George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George in Tuscany
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 EmptySat 18 May 2024, 19:45 by benex

» The Good News
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 18:19 by annemariew

» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Serious Side - part 8

+6
carolhathaway
Donnamarie
ladybugcngc
party animal - not!
annemarie
LizzyNY
10 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 Empty Re: The Serious Side - part 8

Post by LizzyNY Fri 24 Apr 2020, 22:19

George Conway is a voice of sanity from the other side of the aisle. I can't imagine what their marriage must be like, with his wife being a drumpf apologist. If she's only in it for the money then I have even less respect for her - and even more confusion about their marriage, as he seems to be an ethical man with a moral backbone. She has neither.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Fri 24 Apr 2020, 22:27

I'm sure they are smart enough to not allow political differences disrupt their marriage

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 24 Apr 2020, 23:07

I had read over a month ago that they were not living together any longer.  They are both very quiet about their marriage so no way of knowing if the separation story is true.  I can’t imagine how they could even stand each other.
George Conway’s opinion of Trump is visceral.  How does his feelings not seep over into their relationship?
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 24 Apr 2020, 23:28

Donnamarie - They'd have to, unless they never discuss politics, which I don't think is possible. I think it goes deeper than politics, too. That she can continue working in this administration is abhorrent. That she can do it knowing how her husband feels is like a slap in the face to him. She apparently values her job more than her marriage. And he must be questioning what kind of person he married if she can continue supporting a man he considers a traitor.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Sat 25 Apr 2020, 00:36

LizzyNY wrote:George Conway is a voice of sanity from the other side of the aisle. I can't imagine what their marriage must be like, with his wife being a drumpf apologist. If she's only in it for the money then I have even less respect for her - and even more confusion about their marriage, as he seems to be an ethical man with a moral backbone. She has neither.

They could click in every other aspect of life.  They both probably agree stealing, murder, and destroying the very things needed to sustain life are wrong.

At the end of the day, politicians, political parties, lobbyist, use political issues as  ping pong balls to control their own interest. 

At this point. the most dangerous thing we face is not understanding who is actually controlling the government and what their agenda is.  Neither Republican or Democrat are looking out for the good of the people; they yield to the interest of those funding their campaigns.

With Corporate Business driving the media, controlling the economy, and politicians yielding to those who fund their campaign, where do we the people stand?

My understanding is the corporate team funding Biden wants to bankrupt this country; Senator McConnell is funded by the same corporate team.  What happens if that is the corporate team controlling our government?  Note:  Senator McConnell is hoping the anti-trump campaign will continue.  A Biden win plays into the McConnell's corporate interest;  saving Trump from impeachment covers his constituent support.

No matter who wins the next Presidential race, "we the people" are in for the worst time in recent history.

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 25 Apr 2020, 01:57

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/24/revealed-leader-group-peddling-bleach-cure-lobbied-trump-coronavirus

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 25 Apr 2020, 02:19

There are no words...........
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Sat 25 Apr 2020, 02:49

I know how you feel

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 25 Apr 2020, 03:54

Revealed: leader of group peddling bleach as coronavirus 'cure' wrote to Trump this week
Mark Grenon wrote to Trump saying chlorine dioxide ‘can rid the body of Covid-19’ days before the president promoted disinfectant as treatment

• Coronavirus – latest US updates
  • Coronavirus – latest global updates
  • See all our coronavirus coverage

Ed Pilkington in New York
 @edpilkington
Fri 24 Apr 2020 14.00 EDTLast modified on Fri 24 Apr 2020 18.10 EDT

• [url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Revealed%3A leader of group peddling bleach as coronavirus %27cure%27 wrote to Trump this week&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fworld%2F2020%2Fapr%2F24%2Frevealed-leader-group-peddling-bleach-cure-lobbied-trump-coronavirus%3FCMP%3Dshare_btn_tw][/url]

Shares

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 4500
 Donald Trump listens to a speaker during the daily briefing on the novel coronavirus. Photograph: Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images
The leader of the most prominent group in the US peddling potentially lethal industrial bleach as a “miracle cure” for coronavirus wrote to Donald Trump at the White House this week.
In his letter, Mark Grenon told Trump that chlorine dioxide – a powerful bleach used in industrial processes such as textile manufacturing that can have fatal side-effects when drunk – is “a wonderful detox that can kill 99% of the pathogens in the body”. He added that it “can rid the body of Covid-19”.
A few days after Grenon dispatched his letter, Trump went on national TV at his daily coronavirus briefing at the White House on Thursday and promoted the idea that disinfectant could be used as a treatment for the virus. To the astonishment of medical experts, the US president said that disinfectant “knocks it out in a minute. One minute!”
He went on to say: “Is there a way we can do something, by an injection inside or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that.”

Play Video
1:58
[size]
 Trump floats dangerous coronavirus treatment ideas as Dr Birx looks on – video
Trump did not specify where the idea of using disinfectant as a possible remedy for Covid-19 came from, and the source for his notion remains obscure. But the Guardian has learned that peddlers of chlorine dioxide – industrial bleach – have been making direct approaches to the White House in recent days.

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 4000

Coronavirus: the week explained - sign up for our email newsletter

Read more

Grenon styles himself as “archbishop” of Genesis II – a Florida-based outfit that claims to be a church but which in fact is the largest producer and distributor of chlorine dioxide bleach as a “miracle cure” in the US. He brands the chemical as MMS, “miracle mineral solution”, and claims fraudulently that it can cure 99% of all illnesses including cancer, malaria, HIV/Aids as well as autism.
Since the start of the pandemic, Genesis II has been marketing MMS as a cure to coronavirus. It advises users, including children, to mix three to six drops of bleach in water and drink it.
In his weekly televised radio show, posted online on Sunday, Grenon read out the letter he wrote to Trump. He said it began: “Dear Mr President, I am praying you read this letter and intervene.”
Grenon said that 30 of his supporters have also written in the past few days to Trump at the White House urging him to take action to protect Genesis II in its bleach-peddling activities which they claim can cure coronavirus.
On Friday, hours after Trump talked about disinfectant on live TV, Grenon went further in a post on his Facebook page. He claimed that MMS had actually been sent to the White House. He wrote: “Trump has got the MMS and all the info!!! Things are happening folks! Lord help others to see the Truth!”
Paradoxically, Trump’s outburst about the possible value of an “injection” of disinfectant into the lungs of Covid-19 sufferers came just days after a leading agency within the president’s own administration took action to shut down the peddling of bleach as a coronavirus cure around the US.
Last week the US Food and Drug Administration obtained a federal court order barring Genesis II from selling what was described as “an unproven and potentially harmful treatment for Covid-19”. The FDA also ordered a disciple of Genesis II, Kerri Rivera, to remove claims that MMS cured coronavirus from her website.
Last August the FDA issued an urgent warning urging Americans not to buy or drink MMS, which it said was a “dangerous bleach which has caused serious and potentially life-threatening side effects”. Drinking MMS can cause nausea, diarrhea and severe dehydration that can lead to death, the federal agency said.
The Guardian contacted the White House asking whether Grenon’s letter had influenced Trump’s comments on disinfectant, but did not immediately receive a response.
Another advocate of bleach as a miracle cure who has been seeking to interest Trump in the treatment is Alan Keyes. He is a former ambassador and adviser to Ronald Reagan who ran unsuccessfully as a Republican candidate for the US Senate and on three occasions for the US presidency.

[/size]
Play Video
2:43
[size]
 Donald Trump: comments about injecting disinfectant were 'sarcastic' – video
Keyes has featured Genesis II bleach products as a miracle cure on his online conservative TV show, Let’s Talk America.
It is not known whether Keyes has discussed MMS with Trump. But the two men have overlapping interests.
Not only have they both featured in Republican party and presidential politics, but they were both leading proponents of the Birther conspiracy theory that wrongfully suggested Barack Obama was born outside America.
Keyes’s TV show is hosted on IAMtv, a rightwing web-based channel. IAMtv’s other leading anchor is Bob Sisson, who has also advertised Genesis II bleach products on air.
In one of his shows, first reported by the Daily Beast, Sisson held up two bottles of Genesis II MMS and said: “Gonna meet Trump, it’s only a matter of time. President Trump’s gonna invite us up there, when he finds out about this stuff.”
On Friday Trump claimed he was being “sarcastic” in his remarks but there is no evidence to back up that claim and he appeared entirely serious as he made them.[/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 25 Apr 2020, 03:55

I have the words but Katie would surely ban me if i used them.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sat 25 Apr 2020, 11:08

Sorry I know this is the Serious Side... and God knows this IS serious.... but sometimes he just asks for it .... the missing word is Domestos and Dettol. ....

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 26f7bef2-0b1f-4fb9-a1fa-41f7824c15bc

https://images.app.goo.gl/n8zYxidhCTWRmWW97

https://images.app.goo.gl/UZLP4MXDQm2ZVpBLA

https://images.app.goo.gl/XFWd1PKH3fCcRvrx6
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 25 Apr 2020, 11:25

WWHS too early to laugh so hard. Those were priceless

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 25 Apr 2020, 12:13

https://twitter.com/jerrygebhardt/status/1253859571162062848

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 25 Apr 2020, 12:49

Kellyanne Conway must be an extremely good (or bad?) actress and visceral at that. They've been married for twenty years, but she was Ted Cruz's go-to spokesman against Trump before Trump paid her more, so loyalty probably counts for nothing. Shallow stuff

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 25 Apr 2020, 13:13

So she closes her eyes and does it for the money. I guess she has no conscious as well telling lie after lie
would get to you after awhile. I guess counting her paycheck makes it bearable. It is said the best liars aret
the one's who believe what they are saying. 
Except in the idiots case we all know he doesn't believe in anything that won't make him money.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 25 Apr 2020, 14:53

Looks like the Trump Organisation have applied to the US government for aid during the COVID 19 - whilst China are investing in all their projects, and apparently Trump owes them millions....

Not likely to want to investigate the source and causes of Covid 19 much then..........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 25 Apr 2020, 15:34

We'll recover from the corona virus a lot sooner than we'll recover from drumpf's presidency. As funny as some of these posts are, they just underline how horrible he really is. The fact that he exists at all is depressing. I don't know what we did, but I think God is really pissed at us.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 25 Apr 2020, 15:49

He so corrupt , it was already said his companies can not receive any of the money.

A crook will try though.  If he were a good person and a horrible President , I could cut him some slack

but he is horrible all the way around . He has no redeeming qualities at all.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 25 Apr 2020, 15:52

Yep, I think God's head might be in his hands at the moment - and I just read that Dump is busy tweeting about a wrestler (because the man who's promoting the match runs his  biggest Super PAC) while it's just been announced 52 000 Americans have died from Covid 19.

