George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Rosemary Clooney EmptyYesterday at 22:11 by Ida

»  George filming new film in UK
Rosemary Clooney EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Rosemary Clooney EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Rosemary Clooney EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Rosemary Clooney EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Rosemary Clooney EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Rosemary Clooney EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Rosemary Clooney EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Rosemary Clooney EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Rosemary Clooney

+15
Best in Category
LornaDoone
playfuldeb
Michelle meyers
Joanna
it's me
LyndaGirl
Dexterdidit
MM
cindigirl
Katiedot
melbert
lucy
Atalante
Merlin
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rosemary Clooney Empty Rosemary Clooney

Post by Merlin Sat 02 Apr 2011, 08:36

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

'An Evening with Rosemary Clooney' Ticket Sales Begin

Saturday, 02 April 2011 00:00
HENDERSON, KY – Ticket sales have begun for “An Evening with Rosemary Clooney,” a Chautauqua performance and cocktail party hosted by The Friends of Audubon on Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 6 p.m. in the Audubon Museum.

Tickets are $50 per person and can be purchased at John James Audubon State Park in Henderson. The event will be a fundraiser for the Audubon Theater Project and will feature an actress portraying Kentucky-native and Grammy Award winning artist Rosemary Clooney. Live music, hors d’oeuvres, cocktails, prize raffles and an inspirational film montage of Clooney’s career are all part of this event honoring one of Kentucky’s most treasured entertainers.

Clooney was born in Maysville, Ky., in 1928. In 1945, she and her sister Betty won a spot on Cincinnati, Ohio’s radio station WLW as singers. After her first recordings with Tony Pastor’s big band, she broke out on her own with a hit single “Come On-a My House” in 1951. From duets with Marlene Dietrich to her role in the 1954 movie “White Christmas” with Bing Crosby, Danny Kayeand Vera-Ellen, Clooney was always in good company throughout her career. By 1956, she had her own half-hour syndicated television musical-variety show “The Rosemary Clooney Show.”

Clooney, the constant artist, continued to perform even late into her life. She sang a duet of “Green Eyes” with Barry Manilow in his 1994 album, “Singin’ with the Big Bands.” She guest-starred in the NBC television medical drama“ER” (starring her nephew, George Clooney) in 1995; she received a Primetime Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series. In 1996 she appeared on Garrison Keillor’s Prairie Home Companion radio program. In 1999, Clooney founded the Rosemary Clooney Music Festival, held annually in Maysville, Ky., to benefit the restoration of the Russell Theaterin Maysville, where Clooney’s first film, “The Stars are Singing,” premiered in 1953. She received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2002 and died later that year.

For more information, call the park at (270) 827-1893.
Merlin
Merlin
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Rosemary Clooney Empty Re: Rosemary Clooney

Post by Atalante Fri 08 Apr 2011, 22:29

A funny group: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] lol!
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Fri 29 Apr 2011, 19:39

George and his diaper ! They were close !

Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 12 May 2011, 07:34

Back in 2003 many of Rosemary's friends and family gathered at Patsy's to celebrate what would have been her 75th birthday. Lots of memories were being shared that night.

Nice pic of Nick and Nina...

Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Thu 12 May 2011, 12:51

Thanks merlin,enjoyed looking at pics of Rosie's family, had only seen Miguel.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 12 May 2011, 18:07

Hi Lucy...I think there are some pics of Rosemary's children in the Old Family Pictures folder.
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Fri 13 May 2011, 02:18

Thanks Merlin!
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 18 May 2011, 19:30

Upcoming Malcolm Macfarlane book spotlights footnotes of Rosemary Clooney music

Researching his book on the musical life of the late Rosemary Clooney, Malcolm Macfarlane, and his wife Pat, toured the Rosemary Clooney House Museum on Tuesday before moving on to sites with Clooney ties in Maysville.

