George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptyWed 08 May 2024, 22:11 by Ida

»  George filming new film in UK
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Serious Side - part 7

+6
annemarie
Donnamarie
party animal - not!
heartlove
Way2Old4Dis
ladybugcngc
10 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 Empty Re: The Serious Side - part 7

Post by annemarie Sat 21 Mar 2020, 20:39

[size=34]Donald Trump admits coronavirus is hurting his family business and won't rule out seeking government assistance for his company after Mar-a-Lago closed and his golf courses shuttered[/size]

• President Donald Trump won't rule out accepting government assistance for his Trump Organization after the company closed Mar-a-Lago and other properties

• 'I don't know,' Trump said Saturday at his daily coronavirus briefing 

• The administration is working on a financial rescue package for workers and businesses affected by the disease 

• Trump Organization staff have been fired at various facilities  

• Trump said he did not give his sons warning of government closure guidelines 

• 'I didn't speak to anybody,' he said 

• Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

By EMILY GOODIN, SENIOR U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 14:35 EDT, 21 March 2020 | UPDATED: 15:57 EDT, 21 March 2020

President Donald Trump won't rule out accepting government assistance for his Trump Organization after the company closed Mar-a-Lago, fired staff, and even shut down the bars at its Washington D.C. luxury hotel in the wake of the coronavirus
'I don't know. I mean, I just don't know what the government assistance would be for what I have. I have hotels. Everybody knew I had hotels when I got elected. They knew I was a successful person when I got elected so it's one of those things,' he said Saturday at his daily coronavirus briefing.
The administration is working on a financial rescue package for workers and businesses affected by the disease.
'Is it hurting me? Yeah, it's hurting Hilton, it's hurting all the great hotel chains all over the world. It's hurting everybody,' the president said of the economic fallout of the coronavirus. 'Very few businesses that are doing well.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26244030-0-image-a-1_1584815582603

+12

President Donald Trump won't rule out accepting government assistance for his Trump Organization after the company closed Mar-a-Lago and other properties
But, he added, the closures were a good thing as more than 22,000 people in the United States have been affected and almost 300 people have died.
'I think it's a good thing. You don't want people getting together hotels and clubs and everything, you get together. We want to beat this deal. I have many of them, hotels, clubs, things like that where people get together. I would think it would be a good practice to close them up,' Trump said.
The president said he also didn't give his sons - Don Jr. and Eric - who took over running the company after he was elected - any advance warning about restrictions coming to help contain the spread of the coronavirus.
'I didn't speak to anybody,' he said. 'I speak to my sons. They basically follow the rules. When they say close them down in New York, we close them down or wherever they may be having them.'
Several states where the Trump Organization has properties have closed bars, restaurants, gyms, clubs and other areas where large numbers of people gather to help contain the spread.  
'Various facilities are temporarily closed given local, state and federal mandates. We anxiously await the day when this pandemic is over and our world-class facilities can reopen,' a spokesperson for the Trump Organization told DailyMail.com. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26224776-8136571-image-a-34_1584740239445

+12

President Donald Trump's company has closed Mar-a-Lago, which the president usually visits on weekends this time of year
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26224778-8136571-image-a-35_1584740250876

+12

Mar-a-Lago became Ground Zero for the coronavirus after a Brazilian official who dined there tested positive for the disease 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26224796-8136571-image-a-36_1584740254012

+12

Bars in The Trump International Hotel Washington D.C. closed because of the mayor's call to close them in order to help stop the spread of the coronavirus
[size=10][size=18]Trump shares update on measures to combat the coronavirus

Loa
[/size][/size]

The White House is pushing for a $1 trillion package that would include $200 billion for the airlines and other critical industries directly affected by the coronavirus, such as the hospitality industry. Hotels and restaurants have been hit hard by the pandemic as people are staying home. 
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, a close Trump ally who has dined at Mar-a-Lago, on Friday issued an executive order that all restaurants and gyms in the state must close. Restaurants are allowed to do take-out orders. 
Earlier this week he closed bars and nightclubs to slow down the spread of the disease during Spring Break's high peak season.
But the order also affected Trump's Winter White House in Palm Beach, which became Ground Zero for the administration and the virus after a Brazilian official who attended a dinner there March 8 tested positive for the disease.
That had a cascade effect as the president was at the dinner along with several members of his administration and the first family. President Trump has tested negative for the disease. 
But the club was closed Monday for a deep cleaning. Other guests from the March 8 event had to be tested for the virus. At least three cases have been tied to attendees there.  

Normally, the president would spend weekends at Mar-a-Lago this time of year, where he would enjoy dinner with his fellow club members and spending time at his Trump International Golf Club West Palm Beach. 
Additionally, earlier this week, Washington D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser ordered all restaurants, bars, and clubs to close to help contain the pandemic.
That order closed the restaurant and bar at the Trump International Hotel Washington D.C., which sets just blocks from the White House.
The hotel is a popular watering hole for Republicans. Members of the Trump family have been seen in its bars and restaurants when they are in town. And the president sometimes dines there.  
'As an organization we are following federal, state and local direction and guidance very carefully,' Eric Trump, who took over leading the company after his father's election, told The New York Times
[size=18]Trump meets with Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro at Mar-a-Lago

L
[/size]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26224772-8136571-image-a-37_1584740484562

+12

The Trump International Hotel and Tower in New York has fired 40 members of its staff as it struggles ahead of a'significant shortfall in revenues'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26224780-8136571-image-a-38_1584740550837

+12

At Trump's National Doral Miami club, the golf course is closed but the pool remains open
The Trump Organization cut staff  - 40 from its New York hotel and 95 per cent from its Washington location - along with closing golf courses in Los Angeles and the Miami area, the paper reported.
In a letter to owners of units in the Trump International Hotel and Tower in New York on Thursday and obtained by The Times, general manager Matthew Vandegrift warned of a 'significant shortfall in revenues.' 
'While we recognize that hope is not a strategy, I can assure you we are thoroughly analyzing expenses,' Vandegrift wrote. 'Strategies have been deployed to mitigate the expected financial losses as a result of COVID-19.' 
Several business have had to take lay off staff after being closed to help stop the spread of the highly contagious disease.
The Trump Organization owns more than a dozen golf clubs and at least partially owns or operates hotels in Chicago, Hawaii, Las Vegas, New York, Vancouver and Washington D.C., as well as Ireland and Scotland. 
The president's Bedminster New Jersey golf club, where he often spends summer weekends, is open for play although the club told members no caddies or other services were available. 
At Trump's National Doral Miami club, the golf course is closed but the pool remains open. 
 Tony Fauci dismisses Donald Trump's claim malaria drugs are a 'gift from god' for coronavirus and says president is talking about 'hope' not whether it 'actually works' 
Dr. Tony Fauci said on Saturday that President Donald Trump was 'talking about hope' when he bragged that malaria drugs could be a 'gift from god' to cure the coronavirus and not whether the medication 'actually works.'
'The president is talking about hope for people and it's not an unreasonable thing to hope for people,' Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and a member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, said at the daily press briefing.
But, he added, his job as a scientist - Fauci is an immunologist and AIDS expert - is to prove that a treatment and cure are safe and actually work.
'There are those who lean to the point of giving hope and say give that person the option of having access to that drug and then you have the other group, which is my job as a scientist, to say my job is to ultimately prove without a doubt that a drug is not only safe, but that it actually works,' he said.
[size=18]Tony Fauci dismisses Trump's claim malaria drugs are a 'game changer'

Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
0:00

Previous
Play
Skip
Mute

[/size]
Current Time0:00
/
Duration Time1:19

Fullscreen
Need Text

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26246820-8137925-image-a-2_1584819377655

+12

Dr. Tony Fauci said President Donald Trump was 'talking about hope' when he bragged that malaria drugs could be a 'gift from god' to cure coronavirus
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26244032-8137925-image-a-3_1584819385689

+12

President Trump defended his embrace of malaria drugs without studies to back him up, saying 'what do we have to lose'
[size=18]Trump says malaria drugs could be 'gift from god' to cure coronavirus

[/size]

Trump has continually pushed drugs used for malaria as a treatment option for coronavirus and his embrace of them has caused twinges in the medical community.
'This would be a gift from heaven, this would be a gift from god if it works. We are going to pray to god that it does work,' the president said Saturday.
Fauci acknowledged the two points of view - hope versus science - could come into conflict and noted he experienced just that during the AIDS epidemic in the 1980s.
'Those two things are really not incompatible when you think about it, particularly when you're in an arena where you don't have anything that's proven,' he said.   
For several days Trump has pushed drugs that have been used to cure malaria as a treatment option for the coronavirus, leading to questions as to whether he is raising unsubstantiated hope for people infected with the disease since there have been no studies proving it cures the virus. 
The president exploded in anger on Friday when he was asked just that as he touted orders of the drug cloroquine - despite Fauci saying at the same press briefing that there was no evidence it worked and that even its safety was unknown. 
Trump, on Saturday, argued 'what do we have to lose' when it comes to using the drugs.
'Look, I feel as the impression goes, what do we have to lose, because, you know, I feel very good about it,' he said.
The president acknowledged Fauci and other doctors wanted data on the subject.
'Tony would feel like he likes samples done and I understand that too. Many doctors agree with that,' he said, adding 'we don't have much time. We have a lot of very sick people in hospitals all over the place.' 
The president has gotten defensive when asked about his embrace of the drugs as a coronavirus cure.  
'I'm a smart guy,' he said on Friday. 'I feel good about it.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26244990-8137925-image-a-5_1584819964419

+12

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26219058-8138335-An_angry_Donald_Trump_went_after_NBC_News_Peter_Alexander_simply-a-31_1584820321767

+12

An angry Donald Trump went after NBC News' Peter Alexander simply for asking what his message was to 'scared' Americans 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26216076-8137925-NBC_News_Peter_Alexander_had_asked_President_Trump_if_he_was_put-a-4_1584819503395

+12

NBC News' Peter Alexander had asked President Trump if he was putting too positive of a spin on the coronavirus crisis and if he had a message for scared Americans 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26241414-8138335-image-a-32_1584820364658

+12

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26241416-8138335-image-a-33_1584820367801

And he erupted at NBC's Peter Alexander who asked the president about the issue, saying: 'What do you say to Americans who are watching you right now who are scared?'
Trump, who listened to the question with his eyes down, shaking his head, looked up and erupted: 'I would say that you're a terrible reporter, that's what I'd say.
'I think it's a very nasty question. And I think it's a very bad signal that you're putting out to the American people. The American people are looking for answers and they're looking for hope. And you're doing sensationalism and the same with NBC, and Concast, I don't call it Comcast [NBC News' ultimate parent company]  for whom you work. You need to get back to good reporting.
'Let's see if it works.' 
Before entering the briefing room on Saturday, the president urged the Food and Drug Administration in a tweet to speed approval for a malarial drug and an antibiotic to treat coronavirus patients, despite warnings from experts that further study is needed.
'HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE & AZITHROMYCIN, taken together, have a real chance to be one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine,' Trump wrote in a tweet on Saturday morning. 
'The FDA has moved mountains - Thank You! Hopefully they will BOTH...be put in use IMMEDIATELY. PEOPLE ARE DYING, MOVE FAST, and GOD BLESS EVERYONE!' he continued.
Trump noted that 'H works better with A,' referring to the drug combination, and cited a small French study published in the International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents.
The president tagged the FDA and FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn in his tweet, apparently urging them to action. An FDA spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment from DailyMail.com. 
The French study, carried out on 20 patients earlier this month, is highly preliminary and was non-randomized. 
However, it did find that six patients who received a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin had their viral load reduced faster than those on either hydroxychloroquine alone or neither of the drugs.
Hydroxychloroquine is a high-power drug used to treat malaria, which is a parasitic infection, as well as some non-infectious inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis.
Azithromycin is a fairly common antibiotic that is used to treat a number of bacterial infections, such a strep throat.
Neither drug has been previously indicated to treat a viral infection such as coronavirus, although there were anecdotal reports of hydroxychloroquine being used successfully to treat SARS, a close relative of coronavirus. 
Though both drugs are common, with side effects that are well understood, the combination of the two drugs is novel and its unclear what interactions they may have.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sat 21 Mar 2020, 20:51

I've just read an upsetting report about Corona in Northern Italy. In Bergamo, the most affected city, the crematory works 24/7 but sometimes people have to be cremated hundreds of miles away. People die alone - relatives are not allowed to visit them once sich people are taken to hospital, and their relatives then get a phonecall where somebody tells them that the patient passed away.
In smaller towns, in each family somebody died of the virus.
Before that, I had watched an interview with an Italian nurse from that area. She works at a ICU unit and said that every single Corona patient taken to the ICU unit, died after a while, no matter which treatment he got and which age he had. And that they have reached a level where they have to decide who will a lung ventilator and who won't - knowing that the patient won't survive anyway.
It's just horrible! And seeing that there are still people ignoring it just drives me mad!
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 21 Mar 2020, 21:09

Carol it is sad and very scary. I saw where the soldiers were brought in to Italy, to take bodies to be cremated so many trucks.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sat 21 Mar 2020, 21:11

That's really sad Carol.  Where does this end?
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 21 Mar 2020, 21:19

Sad My heart breaks for the people of Italy. I can't understand why they seem to have been hit so much harder by this disease than the rest of us - at least so far. I pray they get some relief soon.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 21 Mar 2020, 21:51

Carol, I gather that people are trying to find out the link between Wuhan and the Lombardy region - and it seems to be partly to do with industry and the fashion trade in both places linked to supply chains. One family business in Cordogne, south of Milan suffered terrible consequences and I'm sure they're not the only ones...and a large Chinese/Milanese community living north of there.....

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 21 Mar 2020, 22:19

Lizzy and Annemarie,  definitely get the impression that Cuomo's  doing a good job

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 21 Mar 2020, 22:19

Lizzy and Annemarie,  definitely get the impression that Cuomo's  doing a good job

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sun 22 Mar 2020, 02:18

Laughing Laughing Laughing  Check out the expressions on the faces of the people behind the Pretend-sident when he goes off on Alexander. What a gaping asshole.

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26219058-8138335-An_angry_Donald_Trump_went_after_NBC_News_Peter_Alexander_simply-a-31_1584820321767

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 22 Mar 2020, 02:23

Gov. Cuomo seems to be doing an excellent job.  I listened to his press conference this morning.  He is so smart, knows his facts and acts like a leader.  I felt better listening to him than hearing anything out of Trump’s mouth ... which is mostly confusing hyperbole, misstatements or outright lies.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 22 Mar 2020, 02:53

Cuomo is doing a great job. He explains everything he's doing and why he's doing it - and he's smart, so when he explains something it makes sense - not like some other "leaders" who can't put a sentence together. Cuomo is doing his damndest to get us through this and I'm really glad he's our governor. His father would be really proud of him.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 22 Mar 2020, 10:59

I took anti malaria meds for years ... once a week on Sundays ... with no side effects... but I heard rumours in the last year or so that some of the more recent anti malaria meds were causing psychotic episodes??? 

@ wto “gaping asshole”. Love it ....