I also see that the Federal Government have sent no funding at all to any of the 52 states......(Cuomo this a m)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 25 Apr 2020, 19:29

Isn't it nice to see he's got his priorities right?!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 25 Apr 2020, 21:04

[size=34]Donald Trump launches into tirade about the virus starting with 'one person in China' and insists he never called COVID-19 a 'hoax' - while predicting the pandemic will end with a 'miracle'[/size]

• Donald Trump lashed out at Democrats in a fiery tweet Saturday morning

• He insisted that he never referred to the coronavirus as a 'hoax' and called Democrats liars

• Trump also said the coronavirus started with 'one person from China and then grew', adding that it will be a 'miracle' end 

• The Twitter tirade came just after he was criticized for suggesting injecting disinfectants to treat coronavirus

• Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19

By KAYLA BRANTLEY FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 11:57 EDT, 25 April 2020 | UPDATED: 13:48 EDT, 25 April 2020

President Donald Trump lashed out at Democrats in a fiery tweet Saturday and insisted the coronavirus pandemic will end in a 'miracle'.   
'The Do Nothing Democrats are spending much of their money on Fake Ads. I never said that the CoronaVirus is a 'Hoax', I said that the Democrats, and the way they lied about it, are a Hoax,' the president tweeted.  
'Also, it did start with 'one person from China', and then grew, & will be a 'Miracle' end!' he added. 
Trump did not elaborate on what kind of 'miracle' he was expecting nor did he call out specific Democrats by name.  
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27641566-8256753-image-a-1_1587829788426

+3

Donald Trump lashed out at Democrats in a fiery tweet Saturday morning
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27641484-8256753-image-a-2_1587830026752

Trump insisted that he never referred to the coronavirus a 'hoax' and called Democrats liars
The president spent much of Saturday morning on Twitter, and in addition to bashing Democrats, he blasted 'fake news,'  boasting about the number of COVID-19 tests performed in the United States and said it was an 'honor' to send ventilators to Colorado. 
The commander-in-chief sent out the string of tweets starting at 8am - including another in which he promised to send ventilators to Ethiopia - the morning after he abruptly exited his daily coronavirus press briefing without taking any questions.   
Trump kicked off his morning by tweeting out that WWE star Triple H 'is a total winner', before he turned to address the coronavirus pandemic. 
'Thank you to the people of Colorado for the warm and gracious notes and letters sent to me for all of the Ventilators we got for you. It was my great honor! @SenCoryGardner' he wrote in a second post at 8.45am.   
The president's tweet storm comes after he was criticized for suggesting injecting disinfectants to treat coronavirus, later calling his comments sarcasm. 
Reports claim that Trump's presence at daily coronavirus press briefings may be cut back as the White House looks to prevent him from alienating key voters in November.
In the absence of his campaign rallies, the president has relished the opportunity to take the lead during the televised afternoon updates, which have stretched for as long as two hours as Trump boasts achievements against the outbreaks and applauds the high television rating the briefings receive.
The White House has expressed concern, however, that Trump's presence may be causing more harm than good as his approval ratings slide back down into the 40s and recent polls show him to have fallen behind presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden in key states such as Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27638008-8256753-image-a-3_1587830040523

Concerns for the impact of his presence grew after the president's dubious claims about injecting disinfectant into the body as a coronavirus cure on Thursday led to an angry walk-off from Friday's briefing, where no questions were permitted after a day of bad press.  
Even close aides were said to be shocked by the 'off-the-cuff' disinfectant remarks that they blame on an eagerness from the president to present positive news, according to NBC
The off-script remarks that people with the virus could be cured by UV rays or disinfectants 'by injection inside' has been universally rejected by health experts and led to a PR nightmare for the White House as Trump attempted to roll-back the comments as 'sarcasm'. 
Officials believe he may have misinterpreted scientific information discussed with him before Thursday's briefing about the use of disinfectant on surfaces. 
The plan was to stress the findings of the report but 'the president took it a couple steps further', one official told NBC, by suggesting it as a potential cure. 
The blunder has now led to discussions underway within the White House looking to curtail the president's involvement to prevent further damage, according to four White House officials and Republicans close to the White House who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 25 Apr 2020, 21:14

[size=34]Trump touts 'five million' COVID tests conducted by the US and thanks Colorado for its gratitude at receiving ventilators - and promises to send machines to Ethiopia[/size]

• Trump sent out a string of tweets beginning before 9am Saturday 

• Tweets boasted about testing numbers and supplies of ventilators 

• He later turned to attack 'Do Nothing Democrats' and promised a 'miracle end' to coronavirus

• His prolific morning on Twitter was in contrast to his unusually-short appearance at Friday's coronavirus press briefing 

• White House officials are reportedly trying to curtail his appearances, after he made disastrous comments about treating COVID patients with disinfectant 

By ANDREW COURT FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 11:51 EDT, 25 April 2020 | UPDATED: 12:44 EDT, 25 April 2020

President Trump has spent Saturday morning on Twitter, blasting fake news, boasting about the number of COVID-19 tests performed in the United States and saying it was 'honor' to send ventilators to Colordao. 
The Commander-in-chief sent out the string of tweets - including another in which he promised to send ventilators to Ethiopia - the morning after he abruptly exited his daily coronavirus press briefing without taking any questions. 
Trump has been ridiculed after suggesting Thursday that COVID-19 patients may be treated with the injection of disinfectants. White House officials are now reportedly discussing ways to curtail his public appearances. 
But the President appears unable to stay away from his beloved Twitter account, sending out his first Saturday tweet at 8.20am. 
Trump kicked off his morning by tweeting out that WWE star Triple H 'is a total winner', before he turned to address the coronavirus pandemic. 
'Thank you to the people of Colorado for the warm and gracious notes and letters sent to me for all of the Ventilators we got for you. It was my great honor! @SenCoryGardner' he wrote in a second post at 8.45am. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27640122-0-image-a-13_1587829976368

+7

President Trump has spent Saturday morning on Twitter, after he abruptly left Friday's  coronavirus press briefing (pictured) without taking questions 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27640114-8256641-image-a-2_1587828497451

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27640108-8256641-image-m-5_1587828538109

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27640110-8256641-image-a-4_1587828521281

Trump sent out the string of tweets addressing testing and ventilators 
On Thursday, the federal government delivered 100 ventilators to 11 different Colorado hospital,, following a request from Republican Senator Cory Gardner. 
According to The Colorado Gazette, Gardner has 'touted the success of his personal connections' in securing supplies to battle coronavirus. Some critics of Trump have claimed that he 'demands praise in exchange for aid'. 
14 minutes later, Trump sent out his third tweet of the morning, in which he boasted about the number of COVID-19 tests that have been performed across the country. 
'Many testing sites are, and have been, open & available. Just passed 5 Million Tests, far more than any other country in the world. In fact, more than all other major countries combined! Don't believe the Fake News!' he wrote.  
Last week, journalist Steve Kornacki told MSNBC that, whilst the US may have administered more tests than other western countries, they also have a far larger population. 
He showed data that claimed the US still trailing behind Italy, Germany and Spain in terms of testing per capita. 

Later on Saturday morning, Trump tweeted about the supply of ventilators, and appeared to indicate that the COVID-19 outbreak was coming to an end in the US. 
'It is a wonderful feeling to know that our States are loaded up with Ventilators, many brand new and high quality just off of our production lines, and that we are now in a position to help other countries that so desperately need them. Every person needing a Ventilator got one!' he wrote. 
He then promised to help Ethiopia with its COVID-19 outbreak, writing: 'Just spoke to Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed Ali of Ethiopia. His Country needs Ventilators, and the U.S. is in good position to help him. We will!'
Trump later turned to attack his political opponents, sending another tweet which stated: 'The Do Nothing Democrats are spending much of their money on Fake Ads. I never said that the CoronaVirus is a 'Hoax', I said that the Democrats, and the way they lied about it, are a Hoax. Also, it did start with 'one person from China', and then grew, & will be a 'Miracle' end!'
It comes despite new data Saturday morning which showed the number of COVID-19 cases in the US has skyrocketed to more than 927,000. More than 52,400 Americans have died from the virus.  
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27641854-8256641-image-a-16_1587830090485

+7

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27621904-8255403-image-a-32_1587767568641

+7

The President's busy morning on Twitter came after an unusually short appearance at his Friday coronavirus press briefing, which lasted just 22 minutes 
[size=18]Trump talks up ultraviolet light and injecting disinfectant for COVID-19

Load
[/size]

The President's busy morning on Twitter came after an unusually short appearance at his Friday coronavirus press briefing, which lasted just 22 minutes. 
Trump usually holds court for more than two hours, but has been under fire for comments made during his briefing on Thursday.  
While speaking into the microphone, the President proposed treating coronavirus patients by injecting them with disinfectant. 
The presumptive 2020 Democratic nominee for President, Joe Biden - who is all but certain to go head-to-head against Trump in re-election - mocked the President for the claim on Twitter. 
Social media users also created a flurry of memes, and disinfectant maker Lysol was prompted to release a statement telling customers not to ingest their products. 
Trump later claimed he was being 'sarcastic' when he made the comments.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 25 Apr 2020, 21:26

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8255763/Thousands-Californians-flock-open-beaches-despite-Gov-Newsoms-pleas-stay-home.html

[size=34]Tens of thousands of Californians escape their homes to open beaches during a heatwave despite Gov. Newsom's pleas for them to stay home as state reached 40,000 cases[/size]

• California recorded its deadliest day yet, with 115 fatalities in the 24 hours from Wednesday to Thursday

• As of Thursday there were more than 40,000 confirmed cases in the state; the death toll stands at 1,597

• Californians locked down for weeks during the pandemic came back to beaches as the weather warmed 

• Gov. Newsom on Friday pleaded for social distancing during the continued heat wave expected this weekend

• Pictures taken in Huntington Beach on Friday show crowds enjoying as the state roasted in a spring heat wave

• Up to 40,000 people are said to have headed to Newport beach Friday; many of those pictured Friday did not appear to be keeping six feet apart in line with social distancing guidelines and few were in face coverings

• Officials are bracing for even larger crowds this weekend as the warm weather continues  

By LAUREN FRUEN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 23:05 EDT, 24 April 2020 | UPDATED: 02:00 EDT, 25 April 2020

Thousands of Californians flocked to open beaches during a heatwave Friday despite Gov. Gavin Newsom's pleas for them to stay home. 
The nation's most populous state recorded its deadliest day yet in the pandemic, with 115 fatalities in the 24 hours from Wednesday to Thursday. As of Thursday there were more than 40,000 confirmed cases in the state; the death toll stands at 1,597. 
But Californians locked down for weeks during the coronavirus pandemic came back to local beaches as the weather warmed, prompting Gov. Newsom on Friday to plead for social distancing during the continued heat wave expected this weekend.  
Newsom tweeted Friday: 'It’s going to be nice outside this weekend. You might be feeling cooped up. Ready for life to go back to “normal.” But can’t stress this enough: CA can only keep flattening the curve if we stay home and practice physical distancing. You have the power to literally save lives.' 
California has been under a mandatory stay-at-home order since March 19. 
Pictures taken in Huntington Beach, an Orange County city, on Friday show crowds gathering to enjoy as the state roasted in a spring heat wave. Dozens of locations reached 90 degrees Fahrenheit or higher well before noon, the National Weather Service said, and officials are bracing for even larger crowds this weekend.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27627032-8255763-image-a-80_1587781345033

+21

Thousands of people in Huntington Beach seemingly ignore social distancing guidelines during the coronavirus outbreak
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27626996-8255763-image-a-70_1587781271676

+21

Hungtingon Beach Officer Angela Bennett told ABC7 : 'We're trying to ask people to maybe put themselves in our residents' position and think about the fact that our residents also have limited parking'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27626926-8255763-image-a-50_1587781136765

+21

Groups of people flocked to the beach during a heatwave Friday despite Gov. Gavin Newsom's pleas for them to stay home
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27626898-8255763-image-a-45_1587781021469

+21

The nation's most populous state recorded its deadliest day yet in the pandemic, with 115 fatalities in the 24 hours from Wednesday to Thursday but this did not stop beach goers heading out to enjoy the sunshine in Huntington Beach Friday 
Above-normal temperatures were forecast for much of the rest of the state into next week, with some brief interruptions.
'A below normal snowpack exists over the Sierra Nevada and it's likely to diminish during the next several days due to unseasonably warm weather,' the Hanford National Weather Service office said in social media posts.   
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27628050-8255763-image-a-98_1587782994667

This week in Huntington Beach as well as the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve, surfers could be seen in the water on either side of a closed pier as sunbathers watched from the sand and joggers used pedestrian paths.
Lifeguards at Huntington Beach's main stretch of shoreline counted about 9,000 people on the sand and in the water on Thursday, according to local CBS television affiliate KCBS. 
Up to 40,000 people are said to have headed to Newport beach Friday. 
Many of those pictured Friday did not appear to be keeping six feet apart in line with social distancing guidelines and few were in face coverings.  
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27626998-8255763-image-a-71_1587781285659

+21

As of Thursday there are more than 40,000 confirmed cases in the state; the death toll stands at 1,597
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27627028-8255763-image-a-78_1587781332098

+21

Californians locked down for weeks during the coronavirus pandemic came back to local beaches as the weather warmed, prompting Gov. Newsom on Friday to plead for social distancing during the continued heat wave expected this weekend
[size=10][size=18]Ventura County residents flock to the beach amid a heat wave

Lo
[/size][/size]

Parking lots are not open and so many of those enjoying the sunshine parked in nearby neighborhoods, according to local reports. 
Hungtingon Beach Officer Angela Bennett told ABC7: 'We're trying to ask people to maybe put themselves in our residents' position and think about the fact that our residents also have limited parking.'
On Thursday Newsom appeared to concede that the state's beaches would be an irresistible lure to residents, who have been largely confined to their homes since mid-March.
'We're walking into a very warm weekend. People are prone to want to go to the beaches, parks, playgrounds and go on a hike, and I anticipate there will be significant increase in volume,' the governor said.
'But I also think if there is and people aren't practicing physical distancing, I'll be announcing again these numbers going back up,' Newsom said, referring to a slight downward tick in new hospitalizations and admissions to intensive-care units. 

