George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland' EmptyYesterday at 22:11 by Ida

»  George filming new film in UK
George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland' EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland' EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland' EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland' EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland' EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland' EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland' EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland' EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland'

+29
Nicky80
bunny
Mazy
Lakin460
Blue Velvet
Pandora's Box
OofOof
macs
NotAvailable
noodle
Missa
lucy
ktsue2002
Best in Category
laetval
very vera
LornaDoone
cindigirl
it's me
Atalante
Pink Ice 1990
Bewitched
Katiedot
party animal - not!
watching
melbert
Maggy
Joanna
silly girl
33 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland' Empty George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland'

Post by silly girl Sat 10 Nov 2012, 00:30

Sounds interesting from Variety:

Clooney in talks for Disney's alien pic '1952'

George Clooney is negotiating to star in Brad Bird's extraterrestrial pic "1952" at Disney.
Damon Lindelof and Jeff Jensen penned the script, which the Mouse House sees as a high-profile tentpole. Studio is keeping the plot under wraps, though the project is said to be a "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"-esque story following a man who makes contact with aliens on Earth. Lindelof also will produce.

Disney had no comment. Sources cautioned that the project is not officially greenlit, and no cast is yet set.

Bird would make "1952" his follow up to "Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol," his first live action pic after helming toons like "The Incredibles," "Ratatouille" and "The Iron Giant."

Clooney will next star in and direct "The Monuments Men," which he also co-wrote with Grant Heslov, that is lining up Daniel Craig, Bill Murray, John Goodman, Hugh Bonneville, Bob Balaban, Cate Blanchett and Jean Dujardin to co-star. Project revolves around American and British art experts who go on a mission to recover artwork stolen by the Nazis during World War II.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Katiedot on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 02:31; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updated thread title)

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland' Empty Re: George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland'

Post by Joanna Sat 10 Nov 2012, 00:33

Mmmm....what's a "high profile tent pole" please ?
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland' Empty Re: George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland'

Post by Maggy Sat 10 Nov 2012, 02:28

Neutral
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 10 Nov 2012, 03:41

Joanna wrote:Mmmm....what's a "high profile tent pole" please ?
Using the "tent pole" to show that for a circus tent (or project), the pole can be the strongest or the weakest force to hold it up. Adding the "high profile" are the names attached to the project. So, Disney is saying using those two to write the script, they are the "high profile tent pole" to make this something great.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Sat 10 Nov 2012, 10:44

From Wiki:

Tent-pole (entertainment)

The term tent-pole refers to a broadcast programming or motion picture expected to hold up (as is the function of a tent pole) and balance out the financial performance of a movie studio or television network. In the movie business, tent-poles are sometimes widely-released initial offerings in a string of releases and are expected by studios to turn a profit in a short period of time. Such programming is often accompanied by larger budgets and heavy promotion.[1] An example of this strategy in television is to schedule a popular television program alongside new or unknown programming, in an attempt to keep audience viewers watching after the flagship program is over; a prominent example is the long-running Star Trek franchise.

The term is derived from the image of a big circus tent held up by large tent poles. In times past, the circus coming to town anywhere was a major attraction, and, like the circus, a major movie "tent-pole" event today is one producers hope or expect crowds will attend.

watching
watching
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 10 Nov 2012, 12:07

Thank you mel and watching for explanations...it was a new one to
me..... although I immediately had the vision of a Big Top circus tent.
Memories from a mis spent youth on the local circus ground !

This film sounds interesting for a Clooney film.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 10 Nov 2012, 12:08

And am I right in thinking that it's more likely to get a 'green light' if it has big names signed up?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 10 Nov 2012, 12:10

An interesting link from May this year.
There are many more via Google.

Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 10 Nov 2012, 18:05

That's great! I really hope he'll be in a few more films in the future. It's hard going a whole year without a Clooney film to look forward to.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bewitched Sat 10 Nov 2012, 18:39

I agree but I am guessing 2013 and 2014 we will get plenty of Clooney. Making for the lack of Clooney in 2012 I hope.
Bewitched
Bewitched
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 13 Nov 2012, 06:40

Secret code name? Sounds interesting.

November 12, 2012

George Clooney to star in 'top secret' sci-fi film from 'Lost' creator? It's currently being referred to as '1952', but that's apparently just a code name...

The film is currently being referred to as 1952, but according to The Hollywood Reporter, that's just a code name for this "ultra-secret sci-fi project". Exact plot details are being kept under wraps, but it's said to have similarities to Steven Spielberg's Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.

