George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Log in

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Biden at George fundraiser instead of Zelensky
Another site on the engagement of George Clooney EmptyTue 18 Jun 2024, 11:05 by annemariew

» George in Tuscany
Another site on the engagement of George Clooney EmptyMon 27 May 2024, 16:06 by benex

» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
Another site on the engagement of George Clooney EmptyFri 24 May 2024, 20:07 by benex

» Amal had key role in ICC bid to have both Hamas and Israeli leaders arrested
Another site on the engagement of George Clooney EmptyThu 23 May 2024, 13:48 by Missa

» The Good News
Another site on the engagement of George Clooney EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 18:19 by annemariew

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Another site on the engagement of George Clooney EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Another site on the engagement of George Clooney EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Another site on the engagement of George Clooney EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Another site on the engagement of George Clooney EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

+6
theminis
LizzyNY
playfuldeb
Missa
Nicky80
g-fan
10 posters

Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by g-fan Fri 02 May 2014, 16:16

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


Something Something George Clooney Something Engaged Something Something Fart
Posted by Melissa McEwan at Thursday, May 01, 2014  
[Content Note: Misogyny; misogynistic tropes.]

I have read not a single article about actor George Clooney's engagement to human rights lawyer Amal Alamuddin, because I don't care.

But these are the things I know, just from seeing headlines of articles about Clooney's and Alamuddin's engagement in my regular news reading:

1. Alamuddin is smart and educated, unlike those other bimbos Clooney's dated.

2. Alamuddin has her own career, unlike those other gold-diggers Clooney's dated.

3. Alamuddin managed to "lock him down" by playing hard to get, unlike those other sluts Clooney's dated.

4. Alamuddin, we should not be surprised to find, is the woman to finally bring an end to Clooney's long-term bachelorhood and take him "off the market," because she is awesome, unlike those other duds Clooney's dated, and Clooney obviously cannot settle for anything less than the most amazing woman on the planet because he is George fucking Clooney.

It's kind of amazing how being an attractive person in the entertainment industry is what makes Clooney the most eligible bachelor in the multiverse, and simultaneously made all of the women he dated previously, most or all of whom were attractive people in the entertainment industry, unsuitable to deserve being his wife.

It's kind of amazing that virtually everyone feels free to presume that all of the women he's previously dated wanted to be his wife.

It's kind of amazing how virtually everyone is apparently incapable of observing that Amal Alamuddin is an accomplished, smart, and interesting woman without demeaning other women, whose only connection to any of this is that they dated the man to whom she's now engaged, once upon a time.
Labels: Today in Misogyny


Last edited by LornaDoone on Fri 02 May 2014, 21:46; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : title typo)

g-fan
Shy poster

Posts : 1
Join date : 2014-02-21
Location : USA

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by Nicky80 Fri 02 May 2014, 18:28

LOL!  

Nasty funny little piece of writing making fun of the media headlines too  Twisted Evil
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by Nicky80 Fri 02 May 2014, 18:29

Welcome g-fan to the forum  Hello!
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by Missa Fri 02 May 2014, 18:42

Spot on. This media need to force women into competition with each other over a man drives me bonkers!
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by playfuldeb Fri 02 May 2014, 21:12

My first thought is that it could have been written by camp Alamuddin. Didn't her mother used to write for Daily Mail? I know I read "her mother" and Daily Mail" in the same sentence in another thread
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Posts : 4932
Join date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by Missa Fri 02 May 2014, 21:16

playfuldeb wrote:My first thought is that it could have been written by camp Alamuddin. Didn't her mother used to write for Daily Mail? I know I read "her mother" and Daily Mail" in the same sentence in another thread

Yeah, I think the sentence goes something like, "Her mother lives in England, so probably reads the Daily Mail."

How much further does Amal's conspiracy of power extend, do you think? Are we talking Free Masons, Illuminati, or what?

 floggingadeadhorse 
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by LizzyNY Fri 02 May 2014, 21:19

Welcome g-fan - Nice find. She's got the media pegged. I wonder what they'll find about Amal to knock her off the pedestal they've put her on? It never fails. Build 'em up with one hand and knock 'em down with the other.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8167
Join date : 2013-08-28
Location : NY, USA

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by theminis Fri 02 May 2014, 22:53

Missa - ssshh - don't mention the Illuminati  Exclamation 
theminis
theminis
Moderator

Posts : 6088
Join date : 2012-02-29
Location : Oz

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by Katiedot Sat 03 May 2014, 03:06

I mentioned them once, but I think I got away with it!

Seriously, this writer hits the nail on the head. So many of the other articles are as if George is doing Amal a favour by bestowing the privilege of marrying him on her. It's all so 'Good girl, well done. All those years of studying and hard work have paid off now: you've landed the man'.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Posts : 13223
Join date : 2010-12-05

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by party animal - not! Sat 03 May 2014, 03:15

Slightly different angle, but today I heard of one former classmate who had phoned her mother and apologised for being a disappointment to her!

Hilarious

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Posts : 12395
Join date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by LizzyNY Sat 03 May 2014, 03:20

Katie - This superwoman image in the US press is the result of the women's movement pushing their agenda. It is now politically incorrect to say a woman lucked out landing the world's most eligible bachelor. Amal is now the shining example of the successful career woman who got him because she's smarter than a mere man. It's nauseating!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8167
Join date : 2013-08-28
Location : NY, USA

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by Mazy Sat 03 May 2014, 07:44

I am happy someone finally has said something about the way all George's exs are stupid, money hunger and trash. This is typical of our new mindset in the US.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Posts : 2883
Join date : 2012-11-03

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by lelacorb Sat 03 May 2014, 08:12

nice, you wrote my thoughts. I am amazed by the fact that because Amal and a lawyer graduated at Oxford, all here are beautiful, intelligent, sweet, etc, etc.. I have many doubts about his morality from everything that I'm 'reading about her "great defenses" and then it makes me angry to read that she is the woman to his level speaking ill of the former, and this for two reasons: 1 George It is a man who has lived his life like a fool for love "only" 52 years? 2 I know a lot of lawyers and to do good work that is necessary to have a healthy dose of cynicism, to win a case and not all are willing to stop at nothing and then often become so well in their lives.
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Posts : 3352
Join date : 2011-03-15
Location : Italy

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by Katiedot Sat 03 May 2014, 15:32

Ok, we seem to be going in three different directions here. My thoughts on various points raised:

LizzyNY wrote:Katie - This superwoman image in the US press is the result of the women's movement pushing their agenda. It is now politically incorrect to say a woman lucked out landing the world's most eligible bachelor. Amal is now the shining example of the successful career woman who got him because she's smarter than a mere man. It's nauseating!
Not sure I'm following you here. I see a lot of reports are going with the whole "lucky girl, despite the fact she's educated she still managed to catch a man" angle which I find nauseating.

Mazy wrote:I am happy someone finally has said something about the way all George's exs are stupid, money hunger and trash. This is typical of our new mindset in the US.
Sad but true. Although already there are people wanting to say the same about Amal, that she's only after his money. I think it's just a trope that resonates well nowadays because of the casual misogyny in the media.

lelacorb wrote: I am amazed by the fact that because Amal and a lawyer graduated at Oxford, all here are beautiful, intelligent, sweet, etc, etc..
I totally get your point that just because she's well educated and has a great job in law, that doesn't make her an ethical or nice person. But I don't think anyone is saying that.

The only articles that I read saying that she's really nice are quoting people who actually know her. As for ethics, as a human rights lawyer, that kind of goes with the territory if you see what I mean although sure, it's not a given.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Posts : 13223
Join date : 2010-12-05

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by Missa Sat 03 May 2014, 15:36

Katiedot wrote:Ok, we seem to be going in three different directions here.  My thoughts on various points raised:

LizzyNY wrote:Katie - This superwoman image in the US press is the result of the women's movement pushing their agenda. It is now politically incorrect to say a woman lucked out landing the world's most eligible bachelor. Amal is now the shining example of the successful career woman who got him because she's smarter than a mere man. It's nauseating!
 Not sure I'm following you here.  I see a lot of reports are going with the whole "lucky girl, despite the fact she's educated she still managed to catch a man" angle which I find nauseating.


I've found the overall tenor of the coverage nauseating as well, and I think Ronan Farrow captured succinctly in his tweet that was posted in the engagement thread (along the lines of "thanks to the media for reminding me that Amal Alamuddin is not a rising legal star but a saucy minx who caught a man").
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by LizzyNY Sat 03 May 2014, 17:25

@Katie & Missa - Maybe we're looking at different sources. Honestly, I think they're both lucky - He, to have found someone he wants to marry and she, because he picked her.I hope it's real and they'll be happy together.

Thanks to the feminist movement, which in many ways I support, American culture has created an image of men as bumbling, horny adolescents. We've gone from "Father Knows Best" to "What Happens In Vegas" and it's having an effect on our society. IMO There needs to be a happy medium of respect for both sexes and their accomplishments.

LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8167
Join date : 2013-08-28
Location : NY, USA

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by LizzyNY Sat 03 May 2014, 17:30

PS - George and Amal are both talented and successful people in their respective fields. To my mind, that hers is more academically based in no way takes away from what he has accomplished in his career. They have equal value and deserve equal respect.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8167
Join date : 2013-08-28
Location : NY, USA

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by Missa Sat 03 May 2014, 17:47

LizzyNY wrote:@Katie & Missa - Maybe we're looking at different sources. Honestly, I think they're both lucky - He, to have found someone he wants to marry and she, because he picked her.I hope it's real and they'll be happy together.

Thanks to the feminist movement, which in many ways I support, American culture has created an image of men as bumbling, horny adolescents. We've gone from "Father Knows Best" to "What Happens In Vegas" and it's having an effect on our society. IMO There needs to be a happy medium of respect for both sexes and their accomplishments.


@Lizzy, that's an interesting perspective. I don't want to speak for Katie, but here's how I would rephrase that: I think they're both lucky, to have found someone they each want to marry." There's something about the "he picked her" that to me connotes that all she was waiting for was her prince to arrive on a white horse, and that rubs me the wrong way. It's a small difference in phrasing, but I think an important one.

I'm interested in your perspective on the feminist movement as well, particularly as it pertains to the image of men. I would argue that the anti-feminist side paints men as "bumbling, horny adolescents" that can't control themselves. For example, those are the people whose first question about a rape victim is "Well, what was she wearing?", as though any man faced with a woman in a short skirt would too overcome by hormones to behave appropriately and should be excused.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Another site on the engagement of George Clooney Empty Re: Another site on the engagement of George Clooney

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum