George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Is this a marriage of convenience for his image???? EmptyToday at 15:43 by benex

»  George filming new film in UK
Is this a marriage of convenience for his image???? EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Is this a marriage of convenience for his image???? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Is this a marriage of convenience for his image???? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Is this a marriage of convenience for his image???? EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Is this a marriage of convenience for his image???? EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Is this a marriage of convenience for his image???? EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Is this a marriage of convenience for his image???? EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Is this a marriage of convenience for his image???? EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Is this a marriage of convenience for his image????

+25
premiere
fava
Silje
party animal - not!
blubelle
lionheart
phys major
annemarie
Alisonfan
Nicky80
bgarabedian
The next mrs clooney
lelacorb
Lighterside
Atalante
theminis
it's me
Mazy
pandabear
Joanna
LornaDoone
Way2Old4Dis
LizzyNY
Missa
PigPen
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is this a marriage of convenience for his image???? Empty Re: Is this a marriage of convenience for his image????

Post by PigPen Sun 29 Jun 2014, 18:40

He's the last of the boys to re-marry, yes?  Could Thom M's engagement then wedding in Cabo been an influence?  "time to grow up, I'm the last kid standing"

PigPen
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Is this a marriage of convenience for his image???? Empty Re: Is this a marriage of convenience for his image????

Post by Missa Mon 30 Jun 2014, 03:53

I think maybe he has come to the realization that all his friends are husbands and/or fathers, all of them have successful careers, all of them make the time to go on their little vacations and trips together...maybe getting married wouldn't be the end of life as he knew it that he always feared it would be.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:33

Unless he has a marriage like Shirley MacLaine and her husband, his life IS going to change. Being accountable to another person is not the same as being a free agent, no matter how much you want to continue "business as usual".
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 30 Jun 2014, 14:25

With men and marriage, timing is everything. She doesn't have to be the most beautiful woman in the world. She only has to be attractive to him, and (seem to) be the person who fits into what he sees himself doing for the rest of his life. A hot young thing who's only going to get hotter and more beautiful for the next ten years would not be a good choice for a 53-year-old man who cares so much about a serious image.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 30 Jun 2014, 16:33

Way2Old - I agree with you. I just hope she really cares about him or in a few years he could find himself living a single life, but with a wife who's off living a life of her own - ex: her parents.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 30 Jun 2014, 16:44

I hope so, too. But I've come to the conclusion that the "smug" look on her face is simply the confidence of a woman who knows her man is more into her than she is into him. Not that any of us wouldn't kill for that at one time or another...

I've thought it interesting from the very beginning that George chose someone who can't be with him most of the time even if she wanted to. He's the one who has most of the options to come and go. So what seems like a big change for him is really just an alteration in the 'control' part of his relationship M.O.

And I don't think the situation of her parents' relationship escaped his notice, either.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 30 Jun 2014, 16:56

Way - If true, I think it's really sad - for both of them. It's not a marriage, it's a legal booty-call. Why bother?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Mon 30 Jun 2014, 18:30

LizzyNY wrote:Way - If true, I think it's really sad - for both of them. It's not a marriage, it's a legal booty-call. Why bother?
IMAGE, darling.  It's all about his public image.  All his booty calls has made him a  major joke. Everywhere!  Doesn't matter if he decides on politics in the future.  At that moment, his image needs a major overhaul.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 30 Jun 2014, 18:53

IMO he'd be better off single than in a marriage like that! It doesn't do much for his image if they spend so little time together that the marriage looks like a business arrangement. IMO it would give credence to all those rumors about "beards" and hired girlfriends - only this time it woulld be a hired wife!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Mon 30 Jun 2014, 22:27

Or maybe not.  Maybe people will think:  "Wow, what a nice mature relationship.  They both have busy careers and respect each other's time and are working to spend time together when they can."

My parents spent most of their marriage apart because of his job.  They lasted over 40 years (second marriage for both) until they both passed.

Y'all are just coming up with excuses to try to make yourselves feel better about this.

If they think it will work and they work at it - IT WILL WORK.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 30 Jun 2014, 23:09

Lorna - No excuses needed on my part, and absolutely no insult intended towards hyour parents, but my idea of marriage involves being with my man. As they say, to each his own and that kind of "mature" relationship ain't my own.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Wed 02 Jul 2014, 00:45

"Even though people may be well known,
they hold in their hearts the emotions of a simple person for the moments that are
the most important of those we know on earth:

Birth, Marriage and Death."

Jackie Kennedy

Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by pandabear Wed 02 Jul 2014, 00:54

Sorry but I am not buying the whole George has found the woman of his dreams, his match, he is head over heals in love.  He has told everyone for years that he would never get married again, he wasn't good at it,, blah blah blah.  He has only known this woman for less than a year when he proposed to her.  They don't have the body language of two people in love.  Not buying it.

pandabear
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Wed 02 Jul 2014, 03:20

LizzyNY wrote:Lorna - No excuses needed on my part, and absolutely no insult intended towards hyour parents, but my idea of marriage involves being with my man. As they say, to each his own  and that kind of "mature" relationship ain't my own.