Even the “Gaping Asshole” must know in his heart of hearts this could take him down ... if not one way then the other ....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 22 Mar 2020, 13:48

I don't think he knows anything he simply wants to be the hero if it works great for him, if it doesn't it will be someone else's fault. Heart and Trump are not words that belong in the same sentenced not to me anyway.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 22 Mar 2020, 16:22

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8139923/U-S-coronavirus-lockdown-10-12-weeks-Trump-official-says.html

[size=34]Coronavirus lockdown could last 10-12 WEEKS: Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin warns millions of Americans may have to stay home until June in a bid to slow the spread[/size]

• Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin shared details on Fox News Sunday, saying 'we're looking at a 10 to 12-week scenario'

• Mnuchin said: 'I think the president has every expectation this is going to look a lot better four or eight weeks from now' 

• He said he hopes Congress will vote on a new bill on Monday

• Combined with actions undertaken by Federal Reserve and the administration, the prospective bill would have a $2 trillion net impact on a U.S. economy 

• Nearly one in four Americans, or 80 million, were under orders to close up shop and stay home

• New York, California, Illinois, Connecticut, Oregon and New Jersey, among other states have instituted statewide lockdowns 

• Questioned about the time it took the government to take action against the spread, Mnuchin said: 'Nobody expected this to take off at the rate it did' 

By REUTERS
PUBLISHED: 10:04 EDT, 22 March 2020 | UPDATED: 12:01 EDT, 22 March 2020

The lockdown affecting 80 million people - nearly one in four of the American population - to try to curb the spread of the coronavirus is likely to last 10 to 12 weeks, or until early June, US Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin has said.
Americans are adapting to the biggest change in daily life since World War Two with schools closed, sports canceled and economic upheaval as job losses mount with the shuttering of businesses across many industries.
Hospitals are scrambling for protective equipment for healthcare workers and ventilators as they brace for a wave of patients who will need help breathing. U.S. cases climbed to over 25,000 on Sunday morning and at least 325 people have died, with about half the cases in New York state, according to a Reuters tally.
The virus has killed over 13,000 globally and infected more than 300,000, prompting the likes of California, New York, Illinois and Texas to close non-essential business and ban large gatherings. 
Asked how long state-wide stay at home orders could last, Mncuhin said on Fox News Sunday 'we're looking at a 10 to 12-week' scenario'. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26266666-8139923-image-a-46_1584888414909

+9

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Fox News Sunday that the state lockdowns are likely to last two to three months

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 NFyKLxL5_normal

FoxNewsSunday

✔@FoxNewsSunday

[ltr]FOX News Sunday: Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin discusses the timeline of the economic stimulus. Secretary thinks the package will be passed Monday: "we're looking at this from anywhere to a 10 to 12 week scenario." #FNS #FoxNews[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 WOTTY4kGnK0iTGH2?format=jpg&name=small

9:33 AM - Mar 22, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

[ltr]

38 people are talking about this

[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26266130-8139923-image-a-2_1584887129574

+9

Carpenters wear protective gear as they board up the closed Sephora store on 34th St in Manhattan Friday. All workers in non-essential businesses have been ordered to stay home
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26266672-8139923-image-m-59_1584890869653

+9

An empty New York subway train is pictured on Sunday on the day a state-wide shutdown was enforced
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26263090-8139923-image-a-1_1584886947456

+9

Lawmakers in Washington are nearing a deal that could pump a record $1 trillion into the economy to limit the economic damage from the coronavirus. 
U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told Fox News Sunday that he hopes Congress will vote on the bill on Monday. Proposed payments to an average family of four would be $3,000 and would only be one-time for now, he said.
Mnuchin also said the additional liquidity measures for the Federal Reserve aims to help a broad base of U.S. businesses get through next 90 to 120 days.  
Questioned about the time it took the US to react to the virus, Mnuchin defended the government's actions.
'The intelligence community was giving the White House warnings back in January that the situation coming out of China was very, very serious and would likely end up in a pandemic,' guest host John Roberts said. 
'Were you ever warned that something like this was coming down pipe because the initial White House reaction appeared to be, "Oh, don’t worry. It’s over there in China." I was told, why do we need to respond robustly because there’s only 16 cases here.

'Were you ever warned early on by the intelligence community that this was coming?' 
'You know, I want to be careful talking about specific intelligence. But let me be clear — and this is not just in the U.S., this is around the world. Nobody expected this to take off at the rate it did.'
He added: 'The situation has changed very quickly and the president has responded to that.'
Time periods for atate-wide shutdowns are indefinite.
But Mnuchin shared lockdown plan details with Roberts when asked whether the time frame was more like six to eight weeks.
'Well first of all I hope that this gets passed soon as we need the money now,' Mnuchin began. ' I would say that we're looking at this anywhere from a 10 to 12-week scenario. But again, this situation is moving quickly.'
He added: 'We need to get the money into the economy now, if we do that we can stabilize the economy. We're putting a lot of money into the hospitals. I think the president has every expectation this is going to look a lot better four or eight weeks from now.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26266662-8139923-image-a-47_1584888534644

+9

Questioned by guest host John Roberts (left) about the time it took the government to take action against the spread, Mnuchin (right) said: 'Nobody expected this to take off at the rate it did'

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26267286-8139923-image-m-56_1584890661122

+9

Nearly one in four Americans, or 80 million, were under orders to close up shop and stay home as New York, California, Illinois, Connecticut and New Jersey instituted statewide lockdowns
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26266670-8139923-Light_traffic_is_seen_along_the_110_Harbor_Freeway_toward_downto-m-60_1584890950282

+9

Light traffic is seen along the 110 Harbor Freeway toward downtown in Los Angeles on Saturday. California Gov. Gavin Newsom issued a statewide stay-at-home order Thursday for residents to venture outside only for essential jobs, errands and some exercise, due to coronavirus concerns
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26268060-8139923-image-a-65_1584892332201

+9

He said he hopes Congress will vote on a new bill on Monday. Combined with actions undertaken by Federal Reserve and the administration, the prospective bill would have a $2 trillion net impact on a U.S. economy. Pictured, Mnuchin arrives for a meeting in the office of U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) Sunday to wrap up work on coronavirus economic aid legislation
'Unless we tell people to stay home and to stop interacting in the way they were, we are going to see more and more, thousands more, tens of thousands of more deaths than we otherwise would,' Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker told CNN on Sunday. 
After two days of marathon closed-door negotiations, there was no sign of an overarching deal between negotiators late on Saturday, despite Republicans' claims of bipartisan agreement on specific issues including unemployment insurance and small business assistance.
'The past two days of intense bipartisan talks are very close to a resolution,' Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said on Saturday. McConnell plans to hold a vote on the sprawling package on Monday.
Combined with actions undertaken by the U.S. Federal Reserve and the administration, the prospective bill would have a $2 trillion net impact on a U.S. economy facing powerful headwinds spawned by the outbreak, according to White House officials.
Senate Minority leader Chuck Schumer, a Democrat who met twice on Saturday with Mnuchin, agreed progress was being made.
'I'm optimistic we can get a deal,' the New York Democrat told reporters on Saturday.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 22 Mar 2020, 16:25

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8139779/Top-New-York-surgeon-warns-coronavirus-infections-peak-22-32-days.html

[size=34]Top NYC surgeon says coronavirus has 'breached' hospital walls, warns beds will be full of patients in as little as 22 days and describes how medical staff are forced to clean and re-use one mask each[/size]

• Dr Craig Smith, Columbia University’s chief surgeon, said hospitals in New York-Presbyterian system are burning through 40,000 masks per day 

• Smith warned that surge of infected patients could peak in next 22 to 32 days

• His projections show system’s hospitals needing 700 to 934 ICU beds for peak

• According to Smith, the system saw 50 per cent increase in coronavirus patients, totaling 300 being treated and another 200 awaiting test results

By VALERIE EDWARDS FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 08:53 EDT, 22 March 2020 | UPDATED: 09:42 EDT, 22 March 2020

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26263720-8139779-image-a-12_1584881286235

+6

Dr Craig Smith (pictured), Columbia University’s chief surgeon, warned that new projections estimate the number of coronavirus patients will continue to grow over the next 22 to 32 days
As the number of confirmed coronavirus cases soared above 12,000 in the state of New York, Columbia University’s chief of surgery warned that emergency rooms will become overwhelmed with infected patients within the next 22 to 32 days.
Because of dwindling supplies, hospitals have been rationing supplies and asking staff to reuse masks until they become soiled.
Dr Craig Smith, Columbia University’s chief surgeon, said hospitals in the New York Presbyterian system are burning through about 40,000 masks a day – about 10 times the normal amount.
Smith has been raising alarms about the rapid surge of patients and dwindling supplies in daily letters to colleagues that have been posted to the Columbia surgery department’s Twitter account.
On Friday, Smith warned in a letter that  new projections estimate the number of coronavirus patients will continue to grow over the next 22 to 32 days, overwhelming New York-Presbyterian system’s emergency rooms and intensive care units, even with measures taken to build capacity.
The projections show the system’s hospitals needing 700 to 934 ICU beds when the outbreak reaches its peak.
According to Smith, the system saw a 50 per cent increase in coronavirus patients, making for a total of 300 being treated and another 200 awaiting test results.
'Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to apologize profusely in a few weeks for having overestimated the threat,' Smith wrote.
'That would mean we never exceeded capacity, and that mortalities and morbidities rarely seen in non-pandemic circumstances were avoided. The next month or two is a horror to imagine if we’re underestimating the threat,' he added.
Scroll down for video  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26263718-8139779-According_to_Smith_the_system_saw_a_50_per_cent_increase_in_coro-a-16_1584882167797

+6

According to Smith, the system saw a 50 per cent increase in coronavirus patients, making for a total of 300 being treated and another 200 awaiting test results
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26264628-8139779-image-a-18_1584883501695

+6

On Saturday, Smith wrote in another letter: 'In the past few days it has become obvious that the virus has breached our Department walls, and we can expect to hear about increasing numbers of infected Department colleagues'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26263706-8139779-image-a-13_1584881331220

+6

His projections show the system’s hospitals needing 700 to 934 ICU beds when the outbreak reaches its peak. A Department of Health employee is seen training New York Army National Guard soldiers to register people on iPads at a drive through testing center in New York 
[size=10][size=18]Gov. Cuomo says NY coronavirus cases have hit 10,300

Lo
[/size][/size]

On Saturday, Smith wrote in another letter: 'In the past few days it has become obvious that the virus has breached our Department walls, and we can expect to hear about increasing numbers of infected Department colleagues. 
'It should be no surprise if these infections appear in clusters associated with the care of infected patients.'
Smith also said that this 'underlines the importance of deploying providers strategically to minimize the chance of incapacitating all or most of one subspecialty because of illness and quarantine'.

At NYU Langone Health, another hospital operator, the 'ERs are extremely busy' and some patients are being treated in space retrofitted to expand capacity, spokesman Jim Mandler said Saturday.
New York Gov Andrew Cuomo said the state is scouring the globe for medical supplies and scouting temporary hospital locations as the coronavirus crisis grows.
Officials have identified 2 million masks that can be sent to hot spots, and apparel companies are pivoting to make masks, Cuomo said. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265054-8139779-image-a-24_1584884492255

+6

There are more than 26,000 confirmed coronavirus cases in the US with 346 deaths
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26264064-8139779-image-a-17_1584882175672

+6

[size=18]Workers carry out COVID-19 tests inside 'Hot Zone' tent in New York

Lo
[/size]

A million masks were being sent Saturday to New York City hospitals and 500,000 to Long Island.
Cuomo said the goal is to quickly boost the state’s hospital capacity from around 50,000 beds to 75,000 beds. More than 1,600 people have been hospitalized so far.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency had declared a major disaster in the state, freeing up access to billions of dollars in relief funding.
As of late Saturday night, the disease has killed at least 76 people in New York state, according to a tracking effort at Johns Hopkins University. At least 60 of those deaths were in New York City.
Cuomo said the state is looking to see if the Jacob K Javits Convention Center in Manhattan could be suitable for 1,000 requested field hospital beds that would supplied by FEMA in a 'tent configuration' with equipment and staff.
Also on Saturday, the state was scouting four locations for temporary hospitals that would be built by the Army Corps of Engineers, Cuomo said.
In addition to the Javits Center, other sites include Stony Brook University and SUNY Old Westbury on Long Island and the Westchester County Center north of the city.
'Everything that can be done is being done,' Cuomo said
There are more than 26,000 confirmed coronavirus cases in the US with 346 deaths. 
Globally, there are more than 311,000 cases and more than 13,400 deaths.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 22 Mar 2020, 16:28

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8139889/Seven-month-old-boy-South-Carolina-youngest-person-test-positive-coronavirus.html

[size=34]Seven-month-old boy becomes youngest in the U.S. to test positive for coronavirus: Mom shares pictures of her sick boy in hospital and slams experts who said children aren't at risk[/size]

• Courtney Watts Doster got her son Emmett tested Monday and results Tuesday returned a positive result

• The seven-month-old has pneumonia, the most severe form of the virus

• Doster's mother was unknowingly carrying the virus before they knew Emmett had it and was in contact with the child 

• Medical experts were unsure whether Emmett could be tested the same way as adults 

• 'We were told that this virus wasn't affecting small children so "no need to worry"! How wrong were they?!' she posted on Facebook

• Emmett is doing better but she worries he could take a turn for the worse

• She has urged people to stay home and not take their kids on play dates 

By LEAH SIMPSON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 10:20 EDT, 22 March 2020 | UPDATED: 11:55 EDT, 22 March 2020

A South Carolina mother has shared her baby's battle against coronavirus in a desperate Facebook appeal where she warned COVID-19 can strike the very young.
Courtney Watts Doster shared images of her sick seven-month-old son Emmett Wednesday - the youngest person to test positive in the country.
It's unclear where the baby contracted coronavirus but Doster's mother was in close proximity with her child before she knew she was ill.
'COVID19 isn't a joke. This isn't time to go out and have play dates, or go to Walmart, or go out to eat. Stay home people please!' Doster posted on Facebook Wednesday.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265428-8139889-Emmett_Doster_was_the_youngest_person_in_the_US_to_test_positive-m-11_1584885788670

+10

Emmett Doster was the youngest person in the US to test positive for coronavirus Tuesday
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265424-8139889-Courtney_Watts_Doster_got_her_son_Emmett_tested_Monday_and_resul-m-12_1584885900179

+10

Courtney Watts Doster got her son Emmett tested Monday. She's pictured with her husband (right) and two other children aged two and four. Now she's worried about their risk too
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26266026-8139889-image-a-38_1584886942048

+10

Above is a map showing how confirmed coronavirus cases have affected the country
Doster – a married mother-of-three – was alarmed when Emmett developed a high fever on Monday but she wasn't sure whether the baby could be tested for COVID-19.
After several hours talking to South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) and Prisma Health hospital on the phone, she was able to get him a test at Urgent Care.
Later that day Emmett's temperature spiked and he spent the night in hospital.
'Nothing worse than your 7 month old running 104 fever, being poked and prodded over and over, and then being told he's positive,' Doster continued in a Facebook post Wednesday. 'He has pneumonia which is the most severe form of this virus. Please read and learn facts....the CDC among other medical sites have tons of info!'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265566-8139889-image-a-28_1584886054012

+10

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265568-8139889-image-m-27_1584886047401

+10

Medical experts were unsure whether Emmett (left and right) could be tested the same way as adults
The results came back positive on Tuesday and now Doster is worried about her children aged two and four.
By Wednesday she said, 'Emmett was feeling much better'.
'I did notice tonight he was easily winded if he jumped too much or played a little hard. You could tell he didn't feel as well right before bed! But he has been fever free without meds since around 1pm yesterday!' Doster continued.
The mother added in another social media post Saturday that everyone needs to take the virus seriously, whether old or young.
It was as in the United States over 25,400 were confirmed to be infected and there were more than 300 coronavirus related deaths.
While the vulnerable are often classed as the elderly and those with certain underlying illnesses, such as diabetes or heart issues, advice has changed over time as more and more young people who tested positive had died or become severely ill from COVID-19.

