George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George sells his LA home
George Says He's Marrying Up EmptyFri 04 Oct 2024, 19:07 by LizzyNY

» Chit Chat 2024
George Says He's Marrying Up EmptyFri 04 Oct 2024, 00:30 by LizzyNY

» Oct 2024 Clooney dinner Party
George Says He's Marrying Up EmptyWed 02 Oct 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» My Wolfs review
George Says He's Marrying Up EmptySat 28 Sep 2024, 16:56 by Ida

» Happy Tenth Wedding Anniversary to George and Amal
George Says He's Marrying Up EmptyFri 27 Sep 2024, 13:20 by Ida

» 2004 more Pranks that Alex does
George Says He's Marrying Up EmptyFri 27 Sep 2024, 12:13 by Ida

» https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13897139/George-Clooney-Amal-stars-Albies-charity-NYC.html
George Says He's Marrying Up EmptyFri 27 Sep 2024, 11:52 by annemariew

» Clooneys and family and friends in Venice
George Says He's Marrying Up EmptyThu 26 Sep 2024, 18:08 by party animal - not!

» George sends congratulations to Cate Blanchett on her latest success
George Says He's Marrying Up EmptySun 22 Sep 2024, 15:52 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Says He's Marrying Up

+22
Missa
Einstein
bamboochacha
isogotit
justpassinthrough
it's me
amaretti
theminis
premiere
fava
party animal - not!
Cece42
Sevens
PigPen
Alisonfan
LJN2606
Boshkash
Jenn
Way2Old4Dis
melbert
LizzyNY
Joanna
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

George Says He's Marrying Up Empty George Says He's Marrying Up

Post by Joanna Sun 20 Jul 2014, 20:57

And besides....today 20 July on another thread....
we have his quote "I'm marrying up"

Coolio
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George Says He's Marrying Up Empty Re: George Says He's Marrying Up

Post by LizzyNY Sun 20 Jul 2014, 21:21

Jo - Phooey! Now even he's drinking the kool-aid!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 21 Jul 2014, 01:39

George Clooney Marrying Up: Bachelor-No-More ‘Marrying Up’ With Amal Alamuddin

[url=http://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.inquisitr.com%2F1363781%2Fgeorge-clooney-marrying-up-bachelor-no-more-marrying-up-with-amal-alamuddin%2F&media=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.inquisitr.com%2Fwp-content%2Fthemes%2Finquisitr%2Fdist%2Fimages%2F1x1.trans.png&description=George Clooney Marrying Up%3A Bachelor-No-More %E2%80%98Marrying Up%E2%80%99 With Amal Alamuddin][/url]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

George Clooney said he’s “marrying up” during a new interview. Apparently the actor, who usually isn’t one to talk about his personal life, feels as though marrying Amal Alamuddin is a total win. According to People Magazine, the bachelor-no-more made the comment during his recent interview with Variety. It sounds like Clooney is saying that his wife-to-be is better than he is — which is a great compliment. However, George could have just meant that he’s (finally) getting married — like he’s “wifing it up” which is slang for a man who is getting married.

Either way, it’s fun to hear George Clooney talk about getting married because most people just never though it would happen. According to People, Clooney, 53, and Alamuddin, 36, will wed in Italy in September of this year.

George Clooney is marrying up no matter which way you look at it. The man has been a serial dater for much of his life, after his divorce from Talia Balsam in 1993. According to Who’s Dated Who, Clooney has had at least 17 girlfriends over the past two decades, but none really made him want to settle down and get married again… until now.

So what is it about Amal Alamuddin that made George realize that he wants to have a wife? Well, it is likely a combination of things. For starters, Alamuddin is very smart. She has a great career as a lawyer, specializing in international law. She speaks a few languages, has authored a book, and she is well-educated. Beyond the career and the brains, Alamuddin is a very private person who isn’t into the flashy Hollywood scene. She is more reserved and less spotlight savvy, if you will.

George Clooney is smart, but he is marrying up with Alamuddin, there’s no question. The woman is a power house who can hold her own in a conversation, financially, and in life in general. Clooney is the only celebrity-lover on her dating roster, so it’s clear that she’s not out looking for someone rich and famous (she just got lucky, apparently).

As previously reported by The Inquisitr, Clooney has faced some rumors in regard to his new relationship. One in particular claimed that Clooney had to become a Muslim to marry his girlfriend, but he vehemently denied the rumor, threatening legal action against the source that released the false information (Mail Online).

Read more at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 21 Jul 2014, 02:49

Nicky80 wrote:Seems like he can't let go and needs to hit the DM one more time  Very Happy

I don't think he was beating his chest about it. Apparently, Variety called him. He answered some questions.

I suppose he could have not come to the phone.

George (in background): Who is it?

Amal (covering phone): It's Variety. They want to ask you about the Daily Mail dust-up.

George shakes his head. Amal returns to the call.

Amal (into phone): He said he's not here.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 21 Jul 2014, 02:52

The best relationships might be the ones in which both parties think they married up.

I'm speculating. Never had the good fortune myself. Always managed to stretch down as far as my lust would reach.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 21 Jul 2014, 03:26

Way2Old - Thanks for the laughs. Very Happy Been there myself.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenn Mon 21 Jul 2014, 03:53

Embarassed
 Embarassed 
 Embarassed  So Sweet.
Jenn
Jenn
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Boshkash Mon 21 Jul 2014, 06:07

I don't know, but for me, I feel it became a case for personal gain for him, you said your point, ppl applaud you for it, why keep talking about it? I thought the whole thing was for DM crossing the line and Clooney pushing them back to it, and if he wasn't satisfied, then he should sue them, not turn the whole thing into a fight club..

Boshkash
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 21 Jul 2014, 12:35

Poor George.. He can't win either way ! lol! 

But I don't suppose he's bothered about it.
He's got his lady and he looks happy. Period.  Coolio 
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LJN2606 Mon 21 Jul 2014, 12:50

He's 'Marrying Up'? I thought they were on the same level. People have said he's finally met someone who is as smart as him, now he's marrying up? PULEEASE! I'm getting a little tired of this whole thing.

LJN2606
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Mon 21 Jul 2014, 13:33

George should let this go.  At this stage it looks petty.
He should say he looks forward to future happiness and contentment with his bride, that would be more of a slap to the DM than repeating this negative story.

The "marrying up", sweet, but almost tabloid in it's own right.
Also, I would not wish for my daughter to be thought of as "marrying down", a joke but not a tasteful joke.

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Mon 21 Jul 2014, 15:39

George loves to be glib, has a long standing history of it. My take is his comment was a quip. Not sure how to phrase it..maybe he's tired of SO much attention he's been getting since April, why he's looking aged and tired of late. he decided to be flip. Besides, did anyone think he'd give an honest answer about his private life ( I've met the person I want to spend the rest of my life with, etc).

oddly, I was thinking about this and the prenup last night... what if he is marrying up? Does anyone know her actual worth... inheritance, trust funds , etc. She may be worth as much or more that he is.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Mon 21 Jul 2014, 15:57

I dont think Amal is worth 280 million dollars.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 21 Jul 2014, 16:04

LizzyNY wrote:Jo - Phooey! Now even he's drinking the kool-aid!

Oooo......what's Kool Aid ?  confused 
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Mon 21 Jul 2014, 16:06

You sure?????

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 21 Jul 2014, 16:16

Jo - KoolAid is a disgusting sugary drink you make by mixing a powder with water. It comes in a packet and every American home with kids has some in the pantry.

The "drinking the KoolAid" comes from a religious cult whose members all killed themselves by drinking poisoned KoolAid, because they were brainwashed by their leader.

IMO, George is "drinking the KoolAid" because he's buying into the media's bullshit idea that he's marrying up.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 21 Jul 2014, 16:20

I don't think she is personally worth that much, but her family might be. Either way, I don't think she's hurting for money.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Mon 21 Jul 2014, 16:22

My point. In an ugly divorce she may have as much to lose as him. Or the marrying up quip was a sarcastic hint (wink wink). Aw hell, who knows WTF is going on?? about any of it.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Mon 21 Jul 2014, 17:19

Well the "marrying up" quote is getting him a lot of attention.  So far People, E! and CBS websites have it posted.  Yeah, like he didn't know this choice of words wouldn't get him a whole bunch of ink!!    sarcasm sarcasm

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cece42 Mon 21 Jul 2014, 17:32

Just read the blog from the tribune, please lets quit glorifying this girl. According to them she is smart, like all the other girlfriends were dumb. She's not blond or a waitress, really? I believe she is enjoying the limelight and perks just like all the rest did. This article is a slap in the face to GC. As far as him "Marrying Up" really?

Cece42
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 21 Jul 2014, 17:56

PigPen wrote:My point.  In an ugly divorce she may have as much to lose as him.  Or the marrying up quip was a sarcastic hint (wink wink).  Aw hell, who knows WTF is going on??  about any of it.  

I think we can be sure that if this woman were personally worth almost $300M, owned 3 estates (that we know of) in three different countries, was co-owner of a successful business enterprise, and had guaranteed income in the millions -- without doing another day of work, because it's all from backend deals and residuals -- for the rest of her life, we'd know about it. No way she has as much to lose financially as George.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 21 Jul 2014, 18:55

Oh, I don't know, Pigpen. Just musing. And that's what she wore to Harry's and Ferretti's based in Milan. Handy..

New angle pix and comment re marrying up in Laineys Gossip

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

George Clooney is “marrying up”

George Clooney spoke to Variety the other day to sh-t on The Daily Mail some more. Click here to read the article. I understand that he wants to treat them like they treat others and it is indeed kinda funny that they have to just eat all his punches bent over. I appreciate that he’s not doing the “I’M SUING YOU!” thing like so many of his peers. And it’s the principle. Of course it’s the principle. But where is the line between principle and…letting it go? Serious question. Let me know.

Anyway, at the very end of it, because Variety’s given him a microphone, he gives them back a bone with a comment about Amal Alamuddin. George being George, who’s played this game at the top of the game for years, he makes it a good one:

“I’m marrying up.”

Given her resumé, yeah, I’m pretty sure most of you agree. She’s educated. She’s informed. She’s an advocate. She’s a debater. And him? He’s …an actor. I think that’s his point, although I can’t decide whether or not it’s patronising that he’s saying it. Her accomplishments speak for themselves, you know?

Attached – Amal and George after dinner at Harry’s Bar in Lake Como the other day.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Nicky80 on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 19:03; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text and pics)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Mon 21 Jul 2014, 18:59

IMO "marrying up" is an old-fashioned saying in the middle of the US (where I am also from).  My dad used to use it all the time about my mom.  I bet George's dad uses is about Nina. I don't think it needs to mean wealthier or of better social standing.  It means "I did good" or "she is a good person and makes me a better person."

It's a compliment from George to Amal--and I don't believe it has anything to do with material things or social status.  Just that he thinks she is a good person--smart, committed, etc. and that he needs to make an effort to be worthy of her, not the other way around. Typical self-effacing George.

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 21 Jul 2014, 19:01

I don't think George is partaking of the Kool-Aid. I think it's the best of his self-deprecating humor.

There's also the underlying, "how great must I be if someone like her is with me?"

He knows he's the catch. He knows there are probably about fifteen women in the world to whom he could legitimately be said to be "marrying up." (Yeah, I'm exaggerating.) But he also knows that everyone knows Amal is smart, and a barrister, and blah blah blah... while also knowing his history with women and that he's 53 and was running out of time to lock down a woman who wouldn't make either of them look like a skeeze.

But I think it's awfully adorable of him to say that. Self-serving as it is.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 21 Jul 2014, 19:21

Ummm... Where the hell is the rest of her body in that first (top, Lainey) photo? Did they digitally remove half her body? She looks like an impossibly proportioned doll. I half expect her to have tiny, pointed, hyperextended feet with a peg at the bottom so she fits in a stand.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 21 Jul 2014, 20:03

Lainey's comment about "I'm marrying up"
made me laugh.

After all the years that she's been
observing/analysing/commenting on George, doesn't she get his sense of humour yet ?  Basketball 

Btw....Is Lainey a real person or is it just a group of commentators who write the columns ?
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 21 Jul 2014, 20:44

Good explanation fava....I interpreted it to mean something like that.....nice to know the origins.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 21 Jul 2014, 21:24

It's a great phrase - whichever way you read it it's positive.

Here's another angle from the Washington Post

George Clooney is still celebrating his win over the Daily Mail

“It’s just fun to slap those bad guys every once in a while, knock ‘em around.”

– George Clooney on his recent online beef with the Daily Mail over a story the tabloid published (and eventually took down) about alleged religious in-fighting in fiancee Amal Alamuddin’s family.

The actor told Variety recently that celebrities should choose their battles carefully.

“Every day they write things that aren’t true, but every once in a while they write something that is actually dangerous to your family, and it’s probably not true. And that’s the one you pick.”

On July 9 Clooney wrote in an essay for USA Today that the Mail story, which claimed Alamuddin’s family disapproved of her marriage to Clooney because he is not Druze, was “negligent,” “dangerous” and “completely fabricated.”

It wasn’t until the Daily Mail dust-up that Clooney, 53, publicly confirmed his engagement to Alamuddin. (The actor began dating the 36-year-old British lawyer last October, and in February the two were spotted together in Washington, when Clooney was in town to screen his film “The Monuments Men” at the White House.) In his latest chat with Variety, the actor joked that he was “marrying up.”

So, it looks like the more Clooney shoots down false details about his relationship, the more he actually reveals about said relationship.

Last edited by Nicky80 on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 21:27; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added text)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by premiere Mon 21 Jul 2014, 21:44

Interesting comments on this by Celebitchy today.

Also, I've always hated the expression "marrying up." It just sounds so patronizing to me.
premiere
premiere
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Mon 21 Jul 2014, 22:26

I think Lainey is a real person
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Mon 21 Jul 2014, 22:29

Elaine Lui
Elaine "Lainey" Lui is a Canadian television personality, reporter, and infotainer. She considers herself a self-proclaimed gossip maven. Wikipedia
Born: September 26, 1973 (age 40), Toronto, Canada
Education: University of Western Ontario, Toronto French School

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Mon 21 Jul 2014, 22:31

I think so too. Paul Newman always said nice things about Joanne Woodward .

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Mon 21 Jul 2014, 22:32

One of his more famous lines, when asked about cheating... " why go out for hamburg, when you have steak waiting for you at home.'

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 21 Jul 2014, 22:37

A lot of men won't turn down a free burger, no matter what's on the menu at home.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Mon 21 Jul 2014, 22:41

I'm getting tired, actually getting bored, with  Amal/George.  Wake me up when George Jr graduates from MIT.  Or there is some sort of story that doesn't include her brilliance, his defending whatever/whoever, or the month September.  Til then, I'll be at the bar Drink 3  Drink 2

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Mon 21 Jul 2014, 22:43

GTC ??? Not now,perhaps later??

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 21 Jul 2014, 23:10

waiting?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 21 Jul 2014, 23:15

LOOOL
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by justpassinthrough Mon 21 Jul 2014, 23:51

PigPen wrote:I'm getting tired, actually getting bored, with  Amal/George.  Wake me up when George Jr graduates from MIT.  Or there is some sort of story that doesn't include her brilliance, his defending whatever/whoever, or the month September.  Til then, I'll be at the bar Drink 3  Drink 2

Yeah, it's been a little too much lately.

justpassinthrough
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by isogotit Tue 22 Jul 2014, 00:05

justpassinthrough wrote:
PigPen wrote:I'm getting tired, actually getting bored, with  Amal/George.  Wake me up when George Jr graduates from MIT.  Or there is some sort of story that doesn't include her brilliance, his defending whatever/whoever, or the month September.  Til then, I'll be at the bar Drink 3  Drink 2

Yeah, it's been a little too much lately.

So totally agree
isogotit
isogotit
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by bamboochacha Tue 22 Jul 2014, 00:06

is he ever sober? perhaps she's smiling knowing full well that he'll pass out the second he hits the couch and she won't need to old man it. lol.  flower 
bamboochacha
bamboochacha
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Tue 22 Jul 2014, 00:44

“It’s just fun to slap those bad guys every once in a while, knock ‘em around.” GTC.

Read this as a comment on a news site made me LOOOOOL,

"If he really wants to slap some bad guys perhaps Ms Alamuddin should introduce him to some of her clients. That should really be fun for him."

Laughing

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Tue 22 Jul 2014, 00:55

Oh yes GTC . flower flower flower 

amaretti

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Tue 22 Jul 2014, 01:00

GTC.  Drink 3 

amaretti

Back to top Go down

Post by Einstein Tue 22 Jul 2014, 01:12

Hello people, I do not think that there will be a marriage. And if so, Amal is separate from Clooney again. I think that Clooney has a drinking problem. This woman like this would never be with an alcoholic patient.I see Clooney always on pictures with a glass of alcohol in his hand. Clooney has a drinking problem because I'm sure. And on the large picture above because he is drunk.
Einstein
Einstein
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Tue 22 Jul 2014, 02:47

fava - that's exactly how I've always heard the phrase "marrying up" used, and it's always considered a compliment, at least in my neck of the woods.

Way2 - both partners feeling like they're "marrying up" sounds like the recipe for a perfect marriage. And that picture made me double-take too. I've occasionally heard someone use the description "She's so thin, if she turned sideways she'd disappear," but I never thought I see it happen.

Just a question for the people who are bored with George: why are you on a George Clooney fan site? Maybe it's me, but I don't find much Clooney news seeping into my everyday life. I have to actively seek it out, so when it gets boring or too aggravating, I stop looking for it.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Cece42 Tue 22 Jul 2014, 05:44

Alisonfan wrote:“It’s just fun to slap those bad guys every once in a while, knock ‘em around.” GTC.

Read this as a comment on a news site made me LOOOOOL,

"If he really wants to slap some bad guys perhaps Ms Alamuddin should introduce him to some of her clients. That should really be fun for him."

Laughing
OH YES!!!!!

Cece42
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Picachu Tue 22 Jul 2014, 05:58

I'm not bored with George but I do have a laugh at some of the comments on this forum, always funny to read people's interpretation of something

Last edited by Picachu on Tue 22 Jul 2014, 06:00; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling. Oopsy)
Picachu
Picachu
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by justpassinthrough Tue 22 Jul 2014, 06:27

Alisonfan wrote:

I would not wish for my daughter to be thought of as "marrying down", a joke but not a tasteful joke.

I can only imagine what's going on in her mother's head with this comment. Alisonfan, you hit it right on the head!

justpassinthrough
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Tue 22 Jul 2014, 07:23

It is sweet that he stated he is marrying up, his way of paying Amal a compliment, doesn't necessarily mean she is marrying down - for all we know his family is over the moon with her choice!!
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next