George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» The Good News
Suburbicon reviews - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 18:19 by annemariew

» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
Suburbicon reviews - Page 3 EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Suburbicon reviews - Page 3 EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Suburbicon reviews - Page 3 EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Suburbicon reviews - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Suburbicon reviews - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Suburbicon reviews - Page 3 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Suburbicon reviews - Page 3 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Suburbicon reviews - Page 3 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Suburbicon reviews

+16
benex
ladybugcngc
Way2Old4Dis
PigPen
carolhathaway
fava
LizzyNY
Katiedot
Donnamarie
Doug Ross
Missa
Sevens
melbert
it's me
annemarie
party animal - not!
20 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Suburbicon reviews - Page 3 Empty Re: Suburbicon reviews

Post by Donnamarie Mon 13 Nov 2017, 18:33

As I recall ‘The Guardian’ reviewed ‘Suburbicon’ around the time of the Venice Film Festival ... not a positive critique either. I do think European audiences appreciate George’s movies more than Americans do so maybe the film will play better overseas.

I don’t think George has any interest whatsoever in running for any office.  And he is a bit of a polarizing figure in today’s political climate. There are a lot of people who just don’t like George.  

George has his hand in other endeavors outside the film industry but I do think his first love is making movies.  I just have to imagine he’s doing a lot of serious thinking about where he goes from here as far as his career.  But his family is truly his first priority and I too think he will make sure he is very much a part of raising Ella and Alex.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Mon 13 Nov 2017, 18:56

LizzyNY wrote:Because PAN posted a Guardian article that suggested George might want to get into politics because his recent movies (including "Suburbicon") have been flops.
As Way2 noted, "Suburbicon" was not reviewed in that article. 

Maybe a blog about George Clooney running for President would be a better fit for PAN's post. 

Flop is a strong word, as I told Donna you can't believe everything you read.  To take the views of critics, run with it with abandonment, and take no time to view the film for yourself exemplify the times we are living in.  

I find it interesting people who seem to follow George Clooney's career and personal life, day in and day out have such strong opinions about a movie they took no time to view for themselves.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Mon 13 Nov 2017, 19:21

I like his movies . I think he is very talented .   Very Happy

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 13 Nov 2017, 19:32

Ladybug - I haven't seen the movie. The way it looks now, I probably won't see it until it comes out on dvd or is shown on tv. I like his movies, but the more I learn about this one  the less I feel like it's my kind of film - or at least not the kind of film I'm in the mood for right now. Not judging the quality of the movie - just saying it doesn't seem like a film I'd enjoy, so I'm not going to go out of my way to see it.

As far as his movies being  "flops", that's the word the Guardian used.  This isn't a review of "Suburbicon". They just say that his recent movies, haven't been massive hits (although they've gotten a lot of promotion). So the Guardian suggests he might want to look to politics for a new career.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Mon 13 Nov 2017, 19:42

I think the word " flop " is really lame. . Very Happy

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Mon 13 Nov 2017, 19:57

party animal - not! wrote:Totally agree with you, Lizzy. I think the Guardian's film man was just looking for a different angle which, as it happens, seems a little kinder in a non-review kind of way.

In fact I'm wondering if the European critics may be less vociferous in their critiques given they slightly removed from the situation and folks here may be more inquisitive......

You never know!  

Thanks for making my point PAN.  The Guardian's article is a non-review, I'm not quite sure why you posted it in "Suburbicon" Reviews.

In this blog, you have posted several articles with a negative overview.  Have you seen "Suburbicon"?
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Mon 13 Nov 2017, 20:33

LizzyNY wrote:Ladybug - I haven't seen the movie. The way it looks now, I probably won't see it until it comes out on dvd or is shown on tv. I like his movies, but the more I learn about this one  the less I feel like it's my kind of film - or at least not the kind of film I'm in the mood for right now. Not judging the quality of the movie - just saying it doesn't seem like a film I'd enjoy, so I'm not going to go out of my way to see it.

