George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George in Tuscany
George Clooney's a reluctant Oscar candidate EmptyYesterday at 20:45 by benex

» The Good News
George Clooney's a reluctant Oscar candidate EmptyWed May 15 2024, 19:19 by annemariew

» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
George Clooney's a reluctant Oscar candidate EmptyMon May 13 2024, 20:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
George Clooney's a reluctant Oscar candidate EmptyMon May 13 2024, 03:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
George Clooney's a reluctant Oscar candidate EmptySat May 11 2024, 02:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney's a reluctant Oscar candidate EmptyWed Apr 17 2024, 04:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney's a reluctant Oscar candidate EmptyWed Apr 17 2024, 04:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney's a reluctant Oscar candidate EmptyFri Apr 12 2024, 19:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney's a reluctant Oscar candidate EmptyFri Apr 05 2024, 02:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney's a reluctant Oscar candidate

+7
blubelle
LornaDoone
it's me
lelacorb
lolo"layla"
cindigirl
Katiedot
11 posters

Go down

George Clooney's a reluctant Oscar candidate Empty George Clooney's a reluctant Oscar candidate

Post by Katiedot Mon Nov 28 2011, 16:40

From Dose.ca

Clooney's a Reluctant Oscar Candidate

Bob Thompson, Postmedia News

November 25, 2011

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sometimes, nice-guy multimillionaires do finish first.

Yet in the recent issue of Rolling Stone magazine, Hollywood superstar George Clooney said he thought about suicide after a stunt in 2005's Syriana put him in hospital, in great pain from a spinal injury.

Lots of recovery time later, Clooney's name will likely come up when the Oscar nominations are announced on Jan. 24.

The 50-year-old has already received an anointing for his political thriller, The Ides of March. It opened last month to predictions he's in line to pick up a director nod, and maybe nominations for co-writing the screenplay and co-starring as the U.S. presidential candidate hiding a secret.

The Descendants, opening later this month, is another movie likely to put him in the running for best actor.

In the Alexander Payne-directed comedy-drama based on the Kaui Hart Hemmings' 2007 novel, Clooney plays the grieving Matt Hill. He's a Hawaiian real-estate mogul struggling with the reality that his wife Elizabeth has lapsed into a coma after a water-skiing accident.

As he prepares to take her off of life support, he tries to reunite with his daughters, the precocious 10-year-old Scottie (Amara Miller), and the rebellious teen Alex (Shailene Woodley). While he copes, his grieving is interrupted when he discovers his wife might have been having an affair just before she died.

As usual, Payne's latest movie (2004's Sideways was his last effort) is a mix of wry humour and sadness, which Clooney seems to embrace with ease and grace.

The only thing The Ides of March and The Descendants have in common is that the separate projects were each delayed a few years. Clooney held back on filming The Ides of March because the cynical tone didn't seem quite right a few years ago.

And Payne's movie stalled until Clooney would commit. Payne had been out of the Hollywood loop for more than seven years after his Oscar-honoured Sideways and About Schmidt put him on the A-list.

Both films might also share an undercurrent of cynicism, though Clooney insisted the subtext is a coincidence, not a reflection of our times.

"I think you have to remember that films don't lead the way," he said. "People always want to think that films are somehow trying to lead or reflect our society."

In The Descendants, there's no denying that the childless actor is convincing as an out-of-touch father. With equal amounts of bafflement and bemusement, he struggles to re-acquaint himself with his estranged daughters.

A 10-day pre-shoot rehearsal in Hawaii helped forge the bond and develop the father role.

"I had these girls with me," said Clooney during an interview to promote The Descendants. "And it really was like having kids. But I got to give them away at the end of the day."

Typically, Clooney refused to take all the credit. He praised Payne, who also co-wrote the screenplay, and his two co-stars just starting out in the business.

Miller makes her movie debut in The Descendants, but you would never know it. And Woodley, who's best known as Amy Juergens in the series, The Secret Life of an American Teenager, is also receiving Oscar buzz for her acting.

"And I do want to point out that (Woodley) does cry underwater and I've never seen that before," said Clooney. "That's a real talent."

The actor and filmmaker deflected any Oscar talk, downplaying his father performance despite his lack of experience in the field.