Tapping the roots of how the late Rosemary Clooney's family got to Kentucky and where her musical career traveled in her early days, author Malcolm Macfarlane has traveled from his home in England to Las Vegas and Augusta in a quest for answers.
Spending Monday visiting Augusta, and interviewing Clooney's brother, Nick Clooney, on Tuesday afternoon, Macfarlane and his wife, Pat also toured Maysville.
Clooney's family, along with her Guilfoyle ancestors have roots in Ireland, he said.
"Rosemary wrote a couple books about her life, but they concentrated on her family and personal life," said Macfarlane during a visit to The Rosemary Clooney House Museum in Augusta. "We wanted to do a book that contained more on her musical career, from Maysville and beyond."
Following a career as a banker in England, and as an avid Bing Crosby fan, Macfarlane decided he was fed up with less than factual accounts of Crosby's life in print and set out to research and write what would become the book Bing Crosby: Day by Day.
He is also the editor of Bing magazine for the International Club Crosby.
The Crosby book led to meeting another Crosby author, Ken Crossland, Macfarlane said.
The two collaborated on a book about entertainer Perry Como, then a chance meeting with Clooney's daughter, Maria Ferrer Murdock inspired the current project, he said.
"(Clooney's) career and what she did with it was quite remarkable," Macfarlane said.
Following a resurrection of her career, through an invitation from Crosby to his 50 years in entertainment party/performance at Dorothy Parker Pavilion in 1976, Clooney continued as a prolific entertainer, he said.
Macfarlane was also able to sit down in London, England, for an interview with Michael Feinstein, noted musician who hosts the American Songbook series on PBS, which has included Clooney memories and music.
"We had a lovely interview with him; he is very knowledgeable about her music," Macfarlane said.
Macfarlane does most of the research and passes the writing portion on to Crossland, he said.
"He already has about seven chapters of the book written, but we have some new information for him to inject," Macfarlane said. "We had originally wanted to have the book completed to coincide with the 10th anniversary of her death, but instead settled on what would have been her 85th birthday (2013)."
From road manager Allen Sviridoff's vision of Clooney going solo during her Four Girls Four period, to the influences of agent Roger Vorc, Macfarlane has tried to interview people who worked first-hand with Clooney in the musical side of her life.
"I have an interview with Debbie Boone (Clooney's daughter-in-law) and really want to get some insight from John Otto; that is critical," he said. "We are trying our best to get it right."
Included in the book will be a chronology and appendix for cross referencing.
"Rosemary Clooney's life in music is a remarkable story and we want to tell it the best we can," Macfarlane said.
"And revive her memory," Pat Macfarlane said.
During the recent trip, which began on May 3, Crosby's birth date and scheduled to return home on May 23, Clooney's birth date, Macfarlane met another former visitor to the museum and entertainer at the annual Rosemary Clooney Concert in Maysville.
"We got to spend some time with Rich Little," Macfarlane said. "He is so funny to talk to because he does the voices for who he is talking about. He knows so many people who also had connections to Rosemary."
The museum intrigued Macfarlane, giving him a view of how svelte Clooney had been in her early days, and a peek at memorabilia his favorite, Crosby, had worn in the movie "White Christmas" with Clooney.
"The dresses, her waist size at 24 inches, the whole ambiance of the photos, and posters with costumes and the music playing makes you want to know more about her," Macfarlane said.
Macfarlane and his wife planned to tour sites in Maysville, Tuesday and today, including Clooney's burial site in St. Patrick Cemetery and take a peak at sites around the city.
"The floodwalls are such dreary grey, then you get to the murals and they are magnificent," Pat Macfarlane said.
The couple visited the Maysville murals, including the two panels dedicated to Clooney at Limestone Landing, during a dinner outing to Caproni's Restaurant on Monday with Nick and Nina Clooney, she said.
After Maysville, the couple will travel to a couple more sites where Clooney had first moments in her career, including a stop in Philadelphia, Penn., and Atlantic City, N.J.
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 18 May 2011, 19:38

Ooops, they went to Caproni's again!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 18 May 2011, 20:31

Where's the pictures LOL
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 18 May 2011, 21:06

No pictures means it didn't happen. Probably the restaurant lying again.

