George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Let's Convince George to run for President!
Twitter link to the United Nations at 3-5 today NYC time EmptyThu 25 Jul 2024, 15:27 by LizzyNY

» An open letter to George Clooney
Twitter link to the United Nations at 3-5 today NYC time EmptyMon 22 Jul 2024, 22:48 by LizzyNY

» Chit Chat 2022
Twitter link to the United Nations at 3-5 today NYC time EmptyMon 22 Jul 2024, 12:45 by Ida

» joe-biden-drops-out-2024-election-presidential-race-7555388
Twitter link to the United Nations at 3-5 today NYC time EmptyMon 22 Jul 2024, 01:00 by annemariew

» Topical piece about George and his politics
Twitter link to the United Nations at 3-5 today NYC time EmptySun 21 Jul 2024, 19:42 by annemariew

» George calls for Joe Biden to drop out
Twitter link to the United Nations at 3-5 today NYC time EmptyFri 12 Jul 2024, 20:44 by LizzyNY

» Lifetime Achievements
Twitter link to the United Nations at 3-5 today NYC time EmptyThu 11 Jul 2024, 13:23 by Odysseus

» Biden at George fundraiser instead of Zelensky
Twitter link to the United Nations at 3-5 today NYC time EmptySun 07 Jul 2024, 13:28 by LizzyNY

» Amal had key role in ICC bid to have both Hamas and Israeli leaders arrested
Twitter link to the United Nations at 3-5 today NYC time EmptyThu 04 Jul 2024, 20:43 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Twitter link to the United Nations at 3-5 today NYC time

+5
ladybugcngc
LizzyNY
Donnamarie
carolhathaway
party animal - not!
9 posters

Go down

Twitter link to the United Nations at 3-5 today NYC time Empty Twitter link to the United Nations at 3-5 today NYC time

Post by party animal - not! Thu 09 Mar 2017, 16:29

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nadia has also done a big interview with Gloria Steinem on International Womens Day

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Twitter link to the United Nations at 3-5 today NYC time Empty Re: Twitter link to the United Nations at 3-5 today NYC time

Post by carolhathaway Thu 09 Mar 2017, 22:01

Don't know if you were able to watch the UN livestream (or if anybody wanted to watch it), but for me it didn't start. I just found a short video of her speech:

carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Twitter link to the United Nations at 3-5 today NYC time Empty Re: Twitter link to the United Nations at 3-5 today NYC time

Post by Donnamarie Thu 09 Mar 2017, 22:08

Thanks carol for the video.  Shaking my head at the video title "Pregnant Amal Clooney Speaks Out At United Nations".  'Pregnant'? Not International human rights lawyer or just lawyer? No

Last edited by Donnamarie on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 22:17; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 09 Mar 2017, 22:18

Here's also an article about her speech - and Nadia's!

carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 09 Mar 2017, 22:25

Donna,
It's like the description b. p. ('before pregnancy') about Amal was'wife of George Clooney', and now it's the adjective'pregnant'. I assume when the babies are born, it's going to be 'twin-mom' or 'mom-of-two'.

Did you see this link in the other thread?
That's exactly what it's about...

I really love the last sentence: "Besides the baby-bump business, Clooney is also hanging around the U.N to urge them to investigate ISIS for genocide."

Last edited by carolhathaway on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 22:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added text)
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 09 Mar 2017, 22:30

PAN - Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I only caught the last half hour, but it was very interesting. Noticed that Amal was one of the last to leave - busy talking to everyone. I bet she's going home to put her feet up and call George.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 09 Mar 2017, 22:57

Me too, Lizzy, but i think there's a replay system on the UNtv website.

Fascinating stuff. All those people she knows. And the endless diplomacy and photos - and patience! And Nadia is so very impressive

On the political side delighted to learn the UK and Iraq are taking the lead. Must look at the speeches some time.

Amazing what we're learning - from George's wife!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Fri 10 Mar 2017, 01:23

George's wife... the thought makes my heart dance!!!  l'm happy George found someone to share his life with.

