George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Family News EmptyWed 08 May 2024, 22:11 by Ida

»  George filming new film in UK
Family News EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Family News EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Family News EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Family News EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Family News EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Family News EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Family News EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Family News EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Family News

+16
pandabear
MM
pattygirl
lucy
Ello
cindigirl
blubelle
Atalante
Dexterdidit
it's me
Katiedot
PigLove
sisieq
melbert
Admin
Merlin
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Family News Empty Family News

Post by Merlin Sat 18 Dec 2010, 08:25

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ADA ZEIDLER WILL REPRESENT CLOONEY FAMILY
DiPaolo unable to serve as parade grand marshal

AUGUSTA -- A fall has changed plans for Augusta's 3rd annual White Christmas parade.
Dante DiPaolo, husband of the late Rosemary Clooney fell earlier this week in California and will not be able to attend as grand marshal of the parade Dec. 18, family members said.
Representing the family, in DiPaolo's place, will be Clooney's niece and sister of actor George Clooney, Ada Zeidler.
"She was named Adelia, after her great-grandmother, but goes by Ada," said Nick Clooney, Zeidler's father.
Zeidler, following the death of her husband, artist Norman Zeidler in 2004, has been a full time mother to their children Allison and "little" Nick, Clooney said.
DiPaolo, 84, received heavy bruising as a result of his fall and is recuperating, Clooney said.
Zeidler is a graduate of Augusta High School and attended college in Louisville and Northern Kentucky; she is a year older than her brother, Clooney said.
"I believe little Nick will be attending the parade, too," Clooney said.
According to parade coordinators, recent snows have only enhanced the look of the parade and all other plans for Dec. 18 are still in place.
"The road crews have done a great job," said Jackie Hopkins, Augusta Rotary member.
In addition to Augusta shops being open throughout the day, activities will include a Christmas Journey tour of churches on board the Augusta Trolley, holiday blood drive, Gingerbread House and Elf contests at the firehall, Augusta Art Guild Holiday Art Show, chili cook-off, petting zoo, wine tasting at Baker-Bird Winery and live music.
The parade begins at 6 p.m. on Main Street; following the parade, Santa Claus will listen to all of the children's wish lists at the firehall and the Augusta Rotary will pass out free treat bags to all of the children.
The White Christmas parade is sponsored by the Augusta Rotary Club and the City of Augusta.
For parade details visit [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Merlin
Merlin
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Family News Empty Re: Family News

Post by Admin Sat 18 Dec 2010, 09:21

Was it really six years ago that Ada's husband died? Gosh, time goes by.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 18 Dec 2010, 12:23

I'm glad to see Ada do this. Nick and Nina could have, but with Ada and little Nick participating - WOW! You go girlfriend! santa
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 18 Dec 2010, 12:45

A recent pic of Ada and Young Nick (looking exactly like Old Nick and Old George LOL)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 18 Dec 2010, 12:56

I love this one of Nicky with his "george boots" on!!!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Sat 18 Dec 2010, 14:39

melbert wrote:I love this one of Nicky with his "george boots" on!!!

LOL, first thing I noticed, too. Very Happy

Looking forward to seeing photos, if available!

sisieq
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 18 Dec 2010, 17:06

Yes,,,,he's got big feet for a skinny boy LOL....And it looks like it's snowing in Augusta and none of them are wearing jackets LOL
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sun 16 Jan 2011, 19:41

Mary Wilson, Pops give folks fun night of '60s

Mary Wilson admitted that she was “one of the girls behind Diana Ross singing the oohs and ahs and baby babies” when she was one of the original Supremes. On Saturday in Music Hall, she sang a hit parade of songs that many in the audience knew, word for word. And no one seemed to mind that her voice, unlike Diana’s, was husky, or that she often strained to reach a high note.

The Cincinnati Pops show was a flashback to the ‘60s, with Wilson providing about an hour of Motown hits from the heyday of the Supremes, paired with classic standards such as “Body and Soul.” Complementing her show, guest conductor Matt Catingub opened the evening with other music of the era, including the Beatles, Herb Alpert and a fantastic medley of ‘60s TV theme songs.

Wilson looked the diva in a long black sequined gown, as she came out to a medley of “I Hear a Symphony,” “Love Child” “My World is Empty” and “Reflections.” Backed by her own band, two back-up singers and the Pops (which played about half of her set), she strolled the stage, chatted between numbers (she’ll be 67 in March, she’s on her way to Russia and she has eight grandchildren) and once invited people to come up and dance. (Two did.)

There’s no doubt that she owns this music – after all, she’s been singing it for 50 years, since Motown signed her at age 16. What fun it was to see her singing “Baby Love,” “Stop! In the Name of Love,” and “You Keep Me Hangin’ On,” while audience members clapped and swayed.

Vocally, she seemed most comfortable in a set of ballads more suited to her range. Her voice was smoky and warm in “Here’s to Life,” and she communicated its lyrics with style. She gave a nod to Sting in “Fields of Gold,” and to Joni Mitchell in a dreamy arrangement of “Both Sides Now.”

She was touchy about the movie “Dreamgirls,” saying, “It’s not about the Supremes” and joking that “I didn’t get paid.” But she said Jennifer Hudson’s character representing Florence Ballard rang true. To her friend Ballard, who died in 1976, Wilson dedicated a song from the film,” I Am Changing,” delivering her most emotional performance of the evening.