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27627022-8255763-image-a-76_1587781327374

+21

Newsom tweeted: 'It’s going to be nice outside this weekend. You might be feeling cooped up. Ready for life to go back to “normal.” But can’t stress this enough: CA can only keep flattening the curve if we stay home and practice physical distancing'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27627008-8255763-image-a-74_1587781300395

+21

Pictures taken in Huntington Beach Friday show crowds gathering to enjoy as the state roasted Friday in a spring heat wave
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27626900-8255763-image-a-47_1587781118178

+21

Dozens of locations reached 90 degrees Fahrenheit or higher well before noon, the National Weather Service said
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27626936-8255763-This_week_in_Huntington_Beach_as_well_as_the_Bolsa_Chica_Ecologi-a-120_1587789389646

+21

This week in Huntington Beach as well as the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve, surfers could be seen in the water on either side of a closed pier as sunbathers watched from the sand and joggers used pedestrian paths
Newsom has been credited with taking early action to lock down the state as cases of COVID-19 spread in early March, and California has seen fewer cases than New York and other East Coast states.
California's beaches are under a patchwork of state and local jurisdictions, which means some have remained open while others were shut.
Los Angeles County closed all its beaches - including parking lots, bike paths, showers and restrooms - during the coronavirus outbreak, but leaders in neighboring Orange County voted to keep some open.
Amid a debate over whether residents are safer in open spaces such as the beach, officials in San Clemente in southern Orange County voted this week to reopen city beaches that they closed two weeks ago, the Orange County Register reported. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27628048-8255763-image-a-100_1587783001849

+21

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27626970-8255763-_Lifeguards_at_Huntington_Beach_s_main_stretch_of_shoreline_coun-a-121_1587789389648

+21

. Lifeguards at Huntington Beach's main stretch of shoreline counted about 9,000 people on the sand and in the water on Thursday, according to local CBS television affiliate KCBS. The area is pictured Friday
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27626966-8255763-Newsom_has_been_credited_with_taking_early_action_to_lock_down_t-a-122_1587789389773

+21

Newsom has been credited with taking early action to lock down the state as cases of COVID-19 spread in early March, and California has seen fewer cases than New York and other East Coast states
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27626952-8255763-California_s_beaches_are_under_a_patchwork_of_state_and_local_ju-a-119_1587789389470

+21

California's beaches are under a patchwork of state and local jurisdictions, which means some have remained open while others were shut. Los Angeles County closed all its beaches - including parking lots, bike paths, showers and restrooms - during the coronavirus outbreak, but leaders in neighboring Orange County voted to keep some open
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27626950-8255763-Los_Angeles_Police_Department_Chief_Michel_Moore_urged_residents-a-123_1587789389778

+21

Los Angeles Police Department Chief Michel Moore urged residents to avoid flocking to beaches and trailheads as summery weather returns, the Los Angeles City News Service (CNS) reported
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27626942-8255763-image-a-54_1587781167853

+21

The number of infections in the state is likely much higher because many have not been tested
Los Angeles Police Department Chief Michel Moore urged residents to avoid flocking to beaches and trailheads as summery weather returns, the Los Angeles City News Service (CNS) reported.
'Save police the awkwardness of us having to admonish you and advise and direct you for something that you already know,' CNS quoted Moore as saying. 'With that, our men and women can stay focused on public safety.
Taxpayers will pay restaurants to make meals for millions of California's seniors during the coronavirus pandemic, an initiative that could pump billions of dollars into a devastated industry while generating sales tax collections for cash-strapped local governments, Gov. Newsom also announced Friday. 
The number of infections in the state is likely much higher because many have not been tested, and studies suggest people can be infected without feeling sick.
Newsom has said hospitalizations and patients in intensive care units are key statistics for deciding when to loosen stay-at-home orders. Both numbers have been essentially flat for much of the week.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27627062-8255763-image-a-82_1587781379650

+21

Newsom has said hospitalizations and patients in intensive care units are key statistics for deciding when to loosen stay-at-home orders. Both numbers have been essentially flat for much of the week
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27626972-8255763-image-a-67_1587781234376

+21

Many of those pictured Friday did not appear to be keeping six feet apart in line with social distancing guidelines and few were in face coverings
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27626962-8255763-Parking_lots_are_not_open_and_so_many_of_those_enjoying_the_suns-a-118_1587789389462

+21

Parking lots are not open and so many of those enjoying the sunshine parked in nearby neighborhoods
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27626958-8255763-Up_to_40_000_people_are_said_to_have_headed_to_Newport_beach_Fri-a-124_1587789389851

+21

Up to 40,000 people are said to have headed to Newport beach Friday and officials are bracing for more over the coming weekend. Beachgoers in Huntington Beach are pictured Friday 

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 26 Apr 2020, 00:44

It’s surreal to read all the Trump news here today.  Loved reading everyone’s comments,  But is anyone really surprised by any of it?  Didn’t we all know that he was going to royally screw up our government and leave Americans to fend for themselves as he looked out for number one?
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 26 Apr 2020, 13:42

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/firms-trump-links-or-worth-100-million-got-small-business-n1190741?cid=eml_nbn_20200424

..and it just keeps coming. No shame

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 26 Apr 2020, 18:00

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8257711/West-Point-says-1-000-cadets-fly-Trumps-June-13-commencement-speech.html

[size=34]West Point is bringing back 1,000 cadets for Trump's June 13 commencement speech - who will then be tested for coronavirus and isolated for 14 days[/size]

• Cadets have been taking classes remotely since leaving the West Point campus - located in New York state

•  Now the academy is now planning to bring back about 1,000 cadets to campus to attend the June 13 graduation ceremony

•  Trump revealed during a White House Coronavirus Task Force briefing last week that he will be giving West Point's commencement address

By MAXINE SHEN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 22:23 EDT, 25 April 2020 | UPDATED: 02:23 EDT, 26 April 2020

View comments

About 1,000 cadets are expected to return to the United States Military Academy at West Point campus so President Trump can deliver the June graduation address.   
Cadets have been taking classes remotely since leaving the West Point campus - located in New York state, the epicenter of the US coronavirus outbreak - when their spring break began on March 6.  
Now the academy is now planning to bring back about 1,000 cadets to campus to attend the June 13 graduation ceremony. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27656836-8257711-image-a-31_1587867356848

+6

West Point academy officials said that 1,000 cadets will be brought back to campus in time for President Trump to deliver the 2020 commencement address in June. Cadets are pictured at the 2019 graduation ceremony

RELATED ARTICLES

• Previous

• Next

• The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27651008-0-image-m-14_1587851782238Not worth my time! Trump cancels daily briefing and moans...The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27650338-0-image-a-13_1587850392037America is set to eclipse the White House's 'best-case...

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Trump revealed during a White House Coronavirus Task Force briefing last week that he will be giving West Point's commencement address. He had previously delivered graduation speeches at the Naval, Coast Guard and Air Force academies.   
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27660270-8257711-image-a-98_1587880756258
'And I assume they're — they've got it, and I understand they'll have distancing. They'll have some big distance, and so it'll be very different than it ever looked,' Trump said of what he expects the West Point graduation will look like under coronavirus protocols. 
'Do I like the look? No, I don't. And eventually, next year, they'll have a commencement which will be like it's been, like when people like this — our great Admiral, who has done such a great job. When he graduated from where he graduated — me too — we were nice and tight. And that's going to happen again.' 
In a press release issued April 22, West Point said that safety considerations would determine 'the size and scope of the graduation ceremony,' according to CBS News
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27656800-8257711-President_Trump_is_pictured_at_the_Air_Force_Academy_s_graduatio-a-96_1587880744423

+6

President Trump is pictured at the Air Force Academy's graduation where he spoke in 2019. He has also given the commencement addresses at the Naval and Coast Guard acadamies
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27656808-8257711-image-a-35_1587867409311

+6

During a press conference last week, Trump noted how different the West Point graduation ceremony would look from years past. Air Force Academy students are pictured at their April 20 graduation ceremony, which featured Vice President Pence as the speaker
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27656816-8257711-West_Point_graduates_are_show_throwing_their_hats_into_the_air_d-a-4_1587869850051

+6

West Point graduates are show throwing their hats into the air during their 2019 graduation
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27659996-8257711-image-a-99_1587880772320

+6

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27659988-8257711-image-a-100_1587880782254

+6

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27660000-8257711-image-a-101_1587880792742

The academy's anticipated return of about 1,000 cadets was expected to have a 'movement window starting at the end of May back to West Point,' but noted that details were still being worked out.    
The cadets would be scheduled to arrive at West Point in small groups and then 'subjected to a detailed COVID screening, testing, quarantine, and integration plan where they will execute out-processing, commissioning, and pre-officer basic tasks,' officials said. 
If they test negative for coronavirus, the students would be allowed to move back into the dorms, where prevailing CDC and Department of Defense coronavirus guidance would be followed.
The US Army has given the academy coronavirus testing equipment which will enable cadets to be tested within a matter of hours. 
The academy has not yet determined whether family members would be allowed to attend the graduation ceremony, which officials said would 'look different' from past ceremonies due to the 'current social health force protection measures.'  
At the very least, however, West Point would broadcast the ceremony.  
It's unclear when the remaining cadets would be allowed back on campus.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 26 Apr 2020, 18:08

All this for a man who lied to get out of serving his country .

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 26 Apr 2020, 19:10

annemarie wrote:WWHS too early to laugh so hard. Those were priceless

Quiet right, I know what you mean Thumbs up! ... I’ll move to a special tread...
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 26 Apr 2020, 21:31

Just saw that drumpf's cancelling his nightly pressers because they're not worth the time and effort since everyone in the media gives him a hard time about what he says. Maybe if he said something that made sense they wouldn't give him so much grief.

My personal feeling is that his staff told him to STFU!!! because every time he opens his mouth he shoots himself in the foot. If they let him keep giving medical advice to his base, none of them will be left alive in November to vote for him.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 26 Apr 2020, 21:52

party animal - not! wrote:https://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/firms-trump-links-or-worth-100-million-got-small-business-n1190741?cid=eml_nbn_20200424

..and it just keeps coming. No shame

No shame is right!  Trump has never been shamed by anything he’s done.  Biden has so much ammunition to use against Trump just regarding the pandemic.  Biden must be tough and relentless in his criticism.  As opposed to Trump he’ll have the truth on his side.  Trump has proven once again how inept he is at his job.  A not so Democratic leaning opinion writer today headlined her piece “The unfittest just keeps surviving” and went on to write about Trump’s idiotic remarks about injecting light and disinfectant into the body to treat coronavirus.  Trump has proven himself nothing less than a snake-oil salesman.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Sun 26 Apr 2020, 21:57

Right  Rolling Eyes

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 27 Apr 2020, 14:07

[size=34]Jared Kushner says pandemic has 'vindicated' President Trump's calls for border security and shows the need to keep manufacturing in the US[/size]

• Jared Kushner said coronavirus 'vindicated' President Trump on border security

• Senior White House adviser said virus showed manufacturing needs to stay in US

• He said various industries 'want to move manufacturing onshore' due to the virus

• Kushner hopes five million coronavirus tests will be carried out by end of April

By CHRIS DYER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 04:11 EDT, 27 April 2020 | UPDATED: 08:39 EDT, 27 April 2020

Jared Kushner said the coronavirus crisis has 'vindicated' President Trump's efforts to secure the borders and return manufacturing to the US.
The senior White House adviser and the president's son-in-law believes it will be hard for Trump's political opponents to attack him on the issue of border security due to the spread of the pandemic.
Kushner, who has been part of the Coronavirus Taskforce charged with ensuring supply chains of medical equipment reach hospitals, claimed the virus showed the US needs to control its own manufacturing.
Speaking to Fox News in a rare interview on the The Next Revolution, Kushner added that Trump's presidential campaign message that the borders are a national security issue has been made stronger by the virus outbreak.
He told host Steve Hilton: 'I think the campaign platform that President Trump ran on in 2016 which was basically - ''you have to secure your borders and you have to control your own manufacturing as a national security issue'' - I think those have been totally vindicated positions from the virus and I doubt it will be easy for people to argue against them in the future.' 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27695710-8260211-Jared_Kushner_described_Trump_s_2016_campaign_as_having_been_vin-a-47_1587989803270