As far as his movies being  "flops", that's the word the Guardian used.  This isn't a review of "Suburbicon". They just say that his recent movies, haven't been massive hits (although they've gotten a lot of promotion). So the Guardian suggests he might want to look to politics for a new career.
Lizzy: "I like his movies, but the more I learn about this one  the less I feel like it's my kind of film - or at least not the kind of film I'm in the mood for right now." 

Because of all the clips and pre-interviews, I went into this movie thinking I knew what it was about. 

The plot was completely different than anything I expected.  The intrigue of how the two stories mix is engaging; how the story, of the two families unfold is exemplary. 

It left me with the understanding "wrong doing" did not win and hope the next generation will find ways to work together. 

I understand and respect your decision not to go out of your way to see "Suburbican".   I'm looking forward to hearing the opinions of you and others on Clooney's Open House if and/or when you actually view it.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 13 Nov 2017, 21:15

Ladybug, it was my intention to see the film this past weekend. I see all of George’s movies when they come out. This is the first one in many years that I didn’t get to see in the theatre. Unfortunately all the theatres around me have pulled the film. It had only been out three weeks! So now I’m going to have to wait until it is available on Amazon and dvd. I suspect a lot of our American posters are going to have the same problem. Our European posters hopefully will get out to see it and talk about it here.

I don’t think any of us can disregard all of the negative reviews. There is something that either George got wrong or maybe most people just aren’t getting. But if most people can’t appreciate George’s vision and execution of ‘Suburbicon’ why is that? I do think some critics and moviegoers like to pile on and trash George’s work .... just because he is who he is. I remember when ‘The American’ came out and wasn’t reviewed positively by many critics. I loved it. I thought it was one of George’s best roles and the story and cinematography were great. But it was obviously not a movie for most people’s taste. I think there is more going on with the overall reaction to ‘Suburbicon’.

I agree with amaretti .... George is really talented, especially as an actor. And he has a lot to say about what’s going on in our world. I want George to succeed in the business that he loves so much. He loves directing. Ultimately he’s got to do a better job of successfully translating his vision to the big screen.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Mon 13 Nov 2017, 22:31

Donnamarie wrote:Ladybug, it was my intention to see the film this past weekend.  I see all of George’s movies when they come out.  This is the first one in many years that I didn’t get to see in the theatre. Unfortunately all the theatres around me have pulled the film.  It had only been out three weeks!  So now I’m going to have to wait until it is available on Amazon and dvd.  I suspect a lot of our American posters are going to have the same problem.  Our European posters hopefully will get out to see it and talk about it here.

I don’t think any of us can disregard all of the negative reviews.  There is something that either George got wrong or maybe most people just aren’t getting.   But if most people can’t appreciate George’s vision and execution of ‘Suburbicon’ why is that?  I do think some critics and moviegoers like to pile on and trash George’s work .... just because he is who he is.   I remember when ‘The American’ came out and wasn’t reviewed positively by many critics.  I loved it.  I thought it was one of George’s best roles and the story and cinematography were great.  But it was obviously not a movie for most people’s taste.  I think there is more going on with the overall reaction to ‘Suburbicon’.

I agree with amaretti .... George is really talented, especially as an actor.   And he has a lot to say about what’s going on in our world.  I want George to succeed in the business that he loves so much.  He loves directing.  Ultimately he’s got to do a better job of successfully translating his vision to the big screen.
Donna,

Having seen "Suburbicon" I have a hard time understanding what the critics did not get.  Maybe once you see the film, you can better explain the critics view.

The people I've talked to really like the film.  Way2 stated one friend flat out liked the film, the other friend liked the film, but thought people may not get the irony.

Reading reviews, and actually talking to people person to person are two completely different things.

I completely understand you were not able to see the film.  The problem I'm having is the constant talk about the critic reviews,  assessments of people here based on critic reviews, with absolutely no frame of reference to actually viewing the film or talking directly with people who actually saw the film.  That dynamic is alarming to me. 

Your statement:  Ultimately he’s got to do a better job of successfully translating his vision to the big screen.