However data does not take into account many who died and were not tested for the virus.
'People need to know that this nasty virus can affect anyone. It doesn't care how old you are! Like most, in the beginning, we thought this virus was a big media hype. We quickly changed our minds when my mom became extremely ill with this,' Doster explained. 'But even more so when our sweet, little 7 month old took a turn for the worst Monday afternoon. He went from being a smiley and bubbly baby to lethargic and extremely sick. We were told that this virus wasn't affecting small children so "no need to worry"! How wrong were they?!'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265570-8139889-image-m-25_1584886032813

+10

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265572-8139889-The_mother_added_in_another_social_media_post_Saturday_that_ever-a-8_1584892362263

+10

The mother added in another social media post Saturday that everyone needs to take the virus seriously, whether old or young. Emmett is pictured in hospital
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265574-8139889-Warning_signs_She_said_he_child_was_winded_if_he_jumped_too_much-a-10_1584892362330

+10

Warning signs: She said he child was 'winded if he jumped too much or played a little hard'
The mother appealed for people not to be selfish in their ways, even if they believe are not particularly vulnerable to the illness.
After her own mother was unknowingly a carrier, Doster urged others to think about how they could be harming strangers or someone they love.
'This is my PSA! Please take heed to these warnings. Stay inside. Don't go out to eat or to the park or to the bars. As much as it sucks to be at home, remember this.....IT'S NOT ABOUT JUST YOU! Stay home for your elderly parents or grandparents, or your immunocompromised sister, the newborn baby next door!' Doster wrote online. 
'The more we stay home, wash our hands, and listen to the president or our governors, the CDC, etc the quicker this will be over and we can get back to somewhat normal lives. This virus is putting healthy, young, 30 something year olds in the ICU! More and more children and infants will contract this virus. And more and more will need to be in the ICU on ventilation.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265564-8139889-Emmett_is_doing_better_but_she_worries_he_could_take_a_turn_for_-a-11_1584892362384

+10

Emmett is doing better but she worries he could take a turn for the worse, she said in a FaceTime interview
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265576-8139889-Emmett_is_doing_better_but_she_worries_he_could_take_a_turn_for_-a-9_1584892362264

+10

'We were told that this virus wasn't affecting small children so "no need to worry"! How wrong were they?!' she wrote
'I have also experienced my oldest at just 2 years old hooked up to a ventilator from an extremely high fever that caused a complex febrile seizure. That was the scariest day in my life. I want to never experience it again and I don't want any other mamas to have to! So please, please stay at home.'
She added Emmett is home safe and resting but 'we know it can change in the matter of minutes'.
Doster added in a FaceTime call with WISTV: 'It’s very, very scary not to know -- could he make a turn for the worse tonight and just not be able to breathe. I’ve noticed him coughing more than he did in the beginning and so that’s very scary.' 
The family has been told to quarantine until at least April 1.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 22 Mar 2020, 16:37

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8139527/The-worst-come-Spanish-PM-tells-nation-prepare-hard-days-ahead.html

[size=34]'The worst is yet to come': Spanish PM tells nation to prepare for 'hard days ahead' as Madrid exhibition centre is transformed into giant hospital - while coronavirus death toll hits 1,720 with 28,572 cases[/size]

• Spain's Prime Minister says the country will be pushed to its limits by Covid crisis

• Pedro Sanchez says Spain will experience a major peak in the coming week

• More than 25,000 positive cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Spain

• The capital Madrid is reporting by far the most cases with 9,702 and 1,021 dead 

By HENRY MARTIN and WILLIAM COLE FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 06:41 EDT, 22 March 2020 | UPDATED: 10:21 EDT, 22 March 2020

Madrid is preparing for a new wave of coronavirus infections as the country's Prime Minister warns the next phase of the crisis will push the country's facilities to the limit.
Pedro Sanchez says Spain will experience a major peak over the coming week and has asked residents to be prepared 'for very hard days ahead'.
'The worst is yet to come,' he said, adding: 'We are at a very critical moment.'
'We have yet to receive the impact of the strongest, most damaging wave, which will test our material and moral capacities to the limit, as well as our spirit as a society.'
Health authorities today announced 394 new deaths, raising the country's total to 1,720, a 30 percent increase over the previous day.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26259740-8139527-image-a-1_1584869783315

+7

Health workers prepare to receive the first patients with coronavirus at Ifema exhibition complex in Madrid, Spain
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26259736-8139527-image-a-4_1584870028831

+7

The Community of Madrid and the UME (Spanish Emergency Army Unit) are installing a specific hospital for COVID-19 with 5,500 beds and an UCI (Intensive Care Unit)
The number of confirmed cases of the disease rose by 3,646, or 14.6 per cent, to 28,572, according to health ministry figures, with officials warning infections will rise further in the coming days.
Health workers are now receiving the first patients with coronavirus at the Ifema exhibition complex on the outskirts of Madrid.
The field hospital will have 5,500 beds once it is fully sent up, including 500 in an intensive care unit. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26259718-8139527-image-a-3_1584869893331

+7

The first patients with coronavirus arrive at Ifema exhibition complex on March 22 in Madrid
[size=10][size=18]Spain's PM says 'worst is yet to come' on coronavirus

Lo
[/size][/size]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26259730-8139527-image-a-10_1584870867951

+7

The number of people confirmed to be infected with the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Spain has increased to at least 25,400, with the latest death toll reaching 1,381 according to the countrys Health Ministry

The country's capital has reported by far the largest number of cases, 9,702, and at least 1,021 deaths. 
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said that the country's situation was close to its most difficult since the 1936-39 civil war. 
With 1,785 people being treated in intensive care units for the virus, there is mounting concern about the ability of hospitals to cope.
Health care workers accounted for over 10 percent of all confirmed cases of coronavirus, the health ministry's emergencies coordinator, Fernando Simon, said.

Lockdowns are not enough to defeat coronavirus, WHO experts says 

Countries cannot simply lock down their societies to defeat coronavirus, the World Health Organization's top emergency expert said today.
Mike Ryan, chief executive director of the WHO Health Emergencies Programme, said even if countries stop citizens mingling, there still needs to be public health measures to avoid a resurgence of the virus later on.
He said in an interview on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show: 'What we really need to focus on is finding those who are sick, those who have the virus, and isolate them, find their contacts and isolate them.
'The danger right now with the lockdowns...if we don't put in place the strong public health measures now, when those movement restrictions and lockdowns are lifted, the danger is the disease will jump back up.'

'This is a significant problem for our health care system,' he told a news conference.
Authorities have called up 52,000 extra workers to help the country's health service as it struggles to contain the virus, including 14,000 retired doctors and nurses.
Soldiers helped move coronavirus patients on Sunday to a makeshift field hospital set up at a Madrid conference centre which is to be fitted with 5,500 hospital beds, which would make it the biggest such facility in Europe. 
Spain on March 14 issued lockdown orders for its roughly 46 million residents who are only permitted to leave their homes for essential work, food shopping, medical reasons or to walk the dog.
Sanchez is expected to ask parliament to extend the initial 15-day state of emergency for another two weeks.
In a speech last night, Mr Sanchez said Spain is one of the countries most affected in Europe by the pandemic, stressing that the virus has several different characteristics from those of the common flu and that it spreads much faster and is more lethal.
Hotels across Spain are being offered as hospitals and in Madrid, the region worst-hit by the coronavirus, Madrid's famous conference and exhibition centre has started to receive its first patients. 
The halls have been converted in just 18 hours, compared with 18 days for a major event, and will offer 5,500 beds, as well as an intensive care unit.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26259732-8139527-image-a-11_1584870872303

+7

This morning, the Prime Minister confirmed that the State of Emergency imposed on March 14 will be extended for another 15 days
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26261174-8139527-image-a-20_1584874263120

+7

Paramedics work at the temporary hospital set up at a pavilion in Ifema convention and exhibition center in Madrid, Spain, late March 21
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265288-8139527-image-a-4_1584886622508

+7

'The main objective of this new health provision will be to provide an adequate response to the needs for hospitalisation and ICU care that will occur, due to the rebound of new cases that are being anticipated for the region in the coming days,' said Madrid council in a statement.
The Ayre Gran Hotel Colon in Madrid has been the first to start receiving patients who have symptoms but whose condition requires medical follow-up without the need to be admitted to a hospital, both at the beginning of the disease and in the final phase.
The chains with a presence in Madrid have made 60,000 spaces available to the health authorities.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 22 Mar 2020, 16:41

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8139893/People-die-dont-die-Blasio-says-Trump-lifted-finger-help-NYC.html

[size=34]'If Donald Trump doesn't act, people will die who don't have to die': Bill de Blasio slams the president for 'not lifting a finger' to help his 'hometown of NYC' during the coronavirus crisis and warns hospitals will be depleted in just 10 days[/size]

• New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Sunday morning that Donald Trump has not done enough to help his 'hometown' of New York City  

• 'The truth is, and New Yorkers and all Americans deserve the blunt truth, it's only getting worse,' de Blasio said on NBC's Meet the Press

• He said the worst is yet to come with coronavirus, claiming the escalating crisis would worsen into May and June 

• 'I can't be blunt enough, if the president doesn't act, people will die who could have lived otherwise,' he continued

• New York City is facing the most amount of confirmed cases of coronavirus than anywhere else in America – harboring about 1/4 of the cases nationally

By KATELYN CARALLE, U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 10:32 EDT, 22 March 2020 | UPDATED: 12:34 EDT, 22 March 2020

Bill de Blasio said Sunday that if Donald Trump doesn't send more aid to New York City to combat coronavirus then 'people will die' of the disease who otherwise would have lived.
'The truth is, and New Yorkers and all Americans deserve the blunt truth, it's only getting worse,' de Blasio said in an interview on NBC News' Meet the Press Sunday morning. 'And, in fact, April and May are going to be a lot worse.'
'Right now, we are a third of the cases in the country – that's going to get worse. We're about two-thirds or more the cases in New York State – that's going to get worse,' The New York City mayor continued.
A little less than one-fourth of the coronavirus cases in America are congregated in New York City.  
'The President of the United States is from New York City and he will not lift a finger to help his hometown, and I don't get it. I don't get it,' he claimed.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265864-8139893-image-a-12_1584887376371

+8

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Sunday morning that Donald Trump has not done enough to help his 'hometown' of New York City as it faces the most amount of cases of coronavirus than anywhere else in America
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26266728-8139893-image-a-29_1584889271646

+8

'The truth is, and New Yorkers and all Americans deserve the blunt truth, it's only getting worse,' de Blasio said in an interview with NBC's Meet the Press Sunday morning
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26266280-8139893-image-a-25_1584888275921

+8

'I can't be blunt enough, if the president doesn't act, people will die who could have lived otherwise,' de Blasio said, claiming Donald Trump needs to mobilize the military to help get supplies to New York City
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26266180-8139893-image-a-13_1584887450480

+8

New York has gone on lockdown, with streets eerily empty as the millions of residence stay at home as coronavirus rocks the nation's largest city 
[size=10][size=18]Workers carry out COVID-19 tests inside 'Hot Zone' tent in New York

L
[/size][/size]
De Blasio said he has requested Trump mobilize the military and enact the fullest of the Defense Production Act so New York can get more ventilators and other necessary medical equipment and supplies.
'I can't be blunt enough, if the president doesn't act, people will die who could have lived otherwise,' he charged.
The nation's largest city is suffering most from the coronavirus outbreak, with more than 12,300 of the nearly 27,000 nationally confirmed cases coming from New York State – with the majority congregated in New York City.
The city's Democratic mayor has been critical of Trump's response to the pandemic, and asserted he wants the president to order more military response.
'The military has extraordinary medical capacity of its own that's been honed in fighting wars. They can handle any situation,' he insisted. 'All military personnel who are medically trained should be sent to places where this crisis is deep – like New York – right now.'
'The military is the best logistical organization in the nation. If there are ventilators being produced anywhere in the country, we need to get them to New York, not weeks from now or months from now, in the next ten days,' he said, expressing the urgency of the situation. 'And the only force in America that can do that is the military.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26266224-8139893-image-a-16_1584887688717
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26266220-8139893-image-a-17_1584887692797
'Why are they at their bases? Why are they not being allowed to serve? I guarantee you they're ready to serve, but the president has to give the order,' he said, again putting the onus on Trump.
Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who represents parts of Queens and The Bronx, agreed with de Blasio during her earlier interview with CNN's State of the Union.
'One of the things that we're hearing over and over again from hospitals, again, is this point on personal protection equipment. There are not enough face masks, gloves, ventilators, hospital beds to get us through this. Many hospitals are already at capacity, or are approaching capacity,' Ocasio-Cortez said, slamming the government on not giving an answer on when and if shipments can be expected.
'The fact that the president has not really invoked the Defense Protection Act for the purpose of emergency manufacture is going to cost lives,' she continued, going against what the Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator Peter Gaynor said earlier Sunday morning.
Gaynor claimed this action is not needed because American companies are donating the necessary equipment and orders are being put in.
'We cannot wait until people start really dying in large numbers to start production… we need to start this production right now to get ready for the surge that is coming in two to three weeks,' Ocasio-Cortez pushed back.
De Blasio also told a local ABC affiliate for the New York City area Sunday that hospitals in the area are 'about 10 days away' for shortages of fundamental supplies to handle both coronavirus cases and those hospitalized for other reasons.
'April is going to be a lot worse than March,' he said, reiterating the point he made earlier in the day that the worst is yet to come with the outbreak.
De Blasio brought up during his NBC interview Sunday morning that New York City is the president's 'hometown,' – and while Trump is a native New Yorker, he and first lady Melania Trump recently changed their residency to Florida.
Trump has said a massive amount of ventilators have been ordered, but also urged state governors to work on obtaining their own supply – claiming it might be faster than the federal response.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26242412-8137985-image-a-18_1584805890568

+8

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo revealed Saturday the locations for makeshift hospitals in the state and has ordered more than 1.5 million masks and 6,000 ventilators to be delivered
[size=18]First responders attend to 'wheezing man' who collapsed on NYC subway

Loa
[/size]