+10

Jared Kushner described Trump's 2016 campaign as having been 'vindicated' in a interview with Fox News' The Next Revolution
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27692108-8260211-image-a-10_1587974922590

+10

Senior Advisor to the President Jared Kushner speaking at a daily briefing on the coronavirus, in the Brady Briefing Room at the White House, flanked by President Donald Trump
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27692116-8260211-image-a-44_1587989802501

+10

Kushner added that while trying to procure personal protective equipment (PPE) and ventilators, he was told by various industries they 'want to move manufacturing onshore'.
He also said the pandemic has renewed President Trump's calls to make the US a 'leader in advanced manufacturing'.
Kushner said: 'If you look at why it [manufacturing] went overseas before, it's because people were a big cost of manufacturing.
'Now, it's really robots...the personnel component of manufacturing has actually gone down but we've lost a lot of the capability here in America to be the leader in advanced manufacturing and President Trump is very committed to making sure that over the next couple of years, America regains their ability to be the leading global advanced manufacturer. I think we will see a lot of that happening.'
Trump has come under fire for not reacting quickly enough to the virus threat and not setting up a system of testing on a federal level. 
Kushner hopes the US will have carried out around five million coronavirus tests by the end of this month.
He told Hilton: 'We figured out how to really stimulate that supply. We believe by the month of April we will have close to five million tests that will be performed. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27701382-8260211-image-a-26_1587990175424

+10

Jared Kushner (pictured above) departing his home in Washington DC this morning. In a Fox News interview yesterday he claimed the virus showed the US needs to control its own manufacturing
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27680654-8260211-Atlas_Air_planes_delivering_medical_supplies_including_130_000_N-a-41_1587989801268

+10

Atlas Air planes delivering medical supplies including 130,000 N95 respirators, 1.8 million face masks and gowns, 10.3 million gloves, and over 70,000 thermometers at the end of last month 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27692106-8260211-A_prone_team_wearing_personal_protective_equipment_PPE_turning_a-a-42_1587989801792

+10

A 'prone team' wearing personal protective equipment (PPE), turning a COVID-19 patient onto his stomach in a Stamford Hospital intensive care unit (ICU) in Stamford, Connecticut
'We're anticipating for the month of May, the number we were originally asked to do, we can exceed it...we think we can double that number and we should have more than ample amount of tests in the market for the month of May.'
Kushner said the White House, alongside the Department of Health and Human Services, has been working with governors to develop their own testing strategy on a local level. 
He added: 'The limiting factor is not going to be swabs or reagents or transport media, it's going to be the different states' ability to collect the samples and do it in an efficient way.
'We feel really good. We've eliminated a lot of problems when it comes to testing and I think we will continue to see it do better and better over the coming weeks.'
Yesterday a a top official claimed five million face masks ordered by the Veterans Health Administration to protect staff amid the ongoing pandemic were unexpectedly seized be the Federal Emergency Management Agency. 
Health care workers at VA hospitals have sounded the alarm about PPE shortages in facilities across the United States.
Staff members at these facilities have been tasked with caring for a vulnerable veteran community that tend to be older and exhibit underlying health conditions.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27692114-8260211-image-a-45_1587989802884

+10

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27694204-8260211-Funeral_directors_loading_the_body_of_a_coronavirus_victim_who_i-a-46_1587989803134

+10

Funeral directors loading the body of a coronavirus victim, who is to be cremated in Buffalo, onto a truck in preparation for transport, outside Gerald J. Neufeld Funeral Home in Elmhurst, New York, yesterday 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27693970-8260211-White_House_senior_advisors_Ivanka_Trump_and_Jared_Kushner_arriv-a-49_1587989803789

+10

White House senior advisors Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner arriving at Hyderabad House in New Delhi during a visit to India in February
[size=10][size=18]Jared Kushner gets masks to NYC hospitals at Trump demand

Lo
[/size][/size]

As doctors scramble to stay ahead of global health crisis, the Executive in Charge of Veterans Health Administration revealed a shipment containing millions of face masks were diverted by FEMA. 
During his interview with Fox, Kushner also announced a federal effort to supply nursing homes and other vulnerable communities with additional test kits and PPE.
He added that he is focused on 'the inner cities and indigenous populations' and has 'been working very hard to make sure they have adequate testing and PPE disproportionate to where vulnerable populations are to where there are less vulnerable populations''

Kushner said: 'I don't want to get ahead of any specific announcements, but Admiral John Polowczyk [the supply chain task force lead at FEMA] has been focused very much on getting stuff to the different places that need it and nursing homes in different areas where people are vulnerable has been a place where we really tried to surge.'
Tensions around the Strategic National Stockpile were first publicly realized after Jared Kushner, a White House senior adviser and COVID-19 task force member, suggested federal stockpiles of protective supplies cannot be used by states.
The Strategic National Stockpiles website stated that it was meant to assist states during health crises, but quickly pivoted after Kushner spoke to match with what he said. 
Some areas of the Us have begun to look towards easing their lockdowns as new infections start to drop.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27694146-8260211-President_Donald_Trump_speaking_about_the_coronavirus_in_the_Jam-a-43_1587989802236

+10

President Donald Trump speaking about the coronavirus in the James Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House in Washington last week
[size=18]Surge in queries about injecting disinfectant after Trump comments

Load
[/size]

Kushner urged Americans to 'take all the learnings from this virus and figure out how we can be more prepared for the future'.
He told Fox: 'Now, the goal is not to make this a political issue and figure out how we can come together to really onshore. 
'What we've been doing at the federal government is figuring out how do we aggregate a lot of the different demand in different key industries that are critical for our national security. 
'We're thinking of ways right now to redo our stockpile given the nature of the hospital system and the medical distribution system and figure out how we can take all the learnings from this virus and figure out how we can be more prepared for the future.
'By slowing the spread and flattening the curve, that has given us time to really develop search hospital capacity plans, we have enough ventilators, we have a ton of spare hospital capacity and in addition, we have a lot of PPE.
'We're onshoring a lot of these industries, working to make sure we're never reliant on foreign supplies again, and the doctors have learned more about how to treat this.' 
He added: 'I would say the most important thing is the behavioral changes. People are washing their hands and wearing masks and I think we're learning how to live with this in a much better way which will enable us, at least the people who are not high-risk to start going back to work in a phased and responsible approach.'
[size=18]Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner arrive at World Economic Forum event

[/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 27 Apr 2020, 14:13

Is it a shock that Ivanka married an idiot just like her father.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 27 Apr 2020, 14:20

And this is one rule for some, and another for others I think. He has huge investments all over the world including those wonderful believers in freedom of speech, Saudi Arabia - and his wife imports millions of products made in China!

And I'm willing to bet that the MAGA hats were made there..........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 27 Apr 2020, 14:54

It's nice to know that they want to increase the US's share of the international manufacturing market by giving more jobs to robots. I wonder how that would go over with all his out-of-work blue-collar-worker supporters who thought he'd get those manufacturing jobs back for them.

I want to know what FEMA is doing with all the medical equipment and PPE they're seizing. This has been in the news for a couple of weeks at least, but I haven't seen an explanation yet.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 27 Apr 2020, 15:46

As I understand it, Lizzy, they are taking it away from states and selling it abroad instead:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-admin-seizing-ppe/

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 27 Apr 2020, 16:56

PAN - Snopes doesn't say that DHS or FEMA are selling the equipment, though it wouldn't surprise me if they are. I still want to hear the official version of what they're doing with what they're confiscating and why they think doing this without public oversight is ok.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Mon 27 Apr 2020, 19:40

Supreme Court requires government to pay health insurers under Affordable Care Act
Richard Wolf
USA TODAY
[url=http://twitter.com/share?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2Fpolitics%2F2020%2F04%2F27%2Faffordable-care-act-supreme-court-health-insurers-12-billion%2F4935142002%2F&text=Supreme Court requires government to pay health insurers under Affordable Care][/url]

WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court ruled Monday that Congress cheated health insurance companies by reneging on a $12 billion promise made under the Affordable Care Act.
The decision represents the high court's views on Congress' power of the purse: Lawmakers cannot promise funding in legislation and then disavow that pledge.
Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote the 8-1 opinion on the basis of "a principle as old as the nation itself: The Government should honor its obligations."
Associate Justice Samuel Alito dissented, calling it "a massive bailout for insurance companies that took a calculated risk and lost."
These are the most important decisions before the Supreme Court this year.
Because insurers took considerable risks when they agreed to participate in Obamacare's marketplaces, the original 2010 law included limits on the amount of losses they could incur. But when the bill came due to cover some of those losses several years later, the government refused to pay.

Because insurers took considerable risks when they agreed to participate in Obamacare's marketplaces, the original 2010 law included limits on the amount of losses they could incur. But when the bill came due to cover some of those losses several years later, the government refused to pay.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 A6ce56dc-2192-4891-b464-72bb747e5323-XXX_FILE_USA_HEALTH_CARE_OBAMACARE
Paul Clement, the former U.S. solicitor general representing the insurers, called it a $12-billion "bait and switch." But a federal appeals court ruled that Congress had the right not to appropriate the funds.
During oral argument in December, Chief Justice John Roberts said the insurers "would not have participated in the risk corridor program but for the government's promise to pay."

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 27 Apr 2020, 20:55

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52417610

Coronavirus: The US resistance to a continued lockdown
By Aleem MaqboolBBC News

• 27 April 2020

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _111974239_freedom_976gettyImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES
In these times, the sight of a public gathering of hundreds of people mostly without face masks is alarming.
But that is what happened at a demonstration against the shutdown measures in Washington State.
"We believe that the state governor has gone beyond his constitutional authority in shutting down businesses and ordering people to stay at home," organiser Tyler Miller says from the grounds of the state capitol.
In mid-March, Washington Governor Jay Inslee announced an emergency proclamation mirroring many issued around the world; closing restaurants and bars and banning large gatherings.
But protesters say that was unconstitutional.
"The state constitution says that the right of the people to peaceably assemble shall never be abridged. We believe that the (emergency coronavirus) proclamations that the governor here ordered violate that," Mr Miller says.
Mr Miller said he was not protesting against the recommendations from the public health bodies and respected the need to 'flatten the curve'.
"I even self-quarantined for 14 days back at the very beginning of this myself, when I had an illness that mirrored some of the symptoms," he says.
"The fact I am protesting does not mean I think it is a good idea to have gatherings, I just believe that the government has no authority to prohibit them."

• What's behind the anti-lockdown protests in US?
  • The moment a man in scrubs confronts protester

Throughout the crisis, Mr Miller has also been able to continue his work as an engineering technician with the US Navy.
He says the thing that has angered him is what he feels is an un-American overreach of power by the Democratic governor.
The restrictions differ from state to state, and about 20 states have had protests against the measures. These demonstrations vary in size from a few dozen people to thousands.
They come as the US finds itself still very much in the grip of this crisis.

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 P08bbs8v

Media caption'We want our lives back now,' say protesters
There has not yet been a sustained drop in the numbers of US deaths linked to Covid-19 and yet the clamour to lift restrictions is coming not just from those taking to the streets but from politicians too.
"The hysteria that surrounded the coronavirus from the beginning was disproportionate," says Rick Becker, of North Dakota.
"There was an overreaction by state governments with regard to mandatory shut downs, shelter in place, and so forth," he says.
When it is put to the state representative that tens of thousands of people have died across the country and that it could have been many more if restrictions were not in place, he dismisses the notion.

• The daunting reality of getting US back to normal

"That is something that you're going to be able to say no matter what; that there may have been more deaths," says Mr Becker, who is also a qualified doctor.
"You're taking the 'if it saves just one life' argument, and I would say that if I would drive 20mph instead of 50mph, it's possible that I might not kill somebody, and you can look at all aspects of our lives that way. But our whole way of life in this country would collapse and we can't live life that way."

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 P087v98q

Media captionCoronavirus: Millions of Americans unemployed
In neighbouring South Dakota, one of those who died with the coronavirus was Bob Glanzer, a state representative.
"He was a very caring, giving, listening type of individual and certainly faith was a big part of his life. He's going to be sorely missed in the legislature," says party colleague Jean Hunhoff.
Representative Hunhoff describes how she and other legislative members lined the route of Mr Glanzer's funeral procession waving American and South Dakota flags.
There were social distancing measures in place for the commemorations, even though South Dakota is one of a handful of states where a state-wide stay at home order has never been imposed.
"I support the decisions of our governor. She laid out guidelines and then really left the decisions up to local communities," says Jean Hunhoff, who also has a public health background.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _105894347_grey_line-nc

Read more from Aleem

• Killed by a virus he thought had been overhyped
  • Why US could be more at risk from coronavirus
  • One case lays bare America's testing failure
  • Why are African Americans hit so hard by virus?

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _105894347_grey_line-nc
"I am a registered nurse and I believe it is data that should drive decision making and I think we have done that here. It is easy to stand on the outside and post judgment."
There has been criticism of states like South Dakota that have refused to issue state-wide shut down directives in spite of coronavirus outbreaks there.
Polls show the majority of Americans are still in favour of measures imposed to try to curb the spread of the virus. And some are vehemently opposed to the protests.
Mary Turner, a nurse leader in an intensive care unit in Minnesota, describes them as a "kick in the teeth" because of the risks she and her colleagues are taking.
"These protests here are so discouraging. With no one doing social distancing or wearing masks, and they all say they are outraged. I don't know if this is a problem anywhere else in the world."
But the placards at the demonstrations decrying government interference suggest those involved feel there are bigger issues at stake than public health.
"Scepticism of the government is a deep strain in America. It waxes and wanes - though we're in a period where it's been waxing for quite a while," says Theda Skocpol, author and professor of government and sociology at Harvard University.
With regard to the anti-shutdown protests, Professor Skocpol says it is political beliefs and not economics that have definitely been the driving force.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _109028083_1px_white_line-ncThe Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _111165274_cps_web_banner_top_640x3-nc

• The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _111165255_cps_web_banner_bottom_640x3-nc

She cautions against the notion that they are an organic reaction to the crisis, feeling instead that there is a level of national organisation.
"You don't see the US Chamber of Commerce in the vanguard here. These are ideological forces at play, with some professionally run conservative advocacy groups behind the protests," Professor Skocpol says.
"Their cause is to make sure Americans don't become too trusting of government. They don't worry whether the motives of the people on the ground are exactly the same as theirs. They're probably not. I think most of the people at the protests are just passionate Donald Trump supporters."
While some at the protests say they are there because they are losing money during the shutdown, Trump 2020 flags, hats and shirts have been very evident, particularly at the large demonstrations in states run by Democratic governors. They have taken on the look of small Trump rallies.
The politicians most vocally calling for the shutdown to be lifted now, like Dr Rick Becker of North Dakota, are mainly Republicans. All of the governors who did not impose stay at home orders, like the governor of South Dakota, also belong to the president's party.
While the GOP does have its libertarian streak, Professor Skocpol feels that there is more to it than that, and that many of the people and politicians protesting are taking their cues from the president.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _111973080_gettyimages-1221079825Image copyrightSTAR TRIBUNE VIA GETTY IMAGESImage captionProtesters outside the Minnesota governor's mansion show their opposition to the lockdowns
"Donald Trump is really not all that secretive about what he's thinking, he sort of says it. I think that there's a lot of evidence that he's worried that this terrible pandemic and his handling of the early stages, combined with the economic impact, could sink his presidency," she says.
"You can't expect him, his party and those who support him to sit back and take that lightly, so what is plan B or C? It is to go from blaming Obama, the Chinese, the WHO, to now blaming those who are leaving restrictions in place."
Indeed, over recent weeks, Donald Trump has openly supported the protesters.
But mixed messages from the White House have been a feature of this crisis. After signalling that he wanted some Democratic-run states "liberated" and opened up, the president then said he was "unhappy" when the Republican governor of Georgia made the decision to reopen the economy.
With many hundreds still dying of the virus here each day, state governors are in the tough position of trying to make the right decisions to keep people safe.
But it is the face of a deadly virus on the one hand and massive economic and political pressure on the other.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 27 Apr 2020, 20:59

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52405275

Coronavirus stimulus: Where $1,200 payments are going - food, bidets, guns
By Boer Deng & Chelsea BaileyBBC News, Washington

• 24 April 2020

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _111928506_gettyimages-1214779323Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Millions of Americans have been promised stimulus payments of up to $1,200 as part of the federal government's rescue package. We asked them what they will spend it on.
As grim economic pictures emerge alongside the steep toll of the health crisis, a $2tn government aid package that promises to give money to 150 million Americans has got off the ground.
Of those who qualify, many are expecting to receive $1,200 (£975), but how far that cash will stretch - and the difference it will make to its recipients - is not the same.
Readers of the BBC News website explained what they would do with it.

'I've got to spend it now'

Many said immediate spending on necessities would account for all or most of their stimulus payment.
"[The] $1,200 will be spent on food, very carefully counting every cent because food is very expensive," wrote Pearl Quintal, a grandmother from Hawaii.
"I will buy what we need, not spending it all at once. I will save some to make ends meet as far as $1,200 will carry myself and my two grandsons that I have been taking care of."
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _111928508_gettyimages-1210300916Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Economists expect that spending on basics like food, medicine and housing will be the most common uses of the aid money. That is the intention of the cheques - to "plug holes in people's balance sheets," says Stan Veuger of the American Enterprise Institute think tank. But for Americans who have lost jobs and live in high-cost parts of the country, it will not be enough.
Median rental costs per month for a one-bedroom flat in cities like New York, San Francisco and Boston are more than double the $1,200 stimulus amount for an individual, who must make less than $75,000 to qualify for the full cheque.

• Coronavirus job losses and 'the millennial curse'
  • The Americans who can't wash their hands at home

Despite a crash in demand that usually brings down prices, the cost of US consumer goods spiked in February, while cost has risen for groceries.
"I would buy food and medicine," said Gerry Adams of Tampa, Florida. "And I would try to pay my car insurance without begging for help."
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _111918510_gerryadamsImage copyrightGERRY ADAMSImage captionGerry Adams of Florida says he will use the money to pay for food and medicine, for which he faces expensive bills.
"Everything I need, the price has gone up, except for gasoline," wrote Mr Adams, 52, who requires an oxygen tank to help him breathe. "This is no way to live life," he said.

'I'm buying a gun'

For some Americans, a cheque from the government is not a lifeline but a bonus that can be put toward discretionary rather than essential expenses.
Paul Headley, a reader from Annandale, Virginia, told the BBC he would spend his stimulus on a Tavor SAR rifle. The Israeli-made firearm retails at $1,990. Mr Headley and his wife have both received their government cheques.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _111918514_husbandandwifeImage copyrightPAUL HEADLEYImage captionPaul Headley and his wife
The nearly $2,000 price tag gave him pause on making the purchase before, Mr Headley said, but "the stimulus cheque is making the out-of-pocket easier to justify".

Bidet

Another reader said the crisis has prompted his family to reconsider their washroom habits. After witnessing the panic-buying of toilet paper spurred by the virus, his family decided to use the stimulus money to buy bidets, said Dirk Ducharme of Auburn, California.
"Toilet paper shortages have convinced me that the Japanese and most Europeans had it right all along," he told the BBC.
For some Americans, a boost in discretionary spending provides a chance to express their values.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _111928510_gettyimages-1219207029Image copyrightGETTY IMAGESImage captionToilet paper shortages have led one BBC reader invest in a bidet
"Yesterday I listened to Barack Obama's message to everyone and his endorsement of Joe Biden," said a reader in Missouri. "This morning when the stimulus money was received I donated it to Mr Biden's campaign."
Several readers said they would donate the money to coronavirus response-related charities, or people they know in direct need of the assistance.

'It's going into savings'

Gloomy predictions about the US economy and fear among even those with jobs that their livelihoods are far from secure is prompting some Americans to vow to save the money from their cheques.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _111918512_alisonweaverImage copyrightALISON WEAVERImage captionAlison Weaver, 35, is a grocery store worker in Michigan
Alison Weaver, a grocery store employee, said she would save her $1,200 because she is worried that being exposed on the job might mean that "I get ill and be unable to work".
"It would be nice to pay down student loans or fix our leaking foundation," said Michael Jonagan of St Louis, Missouri. But his family plan to save their cheque because "it feels more important to keep the money set aside for a future that seems more and more uncertain".
"I'm a public educator and my partner is a municipal employee, so even in the best of times saving is a challenge," he said. "Hopefully this money lasts until it is needed."
The stimulus will boost savings for some people, like pensioners on fixed incomes and people lucky enough to have kept their jobs with no loss of money coming in, plus a little extra. Pensioners, especially, have fewer places where they can spend and so more likely to save, predicted Dr Veuger.
"Like with so many things here, those who need assistance the least seem to get it most easily," reader Adam Stokes observed. Mr Stokes and his wife live in Mundelein, Illinois, and have received $2,400 together, most of which will be saved.
"We'll each take $100 and use that on hobbies or entertainment - all of our critical needs are more than covered. My graduate school is even offering a $1,500 voucher for a class I was already going to take, so that is effectively another $1,500 back for us."
This pandemic has done much to highlight the stark class divides in our society, he added. "And I know I am on the considerably more secure side of that divide."

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 27 Apr 2020, 21:03

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52436658

Coronavirus: New Zealand claims no community cases as lockdown eases

• 5 hours ago

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 P08blfw0

[size=13]Media captionPM Jacinda Ardern announces that New Zealand has stopped community transmission

New Zealand says it has stopped community transmission of Covid-19, effectively eliminating the virus.
With new cases in single figures for several days - one on Sunday - Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the virus was "currently" eliminated.
But officials have warned against complacency, saying it does not mean a total end to new coronavirus cases.
The news came hours before New Zealand moved out of its toughest level of social restrictions.
From Tuesday, some non-essential business, healthcare and education activity will be able to resume.
Most people will still be required to remain at home at all times and avoid all social interactions.
[/size]

"We are opening up the economy, but we're not opening up people's social lives," Ms Ardern said at the daily government briefing.
New Zealand has reported fewer than 1,500 confirmed or probable cases of coronavirus and 19 deaths.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _111165274_cps_web_banner_top_640x3-nc

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _111165255_cps_web_banner_bottom_640x3-nc
New Zealand's Director-General of Health, Ashley Bloomfield, said the low number of new cases in recent days "does give us confidence that we have achieved our goal of elimination".
He warned that "elimination" did not mean there would be no new cases "but it does mean we know where our cases are coming from".
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _111975433_1ed2188a-e522-4ef6-a57c-dfacfa8f8019Image copyrightAFPImage captionNew Zealand brought in very tough restrictions on travel and activity early on in the pandemic
Ms Ardern said there was "no widespread undetected community transmission in New Zealand", adding: "We have won that battle."
But she said the country "must remain vigilant if we are to keep it that way".

How did New Zealand respond to the virus?

The country brought in some of the toughest restrictions in the world on travel and activity early on in the pandemic, when it only had a few dozen cases.
It closed its borders, started enforcing quarantine of all arrivals in the country, brought in a stringent lockdown and mounted an extensive testing and contact tracing operation.
Beaches, waterfronts and playgrounds were shut on 26 March, as were offices and schools. Bars and restaurants were also closed, including for takeaway and delivery.
Ms Ardern said modelling indicated New Zealand could have had more than 1,000 cases a day if it had not brought in the lockdown so early.
She said the country could never know how bad it would have been but that "through our cumulative actions we have avoided the worst".
New Zealand's remote location and easily sealable borders played in its favour when the virus broke out, experts say.
But the government has also been praised for the clarity of its messaging throughout the crisis.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 _111976207_gettyimages-1221083499-1Image copyrightGETTY IMAGESImage captionNew Zealand brought in tough restrictions, such as closing pubs and bars, early on in the pandemic
At midnight local time (12:00 GMT on Monday), New Zealand moved from Level Four lockdown to Level Three. That means most businesses will be able to reopen - including restaurants for takeaways - but not those involving face-to-face contact.
New Zealanders are being told to stick to their "bubble" - a small group of close friends or family - and to stay 2m (6ft) away from people.
Mass gatherings are still banned, shopping centres remain closed and most children will remain away from school. New Zealand's border will remain closed.

What's happening in Australia?

In Australia, the rise in infections has also slowed considerably in recent weeks. There were just 16 new cases recorded on Sunday.
Much like in New Zealand, its government has been praised for its response to the crisis and opinion polls show that trust in the country's leadership has risen.
Restrictions are easing in some areas, with some states planning to relax social distancing rules to permit larger outdoor gatherings this week.
In Queensland from Saturday, people will be free to go shopping for clothes, have a picnic in the park or go for a swim at the beach as long as it is within a 40-minute drive from home.
Western Australia is also joining South Australia in expanding the national two-person limit on gatherings to 10 people.
However, most Australians are still required to stay at home unless they have essential work, shopping or exercise reasons to go out.

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 P08bdrlt

Media captionWATCH: What is contact tracing and how does it work?
More than a million Australians also downloaded a coronavirus contact tracing app within hours of it being released by the government.
Users of the app will be notified if they have had more than 15 minutes of close contact with another user who tests positive for Covid-19.
There are reports that Australia and New Zealand are considering opening up travel between them but no decision has been made.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 27 Apr 2020, 21:44

Interesting decision by the Supreme Court and Sonia Sotomayor, the judge Amal worked for and now friend of the Clooneys......

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Mon 27 Apr 2020, 21:48

party animal - not! wrote:Interesting decision by the Supreme Court and Sonia Sotomayor, the judge Amal worked for and now friend of the Clooneys......
Right affraid

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 27 Apr 2020, 22:10

party animal - not! wrote:As I understand it, Lizzy, they are taking it away from states and selling it abroad instead:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-admin-seizing-ppe/

Wherever these PPE supplies are going the actions by the feds are outrageous.  States were told by Trump that they were on their own to get their own PPE - not the federal government’s responsibility.  So states and even hospitals had to do all the grunt work AND pay to acquire much needed supplies. Then the feds swoop in and confiscate the shipments - kind of like piracy.  And there seems to be a pattern of confiscation of supplies from mostly blue states (Illinois, NY, California, Massachusetts, Colorado).  Whether these supplies are being sold overseas to the highest bidder or more realistically to red states that Trump needs to win re-election in November it’s just another corrupted move by this administration.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 28 Apr 2020, 01:46

https://people.com/health/states-report-spike-in-poison-control-calls-after-trump-disinfectant-comments/

[size=48]States Report Spike in Poison Control Calls After Trump's Comments About Injecting Disinfectant
President Donald Trump recently asked his coronavirus task force about possibly injecting patients with disinfectant to treat COVID-19
By Claudia Harmata 
April 26, 2020 08:00 PM
[/size]
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F20%2F2020%2F04%2F26%2Fcleaning-products[url=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/link/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fhealth%2Fstates-report-spike-in-poison-control-calls-after-trump-disinfectant-comments%2F%3Futm_source%3Dpinterest.com%26utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial-share-article%26utm_content%3D20200428%26utm_term%3Dundefined&media=https%3A%2F%2Fimagesvc.meredithcorp.io%2Fv3%2Fmm%2Fimage%3Furl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F20%2F2020%2F04%2F26%2Fcleaning-products.jpg&description=States Report Spike in Poison Control Calls After Trump%27s Comments About Injecting Disinfectant][/url]

GETTY IMAGES
States across the country are seeing a spike in poison control calls following President Donald Trump's comments about injecting coronavirus patients with disinfectant to kill the respiratory illness.
According to Mike Ricci, the communications director for Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, the state's Emergency Management Agency saw a surge of over 100 calls inquiring about the president's remarks last week, when he mused about the possibility that disinfectant could be a coronavirus treatment.
Due to the influx of calls, the agency issued an alert to remind residents that “under no circumstances should any disinfectant product be administered into the body through injection, ingestion or any other route.”
Similarly, New York City saw an increase in "cases of exposure to Lysol, bleach & other cleaners in 18 hours after Trump’s suggestion," reporter Anna Sanders shared on Twitter, who said the N.Y.C. Poison Control Center saw 30 cases dealing with household cleaners, disinfectants and bleach.

"That’s more than double during same period in 2019, per health dept," Sanders wrote. "Thankfully no hospitalizations or deaths."

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 AeYfR1b7_normal

Mike Ricci@riccimike

· Apr 24, 2020

[ltr]DISINFECTANT. A message from the Maryland Emergency Management Agency: https://twitter.com/MDMEMA/status/1253721510570844162 …[/ltr]

Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MDMEMA)

✔@MDMEMA

ALERTThe Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 1f6a8: We have received several calls regarding questions about disinfectant use and #COVID19.

This is a reminder that under no circumstances should any disinfectant product be administered into the body through injection, ingestion or any other route.

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 AeYfR1b7_normal

Mike Ricci@riccimike

[ltr]We decided to take the step of posting this alert after receiving more than 100 calls to our hotline.[/ltr]

12:39 PM - Apr 24, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

[ltr]

484 people are talking about this

[/ltr]

RELATED: Lysol Makers and Doctors Warn Against Injecting Disinfectants After Trump Comments

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 SPrxIx4U_normal

Anna Sanders The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 1f308The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 1f48c

✔@AnnaESanders

[ltr]NYC Poison Control Center saw 30 cases of exposure to Lysol, bleach & other cleaners in 18 hours after Trump’s suggestion disinfectant might be used to treat coronavirus

That’s more than double during same period in 2019, per health dept

Thankfully no hospitalizations or deaths[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 EWZ1IKVXkAEpKjM?format=jpg&name=small

6:49 PM - Apr 24, 2020

[ltr]

7,277 people are talking about this

[/ltr]

Meanwhile, the Illinois Poison Center has had two specific calls following Trump's comments, Danny Chun, a communications and marketing employee at the center, told Fox News. However, he said the state saw a 36 percent increase in calls in March concerning "inappropriate use of disinfectants and cleansers."
“A 36 percent increase overall since March is a huge increase," he said. "People were doing this already.”
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently released a joint study with the American Association of Poison Control Centers that supports Chun.
"During January–March 2020, poison centers received 45,550 exposure calls related to cleaners (28,158) and disinfectants (17,392), representing overall increases of 20.4%," the agency said. "The daily number of calls to poison centers increased sharply at the beginning of March 2020 for exposures to both cleaners and disinfectants."

RELATED: Federal Officials Backpedal After Trump Suggests Injecting Disinfectant Will Kill COVID-19
During a news briefing last week, Trump speculated whether treating patients with an ultraviolet light or injecting them with disinfectant was a viable treatment to rid people of the deadly virus.
“I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute," he said. "Is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that.”
His remarks came mid-briefing after William Bryan, the undersecretary for science and technology at the Department of Homeland Security, gave a presentation on an ongoing study that shows heat, humidity and sunlight might break down the novel coronavirus at a faster rate than when it lives in a colder environment.

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F20%2F2020%2F04%2F24%2Ftrump-coronavirus-briefing-3[url=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/link/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fhealth%2Fstates-report-spike-in-poison-control-calls-after-trump-disinfectant-comments%2F%3Futm_source%3Dpinterest.com%26utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial-share-article%26utm_content%3D20200428%26utm_term%3Dundefined&media=https%3A%2F%2Fimagesvc.meredithcorp.io%2Fv3%2Fmm%2Fimage%3Furl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F20%2F2020%2F04%2F24%2Ftrump-coronavirus-briefing-3.jpg&description=States Report Spike in Poison Control Calls After Trump%27s Comments About Injecting Disinfectant][/url]

President Donald Trump speaks to reporters at Thursday’s coronavirus task force briefing.

Bryan also said bleach and other disinfectants like isopropyl alcohol have been shown to kill the virus in saliva and other respiratory fluids — “with no manipulation, no rubbing, just spraying it on and letting it go. You rub it and it goes away even faster.”
After Trump's comments, Reckitt Benckiser, the makers of Lysol, put out a statement imploring people not to use their products as a treatment.
“As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route),” the company said. “As with all products, our disinfectant and hygiene products should only be used as intended and in line with usage guidelines.”
Disinfectants such as Lysol or bleach are toxic, and ingesting or injecting them can be fatal.
The American Chemistry Council also released a statement on Friday saying that chlorine bleach “should never be administered inside the body under any circumstances.”
“Chlorine bleach and other disinfectants should never be ingested or injected into the body to treat infections such as COVID-19. Such a practice could be lethal or cause serious bodily harm,” they said.
Trump’s comments also prompted responses from doctors, who urged against trying to treat COVID-19 with disinfectants.
“My concern is that people will die. People will think this is a good idea,” Dr. Craig Spencer, director of global health in emergency medicine at New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center, told The Washington Post. “This is not willy-nilly, off-the-cuff, maybe-this-will-work advice. This is dangerous.”
“This notion of injecting or ingesting any type of cleansing product into the body is irresponsible and it’s dangerous,” Dr. Vin Gupta, a pulmonologist and global health policy expert, told NBC News. “It’s a common method that people utilize when they want to kill themselves.”
The White House has since responded to the controversy, claiming that Trump's comments were being taken “out of context."
“President Trump has repeatedly said that Americans should consult with medical doctors regarding coronavirus treatment, a point that he emphasized again during yesterday’s briefing,” press secretary, Kayleigh McEnany, said in a statement on Friday. “Leave it to the media to irresponsibly take President Trump out of context and run with negative headlines.”

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 28 Apr 2020, 14:27

[size=48]Trump 'Can't Imagine Why' There's Spike in Poison Control Calls After His Disinfectant Comments
"No, I don't," said the president on whether he takes responsibility for the increase in poison control calls about his disinfectant comments
By Benjamin VanHoose 
April 28, 2020 08:40 AM

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F20%2F2020%2F04%2F28%2Fdonald-trump-1[url=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/link/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fpolitics%2Ftrump-says-he-cant-imagine-why-spike-in-people-ingesting-disinfectant-after-encouraging-it%2F%3Futm_source%3Dpinterest.com%26utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial-share-article%26utm_content%3D20200428%26utm_term%3Dundefined&media=https%3A%2F%2Fimagesvc.meredithcorp.io%2Fv3%2Fmm%2Fimage%3Furl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F20%2F2020%2F04%2F28%2Fdonald-trump-1.jpg&description=Trump %27Can%27t Imagine Why%27 There%27s Spike in Poison Control Calls After His Disinfectant Comments][/url]

President Donald Trump during a press conference at the White House on Monday.

MANDEL NGAN/AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES
President Donald Trump says he doesn't see a correlation between his inaccurate comments about disinfectants and the increase in people misusing household cleaners.
On Monday, Trump, 73, was asked about the surge of poison control cases across the country. "I can't imagine why," he responded, feigning ignorance.
When asked a followup on whether he felt responsible for the rise in people misusing disinfectants, given his off-the-cuff comments last week about looking into them as a coronavirus (COVID-19) treatment, Trump said, "No, I don't," before shutting down the question altogether.
The president, last Thursday, bizarrely mused during a press conference about the idea of using disinfectant as a way to fight the respiratory virus.
“I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it [the virus] out in a minute. … Is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning?” he said at the time. “Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that.”

Trump later claimed that his remarks were sarcastic, and the White House said the comments were "out of context" and that the president "has repeatedly said that Americans should consult with medical doctors regarding coronavirus treatment."
Following Trump's public statements about disinfectants, states began reporting increases in poison control calls, including in Maryland, where Gov. Larry Hogan's office said the state's Emergency Management Agency fielded more than 100 calls asking about the president's words.
RELATED: Maryland's Republican Gov. Says He 'Can't Really Explain' President Trump's Disinfectant Comments

[/size]
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 Tw7JPE5v_normal

The Hill

✔@thehill

[ltr]Reporter: "They've seen a spike in people using disinfectants after your comments last week. I know you said they were sarcastic --"

Trump: "I can't imagine why. I can't imagine why."

Reporter: "Do you take any responsibility--?"