[note: the above comment was severely sarcastic]
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Wed 18 May 2011, 23:46

Well they should interview George too for some funny stuff. Very Happy
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Thu 19 May 2011, 01:14

Wasn't it the RC museum that are the liars?
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 19 May 2011, 04:31

Yes but the restaurant staff were called liars too for telling some visitor that a random white haired man having dinner with his family was really Nick Clooney with George, Nina and Betty.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 19 May 2011, 06:57

Everyone in the whole world except 2 posters on IMDB are liars Razz
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Thu 19 May 2011, 07:41

When I read a stalker link ,I thought I recognized the persons from IMDB.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri 03 Jun 2011, 07:08

Nancy James Pays Tribute to Rosemary Clooney At The Carnegie 6/16

Thursday, June 2, 2011;

One of Hollywood's and Cincinnati's most beloved entertainers will be celebrated in song and visuals when "Nancy James Sings Rosemary Clooney" on June 16 at The Carnegie Visual and Performing Arts Center in Covington, Kentucky.

The Carnegie is across the Ohio River from Cincinnati, where the late Ms. Clooney got her start, singing on WLW Radio in the 1940s with her sister, Betty. Coincidentally, Nancy James also began her career at WLW, performing on the Bob Braun Show, a popular TV and radio show syndicated in the Midwest in the 1970s.

"I got to know Rosie when she came back several times as a guest on the Bob Braun Show," James said. "She was the quintessential girl next door. She had no airs, and was very kind and giving. She was as normal as anyone you would ever meet, even though she was one of the greatest singers in the world."

Clooney, who died in 2002, was a native of Maysville, Kentucky, about 50 miles from Cincinnati, and had moved from Beverly Hills to the nearby town of Augusta in her later years. Her house, which overlooks the Ohio River in Augusta, is now a museum featuring her music and movie memorabilia, including exhibits dedicated to George Clooney, her nephew.

The upcoming concert is being produced with cooperation from the Rosemary Clooney fan site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which is providing historic photos to be shown onstage during the show. The show will include an hour and a half of Clooney's greatest songs, as well as some that were not necessarily her favorites, such as the classic "Come On-A My House."

"Rosie thought it was just a silly novelty song," James said. "She also didn't like the idea of singing it in a mock Italian accent, but Columbia Records pressured her to do it, and it became a huge hit. She didn't like it, but her fans sure did."

Nancy James was trained at the prestigious College-Conservatory of Music (CCM) in Cincinnati, and has been a popular jazz vocalist in the area for three decades, having performed on television, radio and on stage. She is also the former co-host of the television program "Northern Kentucky Magazine."

Joining her onstage will be Carmon DeLeone, music director of the Cincinnati Ballet, the Illinois Philharmonic Orchestra and the Middletown (Ohio) Symphony Orchestra. DeLeone, who is recognized for his knowledge of music history, will introduce each song by telling a brief story about it. Also accompanying James will be other, popular Cincinnati musicians: pianist Steve Schmidt; trombonist Bill Gemmer; guitarist BrAd Meyers; and bass player Mike Sharfe, who toured with Clooney. Harmonizing with James will be composer Janet Yates-Vogt, co-writer of a new musical about Rosemary Clooney titled "Tenderly," which is scheduled to open at Dayton, Ohio's Victoria Theatre this fall.

"One of my favorite quotes about Rosie was that she was one of the best friends a song ever had," James said. "She understood lyrics and gave a voice to songs in a way that most other singers could not. She was a major influence on me, and I am honored to be paying tribute to her."

"Nancy James Sings Rosemary Clooney" will take place June 16 at 7:30 p.m. at the Carnegie Visual and Performing Arts Center, 1028 Scott Boulevard, Covington, Kentucky 41011. Individual tickets are $19; $16 for Carnegie members and Enjoy the Arts members. Tickets can be ordered at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or by calling (859) 957-1940.