The president and New York Governor Andrew Cuomo claim they have had good conversations over the last few weeks about getting help to New York.  
Cuomo revealed in a live-streamed press conference Saturday locations for makeshift hospitals and said more than two million masks and 6,000 ventilators are being rushed across the state.
Confirmed cases of the virus in New York State surpassed 12,300 on Sunday.
Cuomo said the state's 19 million residents that he had identified a number of locations to set up makeshift hospitals as hospitals including the Jacob K Javits Center on 11th Avenue, New York City; SUNY Stony Brook; SUNY Westbury; and the Westchester Convention Center.
The Democrat governor urged New Yorkers to comply with the shutdown rules, saying that the New Rochelle containment zone had been successful in slowing the spread of the deadly virus – even though New York State has amassed a little under half of the cases in the U.s.
Cuomo pled with Trump to waive all costs for the state as part of the federal government's emergency declaration, claiming the 'state is broke.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265844-8139893-image-a-26_1584888337399

+8

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265852-8139893-image-a-27_1584888356473

+8

While there are close to 27,000 cases of coronavirus nationally, a little less than half of that comes from New York State
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265856-8139893-image-a-28_1584888358627

+8

About 1/4 of the confirmed coronavirus cases are congregated in New York City as cases skyrocketed in the last week

De Blasio claimed that everyone except the administration is stepping up to help New York City as it faces the mounting challenges of a city-wide lock down and a swift increase of cases and deaths from the fast-spreading respiratory virus.
'Every-day people are stepping up,' he told CNN's Wolf Blitzer Sunday morning. 'It's true companies are trying their damnedest to step up but the president is not stepping up.'
'If you don't order companies to maximize production of ventilators, surgical masks, all the things desperately needed, prioritize where it will go, it won't happen in time. This is not something where everyone makes up their own mind, you hope the stuff arrives in time. We're not getting shipments. We're not getting the stuff we need,' he continued.
'If we don't get more ventilators in the next ten days, people will die who don't have to die.'
[size=18]Girl films enormous line outside NYC hospital for coronavirus test

Lo
[/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 22 Mar 2020, 16:55

drumpf's not helping New York, but The Times says he wrote a letter offering North Korea help fighting the virus. Nice to know he's putting "America first" and his priorities are in the right place!Evil or Very Mad I wonder how many drumpf hotels North Korea is going to build.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 22 Mar 2020, 17:18

Dr Sylvia Bignamini is the Health Director of San Francesco Clinic in Bergamo, Italy, the city at the epicentre of the country's outbreak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkozG3IcXUU

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 22 Mar 2020, 18:05

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8140079/Governor-Cuomo-slams-arrogant-New-Yorkers-going-outside-gathering-parks.html

[size=34]Governor Cuomo slams 'arrogant and insensitive' New Yorkers for going outside, warns 80% of the state will be infected and orders FOUR hospitals for 1,000 coronavirus patients to be built inside the Javits Center[/size]

• New York Governor Andrew Cuomo reiterated the need for social distancing at a press conference on Sunday

• He said he visited New York City on Saturday and was shocked by the number of people he saw congregating outdoors 

• 'There is a density level in New York City that is wholly inappropriate,' the governor said. 'You would think there was nothing going on'

• He warned that the coronavirus crisis could last for nine months and said 80 percent of the state's 19 million people could become infected

• Cuomo also revealed he's asked FEMA to set up four hospitals to treat COVID-19 patients at the Javits Center in Manhattan

• He also instructed all hospitals in New York to increase capacity by 100 percent 

By MEGAN SHEETS FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 13:03 EDT, 22 March 2020 | UPDATED: 13:53 EDT, 22 March 2020

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26269398-8140079-image-m-3_1584895520466
Governor Andrew Cuomo slammed 'arrogant' New York City residents for ignoring social distancing guidelines at a press conference on Sunday (pictured)
Governor Andrew Cuomo slammed 'arrogant' New Yorkers for ignoring social distancing guidelines on Sunday as the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the state surpassed 15,000. 
Speaking to reporters at a press conference, Cuomo described his horror at visiting New York City on Saturday and seeing parks crowded with people who have been instructed to limit contact as much as possible.  
'There is a density level in New York City that is wholly inappropriate,' the governor said. 
'You would think there was nothing going on in parts of New York City. You would think it was just a bright sunny Saturday. 
'I don't know what I'm saying that people don't get. I don't know what they're not understanding. 
'This is not life as usual. None of this is life as usual.'  
Cuomo warned that the COVID-19 outbreak is on pace to last nine months and said 80 percent of the state's 19 million residents could become infected.  
He revealed that he's asked the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to set up four hospitals within Manhattan's Javits Center as the state struggles to prepare for the expected influx in COVID-19 patients. 
'This is literally a matter of life and death,' he said. '[If] we get these facilities up, we get the supplies, we will save lives. If we don't, we will lose lives. That is the simple fact of this matter. 
'From my point of view, construction can start tomorrow.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26269278-8140079-image-a-5_1584895753845

+11

Cuomo said he visited New York City on Saturday and was horrified to see parks crowded with people who have been instructed to limit contact as much as possible. People are seen walking through Central Park on Saturday afternoon 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26269292-8140079-image-a-8_1584895880402

+11

'There is a density level in New York City that is wholly inappropriate,' the governor said
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26269318-8140079-image-a-6_1584895766032

+11

Cuomo has asked the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to set up four hospitals within Manhattan's Javits Center (pictured)
The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in New York state jumped to 15,168 on Sunday - accounting for nearly half of the more than 30,000 cases across the US. 
The majority of those cases - 9,654 - are in New York City, where high population density has facilitated the virus's rapid spread. 
Cuomo issued a state-wide order requiring all non-essential workers to stay home on Friday. According to his visit on Saturday, Cuomo said, the message wasn't received in New York City.  

Addressing residents ignoring the order by congregating outside, Cuomo said Sunday: 'This is just a mistake. It's a mistake. It's insensitive, it's arrogant, it's self-destructive, it's disrespectful to other people, and it has to stop. It has to stop now. 
'This is not a joke, and I am not kidding.'
Cuomo said he's spoken to Mayor Bill de Blasio and asked the city to come up with a plan to decrease public gatherings outside within the next 24 hours. 
He said he is not at all against citizens going out to get fresh air, but insisted that they do so away from other people. 
He acknowledged that the population density in New York City is higher than anywhere else in the US but said there are ways officials can conduct crowd control, such as by blocking streets to traffic to give residents more space to move.  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26269308-8140079-image-a-10_1584895905988

+11

Addressing residents ignoring official orders by congregating outside, Cuomo said Sunday: 'This is just a mistake. It's a mistake. It's insensitive, it's arrogant, it's self-destructive, it's disrespectful to other people, and it has to stop. It has to stop now'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26269296-8140079-image-a-9_1584895899008

+11

A woman wearing a mask is seen at Bethesda Fountain in Central Park on Saturday
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26269304-8140079-image-a-11_1584895918384

+11

Cuomo said he's spoken to Mayor Bill de Blasio and asked the city to come up with a plan to decrease public gatherings outside within the next 24 hours. People are seen exercising in Brooklyn's McCarren Park on Saturday
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26269420-8140079-image-a-4_1584895598037

+11

New York state accounts for nearly half of the nation's coronavirus cases. As of Sunday, more than 25,430 cases have been confirmed in the US and 308 people have died
Cuomo also offered new details on the state's efforts to prepare the healthcare system for an influx of COVID-19 patients. 
He said he has asked all hospitals to increase capacity by 100 percent as there are currently 53,000 beds available and data suggests some 110,000 beds will be needed by the time the outbreak reaches its peak. 

NEW YORK CONFIRMED CASES 

TOTAL CASES - 15,168
NYC - 9,654
ALBANY - 123 
DUTCHESS - 82
ERIE - 54  
MONROE - 57 
NASSAU - 1,900 
ORANGE - 247 
ROCKLAND - 455 
SARATOGA - 24
SCHENECTADY - 21
SUFFOLK - 1,034 
ULSTER - 38 
WESTCHESTER - 1,873 
The following counties have fewer than 10 cases: Allegany, Broome, Chenango, Clinton, Columbia, Delaware, Essex, Fulton, Genesee, Greene, Hamilton, Herkimer, Jefferson, Livingston, Montgomery, Niagara, Oneida, Onondaga, Ontario, Putnam, Rensselaer, Schoharie, Sullivan, Tioga, Tompkins, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Wyoming 
Updated 11.45am Sunday 

The state will be waiving regulations to help hospitals meet that goal, which he admitted was  'ambitious', 'difficult' and may be impossible in some places. 
A Department of Health Emergency order effective Sunday will require all hospitals to increase capacity at least by 50 percent, Cuomo said, with each strongly encouraged to meet the 100 percent goal. 
The mandate also includes the cancellation of all elective, non-critical surgeries, which Cuomo said could free up '25 to 35 percent more beds'.  
'Hospitals are not happy about it because elective surgeries are a major source of revenue, but this is not about money, this is about public health,' Cuomo said. 
He said it is likely that efforts within hospitals alone will not meet the demand for beds, so the state is taking additional steps to convert existing residential facilities such as hotels and nursing homes so they can treat COVID-19 patients. 
Cuomo said the state is moving forward with plans to erect four hospitals within the Javits Center in Manhattan, which could hold up to 1,000 patients.
The 1.8 million-square-foot center - which typically hosts auto and trade shows and other major events in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood - will be converted to house four 250-bed hospital units under the management of FEMA, Cuomo said.  
The state was also looking at several other venues as possible hospital sites, including the campuses at SUNY Stony Brook and SUNY Westbury, and the Westchester Convention Center. 
Cuomo's latest comments came as: 

• The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the US climbed past 30,000 on Sunday, including 386 deaths
  • Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin warned that lockdowns affected 80 million Americans count remain in effect until June 
  • Congress prepares to vote on a coronavirus relief deal that will pump $1trillion into the US economy and give families $3,000 each 
  • Five students at University of Tampa tested positive for COVID-19 after ignoring social distancing guidelines by going on spring break 
  • 13 states have cancelled primaries for the 2020 election due to the pandemic
  • Lab trials are underway for drugs that have shown promising results against COVID-19, including hydroxychloroquine, Zithromax and chloroquine

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265856-8140079-About_1_4_of_the_confirmed_coronavirus_cases_are_congregated_in_-a-8_1584899529185

+11

About one fourth of the confirmed coronavirus cases in the US were reported in New York City
New York City Mayor de Blasio echoed Cuomo's heightened concern during an interview on NBC's Meet the Press on Sunday morning, warning that if Donald Trump doesn't send more aid to New York City to combat coronavirus, then 'people will die' of the disease who otherwise would have lived.
'The truth is, and New Yorkers and all Americans deserve the blunt truth, it's only getting worse,' de Blasio said. 'And, in fact, April and May are going to be a lot worse.
'Right now, we are a third of the cases in the country – that's going to get worse. We're about two-thirds or more the cases in New York State – that's going to get worse. 
A little less than one-fourth of the coronavirus cases in America are congregated in New York City.  
'The President of the United States is from New York City and he will not lift a finger to help his hometown, and I don't get it. I don't get it,' de Blasio said.  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26265864-8140079-New_York_City_Mayor_Bill_de_Blasio_said_Sunday_morning_that_Dona-a-6_1584898383694

+11

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Sunday morning that Donald Trump has not done enough to help his 'hometown' of New York City as it faces more cases than anywhere else in America
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26266280-8140079-_I_can_t_be_blunt_enough_if_the_president_doesn_t_act_people_wil-a-7_1584898406835

+11

'I can't be blunt enough, if the president doesn't act, people will die who could have lived otherwise,' de Blasio said, claiming Donald Trump needs to mobilize the military to help get supplies to New York City
De Blasio said he has requested Trump mobilize the military and enact the fullest of the Defense Production Act so New York can get more ventilators and other necessary medical equipment and supplies.
'I can't be blunt enough, if the president doesn't act, people will die who could have lived otherwise,' he charged. 
The Democratic mayor has been critical of Trump's response to the pandemic, and asserted he wants the president to order more military response.
'The military has extraordinary medical capacity of its own that's been honed in fighting wars. They can handle any situation,' he insisted. 
'All military personnel who are medically trained should be sent to places where this crisis is deep – like New York – right now.'
'The military is the best logistical organization in the nation. If there are ventilators being produced anywhere in the country, we need to get them to New York, not weeks from now or months from now, in the next ten days,' he said, expressing the urgency of the situation. 
'And the only force in America that can do that is the military.'

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 22 Mar 2020, 18:38

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8140357/Senator-Rand-Paul-tested-positive-COVID-19.html

[size=34]BREAKING NEWS: Rand Paul tests positive for coronavirus: Republican from Kentucky becomes first U.S. senator to be infected and reveals he didn't have any symptoms[/size]

• Rand Paul's official Twitter account announced Sunday that the Republican senator has tested positive for coronavirus 

• 'He is feeling fine and is in quarantine,' the statement claimed

• It added: 'He is asymptomatic and was tested out of an abundance of caution due to his extensive travel and events' 

• The 57-year-old is the first U.S. senator, but third member of Congress, to test positive for coronavirus

• Paul was seen sitting close to other senators at the GOP Senate luncheon Friday 

By MICHELLE CURRAN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 13:47 EDT, 22 March 2020 | UPDATED: 14:34 EDT, 22 March 2020

Rand Paul, a Republican senator from Kentucky, has tested positive for coronavirus, his office announced Sunday afternoon.
'He is feeling fine and is in quarantine,’ a tweet from his official Twitter account revealed. ‘He is asymptomatic and was tested out of an abundance of caution due to his extensive travel and events. He was not aware of any direct contact with any infected person.
'He expects to be back in the Senate after his quarantine period ends and will continue to work for the people of Kentucky at this difficult time,’ it continued. 
'Ten days ago, our D.C. office began operating remotely, hence virtually no staff has had contact with Senator Rand Paul.' 
The 57-year-old is the first US senator to test positive for coronavirus, but the third member of Congress to reveal he tested positive for the respiratory disease.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26270538-8140357-image-a-9_1584899298727

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26270556-8140357-image-a-10_1584899377761

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26270540-8140357-image-a-7_1584899243153

+1

Senator Rand Paul has tested positive for coronavirus. He is pictured above Wednesday at the U.S. Capitol for a vote on a second COVID-19 funding bill already passed by the House

Two House members, Representatives Mario Diaz Balart of Florida and Ben McAdams of Utah, revealed this week that they have also tested positive. 
Paul casted the sole 'no' vote last week on the $8.3 billion measure to help tackle the pandemic. 
The legislation will provide federal public health agencies money for vaccines, tests and potential treatments. 
The Senate was in session Sunday seeking a bipartisan response to the pandemic. 
A CNN reporter also revealed Paul was seen during a luncheon with GOP senators Friday seated directly next to other lawmakers.
'I took a picture inside the Senate GOP lunch when the door was open Friday and saw Rand Paul seated next to other senators,' CNN's Senior Congressional Correspondent Manu Raju tweeted along with a photo.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 22 Mar 2020, 21:38

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8140257/Germany-ban-gatherings-TWO-people-nationwide-crackdown.html

[size=34]German Chancellor Angela Merkel is put in quarantine after doctor she saw tested positive for coronavirus – as her country bans gatherings of more than TWO people to stop the spread[/size]

• Family members are exception from the rule, according to regional premier  

• Angela Merkel made agreement today with regional leaders to control virus 

• Coronavirus has killed 73 people across Germany and infected some 22,000 

By ISABELLA NIKOLIC and FAITH RIDLER and JOE MIDDLETON FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 12:54 EDT, 22 March 2020 | UPDATED: 16:44 EDT, 22 March 2020

Germany Chancellor Angela Merkel will quarantine herself at home after being treated by a doctor who has since tested positive for coronavirus - as the country bans gatherings of more than two people to stop the spread of the disease.
'The Chancellor has decided to quarantine herself at home. She will be tested regularly in the coming days... (and) fulfil her official business from home,' Steffen Seibert said in a statement. 
The doctor had visited Merkel, 65, on Friday to vaccinate her against the pneumococcus bacteria.
Mr Seibert added: 'It could take some time to determine whether the chancellor is herself infected as 'a test would not yet be fully conclusive.'
It comes just hours after she banned gatherings of more than two people in a nationwide crackdown to stop the spread of the killer disease.
Around 73 people have died in Germany after testing positive for COVID-19, which has infected almost 22,000 across the nation.
'Our own behaviour is the most effective way' of slowing the rate of infection, Merkel said of the nationwide measures, which are expected to remain in place for two weeks. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26269982-8140257-image-a-4_1584898214481

+5

Germany has banned gatherings of more than two people in a nationwide crackdown to stop the spread of coronavirus (Pictured: Angela Merkel)
[size=10][size=18]Angela Merkel's final press conference before entering quarantine

Lo
[/size][/size]

People will not be allowed to form groups of more than two in public unless they live together in the same household or the gathering is work-related, she added. 
The German chancellor claims she is against a rigid lockdown because she fears it could backfire. 
In a statement given in Berlin after the teleconference, Merkel added: 'The great aim is to gain time in the fight against the virus'. 
The German chancellor also further tightened rules on social interaction, with restaurants ordered to only offer takeaway services and hairdressers and beauty, massage and tattoo parlours asked to close.