The crowd was on its feet as she concluded with “Someday We’ll Be Together,” the No. 1 hit of 1969.

Catingub, who is pops conductor of the Honolulu and New Mexico symphonies, is also a talented arranger who worked with Rosemary Clooney and conducted her last concert in 2002. (His longtime friends Nick and Nina Clooney were in the audience on Saturday.) His sophisticated arrangements were a joy to hear, and he projected an engaging personality. The Pops musicians burned up the stage in the opening “American Bandstand” theme. Two Beatles tunes, “Penny Lane” and “Eleanor Rigby” (arranged by John Bayless) had inventive twists. And Catingub’s ‘60s TV medley was a fun pop quiz for listeners.
Catingub ended his set with a swinging “Theme from 2001.”

The Cincinnati Pops repeats at 3 p.m. Sunday in Music Hall. Tickets: 513-381-3300,
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 27 Jan 2011, 19:45

Rather screening film at Newseum

Dan Rather is the next media personality on deck for the Newseum's Reel Journalism series. On March 1, Rather will join host Nick Clooney for a screening of "The Insider," a film based on the real life story of Jeffrey Wigand, a former tobacco executive who decided to appear on "60 Minutes" to reveal unethical practices within the industry. As a former "60 Minutes" correspondent, Rather might have some insights to share about the news program and reveal what he's been up to since he left the top spot at "CBS Evening News" in 2005. The general public can purchase tickets for $15.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 27 Jan 2011, 19:46

Little piece from Nick when he joined the University....

The 3-Minute Interview: Nick Clooney

Special To The Examiner
Nick Clooney is a journalist and former politician from Kentucky. He joined the American University faculty this fall as its School of Communication and Newseum distinguished journalist in residence, and is teaching opinion writing in the fall semester and a film class in the spring.

Why did you become a journalist?

In the interest of full disclosure, I’m very old. Going back to the time I was a little boy, during World War II, listening to the voices coming over the radio, it seemed to me that they were almost godlike. … I never aspired to be as good as they, but I hoped to be in their shadow. I started when I was 16.

Have you ever taught a class before?

No, I’ve lectured to them, but never taught one on my own. … My palms are clammy as we talk about it.

Why did you decide to teach opinion writing, as opposed to, say, news or broadcast journalism?

I thought it would be important to teach them that anyone can post on a blog, but you have to earn the right to an opinion. As Daniel Patrick Moynihan said, “We all have a right to our opinions but not to our facts.” Every opinion has to be based on fact and you have to cite that fact.

What else are you trying to teach your students?

I’m going to try to let the young people know that technology is marvelous, but the technology is not the message. The message never changes: Your duty is to get to the center of the story and tell the truth as best you can. That’s your job.

Is it obnoxious to ask you what it’s like to be George Clooney’s father?

It’s not obnoxious at all. I’m very proud to be George Clooney’s father, but I don’t quite know how to answer the question because I’ve never not been his father since he was born. … I grew up as the brother of one of the best-known singers of the ’40s and ’50s, Rosemary Clooney, so I have basic training in being related to a famous person.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Fri 28 Jan 2011, 02:35

I I love you Nick Clooney!!!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by PigLove Fri 28 Jan 2011, 03:58

Ditto, Mel, as usual.

ALL RIGHT. Here's the plan. Send a letter kindly requesting that Nick start columnizing again (it's late and I'm making up words). Here's an address:

**HAD TO REMOVE IT. I'LL KEEP LOOKING FOR AN AGENT ADDRESS. SORRY!**

Use your best penmanship (or printer)! Smile

Last edited by PigLove on Fri 28 Jan 2011, 14:53; edited 1 time in total
PigLove
PigLove
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Fri 28 Jan 2011, 04:02

I already sent one! No response yet.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri 28 Jan 2011, 07:17

I wonder if Nina would do one.....
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 01 Feb 2011, 07:13

Nick Clooney: Teasing, humor and home keep us grounded

Still asking questions, having fun

Video at link

CINCINNATI - There's a lot of buzz around the Tri-State about George Clooney filming a new movie in the area.

Part of the interest is that we consider George a hometown boy, and we feel like we know the Clooney family, especially after years of watching his dad, Nick, on TV.

Recently I caught up with Nick at his home in Augusta, Ky., a home he clearly loves.

"We've got a little town here," he said. "We're just part of a little town. We're the Clooneys, you know, that live next door to the Hennesseys."

"I worked in Buffalo, Salt Lake City, New York City, Los Angeles, Lexington, Washington,...but my home is here."

Nick and Nina Clooney moved to Augusta in 1974. This is where George and his sister, Ada, went to high school.

Their house is jam-packed with books, pictures and memories of a full life.

Nick shows off a prized gift from George: A book signed by FDR. Then he points to one of George's favorite photos: Nick at the White House with President Ford, framed with a similar photo of George at the White House with President Obama.

Step into the Clooneys' bar and take a stroll down memory lane. It's papered from floor to ceiling with photos from all the incarnations of their life together and his career.

Moments like "The Nick Clooney Show" on WCPO in 1969.

In our archives, we still have the first show, when the guests were, guess who? Rosemary and Betty Clooney.

I asked Nick, "How do you balance things in a family when one person gets the lion's share of the attention?"

