George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» The Good News
George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 18:19 by annemariew

» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor

+16
Lighterside
Way2Old4Dis
sparkie
PigPen
Missa
bgarabedian
justpassinthrough
LornaDoone
Joanna
fava
party animal - not!
lelacorb
Mazy
Nicky80
melbert
Katiedot
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor Empty George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor

Post by Katiedot Thu 05 Jun 2014, 22:02

Poor old California. From the governator to the worst Batman iin film history? Thanks Henway for this one.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Jun 4, 2014

By LifeStyleWeekly

EXCLUSIVE: George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor

Actor. Director. Humanitarian. California governor? George Clooney may soon be following in the footsteps of his Hollywood peer-turned-politician, Arnold Schwarzenegger. A political insider exclusively tells Life & Style the Democratic Party is eying George for the 2018 gubernatorial race.

“Democrats are looking for the perfect successor to [current governor Jerry Brown], and George is interested,” the insider tells Life & Style, on stands now. “He has it all: He’s a handsome movie star with a social conscience who has used his fame for human-rights causes.”

Another political plus for George? His recent engagement to Amal Alamuddin, an internationally respected human-rights attorney the Democrats calls “a dream” first lady.

“They are thrilled George is going to be married, because they think a married George will be taken a whole lot more seriously than perpetual-bachelor George.”

He’s got our vote!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor Empty Re: George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor

Post by melbert Fri 06 Jun 2014, 01:54

Govna Clooney - naaaaaaaa...
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor Empty Re: George Clooney Courted to Run for California Governor

Post by Nicky80 Fri 06 Jun 2014, 07:49

After they mad Arnold Schwarzenegger to their Governor I believe everything. I never thought this will happen. But as he wasn't a good Governor in Cali I can imagine that people in California don't trust anymore any celebrity in this position  Razz  Besides. I don't think George is interesting in doing it.
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Fri 06 Jun 2014, 15:41

On the plus side the only way to go is up,
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Fri 06 Jun 2014, 21:29

I have always considered George a very intelligent man and if I'm not mistakenopinion, this will never happen!
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 06 Jun 2014, 21:33

LOL!  Good point Lela
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 15 Jun 2014, 17:11

George Clooney set to follow in Arnold Schwarzenegger's footsteps and run for Governor of California

The actor is planning to launch a political career after marrying British lawyer Amal Alamuddin,

Hollywood heartthrob George Clooney is set to follow in the footsteps of fellow actor Arnold Schwarzenegger by running for Governor of California.

Friends of the Gravity star say the 53-year-old is being courted by Barack Obama’s Democrat party who want him to run for office in the 2018 race.
As the Mirror exclusively revealed last month George is planning to launch his new career after he ties the knot with British lawyer Amal Alamuddin, 36, in September, following an eight-month romance.
Friends say the stunning human rights barrister, who represented WikiLeaks' Julian Assange, initially wants to continue her career in London but is happy to move to America to support her soon-to-be husband’s blossoming political career.
The couple have been hurriedly looking at potential wedding venues and have identified Venice as their number one choice so far for an Autumn ceremony.
George already counts Obama as a good friend and four months ago was the President’s guest for a screening of his latest movie, The Monuments Men, at the White House.
The actor flew Amal to Washington for the special reception where witnesses said they were “stuck like glue together” throughout the night.
"They were holding hands," said Harry Ettlinger, 88, one of the World War II soldiers whose efforts to recover stolen art from the Nazis inspired the film.
If George was successful in gaining victory in California it would put him on course to follow Ronald Reagan’s lead, who after becoming governor of the Golden State, was voted in to the White House. 
If the Oscar winner eventually won the 2020 race for the Presidency it would see Amal installed as the only British First Lady in history.
A friend said: “George is hugely popular with the Democrats and where better a place to put him than as the Governor of California the home of Hollywood.
“It has always been a huge stronghold for the party and one that has a proven record for getting politicians in to the Oval office
“Now that Amal is by his side it has boosted his credentials even higher.
“She is as far removed as some of the girls he has previously dated and possesses incredible intelligence that bodes well if she ever does become First Lady.
“It would certainly add a new meaning to the “special relationship” between Britain and America.”
Previously George has been a huge supporter of campaigns by the Democratic Party and rallied for Obama at the 2012 election to ensure the President was successful in securing a second term in office.
He is an ardent campaigner for human rights and has personally funded his own drone spying missions to report war atrocities and human rights violations in Syria to the US government.
He was once arrested outside the Sudanese Embassy after a planned protest over Darfur.
That year George ruled out running for president and said: "There's a guy in office who is smarter than anybody. I have no interest."
His spokesperson has refused to comment on his ambitions to enter politics however friends close to the star say he has turned down several long-term projects in Hollywood to ensure he remains free to pursue his goal. 

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 15 Jun 2014, 17:49

Oh, so living in London part of the time because that's where your wife works wouldn't be a problem, then........

Thought this had been categorically denied last week

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Sun 15 Jun 2014, 17:59

Yeah, funny how so many of these stories contradict each other.  Is he moving to London or France of being Gov. of California?  I had to laugh at the story that said the Como wedding was "cancelled."  No evidence it was ever planned!  I guess the Downton Abby wedding was cancelled too......

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 15 Jun 2014, 18:06

Just the journos earning a crust at George's expense....
again ! 

IMO of course.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sun 15 Jun 2014, 19:48

The terminator won cause he was married to American political powerhouse family and his indiscretions didn't come to light until AFTER he had served almost two terms.

Not only would it have to be hell freezing over but the collective memories of most of the GOP would have to shrivel up and die.  Along with every private investigator they would hire to dredge up every little secret in George's past.

Now I know we all said it would be a cold day in hell before George married, I think Amal's standards are a lot lower than what would be expected of someone running for office. (Spitzer and Wanker not withstanding. Oh, did I say Wanker I meant Weiner)!
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 15 Jun 2014, 20:15

LornaDoone wrote:
Not only would it have to be hell freezing over but the collective memories of most of the GOP would have to shrivel up and die.  Along with every private investigator they would hire to dredge up every little secret in George's past.

Ummmmm, all they have to do is come here and ask any of us!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Sun 15 Jun 2014, 22:04

George always said he would never have been interested in politics: either I Ceedo to what he has always said or otherwise Luo continues, for me to be very handsome man but with a small brain and in this case my hormones that are always crazy right he could take a vacation while waiting for a man as well as a beautiful smile and a in the bodies would also have a big brain
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by justpassinthrough Mon 16 Jun 2014, 02:32

If he was the Governor of California, at least we could understand him.

justpassinthrough
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Mon 16 Jun 2014, 02:38

blame it on google translate and move on...
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 16 Jun 2014, 03:20

Lorna, I think she may be referring to Arnold in the understanding department, not Lelacorb's post?
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Mon 16 Jun 2014, 03:32

good point. I was having trouble deciphering lela's post so I thought that's what the comment was about.

thanks for the clarification.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by justpassinthrough Mon 16 Jun 2014, 04:11

melbert wrote:Lorna, I think she may be referring to Arnold in the understanding department, not Lelacorb's post?
Yes, melbert.  I was referring to his thick accent and the way he pronounces words.  Thanks for clarifying it.

justpassinthrough
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bgarabedian Mon 16 Jun 2014, 08:00

I guess if George runs for Governor, he will have to prove himself worthy of the job. It is a tough job but being a film director, actor, producer, that is what I call a tough job. The wheels are turning and now I know why he wants to marry Amul, part of it is she also would help him in his career.It is better to be married than single in the job. Well, I hope he knows what he is doing, for the movie industry has taken him far, and he would not have all this money if it was not for his acting career in show business. Love you George, bg

bgarabedian
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Mon 16 Jun 2014, 23:25

bgarabedian wrote:I guess if George runs for Governor, he will have to prove himself worthy of the job. It is a tough job but being a film director, actor, producer, that is what I call a tough job. The wheels are turning and now I know why he wants to marry Amul, part of it is she also would help him in his career.It is better to be married than single in the job. Well, I hope he knows what he is doing, for the movie industry has taken him far, and he would not have all this money if it was not for his acting career in show business. Love you George, bg

George is not going into politics.

And if he were, marrying Amal would not help him.

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Mon 16 Jun 2014, 23:54

I have to agree Lorna at least I would hope he's smart enough not to give it a try. They would rake him over the coals with his background. He said (personally what they did to his father when he ran) he would never run. We all know Nick has a good background and reputation.

If it was not for the women and carousing around he would be terrific. But then you think of the idiot (reformed alcoholic) Bush won twice. But I still think he won't.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Tue 17 Jun 2014, 00:51

George is not running for a job that would require him to live in Sacramento for four years.  I'm sure it's a lovely city, but it ain't Lake Como.  