"1952" has a script by Damon Lindelof, who will also produce the movie. Lindelof served as an executive producer on Lost from 2004 to 2010 after creating the show with JJ Abrams and and Jeffrey Lieber. He also co-wrote the screenplay for Ridley Scott's Prometheus, which came out this June (2012).

Alongside Lindelof, "1952" has already lined up Brad Bird as director. Bird helmed last year's Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol and previously directed animated smashes Ratatouille and The Incredibles.

Meanwhile, Clooney will next be seen in another sci-fi film called Gravity, which follows a pair of astronauts struggling to survive on a damaged space station. It co-stars Sandra Bullock and opens in cinemas at some point next year (2013). Clooney has also lined up his next project as director, casting himself alongside Daniel Craig and Bill Murray in a period drama called The Monuments Men.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Ice 1990 Fri 16 Nov 2012, 16:41

Another mysterious sci-fi film for George... and with Disney? Intriguing.

Pink Ice 1990
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Fri 16 Nov 2012, 23:03

Disney has to shape it up !!! Very Happy
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 16 Nov 2012, 23:14

Secret code name?

oh..... scratch
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Tue 27 Nov 2012, 23:32

So what could this movie be about ? 1952, Roswell ? LINK ROTFL
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Wed 02 Jan 2013, 16:43

Not really sure how he would be filming this because it says that it will be filming this spring.

Having trouble copying and pasting.

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Wed 02 Jan 2013, 19:30

Thanks for the Roswell link Atalante. To think alien beings are out there is not beyond the realm of possibility. And I think that those who don't believe are self-centered to deny there is no other life in the whole universe. And I hope the alien government does a better job than ours does here on earth. LOL
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Thu 03 Jan 2013, 04:44

Thanks for all the info. I saw this on his IMDB page but there wasn't much info there. It sounds intriguing.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Thu 03 Jan 2013, 14:18

So what is this 1952 really, I've also read about een link to TESLA ???? confused

Get this : LINK Laughing

Well casting is on the road : LINK cyclops
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

George Clooney to star in Disney's alien pic '1952', renamed 'Tomorrowland' Empty Brad Bird 1952

Post by very vera Mon 14 Jan 2013, 22:59

very vera
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 14 Jan 2013, 23:18

Thread already started here:

melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by very vera Mon 14 Jan 2013, 23:21

oopsy Yeah Right

very vera

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 14 Jan 2013, 23:34

another one?

3D????
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 15 Jan 2013, 03:18

No worries, I've just merged the two threads. I've been thinking it's about time to refresh this topic and now there's this:

EN Movies - George Clooney will star in Disney’s forthcoming sci-fi film 1952.

The actor has been cast to headline the 3D alien movie, SlashFilm.com reports.

Little is known about the script from Damon Lindelof and Jeff Jensen.

George was rumoured to have captured the lead last year but the deal has only just been confirmed.

At the time, Variety reported 1952 was being pitched as a "Close Encounters of the Third Kind-esque story following a man who makes contact with aliens on Earth”.

Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol director Brad Bird will helm the project, despite a recent interview with NewsBeat in which he said he is “not convinced” 3D films would be the future of movie-making. The director was also behind The Incredibles, Ratatouille and The Iron Giant.

1952 would mark his first live-action film since his work on the Mission Impossible franchise.

George is meanwhile next scheduled to star and direct period drama Monuments Men. Daniel Craig, Bill Murray, John Goodman and Cate Blanchett have been attached to star in the project, which George co-wrote with Grant Heslov.

Further casting details on 1952 have not yet been confirmed.

The film is scheduled for a 2014 release.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Thu 24 Jan 2013, 16:35

More info --- sort of :

COOL STUFF
Brad Bird Reveals a Mysterious Box of Things from His Sci-Fi '1952

Well, what do we have here, Mr. Bird? One of the many highly anticipated upcoming sci-fi projects we're keeping a close eye on is 1952, the new movie from Brad Bird, in development at Walt Disney with Damon Lindelof on the script, including George Clooney set to star. While we've covered bits and pieces of news, not much is known about the film beyond it involves making contact with aliens, with a Close Encounters of the Third Kind vibe. Well, AICN has pointed out that Brad Bird himself has posted a photo of a mysterious briefcase full of things that are "the seeds of 1952". Including a 1928 Amazing Stories book. Lots of clues!

Now Brad Bird has his own mystery box, but we actually get to look inside of this one! The photo comes directly from Bird's verified twitter, where he states: "The Box... opened." But not much else. Look inside:

As far as I can see, the big briefcase is full of a few important things: old photos of a man with a mustache who might be Walt Disney; VHS tapes and other old tapes, letters and extra documents; possibly a record, and maybe even some machine parts, too. Just a lot of odd but interesting stuff in there. AICN points out of the most important parts of this - the Amazing Stories book from 1928 (hiding below all the photos). This box of stuff was allegedly discovered by Damon Lindelof at Disney. However, they remind us "if there's a direct connection between the August 1928 issue of Amazing Stories and Disney, I haven't found it yet."

We already debunked the rumor that 1952 is a codename for Star Wars: Episode VII, but other hints seem to indicate some exciting sci-fi ideas. "It might center on the creation of Disneyland", or could cover the original creation of Buck Rogers, as he's the character featured in the comic book in the box. We still have no idea what exactly the movie will be about and/or who Clooney is playing, but this is a rather interesting first look pack with many clues (that may be impossible to truly decipher). With a December 19th, 2014 release date
already set, we'll be following this closely. In the meantime, try to figure what these clues mean.

(sorry can't copy images)

Last edited by silly girl on Thu 24 Jan 2013, 16:53; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 24 Jan 2013, 18:34

Clever teaser to get us guessing....

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by laetval Mon 28 Jan 2013, 20:44

Disney's mysterious '1952' movie has a revealing new name ... -- EXCLUSIVE

The working title has been 1952, but the top secret film being developed by Disney is now unveiling its official moniker …

Tomorrowland.

The movie will definitely star George Clooney, and it is being developed by director Brad Bird (The Incredibles, The Iron Giant) and writers Damon Lindelof and Entertainment Weekly’s own Jeff “Doc” Jensen (who has been unable to breathe a word to his colleagues. Damn him.)

Last week, Lindelof and Bird began teasing a a revelation, posting images of an archive materials box labeled “1952″ on Twitter. Inside the box, which supposedly provided inspiration for the story, is a copy of the book Model Research: The National Advisory Committee For Aeronautics 1918-1958 by military history professor Alex Roland (published in 1985), and an August 1928 edition of Amazing Stories magazine, featuring a man in a flying suit on the cover — the first appearance of the time-leaping hero Buck Rogers.

There is also what appears to be some sort of 45 record, the nozzle of a small rocket engine, and a scattering of photos of Walt Disney himself.
The previously named 1952 has had people throwing around wild guesses regarding its plot, and the filmmakers are clearly trying to tease that a little longer. Some speculated that it was the working title for the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII, back when The Walt Disney Co. first acquired Lucasfilm. Others wondered if it had something to do with the creation of Disneyland, which opened in 1955. Disney’s legendary Imagineering division was founded in 1952 to help develop concepts for the park.

It turned out the theme park guess is not that far off. The company has been trying for a decade to create more film projects off of its Disneyland and Walt Disney World properties, sometimes to great success, such as with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and sometimes less so. The Country Bears anyone? Eddie Murphy appeared in 2003′s The Haunted Mansion, and Guillermo del Toro has been at work developing a revamped version of that story — though its status remains uncertain. (As of last August, he said it was still happening.)

Jensen, EW’s point person on all things Lost, began his writing partnership with Lindelof, the co-creator of that series, after it ended in May 2010. In accordance with Time Inc. policy, Jensen continues to report and write about TV and film, excluding those produced by Disney and its affiliates.

The script for this film is being written by Lindelof and Bird, while those two and Jensen share story credit, and Jensen will be listed as an executive producer.

Tomorrowland is due in theaters Dec. 19, 2014.
laetval
laetval
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Mon 28 Jan 2013, 21:03

thanks this sounds promising....Damon Lindelof is great so there is a good chance this will be awesome!

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Best in Category Mon 28 Jan 2013, 21:48

Tomorrowland???

is one of the largest electronic dance music festivals in the world. It is known to have a drug culture...

Best in Category
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Mon 28 Jan 2013, 21:55

It is also the name of one the areas at Disney World.

Here is Deadline's description (love when GC info pops up on my facebook page)

The film that is a closely guarded secret at Disney has an official title: Tomorrowland. Formerly known as 1952, this is the big-scale tentpole that Brad Bird is directing and co-wrote with Damon Lindelof from a concept by Lindelof and Jeff Jensen. George Clooney is starring in a story that supposedly is about a man who encounters alien life on Earth. It recently was set for a December 19, 2014 release in 3D.

