George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» The Good News
George Clooney in Esquire magazine ~ December 2013 Edition - Page 2 EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 18:19 by annemariew

» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
George Clooney in Esquire magazine ~ December 2013 Edition - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
George Clooney in Esquire magazine ~ December 2013 Edition - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
George Clooney in Esquire magazine ~ December 2013 Edition - Page 2 EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney in Esquire magazine ~ December 2013 Edition - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney in Esquire magazine ~ December 2013 Edition - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney in Esquire magazine ~ December 2013 Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney in Esquire magazine ~ December 2013 Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney in Esquire magazine ~ December 2013 Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney in Esquire magazine ~ December 2013 Edition

+21
ginga
Katiedot
playfuldeb
Maggy
LizzyNY
Catie
amaretti
party animal - not!
Atalante
Joanna
watching
Nicky80
Carla97
it's me
What Would He Say
isogotit
LornaDoone
Boshkash
silly girl
ktsue2002
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

George Clooney in Esquire magazine ~ December 2013 Edition - Page 2 Empty Re: George Clooney in Esquire magazine ~ December 2013 Edition

Post by Nicky80 Mon 11 Nov 2013, 22:14

Thumbs up!  Yep for sure he is
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

George Clooney in Esquire magazine ~ December 2013 Edition - Page 2 Empty Re: George Clooney in Esquire magazine ~ December 2013 Edition

Post by playfuldeb Mon 11 Nov 2013, 22:16

I have to agree with Atalante. Those are not his best photos. You would think he could have shaved. Stubble is not flattering on him.
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 11 Nov 2013, 22:51

handsome yes!!!
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Mon 11 Nov 2013, 23:07

Thanks for the article Nicky!

Love, love, love the photos!
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 11 Nov 2013, 23:20

I know this is the wrong place for this, but did anyone else see the Brittania Awards last night? I don't know what it was, but something about George seemed a little off, as if he hadn't prepared for his speech. Maybe he just didn't have time, but he didn't seem his usual confident self,IMHO.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 11 Nov 2013, 23:25

wrong thread
I know, anyway in the line or reporters he was great
IMO
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 11 Nov 2013, 23:26

Whoops! Just found the Brittania thread. Sorry. Will be more careful in future.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by ... Wed 13 Nov 2013, 10:38

Very candid interview, as mentioned.
Sort of a new direction in his publicity.

I think Tom Junod would have interviewed him in early September if it was just days after his uncle Dante DiPaolo's memorial service.

Last edited by Ocean on Wed 13 Nov 2013, 16:18; edited 1 time in total

Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by ... Wed 13 Nov 2013, 10:41

He is fifty-two years old. He is wearing a black hoodie zipped to the neck, blue jeans, and boots laced so assertively they squeak when he flexes his ankles. He has a long neck, upon which his long head, adorned by long ears, wobbles like a tulip. Everything is to scale with him. Many people have long eyelashes; he has lashes as long on the bottom as they are on the top. His eyes look like they’ve been caught by Venus flytraps. He is going gray, yes, but if you took a population sample of his hair, there is no doubt that any analysis would reveal that the numbers of black and gray hairs are evenly distributed and have achieved equipoise. He has recently showered, and a careful modicum of product lifts his hair off his forehead. He has surprisingly fine hands. He smells like soap.
Shocked
Adds comical element to keep it light-hearted?

Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 13 Nov 2013, 11:31

mah
we should read more of him
so to compare and understand

maybe it's his specific own style of writing...
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by ... Wed 13 Nov 2013, 11:38

Well, I find it entertaining. It certainly was an interesting article.

Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 14 Nov 2013, 11:53

I liked the article and I liked the pictures.

Not sure when the photos were taken, but sometimes these things can be done months in advance.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Thu 14 Nov 2013, 17:13

The pictures look like they had been taken by his pool at his house in Studio City.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 14 Nov 2013, 17:50

Has it got a lake too?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by ginga Fri 15 Nov 2013, 21:42

I really loved the headline on the cover "whatever happens America, we'll always have Clooney"cheers  . I thought it's great. that it captured the way I (and probably many others) feel - that no matter what happens in my life, It's comforting to know that this amazing man lives in our world and I can read about him, watch him (even if too far away from me...)

ginga
Shy poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Fri 15 Nov 2013, 22:36

Yes ginga very well said. Very Happy 
Carla97
Carla97
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Fri 15 Nov 2013, 22:49

ginga wrote:I really loved the headline on the cover "whatever happens America, we'll always have Clooney"cheers  . I thought it's great. that it captured the way I (and probably many others) feel

You can sing that Ginga .... if only Europe had a Clooney Clone .....Lucky Americans Wink 
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sat 16 Nov 2013, 01:52

Wonderful article thanks all.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 20 Nov 2013, 10:56

A bit more about this . . . don't think we've got it yet do we? Maybe this explains why the author was so interested in the dog/turkey story when Esquire had already printed the same story.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tom Junod on why celebrity profiles matter, even when they don't

Tom Junod’s dog died on Sept. 22.

