George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
George Clooney features heavily in Oscars 2014 predictions: Monuments Men and Gravity EmptyToday at 01:05 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
George Clooney features heavily in Oscars 2014 predictions: Monuments Men and Gravity EmptyToday at 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney features heavily in Oscars 2014 predictions: Monuments Men and Gravity EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney features heavily in Oscars 2014 predictions: Monuments Men and Gravity EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney features heavily in Oscars 2014 predictions: Monuments Men and Gravity EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney features heavily in Oscars 2014 predictions: Monuments Men and Gravity EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney features heavily in Oscars 2014 predictions: Monuments Men and Gravity EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney features heavily in Oscars 2014 predictions: Monuments Men and Gravity EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney features heavily in Oscars 2014 predictions: Monuments Men and Gravity EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney features heavily in Oscars 2014 predictions: Monuments Men and Gravity

+2
Joanna
Katiedot
6 posters

Go down

George Clooney features heavily in Oscars 2014 predictions: Monuments Men and Gravity Empty George Clooney features heavily in Oscars 2014 predictions: Monuments Men and Gravity

Post by Katiedot Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:31

So, if these chaps are right, George could be up for Oscars as best film twice (once as actor, once as director) and best director. Fingers crossed!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Premature Predictions: The 2014 Best Director Nominees

FEATURES BY OLIVER LYTTELTON

MARCH 1, 2013

In recent years, trying to predict the Oscar nominees in the Best Director category has been especially tricky. In the past, you could just translate over your Best Picture nominees, maybe swap one out for a better-known or showier filmmaker, and you were relatively likely to be correct. But ever since the Academy made the switch to having more than five nominees in the top category it's become more unpredictable, especially if you're trying to make your predictions a year in advance.

We've never done a long-range pick of the potential directing nominees before, but rest assured that if we'd done such a thing twelve months ago, we would not have suggested that Michael Haneke would make it in. But having already picked out Best Picture, Actor, Actress and the Supporting categories, we wanted to close out our week of 2014 Oscar long-distance predictions with a challenge, so you'll find our guesses below. You can find out if we're right early in 2014, and in the meantime make your own predictions in the comments section. Our Oscar coverage is going into hibernation for a little while (they might resurface briefly at Cannes, but that'll be it otherwise), but look for it to pick up towards the end of the summer, by which time many of our early questions will have been answered.

Alfonso Cuaron - "Gravity"
While adored by geeks and cinephiles, Alfonso Cuaron isn't necessarily a name that rings many bells with the Academy; his last three films were a raucous coming-of-age sex comedy ("Y Tu Mama Tambien"), a "Harry Potter" film, and an apocalyptic sci-fi ("Children Of Men"), none of which is exactly typical Academy material. But the latter made a fair Academy impact despite being undervalued by many, earning three nominations including a screenplay nod shared by Cuaron himself. And if he ever breaks through further, a showy space picture starring Academy darlings Sandra Bullock and George Clooney would seem to be a good bet. If rumors are to be believed, it raises Cuaron's long, impressive takes from "Children Of Men" to a whole new level, with the opening shot said to last as long as twenty minutes, so it'll be a showcase for him as much as for Bullock, and it's the kind of 3D extravaganza that just won Ang Lee the Oscar. Now, the film could end up on a knife-edge; maybe seen by some as too commercial, and by others as too arty. But if Cuaron can get the balance right and the film works, this could well be a good bet.

George Clooney - "The Monuments Men"
If there's one thing we've learned over the last decade, it's that the Academy are head-over-heels in love with George Clooney. The multi-hyphenate has eight nominations over the past seven years, and when he didn't actually appear on-screen in a film, he STILL managed to win Best Picture, as a producer on "Argo." So with three films expected to be in the heart of the awards season -- he's also in "Gravity," and is a producer on "August: Osage County" -- you'd be a fool not to expect him to be in play for his fifth effort as director, "The Monuments Men." The film has a certain amount of bona fides: an all-star cast, a WWII backdrop, the kind of quirky true story that saw "Argo" have such success. But there's a question of tone at play. If it's closer to an "Ocean's Eleven"-style caper (as cast-members like John Goodman, Jean Dujardin and Bill Murray might suggest), it's probably not going to be a player. If it's a more serious affair (as the presence of Daniel Craig and Cate Blanchett, and a late-December release would suggest), then Clooney could be more of a competitor than we think. With the race looking tight at this stage, we're leaning towards him missing the cut, but unless it's a "Leatherheads"-style misfire, he'll certainly be snapping at the heels of the competition.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