"I don't think you have to shoot heroin to play a heroin addict, and most people are not running for president, but I played a candidate (in The Ides of March)."

What about the potential Oscar nods this awards season?

Again, he gets cagey. Maybe it's because the experience isn't new to him. He won the best supporting actor Oscar for his role in Syriana, and got a best-actor nomination for 2007's Michael Clayton and 2009's Up in the Air.

"I've won an award once, so when I die, they can say 'Oscar winner,'" he said. "And it's a great sort of thing to have on the tombstone."

His point is this: "I really appreciate it when people enjoy the work, but I really don't have this dying need to collect things."
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

George Clooney's a reluctant Oscar candidate Empty Re: George Clooney's a reluctant Oscar candidate

Post by cindigirl Mon Nov 28 2011, 16:48

I've been following him for a couple of years and think I can understand his thinking. IMO if he seems to be a reluctant Oscar candidate it's because he's setting himself up for possible failure. It seems to be his usual trait of making fun of himself before anyone else can. A defense mechanism. Just my opinion girls.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney's a reluctant Oscar candidate Empty Re: George Clooney's a reluctant Oscar candidate

Post by lolo"layla" Mon Nov 28 2011, 22:03

my flu affect me ,wrong thread Very Happy

Last edited by lolo on Mon Nov 28 2011, 22:24; edited 2 times in total

lolo"layla"
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Mon Nov 28 2011, 22:10

You can not not be changed tshirt !!!!!!! You can not!
I understand that the t-shirt Grand Prix of Monaco is one of his favorites, but with the heat that is in Cabo ..... George!
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Mon Nov 28 2011, 22:11

I understand that the t-shirt Grand Prix of Monaco is one of his favorites, but with the heat that is in Cabo ..... George!
lelacorb
lelacorb

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Mon Nov 28 2011, 22:16

lelacorb
lelacorb

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon Nov 28 2011, 23:01

Grand Prix of Monaco

bah! Beaten
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue Nov 29 2011, 15:37

George Clooney a "reluctant Oscar candidate" cough bullshit cough

Brahahahahaha - just amusing myself here folks! Very Happy
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Tue Nov 29 2011, 21:18

Why not look like what they want. Oscar of 2010 seemed pissed off because he knew he would not win, Ogi want to do what he does not care ....... The truth is that it would give a gift to the highest bidder his ass right in order to win an Oscar for directed or as the best actor ..................... George I preferred more sincere!
I wish that you win in memory of the good old days when you were the truest and most sincere
lelacorb
lelacorb

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue Nov 29 2011, 21:46

Ogi

chi è?
who is?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Tue Nov 29 2011, 21:50

The ghost of himself
lelacorb
lelacorb

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue Nov 29 2011, 21:53

hufff

non so più che dire

dunno what to say
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Wed Nov 30 2011, 01:21

Brad Pitt just won the NY Critics award for best actor. He won for two films, Money Ball and another the name of which escapes me. One gossip site now says he is on track to win it all. Hmmm - might get interesting.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Wed Nov 30 2011, 01:43

I think this is the article you're referencing blubelle, from Celebitchy:

Is Brad Pitt the Leading Contender for Best Actor Oscar?

...Well, the critics awards have begun to come out, and Brad is starting to get more of a boost. Tree of Life just tied for Best Picture at the Gotham Awards, and just a few hours ago, The New York Film Critics Circle announced their awards for 2011. Brad takes Best Actor for both Tree of Life AND Moneyball. Sidenote: Meryl Streep won Best Actress for The Iron Lady and Jessica Chastain won Best Supporting for all of her 20 million roles this year.

While I think Brad is definitely going to be nominated for many of the big awards, I do have some questions. First, which film will he be nominated for? Tree of Life as the art-house favorite, or Moneyball as the film that people have actually seen? He was the lead actor in both films, and Academy rules stipulate that Brad could not be nominated twice in the same category. So which would it be?