It comes after Merkel last week announced gatherings in churches, mosques and synagogues would be banned and said playgrounds and non-essential shops would close amid growing numbers of coronavirus cases.
Germany's public health agency, the Robert Koch Institute, also warned on Tuesday that the coronavirus crisis could last up to two years. 
The institute said the global pandemic could stretch on for another 24 months as they usually run their course in waves. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26269558-8140257-image-a-33_1584896238700

+5

A police car drives past Pariser Platz square in front of the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin today
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26269976-8140257-image-a-12_1584899400731

+5

Merkel announced the measures in Berlin (pictured) after she held a teleconference with the governors of Germany's 16 states to discuss how they could contain the deadly virus
According to RKI President Lothar Wieler, the length of time depends on how many people develop immunity to COVID-19 after contracting the virus, how many more people test positive for the illness and how long it takes to develop a vaccine.
Dr Wieler did not rule out the potential for some of the emergency measures established by countries to have to stay in place for that duration.
Meanwhile, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said the government has come up with some 50 million euros (£45 million) to bring home German citizens stuck abroad. 
He announced a drive to bring home thousands of tourists stranded in popular winter vacation spots across the globe - particularly people on package holidays in Morocco, the Dominican Republic, the Philippines, the Maldives and Egypt.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26269980-8140257-image-a-14_1584899500111

+5

People will not be allowed to form groups of more than two in public unless they live together in the same household or the gathering is work-related, she added
Maas said the government would spend up to 50 million euros on the effort to bring Germans home in co-operation with airlines including Lufthansa. 
He did not give a precise number of stranded Germans but said there was a particularly large number in Morocco, with around 4,000 or 5,000. 
He said that 'even if we will do everything humanly possible, we cannot in every case provide a solution within 24 hours'. 
He added his ministry has issued a formal warning against tourist travel to any country.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 22 Mar 2020, 21:40

[size=34]BREAKING NEWS: Harvey Weinstein has coronavirus: Rapist movie mogul tests positive and is put in isolation just days after arriving in an upstate New York prison to start his 23-year sentence[/size]

• A source told DailyMail.com on Sunday: 'He tested positive and is quarantined'

• Weinstein, 68, is isolated at Wende Correctional Facility in Western New York

• The shamed producer told prison staff he believed he has the virus when he entered the state prison system last Wednesday from notorious Rikers Island

By SHAWN COHEN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 17:16 EDT, 22 March 2020 | UPDATED: 17:36 EDT, 22 March 2020

Rapist Harvey Weinstein has tested positive for coronavirus.
Weinstein, who turned 68 last Thursday, is being isolated at Wende Correctional Facility in Western New York.
Weinstein told prison staff he believed he has the virus when he entered the state prison system last Wednesday from notorious Rikers Island where a number of inmates have the virus. 
A source told DailyMail.com: 'He tested positive and is quarantined.' 
Weinstein is serving a 23-year sentence for rape and sexual assault. DailyMail.com has contacted his spokesman for comment. 
New York City was hit by the nation's largest coronavirus jail outbreak to date this week, with at least 38 people testing positive at the notorious Rikers Island complex and nearby facilities - more than half of them incarcerated men, the board that oversees the city's jail system said Saturday. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26274634-0-image-a-17_1584911952634

+1

Disgraced film mogul and convicted rapist Harvey Weinstein has contracted coronavirus

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 22 Mar 2020, 22:31

Karma really is a bitch!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sun 22 Mar 2020, 23:20

He might die from it. His health has obviously been ravaged by lack of access to power and women to assault.

In the meantime, I'm wondering how the Orange Pustule has avoided it, considering how many exposed and positive Congresscritters kiss his ass every day.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 22 Mar 2020, 23:28

https://people.com/politics/rand-paul-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

[size=48]Senator Rand Paul, Who Delayed Then Voted Against Pandemic Aid, Tests Positive for Coronavirus
Sen. Rand Paul was the only senator to vote against the bipartisan coronavirus pandemic aid bill
By Eric Todisco 
March 22, 2020 05:45 PM

[/size]

Sen. Rand Paul has tested positive for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
The 57-year-old Republican is now the first senator to have contracted the coronavirus. His team shared the news on Twitter Sunday.
“Senator Rand Paul has tested positive for COVID-19,” the tweet read. “He is feeling fine and is in quarantine. He is asymptomatic and was tested out of an abundance of caution due to his extensive travel and events. He was not aware of any direct contact with any infected person.”
“He expects to be back in the Senate after his quarantine period ends and will continue to work for the people of Kentucky at this difficult time” his team added. “Ten days ago, our D.C. office began operating remotely, hence virtually no staff has had contact with Senator Rand Paul.”

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 _PrgDgFA_normal

Senator Rand Paul

✔@RandPaul

· 5h

[ltr]Senator Rand Paul has tested positive for COVID-19. He is feeling fine and is in quarantine. He is asymptomatic and was tested out of an abundance of caution due to his extensive travel and events. He was not aware of any direct contact with any infected person.[/ltr]

Senator Rand Paul

✔@RandPaul

[ltr]He expects to be back in the Senate after his quarantine period ends and will continue to work for the people of Kentucky at this difficult time. Ten days ago, our D.C. office began operating remotely, hence virtually no staff has had contact with Senator Rand Paul.[/ltr]

1:36 PM - Mar 22, 2020

[ltr]

4,274 people are talking about this

[/ltr]

RELATED: Aide to Vice President Mike Pence Is First Known White House Staffer to Test Positive for Coronavirus
Seung Min Kim, a White House reporter from The Washington Post, claimed on Twitter Sunday, “During the Senate GOP lunch today, Moran told colleagues that Rand was at the gym this morning, per two sources briefed on the lunch, and that he was swimming in the pool. Rand got his COVID-19 results back this morning.“
CNN correspondent Phil Mattingly also tweeted about senators telling CNN that Paul was in the gym Sunday morning.
However, the senator’s staff called the report “completely false and irresponsible” in a follow-up tweet: “We want to be clear, Senator Paul left the Senate IMMEDIATELY upon learning of his diagnosis. He had zero contact with anyone & went into quarantine. Insinuations such as those below that he went to the gym after learning of his results are just completely false & irresponsible!”

Senator Rand Paul

✔@RandPaul

[ltr]We want to be clear, Senator Paul left the Senate IMMEDIATELY upon learning of his diagnosis. He had zero contact with anyone & went into quarantine. Insinuations such as those below that he went to the gym after learning of his results are just completely false & irresponsible! https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1241799144559251456 …[/ltr]

Seung Min Kim

✔@seungminkim

During the Senate GOP lunch today, Moran told colleagues that Rand was at the gym this morning, per two sources briefed on the lunch, and that he was swimming in the pool. Rand got his COVID-19 results back this morning.

4:12 PM - Mar 22, 2020

[ltr]

8,857 people are talking about this

[/ltr]

Earlier this month, Paul delayed and then voted against the $8 billion bipartisan emergency coronavirus pandemic aid bill, which eventually passed in the Senate.
Paul suffered lung damage in 2017 after his ribs were broken during an altercation with a neighbor. Last year, he had part of his lungs removed in surgery.
RELATED: Vice President Mike Pence and His Wife Karen Pence Test Negative for Coronavirus

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F11%2Frand-paul[url=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/link/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fpolitics%2Frand-paul-tests-positive-for-coronavirus%2F%3Futm_source%3Dpinterest.com%26utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial-share-article%26utm_content%3D20200322%26utm_term%3D7748517&media=https%3A%2F%2Fimagesvc.meredithcorp.io%2Fv3%2Fmm%2Fimage%3Furl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F11%2Frand-paul.jpg&description=Senator Rand Paul%2C Who Delayed Then Voted Against Pandemic Aid%2C Tests Positive for Coronavirus][/url]

Rand Paul

ANDREW HARRER/BLOOMBERG/GETTY IMAGES

Two members of Congress, Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart from Florida and Rep. Ben McAdams from Utah, have already come forward with confirmed cases of COVID-19.
Vice President Mike Pence, his wife Karen, and Ivanka Trump have all tested negative for coronavirus.
As of March 22, there have been at least 29,666 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the United States and 377, according to the New York Times.
As information about the coronavirus pandemic rapidly changes, PEOPLEis committed to providing the most recent data in our coverage. Some of the information in this story may have changed after publication. For the latest on COVID-19, readers are encouraged to use online resources from CDC, WHO, and local public health departments and visit our coronavirus hub.

• By Eric Todisco@etodisco15

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 23 Mar 2020, 00:06

If he knew enough to get tested, he should have known enough to self-isolate while he waited for the test results. Totally irresponsible behavior from someone who should know better. I wonder how many people he infected.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 23 Mar 2020, 00:28

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8140923/Donald-Trump-pledges-send-national-guard-Washington-California-New-York.html

[size=34]Donald Trump pledges to send in the national guard into Washington, California and New York as the hardest hit states are declared disaster zones[/size]

• The disaster declaration will provide federal assistance for both emergency protective measures and crisis counseling in Washington, the White House said

• Trump told reporters Sunday: 'The federal government will be funding 100% of the cost of deploying national guard units to carry out approved missions' 

• He also ordered mobile hospital centers be sent to the three badly hit states 

• Washington gov. Jay Inslee said the federal declaration was appreciated but added it was a 'first step' that doesn't go far enough

• California gov Gavin Newson earlier wrote to Trump asking for help

• New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the federal government 'should order factories to manufacture masks, gowns, and ventilators'

By LAUREN FRUEN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 19:22 EDT, 22 March 2020 | UPDATED: 20:21 EDT, 22 March 2020

Donald Trump on Sunday pledged to send in the national guard into Washington, California and New York, as the hardest hit states were declared disaster zones.
The disaster declaration will provide federal assistance for both emergency protective measures and crisis counseling in Washington, the White House said.  
Trump said Sunday: 'And through (Federal Emergency Management Agency), the federal government will be funding 100 per cent of the cost of deploying national guard units to carry out approved missions to stop the virus while those governors remain in command.
'We'll be following them and we hope they can do the job and I think they will. I spoke with all three of the governors today, just a little while ago and they're very happy with what we're going to be doing.'  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26277108-8140923-image-a-1_1584919058575

+5

President Donald Trump, flanked by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence and FEMA Administrator Pete Gaynor, speaks during a news conference, on Sunday 
[size=10][size=18]Trump approves National Guard for 3 hard-hit coronavirus states

L
[/size][/size]

Washington gov. Jay Inslee said the federal declaration was appreciated but added it was a 'first step' that doesn't go far enough. Health officials there reported at least 95 coronavirus deaths in Washington state and nearly 2,000 confirmed cases Sunday.
In a statement Inslee said 'today's declaration does not unlock many forms of federal assistance we have requested to help workers and families who are badly hurting. 
'We will continue working with our federal partners to deliver the full suite of disaster assistance that is sorely needed in our state, such as expanded unemployment benefits for workers who lose their paychecks as a result of the COVID-19 crisis.'
Trump also said Sunday he'd ordered the Federal Emergency Management Agency to ship mobile hospital centers to the hard-hit states of Washington, California and New York amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The president said FEMA will also provide thousands of hospital beds to New York, Califnoria and Washington plus dozens of medical stations which will be with the states in 48 hours.
Two naval hospitals - one the east and west coast - will also be used. 
Trump said Sunday: 'I'm a wartime president. This is a war — a different kind of war than we've ever had.' 
He added: 'We're sort of a backup for states.' 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26277104-8140923-image-m-15_1584920635219

+5

New York City Grand Central Station pictured Sunday amid the coronavirus outbreak
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26277066-8140923-image-a-14_1584920630174

+5

A man wearing a face mask walks across the street in San Francisco on Friday, a day after California's Governor Gavin Newsom implemented a statewide 'stay at home order' directing the state's nearly 40 million residents to stay in their homes for the foreseeable future 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26277084-8140923-image-a-13_1584920622636

+5

A worker at Life Care Center in Kirkland wears a mask as she leaves the facility Friday evening. The nursing home has been at the center of the outbreak of the new coronavirus in Washington

California gov. Gavin Newsom has earlier written to Trump asking that the state be declared a 'major disaster'.
He said: 'Unfortunately, California has been disproportionately impacted by COVID-19. 
'Besides California being home to nearly 40 million people, which itself poses significant logistical issues few other states face, California partnered with the federal government in several extremely complex and challenging repatriation missions, which strained California's resources and impacted California's healthcare delivery system.'  
There were more than 33,000 cases across the U.S. and more than 400 deaths. New York state accounted for 117 deaths, mostly in New York City.
On Sunday, New York passed Washington state, the initial epicenter of the U.S. outbreak, in the number of fatal cases. 
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo had said earlier: 'I think the federal government should order factories to manufacture masks, gowns, ventilators, the essential medical equipment that is going to make the difference between life and death.'  
Cuomo has told hospitals to figure out ways to increase their current beds by at least 50% because predictions from health officials are that COVID-19 cases needing advanced medical care will top 100,000 in New York state in the next month or so. Such a deluge could overwhelm hospitals in a city that has about 53,000 beds.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26275286-8140923-image-a-4_1584919104344
Hospitals started to feel the crush Sunday, creating emergency room overflows and dedicating COVID-19 wings, with officials in Brooklyn saying a number were becoming overwhelmed.
Health care workers said they were being asked to reuse and ration disposable masks and gloves. 
For most people, the coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. 
For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia, or death. The vast majority of people recover.
Washington also announced that all state campgrounds would be closed until April 30.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 23 Mar 2020, 01:28

I worry about the untold numbers of children at home with abusive or neglectful parents, who now don't have school, friends, or social services to escape to.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 23 Mar 2020, 02:33

Sadly there are no easy solutions to all the problems this crisis is causing. People who might ordinarily step in to help- not just children, but the home-bound and the homeless - are either afraid or unable to do much.

