George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
The Serious Side - Page 4 EmptyToday at 15:43 by benex

»  George filming new film in UK
The Serious Side - Page 4 EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The Serious Side - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
The Serious Side - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
The Serious Side - Page 4 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
The Serious Side - Page 4 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
The Serious Side - Page 4 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
The Serious Side - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
The Serious Side - Page 4 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Serious Side

+13
Sevens
Donnamarie
carolhathaway
oldweston
amaretti
Alisonfan
Way2Old4Dis
melbert
Fingersandtoes
LizzyNY
annemarie
party animal - not!
it's me
17 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Serious Side - Page 4 Empty Re: The Serious Side

Post by carolhathaway Mon 18 Jul 2016, 16:34

WWHS,
I'd love to hear / read this song!

One of our former presidents said a few years ago: "Not to be handicapped is not a merit, but a gift which can be taken away any time".
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Wed 20 Jul 2016, 14:32

For you CarolH, with all my heart....X

Love him all the more....

What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 20 Jul 2016, 15:36

WWHS,
thank you so much!
It's a wonderful song which says so much!
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 20 Jul 2016, 15:41

Interesting Trump retweet from Kathy Lette...........

https://twitter.com/KathyLette?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 20 Jul 2016, 16:04

party animal - not! wrote:Interesting Trump retweet from Kathy Lette...........

https://twitter.com/KathyLette?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

How foretelling are those words spoken by Trump back in 1998?!

I think in the end it will be Trump's own words that will cost him this election. Not others' perceptions or critiques. His own incriminating words coming out of his big mouth!
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 20 Jul 2016, 16:34

Donnamarie wrote:

I think in the end it will be Trump's own words that will cost him this election.  Not others' perceptions or critiques.  His own incriminating words coming out of his big mouth!
Donna,
I really hope you're right!
There are so many egomanic presidents around the world, we really don't need more!
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 20 Jul 2016, 21:21

There was a crime boss in NY they called the "Teflon Don" because they could never make charges against him stick. Donald Trump has inherited the title - and it fits him better than it ever fit the mafioso.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 22 Jul 2016, 07:46

I just watched Trump's speech from last night.

Sometimes I wish that people like him get elected. So everybody's able to see that he's just full of hot air, nothing substantable. And that everything they proposed can't be fulfilled because it's so unrealistic or just a lie.

But that's too dangerous because the world economy could crash, everything we've achieved would be in trouble, and we definetely don't need more wars...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 22 Jul 2016, 10:58

Donna , I want to believe your right but so far his words have gotten him this far. I just don't think people get it either that or they don't care. 

He is saying what a lot of people want to hear and they believe him.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 22 Jul 2016, 13:44

Annemarie, Trump has been successful with enough people to get him where he is now.  My hope is that the overall population, including most Democrats will come out and vote against everything this man stands for.  Right now the race is tight but it's still early.  And his lying has been prolific!  Actual lies.  He has been discredited time and again.  I honestly believe his supporters are truly ignorant.  They don't read newspapers.  They don't trust any media.  You're right.  His supporters like what he is saying and they believe him .... no one else matters.  That's why it is soooo important for every American to vote in this election.  Because I am still optimistic that there are far more people who are sensible and reasonable and see that Clinton is the stronger, smarter and the safer choice.  Whether she is liked or not. And I assume there will be a number of Democrats voting for Hillary who dont trust or like her but what's the alternative. I can only imagine if Trump loses his supporters will claim that the election was rigged and conspiracies will abound.  

I just couldn't bring myself to watch the convention. I have been reading about it and saw clips on TV.  The hate exhibited for Clinton during the convention was stunning and shocking.  I swear if she had walked into the convention hall she would have been physically attacked. I'm disgusted by many of the speeches I read about.  

carolh, I sometimes think ok let Trump win so all the naysayers can take satisfaction in saying I told you so.  But the cost of that like you said would be severe.  This man has been called a fascist or a dictator in the making yet his supporters either don't care or are unfamiliar with the rise of Hitler and Mussolini.

Last edited by Donnamarie on Fri 22 Jul 2016, 13:50; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited text.)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Fri 22 Jul 2016, 15:47

Donnamarie wrote:His supporters like what he is saying and they believe him .... no one else matters.  