This was a beloved family pet that the prolific magazine writer had had to put down, and it had taken something out of him.

But he was scheduled to fly to Los Angeles that night on assignment for Esquire. Figuring that there wasn’t much else to do at home, Junod got on the plane.

And so when he arrived at George Clooney’s Hollywood home, and Clooney told him the one about the time he rubbed himself down with turkey bacon to win over a rescue dog he hoped to adopt, Junod could be forgiven for being charmed. A couple of salty dogs talking about their dogs. Even later, when he was writing, and found out that this anecdote was a well-worn Clooney tale, the off-tackle sweep in the actor's magazine-interview playbook, Junod was still sufficiently attached to it to lead with it in the magazine’s December cover story as an example of, well, the star’s inborn need to charm.

“He has told this story before,” Junod wrote. “He has even told it to Esquire before.”

One wonders: Is there anything left to do with the magazine celebrity profile that hasn't been done? And especially these days, when what qualifies for full access to your celebrity story subject is increasingly slim, and, thanks to sales symbios, very little ever seems to be on the line for either the journalist or the subject. Does anyone, assigning editors included, have a right to hope that any writer at all can wring anything out of the form anymore?

Junod has some recent authority on the topic.

“It was kind of portrayed as, ‘OK you can come up with something about modern fame’ or whatever,” he said this week recalling editor David Granger’s idea that he spend a portion of the year interviewing three of the biggest male leads on the planet -- Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt and Matt Damon -- for consecutive cover stories. Clooney was an end of the year value-add.

“I definitely did it with some hesitation,” said the two-time National Magazine Award winner and regular nominee. “When I went out to see Leonardo Dicaprio, I had it in my head that ‘OK. Statement on modern fame. Statement on modern fame.’ And then you know, you walk into the hotel conference room and you wait for the guy to come and you have two hours to talk to him and you’re like, ‘Oh wait a second. This is a...this is a celebrity profile.”

There was a time in the late 1990s when Junod cranked this sort of thing out regularly. He is particulary proud of a piece he wrote on Tony Curtis, then 70 years old and profane as ever, for GQ in 1996. In a 2001 piece on Michael Stipe, meant to be his swan song in the genre, Junod gleefully manufactured whole scenes -- fictitously placing the R.E.M. singer on a five-hour limo ride to the Hoover Dam and habitually eating granulated sugar. Granger ran it with his blessing, and a winking dek that read, in part, "...it's almost as if you have to make half the story up." The editor defended the piece during the inevitable controversy, citing the magazine's need to "amuse and entertain our audience."

Junod returned to the well for a 2007 cover story on Angelina Jolie that included an extensive riff on the nature of fame post Sept. 11. Writing on Slate that year, Ron Rosenbaum asked if it was the worst celebrity profile ever written. "I don't think, in some puritanical Trowvian way, that there's anything wrong with people being interested in celebrities," Rosenbaum wrote, referring to the late New Yorker writer George T.S. Trow. "There's just something condescending in the way certain magazines think they can put one over on the reader with these transparently insincere intellectual rationales for caring about celebs."

Junod laughed when he recalled that episode.

So, having returned for a few more months on Olympus and writing a collection of pieces that run nearly 26,000 words in total, did he find that there is anything left to do with the form?

“I don’t even know,” he laughed.“I’ve just written four of them and I can’t even really answer that question.”

“I’ve done everything you can possibly do except sleep with them,” Junod said later. He noted the Stipe piece and a story on the Atlanta hip hop mogul Jermaine Dupri that Junod constructed entirely in rhyme.

So what is the reader getting out of it at this point?

“It does not feel like you’re in a particularly privileged position when you’re in it, but if you tell people about, it certainly sounds like a privileged position to them,” he said. “‘Oh I spent three hours at George Clooney’s house.’ That’s not something that people shrug off. So I think in general that you probably shouldn’t shrug it off either. I think that what people want from celebrity profiles is a feeling of what it’s like to be in the room with Leo, Brad, Matt or George. If George is being charming, they want to be charmed.”

