George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Amal Clooney Vogue cover controversy: what’s wrong with saying she's a mother? EmptyWed 08 May 2024, 22:11 by Ida

»  George filming new film in UK
Amal Clooney Vogue cover controversy: what’s wrong with saying she's a mother? EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Amal Clooney Vogue cover controversy: what’s wrong with saying she's a mother? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Amal Clooney Vogue cover controversy: what’s wrong with saying she's a mother? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Amal Clooney Vogue cover controversy: what’s wrong with saying she's a mother? EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Amal Clooney Vogue cover controversy: what’s wrong with saying she's a mother? EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Amal Clooney Vogue cover controversy: what’s wrong with saying she's a mother? EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Amal Clooney Vogue cover controversy: what’s wrong with saying she's a mother? EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Amal Clooney Vogue cover controversy: what’s wrong with saying she's a mother? EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Amal Clooney Vogue cover controversy: what’s wrong with saying she's a mother?

+4
oldweston
LizzyNY
annemarie
Admin
8 posters

Go down

Amal Clooney Vogue cover controversy: what’s wrong with saying she's a mother? Empty Amal Clooney Vogue cover controversy: what’s wrong with saying she's a mother?

Post by Admin Sun 15 Apr 2018, 05:26

Storm in a teacup?  She doesn't seem to include links to the 'feminists' who are making a fuss.  Maybe just another journalist who needs to fill a column today?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What’s wrong with saying Amal Clooney is a mother?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Kerry Parnell
April 14, 2018 7:00pm

WHAT’S wrong with referring to a woman as a mother?
Everything, if you listen to rants about Amal Clooney’s Vogue cover.

The amazing Amal, who appears on the cover of US Vogue, and is one of the best female role models in the world, has given an interview about her work, home and relationship.
The cover line the fashion magazine used to accompany her image reads “Lawyer, activist, mother of twins, free-speech crusader.”

But the sisterhood thinks this should be censored, deleting the ‘mother’ part, arguing it’s sexist to say she’s a new mum to two 10-month-olds, with husband George Clooney.

Now I am all for equality, but aren’t we getting a little bit mixed up here? What’s wrong with mentioning someone is a mother as well as her career? Are we to delete that part of being a woman?
[ltr]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/ltr]

We are in a period of immense social change, with the #MeToo and equal pay movements doing more for women’s rights since emancipation, but there’s also confusion. The sisterhood says women should not be objectified — unless they want to plaster their arses on Instagram in a G-string, that is. We should support each other — unless you have a differing opinion. And now we shouldn’t talk about being a mother? Come on.

In the Vogue interview Amal speaks extensively about her career. She also says at 35, she had given up on romance when she met George. He echoed the sentiment, saying, “I’d pretty much committed to the idea of never marrying again. But I started dating Amal, and I immediately knew that something was very different.”

So for both of these exceptional people to have met, married and become parents when neither of them expected they would, is cause for celebration.

They appear blissfully happy — George FaceTimes while the interviewer is there, on his first trip away from his kids and misses them acutely, like any new dad.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Before meeting each other, George and Amal had given up on the idea of romance and family, so we should celebrate their love story. (Pic: Joel Ryan)

It’s lovely. It’s real life. It’s the stuff we should be talking about.

We’re so quick to put each other into boxes. Why can’t Amal be a world-famous lawyer and a wonderful mother? Why aren’t both OK?

She’s also extremely glamorous and into fashion, co-chairing the Met Gala next month. Is that allowed too, or should she put her Manolos away if she wants to be taken seriously?

If there really is a sisterhood, it needs to support all women, not just the ones who conform to a club.

“I hate the idea that you somehow, as a human being, have to be put in a box,” Amal says. “There’s no reason why lawyers can’t be fun — or actresses can’t be serious.”

Quite. I remember once, when I was editing a fashion magazine, being introduced to an earnest female barrister who, on inquiring what I did for a living, smirked and said, “Oh you write about what colour lipstick we should be wearing,” as if I, and the magazine’s hundreds of thousands of readers, were monumental morons.

Real equality comes when we let women — and men — be whatever they want to be, without judgment. Glamorous lipstick-loving lawyers, glass-ceiling-shattering career women or stay-at-home mums. Whatever. Who cares.
And a mother? Shout it from the damn rooftops if you want.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Amal Clooney Vogue cover controversy: what’s wrong with saying she's a mother? Empty Re: Amal Clooney Vogue cover controversy: what’s wrong with saying she's a mother?

Post by annemarie Sun 15 Apr 2018, 10:42

katie , I looked as well I haven't found any article saying her being a mother shouldn't be discussed.

If this is true some women need to sit the hell down and shut up.

Motherhood is the job where you don't get paid for 24 hour service.

You also don't get hazard pay when your kid is throwing up on you like mount Helena.

Your raising this little being that you hope will be a good well rounded person.

Yes Amal has help , but she is still their mother .