Nick said, "We were able to ground each other simply by needling each other relentlessly. So do George and I."

"Rosemary and Betty and I, we were Depression kids, we needed each other. We understood how temporary and fragile all these successes were and how quickly the worm can turn."

In the 70s, Nick switched from showbiz to journalism. Anchoring and reporting, he led Channel 12 to number one.

He recalls the stories he covered. "The Who concert, the Beverly Hills fire. I had never seen 165 dead people in one place. Ever. A very traumatic moment that stays with me to this moment."

For a man who considers himself primarily a reporter, Nick was thrilled to work with George on the documentary "A Journey to Darfur."

I asked him, "What was going through your mind as you set out on that journey?"

Nick: "I was about to cover the most important story of my career at age 72."

I said, "You're still doing really interesting things." And Nick replied, "Isn't that great?"

Still adding memories...

Still married to Nina after 51 years...

Nick: "She makes me laugh."

Nina: "And he makes me laugh."

And enjoying every minute of it.

Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 01 Feb 2011, 12:52

Nice interview. And here's the video:

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Tue 01 Feb 2011, 13:17

Thanks Merlin and Katie!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 05 Feb 2011, 12:57

Triumph Awards

Three local leaders were honored Wednesday night in the Emanuel Community Center Triumph Awards at the Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza’s Hall of Mirrors. The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra’s music director Paavo Järvi; Herb Brown, retired senior vice-president of Western and Southern Financial Group; and Ellen van der Horst, president of Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber, were recognized as Outstanding Cincinnatians

The event featured a cocktail hour, award ceremony, dinner, silent auction and everybody’s favorite keynote speaker, Nick Clooney.
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 05 Feb 2011, 13:04

bravo Nick !

but how about that Nina's book?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 05 Feb 2011, 13:05

Katiedot wrote:Nice interview. And here's the video:

how big is Spags Exclamation Exclamation
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Sun 06 Feb 2011, 05:09

That isn't Spags I think he must have gone to doggy heaven. Spags was a smaller black dog pretty sure he didn't colour! He would be really old Nick used to write stories about him years ago and dogs don't live forever.
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 06 Feb 2011, 09:09

oh......

so sad
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 14 Feb 2011, 15:30

This is old news from 2004 about the death of Ada's husband. I got confused by the way they called him son-in-law - finally figured out they meant Nick, not George!

From the enquirer

Wednesday, October 13, 2004
Norman Zeidler known as artist, loving father
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clooney's son-in-law was 47

By Chris Mayhew
Enquirer staff writer

PETERSBURG - Norman Monroe Zeidler carved his first pumpkin of the season Monday, the day he died from a heart attack. He was 47.

Mr. Zeidler was continuing a 14-year-tradition of carving at least 10 pumpkins for the Boone County's annual Jack-o'-lantern Contest and Walk.

His tradition began when he discovered that his wife, Adelia "Ada" Clooney Zeidler, was pregnant with the couple's first child, Allison.

"This was the first one he had done this year, a skull one with many teeth," his wife said. "I told him it looked like a very happy skull."

Mr. Zeigler considered himself foremost an artist, and worked other odd jobs to bring money into the house, his wife said.

He was most well known for his distinctive jack-o'-lanterns that were among hundreds that lined walkways in Central Park in Union each year.

"I'm going to try to get some preservatives and make sure it gets entered," his wife said.

Normally a painter of landscapes and castles, Mr. Zeidler carved all his pumpkins freehand, with no tracing.

"I get quite a reputation," Mr. Zeidler said in an October 2003 Enquirer article.

Liking the smooth surfaces of the black slate he found on the banks of the Ohio River near his home, he painted intricate paintings on them, his wife said.

A lover of nature, Mr. Ziegler also drew upon American Indian ancestry from his mother's side to make artworks out of beads, his wife said.

Mr. Ziegler enlisted in the Army in the early 1980s, and after spending two years as a soldier he enrolled at Northern Kentucky University. He then returned to spend eight years as an officer with the Indiana National Guard, retiring with the rank of captain.

At the time of his death, Mr. Ziegler was attending Southern Ohio Business College in the evenings, his wife said. He grew up in Latonia and Fort Mitchell, and was a graduate of Beechwood High School.

"More than anything I will remember him as a loving father to our children," his wife said. "He was a wonderful father. He really enjoyed being a father, being a daddy."

Mr. Zeidler was the son-in-law of TV personality Nick Clooney, who is running for Congress.

Other survivors include his daughter, Allison Zeidler of Petersburg; son, Nicholas Zeidler of Petersburg; parents, Elsie Moore and William Robert Zeidler of Petersburg; one sister, Debbie Bode of Fort Mitchell, and two nephews.

Visitation will be noon-2 p.m. with service following at 2 p.m. Thursday at Middendorf-Bullock Funeral home in Hebron. Burial will be in Petersburg Cemetery.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 14 Feb 2011, 15:47

I wonder if they're still living there, or have they moved to Augusta to be close to Nick and Nina? I know they showed up at the filming, but do they live close to Grandma and Grandpa now?
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 14 Feb 2011, 17:05

heartbreaking
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Mon 14 Feb 2011, 21:50

I remember reading in one of Nicks columns that Ada bought a farm but not in Augusta. The kids had their school and friends so packing them up to be close to Nick and Nina would have been cruel. They seem to visit each other a far bit and were very supportive of Nick when he ran for government.
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 14 Feb 2011, 22:01

Thanks Dex. I never had heard that.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 26 Mar 2011, 08:49

Jim Knippenberg To Be Honored
6:15 pm, Mar 18, 2011

My fellow journalists and UC are doing a cool thing for my longtime friend and colleague, Enquirer columnist/writer Jim Knippenberg. We’re starting a new Jim Knippenberg Society of Professional Journalists Scholarship Fund at the University of Cincinnati.

We’re launching the fund-raising April 4 at a party — Knip always loved a party! — at The Celestrial. When fully endowed, the fund will provide a $2,500 scholarship each year to a journalism student at UC, Knip’s alma mater and where he taught writing courses for 15 of his 37 years at The Enquirer. He retired from the paper in 2008, and died too young in 2009 at age 63.

Nick and Nina Clooney will host the event 5:30-8:30 p.m. Monday, April 4. A few of his friends and coworkers will say just a few words, but mostly it will be a big party. (Did I mention Knip liked to party?) The event is open to anyone. Tickets are available at four levels: Copy Boy, $50; Reporter, $100; Editor, $200; and Publisher, $500. To purchase tickets or donate, go to this link. Donations are tax deductible!

“This is great tribute to a beloved colleague,” said Alex Coolidge, Cincinnati SPJ chapter president. The scholarship effort was started by Knippenberg’s friends, colleagues and the SPJ chapter, which partnered with the UC Foundation to secure tax deductions for contributions to the fund. For more information call UC’s Robert Cardosi at 513-556-6435 or e-mail him here.

Knip was the best. During our careers here, he was my boss… I was his boss… then we were columnists/writers together. He knew everyone in town, and willingly shared tips with everyone at the paper. (His Rolodex is safely hidden away here at The Enquirer, one of our most valuable assets.) His stories were always fun to read … and he was even more fun to work with. Here’s what he wrote when he retired in 2008:

“It’s been a great ride. Is there another job in the world where your boss tells you to disappear for 10 days and ride every roller coaster in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana?… Or a year later to gas up my Sebring and go ride every water slide in the three states?”

Here’s the media release about the event:

Nick And Nina Clooney, Cincinnati Journalism Community

Host Launch Party For Jim Knippenberg UC Scholarship Fund

Monday, April 4, At The Celestial In Mount Adams

CINCINNATI, March 17, 2011 — It’s time to “clap it” for the late Jim Knippenberg, a reporter, editor and teacher who — more than anyone of his generation — cast a thoughtful and entertaining spotlight on Cincinnati, its many icons and idiosyncrasies.

Civic and thought leaders from across Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky will come together Monday, April 4, at The Celestial in Mount Adams to applaud Knip’s career and officially launch fund-raising for the newly created Jim Knippenberg Society of Professional Journalists Scholarship Fund at the University of Cincinnati.

When fully endowed, the fund will provide a $2,500 scholarship each year to a journalism student at UC, where Knippenberg studied and taught. He earned two degrees from UC: A bachelor’s degree in literature in 1968 and a master’s in education in 1971. He had taught a journalism course on reviews and columns at UC since the mid-’90s.

Knippenberg — a 1964 graduate of Elder High School — passed away Nov. 13, 2009, at the age of 63. In his 37 years at The Cincinnati Enquirer, he served many diverse roles with a thoughtful, positive and often quirky approach: copy boy (in the 1960s), general news reporter, music writer, entertainment writer, entertainment editor, assistant magazine editor, assistant features editor and gossip columnist.

Nick and Nina Clooney will host the event which will be highlighted by a silent video of photos of Knip produced by Jim Delaney of Sentimental Productions, stories by his friends and former colleagues, as well as music by Cincinnati song stylist Cybele. The event runs from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.

The scholarship cocktail party also will feature Celestial hors d’oeuvres, a cash bar and networking among some of Cincinnati’s most influential leaders and creative talents. The organizing committee includes: Mary Armor, Chair; Skip Allen, Rob Cardosi, Alex Coolidge, Nick and Nina Clooney, Jim Delaney, Jackie Demaline, Joe Fenton, Dianne Gebhardt-French, Dennis Hackett, Jon Hughes, Eileen Kelley, Patrick Korb, John Kiesewetter, Todd Margolis, Margaret McGurk, Ran Mullins, John Reiter, Chris Thomson and Howard Wilkinson.

Admission to the event can be purchased online at four news-making levels: Copy Boy, $50; Reporter, $100; Editor, $200; and Publisher, $500.00. Donations are tax-deductible. To purchase a ticket or donate, go to: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] More information is available to the public by emailing [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or calling Cardosi at 513.556.6435.

“When we brainstormed launching the scholarship fund in honor of Knip, we all agreed it had to be a party to remember,” said longtime friend Mary Armor. “After all, it wasn’t a true party in Cincinnati if Knip wasn’t in attendance with his notebook, taking down names that would show up in his column a few days later in bold print. He brought excitement and energy to every entertainment venue and countless cocktail parties across Cincinnati.”

Knippenberg, whose Psst! gossip column for The Enquirer was must-read material three times a week, painted the town red with the likes of Bob Hope, Rosemary Clooney, Billy Joel, Judy Collins, Anthony Munoz, Bootsy Collins and Alice Cooper — all while giving paparazzi a good name. “I blab about everything I hear and see on the party and bar circuit,” he would say. “I like to think Psst! is a lively mix of names, faces, people, events and here and there a dash of gossip.” He received more than 50 phone tips a day, about 20 percent from anonymous callers. His Rolodex was so coveted in the newsroom, when he retired from The Enquirer in 2008, editors demanded that he leave it behind.

Among his many colorful adventures for The Enquirer: Riding every roller coaster in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana while hooked up to a heart monitor.

Knippenberg became a household name in the Cincinnati region by reporting good gossip, not salacious. Like when actress Cloris Leachman came to town for the Broadway Series production of Show Boat at the Aronoff Center. She became a Knip gossip item by sharing bites of pancakes with total strangers at First Watch, a Downtown breakfast haven. “She had such a good time she sent them tickets and backstage passes – she was gracious as all get out,” he recalled.

So was Knip — gracious as all get out — to everyone he met. His friends and former colleagues invite his many readers and admirers to “clap it” and toast to Cincinnati’s most colorful and beloved journalist Monday, April 4, at The Celestial.
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 30 Mar 2011, 15:30

EKU, Centre College compete to host 2012 presidential debate

The competition between Eastern Kentucky University and Centre College to host a general election debate during the 2012 presidential race isn't just a battle for bragging rights.
If either school is selected for a presidential or vice presidential debate, it will certainly put the national spotlight on the host. But it also will likely mean more alumni giving, more out-of-state applications from potential students and the economic benefit that such an event can reap for the host city.
"We know that this will mean a lot of work, but the payoff to our students, to our community, to our state can be immense," said EKU President Doug Whitlock.
Centre's enrollment, for example, has increased from 1,000 to more than 1,200 since it hosted the 2000 vice presidential debate between Republican Dick Cheney and Democrat (now Independent) Joe Lieberman. And in the year after the debate, out-of-state applications increased 25 percent from the previous year, and total applications went up 12 percent. Centre also saw an increase in alumni giving.
"It helped to increase our national profile," said Clarence Wyatt, special assistant to Centre President John Roush. "It certainly instilled a greater sense of pride in the Centre community and a greater sense of possibility. It demonstrated that Centre and Danville-Boyle County have a great ability to exceed expectations."
Wyatt confirmed Monday that Centre will seek a general election debate. EKU officials announced Tuesday that they hope to bring a debate to the new Center for the Performing Arts now under construction in Richmond. When completed in September — a year ahead of the 2012 debates — it will seat 2,012.
EKU's ace in the hole is Debra Hoskins, the arts center's executive director. She was hired earlier this year from Centre, where she was director of programs at the Norton Center for the Arts when the 2000 debate was held there.
"We talked to Debra about this (2012 debate) possibility when we interviewed her," Whitlock said after Tuesday's announcement.
Hoskins was responsible for securing application materials from the Commission on Presidential Debates, Whitlock said.
Among the amenities that the commission requires is a debate hall that has at least 17,000 square feet and is air-conditioned; a parking area close to the debate hall that has the space for as many as 30 television remote trucks and satellite trucks; and at least 3,000 hotel rooms available within 30 minutes by car.
In addition to fulfilling those requirements, EKU has space for 3,000 journalists to file stories, and the nearby Roy Kidd Stadium could become an outdoor venue with large TV screens to air the debate for people who can't get into the hall.
Whitlock said it "very quickly became apparent to us that here in a half-mile circle, we have facilities that fill those requirements."
Retired Secret Service agent Don Cox confirmed that the facilities on the ground were a good set-up for a debate, Hoskins said.
EKU also showed a video, narrated by Nick and Nina Clooney, that will accompany its proposal package. Nick Clooney, father of actor George Clooney and brother of singer Rosemary Clooney, received an honorary doctor of humanities degree from EKU in 2008.
The commission will visit potential sites in April through June, said Nancy Henrietta, associate producer for the Commission on Presidential Debates. The commission will announce applicants on its Web site on Monday, but the final decision on site selections won't happen until the fall. In 2008, there were 19 candidates to host a debate.
The honor of hosting comes with a price. EKU officials estimated that it will cost $2.5 million to $3 million, privately raised, to put on a debate. Of that figure, $1.65 million goes to the Commission on Presidential Debates.
Hoskins said she doesn't know that EKU's bid heightens what appears to be a growing rivalry for talent and events between its Center for the Performing Arts and Centre's Norton Center.
"It's just like a basketball team," she said. "We're all working for the ultimate goal of winning. And the competitive spirit makes it that much more interesting, not only with anyone in Kentucky, but with universities across the country."
Wyatt would not comment on competition with EKU for the debate.
"The commission makes the selection, and I'm confident they will exercise the best judgment," Wyatt said. "We have demonstrated our ability to do this and do this well. We are confident we can do so again."
Wyatt noted that Centre has made $35 million in improvements to its campus that would make Centre a prime site.
The commission not only looks at facilities and security, but also wants to know how a host will help the commission advance its mission to provide the best possible information to viewers and listeners.
U.S. Rep. Ben Chandler, who attended Tuesday's announcement at EKU, threw his support behind the Richmond university's bid, even though Centre is also in his district.
"Centre had the last one and did a good job, and now it's time for EKU to have it," he told the crowd.
Chandler said he "committed to EKU's effort some time ago." He said afterward that he did not know Centre intended to pursue a debate until Tuesday.
Typically there are three presidential debates and one vice presidential debate. In 2008, Republican John McCain and Democrat Barack Obama debated in Mississippi, Tennessee and New York. Vice presidential candidates Joe Biden and Sarah Palin debated in St. Louis.
Kentucky last hosted a presidential debate on Oct. 7, 1984, between President Ronald Reagan and Democratic challenger Walter Mondale at the Kentucky Center for the Arts in Louisville.
EKU President Whitlock said he wishes Centre well in its bid.
"I'm sure (Centre President) John Roush and his wonderful faculty and staff and Centre would reciprocate," Whitlock said.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 06 Apr 2011, 21:22

I'd love to have lunch with Nick and Nina....I wouldn't even mention George LOL....

Action Auction Offers Unique Cincy Experiences
8:56 am, Apr 6, 2011

So which would you choose: Lunch with Nick and Nina Clooney to talk about George’s “Ides of March” filming here last month, or lunch with NBA Hall of Famer Oscar Robertson?

Or maybe a Montgomery Inn Boathouse dinner before the Riverfest fireworks? Or dinner for four at The Summit Restaurant at the Midwest Culinary Institute at Cincinnati State Technical and Community College?

And there’s more…. The unique “You Can Only Buy It Here” experiences being offered during WCET-TV’s 44th annual “Action Auction” today through Saturday also includes a half-dozen behind-the-scenes tours, and lessons on how to cook or kick a football.

The biggest annual fund-raiser for the nation’s first licensed public TV station airs 5-11 p.m. today through Friday, and ends with the 3-11 p.m. “Winefest” on Saturday. Each day viewers will see the usual array of vacation deals; jewelry; antiques; art; furniture; collectibles; restaurant gift certificates; golf discounts; and tickets for concerts, plays and sporting events. Thursday is “Northern Kentucky Night,” with most items being for goods, services and events south of the river (including Kentucky Speedway, Florence Freedom and Kentucky Symphony tickets and Northern Kentucky University items). You can preview the items at the CETconnect site here.

Here’s what’s new this year:

–Every day viewers will see at least four “O’dell’s Deals” bargain boards, items ranging $25-$75, by Auction chair Dr. O’dell Owens.

–Some wine will be sold Friday night, instead of all cases being held until Saturday.

–Owens, Cincinnati State president and long-time community activist, is asking Auction volunteers and buyers to bring canned good(s) when they visit CET during the Auction. All canned goods will go to the Freestore/Foodbank.

–“Super Boards” with the biggest ticket items will be sold Thursday and Saturday nights.

–Here’s a complete list of the “You Can Only Buy It Here” items:

FRIDAY:

-Director’s Tour of Music Hall

-1 Cincinnati Museum Center Tour Behind the Scenes

-A Tour of the 911 & Regional Emergency Centers (Hamilton Cty. Emergency Management Agency)

-Kicking Lesson by Jim Breech

-1 Queen City Sausage Tour

-Ohio Statehouse Tour and Lunch

SATURDAY:

-1 Cincinnati Museum Center Tour, behind the scenes

- Dinner for 4 to the Summit

- Tickets for 2 to Cincinnati State’s One Night 12 Kitchens Event

- Conversion Van Rental from Joseph Chevrolet

-Labor Day Dinner and Fireworks at Montgomery Inn

- Lunch with Nick and Nina Clooney

- Lunch with Oscar Robertson

- 1 Tour of Queen City Sausage

- At-Whitening Trays/Sonic Toothbrush from Terrence Poole DDS LLC

- A private cooking lesson with Cookin With Caitlin

And now, a word from CET: “The Action Auction is CET’s largest fundraiser, which helps raise critical funding for CET’s mission to educate and enrich the Greater Cincinnati community. Dr. Owens is a major proponent for the quality children’s programming that CET provides, which is just one of the important services we provide to this community. As we come off a successful March membership campaign, we look forward to the Action Auction and continuing to raise funds for our mission.”
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 09 Apr 2011, 16:07

Thanks Henway for the find:

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Sun 10 Apr 2011, 15:54

" I've go pants that are 50 years old ! "

" You just hung up on my retirement plan ! " lol! lol!
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 10 Apr 2011, 16:07

Yes, Nick is quite the character! Just love him to pieces!!!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri 22 Apr 2011, 08:38

ABC’s Diane Sawyer Dazzles Newseum Audience in Black Christian Louboutin Heels
By Betsy Rothstein on April 21, 2011 5:42 PM
ABC World News anchor Diane Sawyer sat down with Nick Clooney at the Newseum Tuesday night for an “Inside the Actor’s Studio” kind of interview. Dressed in black from head to toe, Sawyer, 65, charmed the audience with her candor and a quip about how wearing high Christian Louboutin heels keeps people guessing.

The event was part of American University’s Reel Journalism program at the Newseum in which a guest chooses a movie and chats with Clooney, who’s son is actor George Clooney. Sawyer chose “The China Syndrome” starring Jane Fonda, who plays a news anchor for a local TV station, and Michael Douglas, her cameraman.

Sawyer, relaxed and quick to laugh, also had serious observations about women in journalism. “The thing that I like is that it doesn’t make the journalism issues easy,” she said of the 1979 movie. Agreed Clooney, “They give no one a free pass.” Sawyer mentioned “the little gradations that Jane Fonda witnesses, not just thuggish bosses, but subtle things, the little have a nice day ways.”

Still, Sawyer seemed to have no misgivings about her time at CBS’s “60 Minutes” — she’s the first female to have worked there. “I always said that except that they finished their conversations in the men’s room there was nothing I didn’t get to do,” she said.

She spelled out her high hopes for journalism. “I believe in my heart that it is simply going to concentrate us in a new way,” she said of the changes happening in print and broadcast media. “A lot of other things are going to fade by the wayside, it’s going to shift beneath our feet. But the core mission [will stay].”

Clooney wondered about the difference between hosting a morning show and being an evening news anchor. “As you know, it’s just different muscles,” said Sawyer. “You use a narrower band. The difference is every minute has to count, every second has to count.”

Sawyer said she began her career in local news doing the weather – “horribly.” She explained, “I did a lot of the stories you’re going to see her [Fonda] do, birthday parties and aquariums and riding elephants. That’s how I started.”

At the Q and A portion of the program…

Sawyer fielded questions from the audience, many of whom were aspiring journalists. “What are you burning to tell people?” she told one young man, explaining her interviewing process when she makes a new hire. “They all tell me they want to do hour-long documentaries on the environment. I say, what was the last one you watched?”

One male audience member approached the microphone and promptly paid her a compliment: “I have to say, I love the shoes!”
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 14 May 2011, 08:27

Some of us 'older' posters already know this but thought it might be of interest to newbies...

All in the family

Globe Correspondent / May 14, 2011

All in the family

Mark Wahlberg is the 10th great-grandnephew of John Hathorne (1641-1717), a judge in the Salem witch trials, who was the great-great-grandfather of “The Scarlet Letter’’ author Nathaniel Hawthorne. That makes Hawthorne and Wahlberg fourth cousins, eight times removed.

Tom Hanks and Abraham Lincoln are third cousins four times removed. Abraham Lincoln is also a half-first cousin, five times removed to actor George Clooney (although Hanks and Clooney are not related).

Bill Gates has distant kinships to Princess Diana, the Bushes, and John Kerry.

Jennifer Aniston is related to John Quincy Adams and the Bush presidents via the Hoar family of Massachusetts.

Playboy founder Hugh Hefner, the late actor Christopher Reeve, and chief justice William Rehnquist are all related to each other through their descent from Mayflower passenger and Plymouth Colony governor William Bradford.

Source: Chris Child, New England Historic Genealogical Society
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 14 May 2011, 16:05

Wow, and I'm related, several times removed, to horse thieves and furniture people!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 14 May 2011, 17:25

Ha ha...I'm related to Irish bog farmers!
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Sat 14 May 2011, 17:44

Well my great grandfather ran a house of ill repute!! Really - he did.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 14 May 2011, 17:59

Merlin and Blubelle - more exciting than mine!!!

Hey, Blubelle, maybe my furniture people furnished your grandfather's house of ill-repute??!!!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Sat 14 May 2011, 18:14

I have pics of my family coming over from Germany in the early 1940's. Hey, maybe I'm a Nazi! Don't feel like one though.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Sat 14 May 2011, 19:08

Could be Mel. Never saw it but I'm told it featured lots of red flocked wall paper and tassels.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 14 May 2011, 22:08

Too funny Blubelle!

And Cindigirl, you're too cute to be a Nazi!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Ello Sun 15 May 2011, 00:04

Cindi, I don't think so. The late 1940s would be more likely, and I think Paraguay was more popular, unless they were rocket scientists, like Sandra Bullock's grandfather. She hasn't had much luck recently, but it was one blessing that absolutely no-one saw the Good German.
Ello
Ello
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 17 May 2011, 07:37

"MY MUSIC: MOMENTS TO REMEMBER" Returns to PBS
Beloved Music Legends From The 1950s & Early 1960s Return To The Stage For PBS Pop Music Special

Published: Monday, May. 16, 2011 - 7:04 am
PITTSBURGH, May 16, 2011 -- /PRNewswire/ -- TJL Productions announced today that MOMENTS TO REMEMBER, one of the most enduring offerings from its acclaimed MY MUSIC series, will return to PBS in June by popular demand. A dozen musical artists from the golden era of popular music will join classic TV hosts Nick Clooney, Peter Marshall and Wink Martindale to present this celebration of favorite songs from the late '50s and early '60s. The special will air throughout the June pledge period on PBS nationwide.

This joyful trip down memory lane, captured live on stage in southern California, brings back some of the most iconic voices from the AM radio era of American popular music. Among the many emotional highlights are Frankie Laine's performance of the sentimental "That's My Desire," his final recorded concert performance at age 92. Other gems include a heartfelt performance by '50s pop music queen Patti Page of her million-selling "Allegheny Moon"; the romantic evergreen "Autumn Leaves," the best selling piano recording of all time, by Roger Williams; a soaring version of "Domani" by Italian crooner Julius LaRosa; and lovingly performed harmonies by The Four Lads, The Four Freshmen, Herb Reed's Platters and The DeCastro Sisters. Archival performances from songstress Rosemary Clooney (introduced by her brother, Nick) and crooner Perry Como round out this melodic program.

