George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
George Clooney Interview LA Times Magazine Dec 2011 EmptyYesterday at 22:11 by Ida

»  George filming new film in UK
George Clooney Interview LA Times Magazine Dec 2011 EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney Interview LA Times Magazine Dec 2011 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney Interview LA Times Magazine Dec 2011 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney Interview LA Times Magazine Dec 2011 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney Interview LA Times Magazine Dec 2011 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney Interview LA Times Magazine Dec 2011 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney Interview LA Times Magazine Dec 2011 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney Interview LA Times Magazine Dec 2011 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney Interview LA Times Magazine Dec 2011

+11
MyGirlKylie
Katiedot
lolo"layla"
cindigirl
lelacorb
zizi
m4rose
Casey
Cinderella
it's me
Missa
15 posters

Go down

George Clooney Interview LA Times Magazine Dec 2011 Empty George Clooney Interview LA Times Magazine Dec 2011

Post by Missa Fri 02 Dec 2011, 00:19

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I Spy:

Inspiration knows no geographical limits. At the finish of a long day in the middle of nowhere, it was time to forget the world’s troubles and unwind underneath Africa’s vast evening sky. But George Clooney, after visiting a new school in genocide-ravaged South Sudan, wasn’t quite ready to let everything go.

He and human-rights activist John Prendergast walked out of their mud huts and lay down in the sand. Millions of stars jammed the heavens, and as Clooney gazed at the distant constellations, he said, pointing skyward, “There’s a satellite up there that’s looking at my house right now. You can Google Earth me, but you can’t watch these [warlords]. Why not?”

“Well, because it’s spying,” Prendergast replied.

“It’s not spying on me,” Clooney continued. “It’s spying if it’s a country. It’s spying if it’s the United Nations, maybe. But what if I’m a paparazzo with a lens 400 miles up? How is that spying? I’m just a tourist taking pictures and putting it on the Web. I don’t understand where that’s wrong.”

Prendergast paused for a moment and then guessed at what Clooney was proposing. “You know, you might be able to get away with that.”

In the weeks after he returned to the United States in late 2010, Clooney did just that, meeting with execs at Google and the satellite company DigitalGlobe, which gave millions in free imagery. Backed by data from the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative and field reports from Prendergast’s Enough Project in Sudan, that late-night chat between Clooney and Prendergast became in months the Satellite Sentinel Project, which deploys commercial satellite technology to track actual and potential human-rights violations in nearly real time.

And Clooney wanted more than to form the initiative—he was determined to bankroll its $2 million annual budget, even if it meant exploiting his celebrity. The mission is supported by Clooney’s Not on Our Watch—cofounded with A-list pals Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, Don Cheadle and Jerry Weintraub—and Enough.

Clooney recently rubbed shoulders at a conference of independent brokers and investors in Hong Kong. Rather than plow the $550,000 appearance fee into upkeep at his Lake Como villa, the actor had the check sent to SSP. “I’m doing another one in Australia in December for another good speaking fee. I go there, and we talk about whatever they want. They talk about movies...I don’t care. But the money goes directly [to SSP], so to me that’s a good way of playing.”

And Clooney’s eye in the sky is yielding results. In August, SSP data showed evidence of mass graves, and in mid October, it determined Sudan’s Central Reserve Police had committed war crimes near a U.N. compound. Clooney is now the ultimate celebrity photographer, except his lenses are focused not on red carpets but on distant atrocities.

Stars like to think they’re making a difference. But sometimes the very attention they bring to an issue can be as much a PR asset as a Who do they think they are? liability. On the same day 50-year-old Clooney—who this season directed, produced, co-wrote and stars in The Ides of March and anchors the cast of The Descendants—was discussing his humanitarian work, Hilary Swank was apologizing (and donating her reported six-figure fee to charity) for attending the 35th birthday celebration of infamous Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov.

