George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» The Good News
"Why I don't fancy George Clooney" (by a clearly demented blogger) EmptyYesterday at 18:19 by annemariew

» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
"Why I don't fancy George Clooney" (by a clearly demented blogger) EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
"Why I don't fancy George Clooney" (by a clearly demented blogger) EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
"Why I don't fancy George Clooney" (by a clearly demented blogger) EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
"Why I don't fancy George Clooney" (by a clearly demented blogger) EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
"Why I don't fancy George Clooney" (by a clearly demented blogger) EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
"Why I don't fancy George Clooney" (by a clearly demented blogger) EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
"Why I don't fancy George Clooney" (by a clearly demented blogger) EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
"Why I don't fancy George Clooney" (by a clearly demented blogger) EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

"Why I don't fancy George Clooney" (by a clearly demented blogger)

+2
lucy
Katiedot
6 posters

Go down

"Why I don't fancy George Clooney" (by a clearly demented blogger) Empty "Why I don't fancy George Clooney" (by a clearly demented blogger)

Post by Katiedot Tue 08 Feb 2011, 13:50

Clearly this doesn't belong on a fan website, but it's a slow news day [make that a slow news week], so here ya goes. And, by the way, am I the only person on this planet who doesn't see the resemblance between George and Cary Grant?

From Nettie Thomson

Why I Don’t Fancy George Clooney

Posted on February 7, 2011

by nettiewriter

When I was little girl, my first crush was Liberace. I played piano and he was the only other person I’d seen on TV playing piano, so to an innocent seven-year old, it made sense.

I quickly moved on to Donny Osmond: in the seventies you fell into one of two camps, Donny or David Cassidy. It was almost a tribal thing and you almost never got a girl who fancied both.

Growing up I had passing fancies including B.A. Robertson and the gorgeous Peter Egan who was responsible for my initial interest in the regency period – did you see him as Prince Regent? *swoon*

But around the age of eighteen I found my lifelong crush: Cary Grant.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I had been raised on a diet of old movies. Both my mum and gran, who lived with us, loved the movies and I can remember watching enthralled by Shirley Temple, Deanna Durbin, Bing Crosby & Bob Hope ‘Road Movies’, Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire…. But King among them all was Cary.

OK, I know that he is criticised for only playing himself in every movie, but when you have such a light touch, are such a phenomenal physical comedian, are king of the double-take and look as drop-dead gorgeous as he did, really, is that a problem?

I had a wall of my bedroom covered by framed 8”x10” glossies, procured from as many sources as I could. I went on a pilgrimage to Los Angeles when I was 25, just so I could stand in his footprints in the cement outside Mann’s Chinese Theatre. I named my dog after the character he played in The Bishop’s Wife, an angel called Dudley.

I still remember when he died. It was a Sunday and mum came through to wake me up. I just looked at her face, and I knew he had gone. The rest of the day was spent in tears, receiving calls of condolence from friends.

The truth is that while I adored Cary Grant, virtually worshipping the ground he walked on, I didn’t ‘fancy’ him. What I felt went way beyond that. Yeah, I know. I needed to get a life.

So, twenty years later along comes George Clooney who looks really quite like Cary. I mean, those eyes, that smile….. but I don’t fancy him. He just looks too much like Cary Grant to be fanciable.

Am I mad or is there anyone else out there who understands what I mean?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

"Why I don't fancy George Clooney" (by a clearly demented blogger) Empty Re: "Why I don't fancy George Clooney" (by a clearly demented blogger)

Post by lucy Tue 08 Feb 2011, 14:11

I think the comparisons have more to do with than looks,for me it is the way they hold themselves,in the way they move,their air of sophistication.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

"Why I don't fancy George Clooney" (by a clearly demented blogger) Empty Re: "Why I don't fancy George Clooney" (by a clearly demented blogger)

Post by Merlin Tue 08 Feb 2011, 14:47

I don't think they look alike just their manner suave and witty.
Merlin
Merlin
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by PigLove Tue 08 Feb 2011, 15:19

In the 70s, I liked Dirk Benedict.

I understand the Clooney/Grant thing. They both wear* a suit well and have interesting chins. They do sort of "play themselves." But as much as I admire GTC, he will never be as idiosyncratic and unique as Cary Grant. Grant's accent, the way he moved (former acrobat), the wide variety and large number of roles he played, and his sexily questionable masculinity are unmatched. Clooney is way too symmetrical, normal (no offense to him).

Remember when Grant "just went gay all of a sudden" in Bringing Up Baby? Nobody today could or would be able to compete.

*forgive my use of present tense even tho Grant is gone
PigLove
PigLove
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 08 Feb 2011, 16:01

Before George for me it was Mr Spock, Manolito, Pete Duel and Elton John.
Merlin
Merlin
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Tue 08 Feb 2011, 16:33

George will always be George to me. I don't compare him with anyone else. Now, who is the strange one here??
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 09 Feb 2011, 02:52

Maybe that's my issue: I don't see George as either suave or sophisticated. I think he has a thin veneer of sophistication that he's been working on over the years (and age brings sophistication to all of us).

And George definitely doesn't hold himself well or walk with any kind of elegance - just watch him in any film clip walking and you see he sort-of lurches a bit.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PigLove Wed 09 Feb 2011, 04:25

Good point, Katiedot! In fact, I wonder if he's blown out his knees with all that basketball playing. The "lurch" is very evident in Out of Sight (although he might have cultivated it for the role). And I think it shows up in O Brother as well.
PigLove
PigLove
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Wed 09 Feb 2011, 12:52

IN the ocean series,also OOS, red carpet events,he always looks and moves differently while wearing a suit.But I have to agree with Piglove he'll never be CG.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 09 Feb 2011, 21:36

he is an actor

no?
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Wed 09 Feb 2011, 21:39

Yes,he is an actor. That's what some say!
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down