...exemplifies my concerns.  What are you basing that statement on as it relates to this film?  It concerns me if it's based on what others have written.  As opposed to a first hand, person to person account.  Or your own first hand account.

Donna, I'm going to be honest, words can't describe how enjoyable this film was to watch; the writing, vision, acting, and execution is so creative (in my opinion).

The truth is you can't believe everything you read.  Sometimes motive and intent play into the actions of others.

Bottom line:   I'm looking forward to hearing the opinions of you and others on Clooney's Open House if and/or when you actually view "Suburbicon".
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 14 Nov 2017, 18:32

I don't believe for one minute George would run for president, but journalists' surmisings seem to have been a useful distraction. Wonder how that came about.......

I don't believe he will concentrate solely on his philanthropic work either - he seems to be a brilliant multi-tasker - but he may be facing problems on that front too.

Lebanon seems to be becoming politically unstable - as if four million refugees in a country of two and half million people is not enough in a country of three million.

The Prime Minister has fled the country fearing assassination and both Saudi Arabia and Iran and Hezbollah seem to be involved.

Let us hope it stabilises quickly so that the Clooney Foundation can continue their work...........

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Tue 14 Nov 2017, 18:47

party animal - not! wrote:I don't believe for one minute George would run for president, but journalists' surmisings seem to have been a useful distraction. Wonder how that came about.......

I don't believe he will concentrate solely on his philanthropic work either - he seems to be a brilliant multi-tasker - but he may be facing problems on that front too.

Lebanon seems to be becoming politically unstable - as if four million refugees in a country of two and half million people is not enough in a country of three million.  

The Prime Minister has fled the country fearing assassination and both Saudi Arabia and Iran and Hezbollah seem to be involved.

Let us hope it stabilises quickly so that the Clooney Foundation can continue their work...........
Interesting "Suburbicon" review.  PAN you seem to have an obsession with the George Clooney for President topic.  Maybe you can help me understand why you are posting George Clooney for President in the "Suburbicon" reviews blog.  Did you see "Suburbicon"?
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 14 Nov 2017, 19:43

In the UK. Release date as mentioned is November 24

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Tue 14 Nov 2017, 19:57

party animal - not! wrote:In the UK. Release date as mentioned is November 24
If you plan to see it, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 23 Nov 2017, 13:08

So here is the Guardian's official review

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Positive

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Thu 23 Nov 2017, 15:42

Interesting: 

The Guardian: "Next door, an African American family have moved in, to the horror of the bigoted folks thereabouts: Mr and Mrs Mayers (Leith M Burke and Karimah Westbrook) and their son, Andy (Tony Espinosa), who is about Nicky’s age."

The Guardian:  "There is something weirdly, if perhaps not intentionally surreal about the way these two dramas unfold side-by-side without impinging on each other that much."

Yahooooo  When and if you see the movie, you will understand why I find these two statements funny.

I made myself read this article and I'm glad I did. 

How these two families co-exist keeps you engaged through the entire movie.  How the movie unfolds as well as the news feed at the end of the movie are absolutely brilliant.  

Bravo to everyone involved in its making. 

I want to share my thoughts about the children, however since a lot of people here still have not seen the movie, I don't want to give to much away.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 24 Nov 2017, 02:46

More good stuff - including the Mail!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Fri 24 Nov 2017, 04:10

party animal - not! wrote:More good stuff - including the Mail!

Smile
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 24 Nov 2017, 05:54

finally !
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 29 Nov 2017, 19:53

This last weekend I went to see Suburbicon.

And it was brilliant, and it says everything about George and all the like-minded people of principle around him.

The casting and story line were superb - and Noah Jupe was amazing!

There is just one thing - in my view some in America may think it's a little too close to what may be the truth and will not want to know.

A shame

ps the cinema I was in was a brilliant new redecorated Art Deco space much like cinemas of the era, with extremely comfortable seating drinks and snacks, and in a suburb of North London. As we got our tickets and saw that the cinema nearly full, the manager told me that it had been booked by the films distributors for the UK Premiere of the film..............

