George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» The Good News
George Clooney as a 'trophy husband'? EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 18:19 by annemariew

» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
George Clooney as a 'trophy husband'? EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
George Clooney as a 'trophy husband'? EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
George Clooney as a 'trophy husband'? EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney as a 'trophy husband'? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney as a 'trophy husband'? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney as a 'trophy husband'? EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney as a 'trophy husband'? EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney as a 'trophy husband'? EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney as a 'trophy husband'?

+13
melbert
LizzyNY
Way2Old4Dis
Lakin460
Katiedot
Cece42
fridadereval
Joanna
Missa
Atalante
ispy
jd68
party animal - not!
17 posters

Go down

George Clooney as a 'trophy husband'? Empty George Clooney as a 'trophy husband'?

Post by party animal - not! Mon 25 Aug 2014, 11:39

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Great article

Gorgeous George and 
his woman 
of substance
Clooney might be top of the Hollywood A-List, but it is his formidable fiancee who is the real catch, writes Julia Molony
Julia Molony

Published 24/08/2014

Amal Alamuddin is an entirely new kind of public woman. She's sprung from the chambers of London to the pages of Vanity Fair. And, in the space of a year, has graduated from coming in at number one on a list of London's hottest barristers, to becoming globally famous.

It's not just because she's one of a handful of globally renowned human rights lawyers whose services are called on for the most complex civil liberties cases. It isn't that she has taken on one of the most high-profile clients around, and is currently defending Julian Assange against extradition to Sweden to face sexual assault charges. Or the fact that her heavy case-load at the moment meant that she had to turn down a prestigious invitation to sit on a board of investigation into war crimes in Gaza, at which she said, "I am honoured . . . but given existing commitments - including eight ongoing cases - unfortunately I could not accept this role."

Her newfound fame springs from her trophy husband. Next month, Alamuddin is set to achieve what millions of women have aspired to do but failed - she'll tie the knot with serial dater George Clooney at a ceremony at his villa in Lake Como.

Of course, since gorgeous George has for some time now been regarded as the ultimate catch, focus has rested on how Alamuddin managed to bag him. In between serving as counsel to former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan and regular appearances in court, of course. Some reports wrote patronisingly of how she is "said to have impressed him with her knowledge of Syria."

In fact, it's Clooney who is out of his league. A fact that Alamuddin is probably at least dimly aware of. She is said to have turned him down for dinner three times before agreeing to go on a date with him. Though perhaps she just had too much on her plate.

Compared to Alamuddin's resume, the truth is Clooney's achievements as an actor, director and ambassador for Nespresso look pretty slight.

Born in Beirut to family of academics, Alamuddin moved to Buckinghamshire in the UK with her parents as a refugee when she was two. She attended local schools, and gained entry to Oxford, after which she made a strategic sidestep to the New York University school of law, working as an attorney there before returning to London to re-qualify. Her exceptional mind, and fluency in French and Arabic, endeared her immediately to one of London's top QCs, Geoffrey Robertson, who took the unprecedented move of hiring her on the spot after she was consulted to advise him on Lebanon. Her first job there was to represent former Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko.
Beauty Samples - Free

A former colleague said of her that she is "one of the first people I would call if I had a career dilemma or a personal crisis, and she is good at 
making playlists for parties".

For Clooney, who himself has been an active campaigner for human rights, Alamuddin represents an entry into a world that no doubt seems more impressive, prestigious and relevant than his usual circuit of press junkets and Hollywood parties. After all, Clooney is from a politically and socially engaged background. His father was a journalist and ran as a Democrat for a seat in the House of Representatives.

Most of Clooney's previous partners have actively courted celebrity. Amal, on the other hand, has earned herself a strategic position at the centre of events that will shape history. Her kind of influence is something that George will never get close to.

There will no doubt be some adjustment involved as they settle into married life together. Clooney is well used to setting the agenda in his day-to-day life. As a Hollywood elder statesman and one of the most influential names in his industry (not to mention a sex symbol) he is accustomed to dating women who are more than happy to fit around his schedule. But given Alamuddin's various and pressing commitments, the tables have turned. Reports suggest he has already had to spend quite a bit of time cooling his heels waiting for her to finish work so that they can spend time together.

And now, of course, Alamuddin is not only one of the legal profession's brightest stars, but is fast becoming famous - on her way to being a celebrity wife as recognisable as Carla Bruni or Kate Middleton. And she wears it well, with grace and elegance - having distinguished herself early on as a beauty whose sense of style has 
won the approval of the fashion press. But she is unlike either of them, or any woman whose role is primarily as a professional attache to a more powerful husband. Amal 
may be lesser known than Clooney, but she is more important, and he knows it. It is, in fact, exactly this reason that led him to her; after dating 
a string of TV presenters, 
models and even a WWE 
wrestler, he finally seems to have found what he was looking for: a woman of substance. For the rest of us, Alamuddin sets an example worth aspiring to.

- See more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Katiedot on Mon 25 Aug 2014, 14:34; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text to post (please post the whole story, not just links))

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney as a 'trophy husband'? Empty Re: George Clooney as a 'trophy husband'?

Post by jd68 Mon 25 Aug 2014, 13:09

Loved it! Thank you for sharing it.
jd68
jd68
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

George Clooney as a 'trophy husband'? Empty Re: George Clooney as a 'trophy husband'?

Post by ispy Mon 25 Aug 2014, 14:27

Thank you, 
wonderful article about an outstanding woman. Possible world leader!
Mr Clooney is so lucky to have met AMAL!

ispy
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Mon 25 Aug 2014, 15:04

A possible world leader doesn't close her or his facebookaccount ... Very Happy
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Mon 25 Aug 2014, 17:10

Trophy husband, I love it. "Shh, honey, don't talk, just sit there and look pretty." Oh, how the tables have turned. Smile

And cue the "How DARE she!" posts in 3...2..1
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 25 Aug 2014, 19:00

I'd think it a hoot if that developed...and I believe that
George would too !

Sofa bounce
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by fridadereval Tue 26 Aug 2014, 19:55

Very refreshing take on "girl power". No matter where you stand on Amal's politics, you can't deny the fact that she is a strong woman and that she didn't really need Clooney to advance in her profession. You and I may never have heard of her if they did not cross path, but she would have still been able to advance to the highiest ranks regardless. I admire Amal. She is ambitious and hard working. Considering how upside down her world has turned in the past few months, I feel that she has been grace under fire. I am sorry to see so many women who seem to need to shred her to pieces. Marriage is hard enough without having to live under the microscope!! Good luck George and Amal!!

fridadereval
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Tue 26 Aug 2014, 21:45

I can't believe it took almost 24 hours for the first "Amal is the devil incarnate" post. Improvement! At this rate, maybe by their 25th anniversary everyone will actually like her. Wink
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Tue 26 Aug 2014, 21:48

It disappeared while I was typing!
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cece42 Tue 26 Aug 2014, 21:53

WOW is that what happens on this forum, if you don't like it that someone doesn't agree with you, you erase their reply.

Cece42
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Tue 26 Aug 2014, 21:57

1) I don't think the person she was addressing has the power to remove posts and 2) that was more than simple disagreement.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 26 Aug 2014, 23:10

People can edit their own posts shortly after posting. None of the moderators have edited it (we always leave a comment in the post so you know it's been edited) so I'd assume the author herself deleted it.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakin460 Tue 26 Aug 2014, 23:12

I don't berate her possible intelligence or ambition. I do think she had a leg up in the world she inhabits in that she was born into money & prestige & privilege.  You can't attribute virtue to all that accomplishment.  
So I'm not buying into the whole glory of her pedigree.  She's a trophy wife.  He 's a trophy husband.  By all accounts they have the appearance of an idyllic life.  The reality is probably far from it & methinks George will be a lonely married man burying himself in his work when the honeymoon is over.
Lakin460
Lakin460
Slow dancing with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakin460 Tue 26 Aug 2014, 23:22

Of course, there is always the theory that, being the control freak he is, this is what he planned - a marriage that (presumably) silences his critics & one that allows him to indulge his first love, that being his career/legacy.

Sorry, feeling a tad cynical this evening.
Lakin460
Lakin460
Slow dancing with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 26 Aug 2014, 23:38

No worries. Seeing as we'll never have the answer, we can speculate away. I'd guess that even years after they're married some will believe it was true love and others will believe it was done for his convenience. Only two people will know which.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Wed 27 Aug 2014, 00:36

Amal is 17 years George's junior, attractive, comes from affluence, and unlike every other woman you'll see on anyone's arm on the red carpet. She couldn't be more of a trophy if she were gold-plated and mounted on a faux marble stand.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 27 Aug 2014, 04:01

At this point I don't care if she's a trophy wife or a hood ornament! I don't care if he's "marrying up" or if she's the luckiest girl alive. I only hope she makes him happy - and if they FINALLY do get married, I hope it lasts longer than the usual 2 year gf run. It would be really sad if he woke up one morning wondering wtf he had gotten himself into.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Wed 27 Aug 2014, 04:11

Rings on his fingers and bells on his toes and a bone in his nose, ho ho!!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Wed 27 Aug 2014, 08:29

I don't see a wagon load of anti Amal comments here. What's the problem.
The article is silly, no sane person takes it seriously.

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Wed 27 Aug 2014, 19:39

LizzyNY wrote:At this point I don't care if she's a trophy wife or a hood ornament! I don't care if he's "marrying up" or if she's the luckiest girl alive. I only hope she makes him happy - and if they FINALLY do get married, I hope it lasts longer than the usual 2 year gf run. It would be really sad if he woke up one morning wondering wtf he had gotten himself into.
Lizzy, start the count down.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Wed 27 Aug 2014, 19:47

Katiedot wrote:No worries.  Seeing as we'll never have the answer, we can speculate away.  I'd guess that even years after they're married some will believe it was true love and others will believe it was done for his convenience.  Only two people will know which.
Katiedot, I wish I had your optimism about this upcoming event. There is something "off" about it.  Wish I could put my finger on it.  Not wishing to be a wet blanket, but there is something about this - can't even bring myself to call it a marriage.  However it fits into George's life....

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 27 Aug 2014, 21:18

Pigpen  - Maybe it's just that everything about how they fit together is just a little too perfect. It's almost as if he went down a checklist and ordered her up from some elite match-making site: attractive, smart, independent career, world traveler,  "humanitarian", wealthy, accustomed to luxury and comfortable around celebrity, young enough to look good for a while and possibly have a family (if he's changed his mind about kids).
I have the same uneasy feeling that you do, but for the time being it seems to be a "love match". For both their sakes I really hope it is.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Wed 27 Aug 2014, 21:40

Way2Old4Dis wrote:Amal is 17 years George's junior, attractive, comes from affluence, and unlike every other woman you'll see on anyone's arm on the red carpet. She couldn't be more of a trophy if she were gold-plated and mounted on a faux marble stand.
Way, think she'll do the red carpet, or slip in quietly through a side door?  If she plays inaccessible,and gives George the spotlight at premieres and film festivals,  it makes her more "news"

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 27 Aug 2014, 21:54

If she slips in the side door and lets him grab the spotlight it's one thing. If she doesn't show up at all because she's "working", IMO it just raises more questions about their marriage.

(And if she gets any thinner she could be standing right next to him and we'd never know it Smile - seriously, not being snarky, but she's getting very thin - maybe it's pre-wedding nerves. Hopefully she'll start eating again after they're married.)
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 27 Aug 2014, 22:15

Lakin460 wrote: I do think she had a leg up in the world she inhabits in that she was born into money & prestige & privilege.  You can't attribute virtue to all that accomplishment.  
I know we're going off topic but I did want to jump in to say that you don't get a law degree from Oxford, nor do you get top marks in the post-degree courses that she did through being born into money. That comes from having brains and putting in a shit load of very hard work. In terms of her career to date she's said by those who know what they're talking about that she's exceptional and that wasn't handed to her on a plate.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Thu 28 Aug 2014, 00:41

I don't doubt at all that they are a good match and madly in love.  My only concern is how fast everything is happening.  I get the whole "when you know, you know" thing, but they both have very complicated lives that don't make maintaining relationships of any kind easy.  If the timeline they're selling is true, they were still in the "Every single thing about you is WONDERFUL!" stage of the relationship when they got engaged.  Since then, they've been on vacation in one of the most beautiful places on earth; if you can't be in love in Como, you may as well just join the nunnery.  Once the wedding is over and reality sets in and they both hit the ground running with work in the fall, it's going to take so much more effort to keep things going.  I wish them the best, but I'm a little nervous for them.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cece42 Thu 28 Aug 2014, 04:44

As far as her walking the red carpet, you better believe she won't go in a side door, she seems to love all the attention and will want everyone to know she is Mrs. George Clooney, who wouldn't.

Cece42
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Thu 28 Aug 2014, 13:56

I think you are right Cece, Amal won't walk any red carpets or be part of the publicity until she has that wedding ring on her finger. She would want to distinguish herself from all the other females he has walked the red carpet with.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by NewFanForever Fri 29 Aug 2014, 07:30

theminis wrote:I think you are right Cece, Amal won't walk any red carpets or be part of the publicity until she has that wedding ring on her finger. She would want to distinguish herself from all the other females he has walked the red carpet with.

Now this is a interesting statement.

As far as I am concerned I feel its too soon for any serious talk let alone marriage.

The first year or so couples are in a love/sex bubble and not thinking straight.

Until you see a partner and know how they will act under most circumstances/situations you don't really know them well enough.

And you are really dicing with danger!

And sometimes you will never really know someone...only want they want you to know!

NewFanForever
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down