This man has been called a fascist or a dictator in the making yet his supporters either don't care or are unfamiliar with the rise of Hitler and Mussolini.
This is a huge part of the problem.  An election in the US should not be about a cult of personality.  It should not be about believing that one person through some magical power or force of will or whatever Donald claims to have will solve everything they think is wrong.  This is an election!  It is not about believing one person can fix everything, but believing in our democratic institutions and the Constitution and choosing the person to take the executive role (appropriately limited by the checks and balances of the judiciary and the congress--does anyone remember elementary school civics?).  I for one think Trump couldn't care less about races below him on the ticket and has contempt for any other branch of government.  It's only about about him.  He will most likely get away with not caring/supporting other candidates because many will be afraid to be associated with him anyway.

Last edited by fava on Fri 22 Jul 2016, 15:48; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 22 Jul 2016, 22:26

To  Nicky, Carolhathaway and all our other friends in Germany please know our thoughts are with you. I hope none of you or those close to you were affected by this latest horror. It just seems like it never ends. Sad
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 22 Jul 2016, 22:41

It really seems so

We would need to work on this kind of weak mind people
Easily trapped into those things
By daesh or without any help

Anyway
Different situation
But
Monaco police sounds really prepared

Way more than French Mad

Did you read some French procurators (I think) ordered to police to ERASE all videos of the night by the motivation of not letting harsh images to be spread around ?

Police said no

Luckily

Mostly bec the whole huge material is still being put on specific servers

And they can't 
By now
Touch it

Or they can lost all

But

HOW CAN THEY ASK FOR IT?
or better

WHY ???
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sat 23 Jul 2016, 12:53

Lizzy,
thank you very much for your sympathy!

I first thought how glad I am that I don't know anybody personally who lives in Munich.
Abiut an hour ago I got a note from my brother-in-law who told me that he and my father-in-law are just at the main station in Munich on their return journey from their holidays in the Alps...
But they said that trains are running and everybody seems to have returned to their normal lifes - well  I guess except from those who were attacked, their friends and families, police, politicians and emergency staff...

I had expected that something would happen in Germany as well, but it seems as if it wasn't a terror attack. It was an 18 year old young man who was born and raised in Munich, was of German and Iranian nationality and is said to have been depressive. So our police thinks that it was a rampage. In the end there's no difference, the result is the same: He killed nine people, most of the victims aged 14 to 20 years old, and shot himself afterwards. But the sense of security is different to a terror attack, at least IMHO. There were always people who go apeshit and try to kill others...

But I liked the fact that our politicians and police who are in charge, didn't call it a terror attack at once (as the French president Hollande did at once). They said: "We'll have to find out what happened first, and then we'll discuss about consequences."
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 23 Jul 2016, 13:30

Carolhathaway - I'm glad no one you know was involved. I know what you mean about it feeling less frightening knowing that this wasn't a terror attack, but the act of one disturbed individual - even though ISIS will take credit for it. Knowing this was the act of one man makes it easier to believe it won't happen again.

The people in charge (government, police, etc.) know that the sooner things get back to "normal" the sooner people will feel safe again. But now there will always be a subconscious feeling of insecurity for the people who lived through this event. It will always be in the back of their minds, just as 9/11 is always in the thoughts of all New Yorkers. You never feel completely safe again, BUT you don't let that stop you from getting out and living your life to the fullest.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 23 Jul 2016, 14:33

According to headlines here without doubt there is a Brevik link now - it was the 5th anniversary of all those young children being shot at a camp outside Oslo and Brevik's rampage through the Oslo streets......so another loner.

Although apparently this young man was unbelievably bullied almost on  a permanent basis at school as some who were at school have described. Tragic that it wasn't picked up at the time......

Very impressive quick reactions by the German army, security services and police including the closing of borders and alerting other countries. They have obviously prepared and practised for almost anything..........and the knife attack this week must be on everybody's minds........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 23 Jul 2016, 14:42

Both of these terrible events in a week's time must have everyone on edge in Germany. So sad. Sad for these young victims and their families. Yep, it seems the German authorities did all the rights things in handling the situation.

The news reporting I heard about this horrible attack in Munich tried to stay clear of calling it a terrorist attack.  I think the media and authorities need to use caution about labeling these attacks as soon as they happen.  It is careless at the least and feeds a mindset that all violent acts are being committed by ISIS. It does appear this man was a loner who had mental problems.

Here in the states we have had our share of mass shootings and other violent, deadly attacks for years and years.  Committed by Americans.  On Americans.  
Yet it seems that our country seems far more fearful of outside forces committing violence on us more so than our own people.  So many of these acts are carried out by mentally unstable or hateful people.  But you don't have to be a member of an Islamic terrorist group to harbor these qualities.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sat 23 Jul 2016, 15:04

I read as well that the ones who were in charge reacted very quickly and cool-headed. The Munich police tweeted nearly 100 tweeds to inform people what had happened, told everybody what they knew, what they expected them to do "Stay at home, stay inside, don't go outside, don't post anything you recorded to not upset families of victims or tell offendees what the police is doing", all of it in four languages. People opened their doors for those who couldn't leave the city. So in the end I hope that that's what will be reminded and left from this, which is what makes us human: empathy.
The interesting fact is that - compared to other 'happenings' - the ones in charge seem to have a sort of 'protocol' or check list they can follow. Of course it makes everything easier. On the other hand it's horrible that we need it...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 23 Jul 2016, 15:15

Just a quick question, carol. How easy is it to obtain a gun in Germany? The laws in Great Britain were tightened massively after the dreadful massacre of children in Dunblane - and there was no opposition to it at all..........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sat 23 Jul 2016, 16:21

PAN,
it's really complicated to obtain a gun in Germany legally, and it's even more complicated to get the right to carry it with you outside your house (if you're a hunter p.e.).
We've had the same: our laws were tightened after two school massacres. So, if you're allowed to obtain a gun, you have to store it in a locked steel locker, apart from the munitions.
If this young man in Munich really had depressions and had been in a clinic, he wouldn't get the right to obtain a gun.
A few years ago I worked for our local government on weapon holders, and it's really complicated to fulfill the qualifications to be allowed, we're quite strict.
But of course there's a black market...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 23 Jul 2016, 17:32

PAN and Carolhathaway - Your discussion of gun regulations made me realize how much more civilised - literally - your countries are than the US. You've had many centuries to develop and have a much more mature outlook than we do as a nation. Compared to you we're still children - maybe teenagers, and sometimes - like now - we act like it. Hopefully we'll outgrow our immaturity before we shoot ourselves in the foot.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 23 Jul 2016, 18:01

Lizzy I feel that we've already shot ourselves in the foot! Time and time again. After the Connecticut shooting of those schoolchildren I thought for sure we could at least get stricter background checks prior to gun purchases.

Europe is far more civilized and sensible in their gun regulations. Even Australia banned automatic weapons a few years ago after a mass shooting. Good for them! Unfortunately America has a Constitution which gives Americans a full throated right (at least that's the way it's interpreted) to bear arms. And too many Americans feel that our freedom and the right to own guns are synonymous.

I think the only way we get stricter gun laws (plus a ban on automatic weapons) is when we have a Democratic majority in the House and the Senate lead by a Democratic President.

Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 23 Jul 2016, 18:21

Well, to try and use another analogy, Lizzy, to me it looks though in the States, it's the teenagers playing with guns - and big guns - which seem to be freely available, the marketing of which is backed by a lot of people in power who have been 'bought'.

Check out the list of politicians paid by the gun lobby to vote against any sort of sensible legislation - and using the right to bear arms as an excuse.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 23 Jul 2016, 19:24

The National Rifle Association (NRA) grades our politicians on their gun advocacy record. It's public knowledge and politicians will proudly admit they have an A or A+ record with the NRA. If you are someone concerned about the proliferation of guns in our country you seek out those who have a D or F rating.

Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sat 23 Jul 2016, 20:13

Donnamarie wrote:The National Rifle Association (NRA) grades our politicians on their gun advocacy record.  It's public knowledge and politicians will proudly admit they have an A or A+ record with the NRA.  If you are someone concerned about the proliferation of guns in our country you seek out those who have a D or F rating.  

Donna,
that's an interesting rating...
If I were a politician, I would be proud to be rated D or F...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 23 Jul 2016, 20:37

Right carolh. Many Democrats who run for office and talk about tackling gun issues will proudly campaign on their F rating from the NRA.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 23 Jul 2016, 21:15

PAN - Have tried to reply to your post several times but my responses keep timing out. Will try again later, but it's really frustrating.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sat 23 Jul 2016, 21:19

I never understood the need for guns and other weapons in our times, and I guess that many of us in Europe think the same. Having a gun at home, in your car or handbag creates an illusion of security, but no security.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 23 Jul 2016, 21:26

party animal - not! wrote:Well, to try and use another analogy, Lizzy, to me it looks though in the States, it's the teenagers playing with guns - and big guns - which seem to be freely available, the marketing of which is backed by a lot of people in power who have been 'bought'.

Check out the list of politicians paid by the gun lobby to vote against any sort of sensible legislation - and using the right to bear arms as an excuse.
PAN - I was thinking more about our cultural immaturity than the gun situation specifically, but it is the perfect example. Its all about rights, rights, rights and no responsibilities. All me., me, me and now, now, now - just like a child. We're all looking for the good life as long as we're not the ones who have to work for it. IMO, we have, as a nation, the mentality of a teenager whose brain hasn't fully developed. How else explain the Kardashians as role models or supporting  xenophobic, entitled liar for president? IMO, we have a lot of growing up to do.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 23 Jul 2016, 22:11

Some how I don't see it changing Lizzy, this generation is having kids and teaching them the same values if you can call it that. It will continue and the cycle of selfishness and self entitlement will continue.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 24 Jul 2016, 00:31

annemarie - I dislike the selfishness, but the sense of entitlement makes me furious. What makes me angriest of all, though, is the massive ignorance of anything substantial - and the belief that that ignorance is no big deal. After all, we can always Google it or look it up on Wikipedia. We don't actually have to know anything.

Jay Leno used to have a segment where he'd go out on the street and ask people questions about current affairs and the world. The answers were astounding. I don't know if they interviewed 100 people and 5 gave stupid answers or if all the answers were dumb, but the likelihood is they didn't have to wait long for an ill-informed response.

It's no wonder we're in the spot we're in now.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sun 24 Jul 2016, 09:26

Lizzy,
but that's not just the matter in the US. We've got to deal with thid amount of ignorance and stupidity as well.
My husband and I always talk to our kids about subjects that matter, about historic events which influence us today etc. And I always hear from their teachers, that they are so well informed and know about the context etc., and that's really rare. They hardly know any other kids like them. One of my friends is a teacher at a primary school, and she always talks about how shocking it is that parents don't care, don't help their kids, often don't buy them their school stuff. Kids come to school early in the morning without any breakfast, have nothing to eat and no money. I just had a chat with my sister's friend who's also a teacher, and she told me that they organized breakfast for all the kids at her school, because the kids are so hungry that they can't concentrate anymore. I do understand that it's sometimes difficult not to run out of money, but IMO it should always be no. 1 priority to feed your kids. When you hear stories from those teachers, you sometimes have the feeling that we live in a parallel existance where it is more important for yiu that your kids get enough to eat and have clean clothes and everything they need for school, than buying alcohol or cigarettes or having pay TV or the the newest smartphone.

So many people lack of empathy and just don't care for others, it doesn't interest them at all. And that's something I just can't accept...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 24 Jul 2016, 12:21

Carolhathaway -  Here in the US we hear so often that our kids are falling behind in everything compared to the rest of the world that I guess it seems like we're the only ones. Many, if not most, of our kids aspire to be rich and famous. They don't understand that there needs to be a reason for fame. In this day and age, maybe they're right.

I do know that education is key. Most parents here claim to be "very concerned" about their child's education and hold the schools to ever higher and higher standards - while at the same time making every excuse in the world for their child's lack of effort and indifferent attitude. If they spent half the time enriching their child's experiences as they do on themselves, their kids would do a lot better in school and in life.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 24 Jul 2016, 15:44

There are also teachers who should not be teachers they simply don't care about the students. 

In the U.S schools are so over crowded how are the teachers supposed to give individual help they can't. 

We need to build more schools and less luxury housing . In New York it is ridiculous every where you look

luxury housing is going up where are all the people who buy these places coming from.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 24 Jul 2016, 16:10

Here too
We see many parents
That are not so interested in their own kids

I mean

They have them
Then leave all education to teachers Shocked
Bec they suddenly understand how hard is taking care of them

I know 
that happened 
In some way
Many years ago

Kids were really free in their time

But those were way more "simply" time
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 24 Jul 2016, 19:30

annemarie wrote:There are also teachers who should not be teachers they simply don't care about the students. 

In the U.S schools are so over crowded how are the teachers supposed to give individual help they can't. 

We need to build more schools and less luxury housing . In New York it is ridiculous every where you look

luxury housing is going up where are all the people who buy these places coming from.
How dare you blame teachers for the conditions in our schools and the lack of funding to improve them! What bugs you most? The fact that they get summers off or that they leave work at 3 o'clock - BECAUSE BOTH ARE NOT TRUE! Most teachers arrive at work at least 1/2 an hour early to prepare for the day and leave at the end of the day with a good couple of hours or more of work when they get home (grading papers, marking homework, gathering supplies, writing lesson plans, etc.) - not to mention taking care of their own families and doing their own shopping and housework. In the summer, which you seem to think they spend lying on a beach, many teachers are working second jobs so they can pay the bills. Would you like to add "construction of affordable housing" to their job description?

Yes, our classrooms are overcrowded. They have been for as long as I can remember. There are several solutions available. We can use our tax money to build more schools, but nobody wants to pay more taxes (including teachers, who in case you didn't know it, are taxpayers, too!). We can stop having more children than we have time to care for - then the schools wouldn't be taxed with raising our kids for us. OR, we could teach our children respect for the opportunity they have - a FREE education - if they choose to behave in a manner that optimizes the process. Let them come to school willing to learn, prepared to behave in a manner that contributes to a positive experience for all, and a willingness to follow the rules - which, for the most part, were developed to promote an optimum, safe leaning environment for all students.

Oh, and by the way, if school principals didn't force out senior teachers to replace them with cheaper inexperienced/less capable teachers because of budget concerns, your kids would be getting a better education.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 24 Jul 2016, 21:01

Lizzy , I never blamed the teachers for the conditions of schools or the lack of funding, I know very well they have no control over this situation.

There are great teachers and there are bad ones that is how it is. You don't have to agree but I have met and dealt with teachers who were not good.

If you read my comment I stated that schools are so over crowded, how are they supposed to give individual help to each child, they can't was what I stated.

I agree with you that parents need to take a bigger role in teaching their children.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 24 Jul 2016, 21:58

As a parent of two children who went through the public school system I have so much respect for teachers and what they deal with every day.  But there is no denying the fact that there are some teachers who don't do their job well ... for whatever reason.  I've come across a few in my lifetime .... as a student myself years ago and as a parent.   It's true of every profession.  Doctors, nurses, firefighters, police officers, etc.  Most do their jobs exceptionally well but some do not.  But overall, at least where I live, we are really fortunate to have a terrific public school system.

Last edited by Donnamarie on Sun 24 Jul 2016, 22:26; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added text)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Mon 01 Aug 2016, 15:42

I know this is the Serious Side....but even the serious side need a giggle now and then...But Mods, please put Trump stuff wherever you see fit...

Courtesy of Ave Maria......

A number of paragraphs from Pope Francis’ Wednesday General Audience speech appear to have been lifted from Melania Trump’s Republican National Convention speech.
Francis aide Monsignor Guido Marini said late this afternoon that Francis wrote the speech largely on his own, telling EOTT that, “I read it once over, and that’s all. His Holiness wrote it…with as little help as possible.”
During the address, a journalist pointed out the striking similarities to Melania Trump’s speech from the night before, and a plagiarism controversy exploded. A two-paragraph section of Francis’ speech about family values bears nearly identical phrasing to Trump’s RNC address.
“My parents impressed on me the values that you pray hard for what you want in life. That your rosary is your bond, and you do what you pray and keep your promise to God. That you treat you flock with respect,” Francis told those gathered about halfway through his speech.
Compare that to Trump’s, which said, “My parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life. That your word is your bond, and you do what you say and keep your promise. That you treat people with respect.”
Francis went on to stress the need to “pass along the faith to the many generations to follow, because we want the children of God in this Church to know that the only limit to your sanctity is the strength of your novenas and the willingness to remember not to skip a day.”
It’s a near mirror of a line from Trump’s speech: “pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow, because we want our children in this nation to know that the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and the willingness to work for them.”
Marini soon after responded to the controversy, saying “there is no cribbing of Melania Trump’s speech.”
“These were common words and values, and he cares about his Church,” Marini said. “To think that he would do something like that, knowing how scrutinized his speech was going to be this afternoon, is just really absurd.”
The Francis team released a statement moments go, saying part, “In writing his beautiful speech, Pope Francis’ team of writers took notes on his life’s inspirations, and in some instances included fragments that reflected his own thinking. His Holiness’ immigrant experience and love for Rome shone through in his speech, which made it such a success.”
Other questionable parts of Pope Francis’ speech were quotes such as “Ask not what your Church can do for you; ask what you can do for your Church,” “Be not scared,” and “You’re off to great places! Today is your day! Your seven storey mountain is waiting, so get on your way!”

