George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George in Tuscany
Christmas gift - Page 2 EmptySat 18 May 2024, 19:45 by benex

» The Good News
Christmas gift - Page 2 EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 18:19 by annemariew

» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
Christmas gift - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Christmas gift - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Christmas gift - Page 2 EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Christmas gift - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Christmas gift - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Christmas gift - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Christmas gift - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Christmas gift

+9
theminis
it's me
Maggy
amaretti
phys major
cindigirl
Joanna
suebee
lelacorb
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Christmas gift - Page 2 Empty Re: Christmas gift

Post by OofOof Fri 21 Dec 2012, 17:09

Have to admit, I agree Cindi. It's overbearing or just dark. I'd much rather live in Lornas version of the room. But I understand that the style of the house does have to factor into the decor. The photo actually reminds me of rooms I've seen in photo shoots of other wealthy and famous peoples' homes. They all seem to use the same designers! it all looks the same. No personality!
OofOof
OofOof
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Fri 21 Dec 2012, 21:04

OofOof wrote:Have to admit, I agree Cindi. It's overbearing or just dark. I'd much rather live in Lornas version of the room. But I understand that the style of the house does have to factor into the decor. The photo actually reminds me of rooms I've seen in photo shoots of other wealthy and famous peoples' homes. They all seem to use the same designers! it all looks the same. No personality!

If they're all using the same designer then they should re-think that decision.

I understand that there are tradional ways to design a room for a home of that age. I get that. But there are ways to freshen up the design so that it looks chic and inviting - not dark, drab and OLD.

I look at a room like that bedroom and the I think "must smell musty and old." Which is the last thing you would want someone to think about somewhere you live.

I'm not saying you have to go all modern, sleek and plastic either in the re-design, but certainly much classier and refined without looking like something decorated by someone's grandmother.

I really don't like overly ornate design. Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to regurgitate it into a room by stuffing it with STUFF.

And just because you have money doesn't mean you have any taste either. That's evidenced by all the sheik palaces with their god-awful golden toilets, sinks, etc. Makes me want to vomit when I see stuff like that.

And as much as we rag about Rande with and "e" I like what he did with the redesign of George's kitchen. That kitchen (from when he did that interview for Person to Person - I believe was the name of the show) made you feel comfortable without being overly decorated. The muted tones were soothing and personally, I'd learn to cook just so I could use a kitchen like that!

There are people who can design and make it better - and there are people who should just leave it to others but have some common sense and if your gut tells you it doesn't look or feel right then go with your gut.

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Fri 21 Dec 2012, 22:11

Have a feeling you and I probably have the same design sensibility Lorna. I tend to like open rooms free of lots of stuff. My bedroom is a lot like the way you described you would fix that bedroom photo. It's peaceful and I love being in it. Sadly, most of the really wealthy people I know or have worked for have had no taste. They tend to use a lot of gold and gaudy furnishings and fill their rooms with things that cost a lot of money but are butt ugly!

I'll never forget helping a friend of mine years ago in her new gallery. She concentrated on regional artists--it was in the Pacific NW so she had artists from California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, etc. There were some wonderful well known artists as well as many many great new artists. I worked for a non profit at the time and knew several of the city's wealthiest citizens. One of them came to an opening one night. She was re-doing "one of her living rooms." She looked at everything and left empty handed. Several months later I ran into her and she had ended up buying something from a gallery in town that focused on artists from NY, Chicago and Boston. The piece she ended up spending tens of thousands of dollars on was not even an original but it was by someone "famous."

I'm not a fan of Rande's (I find him vacuous and frankly, a famewhore) but I will agree with you that the kitchen in George's house is beautiful.

OofOof
OofOof

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 21 Dec 2012, 22:47

LOOOL !

no, the decorated ceiling is nice to look at
IMO

Very Happy Hello!
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Fri 21 Dec 2012, 23:50

it's me wrote:btw some nice vid
(there is the U.F.O. too... tongue )

Lol, I see it!
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sat 22 Dec 2012, 00:08

OofOof wrote:Have a feeling you and I probably have the same design sensibility Lorna. I tend to like open rooms free of lots of stuff. My bedroom is a lot like the way you described you would fix that bedroom photo. It's peaceful and I love being in it. Sadly, most of the really wealthy people I know or have worked for have had no taste. They tend to use a lot of gold and gaudy furnishings and fill their rooms with things that cost a lot of money but are butt ugly!

I'll never forget helping a friend of mine years ago in her new gallery. She concentrated on regional artists--it was in the Pacific NW so she had artists from California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, etc. There were some wonderful well known artists as well as many many great new artists. I worked for a non profit at the time and knew several of the city's wealthiest citizens. One of them came to an opening one night. She was re-doing "one of her living rooms." She looked at everything and left empty handed. Several months later I ran into her and she had ended up buying something from a gallery in town that focused on artists from NY, Chicago and Boston. The piece she ended up spending tens of thousands of dollars on was not even an original but it was by someone "famous."

I'm not a fan of Rande's (I find him vacuous and frankly, a famewhore) but I will agree with you that the kitchen in George's house is beautiful.

Exactly. Reminds me of that old film Pillow Talk where Doris Day redecorates Rock Hudson's apartment in the most awful gaudy stuff she could find. Of course she did that on purpose because she was angry with him, but that's what I mean about people choosing things because they are by some famous designer but that are as you say, "butt ugly!"

Here's an example of the type of design I like. Now obviously, it would not be appropriate for George's villa in Como, I know that, but Ralph Lauren's design esthetic is what I like. (No, not his mountain cabin stuff but the examples shown in his home being featured at the link below).

There are some ads that come up in the slideshow but skip past them.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Sat 22 Dec 2012, 00:21

Thanks for that link, Lorna.

I love Ralph Lauren. I saw the name in the link and just had to take a peek :-)

The decorations in the images are bit too masculine for me.
But I love his sense of style.
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Sat 22 Dec 2012, 00:36

LOVED the bathroom and lights in the dining room but found the rest not to my taste. The living areas looked too cluttered for me and I like art--all kinds, pottery, paintings etc., and so wanted color brought into the room with art on the walls. The art they had looked contrived to me rather than an eclectic assortment they had picked out along the way. But I love using white and black in rooms and if I had to choose between the bedroom in Como or Ralph's place, I'd go with Ralph. Very Happy
OofOof
OofOof

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sat 22 Dec 2012, 00:38

Maggy wrote:Thanks for that link, Lorna.

I love Ralph Lauren. I saw the name in the link and just had to take a peek :-)

The decorations in the images are bit too masculine for me.
But I love his sense of style.

I agree in the dining room pictures. I would change out the chairs but mostly I like the clean lines, the lack of too much clutter and the lightness of the rooms. I don't necessarily need so much white - I've seen some of his designs that feature tones of grays, browns and muted blues that are quite lovely but just not so ornate.

Another designer that I like that DOES use pattern, but does so in a really chic way is HGTV's Candice Olson. I think she's Canadian and I've seen where she will take even a dark, dingy basement and with the proper lighting and restrained use of pattern and color, transform the room into a thing of real beauty!

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 22 Dec 2012, 06:01

too white
too cold... even if with absolutely great pieces...

anyway nice gift to the eyes Very Happy
thanks
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Sat 22 Dec 2012, 17:16

Lighting is very important . The walls need to be warmer . I do not like pretentious decorating . I love the ceiling . I would light it softly .

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 22 Dec 2012, 18:10

thanks for the sparkling ornaments! Very Happy
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content