George Clooney features heavily in Oscars 2014 predictions: Monuments Men and Gravity Empty Re: George Clooney features heavily in Oscars 2014 predictions: Monuments Men and Gravity

Post by Joanna Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:35

That's amazing to me...the film's not even made yet, but it's being discussed and analysed already ! Lol
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney features heavily in Oscars 2014 predictions: Monuments Men and Gravity Empty Re: George Clooney features heavily in Oscars 2014 predictions: Monuments Men and Gravity

Post by party animal - not! Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:46

The build-up starts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My hunch is there are more names to come. Cameos etc,,,,(that's why I wondered about C Tatum) but to be honest when you've got Craig, Bonneville, Damon, Blanchett, Dujardin - oh, and someone called George Clooney!?? - you must

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:48

....have high expectations everywhere. Pressure, pressure. and probably fun, fun!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:48

Yup. I think it's a nice topical editorial story with a twist that film publications run when the Oscars are on.

A cynical side of me also whispers that this is a great way to get an Oscars campaign under way. After all, how do you convince all the members of the Academy which films to nominate? They're going to pay attention to the films with the buzz about them and what better way to create a buzz than have a long-time 'Oscar potential' reputation slapped on?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:52

Couldn't agree more, Katie. He's picking up tips from Harvey!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:54

Very sorry. I forgot John Goodman and Bill Murray! Just a few names......

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by macs Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:55

They love early predictions, don't say ? Glad he's talked about for more Oscars but in the mean time I hope they don't put overexpectations on MM to have then people judge it as underperforming, no matter how it goes... (I thought it was a little the case with his latest directing unfortunatly)
Really worried about Gravity : it's SciFi, a very particular gender (that does not necessarily help doing well for academy awards), + with all the delay this year ... question mark !
Surprised they don't mention August OC here ? Everywhere I've read they expect it for the next Oscars too (at least for acting)... Is George one of the 3 main producers ? Then he'll get the credit for this one too
; )
Did you notice, George is quite used to having a 2-films campaign (GNGL + Syriana ; Descendants and Ides...) ; next year he could break a new record and have 3
macs
macs
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 02 Mar 2013, 12:07

Wow three ! Good thinking macs.

I always worry about too much hype too soon though !
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by madsky Sat 02 Mar 2013, 12:13

I too am worried about Gravity, but even though it is Sci-Fi sort of it is more a character piece as they are stranded in space- it mostly deals with that. Could be amazing or stink, don't think there will be a middle ground on this one.

With MM and that cast they will be talking Oscar for a while. Different than Harvey's approach he generally produces quiet little films almost indie-like and then blows the campaign out after release big time. Seriously no one does that better than him, even George.

When you have Meryl you are almost always considered an Oscar worthy picture every time. I loved how at the Oscars when she gave the award to DDL you didn't even see her open the envelope on screen, she is such as classy and always dramatic actress.

madsky
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by macs Sat 02 Mar 2013, 12:15

Katiedot wrote:Yup. I think it's a nice topical editorial story with a twist that film publications run when the Oscars are on.

A cynical side of me also whispers that this is a great way to get an Oscars campaign under way. After all, how do you convince all the members of the Academy which films to nominate? They're going to pay attention to the films with the buzz about them and what better way to create a buzz than have a long-time 'Oscar potential' reputation slapped on?

; ) A cynical side of me heard that the studios take out their oscar baits for the fall... and we'll have George in october and december if I remember correctly ?

party animal - not! wrote:Couldn't agree more, Katie. He's picking up tips from Harvey!

Isn't Harvey linked to August : OC ? I thought he was... so it's all coming together !
macs
macs
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Sat 02 Mar 2013, 13:07

I agree with Joanna --- The Monuments Men hasn't even been made yet. I wonder if he feels pressure. He has to think about it. It is true too that he needs to strike the right tone in the film. As for Gravity I am not sure he will be up for anything. His role is small. It should be interesting Best Picture wise if August and MM are both nominated.

August has the best chance at this point. Funny it is like Meryl and DDL keep swapping years.....

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down