“The one thing I learned from Bono early on,” Clooney says of U2’s frontman, “was you have to pick [a cause] you specifically want to work on, and you have to really engage. You have to be more knowledgeable than most reporters would be on it, so that when they try to make you sound stupid because you’re just an actor...you go, ‘Well, I can name all the rebel leaders, and I have [their numbers] on my phone.’ Which is funny to see those guys having phones in the middle of nowhere. You have to first and foremost be able to put yourself in a position where you understand, because when you first get in, you always make mistakes—everyone does. The mistakes of trying to help often-times cause great amounts of pain. Advocacy is a really important thing, but advocacy can also be very dangerous.”

The work grows even more complicated, Clooney adds, when you move past advocacy toward diplomacy, as he has done with the atrocities in Darfur, addressing the United Nations Security Council in 2006: “I’m here to represent the voices of people who cannot speak for themselves,” he matter-of-factly said of the people displaced, terrorized and killed by the region’s civil war. “My job is to come here today and beg you on behalf of the millions of people who will die...This genocide will be on your watch. How you deal with it will be your legacy—your Rwanda, your Cambodia, your Auschwitz.”

On Darfur, Clooney can speak freely, and because he’s the most prominent star of his generation, people pay attention. He first traveled to the east African region with his father some six years ago. Nick Clooney had been seeking a celebrity to help bring the region’s brutality to public notice. As an L.A. broadcaster in the 1980s, the elder Clooney was forever having his hard-news stories preempted by trifling showbiz bulletins. “So,” the younger Clooney told his father, “I said, ‘Let’s go there. You be the reporter, and I’ll be Liz Taylor, and that way we don’t get bumped.’ ”

Before long, the actor was enmeshed in Sudanese politics and collaborating with Prendergast—and people who had never heard about the Sudan were calling their legislators and opening their wallets. For an actor whose ascendance to the A-list was accelerated by 1997’s nuclear thriller The Peacemaker, it was a fitting full-circle turn. “He wants to be sure that whatever he invests his time in is really going to make a difference,” Prendergast says of Clooney. “And to do that, you really have to do the work, to get to the bottom of the issue and then figure out what you can do—the new thing that can shake it up.”

Navigating global politics can be nearly as perilous as growing older in the movie business, where even people in their late thirties are considered on the downward angle of viability. Clooney has navigated those transitional years with aplomb, both sensing the wagers worth making (starring in the dark art film The American, joining with first-time filmmaker Tony Gilroy for Michael Clayton, scoring an Oscar with unproven director Stephen Gaghan in Syriana) and avoiding bad bets (recently taking himself out of consideration for a remake of The Man from U.N.C.L.E., saying he’s too old for the part). While there have been a few washouts, including directing and starring in 2008’s attempted screwball comedy Leatherheads, Clooney’s misfires have been few and far between.

As Gov. Mike Morris in the political thriller Ides of March, Clooney and longtime collaborator Grant Heslov purposefully twisted assumptions about the actor. The unashamedly left-wing presidential candidate stakes out positions—eliminating internal-combustion engines, supporting gay marriage, abolishing the death penalty—partially informed by Clooney’s father, who once ran for Congress in Kentucky. While at first glance he appears to be a nearly flawless progressive, his Morris is as imperfect and compromised as any other politician.

If moviegoers nevertheless swoon for Clooney as a candidate, they should know his campaigning is onscreen only, despite frequent suggestions that he run for California governor. “I’m not getting in politics,” he says. “I have no interest—because of the compromises you have to make.” Don’t look for Clooney to turn his film projects into political agitprop, either. “I’m not a big believer,” partner Heslov says, “in finding a cause and making a movie about it.”

Clooney has been directed by some of the most distinguished filmmakers going—Steven Soderbergh, Jason Reitman, Joel and Ethan Coen, Alexander Payne and Alfonso Cuarón (maker of next year’s space-set thriller Gravity, in which Clooney plays opposite Sandra Bullock). Rather than simply take direction all these years, he’s constantly taking notes, trying to grow behind the camera as well as in front of it. A student of the world, he’s also a student of Hollywood. “I’m less and less interested in seeing myself onscreen, honestly,” Clooney says. “I feel like I’ve done a lot of stuff [as an actor]. I really haven’t done that as a director. Directing is infinitely more creative, and writing is more fun.”