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 29 Nov 2017, 20:08

PAN, so glad to read that you thought it was brilliant. Did you think the audience was receptive to it? Did you hear chatter on the way out after the show? Your comment about it hitting too close to home for American audiences may have some truth to it. It’s hard for me to judge since I haven’t seen it. I’m so disappointed that I missed it in the theater but I guess it won’t be too terribly long before it’s on Amazon to rent or buy.

This movie may have been far better than many critics would give it credit for and their scathing reviews could have kept many American moviegoers away or allowed critics’ comments to color their judgment....
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 29 Nov 2017, 20:22

Yep, that too, Donnamarie, but their views on it beggar belief to me. Or as Jim Bissell tweeted 'they must have been watching another film'! It is so much a film of our time in many ways, and the integrity of those involved shows.

Suffice to say, hearing that the cinema had bought the red carpet and then George 'couldn't come' (quote from the management) definitely came as a surprise until I realised that the cinema they'd chosen in LA was of the same era too. It is nationwide here now - but competing with Paddington and Murder on the Orient Express.......

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Wed 29 Nov 2017, 20:46

PAN:  I have to ask.  With all the clips and talk we on COH were privy to, was it ANYTHING like what you expected?
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 29 Nov 2017, 21:29

PAN - "Paddington" is obviously for a different audience, but if "Murder" is the only other real competition for "Suburbicon", maybe the movie will do well. "Murder" didn't get very good reviews over here.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 29 Nov 2017, 21:37

I haven't had the chance to watch 'Suburbicon' so far, but the reviews I've read in German were really good as well - apart from those who simply love everything the Coens do and think that it's a crime to change anything on their scripts and those who simply translated American reviews and didn't add a single word - which I realized since I had read the original reviews as well.

But I'm really looking forward to see it somewhere, either on the big or on the small screen...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 29 Nov 2017, 23:31

Lizzy,'Murder' got not-great reviews here too but look at the cast and the glamour. It seems to be like comfort food, which is why I guess it's made $76 million at the US box office alone.

And remarkably I know couples of a certain age who say they've come out of Paddington crying - apparently it's like that for everybody.........!

Suburbicon here will depend on the number of cinemas it's being distributed to as well of course

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Thu 30 Nov 2017, 00:36

Finally got to see it. It's showing at one theater here until only the end of the week, with only two showtimes daily, so I had to do it now or not see it in a movie house.

Long story short, this movie has gotten a bad rap in the reviews. I don't understand it. It has to be critics parroting each other, or just being intentionally and maliciously hypercritical because George Clooney made it.

I'll start by saying, as many of you already know, that I am not a Coen Brothers fan. I don't appreciate their style, and don't like their apparent assumption that violence is the primary human coping reaction. I haven't thought they were funny since 'Raising Arizona,' and haven't been able to sit through anything of theirs since 'Fargo.' In other words, I didn't go in expecting much.

But this movie is well-produced, engagingly acted, and deftly directed.

It's not great or "brilliant," IMO. But it's not the kind of movie I 'enjoy,' so take that with a grain of salt. Having said that, I think George did a better job handling the violence than the Coens do.

The critics' point that the story of the Black family being an afterthought is way off the mark. The Myers are the only family that meets the idyllic 'perfect neighbor' profile of Suburbicon, and that's the whole point. They are the silent juxtaposition to the monstrosities of the superficially good White folks.

The writer in me noted a couple of spots (okay, a few) where some tweaks to some scenes and one or two brief new ones would have addressed this issue. But as a movie watcher, I was more than satisfied.

BTW, the editing is excellent.

My personal criticism/opinion -- which is worth exactly the amount you're paying for it -- is that George and Grant write like people who know their movie is going to get made. It's something that happens to successful filmmakers. (Judd Apatow comes to mind.) It's not laziness, I don't think. It's more a matter of being imprecise, or too comfortable with that first or second creative impulse. A spec writer would not have missed those tweaks.

I'm actually kind of hard-pressed to think of a movie this year that's noticeably better than 'Suburbicon.' In fact, this may be the only one besides 'The Big Sick' that didn't leave my mind as soon as the credits rolled. (But I honestly can't remember which movies were this year or last, so again, grain of salt.)

Definitely a good one. Our guy done good.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 30 Nov 2017, 01:02

Way2Old - Now you've got me upset that I wasn't able to catch it before it was pulled from the theaters. I absolutely trust your judgment. Do you think maybe George and Grant miss those tweaks because neither of them comes from a writing background? Do they not see the weak spots until it's too late - or do they not see them at all?

It seems like all their films have the same kinds of weaknesses. I really wish they would hook up with a writing partner or script doctor who could catch this kind of thing before they start production. Why don't you volunteer? I bet you could straighten them out.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Thu 30 Nov 2017, 01:24

Smile
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Thu 30 Nov 2017, 02:56

Lizzy, I don't think George and Grant recognize the weak spots. Or, if they do, there's something telling them that the acting talent can make it work on screen. That might be the result of working with the same people, or friends, that they can "see" doing the scene. I don't know. I think they know very well how to construct a movie, but the nuances that make a script shine require more of a writer's instinct.

So, how did they write 'Good Night, and Good Luck,' which, BTW, I read at least once a year because it's one of my favorite screenplays, ever? One, it was lightning in a bottle. But also, I think they were writing with a lot more anxiety than they have now, and anxiety makes writers strive for perfection and reluctantly settle for excellence.

As for the volunteer gig...? Sure. Next time I run into them at the sushi place, or the pub, I'll bring it up.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 30 Nov 2017, 14:36

Way2Old - I think you might be right. I think it might be a combination of not actually seeing the weak spots and being a little too comfortable to keep tweaking. I guess if they're willing to settle for the kind of reviews they've been getting - well, that's their business. I just know that if it was me, I'd be doing a lot of soul searching to figure out what I was doing wrong and trying to figure out how to fix it.

I know George's priorities are shifting, and they should with the twins' arrival, but I'd hate to think movie making is becoming just a hobby for him.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Thu 30 Nov 2017, 17:04

Way2Old4Dis wrote:So, how did they write 'Good Night, and Good Luck,' which, BTW, I read at least once a year because it's one of my favorite screenplays, ever? One, it was lightning in a bottle. But also, I think they were writing with a lot more anxiety than they have now, and anxiety makes writers strive for perfection and reluctantly settle for excellence.

Hi Way 2, 

As you know I absolutely loved this movie.  Like you, the movie was still very present in my mind for days;  I wanted to remember this scene or that scene.  The surprises regarding how scenes were constructed came to my mind and was still very present in my mind days later.  

You stated:  "I think they were writing with a lot more anxiety than they have now, and anxiety makes writers strive for perfection and reluctantly settle for excellence."  

I know you had some criticism, maybe not perfect however, do you give "Suburbicon" the nod of excellence" regarding the writing.  

You also stated: "Long story short, this movie has gotten a bad rap in the reviews. I don't understand it. It has to be critics parroting each other, or just being intentionally and maliciously hypercritical because George Clooney made it." also "But this movie is well-produced, engagingly acted, and deftly directed."

I agree with you  100%
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 30 Nov 2017, 19:56

Very Happy cheers
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Thu 21 Dec 2017, 16:41

Matt defended George, saying what we already thought, that the reviews were personal attack to George:

Guerrasio: Now that's what makes what you put out this year quite a feat. Both "Downsizing" and "Suburbicon" are very challenging movies, but a big studio, Paramount, released both of them.
Damon: Yeah. And I hope this one does better than "Suburbicon." I mean, I wouldn’t change a frame of "Suburbicon."

Guerrasio: I’ll be 100% honest with you, I wasn't totally into "Suburbicon" —
Damon: Many felt the same way.

Guerrasio: But what I will say is I love it when you do the off-the-rail roles. 
Damon: I did back-to-back-to-back "The Martian," "The Great Wall," "Jason Bourne," and George called in the middle of making "Jason Bourne" and it really was a chance to work with George that interested me. But I love the concept of the movie. As you say, it was really something different. I had never been able to do something like that. 

Guerrasio: When the movie comes out and isn't the reaction you guys obviously were hoping for, can you just move on? Or are you a person that at 2 AM has to go online and read the reviews?
Damon: In that situation it's easier for me than George. He spent two years on it and it does sting. It was made for a price. It's a calculated miss, but it sucks. And nowadays, when the reviews come out, it's almost like the reviewers are trying to one-up each other to see how creatively they can abuse a movie. And when movies are made in good faith you can tell. You can tell when one is a cash grab and one is not. And you may not like the movie, but you can see when it's crafted at a certain level. I think it deserves a different level of review. 

Guerrasio: Well, we do live in a world where the headline rules all.
Damon: Yes! Exactly. And I thought the reviews were oddly personal in terms of how they attacked George. Julianne [Moore] and I, we were kind of let off the hook, but they really went after George. 
Guerrasio: And I think some of that is people respect his work as a director, so when they see something like this movie they are kind of in shock how much of a swing and miss it was.
Damon: Yeah, but then say that! I get that. But you also want people to take big swings because sometimes they connect. 

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 21 Dec 2017, 17:14

Doug Ross - Great find. Thanks for posting. Thumbs up!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Thu 21 Dec 2017, 18:51

Doug Ross wrote:Matt defended George, saying what we already thought, that the reviews were personal attack to George:

Guerrasio: Now that's what makes what you put out this year quite a feat. Both "Downsizing" and "Suburbicon" are very challenging movies, but a big studio, Paramount, released both of them.
Damon: Yeah. And I hope this one does better than "Suburbicon." I mean, I wouldn’t change a frame of "Suburbicon."

Guerrasio: I’ll be 100% honest with you, I wasn't totally into "Suburbicon" —
Damon: Many felt the same way.

Guerrasio: But what I will say is I love it when you do the off-the-rail roles. 
Damon: I did back-to-back-to-back "The Martian," "The Great Wall," "Jason Bourne," and George called in the middle of making "Jason Bourne" and it really was a chance to work with George that interested me. But I love the concept of the movie. As you say, it was really something different. I had never been able to do something like that. 

Guerrasio: When the movie comes out and isn't the reaction you guys obviously were hoping for, can you just move on? Or are you a person that at 2 AM has to go online and read the reviews?
Damon: In that situation it's easier for me than George. He spent two years on it and it does sting. It was made for a price. It's a calculated miss, but it sucks. And nowadays, when the reviews come out, it's almost like the reviewers are trying to one-up each other to see how creatively they can abuse a movie. And when movies are made in good faith you can tell. You can tell when one is a cash grab and one is not. And you may not like the movie, but you can see when it's crafted at a certain level. I think it deserves a different level of review. 

Guerrasio: Well, we do live in a world where the headline rules all.
Damon: Yes! Exactly. And I thought the reviews were oddly personal in terms of how they attacked George. Julianne [Moore] and I, we were kind of let off the hook, but they really went after George. 
Guerrasio: And I think some of that is people respect his work as a director, so when they see something like this movie they are kind of in shock how much of a swing and miss it was.
Damon: Yeah, but then say that! I get that. But you also want people to take big swings because sometimes they connect. 

Interesting...
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 22 Dec 2017, 04:22

Thanks Doug Ross for the post.  Really interesting thoughts from Matt and telling how he felt George takes the criticism personally in a way that Matt as an actor doesn’t. From George’s interviews about ‘Suburbicon’ he seemed really proud of this film and had a strong sense of its point of view.  I imagine the harsh reviews must have been rough for George to read.  Got to have a thick skin to shake it off and move on.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 22 Dec 2017, 09:29

Totally agree, Donnamarie, and unfortunately Matt Damon is not flavour of the month at the moment.

Actually if you look a lot deeper, I think there's a lot of other stuff going on here. Take Variety for instance. Owner Jay Penske, son of Roger Penske, Racing car magnate and part of superpac for Mitt Romney. New owners of Rolling Stone....