The only way to stop this thing seems to be isolating everyone until those who are infected and their contacts can be identified and quarantined until they're healthy again. I don't think we're doing a very good job of it.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 23 Mar 2020, 02:43

Yes, and on top of all their other problems, the homeless population is going to be the last and most resistant reservoir of this plague.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 23 Mar 2020, 10:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL-H0h9Pi_A

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 23 Mar 2020, 10:40

[size=34]NRA posts video of disabled cancer survivor urging people to stockpile weapons amid coronavirus pandemic as Democrats call it 'sickening'[/size]

• The National Rifle Association released a video showing a disabled woman with a semi-automatic firearm warning of politicians who might 'exploit' the pandemic

• Breast cancer survivor Carletta Whiting who is also disabled  features in a four-minute video posted to Twitter on Saturday afternoon

• She said her health makes her vulnerable to coronavirus and needs to be armed

• Democratic Senator Chris Murphy called the video 'sickening'

• Murphy accused the NRA of using insecurities people felt over the coronavirus as a way to encourage the stockpiling of guns 

• The NRA in return said the crisis could be used by Democrats in a way to try and curb American's Second Amendment (gun) rights 

By JAMES GORDON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 20:18 EDT, 22 March 2020 | UPDATED: 03:51 EDT, 23 March 2020

The National Rifle Association has been branded 'sickening' by Democrats after the gun rights organization published a video encouraging people to stockpile weapons amid the coronavirus pandemic. 
The four-minute long video features breast-cancer survivor Carletta Whiting who is also disabled. 
During the course of the video she speaks of her worry that the government will eventually 'lose control' and not be able to protect individual citizens, and urges people to arm themselves. 
In Whiting's video, she argues that just stocking up with food will not be enough. 
'I know from history how quickly society breaks down during a crisis, and we've never faced anything like this before, and never is the Second Amendment more important than during public unrest. 
'What's in my control is how I defend myself if things go from bad to worse,' Whiting states in the alarming video. 
[size=10][size=18]NRA releases ad featuring disabled woman amid coronavirus outbreak

L
[/size][/size]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26276688-8140881-image-a-51_1584921193699

+3

The National Rifle Association released a video showing a disabled woman with a semi-automatic firearm warning of politicians who might 'exploit' the pandemic
Senator Chris Murphy, a Democrat from Connecticut said it was 'sickening' that the NRA was urging gun-owners to not only stockpile food but weapons as well.  
'Mainstream gun owners have left the NRA, so now they're reduced to telling people to stockpile assault weapons, instead of food, to get ready for the coming Coronavirus civil war,' Murphy tweeted. 'So sickening.'
The NRA was quick to respond and declared Murphy's attack to be part of Democrats efforts to strip Americans of their gun rights.

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26276694-8140881-image-a-40_1584920940352

+3

Democratic Senator Chris Murphy called the video 'sickening'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26277432-8140881-image-a-42_1584920954751

Murphy accused the NRA of using insecurities people felt over the coronavirus as a way to encourage the stockpiling of guns
'Sen. Murphy is either being intentionally disingenuous or is obtuse,' the NRA's director of media relations, Amy Hunter, told Fox News. 'Carletta Whiting is one of millions of Americans who feel vulnerable and who know that when crime happens, the police are minutes away — despite their best intentions.
'Right now, anti-gun politicians are using the pandemic to try and strip Americans of their Second Amendment rights,' Hunter said. 'Meanwhile, gun sales are increasing because good people are worried their government won't be able to protect them. This is when Americans rely on their Second Amendment rights the most.'
The NRA video showcases other instances when during times of crisis state governments have sought to restrict gun rights such as in New Orleans during hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26276684-8140881-image-m-50_1584921126853

+3

The NRA's video showcased a number of incidents in recent history where society was on a crisis footing and people relied on their weapons for protection, such as hurricane Katrina
 Whiting is seen in the video firing rounds from her AR-9 rifle.   
In an attempt by the NRA to appeal to Democrats, Whiting tells how 'even liberals in California are lining up because they know the government will not be able to protect them.' 
The numbers of American's buying guns ammunition and body armor appears to have had a sharp increase since the coronavirus became a concern. 
In March, the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check (NICS) which is checked every time someone attempts to purchase a firearm was said to have seen three times more checks compared to the same time last year.  
Agencies in Colorado and Virginia say they have had almost double the number of background checks being carried out due to gun purchases compared to 2019, according to Fox News. 

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 23 Mar 2020, 12:53

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8141971/Beijings-leading-doctor-warns-new-coronavirus-outbreak-China.html

[size=34]Beijing's leading doctor warns of a NEW coronavirus outbreak in China after the country reported its first case of someone 'catching the illness from a person returning from abroad'[/size]

• China's coronavirus expert said she was 'very worried' about a second outbreak

• She warned surging number of imported cases could trigger another epidemic 

• Guangzhou yesterday reported a domestic case in relation to an imported case 

• The man fell ill after having close contact with a woman returning from Turkey

By TRACY YOU FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 06:35 EDT, 23 March 2020 | UPDATED: 08:40 EDT, 23 March 2020

One of China's top coronavirus experts has warned that the nation is facing a second outbreak due to the increasing number of infections detected among new arrivals from abroad.
Professor Li Lanjuan, a member of Beijing's expert team on the virus, said she was 'very worried that imported cases could trigger another large-scale epidemic in our country'.
Her comment came after health officials reported the country's first case of someone who is believed to have contracted the disease, known as COVID-19, from another person returning from abroad.
It also came as life in former epicentre Wuhan is slowly returning to normal following a two-month draconian lockdown.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26290548-8141971-image-a-2_1584959062783

+5

Professor Li Lanjuan (pictured), a member of Beijing's expert team on the virus, said she was 'very worried that imported cases could trigger another large-scale epidemic in our country'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26290656-8141971-image-a-3_1584959145810

+5

Her comment comes after the city of Guangzhou reported the country's first native coronavirus case 'related to an imported case' yesterday. The above picture shows medical staff treating COVID-19 coronavirus patients at a hospital in Wuhan on March 19

Prof Li, 73, told China News today that the control and prevention of imported cases was an 'arduous' task for medical workers. 
She said: 'This requires us to continue to intensify our efforts and work tirelessly to prevent the coronavirus pneumonia epidemic from spreading in other cities.'
Prof Li has led her medical team to fight the virus in Wuhan for more than 50 days.
She told reporters in Wuhan: 'Cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hangzhou have frequent international communications. [I am] very worried that imported cases could trigger another large-scale epidemic in our country.'
She also demanded officials identify those who were struck down by the virus but have not been officially diagnosed. She warned that they could re-ignite the epidemic.
Doctors in Guangzhou, the provincial capital of Guangdong, have diagnosed a coronavirus patient who fell ill after having close contact with a person entering China from Turkey.
This is the first coronavirus case in the country with a direct link to an imported case. The Guangzhou Municipal Health Commission called it 'a case related to an imported case' in a statement yesterday. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26290774-8141971-image-a-4_1584959302379

+5

Doctors in Guangzhou have diagnosed a coronavirus patient who fell ill after having close contact with a person entering China from Turkey. Pictured, a man wearing a protective mask sits in his shop selling traditional Chinese medicine supplies in Guangzhou on March 17

Bing Privacy Policy

The 54-year-old man, known by his surname Jin, experienced muscle pain and a lack of strength on March 17. He was hospitalised on March 20 with a slight fever and tested positive the next day.
Mr Jin was a close contact with another confirmed case, 34-year-old Ms Lin, who stayed in Istanbul from January 22 to March 8 on a business trip.
Ms Lin flew back to Guangzhou on March 9 via Bangkok. She did not show any symptoms upon entering the country and stayed at home most of the time afterwards.
She was diagnosed on March 21 after the city's infectious disease authority gave her a test.
People's Daily, the mouthpiece of China's Communist Party, warned of the emergence of Mr Jin's case.
In explaining its significance, the newspaper quoted health experts from Guangzhou and said: 'Cases related to imported cases are the second-generation cases brought in from abroad. It means the close contacts of [the imported cases] have been transmitted and fallen ill.' 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26290836-8141971-image-a-9_1584959466981

+5

China reported no new local cases today but confirmed another 39 infections brought from overseas. Pictured, people wear masks as they walk at Ritan Park in Beijing on March 22
The official outlet urged all cities to put those arriving from virus-hit countries under 14-day mandatory quarantine even if they don't show symptoms. Those arriving from other countries should self-isolate for two weeks, the paper said.
Chinese health officials today reported no new local cases of the deadly virus but confirmed another 39 infections brought from overseas.
Worldwide, more than 14,740 people have been killed by the contagion and over 340,000 people have been infected.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 23 Mar 2020, 13:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKgq0rnIR7g

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 23 Mar 2020, 13:33

Looks like fauci got into trouble for admitting he has to explain to trump several times before he gets it. He wasn't at the briefing last night. 

I think he simply wants to tell the truth and we all know Trump can't stand that.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 23 Mar 2020, 15:56

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8142733/De-Blasio-says-NYC-hospitals-run-supplies-week.html

[size=34]Gov. Cuomo tells people to 'settle in' and 'deal with' to quarantine that will last 'several months' as he drafts ALL retired nurses to 'enlist' to battle coronavirus after NYC numbers rise to 12,000[/size]

• Governor Andrew Cuomo told New Yorkers to get used to their new reality on Monday that would last months

• There are now more than 20,000 cases of coronavirus in the state of New York; 12,000 in New York City 

• Cuomo is starting a trial with an anti-body drug he's hopeful about this week as well as using malaria drugs 

• He said while the numbers continue to rise, the death toll is low - of the 20,000 cases, 157 people have died 

• There is now a frantic scramble for hospital equipment, personnel and space to house the people infected

• NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio said New York's hospitals will run out of supplies in less than seven days  

• President Trump said on Sunday he was sending ventilators and masks but not enough is arriving fast enough

• In the US, there are now more than 39,000 cases of the virus and more than 400 people have died  

By JENNIFER SMITH FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 10:36 EDT, 23 March 2020 | UPDATED: 11:49 EDT, 23 March 2020

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo told Americans to 'settle in' to quarantining on Monday as he warned the current crisis would last 'several' months and drafted all retired nurses in his state to 'enlist'in the fight against coronavirus. 
It came as the number of cases of coronavirus in New York City alone rose to 12,000, an increase of more than 3,000 overnight. 
The governor predicted the current crisis would last 'several months' more, doing away with any notion that it might be over in two weeks, as a tweet from President Trump on Sunday night suggested. 
Cuomo, while telling people to try to find the 'silver lining' in the situation that they'd have more time to spend with family, said New York was working on preventative measures. 
Tomorrow, the state's doctors will start using anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine to treat patients. 
Scroll down for video 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26301936-8142733-image-a-26_1584978221170

+7

NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo said on Monday that people had to 'deal with the reality' they now face and 'settle in' to self-isolating for 'several months' 
They are also launching a trial later this week to inject seriously ill people with coronavirus anti-bodies in the hope that it will boost their immune systems. 
Cuomo is also taking under advisement the argument that only the most vulnerable must isolate and allow younger, healthier people, to return to work.  
There are now more than 20,000 cases in the state of New York, including 12,000 in the city of New York. 
More tests are being done in New York than in any other state in the US and testing rates have now surpassed those of South Korea, Cuomo said. 

In one night, 16,000 tests were done. That is why the number of positive cases is sky-rocketing. 
Of the 20,000 plus cases identified in the state, 157 people have died. 
Cuomo said the figures were encouraging: 'Many will get infected but few will actually pass away from this disease. This is all evolving and this is all evolutionary - there has to be a balance or parallel tracks that we're going down,' he said. 
The governor has also issued a call to action for all retired, registered nurses to come back to work, and he is mandating that hospitals increase their capacity by at least 50 percent. He wants them to aim to double it. 
Thirteen percent of the 20,000 cases of cases in the state are people who have had to be hospitalized. Twenty-four percent of the hospitalizations - nearly a quarter - are in ICU. 
The state currently has 53,000 hospital beds, including 3,000. It needs 110,000 beds and between 18,000 and 37,000 ICU beds. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26300000-8142733-image-a-36_1584978330150

+7

There are now several states in lockdown including New York which has the highest number of cases by far 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26294544-8142733-image-a-39_1584978436750

+7

A man crosses an abandoned intersection in Sunnyside, Queens, on Sunday as New Yorkers followed the 'stay at home' guidance 
The Army Corps of Engineers is building hospital beds to go up in existing hospitals and make-shift facilities, like one that is being built at the Javits Center. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26294828-8142733-Trump_said_on_Sunday_night_that_he_would_reassess_the_situation_-a-37_1584978428654

Trump said on Sunday night that he would reassess the situation in 15 days 
Medical supplies are also being distributed throughout the state on Monday. 
Cuomo has sent out 440,000 masks, 176,000 pairs of gloves, 72,000 gowns, 92,000 face shields and 169,000 N-95 masks.
Cuomo also echoed other state and local leaders slamming President Trump for now enacting the Defense Production Act which would order private businesses to produce certain items needed to combat the crisis.
Instead, states are having to bid against each other and against the federal government - in addition to foreign governments - for the remaining supplies on the world's market.  
'California offers $4, I offer $5, another state piles in and offers $6. It's not the way to do it. Why are we competing? Let the federal government put in place the federal defense act. All it does is say to a factory, you must produce this quantity. 
'It cant just be, "hey who wants to help?
'Let me know." we need to know who is going to produce and when. That's a beautiful thing but you can't run this operation that way - it can't just be based on we're waiting for people to come forward on offers.
'Yes, it's the government telling private businesses what to do. So what? This is a national emergency. You're paying them. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26297526-8142733-Bill_de_Blasio_on_Monday_said_that_New_York_City_would_run_out_o-a-25_1584978046244

+7

Bill de Blasio on Monday said that New York City would run out of supplies and ventilators within a week 
'You cannot continue to do these supplies on an ad-hoc basis.' 
Cuomo said he knew isolation would be difficult for people but he urged them to stay 'socially distant' and 'spiritually connected'. 
'Deal with this reality. Understand the negative effects of this. 
'These are personally negative effects. Don't underestimate the emotional trauma and pain of isolation. It is real. 
'This is not the human condition  - not to be comforted, close to be afraid and you can't hug someone. Billy and Steve walked in today, i hadn't seen them in months, i can't shake their hands, I can't hug them. 
'This is all unnatural.' 
It came after Mayor Bill de Blasio warned that New York City hospitals were less than a week away from running out of supplies on Monday as the city continued to battle coronavirus and became the 'epicenter' of the pandemic in the US.   
The city needs ventilators and protective personal equipment for doctors and nurses to ensure they can treat people without becoming infected themselves.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26297536-8142733-An_outdoor_testing_facility_at_St_Barnabas_Hospital_in_the_Bronx-a-22_1584977625114

+7

An outdoor testing facility at St Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx on March 20 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26297542-8142733-The_National_Guard_has_been_deployed_in_New_York_to_help_deal_wi-a-24_1584977625134

+7

The National Guard has been deployed in New York to help deal with the crisis 

[size=34]SURGEON GENERAL WARNS: IT'S IS GOING TO GET BAD THIS WEEK[/size]

The Surgeon General has urged the nation to 'come together' to fight coronavirus and warned: 'This week, it's going to get bad' in a plea to the public to stay indoors and stop spreading the deadly disease.
Dr. Jerome Adams appeared on Today on Monday morning to tell young Americans who are still going out and socializing despite being warned to stay indoors and distance themselves by 6ft.
He fumed over the number of people still going out in large groups and referred to the shocking number of crowds he saw in Washington DC via a webcam set up for people to virtually enjoy the famous cherry blossom blooms.
'I want America to understand. This week, it's going to get bad. We really need to come together as a nation. You're seeing young people out in beaches - here in DC.
'The district set up a cam to watch the cherry blossoms. You look on the cam and you see more people than cherry blossoms. This is how the spread is occurring.
'We really, really need everyone to stay at home. I think there are a lot of people who are doing the right thing. But unfortunately we're finding out a lot of people think this can't happen to them.
Dr. Adams said the US demography is younger than other countries. Nearly 30 percent of the cases were among people under the age of 45.
'The demography seems to be very different in the US versus in other countries. There are theories that it could be because we know we have a higher proportion of people in the US and also in Italy who vape - we don't know if that's the only cause.
'It's important for people to know: You can get this disease, you can be hospitalized from this disease, you can die from this disease.
'Most importantly, you can spread it to your loved ones.'
Dr. Adams' warning came as Tom Bossert, former national security adviser, predicted that New York City's cases will continue to increase for the next six weeks.
He believes the worst spike will come in the next two weeks.
‘France, Spain, GB and US are now all on the same epidemic curve.
'Pretty soon he US will become the leader because of its size in terms of reported cases and that will be a terrifying day – what I’m trying to communicate to people is that while NY is bad, the rest of the country can’t take a breath.
'We’ve got a six week growth curve in NYC, the next 2 weeks will be the most aggressive multiples of 10 potentially.'

On Monday morning, de Blasio pleaded with the federal government to send help fast, and warned people would begin dying who could otherwise be saved if reinforcements did not arrive soon.
'We can only get through this week if we don't get some relief quickly. We will get to a point where people can't be saved who could have been saved. 
'New York City will have more than it can handle within seven days.
'It's moving so fast. Even a few days ago I thought we could safely get into April... now I can't even say that. 
'If we don't get ventilators this week, we are going to start losing lives we could have saved,' he warned. 
Trump said on Sunday that ventilators and vital supplies were on their way to New York City and that the national guard had been mobilized to help. 
Gov. Andrew Cuomo has already told of plans to turn the city's unused public venues into field hospitals. 
De Blasio, who has been more frantic in his pleas for help since the pandemic began, said on Monday that he would accept a ventilator from 'anyone' who has one. 
'Anyone in the USA who has a ventilator that you can get to NYC, we need it now - I will take any help from anywhere,' he said. 
There has been uproar over President Trump's handling of the crisis, particularly in his delay of enacting the Defense Production Act. 
Trump says he's using it but governors and mayors say otherwise. 
They claim they are being forced to bid against the federal government and foreign countries to get their hands on the ventilators they need, and that there is a pattern of 'disgusting' price gouging which hinders them. 
De Blasio echoed the Surgeon General Jerome Adams' earlier comment that the situation was going to become worse before it gets better. 
'This week is going to be worse than the following week. 
'I mean we have to be honest about this. 
'This is just the beginning and I don’t mean that to be anything but blunt and honest with New Yorkers and all Americans. 
'It’s the beginning of something that will get worse throughout April and into May and we’ve got to brace ourselves and we’ve got to change our lives and we absolutely need help from Washington,' he said. 
De Blasio said the number of beds that will be erected in places like the Javits Center - a sprawling expo center - was 'encouraging'. 
'I think it could be absolutely crucial because we're at a point literally this week where our public system, the largest in the country, is getting increasingly stressed and running out of equipment. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26297740-8142733-The_Javits_Center_in_New_York_City_is_to_become_a_field_hospital-a-23_1584977625116

+7

The Javits Center in New York City is to become a field hospital with at least 1,000 beds 
'So, that operation at the Javits Center could be a lifesaver for us. We expect to see a lot of that up and running this week.' 
Gov. Cuomo said he would also turn some CUNY and SUNY campuses into hospitals. 
The USNS Comfort, a Navy hospital ship with capacity for 1,000 people, is due to dock in the city in the coming weeks. 
It will not cater to coronavirus patients but will take in others requiring hospital care in order to free up beds in the hospitals. 
New York City closed its bars and restaurants last Monday night. The state has since issued a stay-at-home order which applies to all non-essential workers. 
It is a move that is crippling the economy but is vital to preventing the virus from spreading.  
De Blasio said on Monday that it was necessary because the 'human cost' of not trying to stop the virus was unfathomable. 
'How many members of our family, especially our older relatives, who are the people, you know, really vulnerable here – are we simply saying as a nation we're going to turn away and ignore the challenges facing them? I don't think that's right. 
'I think we have to understand that if we act intensely, we can save thousands, tens of thousands of lives all over this country and stop this thing from becoming even more total and more intense.
'And we have to recognize, if coronavirus was not checked in some ways and slowed then you're talking about a health care system that can't function at all, including for all the people with other challenges, with all the other health care challenges we deal with all the time. 
'So I understand people who say, you know, wow, this is an extraordinary sacrifice. It is. 
'But if you don't slow this thing down, they’ll sacrifice a lot more on the other end of the equation and we got to think about the human cost here,' he said.

NYC schools go online as the city battles coronavirus 
In a whirlwind week, teachers came up with digital versions of everything from high-school English discussions to kindergarten gym classes, city officials scrambled to find laptops for students in need, and parents grappled with how they would keep kids' attention on schoolwork.
The New York City school system, the nation's largest with 1.1 million students, is taking the plunge into online education on Monday, joining districts around the U.S. in an unplanned, unprecedented test of virtual teaching during the coronavirus shutdowns.
Among the many wondering just what it will look like is Wilson Almonor, a junior who traveled an hour from his Bronx home to his Manhattan high school Thursday to try to get a loaner laptop. He left empty-handed, though he said he was told he´d get a call this week about a loaner tablet.
'I'm not used to online classes. I don´t know if it´s going to really help me,' said Almonor, who is concerned about keeping up with his Advanced Placement classes and staying on track to graduate, and about how he´ll ask questions of teachers in the digital cloud.
Plus, 'when we are in school, we´re learning but we're also having fun'  said Almonor, who arrived from Haiti in 2018 to join his mother, who works with the elderly.
Virtual school - sometimes known by 'distance learning' or other terms - has existed for decades.
But it´s far from ubiquitous in U.S. schools because of digital inequities among students, concerns about implications for teachers, and other factors.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 23 Mar 2020, 15:59

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8142445/Surgeon-General-warns-going-bad-urges-Americans-come-together.html

[size=34]'It's going to get bad': Surgeon General urges Americans to 'come together as a nation' to fight coronavirus as former national security adviser says New York's numbers will continue to grow for 6 WEEKS - and the next 2 weeks will be the worst spike[/size]

• Dr. Jerome Adams on Monday pleaded with people who are not taking the virus seriously to stay inside 

• He said New York City's numbers - where there are 5,000 cases - reflect 'what happened two weeks ago' 

• The only way to stop other cities like Dallas, New Orleans or Chicago from following suit is to practice mitigation now, he said

• Tom Bossert, former national security adviser, thinks New York City's numbers will continue to rise for six weeks and spike aggressively in the next two weeks   

• America now has more than 35,000 cases of coronavirus and 471 people have died as a result of it 

• President Trump has resisted a national quarantine, saying not all states are as badly affected as others 

• He suggested on Sunday night that the 'cure' 

By JENNIFER SMITH FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 08:39 EDT, 23 March 2020 | UPDATED: 11:47 EDT, 23 March 2020

The Surgeon General has urged the nation to 'come together' to fight coronavirus and warned: 'This week, it's going to get bad' in a plea to the public to stay indoors and stop spreading the deadly disease. 
Dr. Jerome Adams appeared on Today on Monday morning to tell young Americans who are still going out and socializing despite being warned to stay indoors and distance themselves by 6ft. 
He fumed over the number of people still going out in large groups and referred to the shocking number of crowds he saw in Washington DC via a webcam set up for people to virtually enjoy the famous cherry blossom blooms.  
'I want America to understand. This week, it's going to get bad. We really need to come together as a nation. You're seeing young people out in beaches - here in DC.
'The district set up a cam to watch the cherry blossoms. You look on the cam and you see more people than cherry blossoms. This is how the spread is occurring. 
'We really, really need everyone to stay at home. I think there are a lot of people who are doing the right thing. But unfortunately we're finding out a lot of people think this can't happen to them.' 
Scroll down for video
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26294380-8142445-Dr_Jerome_Adams_appeared_on_Today_on_Monday_morning_to_tell_youn-a-33_1584967429450

+8

Dr. Jerome Adams appeared on Today on Monday morning to tell young Americans who are still going out and socializing despite being warned to stay indoors and distance themselves by 6ft
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26300000-8142445-image-a-5_1584974090427

+8

Dr. Adams said the US demography is younger than other countries. Nearly 30 percent of the cases were among people under the age of 45. 
'The demography seems to be very different in the US versus in other countries. There are theories that it could be because we know we have a higher proportion of people in the US and also in Italy who vape - we don't know if that's the only cause. 
'It's important for people to know: You can get this disease, you can be hospitalized from this disease, you can die from this disease.
'Most importantly, you can spread it to your loved ones.

'We need you to really lean in. That's why I reached out and I want to give a shoutout to Kylie Jenner who really stepped up last week and sent out a message,' he said. 
Dr. Adams also said the figures in New York - where there are more than 5,000 cases of the virus, more than five percent of the total cases in the world - reflect 'what happens two weeks ago'. 
'We don't want Dallas or New Orleans or Chicago to turn into the next New York and it means everyone needs to be taking the right steps right now and it means stay at home.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26300404-8142445-image-a-8_1584974835921

+8

Despite warnings from the government to stay inside or 6ft away from people at all times, many people went to view the famous cherry blossom bloom in DC over the weekend 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26294738-8142445-image-a-34_1584967429451

+8

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26294730-8142445-There_are_now_more_than_35_200_cases_of_the_virus_in_the_US_and_-a-36_1584967429519

+8

There are now more than 35,200 cases of the virus in the US and 471 people have died 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26294558-8142445-The_majority_of_New_York_City_is_following_the_rules_and_staying-a-39_1584967429668

+8

The majority of New York City is following the rules and staying at home. Time's Square is shown on Sunday
'It means our 15 days initiative was really based on the fact that when it came out a week ago, we were two weeks behind Italy.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26294434-8142445-Tom_Bossert_former_national_security_adviser_said_on_Sunday_New_-a-38_1584967429604

+8

Tom Bossert, former national security adviser, said on Sunday New York's cases would continue to rise for six weeks
'We really hoped to instill a sense of urgency in America,' he said. 
Dr. Adams' warning came as Tom Bossert, former national security adviser, predicted that New York City's cases will continue to increase for the next six weeks. 
He believes the worst spike will come in the next two weeks.
‘France, Spain, GB and US are now all on the same epidemic curve.
'Pretty soon he US will become the leader because of its size in terms of reported cases and that will be a terrifying day – what I’m trying to communicate to people is that while NY is bad, the rest of the country can’t take a breath.
'We’ve got a six week growth curve in NYC, the next 2 weeks will be the most aggressive multiples of 10 potentially.'
As of Sunday night, there were more than 35,000 cases of the virus in the US and 471 people had died. 
In New York City, there are more than 5,000 cases 117 have died.     
Their forecasts are less optimistic than President Trump's Twitter suggestion that the current state of crisis could be over in 15 days. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26294828-8142445-Trump_said_on_Sunday_night_that_he_would_reassess_the_situation_-a-1_1584967967487

Trump said on Sunday night that he would reassess the situation in 15 days 
The president on Sunday night tweeted: 'WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF.
'AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!' 
It prompted many to ask whether the lockdown that some states were experiencing would be over in 15 days. 
Health experts have long said that the virus will take much longer to stunt. Trump has resisted a national lock down, saying there is no need for it because many states are 'unaffected'. 
There is at least one case of the virus in every state in the country and there has been for around a week.  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26294814-8142445-Medical_personnel_at_a_drive_thru_facility_in_Illinois_on_Sunday-a-35_1584967429506

+8

Medical personnel at a drive-thru facility in Illinois on Sunday. The healthcare system is being overwhelmed 

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 23 Mar 2020, 16:02

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8141949/Young-children-babies-NOT-safe-coronavirus.html

[size=34]Young children and babies are NOT safe from the coronavirus: Doctors warn ALL patients can be infected as 12-year-old in the US is left fighting for her life on a ventilator[/size]

• Experts have been hammering it home that young people are 'not invincible'

• Data from China shows many children end up hospitalised, but none have died

• Yesterday it was revealed an 18-year-old in England had died of COVID-19

• It follows warnings from other family members of young coronavirus patients 

By VANESSA CHALMERS HEALTH REPORTER FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 08:09 EDT, 23 March 2020 | UPDATED: 10:44 EDT, 23 March 2020

View comments

Young children and babies are not safe from the coronavirus that has gripped the world with fear, doctors have warned.
Experts say the highly contagious infection can still spread between children and youngsters – even though the elderly are most at risk.
And they warn the life-threatening illness may cause unusual symptoms in children, such as stomach aches. The tell-tale symptoms are a cough and fever. 
A study in China, where the outbreak began in December, found that almost one in ten patients in the country were under the age of 30.
Even babies have been known to get the virus, which can kill people by causing pneumonia and putting stress on organs.
World Health Organization chiefs have said young people are 'not invincible' and could end up in hospital 'for weeks'. 
It comes after it was revealed yesterday that an 18-year-old coronavirus patient from England had become the UK's youngest victim. 
The teenager, one of the 281 deaths reported in the UK, had an underlying health condition – but officials refused to reveal what it was.  
Elsewhere, a man in Atlanta revealed his 12-year-old cousin is fighting for her life on a ventilator after testing positive for COVID-19.
And a mother from Cardiff told of the 'very distressing' experience watching her six-month-old baby boy battle a fever after catching the virus from his father.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26293454-8141949-image-a-1_1584964681790

+5

Young children and babies are not safe from the coronavirus that has gripped the world with fear, doctors have warned. Pictured, a child in a face mask in Italy 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26296438-8141949-image-a-19_1584969227609

+5

A study in China , where the outbreak began in December, found that almost one in ten patients in the country were under the age of 30
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26272088-8140445-image-a-71_1584905452354

+5

Justin Anthony, from Atlanta, revealed his 12-year-old cousin is fighting for her life on a ventilator after testing positive for COVID-19
Medical experts have stressed that older people and those with underlying health conditions are at greater risk of falling seriously ill from the virus. 
Their bodies are already weaker due to age or a impaired immune system, and therefore find it more difficult to fight off the virus.   
But it doesn't leave children and younger people free to continue their lives as normal, with experts constantly reminding them that they must comply with social distancing measures.

3.2k shares
Scientists have suggested that children are just as likely as adults to become infected with the virus.

WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT THE AGES OF CORONAVIRUS PATIENTS WHO GET INFECTED? 

Chinese health officials carried out the biggest ever study on the never-before-seen strain of the virus, using data from 72,000 cases.
Results showed the SARS-CoV-2 virus posed the greatest threat to older patients and those with underlying conditions, such as cancer and heart disease. It also revealed the exact breakdown of the cases that had been confirmed.
Scientists broke down the percentage of patients within each category using data of 44,672 cases with known ages.
10-19
20-29
30-39
40-49
50-59
60-69
70-79
80+ 
CASES (%)
416 (0.9%)
549 (1.2%)
3,619 (8.1%)
7,600 (17.0%) 
8,571 (19.2%)
10,008 (22.4%)
8,583 (19.2%)
3,918 (8.8%) 
1,408 (3.2%) 
And what about deaths? 
10-19
20-29
30-39
40-49
50-59
60-69
70-79
80+ 
DEATHS (%)
0 (0.0%)
1 (0.1%)
7 (0.7%)
18 (1.8%) 
38 (3.7%)
130 (12.7%)
309 (30.2%)
312 (30.5%) 
208 (20.3%) 

They are less likely to be develop symptoms which leave them very unwell - which was also true in the SARS and MERS epidemics. 
This could be for a number of reasons, including that a child's immune cells may be more active and resilient, compared to an adults more aged immune system  which may not detect the virus as quickly.  
There is evidence from China that the virus affects them differently, which may mean cases go undetected. 
Young people could also be carriers of the disease without showing any signs, passing it to other people - potentially those at risk - without even knowing it. 
It isn't impossible for youngsters to become so unwell they are hospitalised, and the message has been made abundantly clear as the pandemic worsens. 
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on March 20: 'Although older people are hardest hit, younger people are not spared. 
'Data from many countries clearly show that people under 50 make up a significant proportion of patients requiring hospitalization.
'Today I have a message for young people: You are not invincible, this virus could put you in hospital for weeks or even kill you.
'Even if you don’t get sick the choices you make about where you go could be the difference between life and death for someone else.' 
Dr Petra Zimmerman, of the University of Fribourg, Switzerland, summarised available evidence on coronavirus infections in children earlier this month. 
Dr Zimmerman and colleagues said: 'There is some suggestion that children are just as likely as adults to become infected with the virus but are less likely to be unwell or develop severe symptoms.
'However, the importance of children in transmitting the virus remains uncertain.
'Most infected children recover one to two weeks after the onset of symptoms.'
Children infected with COVID-19 had typically been in contact with someone else diagnosed in their home, the researchers report in The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26291510-8141949-image-a-2_1584961129297

+5

Scientists have suggested that children are just as likely as adults to become infected with the virus. Pictured, a girl wearing a face mask during a dance lesson in Russia, March 22
They may be more likely to develop gastrointestinal symptoms, such as diarrhoea or a stomach ache.
Data from China, where most patient research into COVID-19 is emerging, suggests that as many as 10 per cent of patients are under the age of 30. 

WHY ARE YOUNG PEOPLE AT RISK OF CATCHING THE VIRUS? 

People of all ages can be infected by the new coronavirus, scientists have said.
Everyone, no matter what their age, health status or race, is at risk of catching the virus. Therefore young people - including children and babies - may catch the infection. 
But there are some people who are more vulnerable to serious symptoms and even death. They are the elderly and those with pre-existing health conditions, such as asthma and diabetes. 
With a new virus such as that which causes COVID-19, nobody has the immune cells needed to fight it. 
When the body is faced with a new infection, it builds an immune response that can be activated the next time they become infected. 
But the body is not ready for the coronavirus, if it invades. This means anyone can get sick, even if they may appear healthy or go through every winter without being affected by flu or the common cold. 
The World Health Organization advises people of all ages to take steps to protect themselves from the virus, for example by following good hand hygiene. 

An analysis of 44,672 patients across the whole country showed that 1.2 per cent were aged 10-19 years old and 0.9 per cent were under the age of 10.
It may sound like a small proportion, but it equates to 549 10-19 year olds, and 416 under 10 year olds.
The February data, published in the journal JAMA, showed that children and adolescents accounted for two percent of hospitalisations. However there were no deaths.
Data for infections and deaths per age bracket is not available in the UK yet because the epidemic is still in its early days.
However the news that an 18-year-old from England had become one of the latest victims of the virus rocked the nation.  
No details were given about the teenager who died at University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire. But NHS England said all of the most recent deaths were people in vulnerable groups, including those with underlying conditions.
Parents globally have been telling their own heartbreaking stories to serve as a warning to others. 
Laura Pearson, from Cardiff, described the 'very distressing' 48 hours during which her six-month-old son Gruff started to fall ill with COVID-19.
Gruff developed a fever of 39 degrees as his parents franticly attempted to get him seen by a doctor.
Mrs Pearson, 35, said: 'My other half started developing symptoms first, in the early hours on Wednesday morning - high temperature, chills, aches and a mild cough.'
On Thursday, Gruff himself began to show coronavirus symptoms of his own. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26267316-8140029-image-a-26_1584890923524

+5

On Thursday, Gruff (pictured) himself began to show coronavirus symptoms of his own

CHILDREN AND VIRUSES: HOW DOES COVID-19 COMPARE?

Viral infections are common among people of all ages but often seem to be concentrated in infants and children. 
Viruses can easily spread when children have close contact with each other, which is likely in places like schools and nurseries.
Children get six to eight viral infections each year, according to University of Bristol.
But most childhood viral infections are nothing to be concerned about. They are not serious and get better without treatment, including colds, ear ache, sore throat, vomiting and diarrhoea, and fever with a rash. 
Some viral illnesses that cause more serious disease, such as measles, are less common now due to  widespread immunisation with vaccines.
But there is not a protective jab for the new coronavirus yet, meaning no one is protected from it. This isn't expected for at least another year to 18 months
It means there is no herd immunity among the population, which is the resistance to the spread of a contagious disease as a result of vaccination or because a high proportion of individuals have been infected with the disease, therefore becoming immune to it. 
Evidence from China suggests that children are most at risk of COVID-19 if they are in a household with someone who has tested positive. 
It suggests protecting children who have been in contact with diagnosed cases, which is also the advice for children within a household where someone has SARS - the 'sister' of the novel coronavirus. 
Experts say a child is more at risk for SARS if they are in an area where SARS is active, or has contact with a person who has SARS. This means living with someone with SARS or kissing, hugging, or sharing cups or eating utensils. 
Doctors advise that a child who has been exposed to SARS - which has not been diagnosed since 2004 - should have their temperature and health watched for 10 days. 
The child should also stay home from school or daycare, wash hands often, and cover their mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, University of Rochester Medical Centre says.

'He developed an on-and-off dry cough, but then began feeling very hot,' Mrs Pearson said.
'I called our GP because I couldn't get through on the NHS 111 helpline and we were told to to monitor his condition via the website whenshouldiworry.com, which was set up by medical researchers at Cardiff University.
'But, as Gruff's temperature hit 39 degrees we even put out a request to friends on Facebook for a new thermometer because we couldn't believe the reading on ours and thought it might be broken,' Mrs Pearson said.
'Gruff was crying in pain and inconsolable - so we rang the out-of-hours GP number and they advised us to go to hospital.'
Also suffering from bloody diarrhoea, which some medics have named as a less-known by-product of COVID-19, Mrs Pearson and her husband took Gruff to the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff.
There they were admitted to a coronavirus triage centre set up at the onsite Noah's Ark Children's Hospital.
'The staff there were great and Gruff was assessed by a very nice doctor behind a face shield and mask. He told us he had all the classic signs of the illness,' Mrs Pearson said.
'We were then told to go home, look after him and self-isolate for two weeks. Now, as both my partner and Gruff seem to be over the worst of it, the biggest danger is that I get it too.'
The freelance communications consultant, who lives in Pontcanna, added: 'Our son went from a happy and alert little boy to very listless and just not himself at all.  
'It was nothing too bad though, so we managed it the best we could by isolating him in the spare bedroom as best as possible - although, with a baby to look after, that's easier said than done.' 
Justin Anthony said his 12-year-old cousin with no pre-existing conditions is on a ventilator and ‘fighting for her life’ in an Atlanta hospital. 
The girl, who was only identified as Emma, was diagnosed with pneumonia on March 15. She has since tested positive for coronavirus but the family do not know how, Mr Anthony told CNN. 
'I know first hand how dangerous it is,' Mr Anthony said.
'Everyone keeps saying "it doesn't impact younger people".
'But here's a 12-year-old fighting for her life.
'People need to practice social distancing. People need to take care of their children.
'People need to take this seriously.'
Mr Anthony said Emma was placed on a ventilator at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta-Scottish Rite Hospital, where she is listed in stable condition.
The hospital confirmed that a patient tested positive for COVID-19, but declined to go into details.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26290154-8141949-image-a-1_1584958493865

Labour MP Rosena Allin-Khan, who also works as an A&E doctor, highlighted the risk to middle-aged adults after describing scenes at her work
Meanwhile, adults who do not fit into the elderly or vulnerable categories are also being told they must stick to social distancing advice because they can also catch the virus. 
Those aged between 30 and 50 may be less likely to die from the virus, but they appear to be the most likely to catch it.
The study in China found people aged 30-39 years old make up 17 per cent of patients, while those aged 40-49 account for 19 per cent.
Those in the group 50-59 years are the most likely to catch the virus of all age groups, making up 22.4 per cent of the studied cases. 
Labour MP Rosena Allin-Khan, who also works as an A&E doctor, highlighted the risk to middle-aged adults after describing scenes at her work.
She tweeted yesterday evening: 'Today, I did a shift at my local hospital and the experience was deeply, deeply eye-opening. 
'Previously fit and healthy young people in their 30's and 40's, attached to machines, fighting for their lives. 
'This is no joke. Yes, most may get mild symptoms, yes many are older but young, healthy patients are NOT immune. The worst of COVID-19, can be horrific.'
[size=18]Doctor warns young people over coronavirus vulnerability

L
[/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 23 Mar 2020, 16:13

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8142271/Piers-Morgan-slams-moron-filmed-licking-supermarket-products-amid-coronavirus-pandemic.html

[size=34]Reckless moment a man films himself LICKING toiletries in a Missouri grocery amid the coronavirus crisis - as Piers Morgan calls for him to be locked up and denied healthcare[/size]

• Missouri man filmed licking toiletries, saying: 'Who's scared of coronavirus'

• Revolting video shows him run his tongue along bottles in a grocery store shelf

• Alongside the social media footage, the caption states: 'I'm a nasty motherf****r'

• British TV presenter, Piers Morgan, said the 'moron' should be jailed for the clip

By LUKE ANDREWS FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 08:40 EDT, 23 March 2020 | UPDATED: 08:51 EDT, 23 March 2020

A Missouri man has been filmed licking bottles on a grocery store shelf amid the coronavirus crisis gripping the country.
The revolting clip, believed to have been filmed in Missouri, saw the man saying, 'who's scared of coronavirus?', before running his tongue along the shelf.
In the short clip posted online, he can be seen bending down to lick the toiletry items on the shelf while looking at the camera.
Alongside the footage, the caption states: 'I'm a nasty motherf****r'. 
The unnamed man is now facing calls for his arrest after the footage was repeatedly shared on Twitter. 
[size=10][size=18]Piers Morgan demands man filmed licking shelves refused health care

Load
[/size][/size]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26292874-8142271-image-m-14_1584963955590

+7

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26292876-8142271-image-a-15_1584963964658

+7

The revolting clip shows a man (pictured above) licking bottles on a shelf in grocery store. It is believed to have been filmed in Missouri
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26291812-8142271-image-a-1_1584961801059

+7

Piers Morgan said that the individual should be locked up and denied medical treatment if they catch coronavirus
UK morning TV presenter, Piers Morgan, called for him to be locked up and denied healthcare if he contracts coronavirus.
The Good Morning Britain host slammed the 'moron' this morning and said a jail sentence might help 'concentrate his mind'.

Speaking on ITV today, Morgan said: 'You know what I'd like to happen to him? I'd like him found, and I'm sure they'll get him, put in prison immediately and then I'd like him deprived of any health care should be then get the virus having deliberately tried to give it, potentially, to lots of other people.
'That might concentrate the minds of these morons. And it might concentrate the minds of these morons here too.'
In the US spring breakers have been criticized for still flocking to South Beach and other Miami hotspots despite warnings to avoid mass gatherings.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26294746-8142271-image-a-14_1584966949293

+7

Beachgoers enjoy a sunny day in Destin, Florida, on Wednesday despite new social policing asking the public to avoid crowded areas 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26294790-8142271-image-a-15_1584967066321

+7

University students walking along a street of Miami Beach during Spring Break after local authorities closed restaurants, bars, gyms, movie theaters and other similar businesses and rolled out a midnight curfew last week 
During the show, Morgan also directed anger at the public's 'idiocy' for treating yesterday like a public holiday, where thousands were seen flocking to beaches or enjoying National Trust parks.
He shared a picture entitled 'memo to all morons' yesterday as he called on people to obey social distancing measures.
The image reads: 'Confused about how far to distance yourself? Imagine the outline of a dead relative between you.' 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26291834-8142271-image-a-2_1584961808412

+7

It comes after thousands took to Britain's streets yesterday despite calls for them to avoid all 'non-essential travel' and keep at least two metres apart
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 26292272-8142271-image-m-4_1584962587648

+7

Piers Morgan shared this picture on Instagram to encourage people to do social distancing
Boris Johnson warned yesterday that if people don't desist from 'non-essential travel' and continue to disobey government guidance to stand at least 6.5ft (two metres) apart, he will be forced to impose a country-wide lockdown. 
Several parks have closed since yesterday, following fears the virus could be transferred in crowds forming at the venues. The National Trust has also closed all its gated parks in response to the crowds seen yesterday.
The United Kingdom has reported more than 5,000 cases due to the virus, and 281 deaths. The United States has recorded more than 35,000 cases of coronavirus and 458 deaths.

-------

https://www.clooneysopenhouse.com/viewtopic.php?t=8885

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20