No insult taken.

My dad was a merchant seaman and was often at sea for months at a time.  Of course, mom and I couldn't be with him.

When he came home he would be home for several months full time, but then would have to go out again for either several weeks or several months.

The separations made their time together so much more precious.  And as my mom said, it gave them both breathing room yet when they were together, they made the most of their time together.

They also wrote to each other extensively (I actually have all the letters my dad sent my mom over the years.  She saved every one and there are hundreds of them.)  

So that's why I say marriages that involve long separations CAN work, but each has to be committed to it and each has to respect the other and their vows while they are apart.

Not everyone can do this - be apart and still make a marriage work.  But some can.

I'm not one that needs to have a man underfoot all the time.  I'm also the type of person who can easily do things on her own.  So if friends are having a get together or dinner, I can go on my own.  I don't have the need to have a  man on my arm to enjoy myself.

I've also traveled alone and I've traveled with others and for me, traveling alone was much more enjoyable.

So yes, to each his own.  But what may work for YOU may not necessarily mean that it would work for George and Amal and that's really all that matters to them.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Wed 02 Jul 2014, 05:15

Very nicely said Lorna also we have no idea what kind of life they are planning. For all we know George might be going to spend most of his time in London. I don't really believe that he is going to run for a political office. But who knows and we don't know how much more work he is going to be doing. After this we cannot be sure of any things he would/wouldn't do. It is like he has made a complete reversal of most of what he has said most of his life. 

MOST IMPORTANT we don't know what is even true of what the gossip rags prints. Guess I like the word most tonight, sorry.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 02 Jul 2014, 06:57

it can work apart
but what about his "control needing"?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Wed 02 Jul 2014, 14:33

So that's why I say marriages that involve long separations CAN work, but each has to be committed to it and each has to respect the other and their vows while they are apart.  there lies the rub

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 02 Jul 2014, 14:45

Hopefully "out of sight, out of mind" won't apply.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 02 Jul 2014, 15:09

but I am sure his 'control' is not about the fear of cheating

(not primarily I think)
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Wed 02 Jul 2014, 17:01

Way2Old4Dis wrote:I hope so, too. But I've come to the conclusion that the "smug" look on her face is simply the confidence of a woman who knows her man is more into her than she is into him. Not that any of us wouldn't kill for that at one time or another...

I've thought it interesting from the very beginning that George chose someone who can't be with him most of the time even if she wanted to. He's the one who has most of the options to come and go. So what seems like a big change for him is really just an alteration in the 'control' part of his relationship M.O.

And I don't think the situation of her parents' relationship escaped his notice, either.
Yup!

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 02 Jul 2014, 22:10

LornaDoone wrote: 

So that's why I say marriages that involve long separations CAN work, but each has to be committed to it and each has to respect the other and their vows while they are apart.

Not everyone can do this - be apart and still make a marriage work.  But some can.

After reading Way2Old's comment about George choosing someone he knew couldn't spend much time with him I went back to read what you said. It struck me that this was pobably the main reason his past relationships fell apart. George has always gone his own way, expecting the women in his life to understand and accept that this is the way things have to be.

I wonder if he'll be able to break the pattern of past behavior. So many Hollywood marriages fail for this very reason. The partners are apart so much that they fall back into the habits of their "single life". Unless Amal doesn't really care, I think George is going to have to do a lot of changing - probably more than he realises. I wish him luck because it won't be easy.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Wed 02 Jul 2014, 23:14

Lizzy NY...Must disagree (I think George is going to have to do a lot of changing - probably more than he realises.).  I truly doubt he would get into a marriage where he has to do a lot of changing. Or a lot of work for that matter.  His pattern appears to always be she ( lady of the moment) has to mold to fit his habits/life etc.  Now, Amal isn't changing for anyone, we all can see that.  Really thing George is going to be the one molding to fit her lifestyle?  Nope!  Unless he has turned into a loved up smitten wuz.   Shocked

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Thu 03 Jul 2014, 00:29

Maybe her lifestyle makes it easy for both of them NOT to have to change too much at all.

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 03 Jul 2014, 02:01

Well, PigPen, I did say "unless Amal doesn't care". If she's happy pursuing her own life while he goes off and does his thing - dropping by occasionally to remind them both that they are married - then more power to them.

