George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George in Tuscany
Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing EmptyYesterday at 19:45 by benex

» The Good News
Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 18:19 by annemariew

» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing

+11
amaretti
Alisonfan
Way2Old4Dis
it's me
carolhathaway
LizzyNY
Nicky80
annemarie
Donnamarie
party animal - not!
Sevens
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing Empty Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing

Post by Sevens Fri 30 Oct 2015, 01:12

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing Empty Re: Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing

Post by Sevens Fri 30 Oct 2015, 01:15

Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing Empty Re: Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing

Post by party animal - not! Fri 30 Oct 2015, 01:35

Wow!! Again, who knew??

Maybe I should have read all the Sony hack articles.........

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 30 Oct 2015, 02:34

Wow is right.  Another surprise.  Don't know how I feel about this project.  I'm not a big fan of remakes.  They don't usually play as well as the original.  One exception was in fact the Oceans 11 remake (with George). The original with Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin was not half as successful.  I like the concept with an all female cast.  
But a remake of a remake.  Hmmm.  But George obviously sees promise in this.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 30 Oct 2015, 10:22

Why, are there no new ideas in Hollywood this is getting annoying. A lot of the remakes are horrible it makes no sense it was good why try to top it.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 30 Oct 2015, 14:14

Well, I know I'd go to this even as we talk about the possibilities. I think it'll be  easy to sell it to the studio bosses.

I can envisage it now - a great script, cast, stunts, locations, plot, music. And throw in the sentimental thought of it being Jerry Weintraub's last big idea......... 

Have a feeling people will be falling over themselves to get involved

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 30 Oct 2015, 15:45

I hope you're right PAN.  I would love to be wrong on this one.  We will stay tuned.  The film should be dedicated to Jerry for sure Very Happy
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Fri 30 Oct 2015, 16:20

I definely want to watch this one in cinema. Love to see George playing the only male role in this version. Should be a blast!
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 30 Oct 2015, 19:38

Sevens wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing

The burgeoning creative partnership between George Clooney and Sandra Bullock that yielded this weekend's "Our Brand Is Crisis" (in which Bullock stars, Clooney produces, and David Gordon Green directs), is set to kick up a notch in the near future. A new "Ocean's Eleven" film is in the works, only this time, in line with the recent Hollywood gender-swapping trend, it's due to feature an all female line-up, with Bullock in the lead, and Gary Ross ("The Hunger Games," "Seabiscuit," "Pleasantville") directing.
The project was initiated last year by the power trio of late producer Jerry Weintraub, ‘Ocean’s’ trilogy director Steven Soderbergh, and the franchise's main star, Clooney. Olivia Milch (“Queen & Country,” “Little Women”), who has become a go-to screenwriter for female-centric projects, has been working on the screenplay for months.
A project we’ve been tracking for much of the year, the female ‘Ocean’s’ has actually been quietly gestating since at least fall 2014, but we worried that it hit a major snag recently when the legendary Weintraub passed away this past summer (his memorial was held last month in New York and the aforementioned key players were all there). But sources close to the project tell The Playlist that the movie is still definitely in the works, and Milch has handed in a draft of the screenplay. Ross is a longtime Soderbergh friend and ally, and as she mentions in this recent press conference, Bullock has been close with her "Gravity" co-star Clooney for a long time now.
Weintraub, Clooney, and Soderbergh clearly became tight during the Section 8 and ‘Ocean’s’ trilogy years, and it seems like Bullock has  joined that extended family. Her role in “Our Brand Is Crisis” was originally written for Clooney, so a Bullock-led 'Ocean's' would not be the first time she's stepped directly into Clooney's shoes. It's unclear how directly connected (or not) this remake/reboot/sequel/spinoff will be to the Soderbergh pictures, but everyone is keen on this new ‘Ocean’s’ project, and sources tell us Clooney may even cameo as Danny Ocean.
Somehow, this not-quite-so-tightly kept secret has not properly broken until now, but traces of it have been on the Internet for a few months — Amy Pascal alluded to the existence of this new ‘Ocean’s’ film in the notorious Sony leak from last year. The then Sony chief urgerd her team to move faster on her all-female “Ghostbusters” project when she got wind of the competing gender-swap ensemble film in the works (we referenced this a few months back).
The female 'Ocean’s' film is expected to be Ross’ next movie after he finishes up with “The Free State Of Jones” starring Matthew McConaughey, which was, in a show of confidence, recently bumped up to a prime May 13, 2016 release date. Plot details on the new 'Ocean's' project are being held under wraps for now. — reporting by Rodrigo Perez
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 30 Oct 2015, 21:23

I'd probably go to see this out of curiosity and to see George reprise Danny Ocean, but my first reaction was "Oh, for Pete's sake!". Is this going to be the only way women can get good roles? Remaking movies originally starring men? Phooey! The gimmick will get old fast.

If they insist on reworking old movies for women to star in, why don't they remake some of the really great old movies that starred women to begin with? Barbara Stanwyk, Bette Davis, Katherine Hepburn, Joan Crawford and many more women made wonderful female-driven movies. Why don't they update the plots of those movies instead?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 03 Nov 2015, 02:26

Food for thought ......

Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 03 Nov 2015, 13:18

Well, the one thing she got right is that  we don't need another re-make of Ocean's 11 - or any other successful male-centric film. We need more well written films that provide good parts for both women and men, written, directed and produced by both women and men. The success of one should not come at the expense of the other. That isn't progress, it's revenge!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 03 Nov 2015, 14:12

I think the women doing remakes is simply them being patted on the head , here you go this was a hit so you  do it . I think they need to take control and write direct and produce what they want . Why can't they start small and show the heads of studios what they can do.

The movie will also have to appeal to men as well as women.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Tue 03 Nov 2015, 16:08

I think that it can be fun to watch a movie where a man had been the lead before, but it shouldn't be an automatism. Sometimes it might be fun, but to me the danger is that - if the movie is successful, people might say: "That's just because the previous movie with... (male actor) has succeeded" and don't recognize the achievement of this cast. And to say that a female cast, writer, director and producer makes it a better movie automatically doesn't work as well IMO.

But women in leading positions often critizise that men don't see them as equal, pay them less, and there's always the 'danger' that a woman might get pregnant. And at least in my country (Germany) it's very difficult to have a fulltime day care for children...
I remember one situation: My (male) boss who's in his 30s once got a phone call that one of his four little kids was sick and needed to be picked up from pre-school. He was in a meeting and wanted to finish to do so but all the other older men told him to call his wife to do so. He answered that his wife was working that day out of town that day so he finished the meeting and left. After that the discussion started that that's inappropriate and that she as the mother of four kids shouldn't work and should be at home to look after her children. 
She has had the same education and the same university studies as her husband but because she's a woman - and even worse, a mother - she has no right for a career Question
PLUS: She's working although her husband earns enough money so it's sort of unethical to take a job a man or a single woman need more for living... Welcome to the 1950s!
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 03 Nov 2015, 19:41

carolhathawa wrote:
She has had the same education and the same university studies as her husband but because she's a woman - and even worse, a mother - she has no right for a career Question
PLUS: She's working although her husband earns enough money so it's sort of unethical to take a job a man or a single woman need more for living... Welcome to the 1950s!
I agree with everything you said in your post. Sadly, things aren't any different here in the US than they are in Germany and most of the rest of the world. Sometimes I think change will only come when  men are the ones who get pregnant and have to get fat for 9 months and then squeeze a bowling ball through a keyhole!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 03 Nov 2015, 19:58

looool 

right !!!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 03 Nov 2015, 20:01

We do have 10 companies that offer fathers maternity leave so slowly things are changing in the U.S.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Tue 03 Nov 2015, 20:59

Annemarie,
in Germany mothers stay at home six weeks before and eight weeks after the birth of their child and get full salary by their employers. Then they have the right to stay at home and look after their child until its 3rd birthday and get money from the government as a sort of compensation for the salary (but it's much less than their salary). Within this time their job is protected, but they don't have the right to get the same functiin as before. They may also return to their job after 24 months (or earlier) and save 12 months to stay home when the child starts school. 
It doesn't have to be the mother who stays at home but usually it's what happens. The fathers also have the right to stay at home for two months during the first time and get a comprehension by the government because they don't get any salary.
I think I got at least most of the basics right because it was very different when my kids were born 14 years ago...
But that's why it's much easier to employ a man - although I think that these laws are very essential for our society.

Lizzy,
I guess you're right about that!
I just read a book called 'Single mom, with husband'. A woman wrote down how everything in her relationship changed after their first child was born. That suddenly after a long partnership she became the housewife she and her husband had always laughed about. That he stayed at the office longer every night, and when he came home had no idea why she was embarrassed to stay at home with the kids. (I remember that during this time I sometimes when my husband came home just said: "I need to go to the supermarket" and left because I had the feeling that I would explode to stay home any longer.)
She described how shd felt when he made dinner about once in three months and emptied the dustbin but then told everybody that they shared the housework 50:50 (and really believed it!), and everybody else admired him for being such a perfect husband. Or that he came home on Friday and told her that he had already been to the supermarket and had done all shopping: he had bought 2 litres of milk which would last two days!
(That reminds me about the last time I took my husband to the supermarked (he had offered it) to buy everything for our kids' birthday brunch in summer. After that he straight went to bed and slept for 2 hours because he was completely exhausted Laughing).
And last year he said hs would organize the food for his birthday party "and you don't need to prepare anything, not even pudding!". When I went to the caterer to pick it up I realized that it just wasn't enough, so I went to the butcher and the supermarket afterwards to buy food to add it - and then started to cook although I hadn't scheduled it. This year he asked me how much we would need...

Last edited by carolhathaway on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 21:05; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 03 Nov 2015, 21:05

My brother says if men had to have babies the planet would be empty he would simply refuse lol.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Tue 03 Nov 2015, 21:07

annemarie wrote:My brother says if men had to have babies the planet would be empty he would simply refuse lol.
Annemarie,
I guess most men would refuse it - at least they would deny having a second or third child...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Mon 16 May 2016, 11:32

OMFG....Two of the biggest female stars are linked with this! and George definitely needs to show up for Danny Ocean's sister! Thrilled for this reboot! Very Happy
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Mon 16 May 2016, 12:43

Then again this...even if JLaw isn't available, at least we'll know about the basic plots.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 16 May 2016, 14:02

scratch I'm confused. Is George even still connected to this project? Rotten Tomatoes still lists him as producer but Tracking Board lists Larger Than Life Productions as the producer of the movie. Unless George has started a  new company, that isn't him. Or is he taking a secondary producing role - or a small part in the film but no producing credit? Like I said, confused! Smile
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 16 May 2016, 21:30

The Independent

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 16 May 2016, 22:47

The original trilogy was slick and smart - none of the "What Happens In Vegas" infantile humor. Whoever ends up in this, I hope they go the Tina Fey/Amy Poehler intelligent humor route instead of the Melissa McCarthy/Amy Schumer route of trying to out-stupid the men. We've had enough immature, crass buddy movies to last several lifetimes. Hopefully the women can elevate the genre at least a little. If this turns out to be another "Bridesmaids" I'll puke.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sat 04 Jun 2016, 20:28

Exclusive: Cate Blanchett Is Circling The All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ Film

The Playlist

June 3, 2016

News

1 Comment

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[size=43]127
SHARES
[/size]

Facebook[url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Exclusive%3A Cate Blanchett Is Circling The All-Female %E2%80%98Ocean%E2%80%99s Eleven%E2%80%99]Twitter[/url]

You’ll remember last fall we broke the news: Sandra Bullock would be starring in an all-female “Ocean’s Eleven” film directed by Gary Ross (“The Hunger Games,” “Seabiscuit”). The project was concocted by Ross, who brought the idea to original ‘Ocean’s’ franchise director Steven Soderbergh. He in turn brought it to the late producer Jerry Weintraub and with Bullock in tow, the team was off and running (though the project was secretly in existence months before we reported it).

