George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George sells his LA home
The Day the News Died EmptyFri 04 Oct 2024, 19:07 by LizzyNY

» Chit Chat 2024
The Day the News Died EmptyFri 04 Oct 2024, 00:30 by LizzyNY

» Oct 2024 Clooney dinner Party
The Day the News Died EmptyWed 02 Oct 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» My Wolfs review
The Day the News Died EmptySat 28 Sep 2024, 16:56 by Ida

» Happy Tenth Wedding Anniversary to George and Amal
The Day the News Died EmptyFri 27 Sep 2024, 13:20 by Ida

» 2004 more Pranks that Alex does
The Day the News Died EmptyFri 27 Sep 2024, 12:13 by Ida

» https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13897139/George-Clooney-Amal-stars-Albies-charity-NYC.html
The Day the News Died EmptyFri 27 Sep 2024, 11:52 by annemariew

» Clooneys and family and friends in Venice
The Day the News Died EmptyThu 26 Sep 2024, 18:08 by party animal - not!

» George sends congratulations to Cate Blanchett on her latest success
The Day the News Died EmptySun 22 Sep 2024, 15:52 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Day the News Died

2 posters

Go down

The Day the News Died Empty The Day the News Died

Post by Katiedot Thu 29 Nov 2012, 03:38

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the GNGL thread but it's a pet peeve of mine, so it gets its own thread!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Death of the News

David Benjamin, Writer

11/27/2012

When troubadour Don McLean referred to rock 'n' roll great Buddy Holly's death on February 3, 1959, as "the day the music died," he was crafting a metaphor about a period of remarkable innocence and idealism in American history.

McLean's lyric came to me last week while I watched, again, a movie set in the era of Buddy Holly: George Clooney's brilliant Good Night and Good Luck.

In a repeat viewing, it becomes clearer that the central conflict in Clooney's treatment of the 1950's anti-Communist panic was not between Joseph McCarthy, the fanatic red-baiting senator from Wisconsin, and CBS newsman Edward R. Murrow. The real clash, which reverberated further into the future and deeper into American culture, pitted Murrow's courageous producer, Fred W. Friendly, against CBS chief William S. Paley.

In the film, after Murrow's controversial See It Now broadcasts exposed McCarthy as a cowardly demagogue and doomed his Senate career, Paley summons Friendly into his office. There, he quietly sentences See It Now, perhaps the greatest investigative news show in TV history, to a slow but certain death. He sentences Murrow to finishing his career as the anodyne host of a celebrity interview show, Person to Person.

That meeting between Paley and Friendly occurred, although perhaps not exactly as depicted in Good Night and Good Luck. Its date might be recorded somewhere, but would be hard to pin down. Nonetheless, it deserves to be commemorated as "the day the news died," because here was one irreversible moment when the world's most powerful and prestigious broadcast organization subordinated the news to the imperative of entertainment.

That day, Paley -- a pioneer of CBS News -- decided to appease the network's fretful sponsors with news less edgy, and with newsmen less enterprising than Murrow and Friendly. Adding insult to injury, he made Murrow a mere emcee, who wasted his last year on the air tossing softball questions to crooners, comedians, and movie stars.

Until Paley moved CBS News from Page One to the "style" section, the news -- especially on TV -- was not explicitly expected to make money, although it often did. Newspapers and magazines, throughout the 20th century, were profitable because they offered the most affordable advertising medium for most businesses. But all this profit tended to obscure a fact that today -- as advertisers forsake virtually all news media -- is manifestly evident. News isn't a "product," nor is it reliably popular enough to generate the consistent sales that assure profit and reward America's insatiable shareholder class.

William Paley, in that fateful meeting, told Fred Friendly that in order for the news to survive at CBS (and, by extension into the future, in every US media organization), it had to do one thing it could not do and one thing it should not do.

The news cannot, to the satisfaction of America's constant-growth, quarterly-report, Wall Street business culture, create wealth. The news should not, at the expense of seeking the facts and informing its consumers as honestly as necessary, amuse people. The fact that it sometimes -- even often -- entertains is one of the reasons news continues to attract a vast audience.

News, at bottom, is a public service, required to explore aspects of a nation's life, politics, culture, and governance in ways that can be boring, disturbing, and even ghastly. News, if reported thoroughly, properly, and bravely, as Ed Murrow did, can expose realities with which no sensible advertiser wants to associate. News, done well, can be dangerous. It can get people killed.

News serves. Under the sort of tyranny that Joe McCarthy so theatrically feared, news serves the state. In a republic, news at its best serves the people and sustains democracy, without fear, favor, razzle-dazzle, or hope of wealth.

By allowing all those elements -- timidity, favoritism, glitz, and worst of all, the almighty buck -- to subsume broadcast journalism, Bill Paley and CBS forever altered the shape of the news, and imperilled the integrity of American democracy. We see the fruits of news-as-entertainment every day now. The latest example was a tawdry, money-soaked, and tragically information-free election campaign.

The death of the news, like "the day the music died," is a metaphor. But Buddy Holly is really dead. And so is Edward R. Murrow, who said this: "If they are right, and this instrument is good for nothing but to entertain, amuse, and insulate, then the tube is flickering now and we will soon see that the whole struggle is lost."
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Day the News Died Empty Re: The Day the News Died

Post by OofOof Thu 29 Nov 2012, 03:48

Wow! Great article Katie. And so true, sadly. The "news" in this country (U.S.) is very hard to find any longer. Frankly, Murdoch has helped the demise of news right along, as has the increase of right wing talk radio.

In the states now, we have equivalency in our journalism which is based on the belief that every issue has 2 sides. There is no longer fact--just opinion.

Every other developed country in the world accepts that climate change exists. Not this country. In spite of the fact that 98% of scientists all agree it exists and people are causing it, that 2% who are bought and paid for by corporations, are given as much space in our news as the other 98%. It's infuriating! And it's the same with almost every important issue.

I get most of my "news" today from a variety of sources; I take most "news" with a grain of salt unless I can confirm it on several sources. I rarely watch our local or even national news. I go to the BBC, our public television and radio stations, and various sites on the internet I trust.

I know the gossip rags in Britain are notorious for being bad on the facts but I get the impression your regular news is better than ours. We rarely see anything related to the world outside the US and much of what we do see is skewed.

And now, I'll get off my soapbox!

OofOof
OofOof
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down