Maybe just make way for George, in other words. Junod said as much responding to a follow-up email.

"...a celebrity profile, if it’s any good, can be *delightful," he wrote. "That’s because the celebrities, themselves, are sometimes delightful. I mean, the people who have been complimenting me for the George Clooney piece are not complimenting me because I broke new ground, or even news; they’re complimenting me because for a half hour they felt themselves to be in Clooney’s company, and enjoyed themselves. Journalism doesn’t provide a lot of occasion for enjoyment, much less delight. Celebrity profiles sometimes do. That’s not reason enough to take them seriously; but it’s reason enough to do them, or, in my case, to do four in a row."

Junod demurred when asked what his next assignment was after all this.

But, a little later, he sent a DM on Twitter. He had neglected to point out that he had another article in the Clooney issue that was not yet online.

“It's not about celebrity,” he wrote. “It's about cancer. It's co-written, and it's unlike anything I've done before.”
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Wed 20 Nov 2013, 20:17

Thanks that's interesting. Three hours with George in his house. What a lucky guy  Thumbs up!
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Wed 20 Nov 2013, 20:26

party animal - not! wrote:Has it got a lake too?

Ok so I missed the picture with the lake in the background.  Eyesight obviously not so good no more!  HA! But the interview was done at his home in the U.S.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Wed 20 Nov 2013, 20:38

My daughter bought the magazine for me yesterday. I am very sad about the picture of my Love, he looks so thin, not like on my monitor. I must start using my new computer more so I see things correctly.

I want to run after him with some good wholesome and healthy food. Just like maybe 10 lbs. Good Bless him.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sat 23 Nov 2013, 04:02

George Clooney Knows How To Give Us What We Want

By Liz Smith, Tribune Content AgencyLiz Smith
4:30 a.m. CST, November 20, 2013
"SHE WAS a flashy babe!"

That's what actress Ellen Barkin, once a neighbor of Alice Crimmins, said of the flame-haired mother of two, convicted of murdering her children back in the '60s. (We wrote about the infamous case, which was revived in TV dramatization last week.)
I received this interesting tidbit from reader Leo Marinello, who included an article in which Ms. Barkin expressed interest in portraying Mrs. Crimmins. Mr. Marinello reminds me that there was a TV movie about the case, starring the fabulous Tuesday Weld, but there had never been a feature film.

Referring to Barkin's remark about Alice, Mr. Marinello concluded: "While I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment that even in 2013 women are negatively judged because of what they wear and how they behave; it is not only men who are doing the judging. Maybe this will change someday but I have my doubts."

Well, I have no doubt I have some really smart readers with long memories.

CAROL CHANNING's people say that the announcement in the New York Times about Carol's one-night-only stint in Manhattan was "premature and inaccurate." The paperwork hasn't been completed, though Miss Channing is expected to sign on the dotted line momentarily.

Also, although Carol's January 20 appearance at Town Hall may coincide with the 50th anniversary of "Hello, Dolly," that is not the purpose of the event. But, if "Dolly" composer Jerry Herman is amenable, Carol would happily do something "Dolly-related."

So there. My goodness. I actually wrote about a real, live genuine legend. I can't promise there'll be no more items about Justin Bieber or the Kardashians, but telling about the phenomenon Carol Channing was like taking a brisk, cleansing shower.

P.S. Speaking of Kim Kardashian (I told you I couldn't promise!) I saw photos of her the other day and for the life of me, if I hadn't known I was reading a story about Kim, I never would have known it was her. She's blonde now, which does make an unflattering difference. (Not even Elizabeth Taylor looked good as a blonde.)

But Kim's face seems strangely and drastically altered in some way. The whole "Kardashian thing" is not my cup of celebrity, but I did always think Kim was quite a beauty. Odd -- and this transformation seemed to have happened so swiftly, too.

THE MAJORITY of the attention Esquire magazine's cover story on George Clooney has generated centers on a few semi-caustic remarks the star made about Russell Crowe and Leonardo DiCaprio. But there is much more to Tom Junod's profile of Clooney.

I was particularly taken with two sections of the piece. One was a physical description of Clooney that concluded: "Everything is to scale with him. Many people have long eyelashes; he has lashes as long on the bottom as on the top. His eyes look like they've been caught by Venus flytraps."