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 28 Jan 2013, 22:49

Oh my word...it doesn't sound like a George type film to me.
Would it be a comedy do you think ?
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 29 Jan 2013, 02:30

A comedy? No, it sounds like sci fi to me.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ktsue2002 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 02:46

Katiedot, just curious, what is up with all the announcements on Facebook saying that you and others can make money blogging about celebrities? I personally don't feel a desire to make money in this manner, but it sounds interesting! Take care, ktsue
ktsue2002
ktsue2002
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 29 Jan 2013, 03:38

ktsue2002 wrote:Katiedot, just curious, what is up with all the announcements on Facebook saying that you and others can make money blogging about celebrities? I personally don't feel a desire to make money in this manner, but it sounds interesting! Take care, ktsue
Oh, that's nonsense by an obsessed Clooney fan who's angry at me. I don't make money from this site.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ktsue2002 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 03:44

Ok. Thanks for the 411! It just sounded strange. I like your site!
ktsue2002
ktsue2002
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 29 Jan 2013, 03:47

Tomorrowland for some reason I keep thinking it's going to be some sort of animated Disney film. Anyone get that vibe?
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 29 Jan 2013, 04:15

I guess Tomorrowland comes from the Disney theme parks and Brad Bird who's making the film is with Disney?

I'm not convinced by the name but I think it works better than 1952 which I liked but sounds like it ought to be some kind of Mad Men spin off family drama. At least Tomorrowland sounds like sci fi.

Maybe they'll come up with another name?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 29 Jan 2013, 04:34

I think a different name might be a good idea too.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Best in Category Tue 29 Jan 2013, 09:41

Different name
Better than tomorrowland
which is not actually a bad name.

White dwarf
Sounds scifi, but is about dying
and it is used a lot already.

New, unused, easy to remember and pronounce name?
Vavilon
Like new Babylon, but in space.

Best in Category
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Tue 29 Jan 2013, 13:56

Hope it's a serious Sci-Fi

Last edited by lucy on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 13:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : messed up)
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 29 Jan 2013, 18:39

who knows...
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Wed 30 Jan 2013, 01:52

Lainey makes an excellent case for the film being a Walt Disney biopic. If George is playing Walt, that could be really great, and finally get him the Best Actor Oscar he's been dying for.

George Clooney as Walt Disney?

I was writing, waxing snarketic on George Clooney starring in a movie written by the guy who specializes in mystical sci-fi bullsh*t (Damon Lindelof of Lost and Prometheus fame) and based on Disney World’s most boring attraction, Tomorrowland (except for Space Mountain, which is f*cking awesome), when I had a thought: Several pieces of information clicked into place and suddenly I was struck by an idea. A tantalizing, sexy idea.

Here’s the rundown: Earlier last year Lindelof and director Brad Bird announced they were developing a project at Disney called 1952. Late last year, George Clooney signed up to star. Yesterday, EW reported that 1952 was changing its name to Tomorrowland. Everyone, myself included, mocked the notion of a movie derived from Tomorrowland, as it is lame (I remember it being a repository for stuff that was either never going to be used, like monorails, or was hilariously out of date, like “microwaves are so crazy!”), but then the switch flipped.

You guys.

What if this is the long-awaited Walt Disney biopic?

Lindelof is a graduate of the JJ Abrams School of SUPER BIG SECRETS, so it’s impossible to trust anything he says, and he’s going to engage in stunting like releasing this tease of a suitcase stuffed full of papers, including photos of Disney. I hate SUPER BIG SECRETS because everything is a tease and everything is a misdirect, but that also means that Lindelof is kind of the perfect guy to develop this project. A Disney biopic has been speculated on forever, with Tom Hanks starring as Disney in Saving Mr. Banks—the story of the making of Mary Poppins—being the closest we’ve come yet. But that still isn’t full-on biographical treatment of one of the most important figures in entertainment history. And if you’re going to do that, at last, what better way to protect its development than by letting Lindelof run wild with his SECRETY SECRETS?

The case for: Disney was a huge futurist and Tomorrowland was his pride and joy, so much so that he’s rumored to have forbidden it ever being shut down, despite its terminal lameness. Tomorrowland has a December 2014 release date, which makes more sense for award bait than for a sci-fi tent pole, especially since Disney will be re-launching Star Wars the next year—why dilute their own brand? And in 1952…he proposed Disneyland.