PBS viewers who pledge for this membership event will be able to receive new, exclusive CD compilations of original hits by timeless artists from the '50s and '60s including Tony Bennett, Nat King Cole, Peggy Lee, Dean Martin, Johnny Mathis and more, as well as DVDs of rare archival film footage from Dinah Shore, Doris Day, Rosemary Clooney and Patti Page.

The MY MUSIC series is dedicated to the preservation of America's rich musical heritage and is produced exclusively for PBS by TJL Productions.
MY MUSIC: MOMENTS TO REMEMBER returns to PBS on June 4, 2011 and airs throughout the June pledge period; check local listings for stations and times

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 11 Jul 2011, 16:47

Nick Clooney Lends Voice to EKU Debate Bid

Nick Clooney, television host, journalist, and father of actor George Clooney, is lending his voice to those supporting Eastern Kentucky University's bid to host a 2012 presidential debate.
Clooney is a Maysville native who in 2008 received an honorary doctor of humanities degree from EKU.
He narrated a video that accompanied the university's bid proposal. The 13-minute film, produced by EKU media, touted the suitability of eastern and surrounding communities to host such an event. in addition to testimonials from leading federal, state and local officials, it detailed all the available campus venues and the various forms of logistical support a presidential debate would demand.
Clooney and his wife, Nina, a native of Perryville in nearby Boyle County, came to the Richmond campus to record the narration.
"EKU and the surrounding communities can offer the facilities, resources, the logistical support, experienced personnel, a ready supply of volunteers, natural beauty and, most of all, a can-do spirit that adds up to a winning combination for a great presidential debate in 2012," Clooney said in the video.
EKU is one of 12 colleges and universities nationwide competing to host four debates in 2012: three presidential debates and one vice presidential debate. It is expected that the commission on presidential debates, delegates from which visited the campus in May, will announce its selections by November 2011.

Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 12 Jul 2011, 07:35

Similar article...

Nick Clooney Supports EKU Bid For Presidential Debate

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Nick Clooney, television host, an award-winning journalist and globally-engaged humanitarian, added his voice - literally - to those supporting Eastern Kentucky University's bid to host a 2012 Presidential Debate.

Clooney, a Maysville native who in 2008 received an honorary doctor of humanities degree from EKU, narrated a video that accompanied the University's bid proposal. The 13-minute film, produced by EKU Media, touted the suitability of Eastern and surrounding communities to host such an event. In addition to testimonials from leading federal, state and local officials, it detailed all the available campus venues and the various forms of logistical support a Presidential debate would demand.

Clooney and his wife, Nina, a native of Perryville in nearby Boyle County, came to the Richmond campus to record the narration.

"EKU and the surrounding communities can offer the facilities, resources, the logistical support, experienced personnel, a ready supply of volunteers, natural beauty and, most of all, a can-do spirit that adds up to a winning combination for a great Presidential debate in 2012," Mr. Clooney said in the video.

"We believe this is the premier site in our country for the 2012 Presidential debate," Mrs. Clooney added.

EKU is one of 12 colleges and universities nationwide competing to host four debates in 2012 - three Presidential debates and one Vice Presidential debate. The Commission on Presidential Debate is expected to announce its selections by November 2011. They visited the EKU campus in May.

The University's 2,012-seat Center for the Arts, set to open in September 2011, would serve as the debate hall. Many other adjacent campus facilities, such as the Business and Technology Center, Perkins Building and Alumni Coliseum, would serve auxiliary purposes.

Nick Clooney became a regional legend during his years in Cincinnati television, where he is best remembered for his hard-hitting coverage of the tragic Beverly Hills Supper Club fire. He also held anchor positions in Lexington, Buffalo, Los Angeles and Salt Lake City before entering print journalism as a columnist for the Cincinnati Post. He is a member of both the Cincinnati and Kentucky Journalism Halls of Fame and the Ohio Television Hall of Fame.

In addition, Clooney hosted "The Money Maze," a television game show in the 1970s, and gained further national notoriety as a host on the AMC cable television channel.

In recent years, he and his son, Academy Award-winning actor George Clooney, have visited the troubled region of Darfur in Sudan and lobbied tirelessly to heighten awareness about the crisis in that east African country.

Nick Clooney is also the brother of the late legendary singer Rosemary Clooney. In addition to George, the Clooneys have a daughter, Adelia.

The other colleges and universities vying to host a debate next year are: Belmont University, Nashville, Tenn.; Centre College, Danville, Ky.; Dominican University of California, San Rafael, Calif.; Hofstra University, Hempstead, N.Y.; Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind.; Lynn University, Boca Raton, Fla.; Saint Mary's College of California, Moraga, Calif.; The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, Pomona, N.J.; University of Denver, Denver, Colo.; Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, N.C.; and Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, Mo.

Eastern Kentucky University is a comprehensive university serving approximately 16,500 students on its Richmond campus, at its educational centers in Corbin, Danville, Manchester, Somerset and Lancaster, and throughout Kentucky.
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Wed 13 Jul 2011, 02:27

Thanks Merlin!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Wed 13 Jul 2011, 03:28

They are an amazing couple, it's as if they work together on everything, wonder if he shows as much interest in her life pursuits. Why can't George find his Nina? I know, he doesn't want to!
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 24 Aug 2011, 07:19

Happy Birthday to Nina Give Flowers2
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:39

Basketball Sure you ain't their mysterious housecat ?
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next