Frankly, I don't think he'd be a good candidate.  I think his Irish temper flares a little too easily when someone disagrees with him (see: any press conference where a journalist questioned his association with Nestle).  I think he does best when he's giving speeches and writing op-eds, and has time to form and edit a solid argument.  A live debate or contentious press conference would not be his strong suit.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Tue 17 Jun 2014, 00:57

LornaDoone wrote:The terminator won cause he was married to American political powerhouse family and his indiscretions didn't come to light until AFTER he had served almost two terms.

Now I know we all said it would be a cold day in hell before George married, I think Amal's standards are a lot lower than what would be expected of someone running for office. (Spitzer and Wanker not withstanding. Oh, did I say Wanker I meant Weiner)!
Freudian slip???

PigPen
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 17 Jun 2014, 03:21

Geez this story is being picked up by all those obscure news sources so much so that George was trending #1 on Yahoo News when I opened up my browser a couple of minutes ago.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Tue 17 Jun 2014, 06:53

LornaDoone wrote:Geez this story is being picked up by all those obscure news sources so much so that George was trending #1 on Yahoo News when I opened up my browser a couple of minutes ago.
It's all over twitter also I got tired of reading it.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by bgarabedian Tue 17 Jun 2014, 08:37

I would like to suggest whoever said he is not going into politics, I wonder how they would be so sure he is not. This is just my opinion and I think he will run for governor and give it a try. If he really wants something he will try to get it. he is a very determined man and does not give up so easy. You go George, and give all you got. love you george, bg

bgarabedian
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by sparkie Tue 17 Jun 2014, 08:43

Well he did say for over a decade he would never marry again so.....is this really so unbelieveable???
sparkie
sparkie
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Tue 17 Jun 2014, 13:04

Why would Smokehouse sign a new--very big-- develoment and production deal if George was going to start devoting time to politics? How would he pay for Satellite Sentinel?  Doesn't make any sense folks. He doesn't even spend the summers in California--how's woul that go over with voters?

He says he loves making movies and that is in many ways a much wider platform.  Plus the issues he seems to like are large moral issues--Sudan, gay marriage, etc--not things like state budget, infrastructure, etc.

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 17 Jun 2014, 14:32

I'm one of the people that are saying he won't go into politics.

Several reasons:

1.  When his dad ran for office in Kentucky, one of the reasons he lost was due to his opponent raking George through the coals for his lifestyle, his comments about the war, his Hollywood connections and money.  It became a very nasty campaign (not on  Nick's part but on his opponent's part).  George stated that HE did NOT help his dad at all in his campaign, if anything he hurt his dad's run.

2.  George, despite his work now, led a very party boy type of life for many years.  HE himself has stated on more than one occasion that he has "fucked too many women and taken too many drugs."  That's what he says, can you imagine what any conservative opponent is going to say once he's able to get his past in front of voters?

3.  Despite being a "blue" state, Northern California is mostly conservative - especially in the farming areas.  There are also very wealthy conservatives in Hollywood.  I'm sure there would be a LOT of money thrown into dredging up ANYTHING that would be considered a negative for George and bringing it into a campaign.

4.  George is planning to marry Amal a British citizen of Lebanese decent.  NOW I'M NOT being racist.  But if George REALLY were interested in running for office he would be marrying someone like a Jennifer Garner.  Total white bread, no controversy surrounding her -- including her family.  (So yea, I think Affleck would run for Governor before George ever did).  Whereas Amal's family has been linked to Arafat and as I said before, here in the US in MANY households, Arafat is considered a terrorist.  So marrying Amal brings problems if someone were considering running for political office.

So as much as some here, and obviously many in the media would like to think that George would make such a great candidate for political office, they are living in fucking fantasy-land.  Politics is a nasty business and George's past, ALL OF IT, even the stuff people in the general public don't know, would be investigated and used against him.

People here are fans and I think it's great that there's so much loyalty but the reality is that most of his fans here on this forum and commenting that he WOULD or SHOULD run for office, do not live in California and don't realize how many obstacles really are in his way for this type of aspiration.

But hey, if George really wants to run and take his chances with his past, and on top of that, put Amal in front of a very potentially nasty target, then go ahead run.

But me, I think George is smarter than that and won't run.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Tue 17 Jun 2014, 15:21

sparkie wrote:Well he did say for over a decade he would never marry again so.....is this really so unbelieveable???

He never said, "I'll never get engaged again."

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Tue 17 Jun 2014, 15:22

Great post Lorna, I totally agree with all points and would add that he would actually HATE doing the job, it's boring and you don't get half of what you want to get passed even if you're lucky and that's providing he should be so fortunate as to overcome every obstacle you recounted....not to mention, who the hell would willingly live in Sacramento for 4 days much less years, when they own homes in Lake Como, Cabo and his little hamlet in LA? hahahahaha
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Tue 17 Jun 2014, 15:24

Ditto to Lorna's comments. George running for office would shock me more than the engagement -- and prove that something has gone drastically wrong with his thinking and support system.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Tue 17 Jun 2014, 16:40

Way2Old4Dis wrote:
sparkie wrote:Well he did say for over a decade he would never marry again so.....is this really so unbelieveable???

He never said, "I'll never get engaged again."
 Yeah Right

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Tue 17 Jun 2014, 16:54

Lorna I have to say you laid it out perfectly.

Everyone here knows how much I love George but I also know he doesn't have a stellar past. To most of us it doesn't matter; in reality to voters it does. Right now there are sooo many stories going around the globe about our hero it is ridiculous the media needs something to write.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by lionheart Tue 17 Jun 2014, 19:23

WooHoo ! Clooney 2018  Cheerleader 

I asked few of my Americans friends and they said they would vote for him. Drink 3

lionheart
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 17 Jun 2014, 20:40

Just saw on MSN that Stan issued a denial of this rumor to political blog The Hill. He said the whole thing is a fabrication.

I guess that's that.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Tue 17 Jun 2014, 20:43

He also denied that George and Amal were dating six months before they got engaged.

I don't think he'll run, but for arguments sake, it would be in his best interest to deny it now even if he's thinking about it. You don't want to give the opposition 3 years to research and prepare.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 17 Jun 2014, 21:13

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 17 Jun 2014, 21:37

Missa - They don't need 3 years to prepare - 3 minutes would do it! There's enough about him out there already to give the Republicans all the ammo they'd need.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 17 Jun 2014, 22:14

LizzyNY wrote:Missa - They don't need 3 years to prepare - 3 minutes would do it! There's enough about him out there already to give the Republicans all the ammo they'd need.

brahahaha! You got that right!
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 17 Jun 2014, 22:19

Stan's denial probably came on the heels of a local media outlet here in Los Angeles picking up the fabrication and reporting it as news this morning.

KTLA a local station that is watched by MANY in Hollywood and they reported the story that George was planning on running for Governor.

I would bet that got Stan's attention as they are not a fly-by-night internet news service but a stationfrom which many folks here in Los Angeles get their morning news.

Once this story hit mainstream Stan HAD to get out in front of it and deny it.  IMO
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Tue 17 Jun 2014, 22:32

With Stan's impeccable credibility..., no one is believing that he is not running.
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 17 Jun 2014, 22:35

You forget that he says what his client tells him to say and when it comes to his personal life, George is the one who decides what is and what isn't said.

Stan's problem though is that he also represents folks like Charlie Sheen - a PR person's nightmare - but hey, it probably pays better than George's gig given the amount of work you end up having to do to clean up a train wreck like Charlie Sheen! HA!
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Tue 17 Jun 2014, 22:40

Lorna, it really doesn't matter who is telling Stan what to say and what not to say. The point is that Stan is as reliable as Pinocchio.
Maggy
Maggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Wed 18 Jun 2014, 00:28

I think Stan dropped Charlie as a client when he had that CRAZY public meltdown a couple years back.  I only remember it because I hadn't known Stan represented him prior to the announcement that he was dropping him, and thought Charlie and George made for an interesting roster of clients.  Funny that Stan didn't drop him when he, you know, shot a gun at one girlfriend and repeatedly abused his wife; apparently skipping out on scheduled interviews is the straw that breaks Stan's back.   Doh!
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 18 Jun 2014, 00:44

I'm wondering if all this isn't just a trial balloon to see what the response would be if he did decide to run.

I'm also wondering if going into politics is his idea or Amal's. She might be trying to "class up" his image to keep her own reputation as a "serious" professional.

a
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Wed 18 Jun 2014, 00:58

Well one thing that's adamant here, is AA wanting to give criminals a fair trial,
and I don't see how George would help her look any more serious.
Maggy
Maggy

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 18 Jun 2014, 01:53

Maggy - I just wondered if she believes it would help HER career if he went into politics, so she might be encouraging him to run for office.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Wed 18 Jun 2014, 02:20

Could be!

Smile
Maggy
Maggy

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Wed 18 Jun 2014, 15:03

LizzyNY wrote:I'm wondering if all this isn't just a trial balloon to see what the response would be if he did decide to run.

I'm also wondering if going into politics is his idea or Amal's. She might be trying to "class up" his image to keep her own reputation as a "serious" professional.

a
Good point.  All the research he did for Ides of March was not in vain.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next