And Junod sums up, more accurately than I have ever read before, the essence of Clooney the star: "...a famous person for whom fame functions as a kind of conscience. He knows what audiences want from him, in movie theaters; what gawkers want from him, on the red carpet; what reporters want from him, in interviews -- and by and large he tries to give it to them. Even his lightheartedness derives from a sense of obligation; his casual approach to fame turns out to be one of the things he's most serious about. Being famous is not just what he knows how to do better than anyone else; it's arguably what he knows how to do better than anything else."

Two more things. Clooney hates Twitter. If I didn't love him already, I'd love him just for that. And, writer Junod sniffed out that Clooney smells of soap.

WOW, TAKE a look at those gazongas!" That's what somebody in my office exclaimed when Barbra Streisand's new CD, "Barbra: "Back to Brooklyn" arrived. And indeed there is Miss Streisand on the cover, looking quite fresh, wearing a low-cut red gown, assets on display. And why not? (Film fans will recall her erupting sexily out of her costumes in such films as "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever" and "The Owl and the Pussycat.")

This CD is a live recording of Streisand's triumphant concerts in Brooklyn last October. (Barbra was in magnificent form -- and I mean her voice! -- the night I saw her. And the audience was in a frenzy of adoration.) This recording includes nine songs that Barbra had never sung in concert before the Brooklyn stint. And, most touchingly, there is her duet on "How Deep is the Ocean" with son Jason Gould. Jason inherited more than a bit of his mom's legendary pipes. I wonder that he hasn't done more with this talent?

"Back to Brooklyn" is set for CD/DVD release Monday, Nov. 25. It will air on PBS stations on Friday, Nov. 29.

Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Mon 02 Dec 2013, 02:10

theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 02 Dec 2013, 11:21

great pics at

it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Mon 02 Dec 2013, 13:02

Thanks I love the pics. And I love the interview at the end. It is already old but nice to see it again in different videos :-) (one video after another)
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 02 Dec 2013, 13:46

I didn't see the prank video! is was unavailable at the time I saw it first....

what a Beaten jerk!!!

Richard, my dear Give Flowers2 
if you need help to answer warning we are ready Twisted Evil
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Mon 02 Dec 2013, 21:11

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 

You are funny. 

It was funny how he told the story. I was kind of irritated how they cut this interview in so many videos. Nice to watch it.
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 02 Dec 2013, 23:06

yes
I also didn't like all the cuts
and on you tube you have only one of the cuts
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Mon 02 Dec 2013, 23:25

Ooh I just for first time saw Harry vid.....

I could, without any doubt, listen to George tell stories and yarns alllllllll night long, without saying a word...just smiling. Very Happy 
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 02 Dec 2013, 23:33

in fact I was looking at him
not really listening to all he said Embarassed 
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Tue 03 Dec 2013, 00:53

he talked?
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Tue 03 Dec 2013, 02:00

you lot, too funny
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:36

The second story - I think - is from the UK issue of Esquire, so I'll make that a separate thread to avoid confusion.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:50

very good !! Thumbs up! 
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sun 22 Dec 2013, 02:39

Nicky80 wrote:I love the interview. It was done very nice.

Don't know what I like most...when he talkes about intruders dressing up as trees it was funny or when the reporter wrote about his long eye lashes or that George smells like Soap LOL

It is mentioned that the interview was done one day after the memorial service from his uncle (Rosemary's husband) Didn't he die in July? Remember we head a thread about that. So he was at his side when he died. I thought he died alone in a hospitz. Interesting.

Interesteing that he said he didn't love his parents for a period of time. I guess we all had a time like that Wink 

What I don't understand is this:

[b]He is the president of a club of famous people he doesn’t consider assholes, and he convenes it every time he makes a movie. He has made movies with Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Bill Murray, John Goodman, Don Cheadle, Julia Roberts, and Cate Blanchett. He has never been in a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio or Russell Crowe.[/b]

Does he wanted to say Russel and Leo are assholes????

Yeah I got the same impression Ocean that George cared about that Leonardo has the wrong friends.

Really nice Interview to read.

Hi Nicky I don't know if you ever looked it up or someone answered your question, but Dante died September 3, 2013 according to his IMDB page.

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 22 Dec 2013, 09:37

Thanks Lorna
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Tue 04 Mar 2014, 02:25

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 04 Mar 2014, 02:54

Yay! Thanks so much for the scans!! I still love to read an article the way it was laid out, with all the pictures and stuff. This is great!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2