George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptyWed 08 May 2024, 22:11 by Ida

»  George filming new film in UK
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Serious Side - part 7

+6
Donnamarie
party animal - not!
ladybugcngc
Way2Old4Dis
carolhathaway
LizzyNY
10 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 Empty Re: The Serious Side - part 7

Post by annemarie Mon 02 Sep 2019, 20:29

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7418709/Donald-Trump-claims-hes-never-heard-Category-5-hurricane.html

[size=34]'I'm not sure I've ever even heard of a Category 5': Donald Trump is criticized for his claims about Hurricane Dorian as it becomes the FOURTH top-level storm to threaten the U.S. during his presidency[/size]

• Donald Trump said at a FEMA briefing in Washington that 'I don't know that I've ever even heard the term [Category 5] other than I know it's there' 

• He has made similar claims before despite having four such hurricanes - Irma and Maria in 2017, Michael in 2018 - threaten the U.S. since he took office

• Trump has had more frequent Category 5 hurricanes than any other President

By TIM STICKINGS FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 06:10 EDT, 2 September 2019 | UPDATED: 06:37 EDT, 2 September 2019

President Donald Trump bizarrely claimed he had never heard of a Category 5 hurricane occurring - even though Hurricane Dorian is the fourth such storm to threaten the United States during his presidency. 
Trump said at a FEMA briefing in Washington that 'I don't know that I've ever even heard the term other than I know it's there.'
'I'm not sure that I've ever even heard of a Category 5, I knew it existed and I've seen some Category 4s. You don't even see them that much,' he said. 
The President has made similar claims before, as social media was quick to point out, even though he has experienced more frequent Category 5 hurricanes than any of his predecessors. 

[size=10][size=18]Donald Trump says he's 'never heard' of a Category 5 Hurricane

Lo
[/size][/size]

There were two in 2017, when Hurricane Irma made landfall in Florida before Hurricane Maria devastated Puerto Rico. 
Hurricane Michael last year was the third of Trump's presidency, hitting land in Florida on October 10. 
Dorian made landfall in the Bahamas yesterday and is expected to move towards Florida today although the U.S. seaboard may avoid a direct hit. 
Trump made a similar claim in September 2017 at the time of Hurricane Irma. 

'In Florida, you got hit with the strongest winds ever recorded. It actually hit the Keys with a Category 5. I never even knew a Category 5 existed,' he said at the time. 
A month later he claimed that 'nobody has ever heard of a five hitting land', which is untrue.  
Barack Obama only experienced one Category 5 hurricane in eight years as President. 
That was Hurricane Matthew, which caused devastation in Haiti and also made landfall in South Carolina. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17967258-7418709-image-a-54_1567418650971

+2

Trump said at a FEMA briefing in Washington that 'I don't know that I've ever even heard the term [Category 5 hurricane] other than I know it's there'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17964184-7418709-This_satellite_image_shows_Hurricane_Dorian_on_Sunday_afternoon_-a-56_1567418692040

+2

This satellite image shows Hurricane Dorian on Sunday afternoon with the islands of the Bahamas marked 
George W. Bush had eight such hurricanes in eight years, most notably Hurricane Katrina in 2005. 
Katrina caused devastation in New Orleans, killing nearly 2,000 people and costing the U.S. government more than $120billion. 
Bush was widely blamed for a bungled response to Katrina and his public standing arguably never recovered. 
Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan only had one Category 5 storm to deal with during their two terms in the White House. 
George H.W. Bush had two and Jimmy Carter three in their four-year presidencies. 
Trump has also claimed incorrectly that the state of Alabama was in danger from Hurricane Dorian. 
'Georgia’s going to be hit. Alabama’s going to get a piece of it, it looks like,' he told reporters on Sunday. 
The National Weather Service in Birmingham, Alabama, slapped the President down without mentioning him by name, promising the state was not in the path of the storm. 
'Alabama will NOT see any impacts from Dorian. We repeat, no impacts from Hurricane Dorian will be felt across Alabama. The system will remain too far east,' they said.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 02 Sep 2019, 20:31

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7418539/Officials-blast-Hurricane-Dorian-social-media-idiots-driving-185mph-winds.html

[size=34]Officials blast Hurricane Dorian social media 'idiots': Daredevils ride into the storm on inflatable boats, film themselves giving firsthand reports of 185mph winds and drive into floods[/size]

• Dozens of people shared clips of themselves outside during Category 5 storm

• Some tried to drive or steer boats, while another man was lashed with heavy rain

• National Hurricane Center slammed those venturing out in the eye of Dorian  

• Hurricane Dorian devastated Bahamas and is now expected to barrel towards US

By BRYONY JEWELL FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 05:20 EDT, 2 September 2019 | UPDATED: 06:11 EDT, 2 September 2019

Officials have blasted daredevils for leaving safety and venturing outside during the 185mph winds of Hurricane Dorian to film themselves.  
Several videos posted on social media have shown people in the Bahamas braving the dangerous conditions during the Category 5 hurricane.
One man shared a clip of himself battling strong winds and being soaked by rain, saying he was 80 miles away from the eye and yet still dealing with awful weather.
While footage thought to have been filmed in Marsh Harbour, Nassau, the Bahamas, showed a man trying to navigate a small boat in the choppy waters.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17965238-7418539-image-a-26_1567414557933

+11

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17965242-7418539-image-a-27_1567414561493

+11

Chef José Andrés, pictured, shared a video showing the power of Hurricane Dorian which he filmed from '90 miles' from the eye, and asking his Twitter followers to pray for those in Abaco
[size=10][size=18]José Andrés goes live to show the power of Hurricane Dorian

L
[/size][/size]

The National Hurricane Center tweeted a stern warning about the dangers of the storm, which is one of the strongest Atlantic storms ever recorded, last night.
They said: 'IMPORTANT: We have seen videos in the Abacos of people venturing out in the eye of #Dorian. Everyone should take shelter immediately as winds will increase rapidly and unpredictably after the eye passes.'
Those filming the 'idiot' steering a boat, who also appear to be on a boat, can be heard laughing and debating whether to call the man inside.

They say: 'Man are you a f*****g idiot, he isn't going to make it. His motor keeps dying on him.' 
Jose Andres, of World Central Kitchen, shared the selfie video on Twitter in an effort to raise awareness for how powerful the Hurricane would be when it hit.
He said: 'I want everybody to understand we are not in the Abacos were like 90 miles away .. this is gonna be one of the biggest storms ever.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17966078-7418539-image-a-39_1567415870813

+11

The National Hurricane Center said everyone should 'take shelter immediately' and said they were aware of people venturing outside during the dangerous conditions last night
[size=18]Daredevil man rides into storm on inflatable boat amid hurricane

[/size]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17965240-7418539-Video_thought_to_have_been_filmed_in_Marsh_Harbour_Nassau_the_Ba-a-41_1567416131904

+11

Video thought to have been filmed in Marsh Harbour, Nassau, the Bahamas, showed a man trying to steer an inflatable boat against the strong winds
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17965246-7418539-People_inside_the_boat_who_were_filming_the_man_questioned_wheth-a-42_1567416137983

+11

People inside the boat who were filming the man questioned whether they should help him 
'It's going to be really really gonna be huge...so lets pray for everybody.'
Dozens of people quickly responded telling him to 'get back inside' and 'stay safe.'
One person wrote: 'Please be careful. We have to hold on to all the good people that we can.' 
Storm Dorian is expected to hit the US today with hundreds of thousands of people being evacuated from their homes in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. 
In another video which has been viewed thousands of times on Instagram, a man is seen driving through the flooded streets of Nassau.
As he makes his way slowly along the road the driver says: 'Why am I driving in the middle of this storm, this is Prince Charles [Drive].
'Why am I driving in this god damn storm like an idiot, I'm disrespecting mother nature.. wow, wow. This is terrible.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17965244-7418539-One_man_tried_to_drive_through_flooded_streets_in_Nassau_and_sai-a-43_1567416148027

+11

One man tried to drive through flooded streets in Nassau and said he was 'disrespecting mother nature' by being out in the hurricane
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17964184-7418539-This_satellite_image_shows_Hurricane_Dorian_on_Sunday_afternoon_-a-36_1567418326495

+11

This satellite image shows Hurricane Dorian on Sunday afternoon with the islands of the Bahamas marked 
[size=18]Boats upturn as water ravages towns in horrific Hurricane Dorian

Loa
[/size]

Clarice Johnson also shared footage of Storm Dorian taken by her family in the Bahamas. 
In the clip winds can be seen ripping through trees as misty rain covers everything in view. 
She says: 'This is my view from my front door. This is Hurricane Dorian.
'Crazy, crazy, crazy. No one expected this here. We were supposed to be expecting rain and this is no way 63mph winds, no way.'
While another woman posted a selfie of herself being windswept on A1A beach in Florida. She captioned the post: 'Sept. 1, 2019 Eve of Hurricane Dorian.' 
The eastern seaboard is not currently forecast to take a direct hit, but experts say the storm is still 'extremely dangerous' and even a glancing blow could bring torrential rain and destructive winds as the storm tracks up the U.S. coast. 
In Washington, President Donald Trump met with his emergency management chiefs and declared 'this looks monstrous.'
The hurricane made its first landfall on the Abaco Islands on Sunday afternoon.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17964164-7418539-A_woman_from_Florida_shared_a_picture_of_her_windswept_hair_on_t-a-37_1567418326505

+11

A woman from Florida shared a picture of her windswept hair on the beach last night
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17956372-7418539-Strong_winds_move_the_palms_of_the_palm_trees_at_the_first_momen-a-31_1567415711429

+11

Strong winds move the palms of the palm trees at the first moment of the arrival of Hurricane Dorian in Freeport, Grand Bahama
[size=18]Horrifying footage shows extent of the damage of Hurricane Dorian

L
[/size]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17958748-7418539-The_image_above_shows_the_scale_of_the_devastation_left_by_Hurri-a-37_1567415725093

+11

The image above shows the scale of the devastation left by Hurricane Dorian, which continues to pound the Bahamas on Sunday
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17953588-7418539-Pusateri_s_Pizza_in_Stuart_boarded_up_its_windows_while_remindin-a-38_1567418326507

+11

Pusateri's Pizza in Stuart boarded up its windows while reminding the public that it has braved other hurricanes in the past
'Catastrophic conditions' were reported in Abaco, with a storm surge of 18-23 feet, and Dorian was expected to cross Grand Bahama 'with all its fury'.
In some places 'you cannot tell the difference as to the beginning of the street versus where the ocean begins', said Prime Minister Hubert Minnis.
Seven-year-old Lachino Mcintosh is reported to have drowned near his family's home in Abaco, according to Bahamas Press.
The young boy is reported to have drowned while his family was trying to seek shelter. Mcintosh's sister, whose age is unknown, is also reported to be missing.
Footage taken by Abaco residents showed homes missing parts of their roofs, downed power lines and smashed and overturned cars.
In the northern stretches of the archipelago, hotels closed, residents boarded up homes and officials hired boats to move people to bigger islands.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 02 Sep 2019, 20:35

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7419251/Donald-Trump-says-Squad-responsible-rise-racist-attacks-US.html

[size=34]Donald Trump slams 'Squad' Congresswomen saying they incited racist attacks in the US with their 'horrible' rhetoric and claims all he did was 'call them out'[/size]

• Donald Trump slammed the 'Squad' Congresswomen on Labor Day Monday

• He lashed out after reading a Washington Post story entitled 'Trump's lost summer' that said his inflammatory speech triggered racist attacks in the US

• Trump tweeted defending himself, saying Squad was actually responsible for it

• Squad consists of Democratic Congresswomen Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley and Rashida Tlaib 

• 'No, they brought racist attacks against our Nation. All I do is call them out for the horrible things they have said,' Trump said

By MARLENE LENTHANG FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 08:51 EDT, 2 September 2019 | UPDATED: 10:19 EDT, 2 September 2019

Donald Trump launched an early morning attack on the 'Squad' - four liberal Congress freshman who have been outspokenly critical of the president - saying they're responsible for the racist attacks breaking out in the U.S. 
Trump lashed out after reading a Washington Post story entitled 'Trump's lost summer' on Monday that said his inflammatory speeches and controversies triggered racist attacks such as mass shootings in the US. 
From his attacks on the majority-black city of Baltimore, which he bashed as 'rat and rodent infested', and anti-immigrant rhetoric, Trump has a long list of controversies to his name. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17973092-7419251-image-a-23_1567429742826

+2

Trump launched a Labor Day Monday attack on the 'Squad' - four liberal Congress freshman who have been outspokenly critical of him - saying they're responsible for racist attacks in the U.S.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17973084-7419251-image-a-2_1567428339417

He lashed out after reading a Washington Post story entitled 'Trump's lost summer' that said his inflammatory speech triggered racist attacks in the US and shifted the blame to the Squad
But he's been especially vocal on Twitter in his critique of the 'Squad' - Congresswomen Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley and Rashida Tlaib.  

All are women of color, Democrat, two are Muslim, and they have collectively called for Trump's impeachment. 

RELATED ARTICLES

In one statement, Trump told Omar and Tlaib to 'go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came', in a feud on immigration.
But the president defended himself from the WashPo article saying the four Congresswomen are actually responsible for the slew of racist attacks that have taken place in the country.
'The Amazon Washington Post did a story that I brought racist attacks against the "Squad." No, they brought racist attacks against our Nation,' Trump said. 
[size=18]Trump campaign video bashes 'The Squad' on Twitter

Loa
[/size]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17973090-7419251-image-a-24_1567429750686

+2

Trump has been especially vocal on Twitter in his critique of 'Squad' - Congresswomen Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (second right), Ilhan Omar (second left), Ayanna Pressley (far right) and Rashida Tlaib (far left)
[size=18]Trump says there is 'no racial tension' involved in his Squad spat

L
[/size]

'All I do is call them out for the horrible things they have said. The Democrats have become the Party of the Squad!' he tweeted. 
His comments come on the heels of a string of horrific mass shootings. 
In the El Paso shooting in a Texas Walmart, gunman Patrick Crusius, 21, said he wanted to fight the invasion of Mexicans as he opened fire. He had also written a racist, anti-immigrant manifesto spewing his white supremacist rhetoric. 
Trump continued his Twitter rant slamming the WashPot as 'LameStream Media', despite their list of instances where Trump had sparked racial tension. 
Trump reiterated his claim that the Squad has taken over the Democratic party and said 'the good news is that we are winning.'

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 03 Sep 2019, 19:44

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7423799/Walmart-stop-selling-ammunition-assault-rifles.html

[size=34]BREAKING NEWS: Walmart is to stop selling ammunition for assault rifles and handguns and will ban customers from openly carrying guns in its stores in wake of deadly mass shootings[/size]

• Walmart CEO Doug McMillon announced the changes in a memo on Tuesday 

• He said he felt the company had to do its part to make 'the country safer' 

• On August 3, gunman Patrick Crusius killed 22 people in a Walmart in El Paso 

• Days earlier, a disgruntled employee shot two people in a different store in Mississippi 

• McMillon said the changes would scale back Walmart's share of the country's ammo sales from 20 percent to six percent  

By JENNIFER SMITH FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 13:14 EDT, 3 September 2019 | UPDATED: 14:18 EDT, 3 September 2019

Walmart has announced it will stop selling ammunition for assault rifles and handguns and will ban customers from openly carrying firearms inside across its 4,177 stores. 
The company will also stop selling handguns in Alaska, the only state where it sells them. 
It comes in the wake of two deadly mass shootings, one of which occurred in one a Walmart store in El Paso, Texas, during which 22 people were killed.  
The company's CEO Doug McMillon made the announcement in a memo to employees on Tuesday. 

