George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» The Good News
Amal Clooney heading/leaving NYC office today - Thur 29 March EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 18:19 by annemariew

» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
Amal Clooney heading/leaving NYC office today - Thur 29 March EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Amal Clooney heading/leaving NYC office today - Thur 29 March EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Amal Clooney heading/leaving NYC office today - Thur 29 March EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Amal Clooney heading/leaving NYC office today - Thur 29 March EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Amal Clooney heading/leaving NYC office today - Thur 29 March EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Amal Clooney heading/leaving NYC office today - Thur 29 March EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Amal Clooney heading/leaving NYC office today - Thur 29 March EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Amal Clooney heading/leaving NYC office today - Thur 29 March EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Amal Clooney heading/leaving NYC office today - Thur 29 March

+9
it's me
Joanna
carolhathaway
Admin
Doug Ross
ladybugcngc
LizzyNY
annemarie
party animal - not!
13 posters

Go down

Amal Clooney heading/leaving NYC office today - Thur 29 March Empty Amal Clooney heading/leaving NYC office today - Thur 29 March

Post by party animal - not! Thu 29 Mar 2018, 16:39

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Amal Clooney heading/leaving NYC office today - Thur 29 March Empty Re: Amal Clooney heading/leaving NYC office today - Thur 29 March

Post by annemarie Thu 29 Mar 2018, 16:43

[size=34]Amal Clooney cuts a chic figure in tweed business suit as she steps out for day of meetings in New York City[/size]
By RYAN SMITH FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 09:50 EDT, 29 March 2018 | UPDATED: 10:36 EDT, 29 March 2018

She's married to Hollywood heartthrob George Clooney, with whom she has nine-month-old twins Ella and Alexander.
And Amal Clooney stepped away from her busy home life for a demanding day of meetings on Thursday morning, as she headed to work in New York City.
The 40-year-old human rights lawyer looked typically chic in an oatmeal tweed button-down top, which she teamed with a matching midi skirt.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

+6

Work it: Amal Clooney was spotted heading out to work in New York City on Thursday morning
The British-Lebanese beauty complemented her ensemble with a pair of nude heels, while an oversized cream handbag added another stylish touch to her look.

With her raven tresses falling beyond her shoulders in lustrous waves, the mother-of-two shielded her eyes behind a pair of of blue tinted sunglasses, with she accessorised with a pair of glittering earrings. 
Amal, who has worked on a number of high profile cases throughout her career, stepped out as it was revealed that she will represent two journalists jailed in Burma.

+6

Stepping out in style: The 40-year-old human rights lawyer looked typically chic in an oatmeal tweed button-down top, which she teamed with a matching midi skirt

Channel an Amal-worthy look in chic co-ordinates

Chanel Fall 2017 Couture

J'adore Chanel!

Buy now

Amal always looks impeccably polished and ladylike. She brings an old fashioned feminine sense of sophistication to "office-wear" with her closet chock full of pieces by Stella McCartney, Giambattista Valli, Dolce & Gabbana and Valentino.
Today she opted for an iconic tweed, Chanel suit-- the cream colored co-ord was comprised of a demure, knee-length skirt with matching jacket. She paired this look with tonal heels and a white tote bag. Tres chic!
This elegant ensemble hailed from Chanel's Fall 2017 Couture collection and while we won't be able to get our hands on this bespoke classic, we can do our best recreating her look on the high street.
That being said, head to the edit below for our favorite purse friendly alternatives!
* PRICES MAY NOT BE AS ADVERTISED

...NOW GET ONE LIKE IT FOR LESS
Previous
Next

• $238

Kate Spade New York Sparkle Tweed Jacket at SaksFifthAvenue.com

Buy now

• $99.99

Mango Pocket tweed jacket

Buy now

• $79.99

Mango Trim tweed jacket

Buy now

• $124.97

Rebecca Taylor Long-Sleeve Textured Jacket at SaksOff5th.com

Buy now

Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo – reporters for the Reuters news agency – are being held in a Yangon prison after being arrested in December.
They are being held under the country’s Official Secrets Act, a statute which carries a maximum prison sentence of 14 years. 
Amal said in a statement released on Thursday: 'Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo are being prosecuted simply because they reported the news.
'I have reviewed the case file and it is clear beyond doubt that the two journalists are innocent and should be released immediately. Yet they have been denied bail and face 14 years in prison.

