George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George in Tuscany
Awards Profile: Money Monster EmptySat 18 May 2024, 19:45 by benex

» The Good News
Awards Profile: Money Monster EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 18:19 by annemariew

» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
Awards Profile: Money Monster EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Awards Profile: Money Monster EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Awards Profile: Money Monster EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Awards Profile: Money Monster EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Awards Profile: Money Monster EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Awards Profile: Money Monster EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Awards Profile: Money Monster EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Awards Profile: Money Monster

+6
LizzyNY
Sevens
What Would He Say
Katiedot
Donnamarie
Nicky80
10 posters

Go down

Awards Profile: Money Monster Empty Awards Profile: Money Monster

Post by Nicky80 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 21:50

thanks to les frenchies

Awards Profile: Money Monster

Could Jodie Foster add a Directing Oscar to her two Lead Actress statues?

Synopsis (via IMDb): Lee Gates is a TV personality whose insider tips have made him the money guru of Wall Street. When Kyle loses all of his family’s money on a bad tip, he holds Lee and his entire show hostage on air threatening to kill Lee if he does not get the stock up 24 and a half points before the bell. Ratings soar as the entire country tunes in to this media frenzy to find out just how much a man’s life is worth. Meanwhile, the hostage situation sheds light on a possible scandal involving the company in question. With elements of Dog Day Afternoon and Network, Money Monster is a very timely piece in these economic times.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Why it could succeed:
I might be one of the few to really love Jodie Foster‘s prior big screen directorial outing The Beaver, but that really showed me that she’s capable of a terrific film (for others, it’s been her recent television work with Orange is the New Black). She’s already an Oscar darling in terms of acting, while also now a veteran filmmaker in her own right. Foster saw something in the Black Listed script by Alan DiFiore, Jim Kouf, and Jamie Linden, so you know she’s engaged. She brings a top notch cast to the table here as well, including George Clooney, Jack O’Connell, and Julia Roberts. Foster behind the camera and that trio is a great starting point, particularly in terms of giving both Clooney and O’Connell incredibly baity roles. The former gets to potentially be a smarmy villain of sorts, crossed with Jim Cramer of Mad Money fame, while the latter gets to play the last angry man, as it were. Supposedly, Money Monster features elements of both Dog Day Afternoon and Network, so if it can harness even half the power of either of them, this will be a memorable film, one that the Academy will find hard to ignore. I don’t think that’s the likeliest scenario, but there’s definitely a chance that the movie winds up becoming an Oscar player. The odds aren’t great, but this early, you can’t write anything off just yet. With a bit of luck, Foster could make this into a player of note.
Why it might not:
On the other hand, Foster hasn’t ever captured the Academy’s attention yet as a director, so it could just be that they don’t consider her to be a prestige filmmaker, despite a deference to her as an actress. There’s also nothing really to suggest that the screenwriters have suddenly made something heads and tails above what they’ve previously done, despite its presence on The Black List. Aside from Linden (who had a hand in the underrated high school reunion flick 10 Years), I’d argue that the trio haven’t really even turned in anything of overt quality, so this would make for a pretty big jump if Money Monster is to be a critical success. Clooney tends to get his nominations in big chunks, so this turn could be a hard one for him to get recognized for, even if it looks like it could go either Lead or Supporting. The same goes for O’Connell, who might have to wait a while longer for his first Oscar nomination. Roberts doesn’t have a character that factors into the early plot synopsis, so that makes it hard to immediately see her as a huge contender. Frankly, this is a player with a high probability of getting shut out. Especially if voters feel like this is a subject they would have rather seen become a movie a few years ago, Money Monster could be left out in the cinematic cold. If I were to bet on an outcome, this would be the one my money (no pun intended) would be on.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Awards Speculation:
Assuming everything goes right (or better), Money Monster could show up in a number of places come nomination time. Obviously, the big ones of Best Picture, Best Director (for Foster), and Best Original Screenplay (for DiFiore, Kouf, and Linden) are going to be discussed, while the acting categories will have to sort themselves out. I suspect Roberts is going to be put in Best Supporting Actress, regardless of her chances, but Clooney and O’Connell might mix and match. One will go for Best Actor while the other will go for Best Supporting Actor…I just don’t know which. O’Connell is less likely to score than Clooney either way I think, so it could come down to wherever the latter has his best shot at a nod. Regardless, those noms are hardly sure things. If Money Monster is a bigger player than I think, then keep in mind the technical categories of Best Production Design, Best Cinematography (the film is shot by the talented Matthew Libatique), and Best Film Editing could be worth thinking about as well, though I don’t anticipate tech fields being friendly to this one. We shall see though…anything is possible folks!
Money Monster will be distributed by Sony Pictures Entertainment at some point in 2015, likely during the middle of awards season. *Do keep this in mind…it could potentially get bumped to 2016. I have no evidence to support this, but it’s a hunch.*
Potential Nominations:
Picture
Director (Foster)
Actor (Clooney or O’Connell)
Supporting Actor (Clooney or O’Connell)
Supporting Actress (Roberts)
Original Screenplay (DiFiore, Kouf, and Linden)
Production Design
Cinematography
Film Editing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Awards Profile: Money Monster Empty Re: Awards Profile: Money Monster

Post by Donnamarie Thu 09 Apr 2015, 03:03

Thanks Nicky. Interesting take on how this movie will factor into the awards season.  But just seems this is really premature stuff.  The movie hasn't finished filming yet, don't know when it will be released and we have no idea what the competition will be by the end of this year. 
But it's got some thoughtful points.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 10 Apr 2015, 20:32

Oh here goes.  Colour me cynical, but doesn't George's PR team release the same story for pretty much every film he's in these past five years? Even Monuments Men, while it was still being filmed, was being talked up as a possible Oscars contender at the time.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 10 Apr 2015, 21:09

I don't really understand articles like this when
the film hasn't been finished.
I always worry that it puts the "kiss of death"
onto the whole production.

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to seeing
this. I love films with real locations
and a bit of tension and twists to the story.
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 10 Apr 2015, 21:25

Joanna wrote:I don't really understand articles like this when

Me too.  Love dramas with suspense and tension. And good dialogue.

I can't wait for this one.  More so than Tomorrowland or Hail Caesar.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Fri 10 Apr 2015, 22:04

Do you know, it's of its time.....the public obsession with fame and money....then you add George to the mix....If he turns in the performance of his life....why not?

Early to bed George....No stop! if your in a siege you may want to look tired and stressed....pick it up a notch, meet me in the bar at midnight....first shot on me, Jameson no ice, OK?......
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Sat 11 Apr 2015, 02:26

Donnamarie wrote:
Joanna wrote:I don't really understand articles like this when

Me too.  Love dramas with suspense and tension. And good dialogue.

I can't wait for this one.  More so than Tomorrowland or Hail Caesar.
Frankly I'm more excited for TOMORROWLAND right no. Cause last night I just watched the Iron Giant and then... Brad Bird really is a genius. Four films to his name so far, four brilliant ones. Can't wait to see how he would do with George in that adventure.
As for Hail Caesar, I'm also so hyped. I 've loved almost everything the Coens did.Especially with such an awesome cast and the comedy type.
I do hope George would do well in Money Monster...the role seems to fit in. Just. Foster doesnt appear as a better director than the previous two.
Jesus, George has worked with three of my favorite directors in a row! Loved Alfonso's Harry Potter film many years ago.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 11 Apr 2015, 17:07

We've been talking so much about this film and "Tomorrowland" that I completely forgot about "Hail Caesar"! Very Happy I don't know which one I'm looking forward to more. I love sci-fi and really want to see "Tomorrowland", but I love George in his more adult roles so "Money Monster" is definitely on my must see list. I don't know how anyone can tell if it will be award worthy a this point unless they are judging by the subject matter and the cast. IMO that really doesn't guarantee anything.

I don't know what to expect from "Hail Caesar". I have a feeling it will have more of an "Oceans" vibe , but with the Coens at the helm, who knows what it will be. I want to see it as much out of curiosity as anything else.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 12 Apr 2015, 13:37

I want all three, on Blu Ray, to pop through my 
letterbox ASAP.

Sofa bounce
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sun 12 Apr 2015, 18:02

So are there definitive dates for Money Monster and Hail Caesar?

I know Tomorrowland drops on May 22nd right before Memorial Day here in the US so that should be a good weekend - IF the film lives up to the previews.

But wasn't sure when the others open.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Fri 17 Apr 2015, 23:38

This article seems very premature....they aren't even done filming yet. And who knows how Jodie will shape the film in post. The writer just seems to have a bias against the film and really no basis to count it out yet.

Thanks for posting the article though Smile

kat19
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sat 18 Apr 2015, 01:10

So to summarize the article, either everyone involved could be nominated for an Oscar or it could be a total dud? There's some top-notch expert analysis right there. Couldn't this story be reprinted for every film yet to be released this year, with just the names and plot details changed?

I'm going to go out on a limb and just ask: is anyone else over Julia Roberts?  I like most of her movies, but I'd say since "Erin Brockovich" my reaction to her performances has been mostly "meh". I would love to have seen a more exciting actress in this film. In fact, it would have been a great opportunity to make my Viola Davis/George reunion fantasy a reality. Come on, Jodie! We were so close! Very Happy

And Katie, haven't you been paying attention? GEORGE CLOONEY DOES NOT CAMPAIGN FOR OSCARS ANYMORE CERTAINLY NOT NINE AND HALF MONTHS BEFORE AWARDS SEASON STARTS BY THE WAY HE AND HIS WIFE MIGHT STILL HAVE A BABY HAVEN'T TAKEN THAT OFF THE TABLE YET FYI BUT HE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT AWARDS HOW MANY TIMES DOES HE HAVE TO SAY IT Wink
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down