But as Clooney continues to aim his film camera on soundstages, his wider lens will keep orbiting the skies over eastern Africa—inspecting, waiting, keeping watch.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

George Clooney Interview LA Times Magazine Dec 2011 Empty Re: George Clooney Interview LA Times Magazine Dec 2011

Post by Missa Fri 02 Dec 2011, 00:26

And the pics:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In 2006, in a trip to a Darfur refugee camp

After his U.N. Security Council address

Meeting with village elders in Sudan

Celebrating southern Sudan’s inaugural voting day with Prendergast, Jimmy Carter and former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan last January.

And, finally, I think we can all agree it's difficult to make George look undesirable. This suit is GOOD at it. From the cover:

Last edited by Missa on Fri 02 Dec 2011, 00:32; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added cover photo)
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

George Clooney Interview LA Times Magazine Dec 2011 Empty Re: George Clooney Interview LA Times Magazine Dec 2011

Post by it's me Fri 02 Dec 2011, 00:33

number one
is
an amazingly good shot

Very Happy
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinderella Fri 02 Dec 2011, 00:33

Great article! Thank you for posting, Missa!
Cinderella
Cinderella
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 02 Dec 2011, 00:35

waitwaitwait
isn't there a better quality cover's pic?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Fri 02 Dec 2011, 01:34

Don't like the suit, but wow, does he look tanned in the first and last pics. Too tanned.

Casey
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Fri 02 Dec 2011, 02:21

it's me wrote:waitwaitwait
isn't there a better quality cover's pic?

There's a bigger one, but I don't know if I'd say it's better:

I can't put my finger on it, but something about this one just looks...off to me. I call Photoshop on this one.

That first picture, on the other hand, will now be my laptop screensaver, my cell phone wall paper, and possibly hang on the ceiling of my bedroom. Love7
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by m4rose Fri 02 Dec 2011, 03:11

I think it looks weird because he is almost the same color as his suit.
m4rose
m4rose
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by zizi Fri 02 Dec 2011, 03:20

m4rose wrote:I think it looks weird because he is almost the same color as his suit.
I think you are right. I like the first pic. Superdupercool

zizi
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 02 Dec 2011, 08:28

finally something DIFFERENT!

I like all of them
photoshopped but, who cares?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Fri 02 Dec 2011, 13:03

Finally a great interview! My only fear is the risk that he runs his humanitarian work when it becomes so personal. Omar El Bashir is a thug, I hope you continue to help the Sudan, but he must stay away from that dangerous ground .... I read in some magazine that said George EL Bashir of the Sudan because they could not care to risk his life .
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 02 Dec 2011, 13:13

I read in some magazine that

said George:
EL Bashir of the Sudan

because they could not care to risk his life .

they who?
I don't understand

it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Fri 02 Dec 2011, 13:51

George in a grey plaid suit? Hahahaha.

I like his "snarky" expression but the suit definitely has to go. Doh!
Where is Armani??????
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by lolo"layla" Fri 02 Dec 2011, 14:33

someone say comment about it , i can't find the words!
thanks a lot Missa.

lolo"layla"
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Fri 02 Dec 2011, 15:02

it's me wrote:I read in some magazine that

said George:
EL Bashir of the Sudan

because they could not care to risk his life .

they who?
I don't understand

In an article I read long ago it was written that Omar El Bashir has warned George not to deal with because most of Sudan would risk his life. This was before the independence of Sudan, but Sus Bashir is a criminal.

lelacorb
lelacorb

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 02 Dec 2011, 15:10

Finally I've thought of a word to describe that suit he's wearing on the cover: hideous.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MyGirlKylie Fri 02 Dec 2011, 15:46

Katiedot wrote:Finally I've thought of a word to describe that suit he's wearing on the cover: hideous.

lol!