If she doesn't change and he doesn't change, where does that leave them?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Thu 03 Jul 2014, 03:00

Maybe Lizzy it leaves them in a situation that they are more comfortable with. George gets his cake and eats it too, the wife to sshh all the naysayers and a lot of freedom to keep on carrying on his life as usual. Not my cup of tea, I always thought the idea of marrying someone was because you had found someone that you can envisage spending the rest of your life with - yep old romantic that I am.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Thu 03 Jul 2014, 03:22

And to look at it from her perspective, it might be a relief to have found someone who she won't have to support, who won't pressure her to give up her career to take care of him or have some babies.  It might not be each of ours cups of tea, but it might (probably) suit them just fine.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 03 Jul 2014, 03:58

Theminis - I'm with you. A "marriage of convenience" doesn't seem worth it to me, but that's just my opinion. If that's what it is, and it suits them, then I hope it works out. I'm hoping there's a lot more there, on both their parts.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 03 Jul 2014, 10:40

I don't think for one minute that George & Amal are entering into a "marriage of convenience" !

That happens amongst the aristocracy here in UK in order to produce heirs coming from good stock,
rather like breeding race horses !
Also of course the wealthy elderly gentlemen needing a trophy wife for business purposes.

I don't think we're looking at either of those scenarios
regarding George & Amal.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Thu 03 Jul 2014, 14:46

Older men looking for younger women, it's a ... trend. Heard it on the radio. One datingbureau in Belgium, Duet I believe, told women above 50 they shouldn't register because men in that age category were looking for younger women.  Twisted Evil
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 03 Jul 2014, 17:51

Joanna - Unless he really is looking for a career change into politics or diplomatic/humanitarian work. Then it's to his advantage to have a wife who is comfortable in that kind of public arena.

I still don't believe the politics scenario, but the rumors won't go away. An increased presence in the diplomatic/humanitarian sector seems more believable to me.

Whatever the motivation, I'm still hoping that this is NOT just a marriage of convenience but one based on a loving relationship on both their parts, that just happens to be convenient.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 03 Jul 2014, 18:23

LizzyNY....why believe or even take notice of rumours ?
It's just gossip writers earning money from the Clooney name isn't it ?
I think we who've followed George for some years now must "know" him well enough to know that this can only be the real thing for both him and Amal.
I don't believe that George would be getting married, after all these years, for any other reason than the one of wanting to show commitment to the lady he loves, likes and wants to spend his life with.

I have a simple mind, I know ! LOL
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Thu 03 Jul 2014, 18:41

Joanna wrote:
I don't believe that George would be getting married, after all these years, for any other reason than the one of wanting to show commitment to the lady he loves, likes and wants to spend his life with.

I agree Joanna, there's nothing in the world that would make George become engaged to be married to anyone, unless he wanted to and there's no reason for him not to follow through and marry her.  He wouldn't have asked if he didn't mean it.
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Thu 03 Jul 2014, 20:16

I disagree.  But I don't want to start WWIII here.  'nuf said  Very Happy  Smile  bounce  Thumbs up!  lip smack

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 03 Jul 2014, 20:21

LOL....WWIII ? Wot....here on COH ?
Never in the reign of pigs puddin' !!

We're all too lovely to do that IMO.  flower 
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Thu 03 Jul 2014, 21:30

Joanna wrote:LizzyNY....why believe or even take notice of rumours ?
It's just gossip writers earning money from the Clooney name isn't it ?
I think we who've followed George for some years now must "know" him well enough to know that this can only be the real thing for both him and Amal.

I have a simple mind, I know ! LOL
I guess my mind  is a bit on the simple side also. As much as it behooves me to say it I honestly don't believe George wound be getting married if he wasn't completely IN LOVE. I think that in his way he cared about most of his other ladies he was not IN LOVE with them, or a particular one hurt him so he moved on.

Everything except the engagement is (ASS out of U and MEd) lets not fall prey to gossips. GTC is not that kind of person to marry for convenience we  should give George and Amal the benefit of doubt, not that they need our blessing.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Thu 03 Jul 2014, 21:52

Labirintico wrote:
Joanna wrote: LizzyNY .... perchè credono o anche prendere atto di voci?
E 'solo gossip scrittori guadagnare denaro dal nome Clooney non è vero?
Penso che che sono già seguita George per alcuni anni bisogna "conoscere" abbastanza bene da so che questo non può che essere la cosa reale sia per lui e Amal.
non credo che George sarebbe sposarsi, dopo tutti questi anni, per qualsiasi altro motivo che quello di voler dimostrare impegno per la donna che ama, ama e vuole trascorrere la sua vita con. ho una mente semplice, lo so! LOL

Credo che la mia mente è un po 'sul lato semplice anche. Per quanto mi convien dire che onestamente non credo che George ferita da sposarsi se non era completamente innamorato. Penso che a suo modo si preoccupava più delle sue altre signore che non era innamorato di loro, o uno in particolare mi ha colpito così si trasferì. Tutto tranne l'impegno è ( ASS di U e ME D) consente di non cadere preda di pettegolezzi. GTC non è quel tipo di persona a sposarsi per convenienza dobbiamo dare George e Amal il beneficio del dubbio, non è che hanno bisogno la nostra benedizione.

Our blessing? absolutely not! But a change, at least in the eyes of a man in love with this woman than the woman look she had with her ​​ex, at least you! For me though, really gets married; it does so only because they are afraid of growing old alone! I see no assumption that tell me he does for love!
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by The next mrs clooney Thu 03 Jul 2014, 22:28

If it was about not wanting to grow old alone or it being a marriage of convenience wouldn't he have chosen an easier relationship?  With someone that lived in the same country and didn't have their own career so would be able to be at his beck and call?  Its quite funny that people say it is a marriage of convenience but I've yet to think of anything that is convenient about it.  Seems way to complicated to be convenient.  JMO.
The next mrs clooney
The next mrs clooney
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Thu 03 Jul 2014, 22:38

I never thought about the convenience I have thought about the loneliness of being alone No man in the midst of so many married friends with children. convenience? Absolutely not! Perhaps the fear of being alone tomorrow!
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 04 Jul 2014, 00:01

Wow! What the heck did we start? Way2Old and I were debating whether George'd have to change much after marriage. Now we've morphed into a "marriage of convenience" discussion. My point was only that IF she doesn't mind being away from him most of the time then maybe this is /could become more a marriage of convenience than a love match, and that would be sad. Obviously I haven't a clue how they really feel.

For his sake, I hope they're crazy about each other and will be very happy together.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Fri 04 Jul 2014, 00:32

And does all of this belong in the Amal general thread? How about the wedding thread? I'd move all this but i've got to go. Maybe later.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Fri 04 Jul 2014, 07:38

LizzyNY wrote:Wow! What the heck did we start? Way2Old and I were debating whether George'd have to change much after marriage. Now we've morphed into a "marriage of convenience" discussion. My point was only that IF she doesn't mind being away from him most of the time then maybe this is /could become more a marriage of convenience than a love match, and that would be sad. Obviously I haven't a clue how they really feel.

For his sake, I hope they're crazy about each other and will be very happy together.
See what you did Lizzy  Basketball  They had better be in Love that I had to give George for her sake.  Basketball  Basketball  What happened to all our laughs, we all will know when we should know.  Basketball  Basketball  Basketball 
Everyone have a safe night. love1  love1  love1
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Is this a marriage of convenience for his image???? Empty Is this a marriage of convenience for his image????

Post by bgarabedian Fri 04 Jul 2014, 08:30

I do agree, George would never marry except in this case. he is completely in love and has never felt this way in a long time. I think they both love each other and that is all there is to it. Not a marriage of convenience ,or  politics, just a love struck man who want this lady to be his wife. I wish them both happiness and contentment. I hope he knows what he is doing, but now at his age, I am sure he does. I hope u the best george and may I work with you on another film soon.bg

bgarabedian
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 04 Jul 2014, 09:27

LornaDoone wrote:And does all of this belong in the Amal general thread?  How about the wedding thread?  I'd move all this but i've got to go.  Maybe later.

Separated the thread and moved it here. Very Happy
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:23

Marriage of convenience? Absolutely not.

I think he will find, this marriage IF it goes ahead will be the most inconvenience he has ever been put to.

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:03

I think George loves Amal and she loves him. He wouldn't marry her if he didn't he waited a long time for this moment.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:18

Alisonfan wrote:Marriage of convenience? Absolutely not.

I think he will find, this marriage IF it goes ahead will be the most inconvenience he has ever been put to.

Is your crystal ball cloudy or clear today Alisonfan ?  Shocked 
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by phys major Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:43

It seems to be VERY clear to me...perfectly said AF
phys major
phys major
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by lionheart Fri 04 Jul 2014, 13:36

We still have time to stop the wedding. Razz 

When Tina Fey and Amy made fun of him the last time, even I thought it was too much. I wished then he would just stick to one woman so the jokes would stop. Maybe he was thinking the same too? lol He's a prideful person. Surely the jokes embarrassed him.

I think the marriage is a little about recovering his image. But it's not necessary a bad thing.

Anyway I wish him well.

lionheart
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 04 Jul 2014, 14:21

But the joke was mainly about that George has problems to be with women his own age. And Amal is not his own age she is the same age like the exes way younger then him. Don't think the joke has anything to do with it.
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 04 Jul 2014, 14:54

I think the joke made George re-think his image. It poked his vanity and maybe embarrassed him more than a little. At a time when he wants to be taken seriously, he's being laughed at as a stereotype playboy.

I don't think it had anything to do with him getting married, except that it may have made him reassess his behavior. I guess Amal just came along at the right time.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next