There's a lot of talk about genocide.  Is genocide a count included in the Yazidis case Amal is prosecuting?
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 10 Mar 2017, 09:18

I just found a very impressive article by Reuters, done after the speech at the UN, it also includes a short interview video with Amal and Nadia.

carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Fri 10 Mar 2017, 10:33

Another video of her speech:
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Fri 10 Mar 2017, 10:58

LizzyNY wrote:PAN - Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I only caught the last half hour, but it was very interesting. Noticed that Amal was one of the last to leave - busy talking to everyone. I bet she's going home to put her feet up and call George.
George is busy discussing and reviewing the reactions they got from Suburbicon testing. Once he's done his job in LA, I assume they're flying back to London from NY together. Amal could just stay in NY waiting for her husband to come.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Tulips Fri 10 Mar 2017, 11:36

A really good article.

Morning Mix
[size=40]A lawyer named Amal Clooney gave a powerful speech at U.N. Some only saw her baby bump.

[/size]

By Samantha Schmidt [size=14]March 10 at 5:38 AM 

An accomplished, international human rights lawyer delivered a potent call for action at the United Nations on Thursday, urging the organization to back an investigation into crimes committed by the Islamic State in Iraq.

“I am speaking to you, the Iraqi government, and to you, U.N. member states, when I ask: Why? Why has nothing been done?” Amal Clooney, the British-Lebanese barrister who represents victims of ISIS rapes and kidnappings, said.

She implored Iraq and the world’s nations: “Don’t let ISIS get away with genocide.”

It was a day after International Women’s Day, and a renown female lawyer was giving a powerful speech addressing one of the world’s most pressing humanitarian threats.

But a number of headlines seemed to focus elsewhere: her baby bump. And her daffodil-yellow dress and matching coat. Oh, and in case anyone forgot, she’s married to Hollywood movie star George Clooney.

The tabloid Mirror published the headline, “Amal Clooney is a vision in yellow as she shows off hint of baby bump in chic dress.” Entertainment Tonight went with, “Amal Clooney Stuns in Yellow While Delivering Passionate Speech at the United Nations.”

The day before the speech, Motto, Time Inc.’s website aimed at younger women, displayed the headline “Amal Clooney Shows Off Her Baby Bump at the United Nations,” publishing an article written by People magazine, which began:

[/size]
Amal Clooney was all business on International Women’s Day. The mom-to-be (who also happens to be married to George Clooney) stepped out outside the United Nations headquarters in New York City on Wednesday, showing off her baby bump in a dark gray pencil skirt and matching cropped blazer.

Then there was E! News: “Amal Clooney Shows Baby Bump in What Could be the Ultimate International Women’s Day Poster.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Amal Clooney speaks at “The Fight against Impunity for Atrocities: Bringing Da’esh to Justice” at the United Nations on March 9 in New York. /Kena Betancur/AFP/Getty Images

And how about “Amal Clooney Puts Her Growing Baby Bump on Display In Chic Yellow Dress for U.N. Speech” in Hollywood Life.

Some of the baby-bump hoopla made it seem as though the lawyer was gallivanting on a beach in a bathing suit, “showing off” her pregnant belly, or posing for a photographer in a Beyoncé-esque, flower-adorned pregnancy announcement, resting her hand on her bare stomach.

Those watching her speech would have hardly noticed her barely-visible bump, unless, of course, they were specifically looking for it. Most were more focused on her impassioned address, which she attended with her client, Nadia Murad, a young Yazidi woman who was enslaved and raped by Islamic State militants.

Even some of the mainstream press made sure to include references to Clooney’s husband. The second sentence of the Associated Press’s article noted the lawyer is “the wife of actor George Clooney.”

On Tuesday, one question in an interview with BBC News spurred angry, eye-rolling tweets.

“The fact that you are now not just a human right’s lawyer but you are known, obviously because of your marriage to one of Hollywood’s biggest stars, does that help in terms of giving you a bigger platform and getting more people to listen to you?” the reporter asked.

The barrister gave no reaction to the subtle reference to her marriage, and responded by saying a great deal of her work “takes place behind closed doors” and is never seen. If more people now understand what is happening regarding ISIS and the Yazidis, and some action can result from the extra publicity, she said, then it is a “really good thing.”

Clooney is a barrister for Doughty Street Chambers in London and represents clients before the International Criminal Court, the International Court of Justice and the European Court of Human Rights as well other domestic courts in the United Kingdom and the U.S. She served as a senior adviser to Kofi Annan when he was the U.N.’s envoy on Syria, and was counsel to the U.K. inquiry on the use of armed drones, in addition to serving on the country’s team of experts on preventing sexual violence in conflict zones.

During her studies at St. Hugh’s College, Oxford University she won the Shrigley Award, and later received a Masters of Law degree from New York University School of Law, where she earned the Jack J. Katz Memorial Award for excellence in entertainment law. Before the lawyer, whose maiden name is Alamuddin, married George Clooney, she had represented clients such as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in extradition proceedings in the U.K. and former Ukrainian Prime Minister Yuila Tymonshenko before the European Court of Human Rights.

Of course, she’s not just any accomplished barrister. She became a celebrity with her marriage to Clooney, making headlines for her red carpet gowns at awards shows and Hollywood premieres. But at many of these public outings, as one writer put it, the “consummate feminist superhero” appears unimpressed.

“As George leads Amal through the crowd in his baggy jeans looking docile and outclassed, Amal pulls all the focus,” wrote Heather Havrilesky in a May 2015 piece in New York Magazine’s The Cut. “She doesn’t have time for this foolishness.”

“In other words, if we want to hear Amal talk, she’ll be talking about human rights,” Havrilesky continued. “She won’t be talking about love and marriage and babies. That’s George’s job. He’s the man behind the woman. Which is a pretty unfamiliar, teachable moment for George and for America.”

In her speech to the U.N. Wednesday, which prompted Twitter praisefrom Nikki Haley, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Clooney urged Iraq’s Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi to send a letter to the U.N. Security Council so it can vote to begin investigating crimes by ISIS in Iraq. The U.K. is drafting a Security Council resolution to establish the U.N. investigation, but Clooney said the Iraqi government needs to send the letter formally requesting it.

[ISIS dumped bodies in a desert sinkhole. It may be years before we know the full scale of the killings.

Clooney came to the U.N. six months ago seeking accountability for victims of the militant group, but she said nothing has happened in the time since.

“Instead, mass graves in Iraq still lie unprotected and un-exhumed,” Clooney said. “Witnesses are fleeing. And there is still not one ISIS militant who has faced trial for international crimes anywhere in the world.”

Tulips
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 10 Mar 2017, 13:55

Time magazine also described her appearance at the UN really nicely by tweeting 'Amal Clooney shows off her baby bump at the United Nations', and I really enjoyed the comments:

carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 10 Mar 2017, 14:37

This is why I won't call myself a feminist:
When asked how her marriage affects her career (a reasonable question):

"On Tuesday, one question in an interview with BBC News  spurred angry, eye- rolling tweets. "

"Of course, she’s not just any accomplished barrister. She became a celebrity with her marriage to Clooney, making headlines for her red carpet gowns at awards shows and Hollywood premieres. But at many of these public outings, as one writer put it, the “consummate feminist superhero” appears unimpressed."

This is sycophantic drivel that reveals more about the author than her subject.Unless I'm much mistaken Amal chooses to present herself the way she does at these events. If she feels they're so beneath her notice why does she bother to attend, let alone get all glammed up for them? 

“As George leads Amal through the crowd in his baggy jeans looking docile and outclassed, Amal pulls all the focus,” wrote Heather Havrilesky in a May 2015 piece in New York Magazine’s The Cut. “She doesn’t have time for this foolishness.”

“In other words, if we want to hear Amal talk, she’ll be talking about human rights,” Havrilesky continued. “She won’t be talking about love and marriage and babies. That’s George’s job. He’s the man behind the woman. Which is a pretty unfamiliar, teachable moment for George and for America.”

How f***ing condescending! :"docile and outclassed"!! And how dismissive of the worth of another human being, and by extension half the human population. Amal couldn't possibly be married to someone equally worthy of respect - how could he be? He's a man! I'm sure if Amal was a lesbian her partner would be considered equally as wonderful as she is in this author's mind. How strident and immature.

I'm sorry I'm ranting, especially as I think what Amal is trying to do is worthy of high praise. This article rightly points out that the media is ignoring the true focus of her business in NY. I just wish they could have done it without the feminist bullshit. IMO we won't even come close to solving society's problems until we recognize the worth of all human beings - male and female - and treat them all with equal respect.

End of rant. Mea culpa! Je m'excuse.

LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Fri 10 Mar 2017, 15:24

The Reuters interview video:
Dail Mail with more pics:
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 10 Mar 2017, 15:45

It is disappointing how the media can play into stereotypical rhetoric when they focus on powerful women in the workforce.

I think George and Amal keep their eyes on the ball and try to avoid these distractions. What Amal says about shining a light on important causes is right out of George's playbook. They block out the noise and stay focused on their work. How either of them dresses is beside the point. Sadly much of the media can't get beyond that.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Fri 10 Mar 2017, 15:53

Donnamarie wrote:It is disappointing how the media can play into stereotypical rhetoric when they focus on powerful women in the workforce.  

I think George and Amal keep their eyes on the ball and try to avoid these distractions.  What Amal says about shining a light on important causes is right out of George's playbook.  They block out the noise and stay focused on their work.  How either of them dresses is beside the point.  Sadly much of the media can't get beyond that.
Amal has an active style/fashion blog. Fashion seems to be a significant part of her lifestyle.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 10 Mar 2017, 16:16

Amal is an international human rights lawyer. She also loves fashion and anyone who knows about Amal is aware of that. The media chooses how to present its stories. It can choose to let Amal's work drive the narrative or her fashion sense. Strong and successful women are more than just the clothes they wear. I guess I don't know your point ladybug.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Fri 10 Mar 2017, 16:47

Donnamarie wrote:Amal is an international human rights lawyer.  She also loves fashion and anyone who knows about Amal is aware of that. The media chooses how to present its stories.  It can choose to let Amal's work drive the narrative or her fashion sense. Strong and successful women are more than just the clothes they wear.  I guess I don't know your point ladybug.
I find political/legal news analysts focus on her legal work with bits about her fashion.  And I find style/fashion magazines focus on her fashion with bits about her legal work.  I like you believe George and Amal cut out the noise and stay focused.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 10 Mar 2017, 19:39

This is a really powerful tweet

Loved her whole speech - and with the Iraqi prime minister there - 'just send a letter to the UN so that investigations can start and evidence collected'

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 10 Mar 2017, 19:55

But they haven't committed to do so, have they? This isn't going to end any time soon. I wouldn't be surprised if six months from now she could return and give the same speech.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 10 Mar 2017, 21:32

Totally agree, Lizzy, and I can only imagine what could cause the lack of political will in Iraq, but as the Iraqi Army are in some terrible battles with ISIS right now in Mosul I suspect that might be something to do with it.  Amal must be well aware of the situation on the ground too, but she has to lay the groundwork at the UN for fear of all the evidence being destroyed.

I think her straight talking is to be really admired though. Very no-nonsense.

Like this

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 10 Mar 2017, 21:33

I just watched the whole event with all speeches, Nadia's was very touching, adding personal experiences and showing the disappointment that nothing has happened since their last approval at the UN.
If anybody's interested:

carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 10 Mar 2017, 21:41

Lizzy,
they ride very slow horses, and don't forget that there are always different interests involved who are contradictory.
So - as frustrating as it is - you have to work on a diplomatic level to succeed. Does anybody remember what I said at least one year ago about Amal's work? I'm sure she often works on a diplomatic level because when you want to accuse leaders of countries, they don't want to lose face and power. So you have to put pressure on them to succeed, and this works if other politicians and leaders of countries support you...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 10 Mar 2017, 21:55

Thanks for the link to the proceedings carol.
You are right in that any positive action by the Iraqis will take perseverance, patience and lots of diplomacy on the part of Amal's legal team. Both Amal and Nadia had powerful words to say.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 10 Mar 2017, 22:37

Carolhathaway - I understand that working within the restrictions of diplomacy might make it very slow going. I can also understand that, although frustrating for those trying to build a legal case and preserve evidence, it will take as long as it takes. The important legal point is that eventually ISIS is held to account.

The thing is, sitting in relative safety and comfort, I can't help thinking how desperate and immediate this all is for the people on the ground - not only in Iraq and Syria, but S.Sudan and Ukraine and all the trouble spots around the world. Too many governments seem to be like the government in S. Sudan - corrupt and actively working against the interests of their citizens. I don't think they really care who ISIS kills or how many die as long as it isn't them. (Sadly I have to count our new president and his cronies in that group.)

Do you think the UN has enough support from the world community to have an impact? I'm not so sure anymore.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 10 Mar 2017, 23:26

Lizzy,
I can only agree with you.
Single countries convince their own residents when they return after having fought for ISIS, and that's one way to fight it.
If you think about the Security Counsil at the UN, they need an unanimous assent - and the last votings about Syria were always blocked by Russia.

Maybe it's also - it may sound strange, but - we're getting used to watch this horror happening live, every day, in our news. 24/7, if we want. There are wars, civil wars,  putsches etc. And we get the feeling that it never ends. If, and that's primarily to  the other Europeans here, we think about terror attacks during the last years, what comes to our minds? Paris, Brussels, maybe Berlin. What about Istanbul and other cities in Turkey, the Middle East and Africa? If we watch TV, a terror attack in Europe gets headlines and attention for weeks, while one in Asia or Africa would be mentioned at the end of the news in one brief sentence. Another famine in Africa? Terror in Yemen? Africa is starving, and the Middle East is burning, but as long as we can sit in our comfort zone, we can watch it with a distance. Although it's not the distance. I mean, 9/11 was thousands of miles away, and it still shocks me when the Twin Towers collapse (we just watched it on youtube with our kids). While the civil war in former Yugoslawia was much nearer, but the people there didn't die within two hours but within years. But that's not the issue, even bomb attacks don't get as much attention, even if many more people are killed.

So is the UN a powerful organization or just a paper tiger?
I don't know...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 10 Mar 2017, 23:29

So true, Lizzy.  And as of tonight there are four famines in the world - that's twenty million people in danger of dying and the UN also have serious evidence they have given today of another possible genocide of Kurds and they have accused Turkey - who is a member of NATO and wants to become part of the EU!

No wonder the UN is reeling! - 

They are so restricted in what they can do in places like South Sudan where they are attacked that staff are not allowed to stay for very long in places like
Displaced Persons Camps for the good of their own safety and health.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 11 Mar 2017, 00:34

You know, I've often wondered lately (and I do know this sounds simplistic and naive, but...) - with all the satellites we have flying above us - why can't the relief organizations get coordinates from them and air-drop relief supplies via parachute or something? There must be some way to get food to these people without having to go through all the dangers at ground level.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Sat 11 Mar 2017, 01:08

This is interesting...
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 11 Mar 2017, 01:53

Yep Sevens. You'd expect a comment like that from Daily Mail, People or US Magazine. But Time Magazine?
A hard news organization. It's disappointing.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 11 Mar 2017, 02:03

I had to laugh. The Daily News printed the story about the bump at the UN AND the story about the furor over Time's coverage -even though they had just done the same thing!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 15 Mar 2017, 18:15

ladybugcngc wrote:Amal has an active style/fashion blog. Fashion seems to be a significant part of her lifestyle.
Yes, but as far as I know, that blog has nothing to do with her,or am I wrong there? The fact that someone has decided to create a site for her (much as we have a site for George here) has no bearing on how she wants to be perceived and certainly doesn't excuse the way the media focus their attention on what she looks like when she's doing something that's way more important than wearing clothes.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 16 Mar 2017, 01:24

Daily Kos had this today.

(If someone can post actual article that would be great!)

After sexist Amal Clooney coverage, CJR shares two simple rules for reporting on women's bodies

Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 16 Mar 2017, 01:56

Here you go Donnamarie

[size=42]After sexist Amal Clooney coverage, CJR shares two simple rules for reporting on women's bodies[/size]

By wagatwe  
Tuesday Mar 14, 2017 · 6:45 PM EDT

120 Comments (120 New)

Didn't hear about human right attorney Amal Clooney's address to the United Nations? You're not alone.
 RSS
REBLOGGED BY

• [url=http://www.dailykos.com/blogs/This Week in the War on Women]This Week in the War on Women[/url]
  • Recommended

[size]
TAGS
[/size]

• Recommended
  • Sexism
  • amalclooney

Share this article

[size]
Media has a sexism problem. Or perhaps saying “Sexism has a media problem” is more accurate. Either way, women have struggled to be taken seriously by individuals and media platforms alike.
That’s why headlines likeThe Daily Mail’s “Wearing 4½in heels at 6 months pregnant … is that wise, Amal?” or tweets like “Amal Clooney shows off her baby bump at the United Nations” reigned after Amal Clooney delivered a powerful speech at the United Nations. Instead of coverage about the speech or the issues behind her calls for an investigation into alleged crimes done by the Islamic State in Iraq, pop media focused on her body and appearance instead of the great work that comes from her brain.

[/size]

Follow
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Nicholas Kristof 

@NickKristof
[ltr]Oh, c'mon. Better headline: Human rights lawyer Amal Clooney calls for action at U.N. against genocide and mass rape of the Yazidi people. https://twitter.com/TIME/status/840004347337551877 …[/ltr]
10:22 AM - 10 Mar 2017

•  

•  2,3972,397 Retweets

•  5,4055,405 likes

[size]

Why should we care about how TIME writes about Clooney or Slate covers Malia Obama’s internship wear? Columbia Journalism Review explains:
[/size]
Ignoring the actual work of brilliant women to gawk at their bodies is both sexist and irresponsible. It’s sexist because it reduces women to objects to be viewed while men, of course, don’t get the same treatment. I haven’t seen any reports lately about the stomachs, clothes, or shoes of male human-rights advocates. It’s irresponsible because it shifts focus away from the bodies of murdered civilians and onto the body of a celebrity. It leaves readers uninformed about one of the most pressing issues of our time.
[size]
In the era of alternative facts, we need media to focus on the issues now more than ever. So here’s the two simple rules the Columbia Journal Review says to follow if you want to avoid prioritizing celebrity baby bumps over calls to action over terrorism.

1) Only report a person’s appearance if it’s relevant to the story.

[/size]
In situations when a woman’s external appearance has nothing to do with the activities she’s pursuing, there’s no reason or excuse for commenting on it. Rather, reporters should report on the activities the woman is pursuing.
Much of the interest in Clooney’s body seemed to stem from the fact that she married Hollywood actor George Clooney. But a woman’s choice of partner isn’t an excuse to trivialize her based on appearance.
[size]

2) If your platform must report on the fashion choices of women, do it for men, too.