Trump: "No, I don't."[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 LH4ir3q1RMVJpoDu?format=jpg&name=small

8:45 PM - Apr 27, 2020

[ltr]

2,170 people are talking about this

[/ltr]

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories

Due to the influx of calls, the agency issued an alert to remind everyone that “under no circumstances should any disinfectant product be administered into the body through injection, ingestion or any other route.”
The president's comments about disinfectants came mid-briefing after William Bryan, the undersecretary for science and technology at the Department of Homeland Security, gave a presentation on an ongoing study that shows heat, humidity and sunlight might possibly break down COVID-19 at a faster rate than when it lives in a colder environment.
Bryan also said bleach and other disinfectants like isopropyl alcohol have been shown to kill the virus in saliva and other respiratory fluids — “with no manipulation, no rubbing, just spraying it on and letting it go. You rub it and it goes away even faster.”
RELATED VIDEO: Trump Claims He Hasn’t Left White House 'in Months' During COVID-19 Crisis, Reporter Corrects Him

Following Trump's comments, the makers of Lysol, Reckitt Benckiser, issued a statement stressing to customers that their products should never be ingested or used as treatments or remedies. Disinfectants such as Lysol or bleach are toxic, and ingesting or injecting them can be fatal.
“As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route),” the company said. “As with all products, our disinfectant and hygiene products should only be used as intended and in line with usage guidelines.”
The American Chemistry Council also released a statement on Friday saying that chlorine bleach “should never be administered inside the body under any circumstances.”
As information about the coronavirus pandemic rapidly changes, PEOPLE is committed to providing the most recent data in our coverage. Some of the information in this story may have changed after publication. For the latest on COVID-19, readers are encouraged to use online resources from CDC, WHO, and local public health departments. PEOPLE has partnered with GoFundMe to raise money for the COVID-19 Relief Fund, a GoFundMe.org fundraiser to support everything from frontline responders to families in need, as well as organizations helping communities. For more information or to donate, click here.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 28 Apr 2020, 15:45

What they don't realise is that they're dealing with a cult. They have to be much more direct:

DO NOT DRINK OR SHOOT UP ANY KIND OF
                      CLEANING PRODUCT OR DISINFECTANT.

IT WILL KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And there will still be some who will do it anyway because their fearless leader said it's ok.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 28 Apr 2020, 16:43

[size=34]Donald Trump says the US will bill China MORE than $160BILLION for coronavirus damage as he claims country could have stopped the spread sooner[/size]

• Asked whether he was considering invoicing China for coronavirus damage like a German newspaper claimed they have, Donald Trump said the US could 

• The German newspaper published details of a $160billion invoice

• Trump said Monday: 'Germany's looking at things, and we're looking at things, and we're talking about a lot more money than Germany's talking about'

• 'We haven't determined the final amount yet. It's very substantial,' Trump added 

• The president said from the White House that they are doing investigations because he believes China could have stopped the coronavirus spread earlier 

• Trump announced federal government will help states conduct virus testing to have businesses open their doors again

By LEAH SIMPSON and CHRIS DYER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 02:10 EDT, 28 April 2020 | UPDATED: 09:22 EDT, 28 April 2020

President Donald Trump said he intends to bill China for a 'substantial' amount for damages caused by the coronavirus.
During a press conference at the White House on Monday, Trump made the threat to China after being asked whether he was considering seeking money from Beijing for its response to the pandemic. 
The idea of seeking reparations from China came after a German newspaper published a mocked-up bill of a $160billion invoice for the impact shutdowns have had on the economy following the spread from Wuhan to Europe.
The president claimed he had a 'much easier' idea and claimed he was planning on obtaining much more than what the Germans were suggesting.
China's role in trying to cover up the extent of the virus when it first came to light has been used to blame the Communist country for the spread of the disease around the world and preventing other countries from being prepared.
President Trump has been one of the most vocal world leaders in attacking the authoritarian regime and has sort to shift culpability from his own administration's response to Beijing. 
'We have ways of doing things a lot easier than that,' Trump told a coronavirus press briefing Monday in Washington DC.  
[size=10][size=18]Trump says US will bill China over financial coronavirus damages

L
[/size][/size]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27732624-8263729-Donald_Trump_said_the_US_could_demand_a_substantial_amount_of_mo-a-5_1588054584802

+14

Donald Trump said the US could demand a 'substantial' amount of money from China for coronavirus damages. 'Germany's looking at things, and we're looking at things, and we're talking about a lot more money than Germany's talking about,' he said Monday in a briefing
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27732526-8263729-Chinese_President_Xi_Jinping_is_pictured_on_April_20_Trump_said_-m-17_1588053591829

+14

Chinese President Xi Jinping is pictured on April 20. Trump said: 'We are not happy with China'
'Germany's looking at things, and we're looking at things, and we're talking about a lot more money than Germany's talking about. 
'We haven't determined the final amount yet. It's very substantial,' Trump added.
Last week German paper Bild calculated an 'invoice' of nearly €150billion (around $162billion) in economic damage to Germany because of the crisis. 
The idea of charging reparations to China is not endorsed by the German government, with Minister of Foreign Affairs Heiko Mass describing the concept as 'illusory'.
Trump's press conference demand for Chinese reparations came days after he threatened via Twitter to cancel the briefings after he stormed out at the weekend after just 22 minutes.

• Donald Trump refuses to take responsibility for spike in people ingesting disinfectant after he spoke about using it as a coronavirus treatment
  • Trump said states should 'seriously consider' reopening their public schools before the end of the academic year
  • President made suggestion even though dozens already have said it would be unsafe for students to return until the summer or fall 
  • On Monday Trump dismissed allegations by Joe Biden that he would try to delay the November election as the US struggles to quell the coronavirus outbreak

At the weekend briefing, a CNN reporter had been asked to move to the back of the room before Trump entered and it is believed her refusal was behind the president cutting short the conference.
Despite a subsequent flurry of angry tweets attacking the media, Trump spoke from the Rose Garden at the White House on Monday addressing the damaged the outbreak has done to the US and the rest of the world.
Coronavirus cases surpassed 1 million in the US on Monday and deaths were more than 56,000. 
Trump's daily press briefings have become more and more contentious in recent days as he rages at reporters and contradicts his scientific advisers.  
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27732520-8263729-image-a-18_1588053632538

+14

Despite bragging about his great relationship with Chinese President Xi Jinping, during the pandemic, on Monday he hinted at possible sanctions
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27738696-8263729-image-a-6_1588064469198

+14

At a press conference on Friday, Trump asked medical experts if the use of disinfectant and ultraviolet light could be investigated as a treatment for the virus.  
During a call with governors yesterday, Trump said states should 'seriously consider' reopening their public schools before the end of the academic year.

Trump refuses to take responsibility for spike in people ingesting disinfectant

President Trump has said he will not take responsibility for an increase in people ingesting disinfectant after he suggested its use as a coronavirus treatment be investigated by scientists.
The president managed to mostly avoid questions about his bizarre Friday statement that claimed discussions were being held about researching injecting people with disinfectants.  
During a briefing that discussed how disinfectants can kill coronavirus on nonporous surfaces, Trump said last week pondered whether there was 'a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning'. 
Household cleaning brands Lysol and Clorox have had to issue statements against ingesting disinfectants.
Trump later claimed he was being 'sarcastic' but on Monday he briefly addressed the matter when asked about Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan's statements that his state was flooded with calls to emergency hotlines from people asking about disinfectants. 
'I can't imagine why,' he said. When probed about whether he takes responsibility, the POTUS replied: 'No, I don't.'

He said this even though dozens of schools already have said it would be unsafe for students to return until the summer or fall.
On Monday at a separate briefing, Trump made cryptic comments indicating that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is alive after conflicting rumors circulated about the dictator's health.
When pressed about the issue, Trump refused to reveal what he knows about Kim's condition, but said he 'just wished him well'.
Despite bragging about his great relationship with Chinese President Xi Jinping, during the pandemic, on Monday he hinted at possible sanctions.
'There are a lot of ways you can hold them accountable,' Trump told the briefing.
'We're doing very serious investigations, as you probably know. And we are not happy with China. We are not happy with that whole situation.
'Because we believe it could have been stopped at the source. It could have been stopped quickly, and it wouldn't have spread all over the world.
'If you look at the world, I mean, this is worldwide damage. This is damage to the US, but this is damage to the world.' 
Coronavirus broke out in Wuhan in November and critics have claimed the country played down the number of people infected. 
Europe became the new epicenter of the virus and as cases began to slow the United States took over with the highest infection rate and deaths anywhere in the world.
Unemployment rates in the US are at an historic high and the economy has taken a massive hit.
The president's fury over the spread of the virus around the globe has also focused on the World Health Organization, as Trump pledged to cut funding to the UN agency.
Trump branded the WHO too 'China-centric' and claimed the agency covered for Beijing's suppression of whistleblowers and praised the Communist regime for its response. 

RELATED ARTICLES

On Friday, China accused the United States of breaching its legal duty towards the WHO after Washington said it would freeze its $500million funding.
The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs dished out the criticism after promising to send $30million more funding to the Geneva-based agency to show its 'support and trust' during the pandemic.

Trump urges states to consider opening schools 

President Donald Trump says states should 'seriously consider' reopening their public schools before the end of the academic year, even though dozens already have said it would be unsafe for students to return until the summer or fall.
Trump made the comments on Monday in a call with governors discussing how to reopen their economies, among other topics.
None of the governors on the call responded to the suggestion, according to a recording obtained by The Associated Press.
Trump made the comments as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention worked to finalize guidelines for reopening the economy. For schools, that included putting students´ desks 6 feet apart, serving meals in the classroom instead of the cafeteria and closing playgrounds.
Reopening schools is considered key to getting the economy moving again. Without a safe place for their kids, many parents would have difficulty returning to work.
But some education officials say opening schools quickly would bring major risk and little reward, especially since the end of the school year is approaching.

Last week, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the United States 'strongly believed' Beijing failed to report the outbreak in a timely manner and covered up how dangerous the respiratory illness caused by the virus was.
Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said on Twitter on Monday Pompeo should 'stop playing the political game. Better save energy on saving lives.'
In Beijing, a foreign ministry spokesman on Tuesday accused US politicians of 'telling barefaced lies', without naming Trump specifically, and of ignoring their 'own serious problems'.
'American politicians have repeatedly ignored the truth and have been telling barefaced lies,' Geng Shuang told reporters at a regular press briefing.
'They have only one objective: shirk their responsibility for their own poor epidemic prevention and control measures, and divert public attention.'
Geng said US politicians should 'reflect on their own problems and find ways to contain the outbreak as quickly as possible.'
The coronavirus outbreak has killed more than 207,000 people around the world.
Earlier on Monday, White House trade adviser Peter Navarro accused China of sending low-quality and even counterfeit coronavirus antibody testing kits to the United States and of 'profiteering' from the pandemic.
Navarro, an outspoken critic of Beijing whom Trump has appointed to work on supply-line issues relating to the health crisis, said more testing both for the virus and antibodies was vital to getting Americans currently in lockdown back to work.
'That's where, perhaps, we can find people who are immune, that can be in the workplace in a more safe environment. 
'But we can't have China, for example, bringing in those fake tests and counterfeit tests, because that's going to be very disruptive,' Navarro said in an interview on Fox News.
'There's a lot of these antibody tests coming in from China now that are low quality, false readings and things like that,' he said.
In January, Trump relaxed certain tariffs imposed on China during a trade war that strained relations between Washington and Beijing. 
China agreed to buy billions of dollars-worth of American products, in particular agriculture, as part of the deal.
[size=18]Trump reveals 'not a problem' COVID plan to test one in 50 by July

Loa
[/size]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27740524-8263729-image-a-7_1588065068078

+14

EMT wearing personal protective equipment (PPE), preparing to unload COVID-19 transfer patients at the Montefiore Medical Center Wakefield Campus in the Bronx
Retaliatory tariffs from China had particularly hit US farmers, who needed government bailout money to get through the trade disagreement.
Yesterday Trump announced that the federal government will help the states in conducting enough virus testing to have businesses open their doors again, but the federal government would only supply tests as a 'last resort'. 

Trump says he never considered delaying election 

President Donald Trump on Monday dismissed allegations by his opponent Joe Biden that he would try to delay the November election as the United States struggles to quell the coronavirus outbreak.
'I never even thought of changing the date of the election. Why would I do that?' Trump told reporters at the White House.
'I look forward to that election, and that was just made-up propaganda. Not by him, but by some of the many people that are working' for Biden, Trump said.
The president cannot by law unilaterally change the date of the election, which is due on November 3.
'Mark my words, I think he is gonna try to kick back the election somehow, come up with some rationale why it can't be held,' Biden said during an online fundraiser last week.

