George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George in Tuscany
Australia Floods Turn Deadly: 'A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'  EmptyYesterday at 19:45 by benex

» The Good News
Australia Floods Turn Deadly: 'A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'  EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 18:19 by annemariew

» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
Australia Floods Turn Deadly: 'A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'  EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Australia Floods Turn Deadly: 'A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'  EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Australia Floods Turn Deadly: 'A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'  EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Australia Floods Turn Deadly: 'A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'  EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Australia Floods Turn Deadly: 'A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'  EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Australia Floods Turn Deadly: 'A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'  EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Australia Floods Turn Deadly: 'A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'  EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Australia Floods Turn Deadly: 'A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'

+3
sisieq
melbert
Lighterside
7 posters

Go down

Australia Floods Turn Deadly: 'A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'  Empty Australia Floods Turn Deadly: 'A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'

Post by Lighterside Sun 02 Jan 2011, 16:49

Happy New Year to all and hopefully Dexterdidit and our other Aussie friends have managed to stay dry and happy this holiday. Check in and let us know that you're doing alright!

Australian Floods

BRISBANE, Australia — A woman drowned after trying to cross a flooded causeway in Australia, becoming the first victim of relentless flooding that one official has described as reaching "biblical proportions," police said Sunday.

Days of pounding rain last week left much of northeastern Australia swamped by a sea of muddy water, with flooding affecting about 200,000 people in an area larger than France and Germany combined. The rain has stopped, but rivers are still rising and overflowing into low-lying communities as the water moves toward the ocean.

On Saturday night, two cars trying to cross a flooded causeway were swept into a river in Burketown, in western Queensland state, police said. A 41-year-old woman traveling in the second car disappeared in the rushing water, and her body was recovered Sunday about 1.2 miles (2 kilometers) away, Queensland police said.

"We're just grateful there weren't more casualties," Queensland's Acting Assistant Police Commissioner Alistair Dawson said. "We're focused on preventing any more."

About 1,000 people were living in evacuation centers across the state, and it may be a month before floodwaters dry up, Dawson said.

"It's hard to make the call that the worst is behind us," he said. "It's a unique event – parts of the state are still in response mode while others are in recovery. I think we're in the middle of the event."

Officials say half of Queensland's 715,305 square miles (1.8 million square kilometers) has been affected by the flooding. Queensland Premier Anna Bligh warned that cleanup efforts were expected to cost billions of dollars.

Another severe thunderstorm was expected to sweep through much of southern Queensland later Sunday, bringing damaging hail and winds and the potential for flash flooding, the state Bureau of Meteorology warned.

"In many ways, it is a disaster of biblical proportions," Queensland Treasurer Andrew Fraser told reporters in the flooded city of Bundaberg on Saturday.

The city of Rockhampton, near the coast, is the next community in the water's path, and is bracing for flood levels to peak Wednesday.

Officials have been evacuating Rockhampton residents for days, and some were still being moved on Sunday. Mayor Brad Carter warned about 40 percent of the city could be affected by the surging waters, and residents could be forced to wait at least two weeks before returning home.

Around 1,000 homes had water in their yards by Sunday, Dawson said. About 30 residents were staying at an evacuation center, while others have moved in with friends and relatives.

Not everyone was outwardly worried. Water was lapping at the steps of one Rockhampton pub, but the owner had no plans to close down.

"In the big cities, they pay big bucks for canal frontage," Fitzroy Hotel owner Tony Higgins said.

Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Australia Floods Turn Deadly: 'A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'  Empty Re: Australia Floods Turn Deadly: 'A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'

Post by melbert Sun 02 Jan 2011, 19:06

Lighter, I believe that most of our Aussie friends are in the southeastern region, but I'm not sure. Yes, please check in with us if you can! It is so devasting, anything like this is. I'm glad they ended the story on a humorous note. "Canal frontage" - optomistic chap he is!
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Australia Floods Turn Deadly: 'A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'  Empty Re: Australia Floods Turn Deadly: 'A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'

Post by sisieq Sun 02 Jan 2011, 19:17

For those who "know" WildButterfly, I'm pretty sure she lives in the Northeast. Not quite sure where Dexter lives.

I sent her a PM and will let you guys know.

Last edited by sisieq on Sun 02 Jan 2011, 19:20; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added secton paragraph.)

sisieq
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Sun 02 Jan 2011, 19:23

Australia is in my prayers.
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Sun 02 Jan 2011, 19:30

Thanks Sisieq, it was Wild Butterfly I was thinking of but wasn't sure. Yes, please let us know if you get a response. With the other site still down, it's probably the only way we'll know if she's okay.

Yes, Australia is in need of prayers for sure deb!

Yes, I think Dexterdidit is in the southern region Mel and hopefully she and her babies are all nice and dry!
Lighterside
Lighterside

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Sun 02 Jan 2011, 20:08

I think Emerald is in the Southern region, too. You use to have another Crumb who was from Oz, but I don't remember her nic. Will do about WB. I'm sure she'll be happy she's thought of my others and I'll let her know that, too!

sisieq

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Sun 02 Jan 2011, 20:20

Well she's (WB) really been working tirelessly in Kimber's absence. I would hate to think that something has happened to her and we don't know about it, since we can't really find out until Kimbers' site is back up and running. It would be great if you could let us know. Thanks!

I have a shout out to the other crumbs, we have a few Aussies that I'm concerned about.
Lighterside
Lighterside

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Sun 02 Jan 2011, 22:46

Heard from WildButterfly -

Re flooding, I'm in South East, so not affected by the flooding. You can tell people I'm in the East Coast if you like. So the floods are not here and I"m good (ya know, well besides sweating like a pig etc.).

sisieq

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Sun 02 Jan 2011, 23:36

Hi all, we are all safe down here. It is raining but not flooding where I live. Em lives nearer to Sydney so she is safe too. It is mainly up Queensland where I do have family but they are ok for the moment. Being summer it is usually bushfires knocking us around but the floods are worse in a lot of ways cause there is nothing you can do. I am praying for everyone up there too! Thanks for your thoughts.
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 03 Jan 2011, 00:11

Just keep safe Dex and I hope your family fares well too!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 03 Jan 2011, 10:23

Thanks Sis and Dexterdidit..glad to hear that......the weather all over the place has been weird these last few months.....
Merlin
Merlin
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Tue 04 Jan 2011, 03:56

It was snowing in LA early this morning, around 5-ish. That explains why I could see my breathe when I was sitting at my desk last night (I dont have heat)
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 04 Jan 2011, 09:41

no heat????
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Thu 06 Jan 2011, 01:18

nope - no heat. no hot water, no stove - cant afford gas
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 06 Jan 2011, 01:22

Ohmy.... hope everything could be fixed soon
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Thu 06 Jan 2011, 01:38

I keep thinking summer's comin!
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Thu 06 Jan 2011, 03:18

Uh, maybe 5 months til warmish weather starts. Get the campfire going! I'm just teasing Deb. I hope things work out for you, seriously! I love you
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down