Information about the Rosemary Clooney Museum is available at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Fri 03 Jun 2011, 15:39

Have some of her CDS, she did have a beautiful way of singing. Once saw Doris Day on a PBS special, I was so surprised, had only heard her sing all those songs from movies starring with Rock Hudson, but on special she sang a jazz number, made me want to run out a look for her CDS.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri 03 Jun 2011, 18:24

Love Doris! She has a newish album out...

Hollywood screen legend Doris Day is releasing her first studio album in nearly 20 years.
Featuring nine previously unreleased recordings made in 1985, My Heartdrops Sept. 5.
Among the unheard recordings (which were produced by Day's son Terry Melcher prior to his 2004 death): Cover versions of Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful" and the Beach Boys' "Disney Girls."
"I had to sing some modern songs because I had already done all the old ones," the singer, 87, said in a statement Wednesday.
The album also features three Day classics, including "My Buddy," which she belted out in the 1951 classic I'll See You In My Dreams. (She dedicates the song on her album to her late son.)
Day - who starred in 39 films opposite the likes of Clark Gable and Rock Hudson - was a prolific recording artist as well, racking up more than 20 Top 10 hits in the UK and UK, including "Que Sera," "Sera" and "Secret Love."
She retired more than 30 years ago to found the Doris Day Animal Foundation in 1978.
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Sat 04 Jun 2011, 00:08

Thanks Merlin, I'm writing this down so next time I'm out I'll take a look for it.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Sun 05 Jun 2011, 15:15

87, gosh, what will you guys be doing at 87 when G.C. is no longer among the living ? Basketball
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Sun 05 Jun 2011, 15:29

Since I'm older than George, dead!
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Sun 05 Jun 2011, 15:34

lol!
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sun 05 Jun 2011, 16:28

Nice to see Nick...although he looks like he's lost some weight to me....

The Rosemary Clooney House in Augusta KY officially dedicates Rosemary's corvette. Her husband, Dante DiPaolo, and daughter, Monsita Ferrer Botwick, share stories of the significance of this car in Rosemary's life. They're joined by Nick Clooney and other members of Rosemary's family, as well as Steve and Heather French Henry

Last edited by Katiedot on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 16:30; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added video)
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Sun 05 Jun 2011, 17:27

Thanks for the story with video, Nick does look thinner, this whole family looks comfortable miked and in front of a camera, no wonder George is such a good story-teller it's in his DNA.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sun 05 Jun 2011, 17:33

Nice to see Nina and Ada too...
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Sun 05 Jun 2011, 17:45

Thanks Merlin for this WONDERFUL video. Yes, it does look like Nick lost weight.

Do you know, is this a recent video?
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 05 Jun 2011, 18:26

Cindigirl, it says it was posted today (the 5th), so I think it might be real recent. I hope that Nick is not sickly.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Sun 05 Jun 2011, 18:28

Mel, I hope not too. NCk is so cool!
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 05 Jun 2011, 18:30

He has been laying low since his hospitalization, so I'm wondering if it really was more than exhaustion. My prayers to him and the family.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jun 2011, 21:52

Ditto, Melbert! My prayers are with them also!

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Sun 05 Jun 2011, 21:58

Now the main question: Who bought them the car ???
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 06 Jun 2011, 01:00

The way I heard it Atalante, Dante bought in for Rosemary and now has donated it to the museum. Is that your question?
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Mon 06 Jun 2011, 19:46

Well they were looking for money to buy that car and now Dante has donated it. Aha.
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Mon 06 Jun 2011, 19:53

So Dante bought the car for her museum?
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 06 Jun 2011, 19:59

No Lucy, he bought it FOR Rosemary years ago, and is now donating it to the museum. I think that he probably doesn't drive much himself anymore.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Mon 06 Jun 2011, 20:00