I'm glad you said that because I truly have no words for that suit. Who the hell was stylist on this photo shoot? LoL

That first pic...Hubba Hubba... super cool
MyGirlKylie
MyGirlKylie

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Fri 02 Dec 2011, 16:02

lolo wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

someone say comment about it , i can't find the words!
thanks a lot Missa.

How about peek-a-boo!!!
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Fri 02 Dec 2011, 16:06

Love the turtle neck< how it emphasizing those beautiful eyes and long thick lashes. What I like about the suit is his inside thigh!
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Fri 02 Dec 2011, 16:09

Oh lucy, you are a naughty girl. Welcome to my club. LOL
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Fri 02 Dec 2011, 16:10

MyGirlKylie wrote:
Katiedot wrote:Finally I've thought of a word to describe that suit he's wearing on the cover: hideous.

lol!

I'm glad you said that because I truly have no words for that suit. Who the hell was stylist on this photo shoot? LoL

That first pic...Hubba Hubba... super cool
It's sure this isn't an Armani dress
lelacorb
lelacorb

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 02 Dec 2011, 16:12

MyGirlKylie wrote:I'm glad you said that because I truly have no words for that suit. Who the hell was stylist on this photo shoot? LoL
Stacy?!

No, seriously, what I think they were trying to do was hark back to the golden age of the 60s so they put him in a 60s influenced suit, then gave it a colourised black and white look.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinderella Fri 02 Dec 2011, 18:41

lucy wrote:Love the turtle neck< how it emphasizing those beautiful eyes and long thick lashes. What I like about the suit is his inside thigh!

Wow.... Lucy, you made me go back up for another look! Shocked I didn't see that before... Laughing
Cinderella
Cinderella

Back to top Go down

Post by lolo"layla" Fri 02 Dec 2011, 20:25

lucy ,u are NAUGHTY ,lol. the suite is exactly his hair colors .

@cindigirl ,right like "where's the baby" was in Ice age movie .i

Last edited by lolo on Sat 03 Dec 2011, 00:07; edited 1 time in total

lolo"layla"
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by MyGirlKylie Fri 02 Dec 2011, 21:25

lucy wrote:What I like about the suit is his inside thigh!

Yeah Right

I had to read that twice. The first time I thought you said what you liked about his suit was what was inside. I was going to give you an Amen & Hallelujah. lol
MyGirlKylie
MyGirlKylie

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Fri 02 Dec 2011, 23:31

He has a $550,000 appearance fee. Well that puts Stacy's $25,000 into context.
watching
watching

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 02 Dec 2011, 23:55

do you mean that I would have to pay some good $550,000 for one appearance of him?

it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 03 Dec 2011, 00:04

that grey plaid suit was for fun
and I like it very much

then the peek-a-boo one makes me want to....... silent
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 03 Dec 2011, 00:05

thanks lelacorb for youe expl
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by MyGirlKylie Sat 03 Dec 2011, 00:16

watching wrote:He has a $550,000 appearance fee. Well that puts Stacy's $25,000 into context.

Wonder what kind of terms you could slip into the contract for said appearance? Twisted Evil
Anyone have $550,000 laying around that I could borrow? I'll be sure to report back to all my COH peeps with all the sordid details. Wink
MyGirlKylie
MyGirlKylie

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Sat 03 Dec 2011, 00:25

I think we should all chip in and then hold a lottery. I want the winning ticket. Wheee!
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 03 Dec 2011, 07:24

ohhh this winning ticket ! Rolling Eyes
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by sadDonkey Sat 03 Dec 2011, 11:10

@Missa:thank you for the article and pics

Even when he dies at 50...
he lived his life.
He didn't waste it.
He lived more than several 80 yr olds together

Gone to heaven

sadDonkey
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Location : Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, Europe, ...

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 03 Dec 2011, 13:18

hey... stop it
pl
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down