+6

+6

On the case: Amal, who has worked on a number of high profile cases throughout her career, stepped out as it was revealed that she will represent two journalists jailed in Burma
'The outcome of this case will tell us a lot about Myanmar’s commitment to the rule of law and freedom of speech.' 
Amal's news comes amid claims she recently threw open the doors of her family’s newly refurbished £10 million Berkshire mansion to renowned photographer Annie Leibovitz, for an ‘at home’ interview, set to be published in Vogue this year.
In the unlikely event that the A-listers’ nine-bedroom property isn’t impressive enough, Amal also borrowed £7million of diamonds to wear for the occasion. 
A source close to the Clooneys told The Mail on Sunday: ‘This has been organised for a long while. It is Amal’s chance to do a sit-down interview and show the inside of her house. 

+6

Love and marriage: Amal is married to Hollywood actor George Clooney, with whom she shares nine-year-old twins Ella and Alexander. Pictured in October 2015

‘It will be a really special piece for her. She and George have put blood, sweat and tears into getting their house to be perfect, so it’s the ideal location to do this.’
The choice of photographer is also significant, as Leibovitz took the pictures of Amal during the final fitting of her Oscar de la Renta wedding dress for the couple’s marriage in September 2014.
However, it is understood that neither George, 56, nor nine-month-old twins Alexander and Ella will appear in the new pictures.
The couple bought the 17th Century, Grade II listed mansion in the village of Sonning Eye – where neighbours include British Prime Minister Theresa May and Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page – for about £7.5 million in 2014, soon after they married.

+6

Mi amore: The couple tied the knot in a romantic ceremony in Venice in September 2014
ADVERTISEMENT

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Amal Clooney heading/leaving NYC office today - Thur 29 March Empty Re: Amal Clooney heading/leaving NYC office today - Thur 29 March

Post by LizzyNY Thu 29 Mar 2018, 17:13

I wonder if she was coming from a meeting. That looks like somewhere on the East Side. It's definitely not the building where their new condo is.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Thu 29 Mar 2018, 17:28

I'm glad she's wearing her sun glasses  Smile .  The way she wore them with her trench coat was extremely odd.

ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Thu 29 Mar 2018, 18:16

It's not odd at all.

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 30 Mar 2018, 04:41

I do find it odd in a cold April in New York that anyone should feel the need for sunglasses.  However, given my unkind comments about how tired she looked the other day, I can kind of understand the why for the sunnies. Hides a multitude of tiredness that no amount of Touche Eclat can deal with!

I think all parents of young twins should be given a pass on this.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 30 Mar 2018, 09:35

I've said a few times here in different threads:

George sometimes wears sunglasses at night which makes even less sense when thinking about the original use of sunglasses which is to protectyour eyes from the sunlight. I've got very light-sensible eyes, so I need to protect my eyes not just in sunlight. I'm also blinded when driving my car and leaving a tunnel or simply when driving through an alley. And I can imagine that you're blinded by the flashes of photographers at night 

Eyes also tell you a lot about how a person feels and whom she's looking at. So sunglasses can help to protect you from this, from letting everybody know that you're drunk, tired or exhausted. 

And many people simply wear them to accessorize their outfits.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 30 Mar 2018, 10:37

This is what a  lot of people don't realize the sun doesn't stop shining even if it isn't bright it can still damage your eyes.

So you should protect your eyes even in cloudy conditions.

[size=35]DO YOU NEED TO WEAR SUNGLASSES ON CLOUDY DAYS?
Dr. Jim Martin11/25/2015[/size]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]In recent years sunglasses have become something of a fashion statement. There are literally thousands of options to choose from. You can pick frame style, lens colors, and everything in between to achieve the exact look you’re going for. While sunglasses are often seen as a fashion accessory, they are also an important tool for eye health. 

Sunglasses block out harmful rays and protect your eyes from the danger of the sun. For those in the know about the health benefits of sunglasses, some still wonder whether or not you need to wear sunglasses in cloudy weather. We have the answers you have been looking for.

DO I NEED TO WEAR SUNGLASSES ON CLOUDY DAYS?

The simple answer is, yes. While it may seem like sunglasses are important during sunny days, they are equally necessary during cloudier periods of time. Harmful rays that can damage your eyesight can still affect your eyes even if there is ample cloud cover. Sunglasses should be worn when you are outdoors regardless of the cloud cover or season, just like you are supposed to wear sunscreen even if it is cloudy outdoors.

ARE SUNGLASSES NECESSARY IN THE WINTER?

Absolutely. The sun can be just as harmful to your eyesight in the winter as it is in the summer. While it might cool down, temperature wise, the sun's rays are still strong and can be damaging. Wear sunglasses during the winter to protect your eyes from the sun.

ARE ALL SUNGLASSES THE SAME?

The simple answer to this one is, no. Not all sunglasses are created equally. To achieve the sun protection you are looking for, you'll want to opt for a high quality pair of sunglasses. The glasses you pick should offer between 99%-100% protection from both UVA and UVB rays. UVA and UVB rays are harmful to the eyes and contribute to the development of cataracts. Polarized lenses offer exceptional protection from sun damage. If you are unsure of what would best suit your needs, consult an eye care professional.

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO TO PROTECT MY EYES FROM THE SUN?

Besides wearing sunglasses, consider wearing a wide-brimmed hat. This can help you in two ways – not only will it protect your eyes from the sun, but it will also add extra protection for the delicate skin on your face. You can also avoid being in the sun when it is strongest. In most locations in the United States the sun is strongest between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.

If you are in need of sunglasses or other eye care, call the professionals at Broome Optical. We will be happy help you find the right eye care for your unique vision situation.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 30 Mar 2018, 10:46

Very valid points, but I don't think celebrities wear sunglasses at night or on overcast days for health reasons. It's all about a certain look, and yes, to hide tiredness, lack of makeup and so on.

For me, I find it a little pretentious/look-at-me when celebs do this (George included) but I say any parent of young kids should get a free pass on this. I don't have kids and I rarely make it out of the house looking as polished as Amal is here, so lord knows how she does it!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 30 Mar 2018, 11:43

I have a feeling that many of them have them to hand (including George) to counteract the effect of the flash bulbs - and who could blame them!?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 30 Mar 2018, 12:02

carolhathaway.....I too have light sensitive eyes, especially my left one which had the cancer tumour in.

(Although the tumour was successfully "zapped" by a
radioactive "Thingie", it is now waiting for a cataract to be dealt with and it doesn't like bright light, both natural and artificial)

I agree pan about George's reason for wearing his sunglasses.

Thanks annemarie for posting the article by Dr. Jim Martin. 
I've found the reasons to wear my sunglasses throughout the year.....
Bright days or not.

PS.....SPRING is here in UK !!  sunnysunnysunny

I go by the Forsthia bursting into Yellow Flowers 
on the bush across the road, over the past two days.

YAAAAAY....

Sofa bounce
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 30 Mar 2018, 12:52

If the flash is too strong it can damage your eyes and when they are all going off they can blind you.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 30 Mar 2018, 13:00

Just a note - The NY Daily News says the photo of Amal was taken in SoHo. She was coming out of a Sullivan St. building that has rented apartments to several celebrities (John Legend and Chrissy Tiegen were mentioned.) So...I'm guessing the condo isn't ready yet. I wonder why they chose this place instead of the Carlisle, where they usually stay.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 30 Mar 2018, 13:06

Ah, maybe it's more off the beaten track - I've seen the paparazzi  who haunt the Carlyle in action - someone on every corner of the streets nearby, often with bikes and motorbikes and in constant contact with each other.....

Or maybe she was visiting someone........her brother lives nearby doesn't he?

Ah, just seen photos on Profimedia. And she's arriving at the Sullivan Street address........and this is where Anna Wintour lives.......

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 30 Mar 2018, 13:23

PAN - Obviously not far enough off the beaten track since they found her. I'm not sure where her brother lives, but I thought it was further uptown. If she's here on her own she could have stayed with him.

Personally, I'd rather stay in a hotel and let someone else take care of the housekeeping - unless, of course, she travels with staff.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 30 Mar 2018, 13:55

Maybe not great with two possibly crawling little ones........

No, I think it's entirely possible Ms Wintour's house has the odd pap keeping an eye......especially if it's in the same block as the Legends etc......

One of the advantages I guess of the apartment is that they can drive straight in to the private car park below.......

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 30 Mar 2018, 14:24

Me too

Light colour eyes
Plus miopia

I need sunglasses almost always outside
I sometimes keep them inside shops
Mall also ... Rolling Eyes
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 30 Mar 2018, 14:32

Let's not forget that people get paid to inform the paps when someone pap worthy is around.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 30 Mar 2018, 14:34

Profmedia said she is arriving back at her apartment in Soho. She doesn't live in Soho.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 30 Mar 2018, 16:29

Annemarie - She doesn't live there, but apparently that's where she's staying this trip. Maybe she's renting while she does her stint at Columbia...but if that's the case she'd have the twins with her...which would mean she'd need room for them and whoever takes care of them when she's not around...so the apartment would have to be fairly large - maybe a duplex? - although the building she's leaving doesn't seem large enough to accommodate multiple large apartments. It's a brownstone, and those are typically 4 storey buildings, so not too many apartments - especially if it's been renovated (which it probably has).

Just a thought: SoHo isn't very convenient to Columbia, so maybe that's not where she's going.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 30 Mar 2018, 16:44

Here's one of the apartments at 116:

Ah, just like home..........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 30 Mar 2018, 17:03

That one has six bedrooms definitely big enough for the whole family. 

Columbia is nine miles away depending on traffic 30 minutes away.

It has six units in it.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 30 Mar 2018, 17:39

If I could afford to live in a place like that I’d move there in a New York minute.  To be tucked away in Soho in a quiet neighborhood but able to enjoy city life  and have access to so much would be the way I’d want to spend my days.  The exposed brick and that fireplace ... really nice.  Oh well ... dreaming on ....

I more times than not wear my sun glasses on cloudy days.  There are many times that even on cloudy days there is glare so I end of squinting if I’m not wearing shades.

Lots of questions.  Is George there?  Are the kids there? If the kids are there and George isn’t would Baria be staying with her to care for the babes?  If Amal is staying there then the paps are going to be staking out the area hoping to get more pix of her and possibly Ella and Alexander. Maybe Amal isn’t staying there.  Just visiting a friend or her brother?
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 30 Mar 2018, 18:27

PAN - Where did you see the address? The house you posted is a one-family home, not apartments. If that's where she's staying, I wonder if they found it on line or thru an agent. The Daily News item said the police had investigated it as a possible Airbnb site. Whatever, there's certainly enough room for the whole family.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 30 Mar 2018, 19:08

Hi Lizzy. All I did was google the number of the house behind her in the pics and it came up as something to rent from them.

The people who are at the top of the company are involved with Airbnb too, Accor hotels etc and have a worldwide group.....

Interesting street - Sandra Bullock's place a couple of houses down too

Ps I do wonder if the Norman Foster apartment is an investment - we know that George has said he prefers land.........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 30 Mar 2018, 19:42

PAN - I thought of that but didn't see a number anywhere - Still don't! Where are you looking?!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 30 Mar 2018, 21:10

Lizzy profimedia has a picture of Amal entering on the blue door it has the number 116.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 30 Mar 2018, 22:49

party animal - not! wrote:Here's one of the apartments at 116:

I am speechless Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sat 31 Mar 2018, 01:08

I think George Clooney and Amal Clooney are living separate lives;  maybe their relationship is over.  Remember there are no pictures of George Clooney or the twins in the upcoming article.  With Amal in New York, I think the twin children are with family at their home in England.  No sign of the two of them together after the last red carpet.  I think they were both putting up a brave front at the march. 

With all the photos of Amal and the detailed description of what she's wearing, I think it's leading up to the Met Gala.  She will be hosting with a celebrity and fashion designer.  A lot of talk about Amal's work maybe she's decided to concentrate on her work at this time.

Just my observation.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilia Sat 31 Mar 2018, 10:51

I read some comments on Amal's blog & It 's mentioned that Amal's aunt shared photos of the twins on her Facebook page..

Lilia
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 31 Mar 2018, 15:17

Lilia wrote:I read some comments on Amal's blog & It 's mentioned that Amal's aunt shared photos of the twins on her Facebook page..

Shocked
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Sat 31 Mar 2018, 16:49

So, what's the name of the aunt? ahahaha

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by media savvy Sun 01 Apr 2018, 00:28

surely it's clear by now that the Clooneys choose when to be photographed or not.  Otherwise how does anyone explain how Amal goes for months without being photographed and then she is papped day in day out - and always professionally styled from her hair extensions to her outfit that she only wears once.  If she is photographed in her working life you can bet a call is placed to the media beforehand.  My feeling with Amal is perhaps she is starting to yearn for her former life.  Which is not unusual as she was single for a long time.   In the space of a very short time she has been speaking in Amsterdam, marching in washington and now in New York.  Even with private planes the travel still takes time and she doesn't just get ready for meetings like the rest of us - she schedules in hair, make up people and stylists.   I believe with the Vogue article and Met Gala She is attempting to establish herself as a person in her own right - but it's not going to happen because she made a pact with the "devil"  of fame and once you have done that there is no going back.  I have no doubt that on her own she would have continued to grow in her profession - now it appears she does "talking engagements" and is the public face of trials.    I am not suggesting she should not work - but those babies are either very jet lagged or not seeing both there parents daily.  And where is home for them? Is it England?  Los Angeles?

media savvy
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 01 Apr 2018, 01:07

Not sure you can 'maintain' the 'public face' of a trial without having the qualifications and comprehensive knowledge for one - or as Dame Helena Kennedy QC, who is in the House of Lords and a human rights lawyer said recently, Amal is a brilliant lawyer and will go even further, but her priority is her two small children. So she is finding ways to talk about human rights at conferences which only take a day of her time..

And I suspect that the NY pix of her (in a vintage Chanel) are because she is working on the Reuters case so if anybody knows where she is they will! And in this case the Myanmar government won't be best pleased.

Entirely likely the Clooney family are now in NYC in their new home there. She's about to share a lecture course at Columbia for a term

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 01 Apr 2018, 11:51

media savvy wrote: I am not suggesting she should not work - but those babies are either very jet lagged or not seeing both there parents daily.
I don't understand the reasoning behind the question when a picture that shows she was in one meeting - maybe for an hour, maybe a few more - comes out. Unless there's photography that shows she was out of the home for more than 15 hours a day for, let's say, 10-days straight, I find that an odd comment to make.

media savvy wrote: And where is home for them? Is it England? Los Angeles?
Both. And any other place both parents happen to be working. Children are very portable and fit into any kind of schedule. It's when they start needing schooling that crunch time is going to come.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 13:48

George has said himself when the kids start school they will choose a home and settle down.

Until then they will be with their parent's where ever they are.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 01 Apr 2018, 14:21

I realize their careers mandate that G&A are constantly on the move, but it does bother me a bit that they're contributing to the housing crisis here. Not only have they bought an extremely expensive condo, but they're staying in a one-family home that is apparently being used as a high end hotel rather than as a permanent residence.

It certainly isn't just G&A I'm talking about. So much of our housing stock is being channeled into the luxury market for part-time residents that the people who live and work here can't afford a place to live - if they can find one.

Rant over. Embarassed I'm sure wherever they are, no matter who they're with, the twins are being well cared for.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 14:50

I have a neighbor I was talking too yesterday, we were talking about housing and the City.

She told me she and a friend were talking 30 years ago, at the time the friend worked for the city and she was at a meeting it was stated that the city would only be for the rich. This whole thing has been planned for years Bloomberg got the ball rolling.

Developers don't build for the poor as the idiot in the White House has said he doesn't build for the poor because there is no money in it for him.

I don't blame George and Amal or any other rich person who can afford their homes.

I blame the developers who don't care about those who truly need homes the poor and the middle class.

The Governor and the mayor all the city council people who are so willing to change zoning rules so that

these developers can build these expensive homes. They don't even make it a fair percentage for the poor and middle 

class in these buildings. That is the one's that even have low and middle income rentals.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 01 Apr 2018, 21:22

Annemarie - What's really irritating is that a lot of these places are standing empty. Some because they're not worth what they're asking because they don't offer much for the money - and some because the people who own them are rarely in the city. Either way, it's a waste of space that is desperately needed by permanent residents of the city.

If someone is only going to be here for a short while I don't see why they can't stay in a hotel and leave the rental market to people who need to be here full-time. Maybe if the developers couldn't find tenants for their luxury buildings they'd pay more attention to the actual needs of the people.

Also, I'm all for a residence tax on people who occupy their property less than 6 months a year.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 22:22

I think the tax would be a great idea , though you know a lot of them would have a cow over that.

Sadly, in the old days there were developers who cared and did build for everyone , but the new generation is simply here for the money and the rich will pay no matter how ridiculous the price. 

Even if the rich didn't take the rental apartments, not many people could afford the rents. Where I am they are building a new rental . A studio is renting for $3400. 

The land lords are also a part of the problem they can charge what ever they want , rent regulation has gone out the window.

New York will be Washington D.C. in a few years , the people who work in D.C. can't afford to live there they live outside because the rents are so high. Some commute up to four hours a day  just to 

get to work and get home. When we were there last year my husband spoke to a cop and he said he couldn't afford to live in D.C. Basically only the rich live in D.C.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 02 Apr 2018, 08:01

Not only in the US. London prices are ridiculous - and much of the south of the country. Whenever I chat to taxi drivers, I always ask them how far they had to drive to come in to work because none of them live in London nowadays.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Mon 02 Apr 2018, 17:18

party animal - not! wrote:Here's one of the apartments at 116:

Reminds me of your place, Katie.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 02 Apr 2018, 18:05

Katie - A lot of New Yorkers have long commutes to work, too - and I don't mean the executives who travel down from more affluent suburbs and Connecticut. (I was lucky. The school where I taught was 5 minutes from my house by car - even with traffic- and most days it took me an hour by bus. I don't drive, but even if I did there was no parking.)

Most of us don't live in the borough where we work, so we have a daily commute that, because of traffic congestion and subway delays, can take anywhere from half an hour to an hour and a half (without traffic it could take less than half the time.) And it just keeps getting worse and more expensive.

Most celebs don't take mass transit, but they do use Uber and taxis if they don't have their own drivers. That only adds to the congestion in the city. I don't have any answers, but they'll have to do something soon . The people who work here not only won't be able to afford to live here, they won't be able to afford to work here, either.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 02 Apr 2018, 19:03

We need affordable housing but no one seems to care. It is no secret there isn't enough affordable housing being built.

Now the city is leasing city project playgrounds and parking lots to luxury builders.

So basically kids will have no playground and their parents will not have parking.

I am hoping there will be more affordable housing in these buildings, but who knows.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down