'After selling through our current inventory commitments, we will discontinue sales of short-barrel rifle ammunition such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber that, while commonly used in some hunting rifles, can also be used in large capacity clips on military-style weapons,' he wrote. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18025460-7423799-image-a-21_1567533510534

+3

Ammunition on the shelves and guns in a cabinet at a Walmart. The company announced on Tuesday it would stop all sales of rifle ammunition 
[size=10][size=18]Staff at Walmart walkout to call for an end to gun sales

L
[/size][/size]

[size=34]WALMART CEO DOUG MCMILLON'S ANNOUNCEMENT[/size]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18024272-7423799-image-m-3_1567531918808

CEO Doug McMillon

Dear Associates,
A month ago, in El Paso, Texas, a gunman with an assault-style rifle launched a hate-filled attack in our store, shooting 48 people resulting in the loss of 22 innocent lives. Just a few days prior, two of our associates were killed by another associate in our store in Southaven, Mississippi. And hours after the shooting in El Paso, our country experienced another mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio. This weekend brought tragedy to Midland and Odessa, Texas.
In Southaven and El Paso, our associates responded to anger and hate with courage and self-sacrifice. Our immediate priorities were supporting our associates and the impacted families and cooperating with law enforcement. In parallel, we have been focused on store safety and security. We’ve also been listening to a lot of people inside and outside our company as we think about the role we can play in helping to make the country safer. It’s clear to us that the status quo is unacceptable.
After visiting El Paso on Aug. 6, I mentioned that we would be thoughtful and deliberate in our responses. We’re ready to share our next steps.
We’ve been giving a lot of thought to our sale of firearms and ammunition. We’ve previously made decisions to stop selling handguns or military-style rifles such as the AR-15, to raise the age limit to purchase a firearm or ammunition to 21, to require a “green light” on a background check while federal law only requires the absence of a “red light,” to videotape the point of sale for firearms and to only allow certain trained associates to sell firearms.
Today, we’re sharing the decisions we’ve made that go further:
We know these decisions will inconvenience some of our customers, and we hope they will understand. As a company, we experienced two horrific events in one week, and we will never be the same. Our remaining assortment will be even more focused on the needs of hunting and sport shooting enthusiasts. It will include long barrel deer rifles and shotguns, much of the ammunition they require, as well as hunting and sporting accessories and apparel. We believe these actions will reduce our market share of ammunition from around 20% to a range of approximately 6 to 9%. We believe it will likely drift toward the lower end of that range, over time, given the combination of these changes.
As it relates to safety in our stores, there have been multiple incidents since El Paso where individuals attempting to make a statement and test our response have entered our stores carrying weapons in a way that frightened or concerned our associates and customers. We have also had well-intentioned customers acting lawfully that have inadvertently caused a store to be evacuated and local law enforcement to be called to respond. These incidents are concerning and we would like to avoid them, so we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer openly carry firearms into our stores or Sam’s Clubs in states where “open carry” is permitted – unless they are authorized law enforcement officers.
We believe the opportunity for someone to misinterpret a situation, even in open carry states, could lead to tragic results. We hope that everyone will understand the circumstances that led to this new policy and will respect the concerns of their fellow shoppers and our associates. As it relates to concealed carry by customers with permits, there is no change to our policy or approach. This morning, we briefed your leadership team on how to communicate this change in policy to customers when needed, and they will be sharing that with you very soon. We will treat law-abiding customers with respect, and we will have a very non-confrontational approach. Our priority is your safety. We will be providing new signage to help communicate this policy in the coming weeks.
As an additional step, we commit we will work alongside other retailers to make the overall industry safer, including sharing our best practices. For example, we are exploring ways to share the technical specifications and compliance controls for our proprietary firearms sales technology platform. This system navigates the tens of millions of possible combinations of federal, state and local laws, regulations and licensing requirements that come into effect based on where the firearm is being sold and who is purchasing it. We hope that providing this information, free of charge, will help more retailers sell firearms in a responsible, compliant manner.
Finally, we encourage our nation’s leaders to move forward and strengthen background checks and to remove weapons from those who have been determined to pose an imminent danger. We do not sell military-style rifles, and we believe the reauthorization of the Assault Weapons ban should be debated to determine its effectiveness. We must also do more, as a country, to understand the root causes that lead to this type of violent behavior. Today, I’m sending letters to the White House and the Congressional leadership that call for action on these common sense measures. As we’ve seen before, these horrific events occur and then the spotlight fades. We should not allow that to happen. Congress and the administration should act. Given our decades of experience selling firearms, we are also offering to serve as a resource in the national debate on responsible gun sales.
We have a long heritage as a company of serving responsible hunters and sportsmen and women, and we’re going to continue doing so. Our founder, Sam Walton, was an avid outdoorsman who had a passion for quail hunting, and we’re headquartered in a state known for its duck hunting and deer hunting. My family raised bird dogs when I was growing up in Jonesboro, Arkansas, and I’m a gun owner myself. We understand that heritage, our deeply rooted place in America and our influence as the world’s largest retailer. And we understand the responsibility that comes with it. We want what’s best for our customers, our associates and our communities. In a complex situation lacking a simple solution, we are trying to take constructive steps to reduce the risk that events like these will happen again. The status quo is unacceptable.
Doug
Sept. 3, 2019

'We know these decisions will inconvenience some of our customers, and we hope they will understand. 
'As a company, we experienced two horrific events in one week, and we will never be the same,' he said.  
Walmart is the country's biggest seller of ammunition, accounting for 20 percent of it. 
By rolling back its stock, it will likely account for six percent of all ammunition sales in the country. 
McMillon said he was aware the company had to do more to 'make the country safer'.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18024664-7423799-image-a-6_1567532084967

+3

Tributes outside the Walmart in El Paso where 22 people were shot dead on August 3 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18024270-7423799-image-a-7_1567532104504

+3

Gunman Patrick Crusius killed 22 people in a Walmart in El Paso on August 3. He is shown entering the store with his rifle drawn
'We’ve also been listening to a lot of people inside and outside our company as we think about the role we can play in helping to make the country safer. It’s clear to us that the status quo is unacceptable.
'After visiting El Paso on Aug. 6, I mentioned that we would be thoughtful and deliberate in our responses. We’re ready to share our next steps,' he wrote. 
'We understand...our deeply rooted place in America and our influence as the world’s largest retailer. And we understand the responsibility that comes with it. 
'We want what’s best for our customers, our associates and our communities. In a complex situation lacking a simple solution, we are trying to take constructive steps to reduce the risk that events like these will happen again.
'The status quo is unacceptable,' he said. 
After the El Paso shooting, Walmart said it would consider changing its firearms sales policies.  
[size=18]Tulsi Gabbard says Walmart should decide if they sell guns

L
[/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 03 Sep 2019, 22:47

Bravo, Walmart! I guess it had to hit close to home for them to get serious about their contribution to the problem. I'm sorry it took something so terrible to make them act, but I'm glad they finally did. Better late than never. Now lwt's see if it makes a difference in Washington.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 04 Sep 2019, 00:03

....and let us hope Trump doesn't try and turn it on its head and claim influence, friendship or making the decision for them...............

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 04 Sep 2019, 00:09

It is definitely a step in the right direction.  I’m glad that they had already banned the sale of AR-15s and other handguns plus raised the legal age to purchase.
I’d like to see them stop selling guns totally.  But I’m glad that they are calling on Congress to do its job on this issue.  Actually the House has already passed a bill on universal background checks.  It is sitting on Moscow Mitch’s desk because he won’t bring it up for a vote in the Senate. It has been sitting there since February. Don’t think even the CEO of Walmart is any match for the person really in control of the Republicans, Mitch and Trump ... Wayne LaPierre.

Last edited by Donnamarie on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 00:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 04 Sep 2019, 02:36

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7424317/Mitch-McConnell-puts-gun-rights-debate-Donald-Trumps-hands.html

[size=34]Mitch McConnell puts gun rights' debate back in Donald Trump's hands and says he'd be 'happy' to move legislation that the president will sign into law[/size]

• Mitch McConnell said he'd be happy to bring any gun legislation to the Senate floor that Donald Trump said he would sign into law 

• 'If the president took a position on a bill so that we knew we would actually be making a law and not just having serial votes, I'd be happy to put it on the floor'

• McConnell laid down his marker with Trump ahead of the Senate's return to Washington next week where the gun debate will be a major topic

• He said he expects to hear from the White House next week 

• The White House has given no public indication of what legislation it supports

• McConnell's remarks come as Wal-Mart announced it won't sell ammunition for assault rifles and handguns

• And his comments follow a mass shooting Sunday in Texas where seven died 

By EMILY GOODIN, U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 16:25 EDT, 3 September 2019 | UPDATED: 17:55 EDT, 3 September 2019

Mitch McConnell put the debate over gun legislation back in Donald Trump's hands Tuesday when he said he'd be happy to bring any bill to the Senate floor the president said he would sign into law.   
'I said several weeks ago that if the president took a position on a bill so that we knew we would actually be making a law and not just having serial votes, I'd be happy to put it on the floor,' McConnell told conservative talk show radio host Hugh Hewitt. 'If the president is in favor of a number of things that he has discussed openly and publicly, and I know that if we pass it it'll become law, I'll put it on the floor.' 
The Senate Republican Leader is laying his mark with the president ahead of Congress' return to Washington D.C. next week after their August recess when gun legislation is expected to be a major topic of debate on Capitol Hill. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18030558-7424317-image-a-54_1567542714445

+5

Mitch McConnell said he'd be happy to bring any gun legislation to the Senate floor that Donald Trump said he would sign into law
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18030480-7424317-image-a-36_1567541915552

+5

President Donald Trump has not publicly said what gun legislation he favors
He said he expects to hear from the White House in the next week on what - if any legislation - it is prepared to support. 

'I expect to get an answer to that next week. If the President is in favor of a number of things that he has discussed openly and publicly, and I know that if we pass it it'll become law, I'll put it on the floor,' McConnell said.  
McConnell's comments come after seven people were killed and 22 people were injured in a mass shooting in Odessa, Texas, on Sunday. 
And, on Monday, Wal-Mart announced it will stop selling ammunition for assault rifles and handguns and will ban customers from openly carrying firearms inside across its 4,177 stores.
Earlier this month 22 people died in a mass shooting at a Wal-Mart in El Paso, Texas.
The White House has not said publicly what kind of legislation it is prepared to throw its weight behind. 

Mike Pence's Chief of Staff Marc Short on Monday told reporters traveling with the vice president in Ireland that the administration was in discussions with the Department of Justice about the potential bills. 
He pointed to a draft proposal from Attorney General William Barr to allow the use of the death penalty in convictions for mass shootings - although that is not something Democrats are likely to support. 
President Trump, meanwhile, has said background checks would not have stopped the mass shootings that have taken place and has framed it as a mental health issue. 
'I have to tell that you it's a mental problem,' the president said earlier this month. 'I've said it 100 times, it's not the gun that pulls the trigger, it's the person that pulls the trigger. These are sick people, and it's also that kind of a problem.' 
Trump offered strong support for background checks earlier this month after mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio.
But he walked back his talk after lobbying by the NRA and its president Wayne LaPierre.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17284280-7357469-Senator_Pat_Toomey-a-57_1565808078040
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17284262-7357469-Senator_Joe_Manchin-m-56_1565808073358

One legislative option is from Republican Senator Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania (left) and Democratic Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia (right), who are pushing a measure to expand background checks for gun purchases
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18030474-7424317-And_Senator_Lindsey_Graham_is_pushing_a_red_flag_law_that_would_-a-2_1567547700652

+5

And Senator Lindsey Graham is pushing a 'red flag law' that would allow law enforcement, family members and others to ask a judge to confiscate firearms from people who are deemed to be dangerous.
In early August, LaPierre reportedly warned the president that an expansion of background checks would anger his supporters - the implication it could hurt him at the ballot box in next year's election.
Trump, at the time, brushed off the talk, arguing he could sway Republicans to his side. But after an all-out effort by the guns-right group, the president appeared to change his thinking.  
In mid-August he took a step back from that when speaking to reporters in New Jersey, where he had been spending time at his Trump National Golf Club Bedminister.
'I'm not saying anything,' he said when asked if he'd support universal background checks.  
Trump also said he was 'very, very concerned with the Second Amendment, more so than most presidents would be. People don't realize we have very strong background checks right now.'
'I don't want people to forget that this is a mental health problem. I don't want them to forget that, because it is. It's a mental health problem,' he noted. 
A majority of Republican senators are strong supporters of the second amendment and would be reluctant to vote on further gun restrictions - particularly headed into an election year.  
Current U.S. law only requires background checks on guns sold through licensed dealers - and not for gun shows, private sales or fire arms sold online. Sales by authorized dealers account for 78 per cent of all gun sales in the United States. 
Democrats have put the pressure on McConnell and the Senate to act, noting that the House passed universal background checks for gun purchases earlier this year.
But only eight Republicans voted with them on the measure and Trump, at the time, vowed to veto it although it never came up for a vote in the GOP-controlled Senate. 
Democratic leaders even called on McConnell to recall senators to Washington in August to take up gun reform legislation, which he refused to do.
There are a few legislative options on the table. 
Republican Senator Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania and Democratic Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia are pushing bipartisan legislation that would expand background checks to private and online sales. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18030618-7424317-Congress_returns_to_Washington_DC_next_week_and_the_debate_about-a-1_1567547700488

+5

Congress returns to Washington DC next week and the debate about gun background checks - such as for arms sold at gun shows as in the photo above - is expected to be on the table
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17502392-7375219-Trump_and_LaPierre_seen_here_at_a_May_2016_NRA_meeting_spoke_sev-a-3_1566343246891

+5

President Trump appeared to back away from gun background check legislation after talking with NRA President Wayne LaPierre - the two men are seen here at a May 2016 NRA meeting
[size=18]President Trump urges 'intelligent background checks' on guns

L
[/size]

They first wrote the measure after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in 2012 and are pushed it again after 31 people died in mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, in early August.  
But it has failed twice in the Senate already and, while Trump has spoken to the senators about their legislation, there is no guarantee he will give it his blessing.  
Another possibility is a 'red flag law' - such as one being championed by Trump ally Senator Lindsey Graham - that would allow law enforcement, family members and others to ask a judge to confiscate firearms from people who are deemed to be dangerous. 
[size=18]Trump says McConnell 'wants to do background checks' for guns

L
[/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 04 Sep 2019, 15:19

It hasn’t gone unnoticed in the U.S. what’s going on in the U.K.  It is a sad reflection on American politics.  There have been many comments in the last couple of days on how it does seem that there are far more brave politicians sitting in Parliament right now than there are on this side of the pond.  Courageous Conservatives calling out Boris Johnson.  Here we have nothing more than spineless Republicans who are willing to stand by and watch democracy get trashed than to be brave and principled.

My own opinion as an outside observer on this Brexit thing.  It’s a total mess brought about by politicians who had no idea how this was all going to play out before proposing this idea to its people. Where was the plan to move forward independent of the E.U. if Brexit came to pass ....???

Last edited by Donnamarie on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 15:21; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct text)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 04 Sep 2019, 16:12

Hi Donnamarie. I hope you're all watching the live debate  in Parliament live on the BBC website for as long as it proceeds - should you be interested! This is how we operate and aren't we lucky we're not in Russia or China?? Huge debate ongoing at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-49557734

One of the biggest hurdles is Article 50. Everybody was told about it and should have looked at it before voting I think. This is a sort of trade treaty that takes four years to complete. At this moment we are on year three!

What is also interesting is that through all this the economy has continued to thrive..in many instances rather better than EU countries.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 04 Sep 2019, 21:10

It's really interesting to watch the debate (including watching Rees-Mogg pretending to sleep during the debate). And I always enjoy John Bercow shouting "Order! Order!" or "Ayes to the right, Noes to the left!". The rituals which last hundreds of years are rather impressive.

I'm against a no-deal brexit but am not sure the result of an extension to January 2020...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 05 Sep 2019, 03:44

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7428427/AOC-Dan-Crenshaw-clash-guns-says-background-checks-stop-loaning-guns-out.html

[size=34]Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Republican congressman Dan Crenshaw clash over guns as he says universal background checks would stop him loaning guns to his friends and she says: 'Why on earth would you do that?'[/size]

• Two freshmen representatives got into a Twitter spat on gun reform and background check laws

• Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez questioned Republican Dan Crenshaw after he said universal background checks would prevent him from loaning out his guns

• 'Why on earth would you do that?' the progressive questioned of her colleague

• She also queried why someone would loan a gun to someone who couldn't pass a background check 

• Crenshaw claimed too strict laws would turn citizens borrowing guns to hunt and protect themselves into felons

• Urges for universal background checks and more gun reform laws increased after a recent string of mass shootings

By KATELYN CARALLE, U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 16:53 EDT, 4 September 2019 | UPDATED: 18:40 EDT, 4 September 2019

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez lashed out Wednesday after Republican Dan Crenshaw complained that stricter background check laws would prevent him from loaning his gun to friends.
Ocasio-Cortez questioned who Crenshaw, as a member of Congress, was lending his guns to who couldn't pass a background check.
'You are a member of Congress. Why are you 'lending' guns to people unsupervised who can't pass a basic background check?' Ocasio-Cortez questioned in a tweet Wednesday. 'The people you're giving a gun to have likely abused their spouse or have a violent criminal record, & you may not know it. Why on earth would you do that?'
She was responding to a tweet from Crenshaw Tuesday where he lamented if Congress passed a universal background check law his friends who don't own a gun might not be able to defend themselves through borrowing his firearms.