With a solid pitch from Ross, a longtime pal of Soderbergh’s, it was a no-brainer for Soderbergh to step aside and let Ross, director of the upcoming Civil War drama “Free State of Jones,” take over. However, there’s more.

READ MORE: Exclusive: All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ In The Works Starring Sandra Bullock, With Gary Ross Directing

Sources close to the project tell The Playlist that “Carol” star Cate Blanchett is currently in talks to join the film that is currently affectionately known as “Ocean’s Ocho” by the key creatives, which of course means eight principal thieves pulling off a heist, not eleven. Should the deal close, Blanchett would be playing the Brad Pitt role next to Bullock’s Clooney character at least as far as the outline goes. But neither actress is playing a female version of those characters. Instead, the roles are loosely modeled after the friendship/partnership dynamic established in the Soderbergh films.

Expected to be a star-studded affair, the film is aiming to shoot this late fall/early winter, but that may put the brakes on the rumored involvement of Jennifer Lawrence. Apparently, she may have a scheduling conflict. While Lawrence has a relationship with Ross (he directed her in “The Hunger Games,” and the pair had been developing a two-part adaptation of John Steinbeck‘s “East Of Eden” and an adaptation of Hannah Kent‘s bestselling “Burial Rites”), we’re hearing her name in connection to the film is early and her involvement may not pan out.

READ MORE: Rumor: Jennifer Lawrence Joining Sandra Bullock In ‘Ocean’s 11’ Reboot

While there was some early talk that George Clooney’s Danny Ocean character could cameo in the film, that idea has been nixed for now. However, they have loose plans for sequels should the movie take off, and it’s possible the character could appear down the road.

Female-led franchises are all the rage, but “Ocean’s Eleven” was actually conceived before the all-female-lead “Ghostbusters.” You’ll recall us mentioning an email from the Sony hack where studio head Amy Pascal got wind of the gestating female “Ocean’s Eleven” project and pushed to get her all-female “Ghostbusters” into production first.

There’s no word on further casting, but expect a lot of top-shelf female talent to round out the ensemble. The picture will be produced by Ross, Soderbergh, Greg Jacobs, Susan Ekins(Weintraub’s partner), and no, “Ocean’s Ocho” isn’t the official title, but just a pet name for the project so far.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 04 Jun 2016, 20:55

Sounds like George isn't involved at all. I'm thinking that's a good thing, so if it bombs they can't blame him. I'm tired of everyone forgetting it takes dozens, if not hundreds of people to make a movie - not just one.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sat 04 Jun 2016, 21:05

On the other hand, he can't take the credit if it's going to be a hit. 

But I think you're right, Lizzy: George is always called responsible if a movie bombs, like 'Tomorrowland', and he was just acting in that. The only thing I would blame him for was to take that role. But the idea was great, it was just the realization which didn't work.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 04 Jun 2016, 21:13

Carolhathaway - Exactly. And why didn't the media say it was a Hugh Laurie flop? He starred in it, too. And why wasn't "Hail Caesar" a Channing Tatum flop? Or a Coen brothers flop? It seems like whenever George has anything to do with a film everyone forgets there is anyone else involved.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 04 Jun 2016, 21:44

That is the nature of the beast he is one of the worlds's biggest stars so gets the blame even though those of us with
common sense know it is not his fault.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sat 04 Jun 2016, 22:29

George worked to reach the point in his career where any movie he's in is a 'George Clooney movie.' That's one of the perks/costs of the status he enjoys. Not saying it's fair. It just is.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 04 Jun 2016, 22:55

I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm liking the idea of this "remake". Even with an all women cast, which I applaud, I would prefer to see Bullock and Blanchett tackle original material for the screen.

Are studios that insecure as to what audiences will like that they go back to tried and true movies and "reinvent" them?
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 04 Jun 2016, 23:08

Way2Old - I know you're right, but it annoys me just the same. They always seem so surprised when he does good work - as if their pet poodle just sat up and spoke French. They're slow to give him credit for films he carries well, but seem quite happy to blame him for his "failures", whether they're really his fault or not.

O.K. All done. Rant over! Very Happy
PS - Hope you get to see Hamilton before Lin Manuel Miranda leaves!

Donnamarie - Yes! Very Happy
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 04 Jun 2016, 23:25

Don't think 'Hail Caesar' was a flop, was it? The worldwide figures are pretty good - tho I note that Money Monster is very near to catching it up already........

Interesting that most of the 'flop' headlines are sometimes the opinion just one or two writers who then gets the article syndicated so that you see it everywhere....

So Cate and Sandra Bullock - cameo maybe - but both friends of George. Wonder if Amy Schumer's going to be in the mix.............

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 04 Jun 2016, 23:53

I don't understand are there no good stories being written, why are they rebooting everything that has ever been made.
And let's not forget sequels to movies that came out so many years ago you barely remember them I just read they are making a beetle juice sequel.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 05 Jun 2016, 00:23

Agree annemarie.  But I will keep an open mind

PAN, I don't see Hail Caesar as a flop.  It did about $63 mil worldwide.  It did on par with Fargo worldwide.
It was generally well received by the critics.  A few blasted it but lots of good reviews. However audiences (at least domestic) were not as keen on it overall .  But I think over time this movie will be seen as a classic Coens' film, showcasing their bent on old Hollywood during McCarthy era of blacklisting.

As of this weekend Money Monster has made approx $54 mil worldwide.

Last edited by Donnamarie on Sun 05 Jun 2016, 00:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sun 05 Jun 2016, 04:37

There is a long-held belief in Hollywood that women cannot carry a big movie. Yes, that despite Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Tina Fey, Amy Schumer... But a female-led movie has to get twice the audience of one directed at the young male demographic because women go to see 'male' movies, but those young men don't go to 'female' movies. Women-centric pictures are always considered a higher risk. The conglomerates that own the studios don't like risk.

So one answer to that is to go with proven material that played well with the desired demographic. Thus the remakes/gender switch movies. Another thing is that a female actor may have to agree to a studio project in order to get something else (smaller, less commercial) made or distributed. So if, for instance, a Cate Blanchette wants to keep doing movies like 'Carol,' she may have to do an 'Ocean's' gig along the way. Not saying that's the case; just an example.

And yes, there are plenty of good original stories out there. But the system is insular to the point of being impenetrable to the people who write them. They represent risk. Risk bad. Sure money good.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 05 Jun 2016, 05:02

Way2Old -Totally agree with your point that the studios don't like risk, but I don't think it's only women who have to make deals in order to get smaller movies made. I've heard the same thing from a lot of actors and directors. Even George has often spoken about doing "one for them (the studios) and one for us".

I can't help but think how different things were before the studio system fell apart. Back then there were so many intelligent films, many carried by women like Hepburn, Davis, Stanwyck and many others. I know the changes gave people on the creative side of the business more freedom, but I'm not so sure the industry as a whole benefited from the changes.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Sun 05 Jun 2016, 16:52

All this women I love.Movie just need one man character George Clooney.

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 06 Jun 2016, 05:19

LizzyNY, I'll take your point a step further to reinforce mine.

The movies that a woman would be involved in for that tradeoff, both the 'one for them' and the 'one for her,' will be smaller than those for men. A woman is not going to be offered the lead (super)hero role in a tentpole franchise, and, as I said, she can't count on crossover appeal to bring in big numbers on a small-ish film. So she is never going to be in the position to say, "My last project brought in 800 million dollars, so here's what you're going to do for me." And the studios will always be able to say that women can't/don't carry big movies.

Charlize Theron has an Oscar, killed it in 'Mad Max,' and runs her own production company. What is she doing? The villain in the next 'Fast and Furious.' No studios jump to distribute the movies she produces.

Sandra Bullock - honored, admired, popular - has several projects originated by her own company. Which projects for her get backing first? 'Our Brand is Crisis' and 'Ocean's.'

At the other end of the spectrum, Emily Blunt, the only woman in 'Sicario,' played a layered, nuanced central character in a smaller movie that was critically acclaimed. The two male leads were stock, one-note characters; well-played, but still. Blunt's character had the most compelling foundation for further exploration. But guess what. There's a follow-up movie coming, and she's not even in it. Benecio Del Toro and Josh Brolin will reprise their tough-guy roles, though. 

There's no reward for doing good original work, even if you can find it. So women will always be a step behind, and having to choose between leftovers or hand-me-downs.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Mon 06 Jun 2016, 06:20

Oh jeez Louweez .  Very Happy

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 06 Jun 2016, 06:32

Way2,
your last post was really interesting. I'm trying to remember if it's any different to the film industry in Germany, and guess what? It's not.
It's always the men who are in the lead, who are able to choose the projects, set up their wages. Quite depressing, actually.

I don't know if it was always like that. Of course I mnow there were times when Katharine Hepburn etc. were around,  but I don't know if they were in the same position as the male cast. And if they wanted kids, it's always women who have to step back. A male actor is able to work until his child is born and get back to work the next day. His physical appearance doesn't change (well, it often does), and if his child is sick, it's mostly the mother who's expected to stay at home. Maybe, if you look at Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts, they decided to have children and step back, and so they knew that their careers wouldn't continue  in the same way as before.
But I guess that's never going to change...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 06 Jun 2016, 09:28

When newborns will DANGEROUSLY lower down in number 
I guess something will change
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 06 Jun 2016, 10:45

Mm, Jennifer Lawrence might be the exception, but then her priorities are not the same as, say Emily Blunt, or Charlize Theron who have small children and/or are about to have another.

In Emily Blunt's case, I also think she prefers variety anyway if you look at her body of work. Next stop: Mary Poppins 2018.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 06 Jun 2016, 12:55

Way2Old4Dis wrote:Charlize Theron runs her own production company.  No studios jump to distribute the movies she produces.

(Sorry for the edit - saving space Embarassed )
I think that's the core of the problem - distribution and publicity. Many independent movies do get made without studio funding, but they have little or no access to audiences on any significant scale. When the studio system was in effect there were thousands of theaters thirsting for product so movies were being released at breakneck speed. Not all of them were good, but all kinds of movies were made.

All that changed when corporations took over and made movies just another product in their arsenal alongside soap and tractors - anything that makes money and don't bother to be creative if it doesn't guarantee a huge profit. That's the only thing they want to create. I assume it hasn't occurred to them that the more each movie costs to make the higher the ticket prices get and the smaller the audience becomes. IMO, if the corporate studios are counting on other media platforms to sell their product they're shooting themselves in the foot - tentpoles don't play nearly as well on a tv screen.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Mon 06 Jun 2016, 13:30

I don't think it has anything to do with having children--although men may use that old trope to justify the sexism.  Women in leading roles and in production are discounted just as women as the movie going audience are discounted.  As a woman, I am only interested in going to a small fraction of the movies that are released.  Yet, I could afford to go pretty often.  You would think there would be a lot of money to be made (which probably matters more to Hollywood than the stories that get told).

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 06 Jun 2016, 16:32

Here's an interesting article on this very subject from January of this year ....

The Female Takeover of Hollywood? Soon, But Not Yet

Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 10 Jun 2016, 18:10

So an update from Lainey gossip today:

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 10 Jun 2016, 18:15

.........so NYC in the Spring around Met Gala time.

What chance a cameo from Anna Wintour?.......

Spring definitely seems to be time of choice to be in NYC for some.........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 10 Jun 2016, 21:10

PAN - Spring and fall are the best times to be in NYC. The rest of the year it's either too hot, too cold or too wet.

I have a very uneasy feeling about this movie. I hope it's smart and stylish and not one of those infantile buddy movies where the girls try to out-drink/fart/vomit the boys. I've had all I can take of junior high style gross-out humor.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next