[/size]
Newsroom policy should also demand that if a media outlet is going to report on the bodies of women, then they should also report on the bodies of men in a similar fashion. That way women won’t be singled out for objectification. I somehow can’t imagine Time following through on its tweet if it required also covering the UN Secretary-General salaciously.
[size]
Sounds like two simple yet effective measures that could help reduce media coverage that only reaffirms sexist bias. Read the entire piece at CJR here. 
[/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 16 Mar 2017, 06:30

It's actually strange that medias need to be reminded about that in the 21st century. Like somebody commenting in the Time Magazine headlines: " The 1950s called. They want their editors back."

Last nicht I watched a TV show which is quite critical about the medias (also ob TV), and they also critisized how Amal's appearance at the UN and her speech were covered, only talking about her pregnancy and her yellow dress and George becoming a father, not even mentioning the fact why she was there and that she was accompanied by Nadia. These medias were gossip magazines, but even they could at least try to add some facts.

Some weeks ago they also critisized how Michael Schumacher is covered in these magazines, bringing up new rumors about him being able to walk again or being dead already, and his family is trying to fight these rumors. This is even worse than reducing a woman to her fertility and her ability to wear a dress, and in the end the only way to fight these tabloids is to boycott them. But there will always people who don't care about the truth.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 16 Mar 2017, 12:39

Carolhathaway - I think there needs to be room for both the fashion and the serious. Millions of people are interested in what celebrities wear and how they look. They want to dress the same and use the same products - maybe in the hope they can look like their favorite star. I think  it's wishful thinking, but probably mostly harmless.

IMO the problem is that "serious" media is trying to compete with the tabloid media. They're trying to get more readers/viewers at a time when more people go to the internet for information than to traditional sources. They're trying to adapt in a changing world. The discussion that occurred after Time's Amal fiasco should help them find the right direction to go.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 16 Mar 2017, 13:09

Thanks so much Annemarie for taking the time to post the article!  Give Flowers2

CJR's comments state the obvious.  But most people are willing to allow this tabloid like style of reporting because it's far more entertaining.  And it does pose a problem for hard news media to compete on the internet with "entertainment" based reporting.  I guess I'm simply agreeing with what Lizzy said.  

The onus is on serious journalists to redirect the narrative.  It's hard because in the end it may amount to less clicks.  But serious journalists/media outlets  have a responsibility to lead the way to correct the misdirection.  Luckily there was enough flack from the way Amal was covered at the UN to raise attention to this growing problem.

Carol, I don't know the story behind Michael Schumacher.

Last edited by Donnamarie on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 13:14; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 16 Mar 2017, 13:30

Lizzy,
I agree with you that there needs to be tabloids talking about what celebs wear and how they look. But would it really hurt to add some information, some'secret way of educating people'?

But you're right, it's much worse when serious news magazines try to cover tabloids as well. I had always thought that Time Magazine is a quite reliable magazine, after having also read their other tweets, I don't think this anymore...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 16 Mar 2017, 13:53

Donna,
sorry for not explaining what I wrote about Michael Schumacher.

Here's his wikipedia site:

Schumacher was one of the best Formular One drivers of all times seven times Formula One world champion before he retired. In December 2013 he had an accident while he was skiing in the Alps and hurt his head seriously in a rock. The family hardly said anything about his health since then, after the accident his doctors said that most others with these injuries would have died immediately after such an accident, and if he hadn't worn a safety helmet, he wouldn't have had any chance to survive this accident. He was in a hospital specialized in cranio-cerebral injuries for nine months and since then he's continuing his rehab at home. No pics of him have been published since then, and I think we can all imagine what that means...

But that doesn't stop tabloids - mostly German since he is German - to report every month about either a miracle 'He can walk and has sent SMS' or a drama 'He has died and his family doesn't tell us!'. When he was flown from the clinic he was first treated to the specialized one, somebody who was on the flight stole his medical reports and tried to sell them, fortunately he didn't succeed. When he was there, reporters tried to dress as medical staff to get informations.

His wife has become very good in denying these rumors and sue them to print counterstatements and pay fees- not because they need the money but because that's the only way to stop them.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down