'Situations like this story are why we protect the 2nd Amendment. Side note: With universal background checks, I wouldn't be able to let my friends borrow my handgun when they travel alone like this. We would make felons out of people just for defending themselves,' he wrote Tuesday.
Crenshaw's tweet was attached to a local news story in Houston, Texas – which is included in the district he represents – where a woman was able to evade a potential robbery by shooting her gun from her car at five men.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18076426-7428427-image-a-1_1567629642134

+7

Freshmen Reps. Dan Crenshaw and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez got into a Twitter spat after Crenshaw said universal background checks would prevents him from being able to loan his gun to friends for personal protection
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18076424-7428427-image-a-2_1567629659893

+7

Ocasio-Cortez questioned 'why on earth' her Republican colleague would loan out a gun to someone that couldn't pass a background check
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18076418-7428427-image-a-3_1567629675220

+7

Crenshaw suggested that Ocasio-Cortez wasn't familiar with America outside of New York City, where she represents parts of The Bronx and Queens. He claimed people lend guns to friends for self-defense and hunting
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18076416-7428427-image-a-4_1567629688006

+7

Ocasio-Cortez pushed back again, insisting Crenshaw – a former Navy SEAL and Purple Heart recipient –'keep up,' because New York state is one of the safest states in terms of gun violence rates
The two representatives got into a back and forth over gun reform on Twitter, with Crenshaw suggesting Ocasio-Cortez wasn't familiar with America outside of New York City. Ocasio-Cortez's district includes parts of The Brox and Queens.
'Just so I'm clear: you think my friends are domestic abusers/criminals? Seriously that's your argument? That they can't pass a background check?' Crenshaw clapped back at his fellow freshmen representative.
'Wrong,' he continued. 'People lend guns to friends, esp if they don't own a gun, for self-defense and hunting purposes. This is America outside NYC.'
Ocasio-Cortez, however, pushed that her colleague needed to 'keep up,' claiming that New York state is the safest in terms of gun violence in the U.S. She also said no one should be lending guns to those who potentially wouldn't pass a background check.
'You said w/ universal background checks, you wouldn't be able to 'lend' guns to friends. If a background check would be a problem, then you shouldn't 'lend' a gun,' she wrote. 'And btw, NY is one of the safest states in the country when it comes to guns, incl rural areas. Try to keep up.'
In terms of the rate of deaths as a result of gun violence, it appears New York is in the top five safest states, while Texas ranks somewhere in the low to mid 20s.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18076446-7428427-image-m-8_1567629938602

+7

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18076438-7428427-image-a-7_1567629933869

+7

Ocasio-Cortez (left) and Crenshaw (right) were both elected to their first term in Congress in the 2018 midterms and have been serving since they were sworn in January 2019
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18076412-7428427-image-a-18_1567630181896

+7

There have been increased calls for stricter background check laws after a string of mass shootings recently. The latest in Texas over the weekend when a gunman killed seven people as he shot at passerby cars and pedestrians during a rampage that spanned about 10 miles
Calls for more gun reform, including more strict background checks, have increased after a string of recent mass shootings.
At the beginning of August, two shootings in one weekend resulted in 31 combined deaths in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio. And over the weekend, seven more died after a driving gunman shot seemingly randomly while fleeing from police after a routine traffic stop.
The shootings have reinvigorated attempts from Democrats to make obtaining firearms more difficult through gun reform, and even Donald Trump said last month that the U.S. has an 'appetite' for more strict background check laws.
Crenshaw, a former Navy SEAL who lost his right eye in 2012 after a bomb detonated in Afghanistan during his third deployment, is a big advocate for the Second Amendment.
Ocasio-Cortez, on the other hand, pushes for gun reform, including calling for a federal ban on assault weapons, high capacity magazines and bump stocks.
Both the progressive Democrat and conservative Republican were elected in the 2018 midterms and began their tenure in Congress in January 2019.
[size=10][size=18]Trump pushing to close loopholes for gun background checks

Lo
[/size][/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 06 Sep 2019, 12:13

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7433687/Europe-REJECT-Brexit-extension-despite-efforts-Remainers.html

[size=34]Europe may still REJECT Britain's bid for a new Brexit extension - because it wouldn't 'solve the problem', French minister warns[/size]

• French European minister said even a six-month extension wouldn't help Britain 

• Amelie de Montchalin said a delay 'without changing anything' was futile

• French foreign minister Jean-Yves Le Drian added that No Deal was most likely 

• It comes as Remainers are seeking to block a No Deal Brexit on October 31 

By DAVID CHURCHILL BRUSSELS CORRESPONDENT FOR THE DAILY MAIL
PUBLISHED: 21:08 EDT, 5 September 2019 | UPDATED: 02:38 EDT, 6 September 2019

France yesterday warned Remain-supporting British MPs trying to thwart a No Deal Brexit that it could block another extension request.
French European affairs minister Amelie de Montchalin said another delay would not solve the UK's Brexit 'problem'.
She even suggested that a six-month extension would not be long enough for Britain to sort out the mess.
Her colleague Jean-Yves Le Drian, the country's foreign minister, added that a No Deal Brexit on October 31 is the 'most likely scenario'.

It comes after pro-Remain MPs defeated the Government by approving a bill which would force Boris Johnson to ask for a Brexit extension at an EU summit on October 17 if a new deal cannot pass the Commons.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18131818-7433687-image-a-167_1567731620805

+3

French European affairs minister Amelie de Montchalin (pictured) said another delay would not solve the UK's Brexit 'problem'.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18132540-7433687-image-a-168_1567731991194

+3

Britain's Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson is among a raft of Remain MPs trying to force Boris Johnson to ask for an extension to the Brexit negotiation 
However, any extension request would be subject to the remaining 27 EU member states unanimously agreeing to grant it.
Yesterday Ms de Montchalin said delaying the process again, 'without changing anything', would not solve Britain's Brexit 'problem'.
She said: 'It's not because a problem is complicated that by diluting it over time and delaying it for three months without changing anything, it will be resolved.
'When I hear the British saying 'give us three months more and we will solve the problem', we can see that another six months would not solve the problem, nor another three months.

'They have to be able to tell us what they want. We know what they don't want but we are still struggling to understand what they do want.'
Yesterday senior Brussels Brexit negotiator Guy Verhofstadt hit out at Mr Johnson's description of the MPs' anti-No Deal legislation as the 'surrender bill'.
He said: 'Opposing a no deal is not 'surrender'. This is the language of Europe's dark past. It implies Britain's European allies and neighbours are enemies.
'I refuse to believe the majority of British people think this is the case.'
It came as EU member state diplomats held talks in Brussels on preparations for No Deal yesterday, with the bloc having ramped up measures.
[size=18]MPs vote Brexit delay bill through to the House of Lords

Load
[/size]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18131804-7433687-image-a-166_1567731618942

+3

Remainers are seeking approval for a bill to force Boris Johnson (pictured in the Commons on Wednesday) to ask for a Brexit extension at an EU summit on October 17
The bloc's chief negotiator Michel Barnier has told member states that talks with Britain over the controversial Irish border backstop are stuck in 'paralysis'.
However, a Downing Street spokesman hit back, insisting talks between Mr Johnson's chief negotiator, David Frost, and Brussels on Wednesday were 'constructive'.
Mr Frost, who will visit again today, told Mr Barnier's team that the backstop must be abolished for there to be a deal with the EU.
It came as Ireland admitted that it will not carry out checks on the border with Northern Ireland in the event of a No Deal Brexit.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 06 Sep 2019, 12:16

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7433927/Germanys-Merkel-faces-balancing-act-Beijing.html

[size=34]German Chancellor Angela Merkel calls for a quick end to the China-US trade war because 'it affects everybody' in the world[/size]

• Merkel hoped the tariff war would be resolved soon during a visit to China

• She also urged Beijing to respect the 'rights and freedoms' of Hong Kong

• The German leader is in China till tomorrow and will dine with President Xi 

• China has been Germany's most important single trading partner since 2017

By ASSOCIATED PRESS and TRACY YOU FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 23:01 EDT, 5 September 2019 | UPDATED: 05:32 EDT, 6 September 2019

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said today the China-U.S. trade war was affecting the whole world and she hoped it would be resolved soon.
Merkel made the remarks as she began a two-day official visit to China.
'We hope that there will be a solution in the trade dispute with the United States since it affects everybody' in the world, Merkel told Chinese Premier Li Keqiang in the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18143194-7433927-image-a-13_1567759238181

+10

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang (right) and German Chancellor Angela Merkel (left) converse while sitting in front their respective national flags at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing today
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18143922-7433927-image-a-7_1567758564468

+10

U.S. President Donald Trump and German Chancellor Angela Merkel laugh during a meeting at the G7 summit in France last month. Merkel's government has objects to Trump's trade tactics

Merkel's comments came after the U.S. and China agreed to meet in Washington next month to discuss ending the tariff battle. 
A date has been scheduled for 'early October' and diplomats from both countries will meet for the first time since the war's recent escalation, according to a statement from China's Commerce Ministry.  
Merkel also said today that the rights and freedoms of Hong Kong residents should be protected.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18012480-7422791-image-a-8_1567515452477

+10

China's top trade negotiator Liu He (pictured in May) this week said that Beijing firmly opposed a tariff war during a meeting with U.S. senators. The two country's diplomats have agreed to meet in Washington next month to discuss ending the tariff battle, according to Beijing
She added that a solution to the Chinese city's political crisis can only be garnered through dialogue while violence should be avoided.
'I indicated during the talks that the rights and freedoms agreed upon in Hong Kong's Basic Law should be safeguarded,' Merkel said during a joint news briefing with Li. 
The Basic Law is Hong Kong's de facto constitution, which promises the semi-autonomous Chinese city certain democratic rights not allowed in the mainland, such as uncensored press and people's right to protest.
Merkel added that political dialogue - not violence - is the path toward a resolution.
Merkel will dine with Chinese President Xi Jinping in the evening. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18143420-7433927-image-a-1_1567757730481

+10

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang (left) and German Chancellor Angela Merkel (central) walk past honour guards during a welcome ceremony at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing today
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18143416-7433927-image-a-2_1567757733547

+10

People supporting the Hong Kong anti-government movement urge Merkel to 'stand with Hong Kong' and back the demonstrations during a peaceful rally in Berlin on Thursday
The German leader faces the challenge of balancing human rights concerns and economic discussions with one of Germany's largest trading partners.
China was Germany's biggest single trading partner last year, with trade totaling 199 billion euros (£178 billion, $218 billion). The relationship is important to Europe's largest economy, particularly as Germany is considered likely to enter a technical recession in the current quarter.
Germany long had amicable relations with Beijing because its exporters ran a surplus supplying Chinese factories with equipment and components. But those ties increasingly are strained over German complaints about market access and Chinese technology policy.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18143412-7433927-image-a-4_1567757745745

+10

Merkel will dine with Chinese President Xi Jinping Friday evening. The two leaders are seen shaking hands during a meeting at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing on May 24, 2018
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18143516-7433927-image-a-5_1567757859890

+10

Students attend a school boycott rally at the Chinese University of Hong Kong on September 2
Li told reporters during the joint briefing that German companies are welcome in China and will have a relatively easier time getting things approved because the two countries have a foundation of trust. 
He and Merkel discussed collaboration on artificial intelligence and self-driving vehicles, as well as intellectual property rights and reducing export controls, Li said.
Beijing has previously tried without success to recruit Germany as an ally in its tariff war with President Donald Trump. While Merkel's government has echoed U.S. complaints, it objects to Trump's tactics, which he has also used against Europe.
US-China trade tensions have also impacted German businesses, Merkel said, adding that China and Germany hope to serve as models for defending multilateral trade relationships.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18092962-7429761-image-a-13_1567664066515

+10

Trump has warned that if he is re-elected, China will face a tougher U.S. negotiating stance. He is pictured here with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the G20 leaders summit in June
[size=18]China and US exchange more tariffs during Labor Day weekend

L
[/size]

Merkel is in Beijing with a high-ranking German business delegation that includes executives in the auto, financial services and transport industries. 
In recent years, German companies have been unhappy about being barred from acquiring most Chinese assets at a time when China's companies have been on a global buying spree.
The economic ties make it harder for Merkel to satisfy a U.S. diplomat and activists who have urged her to raise human rights issues such as China's treatment of ethnic minorities in Tibet and Xinjiang, as well as the three months of pro-democracy demonstrations that have roiled Hong Kong.
Richard Grenell, the U.S. ambassador to Germany, said Thursday that China's 'willful disregard of its commitments' to Hong Kong and human rights violations in Xinjiang show that its ruling Communist Party 'stands against the values Germany cherishes'.
'We hope that Chancellor Merkel will take a firm stance for the values that unified Germany after the fall of Communism: human rights, democracy and the rule of law,' he said.
Hong Kong activists also warned Merkel about dealing with 'authoritarian and unjust regimes' in an open letter published this week in Germany's Bild newspaper.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18143476-7433927-image-a-8_1567758742605

+10

Protesters cover one eye in reference to an injured demonstrator in Hong Kong as they stand outside the Chancellery in Berlin on Thursday to urge Merkel to show her support to the city
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18143458-7433927-image-a-9_1567758747475

+10

Hong Kong activists also warned Merkel about dealing with 'authoritarian and unjust regimes' in an open letter published this week in Germany's Bild newspaper
On the question of what Merkel might say about Hong Kong, a senior German official said the talks with Xi and Li will be conducted 'comprehensively in terms of thematic breadth, and open and friendly in terms of tone - with a readiness to express criticism where we think things are worthy of criticism.'
The official briefed reporters on condition of anonymity in line with department rules.
China has bristled at what it calls foreign interference from countries such as the U.S. and the UK on political tumult in Hong Kong, a semi-autonomous Chinese city where activists have staged three months of mass protests calling for democratic reforms and an independent enquiry into police conduct.
On Friday, Merkel will also visit German engineering company ZF Fredrichshafen in Beijing. 
She travels Saturday to Wuhan, the capital of central Hubei province, where she will inaugurate the plant expansion at German auto supplier Webasto and speak at Wuhan University.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 06 Sep 2019, 18:53

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7435585/Republicans-CANCEL-presidential-primary-elections-four-states-Trump-opponents-cry-foul.html

[size=34]Republicans CANCEL presidential primary elections in four states with more to come as Trump's long-shot opponents cry foul[/size]

• State parties in South Carolina, Nevada, Arizona and Kansas are nixing their primaries and caucuses

• President Trump enjoys extraordinarily high support among Republican Party members

• He is drawing challengers, however, including former Mass. Gov. William Weld and former Illinois Rep. Joe Walsh

• GOP opponents are blasting the move

• There is some precedent in prior cycles of state parties acting to protect incumbents 

By GEOFF EARLE, DEPUTY U.S. POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 10:51 EDT, 6 September 2019 UPDATED: 12:01 EDT, 6 September 2019

• [email=?subject=Read%20this:%20Republicans%20CANCEL%20presidential%20primary%20elections%20in%20four%20states%20with%20more%20to%20come%20as%20Trump%27s%20long-shot%20opponents%20cry%20foul&body=Republicans%20CANCEL%20presidential%20primary%20elections%20in%20four%20states%20with%20more%20to%20come%20as%20Trump%27s%20long-shot%20opponents%20cry%20foul%0A%0AThe%20state%20Republican%20parties%20in%20Arizona%2C%20South%20Carolina%2C%20and%20%20Kansas%20are%20on%20track%20to%20cancel%20their%20primary%20in%202020%2C%20in%20a%20boon%20to%20President%20Trump%2C%20who%20continues%20to%20exert%20control%20over%20the%20party.%0A%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-7435585%2FRepublicans-CANCEL-presidential-primary-elections-four-states-Trump-opponents-cry-foul.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top%0A%0A%0AMost%20Read%20Articles%3A%0A%0ATragedy%20as%20US%20country%20singer%20Kylie%20Rae%20Harris%2C%2030%2C%20is%20killed%20in%20three-car%20crash%20in%20New%20Mexico%20%27caused%20by%20alcohol%27%2C%20after%20sharing%20haunting%20Instagram%20story%20from%20behind%20the%20wheel%2C%20shortly%20before%20the%20accident%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-7432569%2FCountry-singer-Kylie-Rae-Harris-killed-car-crash.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0AMeghan%20Markle%20flies%20COMMERCIAL%21%20Duchess%20leaves%20four-month-old%20Archie%20at%20home%20for%20two-day%20trip%20to%20New%20York%20on%20public%20flight%20to%20watch%20her%20friend%20Serena%20Williams%20play%20in%20US%20Open%20in%20wake%20of%20private%20jet%20storm%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-7434713%2FMeghan-jets-New-York-watch-friend-Serena-Williams-play.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0AMeghan%20Markle%27s%20secret%20Hollywood%20advisers%3A%20Duchess%20%27alarms%20Buckingham%20Palace%20by%20keeping%20agent%2C%20lawyer%20and%20manager%20from%20her%20acting%20days%20-%20and%20using%20THEM%20to%20plot%20her%20future%2C%20instead%20of%20royal%20courtiers%27%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-7433275%2FDuchess-alarms-Buckingham-Palace-staff-keeping-agent-lawyer-manager-acting-days.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0A]e-mail[/email]

[size=32]49
shares

[/size]
[size=32]77[/size]
[size]

[/size]
View comments
[size]
[/size]

Four states are set to cancel their caucuses and primaries in a gift to President Donald Trump, prompting howls from his Republican opponents about being shut out. 
The state Republican parties in Arizona, South Carolina, and Kansas are on track to cancel their primary in 2020, and Nevada is on the way to nixing its caucus – even as Trump faces long-shot opponents with state and national political experience.
The efforts are part of an effort to set the table for a smooth renomination of Trump at the GOP's national convention in Charlotte, four years after he came to office in part by blasting the 'rigged' political system. 
One of Trump's Republican opponents, former Rep. Joe Walsh of Illinois, is attacking the moves.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18156724-7435585-image-a-3_1567781050777

+4

The cancellations of four state primaries and caucuses illustrated how the President Trump has effectively taken over the Republican Party, including the apparatus of many state parties
'It's wrong, the RNC should be ashamed of itself, and I think it does show that Trump is afraid of a serious primary challenge because he knows his support is very soft,' Walsh told Politico, hammering the Republican National Committee.

He called the moves 'undemocratic bull.' 
Walsh tweeted Friday: 'So to protect their King, the Republican Party is actually going to eliminate elections. Defend this Trump supporters. I dare ya.' 
He added in another tweet: 'Remember all the times back in 2016 when Donald Trump accused the Democrats of “rigging” the system to make sure Hillary got the nomination? I do. Well lookie here...the lying hypocrite is trying to “rig” the system in 2020.' 
Trump has run up huge leads among Republicans in opinion polls. He leads his top challenger, former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld, but 83 to 17 per cent in the latest Emerson poll.
The Trump campaign has not indicated the president would engage in primary debates. He won reelection against Democrat Hillary Clinton even as he blasted the political system as 'rigged.' 

RELATED ARTICLES

• Previous

• Next

• The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 15928158-0-image-m-10_1567781032782Former Trump campaign staffer who claims he 'forcibly...The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18157410-0-image-a-21_1567781725616Donald Trump says the 'economy is great' and 'the only thing...The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18152796-0-image-a-14_1567776462418Disgraced Billy Bush says he contemplated suicide after his...The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18153340-0-image-m-22_1567777287219Author encourages 'normal people' to avoid wearing any red...

[size]

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

[size=35]49 shares[/size]
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18156716-7435585-image-a-2_1567780987792

+4

Trump opponent former Republican Rep. Joe Walsh of Illinois blasted the cancellations
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18157650-7435585-image-a-11_1567782553181

+4

Republican presidential candidate former Massachusetts Governor Bill Weld (R-MA) said Trump 'wishes to be crowned as President rather than elected'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18157646-7435585-image-a-12_1567782557419

+4

Former South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford, who is to appear on 'Fox News Sunday' this weekend and may challenge Trump, would be denied the chance to run in a primary in his home state
[size=18]Trump says there is no collusion and that the system is rigged

Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
0:00

Previous
Play
Skip
Mute

[/size][/size]
Current Time0:00
/
Duration Time1:27
[size][size][size]
Fullscreen
Need Text

[/size][/size]
[size=18]Clinton protected by 'rigged system': Trump at 2016 rally

Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
0:00

Previous
Play
Skip
Mute

[/size][/size]
Current Time0:00
/
Duration Time1:41
[size][size][size]
Fullscreen
Need Text

[/size][/size]
Weld has also blasted the movie, saying the country doesn't elect president's 'by acclimation.' 
He tweeted Friday: 'Donald Trump, by turns arrogant and paranoid, has made no secret of the fact that he wishes to be crowned as President rather than elected. That might be fine in a monarchy, but we overthrew ours two centuries ago.' 
The moves are not unprecedented. South Carolina also didn't hold primaries in 1984 and 2004, when presidents Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush were seeking reelection. 
State party chairman Drew McKissick told DailyMail.com in a statement: 'Whether or not to hold a presidential primary is a decision made by our state executive committee every four years. There is strong precedent on the part of both parties to not hold a primary when they control the White House.'
The party says the decision will save taxpayers, who won't get the chance to participate in a GOP primary, $1.5 million. 
In December, the state chairman, told the Washington Examiner the party would do 'what's in the president's best interest.'
Among Trump's potential challengers is Rep. Mark Sanford, the former South Carolina governor. He is to appear on 'Fox News Sunday' this weekend. 
Sanford delayed a decision on a presidential run, which he had originally pegged to Labor Day.
Having various state leaders set the table for him politically hasn't prevented Trump from mocking Sanford, who lost a House primary himself as an incumbent in 2018, for his infamous absence while in office when he was revealed to be having an affair.
'Can you believe it? I'm at 94% approval in the Republican Party, and have Three Stooges running against me. One is 'Mr. Appalachian Trail' who was actually in Argentina for bad reasons...,' Trump wrote.  
RNC members voted at their winter meeting in New Mexico to offer 'undivided support for President Donald J. Trump and his effective Presidency' in a symbolic move that illustrated the small power of the opposition.  
 [/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 07 Sep 2019, 21:21

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7438631/Military-spent-11m-refueling-airport-near-Trumps-golf-resort-troops-stayed-overnight.html

[size=34]House Oversight committee is investigating military spending at Trump's Scottish golf resort as it's revealed troops spent $11million refueling at the closest airport and air force guards stayed overnight[/size]

• The US military has stopped at Prestwick Airport 629 times since October 2017

• The total cost of all those refueling stops is $11million and is 'substantially' more than was spent there before Trump took office

• Prestwick is the closest airport to Turnberry, Trump's luxury golf resort 

• In the spring, five US air force guards stayed overnight at Turnberry during a routine mission to deliver supplies to Kuwait

• Turnberry is 20 miles from the airport and considerably more expensive than alternatives which are closer 

• The food at Turnberry was so expensive the air guardsmen's daily allowances did not cover it  

• The House Committee has asked the Pentagon for all its files on the military's spending both at Prestwick and the hotel 

• Both Prestwick Airport and Turnberry have been losing money for the last few years 

• When Trump took office, he says he signed over all his business interests to his family 

By JENNIFER SMITH FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 13:57 EDT, 7 September 2019 | UPDATED: 14:59 EDT, 7 September 2019

The House Oversight committee is investigating whether President Trump has been bolstering his luxury golf resort in Scotland with the defense department after learning that the military spent $11million on refueling at its closest airport and air force guards spent the night there during a routine mission to the Middle East. 
Politico reported on Saturday that the investigation began in April, when members of the committee learned about the overnight stop and fuel stops. 
Since October 2017, the defense department has logged 629 requests for fuel purchases at Prestwick Airport - the tiny airport which is closest to Turnberry, Trump's money-losing resort. 
In total, the purchases cost $11million and it marks a 'substantial' increase in the amount US military has spent at the airport since Trump took office. 

In previous years, it is reported, they would stop at airbases in Europe, where the fuel is cheaper. The team could have stopped at Lakenheath Airbase, the U.S. Air Forces in Europe's only F-15 fighter wing, which is 380 miles away.
As the news emerged on Saturday, democrats including Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez called for the president to be impeached.  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18194952-7438631-image-a-1_1567878818264

+5

President Trump at Turnberry, his luxury golf resort in Scotland, in June 2016. The House Oversight committee is investigating military spending at the resort and at the closest airport 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18194954-7438631-image-a-3_1567878821224

+5

The cover of the letter that was sent to the Pentagon in June demanding answers about the trip and the military's spending in Scotland 
Coupled with the fuel purchases is an overnight stay at Turnberry in spring when five air force guards spent the night there on their way to Kuwait. 
The resort is 20 miles from the airport, where the five-man team from the 176th maintenance squadron refueled. 
At around $160-a-night, the five star hotel is also considerably more expensive than the dozens of alternatives which are both closer to the airport and independent from the Trump family.

According to senior Democrats who spoke anonymously to Politico about the probe, the air force guards were shocked by the extravagant choice in hotel. 
Typically, military bosses opt for cheaper options like Marriott or Hilton.
Turnberry is so much more luxurious than their normal overnight stops that the troops' daily allowance for meals was not enough to cover food at the resort. 
It remains unclear how much the military paid for the rooms the five military personnel stayed in and, according to Politico, the Pentagon has ignored requests for the information. 
'The Defense Department has not produced a single document in this investigation. 
'The committee will be forced to consider alternative steps if the Pentagon does not begin complying voluntarily in the coming days,' said one democrat. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18194956-7438631-image-a-2_1567878819605

+5

At $163-a-night on average, the hotel is considerably more expensive than the many alternatives that are closer to Prestwick Airport, where the air force guards refueled 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18194958-7438631-image-a-4_1567878907007

+5

Prestwick Airport in Glasgow is a tiny airport that happens to be the closest one to Turnberry. It is a small operation and is losing money, so much so that it is now being sold off by the Scottish government. Despite its problems, the US military has spent $11million refueling there since October 2017 and the House Committee says it is 'substantially more' than was spent before Trump took office 
The committee's concern is compounded by the fact that despite Prestwick Airport losing money since 2013 and now being sold by the Scottish government, the amount of money the US military is spending there has increased. 
'Despite Prestwick Airport's struggling operations, US military expenditure at the airport appears to have increased substantially since the election,' wrote chairmen Elijah Cummings and Jamie Raskin in a June request to the Pentagon for information. 
Prestwick Airport has also offered discounted rooms at Turnberry to commercial airline crew and passengers and has touted free rounds of golf to US veterans. 
The committee chairmen said in their letter that the scenario points to a major conflict in interest. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18195426-7438631-image-a-12_1567879931676

+5

Firebrand Democrat Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez called for Trump to be impeached on Saturday 
'Given the President's continued financial stake in his Scotland golf courses, these reports raise questions about his potential receipt of US or foreign government emoluments in violation of the U.S. constitution and raise other serious conflict of interest concerns,' they said. 
Trump bought Turnberry in 2014 for close to $44million. 
He made the transaction under the company Golf Recreation Scotland and took out $146million in loans from Trump's personal trust in New York to pay for them. 
When he took office, the president signed over ownership of the Trump Organization to his family.Part of the Trump Organization is Trump Hotels, which Turnberry belongs to. 
The Trump Organization did not immediately respond to DailyMail.com's inquiry on Saturday afternoon.  
ADVERTISEMENT

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 07 Sep 2019, 21:44

Wasn't there a military base where they could have refueled instead of using private facilities? And if they had to use private lodgings it shouldn't have been anything owned by or connected to drumpf!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 07 Sep 2019, 22:04

Yep. This is unheard of - and he clearly desperate to make money from his hotels. He just seems to get away with it all the time

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 08 Sep 2019, 00:14

It seems to me that he sees everything as a means to make money. It's the only thing he values. Everything and everyone else is a tool for him to use to make more money. That he's so blatantly flaunting the Emoluments Clause and the basic rules regarding the presidency makes me wonder if his businesses aren't losing money and he's getting desperate.

When he leaves office he might find it difficult to do business the way he used to. Too many of his business practices have been exposed and have led to the possibility of prosecution after his presidency ends. A lot of banks and businesses might not want to risk getting caught up in his mess.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 08 Sep 2019, 22:04

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7441279/New-York-film-student-jailed-Russia-weeks-agents-caught-medical-marijuana.html

[size=34]New York film student, 19, has been in a Russian jail for WEEKS after agents caught her with 19 grams of medical marijuana while she was enjoying a European vacation with her mother[/size]

• Audrey Lorber, of Staten Island, was arrested at Pulkovo Airport in St Petersburg after Russian agents found 19 grams of marijuana on her person

• The teen showed the agents her prescription for medical marijuana in the US

• The Moscow District Court of St Petersburg said Audrey's prescription 'does not apply to the territory of the Russian Federation'

• The court announced the charges last week but did not specify the arrest date 

• Audrey's most recent Instagram post, dated July 22, shows the Pace University film student touring St Petersburg with her mom, Rochelle Lorber 

• Her supervisor at Waterside Restaurant in Tottenville said he talked to Rochelle two weeks ago as the mom worked desperately to get her daughter out of jail

• Joey Guli said Rochelle rented an apartment in St Petersburg in hopes that Audrey would be released on house arrest, but the court denied that request 

By MEGAN SHEETS FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 16:13 EDT, 8 September 2019 | UPDATED: 16:44 EDT, 8 September 2019

A 19-year-old from Staten Island, New York, has been jailed in Russia after she was caught with marijuana while on vacation with her mother.  
Audrey Lorber was arrested at Pulkovo Airport in St Petersburg when Russian agents found 19 grams of marijuana - worth about $375 - on her person, according to a statement from the Moscow District Court of St Petersburg.
The teen has a prescription for medical marijuana in the US, which she showed to the agents. However, the Russian court said the prescription 'does not apply to the territory of the Russian Federation'.  
The statement did not specify when Audrey was arrested but she is believed to have been in custody for at least two weeks. 

She pleaded guilty to the charges and is now awaiting trial, according to the statement.  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18226008-7441279-image-a-76_1567970878625

+7

Audrey Lorber, a 19-year-old from Staten Island, New York, is being held in a Russian jail after agents at a St Petersburg airport found marijuana in her possession. Russian officials have not disclosed when Audrey was arrested, but she hasn't posted on social media since July 22, when she shared an Instagram photo (above) with her mom, Rochelle Lorber, in St Petersburg
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18225910-7441279-image-a-80_1567970953623

+7

Audrey was arrested at Pulkovo Airport after Russian agents found 19 grams of cannabis- worth about $375 - on her person, according to a statement from the Moscow District Court of St Petersburg. Officials said the teen's medical marijuana prescription is not valid in Russia 
Audrey's most recent Instagram post, dated July 22, shows her touring St Petersburg with her mom, Rochelle Lorber. 
The pair are seen giggling at the edge of the Gulf of Finland, blissfully unaware of the legal trouble ahead of them.  
Audrey's supervisor at Waterside Restaurant in Tottenville told the New York Post he talked to Rochelle two weeks ago as the mother was desperately working to get her daughter out of jail. 
'She's hysterical,' Joey Guli said of Rochelle, a retired New York City school teacher. 
'She moved out there and got an apartment just to try to get [Audrey] on house arrest, but they didn’t give it to her. 
'It's disgusting what they did. They are trying to throw the book at her.' 

Guli described Audrey as a stellar employee who has worked at Waterside for several summers in between terms at Pace University in New York City. 
The film major is attending the school on scholarship and maintains a 4.0 grade point average, Guli said.  
'She has a career ahead of her and wants to be in the movie industry,' he said. 'All my customers love her.'
Guli noted that he has never seen Audrey smoking marijuana or visibly high. It is unclear why she has a medical marijuana prescription. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18225978-7441279-image-a-78_1567970939521

+7

Audrey's mother Rochelle shared several photos of their European adventure on Facebook. the teen's supervisor at Waterside Restaurant in Tottenville, New York, said he talked to Rochelle two weeks ago as the mother was desperately working to get her daughter out of jail
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18225984-7441279-image-a-79_1567970945938

+7

Rochelle shared this photo of Audrey sipping tea at Palacio Nicolaievsky in St Petersburg
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18225916-7441279-image-a-77_1567970933786

+7

Audrey is pictured at Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna on July 16, days before arriving in Russia 
Russian officials said Audrey said the cannabis she was caught with in St Petersburg had been purchased in the US and that she used it for 'personal consumption'. 
A US State Department spokesperson issued the following statement about Audrey's situation to DailyMail.com on Sunday: 'We are aware of reports of a U.S. citizen arrested in Russia. Whenever a U.S. citizen is arrested overseas, we stand ready to provide all appropriate consular services. Due to privacy considerations, we have no further comment at this time.'
Russia imprisons more people per capita for drug crimes than any other nation in Europe, with roughly one fourth of all prisoners jailed for drug-related offenses, according to the Moscow Times.  
Most arrests - including Audrey's - are under Article 228 of the Russian Criminal Code. In 2018, 100,000 people were arrested for that charge, which carries a maximum sentence of three years.  
Earlier this year American-Israeli citizen Naama Issachar, 25, was arrested in Moscow and charged with smuggling nine grams of marijuana into Russia. 
Issachar was detained in the airport ahead of a connecting flight from India to Israel via Moscow. Her trial was set to start last week after more than four months in custody.  
Despite its strict enforcement of drug laws, Russia allowed attendees of the 2018 World Cup to bring heroin, cocaine and marijuana into the stadium as long as they had a doctor's note written in Russian.   
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18225918-7441279-Audrey_is_currently_studying_film_at_Pace_University_in_New_York-m-83_1567971674503

+7

Audrey is currently studying film at Pace University in New York City
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18225912-7441279-image-a-82_1567971637496

+7

The teen's boss described her as a stellar employee as well as a straight-A student

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 08 Sep 2019, 23:01

Incredible. Why have we not heard of this before?!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 09 Sep 2019, 01:12

Sad story. I hope she comes home soon, and safely.

... But does anyone else think she looks a lot older than nineteen?

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 09 Sep 2019, 01:44

I think it depends on which photo you look at. What I don't understand is why she didn't check out the laws before she went to Russia. There have been horror stories for years about American kids getting locked up abroad for drug possession.

Even with a prescription weed still isn't consideed medication in a lot of places. Seems to me she should have been a lot more careful.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 09 Sep 2019, 04:06

That was my reaction after reading this story. The drug possession charges in many foreign countries can be really harsh. It was at the very least careless of her not to have checked what the laws are in Russia regarding prescription marijuana. It is awful that she is in a Russian jail. How scary for her. Hope this can be resolved soon.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 09 Sep 2019, 08:57

Her mother should have checked on the law in Russian instead of assuming they could take the pot with them.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 09 Sep 2019, 09:02

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7442349/Evacuees-Bahamas-stranded-residents-without-visa-forced-ferry-US.html

[size=34]Evacuees from the Bahamas are left stranded on devastated islands after residents without a visa are forced to get off rescue ferry to Florida - days after lawmakers begged Trump to waive the rules[/size]

• About 130 people fleeing the Bahamas were forced off a ferry before it left for Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Sunday evening 

• Bahamians were left stunned and confused after initially being told they could board with just a passport and police record 

• But before the boat left, an announcement was made telling over 100 people without US visas that they needed to disembark 

• This comes just days after Florida lawmakers Marco Rubio and Rick Scott urged President Trump to waive or suspend visa requirements for Bahama citizens

• Footage from inside the rescue ferry shows hoards of people - including children - exiting the ferry and left stuck on the land devastated by Hurricane Dorian 

• Dorian has killed at least 46 people after it struck the Bahamas last Sunday as a Category 5 storm with winds as fast as 185mph

By KAYLA BRANTLEY FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 01:49 EDT, 9 September 2019 | UPDATED: 03:35 EDT, 9 September 2019

More than 100 people attempting to flee the devastation in the Bahamas have been kicked off a rescue boat bound for Florida for not having a US visa.
About 130 Bahamians in Freeport were forced off a ferry before it left on Sunday evening after a surprise announcement was made on board barring those without a visa from entering the US for refuge.  
'Please, any person that doen't have a US visa please proceed to disembark,' the announcement rang over the loudspeaker on board, leaving Bahamians stunned and confused after initially being told they could board with just a passport and police record. 
This comes just days after Florida lawmakers Marco Rubio and Rick Scott urged President Trump to waive or suspend visa requirements for Bahama citizens who have relatives in the US and are seeking refuge after Hurricane Dorian swept through the islands. 