Is it? IS IT?

It will be a while before we know either way. Clooney is currently in Germany prepping his next movie, which he will also direct, The Monuments Men, adapted from the book about the Allied team that tracked down and saved many priceless pieces of art from destruction toward the end of World War II. It’s a terrific book ripe for a movie adaptation, and Matt Damon and Daniel Craig are on board to co-star, because apparently Clooney is inspired by Vanity Fair now. He’s positioning Monuments Men later this year For Your Consideration. The strategy is already unfolding—this year he’s working the producer’s circuit for Argo, being a bro and supporting Affleck, but this time next year he’s going to be promoting himself and Monuments Men, as well as August: Osage County, another of his producer credits and another potential award contender. Then he could be back the following year for his role as Walt Disney.

Clooney is seriously gaming with the Academy, and seems to be angling to be as much a power player as a producer as he is an A-list actor. Is it really the moment for a cheesy Disney sci-fi movie? Or are the next couple years more about the prestige? And what’s more prestigious than being the one to finally, finally bring Walt to the big screen in his own biopic?

I can see it. Can’t you?

Here's the pic she uses. Not too bad, huh?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 30 Jan 2013, 04:51

Oooooooooh!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle Wed 30 Jan 2013, 05:08

Yes!!!

noodle

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Wed 30 Jan 2013, 05:24

Missa wrote:Lainey makes an excellent case for the film being a Walt Disney biopic. If George is playing Walt, that could be really great, and finally get him the Best Actor Oscar he's been dying for.

Here are some other potential "playing Walt Disney" names that have been passed around!

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 30 Jan 2013, 05:55

scratch

so
when the truth?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 30 Jan 2013, 10:01

A young Clark Gable playing Walt Disney?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Wed 30 Jan 2013, 12:18

LornaDoone wrote:
Missa wrote:Lainey makes an excellent case for the film being a Walt Disney biopic. If George is playing Walt, that could be really great, and finally get him the Best Actor Oscar he's been dying for.

Here are some other potential "playing Walt Disney" names that have been passed around!

I don't know about Ryan Gosling, but Tom Hanks is playing Walt Disney in a film called Saving Mr Banks, which is about the production of Mary Poppins. Not quite a biopic, more about that one particular project he worked on. Anyway, there's always room for more than one interpretation!

Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:03

So, this is where Lainey got her theory from!

Disney Historian Has A Theory About Brad Bird's Mysterious Tomorrowland

2013-02-11 1

Author: Eric Eisenberg

Brad Bird's Tomorrowland is the big new mystery on the block in Hollywood. Originally titled 1952, the project is a collaboration between the Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol director and Damon Lindelof, but all details about the plot have been kept under wraps. The history that has been going around is that Lindelof went into Disney one day and was given a banker's box with the label "1952" on it. After looking through the box he was suddenly inspired. But what is the story that he was inspired to come up with?

Walt Disney historian Jim Hill says that he has a theory and posted it on his official website. And it all begins with this photograph that Bird posted on his Twitter feed a couple weeks back:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

After Bird released that shot, the official Disney fan club, D23, analyzed the box and its contents and came up with a detailed list of 12 different objects that can be seen. It was from this box that Hill developed his theory, and it's about how the US government once tried to use Walt Disney and his family-friendly ways to tell the populations of both America and the world that aliens and unidentified flying objects actually exist. Crazy? Just wait for the details.

Hill's story ties in with a tale that former Imagineer Ward Kimball "loved to tell as its jumping-off point." It all began with Disneyland TV series , which aired an episode called Man in Space. The show was so popular - finding 42 million viewers - that not only is it said it inspired the US to enter the space race, it led government officials to approach Disney about making a "UFO Picture." According to the story, the members of the government believed that Disney's name, reputation, and tone delivering such devastating news would prevent panic and chaos. Eventually the project was cancelled when the government backed out of using real UFO footage.

It's a very cool idea and a certainly a story I would love to see play out on the big screen, but would this mean that George Clooney, who was previously announced to star, would be playing Walt Disney? If that's the case, will it be weird that Tom Hanks will also be playing the legendary studio head in the upcoming Mary Poppins drama Saving Mr. Banks? A very interesting theory at the very least.