We will have a sisterhood when all women can be happy for others without judgement and nastiness.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Amal Clooney Vogue cover controversy: what’s wrong with saying she's a mother? Empty Re: Amal Clooney Vogue cover controversy: what’s wrong with saying she's a mother?

Post by LizzyNY Sun 15 Apr 2018, 14:13

Annemarie - Amen! The women who are whining about the article are the reason I'm not a "feminist". As much as these young women have accomplished, the praise they've gotten has made them arrogant and judgmental. Somehow we "old folks" managed to leave something important out of their upbringing.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by oldweston Sun 15 Apr 2018, 14:47

There are folks everywhere that will twist and abuse language for their own purpose. It has always been thus. Please don't listen to this nonsense. Feminism is the commitment to the political, economic and social equality of the sexes. Of course we are mothers :-) And daughters and partners and sisters and leaders and everything in between.  Give Flowers

Last edited by oldweston on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 14:49; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : left out word)

oldweston
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 15 Apr 2018, 21:00

Regardless of whether or not Ms. Parnell is really hearing this noise from some women I do think her article is spot on.  Women can be their own worst enemies.  We are far too judgmental of each other.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 16 Apr 2018, 05:57

As the journalist in this article hasn't given any links, I think the comments from the 'sisterhood' that some posters are rallying against don't actually exist.  This is a right-wing publication whose writers are encouraged to keep women down.  

Not wanting to start a flame war here, but while there's nothing wrong with mentioning that someone's a parent, I also question those articles that make out like it's a massive accomplishment for which a woman should be given special praise.  

Although I wonder why it's still often only women who get singled out like this - too often articles about men who've achieved a lot in life and have kids only get the mention that they're also a father, but women who've achieved a lot in life and have kids get whole paragraphs if not most of the article written about it.  My point being that being a parent is only a part of what makes a person, and this is acknowledged when writing about men but not when writing about women.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 16 Apr 2018, 06:40

Katie,
that's absolutely right. Parenthood is just a part of our lives and personalities, not all of it. On the other hand I've never heard that a man can't do a job because he's a father but have often heard or read comments about women. Our mayor has four little kids, and I remember that I was in a meeting with him years ago when his wife called him and asked for his help because all the kids and she herself were sick and had diarrhoe. So he apologized, left the meeting and went home. You can't imagine the comments others on the meeting made: It's her job, she has to handle it herself, it's unprofessional to leave work as a man etc. I was raised thinking that women should always step back from a job when a man needs it (because he has to finance his family's living, and she always has a husband who earns money as well). Our mayor's wife is a lawyer, and when she started working, there were lots of comments saying she should stay at home because they don't need the money. Which is probably right (although you never really know about other people's financial situation), but she has as much right as others to work, she's worked hard to get to where she's now. And if you follow this thought consequently, you might think that women don't need the same education as men because most of them will marry, and then all the money and the efforts are wasted. Which would throw us back more than a hundred years. Is that right?
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 16 Apr 2018, 10:42

Not even a hundred years back: there are still people nowadays saying the same thing in some places.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 16 Apr 2018, 13:27

Katie - Maybe we don't make a big deal about men having kids the way we do about women because we know that the job of caring for the kids falls mostly on the women - whether they work outside the home or not. We think it's so "evolved" of the men who actually take part in the day-to-day care of their kids, but we expect it of the women.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 16 Apr 2018, 14:10

I think that's exactly the reason why.  Whenever I read an article about a successful woman and it goes on about her being a mother [in the way it wouldn't if it were about a successful man] that reinforces the message that childcare is still a woman's prerogative - and solely hers.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 16 Apr 2018, 15:23

I agree that motherhood seems to almost always be a part of a woman’s story whereas for men fatherhood isn’t or it’s an afterthought.  I think it depends on the point of the story being presented. Is it relevant?   It does make me wonder if there was a debate at Vogue as to whether to include Amal’s motherhood as part of the cover’s headline.  My guess is if there was a comparable cover story being written about George I do think part of that cover headline would include ‘father of twins’.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 16 Apr 2018, 15:41

Mm, well there is this thing called the umbilical cord...........

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Mon 16 Apr 2018, 21:08

It’s funny how people, how history forgets....fake memory’s ????

People have a nasty nasty nasty habit of saying prostitution is the oldest PROFESSION.... Mmmm so the very first professional was a pro a ho... think about it???

I think this was a clever urban myth propergated by an exceedingly jealous male professional, a Male Barrister, Doctor, Accountant etc .... some, God love ‘em “Professional” that couldn’t handle the truth.....

Cos’ the truth sweet ladies is that the First Profession Woman or Man was a Mother... a Mum... we all have one, a professional in the family ....

All Mothers are Superstars (some miss the target I’ll give you) but as a norm all excel, all leave their mark... hello...

I really don’t know, but I imagine that on their dying beds.... none of The Professionals think of the deadline they didn’t make, the case they lost/won or the cure they found for an incurable disease.....I imagine they think of the REAL mark they left walking this earth....

People need a rethink.... I say this as a NON-MUM... Mums are Superstars.... I’m a shooting star....That’s the cool part-time “Professional”....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down