So the car wasn't Rosemary's choice in the first place ?
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 06 Jun 2011, 20:03

Don't know Atalante, they didn't ask me.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Mon 06 Jun 2011, 20:07

Well Rosemary gained a lot of weight and then buy her such a car, admit it, that is a bit weird no ???
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 06 Jun 2011, 20:50

deleted for sake of argument

Last edited by melbert on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 23:32; edited 1 time in total
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 06 Jun 2011, 22:10

I thought another person owned it after Rosemary because they were asking for donations to buy it for the house....
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Jun 2011, 14:20

Today my thoughts go out to Rosemary's family and friends. May she always be remembered for her wonderful voice and her contribution to our love of music!

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Fri 01 Jul 2011, 20:10

Well you do keep a close watch on the dates.

And they were looking for donations for another car, a thunderbird, you can see the car here on your right: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Very Happy 10 out of 10
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 13 Jul 2011, 07:25

Some pictures from 2002 from Augusta KY facebook including George, Nina, Nick and more importantly Spags!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Jul 2011, 13:16

Thanks Merlin!

Back to top Go down

Post by MM Wed 13 Jul 2011, 16:55

cindigirl wrote:
Thanks Merlin for this WONDERFUL video. Yes, it does look like Nick lost weight.

Do you know, is this a recent video?

When I attended the lecture at the University of Cincinnati on May 3, I did noticed that Nick had lost much weight when he ascended the podium. My first thought was, gee, I hope that he doesn't have health issues. But, he was in excellent spirits that afternoon and evening, and he showed a lot of stamina for someone who made an eight hour trip from Washington, DC and had been hospitalized for several days prior to that.

Well, we know where George gets his tenacity from!! Very Happy
MM
MM
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 13 Jul 2011, 17:53

Thanks for that info MM Very Happy
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 17 Jul 2011, 17:03

I haven't tried out this site so no idea how good or useful it is:

Rosemary Clooney - Original Studio Radio Transcriptions (2003)

Yesterday, 19:58Music | Published by: blackroseboy | Views: 49

Rosemary Clooney - Original Studio Radio Transcriptions (2003)
Release: 2003 | CBR 320 kbps | 41:48 | Size: 101 MB
Genre: Jazz, Vocal Jazz | Label: Swing Factory

Track List:

01. You Make Me Feel So Young
02. Don't Worry 'Bout Me
03. My Old Flame
04. As Long as I Live
05. Too Much Conversation
06. If This Isn't Love
07. Our Love Affair
08. This Can't Be Love
09. I'll Never Forget You
10. Shine
11. I'm Only Ambitious for You
12. All the Pretty Little Horses
13. Thrill Me
14. Love and Nuts and Noodles
15. But Not for Me
16. Manhattan

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 17 Jul 2011, 17:52

Thanks Katie. I'm going to check it out later.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 11 Feb 2012, 08:31

"Tenderly: The Rosemary Clooney Musical"

