loved for years,” says Clooney.

Yet his partying days were far from over and he was not about to settle down and have the family Balsam craved.

He fondly recalls their wedding in 1989 as a day of partying with his Rat Pack gang of pals. “I went to Vegas with all my friends and got married in a chapel by an Elvis impersonator,” he re calls.

“I took a Winnebago (motor home) there. When you come from Kentucky any kind of white-trash thing like that really impresses you.”

After tying the knot he hit the gambling tables, “drinking and playing craps. I had already done the big gamble. I figured how much more could I lose”?

A lot, apparently. The marriage foundered after only a couple of years and they divorced in 1993.

“It didn’t work out but there was one good night,” he says. “I probably, defi nitely, wasn’t someone who should have been married at that point. I just don’t feel like I gave Talia a fair shot.”

Though he has sworn never to marry again Clooney insists: “She didn’t do anything to me. We had a relationship that didn’t work out, most of it is my own fault… I was the one in the relationship who wasn’t willing to fix things.

“For me it was about children. Everybody keeps telling me I have to have children. They think that I hate kids but I adore them.”

Then he explains: “I wish it was a part of me. I wish I had those kind of drives. I’ve never been great in relationships. I don’t have any children. My legacy is my work.”

For the star who found fame in the hit television series ER his independence is paramount. “In marriage you’re bound by what’s expected of you,” says Richard Kind.

“He doesn’t want to be expected to do anything.”

But freedom has its price, says longtime friend, actor Tom Hinkley: “If you hang out with George for even 10 minutes you would sense a sadness in him. He believes you have a choice, you either have a career or you have love.”

Another old acquaintance Thom Mathews adds: “He can’t commit. He doesn’t want to break anyone’s heart.”

Without wanting children he feels no compulsion to marry. “I don’t see any reason to do it,” says Clooney, who has hung his retired wedding ring on a dragon sculpture in his living room.

“The only reason to get married is to have kids and that I believe is the ultimate responsibility. You can’t do it halfway. You can’t be a fairly good father and that’s not part of me. If it’s selfish it’s selfish.”

Former co-stars Nicole Kidman and Michelle Pfeiffer bet Clooney $10,000 each that he would be married with a child by 40. Clooney won the $20,000.

Talia Balsam’s career continued without Clooney, with a steady stream of film and TV roles.

Earlier this year she played Natalie Portman’s mother in romantic comedy No Strings Attached. She married Jon Slattery in Hawaii in 1998 and she now has the one thing Clooney could not – or would not – give her: a son, Harry.

AS CLOONEY yet again faces the world of bachelor parties, nightclubs and dating the world’s most beautiful women he may be wondering how much longer he can keep this up.

And he may be reminded of some wise words he offered on his playboy lifestyle at the tender age of 36.

“As you get older that image isn’t cute any more, not like when you’re 18 and going out with a bunch of girls. When you’re 40 and you do it, it’s kind of sad.”

So what does that make George at 50?

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 26 Jun 2011, 14:14

Thanks LL. Pretty good article. I think those quotes from Richard, Tommy and Thom are old, but nonetheless, they reinforce George's stand on no marriage/babies.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Sun 26 Jun 2011, 17:49

A hillbilly from Kentucky ! lol!
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jun 2011, 01:33

Melbert" you're welcome! welcome back here! love your comments!

Back to top Go down

Post by janieb Mon 27 Jun 2011, 01:44

There were a couple of mistakes in that article.

1. Kelly didn't leave him, he left her ( I saw a program about her and she confirmed it)
2. He played Roseannes boss on "Roseanne" not a hillbilly chauffer.
janieb
janieb
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Mon 27 Jun 2011, 02:37

The couple fought long and hard in court over their community property -- including George's prize possession, a potbellied pig named Max.
Why? It was his to begin with. Rolling Eyes

was a struggling actor who was "pursuing stardom with a vengeance, but Talia wanted a more traditional marriage so she was not at all that supportive," a close friend revealed.
She doesn't seem to be the angel people made her out to be back then.

sisieq
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Mon 27 Jun 2011, 03:56

What's that saying "Nothing more vengeful than a woman scorned" it's sounds like she was pissed& probably hurt.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Mon 27 Jun 2011, 07:21