Also – who will Brad be up against? Michael Fassbender for Shame or A Dangerous Method? Fassie has the same problem as Brad – two potentially lead-nomination-worthy performances in the same year, although I think it’s clear that the studio will be making a bigger push for Shame rather than Method. So, who else? Gary Oldman for Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy – maybe. George Clooney for The Descendents. Maybe Leonardo for J. Edgar, but meh. There are other names being thrown around, of course, but I’m starting to get a weird feeling… the same weird feeling when I realized that Colin Firth was in the perfect position to win the Oscar during the last awards season. Is it Brad’s year to win?!? (end quote)

This seems strangely like what has happened to George each time he's been nominated for Best Actor - conventional wisdom says it's his to lose for weeks going in to award season, but once the trophies are actually being handed out, someone comes out of nowhere and starts filling up his own mantle. Granted, Brad has been tossed around as a possible nominee, but I never thought he'd take home any of these awards, especially with such a strong field.

So here's my question: why do you think this keeps happening to George? I can't think of another actor who has had that same experience twice (and possibly now three times). For all the talk about how well George "plays the Hollywood game", and how these relationships are PR to help during award season, the Academy has continually awarded people who are known for NOT playing the Hollywood game and for actually keeping their private lives PRIVATE (Colin Firth, Jeff Bridges, Daniel Day-Lewis, Philip Seymour Hoffman). It seems like this would support those of us who feel that George has really been shooting himself in the foot with his nonsense the last few years, rather than just letting the work speak for itself.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by zizi Wed Nov 30 2011, 02:42

Thanks Missa, I really hope that G. will win. TD is a great movie and so is his acting. But I am afraid that you could be right. Everybody knows about politics and games which are played in Hollywood. We can have few theories: he has a really bad luck in the last few years, he doesn't care " about collecting trophies", he prefers to lead his private life the way he does not giving s**t, if it will damage his reputation or his PR sucks. Has somebody got other ideas???

zizi
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Wed Nov 30 2011, 03:20

Lainey is talking about it too -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For the critics in New York, The Artist was the most outstanding film of the year. And its director Michel Hazanavicius the Best Director. But for Best Actor? They went with Brad Pitt over the star of The Artist, Jean Dujardin. Brad was recognised for his work in both Moneyball and The Tree of Life. Given how much they loved The Artist though, isn’t it intriguing that they chose Pitt over Dujardin?

If today’s selections from the NYFCC are any indication, with screenplay going to Moneyball too, Moneyball and The Artist are moving well ahead to secure 2 of the Best Picture nomination spots while The Descendants, which everyone was jizzing over, was totally shut out.

Rest of article at link.

sisieq
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Wed Nov 30 2011, 04:32

From what I hear Tree of Life is a fucking mess - no one seems to be able to understand what the hell the film is about. Which seems par for course for Terrence Malick.

I have the same thought about David Mamet films. Don't get the hype about him, don't understand his films, don't understand why every actor in the industry seems to think that being in one of his films will "make" or enhance their careers. JMO

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by sadDonkey Wed Nov 30 2011, 15:38

LornaDoone wrote:From what I hear Tree of Life is a fucking mess - no one seems to be able to understand what the hell the film is about.
Tree of Life is a masterpiece.

Actually it is not possible to compare it with other movies. I was very disappointed when a renowned newspaper compared Tree of Life with Lars von Trier's Melancholia. Just because of an out of space scene! The journalist didn't get it either. Yes both are artfilms, but that's about it.

Three persons left the cinema during the movie. Immediately after the film, almost all jumped out of their seats and went with a headshaking. Only few stayed in their seats until the end of the credits. These few were the ones who got the message and were fascinated.

The key to the movie is the quote in the very beginning. If you want to understand the movie, you should read the story of Job and God. This movie is also made for people like me, who have no interest in religion. Just take out the very last scene.
For some it is creation, for some it is evolution. You can interpret so much in this film...

I don't think Brad Pitt deserves an Oscar for his role in Tree of Life, because he is not carrying/leading this film. He is just one character in a complex story.

I can't see The Descendants before January 26 , but I am sure George would deserve the Oscar more than Brad.

sadDonkey
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Location : Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, Europe, ...

Back to top Go down

Post by zizi Wed Nov 30 2011, 19:57

Thanks SD, for your info., I didn't see it yet, but after your comment I will.

zizi
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by sadDonkey Wed Nov 30 2011, 20:20

You are welcome, Zizi. If you like to philosophize about the meaning of life and death, you definitely should. Malick tries to explain the concept of divine or in my case nature's concept

sadDonkey
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Location : Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, Europe, ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum