George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
Every Woman Wants a Matt Kowalski EmptyYesterday at 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Every Woman Wants a Matt Kowalski EmptyYesterday at 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Every Woman Wants a Matt Kowalski EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Every Woman Wants a Matt Kowalski EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Every Woman Wants a Matt Kowalski EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Every Woman Wants a Matt Kowalski EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Every Woman Wants a Matt Kowalski EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Every Woman Wants a Matt Kowalski EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Every Woman Wants a Matt Kowalski EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Every Woman Wants a Matt Kowalski

+5
George Fan
it's me
theminis
Mazy
9 posters

Go down

Every Woman Wants a Matt Kowalski Empty Every Woman Wants a Matt Kowalski

Post by Mazy Wed 16 Oct 2013, 07:13

Every woman wants a Matt Kowalski

Posted on October 16, 2013 | Leave a comment
I saw Gravity in IMAX tonight.

It was incredible.

I love space/astronomy and being able to feel as if I were floating around in space with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney (*swoon*) was amazing.

Although there wasn’t much room for a complex storyline, the movie kept me on the edge of my seat. The graphics were incredibly beautiful and the actors also did a great job.

Especially George Clooney, who played Matt Kowalski.

He probably only had about half an hour of screen time but he somehow made every woman in the theatre swoon over his character.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NO MIKE! Don’t let go!

In every movie, there’s always that dream guy who every woman ends up wanting. Matt Kowalski was that confident, funny, positive, intelligent, altruistic hottie who grabbed the attention of all the ladies in the room. Clooney played him perfectly.

*Spoiler alert*: When Matt had to let go of Ryan, and Ryan tried to stop him,  I’m pretty sure every woman in the theatre wanted to bawl her eyes out.

Do you know what also kept me on the edge of my seat? The people sitting behind me. Let’s take a minute to discuss movie theatre etiquette, ladies and gentlemen.

Rules of the Theatre:

- Do not kick my seat.

- Do not talk. I didn’t pay $12 bucks to hear your voice. I came here for George, okay?

- Do not kick my seat.

- Don’t steal someone else’s IMAX seats. If they come late, they’re going to cause a fuss because you’re sitting in the seats that they paid for.

- Oh and did I mention? DO NOT KICK MY SEAT.

I turned around once in my seat to ask the couple behind me to stop kicking.
They didn’t.

Towards the end of the movie, I basically stood up in front of them and said, “I realize it’s tight back there, but you need to kicking my seat.” Really loudly. In an attempt to embarrass them. They were unfazed.

At the end of the movie, I got up while the credits were rolling and stood in their way and glared at them.

That was a little unnecessary of me, but I wanted to drive home my point that seat-kicking is evil.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Every Woman Wants a Matt Kowalski Empty Re: Every Woman Wants a Matt Kowalski

Post by theminis Wed 16 Oct 2013, 08:09

Yep Rules - the constant chatting and fidgeting and seat kicking does my head in at times - so if my kids are with me I just ask them to turn around and face the people behind us and have a staring competition, freaks the hell out of some people and I then get to watch the movie in peace and quiet. HA
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 16 Oct 2013, 09:50

I agree
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Wed 16 Oct 2013, 20:22

theminis wrote:Yep Rules - the constant chatting and fidgeting and seat kicking does my head in at times - so if my kids are with me I just ask them to turn around and face the people behind us and have a staring competition, freaks the hell out of some people and I then get to watch the movie in peace and quiet.   HA
TheMinis you are a genius.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Wed 16 Oct 2013, 21:30

Its funny watching the people squirm under the relentless stare from my kids - it works too they usually shush right up.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by ... Wed 16 Oct 2013, 21:53

*Spoiler alert*: When Matt had to let go of Ryan, and Ryan tried to stop him,  I’m pretty sure every woman in the theatre wanted to bawl her eyes out.
I haven't seen Gravity yet but this comment reminded me of how many people were moved when Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio's character) let go (sacrificed himself) for Rose (Kate Winslet) in Titanic.
The appeal & success of that film was not only because of the magnitude of visual imagery & the storyline, but the emotional depth of those two.

Perhaps Gravity touches millions of people like that too.
Sensory stimulation.

85% of viewers are choosing to see this in 3D.

Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by George Fan Wed 16 Oct 2013, 23:01

This was such a Sandra Bullock movie you could have easily WRITTEN OUT the Matt Kowalski and the Indian guy character astronauts and it wouldn't have made much difference. George just playing his silly solid stuck on himself self.

George Fan
Drinking George Clooney under the table

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Thu 17 Oct 2013, 00:52

@ George Fan.... Really really?
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by George Fan Thu 17 Oct 2013, 01:19

Absolutely. I don't know who wrote the script for Gravity, but the whole movie could have been done with just a LOST untethered Sandra Bullock in it. The detractors of the movie said it was too simple a storyline too, the theme of You Can Make It.

It is doing well because of outer space and the spacecraft. The story really isn't much.

George Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 17 Oct 2013, 01:32

George Fan - Yes, Sandy Bullock does carry the film - and she does a great job - but if they had cut George's supporting role the movie would have lasted about 5 minutes because her character wouldn't have had a clue how to survive! He played his part perfectly, being exactly the kind of person Sandy's character needed to get her through everything she had to face. - I think they were both great!

Some fan!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by George Fan Thu 17 Oct 2013, 01:43

It was written goofy too. George's character telling a medical doctor about oxygen. I am a critical thinker fan about his roles he picks and on the tail end of his acting career he hasn't picked roles that stretch him like Johnny Depp. It is like the director went down to the local bar and said hey George be yourself, talk about drinking, be charming and funny. He basically was just being himself. A far cry from Perfect Storm. Houston Control could have played George on the radio calming down astronaut Sandra Bullock and the movie budget could have saved a bundle.

George Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Thu 17 Oct 2013, 02:46

George Fan wrote:It was written goofy too. George's character telling a medical doctor about oxygen. I am a critical thinker fan about his roles he picks and on the tail end of his acting career he hasn't picked roles that stretch him like Johnny Depp. It is like the director went down to the local bar and said hey George be yourself, talk about drinking, be charming and funny. He basically was just being himself. A far cry from Perfect Storm. Houston Control could have played George on the radio calming down astronaut Sandra Bullock and the movie budget could have saved a bundle.
The movie was written by the director Curon and his son. So I think that they would know how the movie should flow. It was written as a story of survival more than anything else. How does George act when he is acting himself? I am curious. Thankfully the majority of the people have given it a high approval rating. I know that they all have mine.

Like that saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." We all like different things.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by George Fan Thu 17 Oct 2013, 02:56

I was shocked by the minority that said they were bored with the just the story of survival prior to going seeing it and I would give it a B+. I just thought the George character was totally a spare part and not necessary. The meteor fragments, the ISS, the Earth, the Soyuz, the Chinese ship, the re-entry made the movie. They also couldn't make Sandra's hair float properly in weightlessness. I thought the 3D was limited effect with things floating around. It was entertainment and I did recommend it over Captain Phillips which was a better story, much better acted, but intense the whole movie.

George being himself is self deprecating, tells jokes, thinks he is a ladies man, and is proud of drinking alot, and also can't commit to women. Also tells a lot of past stories. Kowalski.

George Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by jluna2011 Thu 17 Oct 2013, 04:24

Well, I enjoyed the film! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I enjoyed both Sandra and George. And I must admit, I cried when George let go (and when he returned and left AGAIN). I didn't expect to leave the theater all teary-eyed!
-Jluna2011, film critic Cool
jluna2011
jluna2011
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 17 Oct 2013, 05:38

please
better alert about SPOILERS

thanks!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by ... Thu 17 Oct 2013, 08:01

it's me wrote:please
better alert about SPOILERS

thanks!
Spoiler warning in opening link. I was just quoting from it.  Embarassed 
With all the articles I've read till now, I have clued it on a lot of the plot.
I want the experience in 3D to feel a story of survival in space.

Kowalski's role is pivotal to the plot.  He's the guiding influence to give hope, from what I've surmised from all reviews. She wouldn't have made it without him.

Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:41

ok, but better remind it
if you are going to quote something sensible

thanks
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by phys major Thu 17 Oct 2013, 14:58

Mazy wrote:Every woman wants a Matt Kowalski

Posted on October 16, 2013 | Leave a comment
I saw Gravity in IMAX tonight.

Especially George Clooney, who played Matt Kowalski.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NO MIKE! Don’t let go!
Why does it say No Mike! don't let go! when his name was Matt?
phys major
phys major
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Thu 17 Oct 2013, 19:28

I assumed it was a typo on the part of the writer. Otherwise I don't know.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 17 Oct 2013, 20:54

Being almost a total Luddite, I haven't yet figured out how to post articles from other sites. However, there's an article on Yahoo Shine.htm titled "The Surprising Importance of George Clooney's Role in "Gravity".

I thought George Fan might be interested.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Thu 17 Oct 2013, 21:04

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Some of the most powerful - and widely popular movie crazes - in recent years have pointed to the fact we're all feeling a bit existential lately. Movies like Wall-E, Avatar, Earth, Food, Inc., the list could go on and on - all deal in some way with why we're seemingly out to destroy ourselves and our planet. We seem to want movies to force us to look inward. What is the meaning of life? Why are we here? Why are we humans so morally bankrupt? How did we become so profoundly unappealing as a species? How can we change?

The latest in this trend, Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity, is similarly profound, and a splendid visual creation, but this time offers a new spin on the transcendental journey. It's a look at the meaning of life that speaks directly to parents.

Fittingly, the movie revolves around a man and a woman. They are not parents together, not a couple, but represent a sort of perfect manifestation of the ideas of "man" and "woman."

"She," is Ryan Stone, a bio-medical engineer (Sandra Bullock) and "he" is a veteran astronaut, Matt Kowalski (George Clooney) who is there to guide her mission. When the mission is thrown into disaster and matters of life and death become very real suddenly, we come to know that Stone has nobody to return to down on planet Earth. Back on Earth, in fact, she lost the only thing that truly mattered to her - her daughter. The most heart-wrenching moments that follow are not about whether she'll get back to Earth, but if she'll realize that her life truly has no meaning and that she'll give up trying to survive. The journey she goes on is tremendous - literally traversing thousands of miles and spiritually making peace with the death of her daughter. She does choose life, and in the end is thrust back down to earth to crawl out of water onto land and symbolically be born again as a parent, and a childless adult.

The role that George Clooney plays and the way in which he embodies it is great on many levels. He, as Kowalski, keeps Stone on course, keeps her safe, gives her direction. He brings her to safety more than once before selflessly disengaging his tether from her and floating away to eternity and his death - so that she might live. Maybe Kowalski is a real man, maybe he is meant to be the voice of God personified. What's for certain is Clooney is a genuine Clark Gable, a John Wayne, a Jimmy Stewart for our day. He is not only a perfect hero: handsome, charming, good under pressure, witty, profound, selfless - he is a kind of man we rarely see portrayed in movies now: Uncomplicated, kind, spunky. He is at the enlightened end of his own personal journey and is fully capable of being an aid to those around him. He is a hero in the old fashioned sense - a fully whole man, confident, who selflessly tries to save his fellow shipmates, including a modern, intensely capable, Doctor-damsel in distress. It's refreshing to see a cowboy of this ilk on the contemporary screen - an untormented, pure, singularly good person.

Whether the movie is scientifically realistic has been debated by real life astronauts in the media since its release, and while that's an interesting point of curiosity, the movie is so perfect a parable that it seems quite irrelevant whether the story could or would happen in "real life." Gravity was called the "best space film ever" by Avatar and Titanic creator James Cameron - high praise indeed. It is a great space film, but it's also a visual poem, and one should not get too blinded by the science.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 17 Oct 2013, 22:20

Thanks Theminis! One of these days I'll learn how to work this thing like a grown-up (or maybe like a kid!) and I won't have to depend on smart people like you. Thanks again for posting the article.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down