Yep and that is why the divorce went on for so long. She seems to have wanted everything and George had to fight her. I think she was pretty upset George admits he didn't behave well but then in the end neither did she. He got an ulcer which I think lasted longer then the marriage! It worked out for the best she ended up marrying a nice guy and having a kid. Not so sure we would even have George today if he had off stayed married to Talia!
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 27 Jun 2011, 12:55

surely not.....
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Clooney Mon 27 Jun 2011, 14:35

He still takes meds for ulcers to ease the pain...
Clooney
Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by sandwiches Mon 27 Jun 2011, 20:00

Good reason to never want to marry again.
sandwiches
sandwiches
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Fri 15 Jul 2011, 14:35

John Slattery is asked about George in a recent interview (Mailonline - 15th July 2011)

"Indeed Balsam may qualify as the luckiest actress in Hollywood — not only is she married to one of Mad Men’s undeniable sex symbols (they have an 11-year-old son, Harry), but she remains the only woman to have got George Clooney up the aisle.

Did Slattery balk at having to follow People Magazine’s Sexiest Man Alive?

‘I think it was the other way around, actually’ he says. ‘I think George felt, "This guy’s going to make me look bad.” Actually, I haven’t seen George in a while, he’s always been a very generous guy to me. I like him.’"

Link
watching
watching
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 16 Jul 2011, 16:11

Yeah, and what's John going to say - "yeah man, I got George's sloppy seconds"...
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Sat 16 Jul 2011, 16:29

No matter what happened in their marriage(G&T) it must suck to be the woman who made GC never want to marry again, because that also comes with the only MRS. George Clooney.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Sat 16 Jul 2011, 16:35

Lucy LOL - My ex-husband made me not want to marry again - although I'm sure he's too self-centered to realize.

They don't call marriage "an institution" for nothing. IMO
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by bellybaby Tue 21 Feb 2012, 14:54

Have there been any recent pics of Talia and George together? Maybe at the same function or red carpet, and papped together?
Just curious.

bellybaby
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 21 Feb 2012, 14:55

together?

no

same function
maybe

but I don't remember
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 21 Feb 2012, 15:35

Didn't he hire her for one of the TV shows he did? I've forgotten what it was called but it was supposed to be some sort of semi-reality show about an actor trying to make it in Hollywood?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MM Tue 21 Feb 2012, 16:40

[quote]
ManhattanMaven wrote:I'm sorry but he was NOT a pretty picture during this period! HEINOUS neckware and horrendous long hair....ROFL! GOD...cutting his hair was the best thing he EVER did! Rolling Eyes [/quote
]

George inherited Nina's hair curliness and NIck's super hair thickness. That genetic combination made George's hair be too thick and curly to wear longer. George is better off with a shorter haircut.

Here is a YouTube clip for the WKRC-TV promotion (1978 featuring Nick Clooney. Nick is 44 years old in this clip. Notice his hair and how much is resembles George in some of these camera angles:

Last edited by MM on Tue 21 Feb 2012, 16:54; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Clip)
MM
MM
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 21 Feb 2012, 21:48

really nice!!! thanks! Very Happy
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Tue 21 Feb 2012, 22:21

Holy cow MM, I see the strong resemblance. Now we know what George will look like when he's in his seventies.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 21 Feb 2012, 23:01

well.... sorry Nick
but I guess GT grew
better
at the same age

way better than you!!!!

sorry! Not worthy
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Tue 21 Feb 2012, 23:45

I think George is looking more and more like Nick. Nick for his age is still handsome and I see George going the same way.
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 21 Feb 2012, 23:59

I didn't say that

I'm sure George will be as fascinating as Nick is now Very Happy
but he is
BETTER anyway!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Wed 22 Feb 2012, 03:08

Katiedot wrote:Didn't he hire her for one of the TV shows he did? I've forgotten what it was called but it was supposed to be some sort of semi-reality show about an actor trying to make it in Hollywood?
Talia was in KStreet, his Washington DC thing on HBO (I think). It was in 2003 and John Slattery (Talia's husband) was also in it.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by bellybaby Wed 22 Feb 2012, 13:12

I was just curious as to what, if any chemistry there is between them now...

bellybaby
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 22 Feb 2012, 13:17

now?

are u Suspect ?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 22 Feb 2012, 14:57

Damn, I'm pulling all sorts of things from my memory now. I can't guarantee this is 100% accurate but at the time (filming K Street) he said something along the lines of how strange it was to see someone who you were once so close to and find them a complete stranger.

I didn't repeat that very well because it didn't strike me as a negative comment when I read it, whereas what I've remembered does sound a little down.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next