George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
Seven Secrets Behind Blockbuster Clooney And Bullock Film Gravity EmptyToday at 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Seven Secrets Behind Blockbuster Clooney And Bullock Film Gravity EmptyToday at 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Seven Secrets Behind Blockbuster Clooney And Bullock Film Gravity EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Seven Secrets Behind Blockbuster Clooney And Bullock Film Gravity EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Seven Secrets Behind Blockbuster Clooney And Bullock Film Gravity EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Seven Secrets Behind Blockbuster Clooney And Bullock Film Gravity EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Seven Secrets Behind Blockbuster Clooney And Bullock Film Gravity EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Seven Secrets Behind Blockbuster Clooney And Bullock Film Gravity EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Seven Secrets Behind Blockbuster Clooney And Bullock Film Gravity EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Seven Secrets Behind Blockbuster Clooney And Bullock Film Gravity

Go down

Seven Secrets Behind Blockbuster Clooney And Bullock Film Gravity Empty Seven Secrets Behind Blockbuster Clooney And Bullock Film Gravity

Post by Mazy Wed 16 Oct 2013, 21:25

Seven Secrets Behind Blockbuster Clooney And Bullock Film Gravity
LINDSAY PUTNAM AND NEWS.COM.AU
news.com.au
October 15, 2013 9:20AM

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
George Clooney in Gravity.
GRAVITY has the most hype of any film this year - and for good reason.

The Oscar hopeful set a record for biggest October opening, bringing in an estimated $55.6 million and beating out former front-runner Paranormal Activity 3, which ear ned $52.6 million in 2011. It was also the biggest opening ever for A-list co-stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, who have long sought the perfect film to work on together.

If you haven't seen it yet, don't wait for the buzz to die down. Get yourself a ticket so you can join in on the many conversations going on in workplaces, kitchens and social media forums about the film.
Here are some of the secrets to this month's hottest movie:

1. The film is about survival, not space

We know what you're thinking: 'I hate sci-fi flicks'. Well, the good news is that while the film may be set in space, it's actually more about the human battle against the elements, life and each other. We can't give too much away but suffice to say, you don't have to like Star Wars to enjoy Gravity.

Sandra Bullock and George Clooney in Gravity

2. George Clooney had to be reined in

Nothing makes us smile more than the thought of eternal prankster George Clooney having to sit on his hands during filming. But in this case, apparently it was necessary. Due to the intensity of shooting Gravity, Clooney promised Bullock he would spare her his usual antics.

"There was a truce . . . This film was so hard - pranks had no place. We had no downtime. How are you going to prank someone who's hanging from a scaffolding where 12 wires are rigged up all day? We had a truce from the very get-go because that just wasn't the appropriate place to prank someone," Clooney told the audience during a Comic-Con panel in San Diego in July.

3. The music is out of this world

Because there's no noise in space, Gravity director Alfonso Cuaron wanted a musical score that avoided the stereotypical explosions you hear in action films. Thus, Cuarón demanded that percussion be omitted from the soundtrack.

4. Bullock is amazing, and she tried to look like a man for the role

Six months before shooting commenced, Bullock began a daily workout regimen. Her goal was to strip her character of her femininity. "I wanted to remove what she looked like as a woman, what reminded her of being feminine and motherly, just so that the body was a machine," Bullock said at the Toronto International Film Festival. Her commitment to the role of Dr. Ryan Stone could see her take home another Oscar.

A scene from the film, Gravity Screening 2013 Venice Film Festival Supplied

5. She also had a direct line to the Space Station during filming

The actress' brother-in-law happened to meet the brother of astronaut Cady Coleman, who was aboard the International Space Station while Bullock was filming. Bullock passed along her cellphone number and Coleman was patched through from space, offering tips on issues ranging from how to move in zero gravity to how to deal with the psychological toll of being unable to go home.

6. Everything seems so real

Gravity contains some of the most exquisite visual affects you will ever see, and if you are lucky enough to see the film in 3D, you'll be pulled right into the action.

The actors left no stone unturned when preparing for the roles either. To fake the feel of zero gravity and perfect the lighting, Cuarón created a "light box". The box was filled with lights and monitors where Bullock and Clooney would spend hours on end suspended by cables.

Bullock spent considerably more time in the box than Clooney: "In the middle of the shoot, I was so lonely and frustrated - it's kind of like solitary confinement. I thought, if I were up in that thing [the spaceship], at least I'd be communicating with some people," Bullock said in a CNN interview.

7. Unlike real astronauts, Bullock got permission to bring her son, Louis, with her

Before accepting the lost-in-space role, Bullock insisted on accommodations for her 3-year-old son. "It has to be a great time for my son. I can't miss him. If I miss him, I will be of no use to you," Bullock, in a People interview, recalled telling Cuarón. Co-star Clooney also pitched in, reportedly playing basketball with the tot on the set while Bullock was busy filming. It's hard not to love such dedicated and down-to-earth celebrities.

Sandra Bullock in a scene from Gravity.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down