A new stage production will premier in Dayton, Ohio, on Feb. 21 that highlights the life and personal struggles of the late singer and Maysville native Rosemary Clooney.
"Tenderly: The Rosemary Clooney Musical" is the collaborative work of playwrights and composers Janet Vogt and Mark Friedman. The musical will run at the Victoria Theatre through March 4 and is produced by The Human Race Theatre Company of Dayton.
Janet and Mark said they began thinking of the concept of creating a production based on Clooney's life about five years ago, but it was three years ago they began to strongly think about moving the concept from paper to stage. It was at that time they connected with Kevin Moore, producing artistic director of the Human Race Theater Company and were able to get together for a table reading of the script. The feedback from Moore and the actors who read the script enabled the pair to tweak the script and in the summer of 2010, they presented the production during a Summer Workshop Series before live audiences.
"It was very successful, good feedback from the audience," Mark said.
With good reviews coming their way, they were approached in 2011 by the Victoria Theatre to bring "Tenderly" to the main stage as part of its Broadway Series.
The musical has only two actors: the part of Rosemary Clooney played by Tory Ross and actor Scott Stoney, who according to Janet and Mark, plays a variety of people who were in Rosemary's life at various times and who is the one Rosemary recounts her life story to.
"We don't want to give too much away" said Janet of Stoney's character portrayals, leaving a bit of mystery. "It's a challenging script and they are working very hard. We're really proud of the cast."
A synopsis of the play can be found on Victoria Theatre's website and includes the following opening paragraphs about the production.
"A new two-character musical about the life and career of actress and singer Rosemary Clooney."
"It is 1968 and Rosemary is a guest at Robert Kennedy's reception and speech after a victory in the California Presidential Primary. In a few tragic moments her dear friend RFK is assassinated and Rosemary soon finds herself in the midst of a nervous breakdown."
"Hospitalized in Los Angeles, Rosie and her therapist explore her life, career, and relationships as he takes on the character of all the other persons in Rosie's life: her mother, father, husband Jose Ferrer, Frank Sinatra, her sister Betty, Bing Crosby and others."
"We learn about her past, her triumphs, her challenges, and how she manages to rise above them all."
"Tenderly" is a tribute to a musical legend."
Mark and Janet said they read everything they could about Rosemary Clooney; the singer's two books, news articles and her music. They traveled to Maysville and Augusta on several occasions to meet with relatives and friends of Clooney, who were willing to share their stories of Rosemary and to see for themselves the town she grew up in and returned to after her career took off.
They even visited her gravesite and said it was "helpful to walk in her shadow there."
"I've loved Rosemary Clooney since I was a kid," said Mark, a native of Cincinnati. "I loved "White Christmas," I just thought she was tremendous. For me, it's a dream come true to write about a person I love."
The focus of the musical is Rosemary's life; the ups, downs and marriages, but Janet said the production wouldn't have done justice to Rosemary's life "if we didn't show the challenges of her life."
"She was vulnerable, fragile, strong, determined. When you see that on stage, how she met those challenges and came out on top ... her life, it was a life lesson," said Janet.
The duo has worked with the Clooney estate during creation of the piece and is hoping to have several family members present for opening night. They said they are to meet Nick Clooney for the first time Sunday.
The musical numbers in the show are those created by Rosemary's composers and lyricist, with the exception of one original piece created by Janet and Mark. Together, they selected songs "that outline her life, reflect that period of her."
Although the focus of the play may be the struggles of Rosemary's life, Janet and Mark also point out there is another overriding message that comes through about the person Rosemary Clooney was.
She was a star who admitted she had personal problems, at a time other stars (and ordinary people) didn't want the public to know of their person struggles.
"She made no bones about what she went through. She didn't want other people to be alone," said Janet.
"It was ultimately Rosemary who did it and did it at a time when no one was doing it. She worked at it, she came out on top ... she ended up with the man she really loved and he always carried a torch for her too," said Mark. "She was a triumph."
Janey Yates Vogt and Mark Friedman have been longstanding musical partners, performing together and collaborating on a variety of musical compositions and projects.
Janet is a graduate of the University of Cincinnati, College-Conservatory of Music, where she has served as a faculty member of the CCM Preparatory Piano Department and the CCM Alumni Board. She has sung under the direction of Leonard Bernstein and James Levine.
Mark has been a professional vocalist, actor, and musician for more than 20 years and has had numerous musical compositions published nationally and internationally. He also co-founded Cincinnati's first free Shakespeare Festival and was a founder of Peanut Butter Theatre of Cincinnati and Covington.
The Human Race Theatre Company is celebrating its 25 season in 2011-2012 of bringing live professional theatre to Dayton and southwestern Ohio, serving a population of nearly one million.
"Tenderly: The Rosemary Clooney Musical" is not recommended for children under 13 and is directed by Kevin Moore. Individual and group tickets sales are available by calling Victoria Theatre Association at 937-228-3630 or 888-228-3630 or by going online at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next