Pretty sure George will have figured it out - and all credit to Matt...........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Fri 22 Dec 2017, 16:25

Donnamarie wrote:Thanks Doug Ross for the post.  Really interesting thoughts from Matt and telling how he felt George takes the criticism personally in a way that Matt as an actor doesn’t. From George’s interviews about ‘Suburbicon’ he seemed really proud of this film and had a strong sense of its point of view.  I imagine the harsh reviews must have been rough for George to read.  Got to have a thick skin to shake it off and move on.
I can only imagine it's difficult for George Clooney to hear the negative reviews.  Most people who saw "Suburbicon" will tell you it is  well written, well directed, well acted film.  So that tells you there is more going on then the eyes can see. 

Unfortunately those who have not seen the movie, only have the critics remarks to go on.  As savvy as the people on COH are, I'm very surprise they've taken the critics remarks and used them to make judgments on a movie the have not seen.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 22 Dec 2017, 16:58

If anything, I think the people here on COH have taken the position that the critics have judged the movie unfairly. Some of it is undoubtably due to politics but I'm sure even more is due to the game of one-ups-manship the critics play. They love nothing more than to "take down" someone at the top of their game. It gives them a sense of importance they really haven't done anything to deserve.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sat 23 Dec 2017, 11:27

Oh George.... the darkest hour is just before dawn....  

He has to take it personally, he has to feel the pain the irritation and even question his own motives and the results there of.....

HE HAS TO ..... because if he doesn’t go through all those emotions he won’t come out stronger, more creative a better man....

You have to go through the fire to come out tougher... In years to come he may look back and say this was part of what made him better and better... 

Personally, for me, I hope so.... I perceived he was slowing down, embracing the Old Chairman of Hollywood mantle enjoying it just a bit too much for my liking....
Now he is like a young buck again, George back on his boys couch, rising up out the door ready to prove himself again.... He has to, no one can do it for him, he is self employed and at the back of the audition line.... he has to nudge Hanks, Brosnan, Pitt all other actors out of the way....He has to get the movies every other Director wants to direct.... 

I know you will say he has a loaded bank account doesn’t need the roles or the screenplays?....yep your right.....

But he needs his name back.... He needs George Clooney back in the room.... back from ground zero....back comes the Hero.....

The old saying “leave them wanting more”.....right now if he leaves no one will notice..... He has to start again, he has been through much, make it worth it, build on it....make your past count for something, the good and the bad are all building blocks of the same size.... it’s what you do with them that counts.....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 23 Dec 2017, 13:57

WWHS - I think you described his situation perfectly. How did you get so wise?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Tue 16 Jan 2018, 22:10

Totally agree.

Suburbicon made just under $6M total during its domestic theatrical release. No matter how you do the math, that is a financial flop. And it's all on George. He won't leave it at that.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Tue 16 Jan 2018, 22:42

What Would He Say wrote:Oh George.... the darkest hour is just before dawn....  

He has to take it personally, he has to feel the pain the irritation and even question his own motives and the results there of.....

HE HAS TO ..... because if he doesn’t go through all those emotions he won’t come out stronger, more creative a better man....

You have to go through the fire to come out tougher... In years to come he may look back and say this was part of what made him better and better... 

Personally, for me, I hope so.... I perceived he was slowing down, embracing the Old Chairman of Hollywood mantle enjoying it just a bit too much for my liking....
Now he is like a young buck again, George back on his boys couch, rising up out the door ready to prove himself again.... He has to, no one can do it for him, he is self employed and at the back of the audition line.... he has to nudge Hanks, Brosnan, Pitt all other actors out of the way....He has to get the movies every other Director wants to direct.... 

I know you will say he has a loaded bank account doesn’t need the roles or the screenplays?....yep your right.....

But he needs his name back.... He needs George Clooney back in the room.... back from ground zero....back comes the Hero.....

The old saying “leave them wanting more”.....right now if he leaves no one will notice..... He has to start again, he has been through much, make it worth it, build on it....make your past count for something, the good and the bad are all building blocks of the same size.... it’s what you do with them that counts.....
WWHS did you see "Suburbicon"?
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 08 Feb 2018, 19:09

FYI, ‘Suburbicon’ is just out on Blue-Ray DVD in the stores here in the US. It’s available right now on Amazon to rent or buy.  I’m going to try and watch it this weekend:)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 11 Feb 2018, 03:24

It's available on You'Tube now, too for $3.99.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sun 25 Feb 2018, 17:24

So... I have all ten Oscar-nominated Best Screenplay scripts, and I have to say, Suburbicon reads better than two of the Original Screenplay noms. I think if here hadn't been such a pile-on in the reviews, it would have had a chance. Not that it's great or flawless, but it's better written, IMO, than The Shape of Water and Lady Bird.

... which is interesting, because Lady Bird was a better movie than its script, which is probably why it got the screenplay/acting nominations; but a good script like Suburbicon can't get nominated unless the picture and performances are recognized.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 19 Apr 2018, 06:59

I was finally able to buy the SuburbiconDVD but then hesitated to watch it. I didn't want my kids to show up every five minutes or my husband answering the phone constantly inbetween or making negative comments about it.
Since many reviews were that negative, I wanted to watch it without any influence which i did two nights ago.

I REALLY LIKED THE MOVIE!

I loved the combination of the two stories with hardly any contact, the creepy imagination that a mob tries to get a black family leaving their neighborhood while two people kill others and nobody notices it, and in the end the community blames the black family for all the incidents. It also shows the different aspects and problems of desegregation: Whites fearing increasing violation and that their homes depreciate and repeat the prejudices which were named everywhere (and haven't changed much since the 1950s). The black family who must feel like animals in a zoo, constantly stared at and eyed suspiciously. These scenes where the Myers' house is corraled to spare the neughbors their sight, where Mrs Myers tries to buy goods in a supermarket and can't get any, is offended by the shop owner and fights for keeping her dignity because she knows thateverybody's watching her. Where the mob besieging the Myers' house gets out of control and nobody stops them, there's no voice of reason. The Myers are obviously on a mission, trying to show the white community that blacks are just as white, but nobody listens to them. The only person who treats them as nornak, seems to be Nicky.

But the storyline is Matt's character who seems to get darker and more dislikeable with every minute. He's responsible for his wife's handicap but sees her as a burden and wants to get rid of her. He doesn't care about killing people and even  threatens his son with death. 

Last night I rewatched the movie with my husband who in the end just said 'wow!' and mentioned that ir's not an easy film to watch.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 19 Apr 2018, 07:49

Thanks for your review !
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Thu 19 Apr 2018, 15:33

Carol,

I'm so glad you watched this movie.  I love this movie so much.  What I love more than anything is evil does not win, and the African American family does not move.

Even though unthinkable crimes happen with the White Family, the "news" report of the White Family is in front of Meyer's home.  I don't think the Black Family is blamed, however the news report plants a seed to mislead the reporting.  George Clooney's minds eye to write and orchestrate that scene is just brilliant in my opinion.  I don't want to give things away, I'm going to PM you.

The scene with the two children leaves you with the understanding things did get better.  As a society, I don't think we really understand how color conscious we are.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 24 Apr 2018, 20:41

I know that "I'm late to the party" but I've just watched
Suburbicon on Amazon Prime.....for free !

Although I agree with many of the comments by posters
here that it's a well made and well edited film,
it's left me feeling very uncomfortable and I did skip 
through a few scenes as I wanted it to finish. LOL.

I"m pleased that I didn't buy the DVD and I don't think 
that I could watch it again.

On a positive note I thought that Noah Jube played
his part as Andy brilliantly and the final shot left 
some positive feeling after a rather dark raw feeling
that the film left me feeling.

Carol......You have expressed the feeling about the final shot 
far better than I've done......I'm pleased that you too felt that
positive vibe !     sunny
Joanna
Joanna