LoooooooL...
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Mon 01 Aug 2016, 16:39

Oh my .

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 01 Aug 2016, 20:51

WWHS, thanks for the laugh! Very Happy
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Tue 02 Aug 2016, 14:56

Back to the serious side:
Has anybody of you seen 'The Simpsons 3 a.m. episode about who Homer and Marge are going to vote for?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tLSy8Tl2bjs
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 02 Aug 2016, 18:06

carolhathaway wrote:Back to the serious side:
Has anybody of you seen 'The Simpsons 3 a.m. episode about who Homer and Marge are going to vote for?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tLSy8Tl2bjs

Yes carolhathaway. I saw it earlier this morning. Brilliant! Thanks for posting. I'll come back to it from time to time when I need a good laugh over the next uh 99 days
... and counting.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Tue 02 Aug 2016, 18:21

Too funny .  Love the little dog . Very Happy

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 04 Aug 2016, 10:53

Clint Eastwood  is voting for Trump, says Trump is the enemy of the p***y generation
and political correctness. 

He is just as stupid as Trump.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 04 Aug 2016, 12:56

annemarie  - He's not stupid. He's an older man living in a time he doesn't understand or like, and he wants things to be like they used to be - or at least like he remembers them. It's shortsighted, but not stupid - it's sad.

I'm probably closer to his age than yours, so I can understand his dislike of some of the changes he's seen. The pc mentality is annoying. Expecting everyone to be kind and sweet is unrealistic. There are people who will do things you don't like and who disagree with you. If feelings are the only things being hurt, get over it and learn to work with those people anyway. That's the way Eastwood's generation was raised - and to some extent, mine as well.

It's disappointing that he can't see the danger a Trump presidency poses, but he probably won't be around long to suffer the consequences of his vote.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 04 Aug 2016, 15:15

Clint Eastwood may not be stupid but he defends racism and bigotry if he supports Trump. It's not complicated.

There are many older Americans who remember Japanese internment camps. Not a proud moment in our history. Do they think about it as a Trump supporter? The 1950s may be a time that many Americans nostalgically wish we could go back to. That's if they think that segregated neighborhoods, schools and other public places was a good thing. Women didn't have equal rights and there was absolutely no tolerance for homosexuality.

Trump does slam what he thinks is political correctness. And his followers love it. They love the hateful comments and nastiness he brings to his speeches. But it's not pc he is pushing back on .... it's basic human decency, respect and tolerance of others.

I used to respect Eastwood as a director. But I can't separate his talent from the person he appears to be.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 04 Aug 2016, 15:45

Very well said Donnamarie.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 04 Aug 2016, 16:54

I'm watching The View and they were just discussing a survey that said most people wouldn't go to an action movie with a gay hero. That used to be the feeling about gay actors as romantic leads  - for some maybe it still is.

It shouldn't matter what your private sexual orientation is if you can believably portray a character (ie. Rock Hudson, Richard Chamberlain) , and it shouldn't matter what your political beliefs are either unless you're promoting them through your work. Talent is talent.

We've often seen people post that they'd never go to one of George's movies because of his politics - so he loses some money and they miss out on a good movie. It doesn't mean much unless production companies knuckle under to pressure and impose censorship - that hurts everyone.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 04 Aug 2016, 17:03

One of the traits I love about George is his tolerance and his humanity.  

I guess I don't associate racism, bigotry and sexism with politics.  I see those traits as essential to basic human decency.

I just want to add that I don't follow the politics of celebrities that much. I knew Eastwood was a Republican and his performance at the 2012 RNC convention was really silly and embarrassing IMO but certainly didn't change my mind as to his talent as a director or whether I would watch his movies. But supporting what Trump stands for does.

Last edited by Donnamarie on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 17:31; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : edited text)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next