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 FSyK4nV2_normal

Brian Entin

✔@BrianEntin

[ltr]Big problems on the ferry from Freeport to Florida — announcement just made that any Bahamian without a visa must now get off. This is not normal. Nornally Bahamians can travel to USA with passport and a printout of their police record. This is a mess.[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 I59XnGirIqcgenrl?format=jpg&name=small

7:44 PM - Sep 8, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

[ltr]

16.3K people are talking about this

[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18238936-7442349-image-a-1_1568005262520

+6

About 130 Bahamians in Freeport were forced off a ferry before it left for Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Sunday evening

Brian Entin

✔@BrianEntin

[ltr]Another announcement just made ordering any Bahamian without a US visa to disembark ferry — not allowed to evacuate. They were told before boarding it was ok with Bahamian passport and clean polce record. Something has now changed.[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 3FPT0umYxSaSp0Dc?format=jpg&name=small

8:02 PM - Sep 8, 2019

[ltr]

2,412 people are talking about this

[/ltr]

Hundreds of evacuees lines up for hours to board the ferry to Fort Lauderdale.  
But footage from inside the rescue ferry shows hoards of people - including children - exiting the ferry, leaving them stranded on the land devastated by Hurricane Dorian. 
'They originally said you can come with a police record and without a visa and now they're taking that back,' one woman on the ship told journalist Brian Entin as the boat pulled out of the dock. 'That's really ridiculous. That's awful,' 
Renard Oliver, who was forced off the ferry in Freeport, spoke as he held his daughter in his arms. 
'They got a call from CBP [Customs and Border Protection] and CBP told them that everyone who doesn't have a US visa and who is traveling on police record has to come off,' Oliver said. 
'Normally you can use police record by way of airplane at least. So I have to take my baby off. At the last minute like this is kind of disappointed. It's hurtful watching my daughters cry.' 
Entin said the ferry crew were initially told to accept Bahamian evacuees with a passport and a copy of police record, and so they boarded the boat without issue. 
But 'when they sent manifest to US Customs and Border Patrol - they were told those without visas would not be accepted,' he said. 
It's not clear who ordered to have the evacuees without visas taken off the ship. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18238892-7442349-image-a-3_1568006476449

+6

Renard Oliver, who was forced off the ferry from Freeport to Florida, spoke as he held his daughter in his arms

Brian Entin

✔@BrianEntin

[ltr]Hundreds like Renard Oliver and his baby now have to get off the ferry from Freeport, Bahamas to Florida. He was trying to evacuate — told he could leave with Bahamian passport and police record like normal but then ferry crew says US Goverment called and changed plan last minute[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 C1i8LBJT3zwzDK9A?format=jpg&name=small

7:53 PM - Sep 8, 2019

[ltr]

6,847 people are talking about this

[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18239674-7442349-image-a-2_1568006456127

+6

Bahamians were left stunned and confused after initially being told they could board with just a passport and police record
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18240730-7442349-image-a-8_1568007830455

+6

Last week Florida lawmakers Marco Rubio and Rick Scott urged President Trump to waive or suspend visa requirements for Bahama citizens in this letter 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18240500-7442349-image-a-7_1568007823816

+6

People wait to be evacuated to Nassau via a ferry at Marsh Harbor Port, in Abaco Island, Bahamas, Saturday, Sept. 7, 2019

On Friday, the Grand Celebration cruise ship took as many as 1,000 hurricane refugees to the US without any issue regarding visas. 
Hundreds were turned away only after the cruise ship was filled to capacity.  
'This is not normal. Normally Bahamians can travel to USA with passport and a printout of their police record. This is a mess,' Etin said on Twitter. 
Hurricane Dorian has killed at least 46 people after striking the Bahamas last Sunday as a Category 5 storm with winds as fast as 185mph. 
It caused mass destruction, turning houses into matchsticks and damaging airports and a public hospital. 
Up to 70,000 people in the Bahamas are in need of 'life-saving assistance' while Great Abaco is said to be virtually uninhabitable, with bodies piled up and witnesses saying there is a 'smell of death' with corpses floating in the water.  
The nephew of actor Sidney Poitier said that more than 23 members of his family are feared missing in the aftermath of hurricane Dorian. 
Jeffrey Poitier, 66, said that as of Thursday there was still no news from the relatives, including his sister Barbara and his adult children in Freeport, Bahamas. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18156370-7440037-The_image_above_shows_the_devastation_left_after_the_storm_passe-a-2_1567927842123

+6

The image above shows the devastation left after the storm passed Abaco Island. The death toll from devastating Hurricane Dorian will be 'staggering' with thousands still missing, officials have warned amid reports looters are 'trying to shoot people' in the scramble for food and water

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 09 Sep 2019, 09:05

[size=34]Trump slams 'filthy mouthed' Chrissy Teigen and 'boring' John Legend for 'stealing all his credit' for new criminal justice reforms - sparking late night Twitter war between the president and celebrity couple[/size]

• Trump without mentioning Chrissy Teigen by name slammed her and her husband, John Legend, for 'taking the praise' for his criminal justice policies 

• Legend was featured on NBC criminal justice segment with Lester Holt Sunday

• Following segment, Trump tweeted about singer, calling him a 'boring musician' 

• He then called Teigen 'filthy mouthed' during his response to the NBC segment 

• Teigen quickly responded to Trump's comments, calling him a 'p*ssy a** b**ch'

• Legend tweeted that the president just needs First Lady Melania to 'praise him'

By DAILYMAIL.COM REPORTER
PUBLISHED: 01:55 EDT, 9 September 2019 | UPDATED: 03:37 EDT, 9 September 2019

President Donald Trump has slammed 'boring' John Legend and his 'filthy mouthed wife' Chrissy Teigen for stealing all of his credit for new criminal justice reforms in late-night Twitter war.
The president was having what Teigen called a 'meltdown' Sunday night on Twitter when he took aim at the TV host and model and her multiple Grammy award-winning husband.
Trump's tweets followed Lester Holt's NBC Nightly News segment about criminal justice reform.
The special featured Legend, who is the founder of FREEAMERICA, an organization that raises awareness for criminal justice reform. 

'When all of the people pushing so hard for Criminal Justice Reform were unable to come even close to getting it done, they came to me as a group and asked for my help. I got it done with a group of Senators & others who would never have gone for it. Obama couldn’t come close,' Trump wrote in the first tweet. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18239448-7442429-image-a-57_1568006334427

+9
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18239454-7442429-image-m-56_1568006327823

+9

President Donald Trump called out John Legend and his 'filthy mouthed wife' Chrissy Teigen in a series of tweets that claim the stars are stealing his credit for new criminal justice reforms
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18239160-7442429-image-a-58_1568006362449

+9

The president was having what Teigen called a 'meltdown' Sunday night on Twitter when he took aim at the model and television host and her multiple Grammy Award winner husband 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18239158-7442429-image-a-59_1568006366644

+9

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18239162-7442429-image-a-60_1568006367913

+9

'A man named @VanJones68 and many others, were profusely grateful (at that time!). I SIGNED IT INTO LAW, no one else did, & Republicans deserve much credit. But now that it is passed, people that had virtually nothing to do with it are taking the praise. Guys like boring..... 
'....musician @johnlegend and his filthy mouthed wife, are talking now about how great it is - but I didn’t see them around when we needed help getting it passed. “Anchor”@LesterHoltNBC doesn’t even bring up the subject of President Trump or the Republicans when talking about...' the president continued. 
Trump did not mention Teigen by name nor did he tag Teigen, who has been an outspoken critic of Trump for nearly a decade, in his tweets. 

Teigen and Legend immediately responded to Trump's tweets. 
'Imagine being president of a whole country and spending your Sunday night hate-watching MSNBC hoping somebody--ANYBODY--will praise you. Melania, please praise this man. He needs you,' Legend wrote. 
'Your country needs you, Melania,' Legend continued before sharing a GIF of the first lady and Justin Trudeau with the caption: 'Ah yes, Melania is otherwise occupied. My apologies, @realDonaldTrump.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18240380-7442429-Trump_s_tweets_followed_Lester_Holt_s_right_NBC_Nightly_News_seg-m-92_1568007698920

+9

Trump's tweets followed Lester Holt's (right) NBC Nightly News segment about criminal justice reform. The special featured Legend (left), who is the founder of FREEAMERICA, an organization that raises awareness for criminal justice reform
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18240002-7442429-image-a-66_1568006776363

Teigen and Legend (tweet pictured) immediately responded to Trump's tweets
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18240004-7442429-image-a-65_1568006768072

+9

'Your country needs you, Melania,' Legend continued before sharing a GIF of the first lady and Justin Trudeau with the caption: 'Ah yes, Melania is otherwise occupied. My apologies, @realDonaldTrump'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18239182-7442429-image-a-68_1568006815863

Unlike her husband, Teigen did not mince words. 'lol what a p*ssy a** b**ch. tagged everyone but me. an honor, mister president,' Teigen tweeted
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18239484-7442429-image-a-67_1568006810358

+9

She followed that one up with a photo of herself and her family's dog Luna (pictured)

+9

Unlike her husband, Teigen did not mince words. 
'lol what a p*ssy a** b**ch. tagged everyone but me. an honor, mister president,' Teigen tweeted. 
She followed that one up with a photo of herself and her family's dog Luna that had the caption: 'Luna, remember the night before your first day of school? When mommy was making your sign and the p*ssy a** b**ch president had his 9th meltdown of the day.'
Teigen didn't stop there and added a GIF of her own with the caption: 'the absolute best part of his tweet is I literally didn't speak in the special, nor was I mentioned. I'm cackling at the pointless addition of me because he cannot not be a b**ch.' 
In his tweets, the president was apparently referring to criminal justice reforms such as the First Step Act, which Congress passed last year. 
The First Step Act gives judges more discretion when sentencing some drug offenders and boosts prisoner rehabilitation efforts.
Nearly 3,100 inmates were freed from federal prisons in July, just months after the new bill recalculated their good-behavior time in prison.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 09 Sep 2019, 09:08

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7442287/Democrats-amassing-huge-2020-trove-opposition-research-use-against-Trump.html

[size=34]Democrats are amassing a 2020 trove of opposition research to weaponize against Trump in key battlegrounds that includes information from 7,000 lawsuits from nearly 50 states[/size]

• Democrats have gathered information from 7,000 lawsuits from nearly 50 states

• Information includes documentation about every time Trump told supporters at his 2016 campaign rallies that Mexico would pay for the wall

• The Democrats will use the research against the president in the 2020 election, particularly in key battlegrounds states  

• Information was gathered through news articles and interviews with residents in states like Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Arizona, Colorado, Florida and Texas

PUBLISHED: 23:23 EDT, 8 September 2019 | UPDATED: 03:06 EDT, 9 September 2019

The Democrats have reportedly amassed a huge 2020 trove of opposition research that will be used against President Donald Trump in key battlegrounds states. 
According to Axios, the Democratic research team has gathered information from 7,000 lawsuits across nearly 50 states. 
The information includes documentation about every time Trump told supporters at his 2016 campaign rallies that Mexico would pay for the wall.    
A source told Axios that the data will likely find its way to local reporters, groups and Democrats in battleground states as Trump diverts funds from the military to pay for his border wall.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18237468-7442287-image-a-8_1567998723497

+3

The Democrats have reportedly amassed a huge 2020 trove of opposition research that will be used against President Donald Trump (pictured) in key battlegrounds states
Democrats also have examples of what farmers and truckers say they feel about Trump's tariffs and how the GOP tax law hurt truckers.

The information was gathered through local news articles and cable interviews with residents in states like Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Arizona, Colorado, Florida and Texas.
According to Axios, 'thousands' of Freedom of Information Act requests have been filed in order to obtain more information about Trump.

Democratic National Committee Chairman Tom Perez said during a meeting with Democratic strategists last week that Democrats want to 'prosecute the case that he [Trump] is bad at his job and it is hurting people in real ways', a source in attendance claimed. 
The goal is to 'make it about [Trump's] performance as president, not his bigotry or awfulness'.  
Another source told Axios that there are 'so many ways' Trump's policies have really hurt people. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18237878-7442287-image-a-17_1568000686456

+3

Democratic National Committee Chairman Tom Perez (pictured) said during a meeting with Democratic strategists last week that Democrats want to 'prosecute the case that he [Trump] is bad at his job and it is hurting people in real ways'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17847638-7406947-image-a-55_1567111220913

+3

The news comes ahead of the Democratic debate that takes place in Houston this week with only 10 Democrats taking the stage (depicted above)
'Let's say he goes to Youngstown, Ohio. We have everything he said, what he promised in 2016 to that community - maybe it's "that bridge will be fixed" ' then we'll show what's actually happened since,' the source told the site. 
The news comes ahead of the Democratic debate that takes place in Houston this week with only 10 Democrats taking the stage.   
September's debate will be one night only, putting top tier candidates Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris and Bernie Sanders all on stage together for the first time along with Pete Buttigieg, Cory Booker, Amy Klobuchar, Beto O'Rourke, Julian Castro and Andrew Yang. 
It will be a three-hour event, taking place from 8pm until 11pm. Candidates will give opening statements but not closing statements. 
But October's debate could return to a two-night event as the candidates who missed the September cut off look ahead to the next stage. 
For September and October's debate, candidates need 130,000 donors plus 2 per cent in four pre-determined polls. 
[size=18]Bu[/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 09 Sep 2019, 13:35

Excellent!

Do hope this is one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNX5OuKpWqA&feature=youtu.be

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 09 Sep 2019, 14:25

PAN - Two points: First, this video was posted almost two years ago and as far as I know nothing's come of it since.

Second, I don't think too many Republican voters would care. It's too far above their pay grade - too abstract. They're more concerned with the day-to-day issues that affect their lives (as we all are) - job security, health care, safe environment, etc.. A billionaire lying about his money is par for the course. (Ex: drumpf is president! They don't care where his money comes from as long as he says what they want to hear.)
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 09 Sep 2019, 22:31

[size=34]Bahamas have 'some very, very bad drug dealers' says Donald Trump as he DEFENDS stopping people fleeing Hurricane Dorian catastrophe from getting on ferries to the U.S. without visas[/size]

• President Trump said everyone leaving the Bahamas for the U.S. must have 'proper documentation'

•  He said there were 'some very bad people and some very bad gang members' as well as drug dealers that weren't supposed to be in the Bahamas that might seek to emigrate

• About 130 people fleeing the Bahamas were forced off a ferry before it left for Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Sunday evening 

• Bahamians were left stunned and confused after initially being told they could board with just a passport and police record 

• But before the boat left, an announcement was made telling over 100 people without US visas that they needed to disembark 

• This comes just days after Florida lawmakers Marco Rubio and Rick Scott urged President Trump to waive or suspend visa requirements for Bahama citizens

• Footage from inside the rescue ferry shows hoards of people - including children - exiting the ferry and left stuck on the land devastated by Hurricane Dorian 

• Dorian has killed at least 46 people after it struck the Bahamas last Sunday as a Category 5 storm with winds as fast as 185mph

By GEOFF EARLE, DEPUTY U.S. POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and KAYLA BRANTLEY FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 15:53 EDT, 9 September 2019 | UPDATED: 17:18 EDT, 9 September 2019

President Donald Trump called for the nation to be 'very careful' about admitting refugees fleeing the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian unleashed massive destruction on the islands – saying he wants to keep 'drug dealers' and 'bad people' out.
'Everybody needs totally proper documentation,' Trump said, hours after a ferry carrying people fleeing the storm's path of destruction told those lacking a proper visa to disembark. 
'We recovering from the hurricane, also,' Trump said, pointing to hurricane damage on the East Coast that failed to measure up to the worst early forecasts. His comments came during a 25-minute question-and-answer sessions withe reporters that touched on the breakdown in negotiations with the Taliban and other topics.
A pair of Republican senators from Florida have written Trump urging him to waive certain visa requirements to assist in recovery from the disaster. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18267710-7445137-image-a-7_1568061020748

+7

'I don't want to allow people that weren't supposed to be in the Bahamas to come in to the United States, including some very bad people,' Trump said Monday, hours after a ferry turned away people who lacked a visa to enter the U.S.
'So we're also recovering from a hurricane,' Trump said as he left the White House for a visit to North Carolina, which also sustained damage. 'But we have to be very careful. Everybody needs totally proper documentation,' Trump said.

'Look, the Bahamas had some tremendous problems with people going to the Bahamas that weren't supposed to be there. I don't want to allow people that weren't supposed to be in the Bahamas to come in to the United States, including some very bad people and some very bad gang members and some very, very bad drug dealers,' Trump said, without offering further explanation.
'So we are going to be very, very strong on that.' He also said U.S. relief agencies would focus on moving people around within the Bahamas to get them to more stable areas.
'Let me just explain. Large sections, believe it or not, of the Bahamas were not hit. And what we're doing is bringing the people to those sections of the Bahamas that have not been hit,' Trump said.  
The islands have seen a spike in violent crime, and sometimes serve as a transit point for illicit drugs making their way to the U.S. Trump on other occasions has used the threat of potential drug dealers to keep out immigrants.
During his 2015 campaign launch, Trump famously said of Mexico: 'When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best ... They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.' 
After controversy over the ferry incident, border officials said residents of the Bahamas should be able to at least apply for entry with a valid passport and a printout of their police record. 
More than 100 people attempting to flee the devastation in the Bahamas have been kicked off a rescue boat bound for Florida for not having a US visa.
About 130 Bahamians in Freeport were forced off a ferry before it left on Sunday evening after a surprise announcement was made on board barring those without a visa from entering the US for refuge.  
'Please, any person that doesn't have a US visa please proceed to disembark,' the announcement rang over the loudspeaker on board, leaving Bahamians stunned and confused after initially being told they could board with just a passport and police record. 
This comes just days after Florida lawmakers Marco Rubio and Rick Scott urged President Trump to waive or suspend visa requirements for Bahama citizens who have relatives in the US and are seeking refuge after Hurricane Dorian swept through the islands. 

Brian Entin

✔@BrianEntin

[ltr]Big problems on the ferry from Freeport to Florida — announcement just made that any Bahamian without a visa must now get off. This is not normal. Nornally Bahamians can travel to USA with passport and a printout of their police record. This is a mess.[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 I59XnGirIqcgenrl?format=jpg&name=small

7:44 PM - Sep 8, 2019

[ltr]

31.9K people are talking about this

[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18238936-7442349-About_130_Bahamians_in_Freeport_were_forced_off_a_ferry_before_i-a-3_1568043510010

+7

About 130 Bahamians in Freeport were forced off a ferry before it left for Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Sunday evening

Brian Entin

✔@BrianEntin

[ltr]Another announcement just made ordering any Bahamian without a US visa to disembark ferry — not allowed to evacuate. They were told before boarding it was ok with Bahamian passport and clean polce record. Something has now changed.[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 3FPT0umYxSaSp0Dc?format=jpg&name=small

8:02 PM - Sep 8, 2019

[ltr]

4,099 people are talking about this

[/ltr]

Hundreds of evacuees lines up for hours to board the ferry to Fort Lauderdale.  
But footage from inside the rescue ferry shows hoards of people - including children - exiting the ferry, leaving them stranded on the land devastated by Hurricane Dorian. 

Bahamian government denies it is suppressing Dorian death toll as latest official figures show just 44 dead

The Bahamian government has denied claims it is suppressing the Dorian death toll, as the latest official count of just 44 falls well below what residents have reported. 
Locals say the latest official figure does not match with the oppressive stench and sight of the dead. 
But health minister, Duane Sands, told the Miami Herald: 'I am actually a bit concerned that the focus has been for some people the body count. It is not the priority. 
'The priority is find those people for their loved ones who are missing them; to take care, provide comfort to those people who are hurt, who are suffering, that's the priority. To put food in people's bellies, water in their throat.' 
Hundreds or even thousands of people were still missing, officials said, as rescue teams continued their grim retrievals.
Sands told the Herald: 'We've heard the numbers, a 1,000, 200, 500, 600. We've heard all of the claims.
'The language I have used and the language that the prime minister has used and all of the cabinet, and (the National Emergency Management Agency), has been a description of the number of confirmed deaths - these are people in the morgue.'

'They originally said you can come with a police record and without a visa and now they're taking that back,' one woman on the ship told WSVN journalist Brian Entin as the boat pulled out of the dock. 'That's really ridiculous. That's awful,' 
Renard Oliver, who was forced off the ferry in Freeport, spoke as he held his daughter in his arms. 
'They got a call from CBP [Customs and Border Protection] and CBP told them that everyone who doesn't have a US visa and who is traveling on police record has to come off,' Oliver said. 
'Normally you can use police record by way of airplane at least. So I have to take my baby off. At the last minute like this is kind of disappointed. It's hurtful watching my daughters cry.' 
Entin said the ferry crew were initially told to accept Bahamian evacuees with a passport and a copy of police record, and so they boarded the boat without issue. 
But 'when they sent manifest to US Customs and Border Patrol - they were told those without visas would not be accepted,' he said. 
It's not clear who ordered to have the evacuees without visas taken off the ship. 
On Friday, the Grand Celebration cruise ship took as many as 1,000 hurricane refugees to the US without any issue regarding visas. 
Hundreds were turned away only after the cruise ship was filled to capacity.  
'This is not normal. Normally Bahamians can travel to USA with passport and a printout of their police record. This is a mess,' Etin said on Twitter. 
Hurricane Dorian has killed at least 46 people after striking the Bahamas last Sunday as a Category 5 storm with winds as fast as 185mph. 

WSVN Privacy Policy

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18238892-7442349-Renard_Oliver_who_was_forced_off_the_ferry_from_Freeport_to_Flor-a-4_1568043519684

+7

Renard Oliver, who was forced off the ferry from Freeport to Florida, spoke as he held his daughter in his arms

Brian Entin

✔@BrianEntin

[ltr]Hundreds like Renard Oliver and his baby now have to get off the ferry from Freeport, Bahamas to Florida. He was trying to evacuate — told he could leave with Bahamian passport and police record like normal but then ferry crew says US Goverment called and changed plan last minute[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 C1i8LBJT3zwzDK9A?format=jpg&name=small

7:53 PM - Sep 8, 2019

[ltr]

15.9K people are talking about this

[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18239674-7442349-Bahamians_were_left_stunned_and_confused_after_initially_being_t-a-5_1568043533666

+7

Bahamians were left stunned and confused after initially being told they could board with just a passport and police record
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18240730-7442349-image-a-8_1568007830455

+7

Last week Florida lawmakers Marco Rubio and Rick Scott urged President Trump to waive or suspend visa requirements for Bahama citizens in this letter 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18240500-7442349-People_wait_to_be_evacuated_to_Nassau_via_a_ferry_at_Marsh_Harbo-a-4_1568029178380

+7

People wait to be evacuated to Nassau via a ferry at Marsh Harbor Port, in Abaco Island, Bahamas, Saturday, Sept. 7, 2019

[size=10][size=18]Thousands line up for a cruise ship to leave the Bahamas

L
[/size][/size]

It caused mass destruction, turning houses into matchsticks and damaging airports and a public hospital. 
Up to 70,000 people in the Bahamas are in need of 'life-saving assistance' while Great Abaco is said to be virtually uninhabitable, with bodies piled up and witnesses saying there is a 'smell of death' with corpses floating in the water.  
The nephew of actor Sidney Poitier said that more than 23 members of his family are feared missing in the aftermath of hurricane Dorian. 
Jeffrey Poitier, 66, said that as of Thursday there was still no news from the relatives, including his sister Barbara and his adult children in Freeport, Bahamas. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18156370-7440037-The_image_above_shows_the_devastation_left_after_the_storm_passe-a-2_1567927842123

+7

The image above shows the devastation left after the storm passed Abaco Island. The death toll from devastating Hurricane Dorian will be 'staggering' with thousands still missing, officials have warned amid reports looters are 'trying to shoot people' in the scramble for food and water

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 10 Sep 2019, 00:36

Just when you think this disgusting excuse for a human being can’t go any lower he does!
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 10 Sep 2019, 01:06

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7445449/Wilbur-Ross-threatened-FIRE-NOAA-staff-forecasters-contradicted-Donald-Trump.html

[size=34]Wilbur Ross threatened to FIRE National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration staff because its forecasters contradicted Donald Trump by saying Hurricane Dorian was not about to 'hit' Alabama[/size]

• Ross dialed the acting head of NOAA from Greece, the New York Times reported

• He instructed the NOAA head 'to fix the agency's perceived contradiction of the president'

• National Weather Service director Louis Uccellini said forecasters did the right thing when they said Hurricane Dorian would not hit the state 

• Service's Birmingham office tweeted after president claimed on twitter that Alabama was under threat

• Uccellini said they reacted to 'protect the public' and acted to shut down 'rumors' before they discovered that Trump was the source

• Trump started raging a week ago at being fact checked for the claim, which he has repeatedly claimed was correct

• He has highlighted forecasts which said Alabama had a small chance of being hit by less than hurricane force winds as Dorian passed Florida 

By GEOFF EARLE, DEPUTY U.S. POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and ASSOCIATED PRESS
PUBLISHED: 18:05 EDT, 9 September 2019 | UPDATED: 18:25 EDT, 9 September 2019

A federal weather service walk-back of a statement that contradicted President Trump's statements about the hurricane risk to Alabama came after Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross threatened to fire top NOAA officials.
Ross, a Trump loyalist and former banker, delivered the telephone threat by phone from Greece, where he was traveling on government business.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is under the purview of the Commerce Department. The agency issued an unusual walk-back Friday afternoon following the President's continual on-line defense of his claim that Alabama was at risk of being hit 'harder than anticipated' by Hurricane Dorian. 
That statement, which was released days after president's initial Sept. 1 tweet on the subject, appears to have come following the private pressure by Ross. 

The turnaround infuriated some scientists inside and outside the organization, and some went public with their concern.  
On Friday morning, hours before NOAA put out the statement, Ross phoned acting NOAA administrator Neil Jacobs, the New York Times reported. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18271822-7445449-image-a-1_1568065915611

+23

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross threatened to fire political appointees heading NOAA before the agency issued an unsigned Friday statement walking back a weather announcement from its Birmingham office that contradicted what President Trump had said
Ross, who has known Trump for years and worked with him on bankruptcies of his Atlantic City casinos, instructed Dr. Jacobs 'to fix the agency's perceived contradiction of the president,' according to the Times. 
After he objected, Ross informed Ross that NOAA's political staff (a group that includes him) would be fired if they didn't resolve the situation, which from the look of his Twitter feed was consuming President Trump. 
Jacobs is the Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Environmental Observation and Prediction, and is running the organization with a $5.5 billion annual budget on an acting basis.  
Other senior scientists inside NOAA have bristled at the presumed pressure, and defended the Birmingham office's tweet contradicting the president as clearing up inaccurate information as people made real-life decisions about an approaching hurricane.
Chief NOAA scientist Craig McLean wrote staffers saying the agency was examining potential violations 'in the agency's decision to ultimately back Mr. Trump's statements rather than those of its own scientists. He called the move 'a danger to public health and safety.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18272434-7445449-image-a-14_1568067510913

+23

Ross called acting NOAA administrator Neil Jacobs from Greece to issue the threat, according to the New York Times
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18127596-7444155-image-a-2_1568054812247

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18076304-7444155-image-a-5_1568044190860

How dispute started: The National Weather Service director said Monday that its Birmingham office acted to shut down rumors before discovering that the president had started them
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18173530-7435885-image-a-65_1567810845262

+23

A new statement from NOAA retracted a tweet from the Birmingham NWS office
McLean said his agency likely violated its scientific integrity rules last week when it publicly chastised a weather office that contradicted President Donald Trump's claim about Alabama. 
Two top NOAA civil servants not so quietly revolted against an unsigned agency press release issued late Friday rebuking the Birmingham weather office for saying Alabama was safe. 
The agency's top scientist called Friday's release 'political' and the head of the National Weather Service said the Alabama office 'did what any office would do to protect the public.'
'My understanding is that this intervention to contradict the forecaster was not based on science but on external factors including reputation and appearance, or simply put, political,' acting chief scientist and assistant administrator for ocean and atmospheric research Craig McLean wrote to staffers Sunday night.
As it turns out, Jacobs is scheduled to address a scientific conference in Huntsville Alabama on Tuesday. 
In the email, first reported by The Washington Post, McLean said he is 'pursuing the potential violations' of the agency's science integrity policy.
NOAA spokesman Scott Smullen said Monday, 'NOAA's policies on scientific integrity and communications are among the strongest in the federal government, and get high marks from third party observers. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18260012-7444155-image-a-16_1568045503145

+23

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18260202-7444155-image-a-17_1568045503317

+23

Opposite sides: National Weather Service director Louis Uccellini said forecasters in Birmingham did the right thing and that was only later that they found out the source of the mistaken information, he said - and that it was Donald Trump 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18272422-7445449-image-a-15_1568067555695

+23

The clash over public statements about Alabama prompted an outcry from NOAA scientists. The logo of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is seen at the Nation Hurricane Center on August 29, 2019 in Miami, Florida
'The agency's senior career leaders are free to express their opinions about matters of agency operations and science. The agency will not be providing further official comment, and will not speculate on internal reviews.'
Meanwhile, another career civil servant, National Weather Service Director Louis Uccellini said forecasters in Birmingham did the right thing Sept. 1 when they tried to combat public panic and rumors that Dorian posed a threat to Alabama. 
'They did that with one thing in mind: public safety,' said Uccellini, who prompted a standing ovation at a meeting of the National Weather Association by asking members of the Birmingham weather staff to stand.
'Only later, when the retweets and politically based comments started coming to their office, did they learn the sources of this information,' he said.
Kevin Laws, science and operations officer for the weather service in Birmingham, declined comment on Uccellini's remarks.
'I think the speech speaks for itself,' Laws said.
McLean in his letter said the Birmingham staff 'corrected any public misunderstanding in an expert and timely way as they should. There followed, last Friday, an unsigned press release from 'NOAA' that inappropriately and incorrectly contradicted the NWS forecaster.'
McLean said that the NOAA Scientific Integrity Policy tells all agency employees to 'approach all scientific activities with honesty, objectively, and completely, without allegiance to individuals, organizations, or ideology.'

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18207394-7439793-image-a-35_1567913482325
On Friday, the NOAA (the umbrella agency for the NWS) supported Trump's controversial statements, publicly
He said the Friday NOAA press release 'compromises the ability of NOAA to convey life-saving information' and 'violated NOAA's policies of scientific integrity.'
The policy said employees should not 'intimidate or coerce employees, contractors, recipients of financial assistance awards, or others to alter or censor scientific findings.'
The scientific integrity policy is not criminal and has no punishments, said former NOAA general counsel and deputy administrator Monica Medina, who served in the Barack Obama and Bill Clinton administrations. 
She praised McLean and Uccellini 'for looking into the matter and holding their current leadership accountable.'
At the National Weather Association's annual meeting, members including its president, signed two posters supporting the hurricane center and Birmingham office.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18187194-7438183-image-a-13_1567858430920

Dan Sobien, the president of the National Weather Service Employees Organization which takes in 4,000 workers, issued these scathing tweets on Friday night 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18187200-7444155-image-a-3_1568057503452

'We make forecasts, we don't deal with politics,' said association president Paul Schlatter, who works for the weather service in Boulder, Colorado. 
'Our job is to protect the American public with the weather information we pass around. Of course, it's frustrating when things get politicized and we are the scientists and the communicators that are delivering the message for weather safety.'
Trump has defended his Sept. 1 tweet that said Hurricane Dorian would threaten Alabama. 
Last week Trump displayed an altered hurricane forecast map in the Oval Office that included a crudely drawn addition in black ink to include parts of Alabama, in an attempt to make his point.
Alabama had never been included in hurricane forecast advisories. Trump cited older and less authoritative information, which was based on outdated computer models and older graphics on wind speed.   

[size=34]DENIAL FORCE FIVE: HOW TRUMP'S CLAIM DORIAN WOULD HIT ALABAMA JUST KEPT GOING[/size]

Saturday August  24
5pm EST: Tropical storm Dorian is first named by the The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Monday August 2
5pm: Puerto Rico is put on tropical storm watch, activating FEMA 
Wednesday August 28
8.15am: Trump first tweets about Dorian
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 17793028-0-image-a-1_1567719625601

+23

11am: Dorian is officially upgraded to a hurricane, 15 minutes after Trump tweets that Puerto Rico has 'crooked pols' and 'I'm the best thing to happen to Puerto Rico.' In Florida governor Ron DeSantis declares a state of emergency.
Thursday August 29
5am: NOAA forecast shows 10 to 20% chance of Dorian hitting Alabama by Monday.
6.58am: Trump tweets: 'Puerto Rico is in great shape with Hurricane Dorian taking a largely different route than anticipated. Thank you to FEMA, first responders, and all, for working so hard & being so well prepared. A great result! The bad news, Florida get ready! Storm is building and will be BIG!'
4pm: Trump abruptly cancels planned trip to Poland, sending Mike Pence, and saying: 'It's something very important for me to be here.' 
Friday August 30 
2pm: NOAA forecast predicts a 20 to 30% chance of a sliver of Georgia getting tropical-storm-force winds by the following Wednesday, with diminishing chances for the rest of the state; the north-western third will be unaffected. Being hit by tropical storm force winds is not the same as being hit by a hurricane; the NOAA 'cone' does not enter Alabama.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18165586-7433521-image-a-15_1567794186840

+23

4.18pm: Alabama National Guard tweets: '#HurricaneDorian is projected to reach southern Alabama by the early part of the week. We are watching closely and #ready to act. Are you?' Trump leaves later for Camp David.
Saturday August 31
10.07am: Marine One lands at Trump National in Sterling, Virginia and president golfs.
11.09am:  Trump tweets the latest NOAA advisory; it downgrades chance of tropical-storm-force winds hitting a tiny sliver of Alabama to 5%; rest of state will be unaffected, it predicts
1.18pm: Trump's press secretary tells DailyMail.com's David Martosko 'he's being briefed every hour,' and has someone from FEMA with him 
7.54pm: The White House say says Trump was briefed on 'the projected track of Hurricane Dorian as it approaches Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.'
Sunday September 1
5.13am: Trump retweets NOAA's  2am advisory showing a 5% chance of Dorian hitting an even smaller part of Alabama
10.51am: He makes his first claim it will hit Alabama
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18127596-0-image-a-2_1567722844686

+23

11.11am: The National Weather Service's Birmingham office immediately corrects him
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18076304-0-The_denial_This_was_the_NOAA_s_response_10_minutes_after_the_Tru-a-3_1567722911182

+23

12.27pm: Trump arrives for FEMA briefing on Dorian. After opening, he says that Dorian 'may get a little piece of a great place: It's called Alabama and Alabama could even be in for at least some very strong winds and something more than that, it could be. This just came up, unfortunately.'So for Alabama just be careful.'
Then Ken Graham, the director of the National Hurricane Center delivers a forecast by video link. When it is over, Trump asks: 'What you think the chances it goes directly straight as the original predictions were?' 
Graham says Dorian appeared to be headed north instead of across the Gulf. Trump replies: ' How certain are you it will go north?'
'Every computer model we have is pushing this north,' Graham responds.
Monday September 2 (Labor Day)
8.22am: Trump retweets NOAA's 5am advisory, showing again a 5% chance of tropical-storm-force winds in a tiny sliver of southeastern Alabama
10.07am: Trump arrives at Trump National in Virginia, golfs, and returns at 2.55pm
10.35am: Alabama National Guard tweets: 'Over the weekend, projections for #HurricaneDorian have continually skewed further north and east, leaving Alabama outside the anticipated path.'
7.16pm: Trump furiously tweets from the White House about ABC News reporting that the National Weather Service's Birmingham office had corrected him, saying 'he also misstated the storm's trajectory.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18127872-0-image-a-7_1567723387878

+23

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18127876-0-image-m-8_1567723392194

+23

Tuesday September 3
Trump makes no public appearances 
Wednesday September 4
12.20pm: White House reporters are taken into the Oval Office where Trump is being briefed on Dorian by - among others - Homeland Security Adviser, Coast Guard Rear Admiral Peter Brown, and Acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan. Trump brandishes an NOAA map from Saturday - with Alabama included in it in sharpie. He makes McAleenan hold it up.
 A black sharpie embossed with his signature in gold is on the Resolute Desk at the time.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18159432-7433521-image-a-8_1567784548965

+23

[size=14]Map: Donald Trump brandished an altered map of Hurricane Dorian's forecast path from Saturday in the Wednesday Oval Office briefing then made acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan hold it up. 
[/size]
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18078220-7433521-This_is_how_the_map_Trump_showed_in_the_Oval_Office_was_marked_a-m-14_1567784861107

+23

[size=14]This is how the map Trump showed in the Oval Office was marked, apparently in sharpie
[/size]
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18159430-7433521-image-m-11_1567784579946
[size=14]Sharpie: On Resolute Desk during briefing
[/size]
3.45pm: Trump takes questions after an announcement about opioids. He is asked why the map was changed. 'No, I just know that Alabama was in the original forecast'Actually we have a better map than that that's going to be presented....In all cases, Alabama was going to be hit.' 
He is asked why the map was altered by sharpie. 'I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. Anything else?' he replies. The White House declines to say who used the sharpie.
6.23pm: Trump tweets a new map, from the South Florida Water Management District on Wednesday August 28. Its spaghetti marks show some forecasts offering some possibility - the chance is not given - that the hurricane could go into Alabama, as well as Mississippi, Louisiana and Tennessee
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18081624-7433409-image-m-11_1567724412080

+23

Thursday September 5
7.48am   
Trump launches the day with a new denial that he was wrong. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18128692-7433409-image-a-12_1567724754355

+23

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18128694-7433409-image-a-13_1567724756730

+23

9.39am: After morning TV shows cover the row extensively, Trump tweets again 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18128726-7433409-image-a-14_1567724788583

+23

4.15pm: Yet more tweets - this time with some of the apparent evidence Trump had claimed existed. The maps however do not show NOAA's cone, which is the official prediction of where the hurricane will strike. They also show that the forecast chance of it hitting any part of Alabama was at most no more than 30%. But uses the August 30 tweet from the Alabama National Guard 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18128776-7433409-image-a-16_1567724854300

+23

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18128768-7433409-image-a-15_1567724844943

+23

5.13pm: White House issues a lengthy statement from Trump's Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Advisor, Coast Guard Rear Admiral Peter Brown, saying he gave Trump the forecast on Sunday that Alabama could be hit. He has no meteorological qualifications but did study chemistry at college.
It does not say who altered the map and Rear Adm. Brown is not made available for interviews.
The statement says: 'As the Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Advisor, I briefed President Donald J. Trump multiple times concerning the position, forecast,risks, and Federal Government preparations for and response to Hurricane Dorian.
'I showed the President the official National Hurricane Center forecast, which included the "cone" that projects the potential path of the eye of the storm. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18127436-7433521-Brown_s_letter_stated_that_he_briefed_Trump_September_1_when_the-a-2_1567780796552
 Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Advisor, Coast Guard Rear Admiral Peter Brown

'The President and I also reviewed other products, including multiple meteorological models (often called the "spaghetti models") and graphics that displayed the time of onset and geographical range of tropical storm force winds, storm surge, and rainfall. These products showed possible storm impacts well outside the official forecast cone. 
'While speaking to the press on Sunday, September 1, the President addressed Hurricane Dorian and its potential impact on multiple states, including Alabama.
'The president's comments were based on that morning's Hurricane Dorian briefing, which included the possibility of tropical storm force winds in southeastern Alabama.
'In fact, from the evening of Tuesday, August 27, until the morning of Monday, September 2, forecasts from the National Hurricane Center showed the possibility of tropical storm force winds hitting parts of Alabama.
'Additionally, the forecast track changed substantially overt time, such that localities originally concerned about significant impacts, such as Puerto Rico, South Florida, and the Gulf Coast, saw minimal to no impact from Hurricane Dorian.' 
Friday August 6
8.35am: Dorian makes landfall in the U.S. at Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
10.29am: Trump tweets that the 'Fake News Media was fixated' on his Alabama claim. It is his sixth tweet or threat of tweets about the topic.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18158790-7433521-image-a-3_1567783536933

+23

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18158794-7433521-image-a-4_1567783539643

+23

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18158800-7433521-image-a-5_1567783542474

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Tue 10 Sep 2019, 06:35

I'm right! I'm always right! And when the facts don't agree with my truth, thsy're fake and need to be changed!"

It's like your toddler telling you that it will be freezing cold although it's already stiffing hot in the early morning. It's not you having to sweat in your much too warm clothes...

That's Trump's behaviour. But he plays with people's fears. People who don't know whom to trust: the experts or their president. I know whom I would trust, but it's not me deciding whether to prepare for a hurricane or not...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 10 Sep 2019, 10:01

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7445835/Artist-David-Hockney-leaves-Los-Angeles-55-years-live-rest-days-France.html

[size=34]Artist David Hockney leaves Los Angeles after 55 years to live out the rest of his days in France because he can 'smoke in restaurants' and the French 'know how to live'[/size]

• British artist David Hockney has moved from Los Angeles to Normandy, France, to live out the rest of his days

• 'I'd like to just work and paint,' he says. 'And to be able to smoke and eat in a restaurant at the same time. Thank God for Normandy'

• Last year he bought a home in Normandy on a whim after seeing the house for 25 minutes 

• He has lived in Los Angeles, the city that made him famous, on and off since 1964

• The 82-year-old created his latest work inspired by the view from his Normandy house to be showcased this fall in Manhattan at Pace Gallery 

PUBLISHED: 22:27 EDT, 9 September 2019 | UPDATED: 02:01 EDT, 10 September 2019

• [email=?subject=Read%20this:%20Artist%20David%20Hockney%20leaves%20Los%20Angeles%20after%2055%20years%20to%20live%20out%20the%20rest%20of%20his%20days%20in%20France%20because%20he%20can%20%27smoke%20in%20restaurants%27%20and%20the%20French%20%27know%20how%20to%20live%27&body=Artist%20David%20Hockney%20leaves%20Los%20Angeles%20after%2055%20years%20to%20live%20out%20the%20rest%20of%20his%20days%20in%20France%20because%20he%20can%20%27smoke%20in%20restaurants%27%20and%20the%20French%20%27know%20how%20to%20live%27%0A%0ABritish%20artist%20David%20Hockney%C2%A0has%20moved%20from%20Los%20Angeles%20to%20Normandy%2C%20France%2C%20to%20live%20out%20the%20rest%20of%20his%20days.%20The%2082-year-old%20created%20his%20latest%20work%20inspired%20by%20the%20view%20from%20his%20Normandy%20house.%0A%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-7445835%2FArtist-David-Hockney-leaves-Los-Angeles-55-years-live-rest-days-France.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top%0A%0A%0AMost%20Read%20Articles%3A%0A%0AMexican%20gang%20CASTRATE%20an%20alleged%20rapist%20by%20letting%20a%20pit%20bull%20maul%20his%20genitals%C2%A0%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-7443201%2FMexican-gang-castrate-rapist-setting-pitbull-him.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0ASarah%20Palin%27s%20husband%20Todd%20files%20for%20divorce%20from%20former%20Alaska%20governor%20after%2031%20years%20of%20marriage%20and%20five%20children%20together%20because%20they%20find%20it%20%27impossible%20to%20live%20together%20any%20longer%27%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-7445167%2FTodd-Palin-files-divorce-former-Alaska-governor-Sarah-Palin-31-years-marriage.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0ACBBC%20star%20Mya-Lecia%20Naylor%2C%2016%2C%20hanged%20herself%20in%20a%20marquee%20at%20her%20family%20home%20%27on%20the%20spur%20of%20the%20moment%27%20after%20struggling%20with%20exam%20stress%20and%20being%20grounded%20by%20her%20parents%2C%20inquest%20hears%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-7443387%2FCBBC-child-star-Mya-Lecia-Naylor-died-misadventure-hanging.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0A]e-mail[/email]

Famed British artist David Hockney is giving up Los Angeles after 55 years for Normandy, France, to live out the rest of his days. 
'I can do twice as much work there, three times as much,' Hockney tells the Wall Street Journal of leaving the city that made him famous in the 1960s. 'I've probably not much time left and because I don't, I value it even more.'
It's there in his new home, which he bought on a whim last year after seeing it for just 25 minutes, that the 82-year-old created his latest work inspired by the view from his Normandy house to be showcased this fall in Manhattan.  
'I'd like to just work and paint,' he says. 'And to be able to smoke and eat in a restaurant at the same time. Thank God for Normandy. The French know how to live. They know about pleasure.'  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18276520-7445835-image-a-23_1568081529811

+4

British artist David Hockney has moved from Los Angeles after 55 yearsto Normandy, France, to live out the rest of his days
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18280938-7445835-image-a-24_1568081617943

+4

'I've smoked for more than 60 years,' he tells the Wall Street Journal, and says he's moving to France to 'be able to smoke and eat in a restaurant at the same time'
Last year Hockney's 1972 painting soared to $90.3million at Christie's, smashing the record for the highest price ever paid at auction for a work by a living artist.

The previous record for a work by a living artist was held by Jeff Koons' sculpture Balloon Dog, which sold for $58.4million in 2013. Hockney's previous auction record was $28.4million.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18280952-7445835-image-m-27_1568082206030
'I'm 82. How much longer do I have? I'm going to die of either a smoking-related illness or a non–smoking-related illness,' he says
Now Hockney will be showing new work at Pace Gallery's Manhattan flagship this fall. 
His immersive 24-panel panorama and four additional drawings will depict the arrival of spring in Normandy as seen from his new home, called La Grande Cour (The Big Yard). 
'I fell in love with it', he says of the home.  
It took Hockney 21 days to complete and will show his new property in detail - depicting the 1650s structure's cherry, pear and apple tree grounds. 
'These works emphasize Hockney's ability to unite multiple spatial and temporal experiences of a place into a single image,' the Pace Gallery website reads. 
The work is inspired by traditional Chinese scroll painting, contemporary time-based art, and the medieval Bayeux Tapestry. 
These new works showcase Hockney's continued experimentation with the representation of space.
'The dots took a long time to do,' Hockney told the Wall Street Journal. 'It was getting a little tedious at the end, but I was engrossed and I loved it.'
Hockney described his relaxing routine in Normandy: waking up early to watch then sun rise, then in the studio working all morning. 
At midday, he says he breaks for a four-course lunch - his only meal of the day- at a nearby cafe that costs just 13 euro.
He says he sometimes takes a nap and then will work into the evenings.  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18281586-7445835-image-a-37_1568083340222

+4

The 82-year-old created his latest work inspired by the view from his Normandy house to be showcased this fall in Manhattan at Pace Gallery (pictured)
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 6104186-6382085-With_a_62_million_estimate_the_painting_above_which_belongs_to_b-m-29_1542062342678

+4

The Portrait of an Artist (Pool with Two Figures) painting, which belongs to billionaire Spurs owner Joe Lewis, broke all records for a living artist after selling for $90.3 million last year 
[size=10][size=18]David Hockney's iconic painting sells for $90.3 million

L
[/size][/size]

'His respect for art history is enormous,' Stephanie Barron tells the Wall Street Journal. She is senior curator of modern art at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art and organized the museum's 2018 exhibition David Hockney: 82 Portraits and 1 Still-life.
'This is an artist who reads and looks with deep intensity and intellectualism and curiosity. He studies the work of the masters: Manet, Monet, Rembrandt [and] Picasso, who he's been in dialogue with for life. He has engaged art historians in serious discussions about perspective and technique.' 
Hockney says he doesn't care for fame. 'I have the vanity of an artist. I want my work to be seen. But I don't have to be seen.' 
He says he wants to keep a third to a half of his works for himself. The Normandy drawings will remain in his personal collection.
'Sometimes I decide to keep what I consider to be the best ones,' he says. 'I'm not sure what to do with [the collection] yet. I'll probably give it away to museums.' 
And as for leaving the city that made him famous years ago, he says Americans have become too censorious about smoking and that is something he will never give up. 
'I've smoked for more than 60 years,' he says. 'But I think I'm quite healthy. I'm 82. How much longer do I have? I'm going to die of either a smoking-related illness or a non–smoking-related illness.'

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 10 Sep 2019, 17:33

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7448735/Donald-Trump-FIRES-National-Security-Advisor-John-Bolton.html

[size=34]BREAKING NEWS: Donald Trump FIRES his National Security Advisor John Bolton saying they 'disagreed strongly' - but aide says he TRIED to resign last night and was brushed off by the president[/size]

• Trump fired Bolton by tweet two minutes before midday Tuesday in a dramatic and unexpected move

• He said he 'disagreed strongly' with Bolton 'as did others in the administration' hinting at internal fallouts between Bolton and Mike Pompeo

• But within minutes Bolton himself tweeted, apparently from inside the White House, that he had tried to resign last night and been blown off

• The two had clashed on Iran and North Korea and most recently on peace talks with the Taliban, with Bolton opposing attempts for an Afghan peace deal

• Bolton, 70, had been in Trump's national security aide since April 2018 after the president dispensed with three-star Army general H.R. McMaster

By DAVID MARTOSKO, U.S. POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 12:07 EDT, 10 September 2019 | UPDATED: 12:29 EDT, 10 September 2019

Donald Trump announced Tuesday that he has fired his national security adviser, John Bolton saying he 'disagreed strongly' with him - and was immediately contradicted by Bolton, who said he had tried to quit first.
'I informed John Bolton last night that his services are no longer needed at the White House,' the president said in a tweet two minutes before midday, and an hour before Bolton was supposed to give a briefing to reporters at the White House.
'I disagreed strongly with many of his suggestions, as did others in the Administration, and therefore I asked John for his resignation, which was given to me this morning.'
Trump said he would name a new national security adviser next week.

But in a rival tweet sent a few minutes later from inside the White House, Bolton said that he had tried to resign last night and been blown off by the president.
Bolton tweeted: 'I offered to resign last night and President Trump said, 'Let's talk about it tomorrow."'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18308818-7448735-image-m-24_1568132575926

+2

I tried to resign! Donald Trump and John Bolton became locked in a twitter war of words over the national security advisor's departure, with Bolton saying he tried to quit and Trump saying he told him to resign
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18309024-7448735-image-a-20_1568131822415

+2

Out: 'I informed John Bolton last night that his services are no longer needed at the White House,' the president said in a tweet. The aide was last seen in Poland last week
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18308936-7448735-image-a-4_1568131574310

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18309070-7448735-image-a-19_1568131659690

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18309336-7448735-image-a-22_1568132296049

Battle of the tweets: John Bolton tweeted that he tried to quit before he was fired - and did so from inside the White House
Bolton was seen as a war hawk who favored military intervention around the globe – a view that was at odds with Trump's insistence that America's troops should stop being 'the world's policemen.'
He clashed repeatedly with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo over foreign policy and was recently sidelined during internal White House discussions about how to handle conflicts with the Taliban in Afghanistan. 
Bolton opposed Trump's proposal for a peace plan with the Taliban.
When the president wanted to hold a Camp David peace summit, which he called off after a Taliban suicide bombing attack in Kabul killed 12 people, Bolton was one of its leading opponents.

Tensions between Bolton and Pompeo ramped up in recent weeks. The two men – top foreign policy advisers to the president - rarely spoke outside of formal meetings, CNN reported.
Bolton was also said to clash with acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney. 
Bolton and Pompeo had been scheduled to brief the press Tuesday afternoon about an unrelated subject. 
Bolton, 70, had been appointed from outside government in April 2018 when Trump dispensed with his second National Security Advisor, three-star Army general H.R. McMaster.
He had been a prominent Fox News contributor with hawkish views in particular on the Iran nuclear deal. 
But in recent months there had been whispers that Trump was losing patience with Bolton.
When Trump went to South Korea at the end of June and crossed into the DMZ to meet Kim Jong-Un, the first sitting president to meet a North Korean leader in the separation zone between the two countries, Bolton was in Mongolia rather than being with the president. 

[size=34]TRUMP'S HIGH-PROFILE DEPARTURE LOUNGE[/size]

Here are just some of the top officials who have left Trump's administration and when their departures were announced
Inauguration Day was January 20
January 31: Acting Attorney General Sally Yates 
February 13: National Security Adviser Michael Flynn
March 30: Deputy Chief of Staff Katie Walsh 
April 9: Deputy National Security Adviser K.T. McFarland
May 9: FBI Director James Comey 
May 30: Communications Director Michael Dubke 
July 21: Press Secretary Sean Spicer 
July 28: Chief of Staff Reince Priebus 
July 31: Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci 
August 18: Chief Strategist Steve Bannon
August 25: National security aide Sebastian Gorka 
September 1: Director of Oval Office Operations Keith Schiller
September 29: Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price 
December 8: Deputy National Security adviser Dina Powell 
December 13: Communications director for the White House Office of Public Liaison Omarosa Manigault Newman
February 7: Staff Secretary Rob Porter 
February 28: Communications Director Hope Hicks 
March 6: Director of the National Economic Council Gary Cohn 
March 12: Special assistant and personal aide to the president John McEntee
March 13: Secretary of State Rex Tillerson 
March 22: National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster 
March 28: Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin 
April 10: Homeland Security Adviser Tom Bossert 
April 11: Deputy National Security Adviser Nadia Schadlow 
April 12: Deputy National Security adviser Ricky Waddell 
May 2:  White House attorney Ty Cobb
June 5: Communications aide Kelly Sadler 
 July 5: Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt
August 29: White House Counsel Don McGahn  
October 9: U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley
November 7: Attorney General Jeff Sessions 
December 9: Chief of Staff John Kelly
December 15: Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke
December 20: Defense Secretary Jim Mattis
March 8: Communications Director Bill Shine 
April 8: Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen
June 13: White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders 
June 18: Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan
June 25: Acting Customs and Border Patrol Commissioner John Sanders 
July 12: Labor Secretary Alex Acosta 
July 28: Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats 
August 6: Ambassador to Russia, Jon Huntsman 
August 8: Deputy Director of National Intelligence, Sue Gordon
August 29: President's personal assistant, Madeleine Westerhout
September 5: Lead Middle East peace negotiator, Jason Greenblatt
September 10: National Security Advisor, John Bolton   

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 11 Sep 2019, 00:19

carolhathaway wrote: I'm right! I'm always right! And when the facts don't agree with my truth, thsy're fake and need to be changed!"

It's like your toddler telling you that it will be freezing cold although it's already stiffing hot in the early morning. It's not you having to sweat in your much too warm clothes...

That's Trump's behaviour. But he plays with people's fears. People who don't know whom to trust: the experts or their president. I know whom I would trust, but it's not me deciding whether to prepare for a hurricane or not...

You’re right Carol! I wonder if most Europeans see through Trump like you and PAN do.
Trump is an odd one for sure. He is psychologically dysfunctional in so many ways. It’s an understatement to say that his father wasn’t a good role model but how the hell did he end up so twisted?
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 11 Sep 2019, 06:24

Donna,
maybe he was never taught to think about and respect others and their needs as well - but that's something people are able to learn. As much as there are people who were brought up learning to respect others and show empathy, have the best role models etc and are as selfish and reckless as one can't even imagine.

I think it's a combination: growing up not being set limits on how to treat others and a completely insensible character plus atotal lack of empathy.

The worst issue IMHO is when others see Trump and his behaviour as a role model on how to act themselves or as an excuse for their own behaviour...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 11 Sep 2019, 12:15

Sadly, empathy is not something your born with it is something you are taught and apparently in our society there are
a lot of people who weren't taught this.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 11 Sep 2019, 12:17

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7448735/Donald-Trump-FIRES-National-Security-Advisor-John-Bolton.html

[size=34]Ousted National Security advisor John Bolton calls Donald Trump a LIAR for claiming he was fired and insists he resigned, amid claims the pair clashed over president’s plan to host the Taliban at Camp David[/size]

• Trump fired Bolton by tweet just before noon Tuesday in a dramatic and unexpected move

• He said he 'disagreed strongly' with Bolton 'as did others in the administration' 

• Bolton tweeted minutes later, apparently from somewhere on the White House computer network, that Trump blew him off when he tried to resign 

• Other names in the mix: Mick Mulvaney adviser Robert Blair, hostage affairs envoy Robert O'Brien and senior Pompeo adviser Brian Hook

• President had clashed with Bolton about Afghanistan, Iran, North Korea, Russia, and Venezuela, and most recently on peace talks with the Taliban

• Bolton, 70, had been Trump's top national security aide since April 2018 after the president dispensed with three-star Army general H.R. McMaster

• He texted 'I resigned' to a Fox News Channel host, who read it aloud on the air

• Shakeup comes just two weeks before the United National General Assembly, where Trump will speak

• One leading candidate to replace Bolton is Ric Grenell, the U.S. ambassador to Germany 

By DAVID MARTOSKO, U.S. POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 12:07 EDT, 10 September 2019 | UPDATED: 18:02 EDT, 10 September 2019

Donald Trump said Tuesday he had ordered his national security advisor, John Bolton, to resign. But the ousted aide quickly insisted he quit first, then called the president's version of events untrue.
The drama unfolded after months of deteriorating relations between Trump and his hawkish senior aide.
Trump tweeted just before noon that he had asked Bolton for his resignation and thanked him for 'his services,' but Bolton quickly shoved back, texting a Fox News Channel host live on air that 'I resigned,' then later texting NBC News that the president had never asked him to quit.
'I offered to resign last night,' Bolton told NBC in the text message. 'He never asked for it, directly or indirectly. I slept on it, and resigned this morning.'

Bolton was photographed outside the West Wing on Tuesday morning just before 9:00, standing on the spot where a U.S. Marine is stationed whenever the president is at work – suggesting that Trump was still in the White House residence and didn't meet with him.
After Trump announced Bolton's departure, federal agents were seen at his Washington, D.C. home, removing government property including computer equipment and a shredder. 
His abrupt departure and its ugly public aftermath was reportedly set off by the two disagreeing over Trump's plan to host Taliban representatives at Camp David for peace talks last weekend, days before the 18th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks.
Trump publicly announced the cancellation of the previously unreported peace talk plan on Saturday evening; Bolton's had strongly opposed dealing with the Taliban face-to-face.
The two had already fallen out over Iran, North Korea, Russia and Venezuela; Bolton previously refused to go on television to defend Trump's Afghanistan and Russia policies during last month's G7 summit in France.
[size=10][size=18]President Trump fires John Bolton as National Security Advisor

Load
[/size][/size]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18318592-7448735-image-m-2_1568149440872

+9

Over and out: How John Bolton resigns to Donald Trump in a letter which he said was his own initiative but which the president tweeted that he had demanded
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18319852-0-image-a-3_1568150527295

+9

Donald Trump and John Bolton became locked in a Twitter war of words over the national security adviser's departure, with Bolton saying he tried to quit and Trump saying he told him to resign; Bolton is pictured Tuesday morning outside the West Wing of the White House at 8:45 a.m.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18319862-7448735-image-a-4_1568150697725

+9

Federal agents were seen Tuesday at Bolton's home in Washington, D.C., removing equipment and other government property a few hours after he was fired; the gear included a shredder, a multifunction printer and other computer equipment
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18319878-7448735-image-a-5_1568150831441

+9

This woman was seen carrying a black satchel down Bolton's driveway as agents removed other government property from his home
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18310402-7448735-image-m-28_1568134045290

+9

'I informed John Bolton last night that his services are no longer needed at the White House,' the president said in a tweet. He had been Trump's top national security aide since April 2018, when they were photographed together in the Cabinet Room of the White House
They spoke Monday before Trump left for a political rally in North Carolina, accoding to a White House official. Bolton claimed Tuesday that the conversation did not focus on a Taliban-related falling-out.
But he sent the White House a two sentence resignation letter Tuesday morning, and Trump tweeted his departure at 11:58 a.m., an hour and a half before Bolton was due to stand beside Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin for a rare White House press briefing about a raft of new anti-terrorism sanctions.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18316180-7448735-A_leading_candidate_to_replace_Bolton_is_Ric_Grenell_the_U_S_amb-a-8_1568151049112

+9

A leading candidate to replace Bolton is Ric Grenell, the U.S. ambassador to Germany; G.renell was an early Trump backer and is seen as 'one of the most reliably hard-charging diplomats' in the administration, according to a State Department source
The two Cabinet members smiled broadly when they were asked if they had been 'blindsided' by the sudden departure. 'I'm never surprised,' Pompeo grinned.
The president offered no public hint of who might get the job next.
Charles Kupperman, Bolton's deputy, became acting national security adviser on Tuesday. Bolton said in January that Kupperman 'has been an advisor to me for more than thirty years.' That, a White House aide said Tuesday, suggests Trump will quickly sweep him out as part of a National Security Council housecleaning.
Kupperman was already scheduled to be out of the White House in two weeks for an unspecified surgery. 
Two White House officials said Ambassador to Germany Ric Grenell quickly emerged as a leading candidate to be Trump's fourth national security adviser in less than three years. One source said the president brought his name up to members of his senior staff shortly after tweeting about Bolton's dismissal.
Grenell was an early Trump backer and is the administration's highest ranking openly gay official. A source close to Grenell said Tuesday that he knows 'how to deliver in a tough post.' A State Department official speculated that the president might choose him because 'one of the most reliably hard-charging diplomats' in the U.S. foreign service. 
A different White House official cautioned that since Grenell was Bolton's chief spokesman at the United Nations during the George W. Bush administration, he could be seen as 'fruit from the poisoned tree.'
[size=18]John Bolton spotted on phone outside the White House the morning he lost job

Loaded: 0
[/size]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18319854-7448735-image-a-9_1568151160705

+9

Bolton was barely three hours away from getting the axe as he checked his phone in front of the West Wing's north doors; he stood where a U.S. Marine is normally positioned whenever the president is in the West Wing, suggesting Trump was still in the residence and didn't meet iwth Bolton before he fired him
Robert Blair, another potential Bolton successor, is a senior adviser to acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney. Blair was in charge of national security programs for the White House Budget Office when Mulvaney was its director. 
The Wall Street Journal first reported that Blair was in the mix. He did not respond to a request for comment on Tuesday.
Bloomberg News reported that other possible replacements for Bolton 'discussed by Trump associates' include Robert O'Brien, the president's envoy for hostage affairs, and senior Pompeo adviser Brian Hook.
A White House aide said Jared Kushner, the president's son-in-law and senior adviser, has expressed a preference for Hook. 
It's unclear what Bolton's next career move will be. 
A Fox News Chanel producer on Tuesday called it 'unlikely' that the network will hire him as an on-air pundit. 
A source at the Gatestone Institute, an Israel-friendly think tank where he was chairman before coming to the White House, said Tuesday that Bolton was still expected to deliver a previously scheduled luncheon speech to its members on September 18 in New York.
[size=18]Mike Pompeo backs Trump's decision to fire John Bolton

Lo
[/size]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18316726-7448735-President_Trump_wasted_no_time_discussing_with_senior_West_Wing_-a-100_1568147309842

+9

President Trump wasted no time discussing with senior West Wing staff who might be Bolton's replacement, according to White House officials
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18313198-7448735-image-a-2_1568138993659

+9

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he and Bolton had different in significant ways on foreign policy, but refused during a White House briefing to get into specifics
Trump started the mad scramble with a pair of late morning tweets on Tuesday.
'I informed John Bolton last night that his services are no longer needed at the White House,' the president said in a tweet two minutes before midday, and an hour and a half before Bolton was scheduled to participate in a briefing to reporters at the White House. 
'I disagreed strongly with many of his suggestions, as did others in the Administration, and therefore I asked John for his resignation, which was given to me this morning,' Trump tweeted.  
Pompeo told reporters during the afternoon briefing that 'there were many times where Ambassador Bolton and I disagreed, that's to be sure.'
He added that the administration's policies were the president's, not Bolton's. 'I don't think any leader around the world should make any assumption that, because some one of us departs, that President Trump's foreign policy would change in a material way,' he said.
In his own tweet sent a few minutes after Trump's, apparently from somewhere on the White House's own computer network, Bolton said the president blew him off when he tried to resign Monday night. He tweeted: 'I offered to resign last night and President Trump said, 'Let's talk about it tomorrow'.'

He sent a text message to Fox News Channel host Brian Kilmeade, reading: 'I resigned.' Kilmeade read it on the air. 
The squabbling versions of Bolton's departure came after White House reporters were told that he,  Pompeo and Mnuchin would brief them at 1: 30 p.m. 
Bolton was seen as a war hawk who favored military intervention around the globe – a view that was at odds with Trump's insistence that America's troops should stop being 'the world's policemen.'
He clashed repeatedly with Pompeo over foreign policy and was recently sidelined during internal White House discussions about how to handle conflicts with the Taliban in Afghanistan. 
Bolton opposed Trump's proposals for a troop drawdown in Afghanistan, and was a leading detractor inside the White House of the Camp David peace summit Trump planned and later canceled. 
The president called it off after a Taliban suicide bombing attack in Kabul killed 12 people, including an American soldier. 
[size=18]White House: Fired Bolton's priorities didn't match President's

L
[/size]

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18308936-7448735-image-a-4_1568131574310

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18309070-7448735-image-a-19_1568131659690

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18309336-7448735-Battle_of_the_tweets_John_Bolton_tweeted_that_he_tried_to_quit_b-a-13_1568152950220

Battle of the tweets: John Bolton tweeted that he tried to quit before he was fired – and did so from the White House's own network 
Tensions between Bolton and Pompeo ramped up in recent weeks. The two men – the top foreign policy advisers to the president – rarely spoke outside of formal meetings, CNN has reported.
Bolton was also in periodic clashes with acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney.  
Bolton, 70, entered the administration in April 2018 after Trump dispensed with his second national security adviser, three-star Army general H.R. McMaster.
He had been a prominent Fox News contributor with aggressive views on the Obama-era Iran nuclear deal and on pressuring NATO members to increase their defense spending.
Trump sometimes joked about Bolton's image as a warmonger, reportedly saying in one Oval Office meeting that 'John has never seen a war he doesn't like.' 
But in recent months there had been whispers that Trump was losing patience with him.
When Trump went to South Korea at the end of June and crossed into the DMZ to meet Kim Jong-un, the first sitting president to meet a North Korean leader in the separation zone between the two countries, Bolton was in Mongolia.

[size=34]TRUMP'S HIGH-PROFILE DEPARTURE LOUNGE[/size]

Here are just some of the top officials who have left Trump's administration and when their departures were announced
Inauguration Day was January 20
January 31: Acting Attorney General Sally Yates 
February 13: National Security Adviser Michael Flynn
March 30: Deputy Chief of Staff Katie Walsh 
April 9: Deputy National Security Adviser K.T. McFarland
May 9: FBI Director James Comey 
May 30: Communications Director Michael Dubke 
July 21: Press Secretary Sean Spicer 
July 28: Chief of Staff Reince Priebus 
July 31: Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci 
August 18: Chief Strategist Steve Bannon
August 25: National security aide Sebastian Gorka 
September 1: Director of Oval Office Operations Keith Schiller
September 29: Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price 
December 8: Deputy National Security adviser Dina Powell 
December 13: Communications director for the White House Office of Public Liaison Omarosa Manigault Newman
February 7: Staff Secretary Rob Porter 
February 28: Communications Director Hope Hicks 
March 6: Director of the National Economic Council Gary Cohn 
March 12: Special assistant and personal aide to the president John McEntee
March 13: Secretary of State Rex Tillerson 
March 22: National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster 
March 28: Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin 
April 10: Homeland Security Adviser Tom Bossert 
April 11: Deputy National Security Adviser Nadia Schadlow 
April 12: Deputy National Security adviser Ricky Waddell 
May 2:  White House attorney Ty Cobb
June 5: Communications aide Kelly Sadler 
 July 5: Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt
August 29: White House Counsel Don McGahn  
October 9: U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley
November 7: Attorney General Jeff Sessions 
December 9: Chief of Staff John Kelly
December 15: Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke
December 20: Defense Secretary Jim Mattis
March 8: Communications Director Bill Shine 
April 8: Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen
June 13: White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders 
June 18: Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan
June 25: Acting Customs and Border Patrol Commissioner John Sanders 
July 12: Labor Secretary Alex Acosta 
July 28: Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats 
August 6: Ambassador to Russia, Jon Huntsman 
August 8: Deputy Director of National Intelligence, Sue Gordon
August 29: President's personal assistant, Madeleine Westerhout
September 5: Lead Middle East peace negotiator, Jason Greenblatt
September 10: National Security Advisor, John Bolton   

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 11 Sep 2019, 12:25

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7450157/Republican-senator-claims-banning-college-save-America.html

[size=34]Republican senator says banning college in the US will 'save America' because it is a 'liberal breeding ground' - before claiming it was all a joke amid backlash[/size]

• Republican senator Kerry Roberts is under fire after suggesting getting rid of college 'save American' because it is a 'liberal breeding ground'

• 'If there's one thing that we can do to save America today, it's to get rid of our institutions of higher education right now,' he said last week

• Roberts was speaking on his radio talk show The Kerry Roberts Show

• The Tennessee senator took to Facebook to claim it was all hyperbole and humor 

• Roberts himself is a product of hire education having graduated from Lipscomb University with a bachelor's degree in accounting in 1983 

By KAYLA BRANTLEY FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 20:38 EDT, 10 September 2019 | UPDATED: 02:32 EDT, 11 September 2019

• The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18323850-7450157-image-a-26_1568161676376

Republican senator Kerry Roberts is under fire after suggesting getting rid of college 'save American' because it is a 'liberal breeding ground'
Tennessee senator Kerry Roberts is under fire after he suggested that getting rid of college would 'save America' because it's a 'liberal breeding ground'. 
The Republican senator was discussing a legislative hearing on abortion on his conservative talk show The Kerry Roberts Show, when he referred to an African American activist who is in favor of abortion as a 'hate-filled idiot'.  
'If there's one thing that we can do to save America today, it's to get rid of our institutions of higher education right now and cut the liberal breeding ground off! Good grief!'

He did not identify the woman by name, but said: 'This is a woman who is a product of higher education. She's learned all of this stuff that flies in the face of what we stand for as a country, and here we are as legislators paying for this garbage to be taught to our children.'

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18323846-7450157-image-a-27_1568161683135

+2

'If there's one thing that we can do to save America today, it's to get rid of our institutions of higher education right now,' he said last week
Robert's outburst went viral Monday, prompting a quick reaction from the senator who deemed his remarks a joke. 
'My listeners clearly understood the humor and hyperbole of it,' he wrote on Facebook. 
He then posted the definition of 'hyperbole', which reads: 'exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
'Today's word is hyperbole. A week ago, I went on a rant on The Kerry Roberts Show calling out higher education as a liberal breeding ground and calling for it's elimination,' Roberts wrote on Facebook. 
'That was a week ago. But today, it's a news story. ''Tennessee Lawmaker Calls For Elimination of Higher Education'' the headline screams! That's hyperbole, too.
'So the word for today is hyperbole. Knowing the definition is knowledge. Knowing when it exists is understanding. It's a good word to know and an even a better word to understand...including reporters who have a degree from an institute of higher education. 
'The word for tomorrow is patience...as in giving someone time to respond to your question before filing a story. Class dismissed.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 20 18323842-7450157-image-a-28_1568161861358

+2

Roberts later took to Facebook Monday to claim it was all hyperbole and humor

Roberts himself is a product of hire education having graduated from Lipscomb University with a bachelor's degree in accounting in 1983.  
He has also co-sponsored a measure to develop a statewide plan to foster 'strategic future development of public universities, community colleges and colleges of applied technology.'
In May, the measure passed in the Senate which specified that prison inmates should be 'a focus population in order to increase the degree attainment of such individuals.' 
Roberts also questioned funding higher education with tax dollars. 
He voted in favor of the state's $38.5billion budget earlier this year, which included money for colleges and universities.

-------

http://www.clooneysopenhouse.com/viewtopic.forum?t=8744

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20