Want to know what's in the box? Read on:

D23 Turns to Disney Archivist to Uncover Clues about Brad Bird and Damon Lindelof’s Mysterious Twitter Photo of Box 1952

02.04.13 – A picture of Walt Disney with Major Woodlief of the U.S. Army General Reserve Fund, a 1960s Walt Disney Productions logo, and an old banker’s box from the 1965 production of That Darn Cat are just a few of the puzzling items Walt Disney Archives confirmed in the photos recently posted on Twitter.

Has The Walt Disney Studios uncovered a lost treasure?

Disney Fans, Twitter followers, and the media have been speculating on the contents of a perplexing box labeled “1952,” since Pixar Animation Studios writer/director Brad Bird and screenwriter/producer David Lindelof posted photos of this curious container on their personal Twitter accounts on January 23.

Last week, The Walt Disney Studios announced the film, which will release on December 19, 2014, is now titled Tomorrowland (it was previously known as 1952). Bird is in the director’s seat and is writing the script with Lindelof.

But what do the box’s contents reveal?

D23: The Official Disney Fan Club turned to the Walt Disney Archives Director Becky Cline—no stranger to archival sleuthing—to help us unravel some of the riddles wrapped inside this mysterious and enigmatic photograph. Here’s what she shared with us:

1. From the age, type, and conditions of the items I can see, I feel that the materials in the box were gathered together for a project from the past. Perhaps as research for a science-fiction-themed film, television, or park attraction, or even a futurism project like Walt’s vision of EPCOT.

2. It looks like someone reused an old banker’s box from another Disney production. We don’t use this style of boxes anymore at the studio. There is another sticker on the cover of the box, but the text on the picture is obscured.

3. Someone put tape over the original production label and hand wrote “1952″ in pen—the brevity of the title and the fact that it’s handwritten sounds to me like it’s probably a working title. Both the studio and WED often used working titles before they came up with a final title of the project. “The Concert Feature” was what they called Fantasia before they decided upon a final name for example.

4. On the top there are some old photos. The three that I can see are of Walt with visitors, probably taken here at the studio. The one on top is in our photo collection and I was able to identify the man with him as Major Woodlief of the U.S. Army Reserve General Fund. It was taken in September 1943. The Disney Studio worked closely with the United States government and military soon after the bombing of Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, and U.S. Army, Navy and Air Force elements were stationed at the Lot for the duration of the war. I can’t identify the people in the other photos, but we have the negatives for the photos in our collection. They were taken in 1950.

5. There is a large manila envelope sealed with a loose sticker. It appears to have material in it, but we can only guess its contents. From the size and shape of the envelope, I would guess it might contain maps, brochures, or some other kind of folded documents.

6. The magazine that appears along with this curious collection of documents and objects provides more clues. It is a copy of the science fiction magazine Amazing Stories from August 1928. I got a closer look at the cover by looking it up online. It shows a man in flight wearing some sort of jet pack, powered by a hand-controlled device of some sort. After doing a little more research, I discovered that the cover story of that particular issue is the serialized novel The Skylark of Space, written by Elmer Edward “Doc” Smith and Lee Hawkins Garby. Walt was always interested in futurism and flight especially in the 1950s and early ’60s; in fact, for Disneyland’s Tencennial Celebration in 1965, he actually had a man fly down Main Street, U.S.A. with a jet pack. The man also did flight demonstrations in Tomorrowland in the Flight Circle.

7. There are two slide boxes in the box, one features the Technicolor logo; the writing on the other white slide box is indecipherable.

8. There is a 45 rpm record that appears to be a master disc. It is probably from the ’40s or early ’50s (these type of records pre-date magnetic tape recording). It’s definitely not the kind of record that is pressed and sold to the public. Unfortunately, its handwritten label is too blurry to decipher.

9. There is a blue paperback book in the box. The title appears to be Moral Research. The spine has other writing that I can’t read—the author’s name could possibly be at the top, but I can’t make it out. There is another name that looks to me like “Roland”—probably the name of a fictive publisher.

10. There is a small white box on the right side that looks like the boxes we use to store individual reels of 8mm film. There is no print that I can see for further ID.

11. There is a U.S. mail letter on the right side. I can see two purple postage stamps, but the denomination is not clear enough to read.

12. Under the photos, record, magazine, and the letter is what looks to me like one of the old peg-and-screw albums we used to use here at the Studio for scrapbooks. It appears to have more photos and perhaps art in it (artboard anyway). Under that are the old string accordion files that we used to use for clippings, documents, loose art, etc. And there are a couple of manila mailing envelopes, too.

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:51

intriguing
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next