Details of the plan came to light prior to the president's Rose Garden appearance, including that the federal government would aim to provide states enough tests to screen at least 2 per cent of their residents, ramping up testing in May through June.
If governors wanted to have the capability to test higher than 2 per cent of a state's population the White House will work with them, Fox News Channel said.
The tests from the federal government would target elderly and minority populations, who see higher death rates from the virus, Bloomberg said.
So far more than 5 million COVID-19 tests have been administered in the United States.
The government's aim is to be able to have anyone showing symptoms, as well as first responders and medical personnel tested. Surveillance testing will be used to watch for pockets of the disease in at-risk communities, such as the elderly living in nursing homes.
On Monday, the White House, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration jointly released two documents - a testing overview and a testing blueprint - that defined what the federal and state responsibilities for coronavirus testing would be.
'Our blueprint describes how states should unlock their full capacity,' the president explained.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27740518-8263729-image-a-8_1588065072380

+14

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27740528-8263729-EMS_workers_wheeling_a_patient_outside_NYU_Langone_Health_hospit-a-1_1588080127339

+14

EMS workers wheeling a patient outside NYU Langone Health hospital yesterday
The overview showed that testing was already at step eight of an eight-part plan.
The final step, according to the White House, was coordinating with govenors 'to support testing plans and rapid response programs.'
In the three-phase 'Opening Up America Again' guidelines that were released earlier this month, in order for states to move on to each phase, 'robust testing' needed to be in place, while cases trended downward.
The administration outlined its role in the document provided to the public Monday.
The federal government would provide expedited regulatory approvals for tests and testing equipment.
Governors have asked the federal government to allow for slightly different swabs and chemical agents to be used in the tests in order to make up for supply chain issues. That message was received, White House coronavirus taskforce members indicated.
The federal government would also work with the private sector to develop 'innovative diagnostic tests'.

Donald Trump 'was told to cancel flights from Europe by deputy security chief in February but refused to until March - and ignored daily intelligence briefings that China was covering up the severity of coronavirus'
Donald Trump's deputy national security adviser, Matthew Pottinger, told him to cut off air travel from Europe as early as February but the president held out until the World Health Organisation announced coronavirus had reached pandemic level on March 11. 
In Presidential Daily Briefings (PDB) - which give the leader advanced information about areas of interest and concern from US Intelligence - COVID-19 was mentioned more than a dozen times before Trump finally took serious action to protect Americans, anonymous agents have said.
The reports detailed the transmission of the virus around the globe, indicated that China was playing down the death toll and warned that lack of action could result in a negative outcome both politically and economically, according to the insiders.
US officials told the Washington Post that the seriousness of the content in the briefings was comparable to a level of 'tracking active terrorism threats, overseas conflicts or other rapidly developing security issues'. But they claim Trump ignored the warning signs.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27726834-8263101-image-a-48_1588036165374

+14

Coronavirus became a topic of Presidential Daily Briefings (PDB) from January, intelligence sources have claimed. In this file photo President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, DC on January 7
The novel coronavirus broke out in Wuhan in November and it was first mentioned in the PDB at the beginning of January, then agencies devoted additional resources and departments to tracking the spread of the coronavirus.
The CIA gathered information from agency centers in China, Europe and Latin America and a department devoted to transnational health threats, officials said.
Meanwhile Trump was focusing on the response to his impeachment proceedings and what action Iran might take after Commander Qasem Soleimani was in Baghdad by a US airstrike.
By mid- to late January the coronavirus was being mentioned more frequently in core articles that were part of the briefings and in their 'executive update'. Pottinger, deputy to National security adviser Robert O'Brien, was leading inter-agency meetings on COVID-19 before Mike Pence took over as head of the coronavirus task force.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27730302-8263101-image-a-6_1588046051288

+14

National security adviser Robert O'Brien's deputy, Matthew Pottinger (pictured left), pushed to shut down air travel from the then-coronavirus epicenter Europe in February
After having worked as a report for the Wall Street Journal in China during the SARS outbreak, Pottinger warned their could be a coverup by the Chinese government and was instrumental in pushing for flights to be stopped from both China and later Europe. 
An official speaking to the Washington Post claimed Trump sometimes doesn't read the PDBs but they were certain the information was getting to Trump as he is also updated orally.
'We go in and he treats us with respect,' a senior official, who wished to remain anonymous told the Washington Post.
Cabinet secretaries and other high-ranking US officials also get a version of the update. 
At the end of February Trump took a two-day trip to India during which time the US saw its first official COVID death and 3,000 people had died from the coronavirus around the globe.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27724882-8263729-President_Donald_J_Trump_walks_around_the_Oval_Office_before_wal-a-3_1588080127352

+14

President Donald J. Trump walks around the Oval Office before walking to board Marine One and depart from the South Lawn at the White House on January 31, 2020 in Washington, DC
Trump traveled as Nancy Messonnier, the director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, publicly warned on February 25 that COVID-19 was spreading so rapidly that 'we need to be prepared for significant disruption in our lives.'
Prior to his trip he also appeared preoccupied with matters of the November 2020 election.
Trump fired Joseph Maguire, acting director of National Intelligence, after finding out a senior analyst briefed Congress members that Russia had 'developed a preference' for Trump and wanted to interfere in the election.
Later in February Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar testified before a Congressional committee saying the risk of the virus was 'low' and compared it to a 'severe flu season in terms of the interventions and approaches you will see'.
Trump finally issued a European travel ban on March 11.
'We are at a critical time in the fight against the virus,' Trump said in an Oval Office address. 'I will always put the well-being of America first.'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27726668-8263729-Nancy_Messonnier_the_director_of_the_National_Center_for_Immuniz-a-2_1588080127344

+14

Nancy Messonnier, the director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, publicly warned on February 25 that COVID-19 was spreading so rapidly that 'we need to be prepared for significant disruption in our lives'. She is pictured January 28
The World Health Organization also declared the coronavirus a pandemic.
'The fact that [Trump] gets only two or three briefings a week from the intelligence professionals doesn't mean that's the only exposure to the PDB he's getting,' David Priess, a former CIA officer who was a PDB briefer in the George W. Bush admin, told the Post. 'He can get the best intelligence in the world and still not make good decisions based on it.' 
'President Trump rose to fight this crisis head-on by taking early, aggressive historic action to protect the health, wealth and well-being of the American people,' White House spokesman, Hogan Gidley, told the Washington Post regarding whether Trump was too slow to take action. 
'We will get through this difficult time and defeat this virus because of his decisive leadership.'

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 28 Apr 2020, 16:48

[size=40]TRUMP'S CORONAVIRUS TIMELINE [/size]
JANUARY -- 'It's one person coming in from China'
January 11: China reports its first known death from 2019 Novel Coronavirus.
January 21: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announces the first case of coronavirus in the United States in the state of Washington.
January 22: Trump, at Davos, in an interview with CNBC, said he was not worried about a pandemic. 'No, not at all. We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China. And we have it totally under control. It's going to be just fine,' he said.
The same day, opening arguments begin in Trump's Senate impeachment trial.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27726636-8263729-Later_in_February_Health_and_Human_Services_Secretary_Alex_Azar_-a-4_1588080127361

+14

Later in February Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar (center on February 7) testified before a Congressional committee saying the risk of the virus was 'low' and compared it to a 'severe flu season in terms of the interventions and approaches you will see'

January 28: Trump campaign rally in Wildwood, N.J., with Rep. Jeff Van Drew, who switched from the Democratic Party to the Republican one after voting no in House impeachment inquiry. 
January 30: World Health Organization declares coronavirus a global health emergency.
'We are working very closely with China and other countries, and we think it's going to have a very good ending for us, that I can assure you,' Trump said while visiting a manufacturing plant in Warren, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit, to sign his new trade deal.
'We're working with China on the coronavirus. We think we have it very much under control. We have very little problem in this country at the moment,' he said.
Later that day he holds a campaign rally in Des Moines, Iowa.
January 31: Trump administration restricts travel from China.
FEBRUARY -- 'Everything is really under control'
February 2: Trump told Fox News' Sean Hannity of the coronavirus outbreak: 'We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.'
February 3: Iowa caucuses
February 4: Trump gives his State of the Union address.
February 5: Senate votes to acquit President Trump on two articles of impeachment.
February 7: Trump fires Lt. Colonel Alexander Vindman from his National Security Council job at the White House. Vindman and his twin are escorted from the building. Vindman obeyed a congressional subpoena to testify in the House impeachment inquiry about President Trump's call with the president of the Ukraine.
February 10: Trump said at the White House the virus could go away by April.
'Now, the virus that we're talking about having to do — you know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April. We're in great shape though. We have 12 cases — 11 cases, and many of them are in good shape now.'
February 10: Trump campaign rally in Manchester, N.H.
February 11: New Hampshire primary
February 14: France announces first coronavirus death in Europe when a Chinese tourist dies in a Paris hospital.
February 19: Trump campaign rally in Phoenix
February 20: Trump campaign rally in Colorado Springs
February 21: Trump campaign rally in Las Vegas
February 24: President Trump and first lady Melania Trump make a state visit to India.
February 24: Administration asks Congress for $1.25 billion to combat disease as Iran emerges as second focal point of the virus.
February 25: Trump, during his visit to India, says a vaccine will be ready soon: 'Now they have it, they have studied it, they know very much, in fact, we're very close to a vaccine.'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27726970-8263729-February_5_Senate_votes_to_acquit_President_Trump_on_two_article-a-5_1588080127450

+14

February 5: Senate votes to acquit President Trump on two articles of impeachment

February 26: Trump announces Vice President Mike Pence will lead a White House Coronavirus Task Force.
'The level that we've had in our country is very low, and those people are getting better, or we think that in almost all cases they're better, or getting. We have a total of 15,' he said at the announcement.
He added: 'We really think we've done a great job in keeping it down to a minimum. And again, we've had tremendous success — tremendous success — beyond what people would have thought.'
February 28: 'It's going to disappear. One day, it's like a miracle, it will disappear,' Trump said a White House news conference.
Later that day at a campaign rally in North Charleston, he shifts blame to Democrats.
'Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was a perfect conversation. And this is their new hoax,' he said.
February 29: The first coronavirus death in the United States occurs in Seattle. The Trump administration restricts travel to areas of Italy and South Korea hit hard by the virus.
'Everything is really under control,' Trump said at CPAC. Later a CPAC attendee tested positive for the coronavirus. The person did not come in contact with President Trump but did come into proximity with some GOP lawmakers who attended the conservative conference.
EARLY MARCH -- 'We've done a great job with it'
March 2: Trump campaign rally in Charlotte, N.C.
March 3: Super Tuesday
March 4: Trump tells Fox News' Sean Hannity: 'We were discussing this before. We really don't know what the percentage is. Some people will have this at a really light level and won't even go to a doctor or a hospital and get better.'
March 5: South Carolina primary
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 7 27727036-8263101-image-a-38_1588036084560

+14

March 10: Trump during a visit to Capitol Hill: 'The testing has gone really well. When people need a test they can get a test. It will go away. Just stay calm.' He is pictured with  Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin

March 6: During a visit to the CDC in Atlanta, Trump says: 'But over the last long period of time, when people have the flu, you have an average of 36,000 people dying. I've never heard those numbers. I would've been shocked. I would've said, 'Does anybody die from the flu?' I didn't know people died from the flu -- 36,000 people died.'
And he said of testing: 'Anybody that wants a test can get a test. That's what the bottom line is.'
But Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said at an earlier White House briefing: 'You may not get a test unless a doctor or public health official prescribes a test.'
Trump arrives at Mar-a-Lago for a weekend of fundraisers, golf and an official dinner with Brazil. He announces in a tweet that Mark Meadows will be his new chief of staff.
At this point, 11 people in the United States have died from the coronavirus.
March 7: Trump hosts Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro for dinner at Mar-a-Lago the same night Kimberly Guilfoyle celebrates her 51st birthday at a party there.
'No, I'm not concerned at all. No, we've done a great job with it,' Trump said, when asked about the first coronavirus case reported in Washington D.C.
After the dinner, an aide to Bolsonaro tests positive for the virus.
March 10: Trump during a visit to Capitol Hill: 'The testing has gone really well. When people need a test they can get a test. It will go away. Just stay calm.'
He noted: 'And we're prepared, and we're doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.'
MID-MARCH -- 'I will always put the well-being of America first'
March 11: 'We are at a critical time in the fight against the virus,' Trump says in an Oval Office address. 'I will always put the well-being of America first.'
He suspends travel to most European countries.
World Health Organization declares the coronavirus a pandemic. 

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 28 Apr 2020, 18:58

That's a really good timeline, Annemarie. 

Whatever happened to the expert in this field, Rod Rosenstein's sister? I know Trump threatened to fire her for being factual!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum