George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
George has contracted Malaria in Sudan EmptyYesterday at 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
George has contracted Malaria in Sudan EmptyYesterday at 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
George has contracted Malaria in Sudan EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George has contracted Malaria in Sudan EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George has contracted Malaria in Sudan EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George has contracted Malaria in Sudan EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George has contracted Malaria in Sudan EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George has contracted Malaria in Sudan EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George has contracted Malaria in Sudan EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George has contracted Malaria in Sudan

+6
emeraldcity
it's me
Casey
PigLove
sisieq
laetval
10 posters

Go down

George has contracted Malaria in Sudan Empty George has contracted Malaria in Sudan

Post by laetval Thu 20 Jan 2011, 19:50

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Actor and philanthropist George Clooney has contracted malaria, according to CNN host Piers Morgan. The new host of 'Piers Morgan Tonight' tweeted the following:

BREAKING NEWS: George Clooney has contracted malaria following recent trip to Sudan. Reveals news on @PiersTonight tomorrow 9PM ET.

Morgan then tweeted: "More Clooney - it's his 2nd bout of malaria. Taking medication but feeling rough."

Clooney was in Sudan in December to work with Google and the UN to work on installing security to help prevent a new civil war in the troubled country.

"We want to let potential perpetrators of genocide and other war crimes know that we're watching, the world is watching," Clooney said in a statement at the time. "War criminals thrive in the dark. It's a lot harder to commit mass atrocities in the glare of the media spotlight."

Earlier in December, Clooney wrote for the Huffington Post about the troubled country and his efforts to stop impending violence.

UPDATE :George's rep tells X17online that the actor is "completely over the malaria he contracted while in the Sudan during the first week in January," adding that his appearance on Piers Morgan was taped on January 13. According to Clooney, "This illustrates how with proper mediation, the most lethal condition in Africa, can be reduced to bad ten days instead of a death sentence."

George Clooney contracted malaria while he was in Sudan during the vote taking place there, he told Piers Morgan during an interview scheduled to air Friday.

Clooney was in Sudan working on a his "Enough" project with Google and the United Nations to work on installing security to cover the historic election. Clooney was working with others on setting up a semi-covert satellite photography project to record any fallout from the vote. The "Enough" project's goal is to end genocide.

"The truth of the matter is we are hoping it is one of many tools to continue to apply pressure, at the very least, to gather evidence that could be used at the Hague later if there are - if there are infringements or rules broken ... if anyone crosses across the border north or south," Clooney told Morgan.

It was during his work there in Sudan recently, that he contracted malaria.

"I guess the mosquito in Juba looked at me and thought I was the bar," Clooney quipped.

While discussing the matter in a fairly jovial manner, Clooney says it was the second time he had gotten malaria.

"You don't think President Bashir has - has detached a detail of sickly, vengeful mosquitoes to target you whenever you arrive?" Morgan joked.

"Yeah," Clooney responded. "I think so."
laetval
laetval
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

George has contracted Malaria in Sudan Empty Re: George has contracted Malaria in Sudan

Post by sisieq Thu 20 Jan 2011, 20:09

I'm glad Stan jumped on that right away, however, most gossip sites may not pickup the Stan quotes. Piers likes to sensationalize doesn't he!!! Rolling Eyes

sisieq
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

George has contracted Malaria in Sudan Empty Re: George has contracted Malaria in Sudan

Post by PigLove Thu 20 Jan 2011, 20:47

This is why the British invented the Gin & Tonic. I'm surprised G didn't inoculate himself that way. Wink
PigLove
PigLove
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Thu 20 Jan 2011, 20:57

He looked completely fine in his MSNBC interview yesterday, so I think he's fully recovered.

Casey
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 20 Jan 2011, 21:28

malaria is forever
I guess
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Thu 20 Jan 2011, 21:39

it's me wrote:malaria is forever
I guess

I thought so, too, but I THINK someone found/posted info about it on the CU Forum and if I remember correctly, there are different types. Question Question

Anyone know for sure?

sisieq

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 20 Jan 2011, 21:45

right
just re-read the wiki page
but we don't know what kind is his kind
so....
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 20 Jan 2011, 21:48

but I already read he got malaria
prior to this trip
or not?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by emeraldcity Thu 20 Jan 2011, 22:20

@Me, George first caught malaria in 2006 on his first trip there

I wonder if George was taking his Malaria tablets this time, the first time he contracted it he stopped taking the medication because it made him feel sick 10 out of 10

Now having said that what is the time line here?
If he contracted it in January when he was last there from the 7th to the 11th (?) as Piers and Stan seem to imply and the bug usually takes from 7 to 21 days to surface after the bite (4days in some rare cases) how was he fit enough to do the interview with Piers on the 13th. Malaria isn’t like a cold where you can put on a good show and muddle through an interview. Doesn't seem logical, unless the symptoms appeared after he did the interview and Betty has been looking after him. Maybe thats the excuse she'll use for not being at the San Remo rehersals when she was supposed to be.

By the way Stan stay away from the medical diagnosis once the bug is in your system it stays there for months even years and can flare up again at anytime so he is not completely over it. This sounds like PR spin for the insurance company covering The Ides of March shoot (as if they wouldn't know about the epidemiology of malaria).

Poor George, directing a new movie and the real possibility of a malaria relapse hanging over his head,all the extra stress surely won't help.

emeraldcity
emeraldcity
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Thu 20 Jan 2011, 22:30

emeraldcity wrote:Now having said that what is the time line here?
If he contracted it in January when he was last there from the 7th to the 11th (?) as Piers and Stan seem to imply and the bug usually takes from 7 to 21 days to surface after the bite (4days in some rare cases) how was he fit enough to do the interview with Piers on the 13th. Malaria isn’t like a cold where you can put on a good show and muddle through an interview.

Unless it was really his trip prior to the year-end hollidays and that's why we didn't see much of him in Cabo???

By the way Stan stay away from the medical diagnosis once the bug is in your system it stays there for months even years and can flare up again at anytime so he is not completely over it.
Thought that could be the case. Thanks for the updates. If I misplaced the place of prior info and it may have come from reading one of your posts once - thanks for the info!

This sounds like PR spin for the insurance company covering The Ides of March shoot (as if they wouldn't know about the epidemiology of malaria).
LOL, was thinking that, too. But, then why would George make it publically known???

sisieq

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 20 Jan 2011, 23:03

he stopped taking the medication because it made him feel sick

asino
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by emeraldcity Thu 20 Jan 2011, 23:38

@Sisieq, it is a bit odd. I was thinking he may have caught it when he was there in December but Stan says it was on the January trip so the time line is just really out of wack if that is the case. Its usually 10 to 14 days of hot and cold sweats, fever and severe tremors, a significant lose of weight and several weeks of rest to get back to reasonable health. Last time he had it he said he lost around 30lb in weight.

Just going by these few media items I don’t think it was George who made it public. Piers seem to be the one who let the cat out of the bag in order to gain attention for his show and Stan had to dampen down the ‘George is seriously ill’ headlines that were bound to follow. No one heard about his first attack of malaria until many months after it happened, I think he only told the story then because he had lost so much weight and the media/gossip sites were starting up with wild tales of aids or hepatitis.

Hopefully George was taking his malaria pills and its not his own fault this time , if he contracted a strain of malaria that is resistant to the regular medication the timing is even more odd as it usually takes longer than 3weeks for the symptoms to appear if you are already taking malaria tablets.

So if he contracted it on say the 7th of January (probably a few days later) the symptoms would have appeared around the 12th of January at the earliest and then he said he had 10days of feeling like hell while on the treatments and he would need maybe another week of complete rest to recover as it totally drains your energy and stamina and he reportedly flew to Detroit on the 18th and did a morning interview on the 19th just 7days after the symptoms would have appeared and looked fine?

Something is not quite right here.
emeraldcity
emeraldcity
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by emeraldcity Fri 21 Jan 2011, 00:41

Hmmm...I've just watched part of the Piers' interview, Piers did mention it first in the interview and George said yes he was just recoving from it, so if this was taped on the 13th (2days after he returned from Sudan) George must have contracted it on his previous trip not the first week of January as Stan says. Maybe Stan needs to retire if he can't get such a simple fact straight.

So George had just recovered from Malaria and he goes right back to the Sudan?
emeraldcity
emeraldcity
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Fri 21 Jan 2011, 01:43

There's a clip from the interview here where he's talking about it. It sounds like it may have been a mild case?

Casey

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Fri 21 Jan 2011, 01:47

The comments at Celebitchy (from Casey’s above link) are all nice and fuzzy praising George for his humanitarian work in the Sudan so I thought I would post a bit of snark to balance it out. Posted at Celebitchy:

“So George had had a couple of bouts with malaria and survived. No virus is going to take him down. Please! Can you imagine how many bouts of different STD’s this man has had over the years with the number of skanks, hookers and druggies he has bedded? I bet when the mosquito bit him to give him malaria, the mosquito got VD in return.”
watching
watching
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Fri 21 Jan 2011, 02:02

LOL:

Casey

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Fri 21 Jan 2011, 02:03

Oh, PS, why did George bother telling Piers about this case of malaria at all? Why bring it up?

Casey

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 21 Jan 2011, 02:49

I thought he was stupid for getting it the first time and really dumb for getting it again.

There's more than one type of anti-malarial tablet and if one makes him ill then he should be trying the others. There are also plenty of ways of not getting bitten by mosquitoes which include using repellant, sleeping under a net and wearing an anti-mosquito band.

I've spent the past 6 years living in countries with dengue fever and chikungunya virus (though thankfully not malaria) and it's perfectly possible to minimise mosquito bites. I average about one or two bites a month and they're always from when I didn't take care. A week in Sudan should be perfectly feasible.

Wondering if malaria was what he really had. Would you really still go on holiday if you're sick with malaria?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Fri 21 Jan 2011, 02:52

IMO – Now that the vote has passed, George talking about getting malaria and beating it twice makes the story about George. He is getting in some positive press points prior to going to Detroit and Cinnanciti where they will be fewer pap opportunities for him. His next film isn’t scheduled to be released until Sept/Oct. He isn’t nominated for any awards this year so coverage of him on any award show red carpets. Talking about his medical situation keeps the general public thinking well of him when he isn’t in their face every other week with Ely parading for the paps. This sells him to the mainstream public who believe every word in People magazine that he is such a good guy and gives the press / blogs another angle to run that those “George drunk in the Sudan’ pictures that make him look like a poorly functioning alcoholic who can’t even go without a drink (and drink in excess) whilst in a third world country.

Yes I’m a cynical cow but it will take more than HIM raising that he had malaria in the press for me to think that he is no longer a famewhore trading on anything to sell the George Clooney brand. I mean if you look at it from the PR perspective, it screams that he is looking for press and public adoration for getting malaria and overcoming it whilst battling for the right of the poor Sudanese people who can’t get independence without the input of some movie star. That him getting malaria is the price that he has to endure so the Sudanese people had the right to vote about their own future. Again, I am a cynical bitch but it seems to be grandstanding. It was unnecessary for him to raise it now. In an interview six months down the track – sure, nothing wrong with being honest. But raising it now just after the vote (and before a result has been declared) it seems to me, to be about making the focus on George.
watching
watching

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Fri 21 Jan 2011, 02:57

You're not the only one who's cynical here, watching. There was no reason for him to bring it up, and yes, it's now about him getting sick.

In case, another headline:

George Clooney Does Not (Currently) Have Malaria:

Casey

Back to top Go down

Post by PigLove Fri 21 Jan 2011, 05:37

Watching -- you are not a cow or a bitch (or any other animal), you are an intelligent person with critical thinking skills. Cynicism comes with that territory.

It has struck me as strange that he an John P. are still doing the rounds. What for? I mean, keep it on the President's agenda, sure, but why do MSNBC's Morning Zoo?

It's almost like he misses doing the rounds of talk shows for his movies, so he's just changed venues and gotten a different story to tell.

But that's just me being a cynical llama.
PigLove
PigLove
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Fri 21 Jan 2011, 05:59

Katiedot wrote:Wondering if malaria was what he really had. Would you really still go on holiday if you're sick with malaria?

Well, while in Cabo, we hardly saw him. If so, his "loving" GF spent more time on the beach. Granted he may have been sleeping alot, but if it was me I'd be more indoors than being sure I got papped all the time. And NOT because it was George.

sisieq

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Fri 21 Jan 2011, 06:00

Prior my post I will say that George has done a hell of a job getting publicity for the Sudan and making the issue more relevant on the global stage…

I’m actually questioning why he was there and promoting the Sudan as much as he was. I thought, from the way it was reported, the only reason the vote happened was because of the international media pressure and the ongoing humanitarian involvement that lead to it being negotiated that the choice would be put to the people by way of vote. Which was brought on by the likes of Clooney “shining the light of his celebrity on the area” and “using his celebrity credit card”.

Turns out (which I didn’t know) the vote was part of a deal the parties agreed to in 2005 (from BBC news). If this the vote was set in stone in 2005, why all the hoopla in the press over the past couple of years? Yes, it’s a wonderful thing that the atrocities were brought to light by people like Kristoff and Pendergrast and the global interest ensured the vote went ahead and hopefully reduce the possibly of corruption with the world watching but why the angle that without the involvement of George, this would never have occurred? It would have – just without so much publicity. People dying by famine, murder or disease– horrible. But it is happening in other places as well. But I had been led to believe through the media reporting and George’s op-ed pieces and interviews that they had work to instigate the vote and that the UN and other agencies was responsible to bring the parties together to work towards peace in the past couple of years.

I mean it just happens to be after this peace agreement in 2005 for the vote in 5 years time that George decides to take up the cause. I have no doubt that he wanted to help in some capacity. That he thought something should be done to stop the senseless murder and destruction. But he just happened to take up a cause so very publicly that had an expiration date in the form of the vote for separation?? My cynical radar just went up…..
watching
watching

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 21 Jan 2011, 06:23

sisieq wrote:
Katiedot wrote:Wondering if malaria was what he really had. Would you really still go on holiday if you're sick with malaria?

Well, while in Cabo, we hardly saw him. If so, his "loving" GF spent more time on the beach. Granted he may have been sleeping alot, but if it was me I'd be more indoors than being sure I got papped all the time. And NOT because it was George.
Yeah, but. We rarely see him on holiday anyway.

If he really was ill on holiday, I can understand why she was out and about so much because there's really not much she could have done for him hanging around indoors. When I was sick on holiday with my boyfriend I sent him out to enjoy himself because I didn't want to ruin the holiday for both of us. George was well enough to go out to dinner with her parents wasn't he? Maybe that's why they were invited? To keep her company.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Jan 2011, 09:16

For me, it's not just that he revealed that he had contracted malaria again that I find odd, it's that Morgan also used this as 'exclusive taster' for this interview, which then went on to become news on its own. I assume Clooney would have given his ok for that, what with him being a control freak and these Piers Morgan Tonight interviews being so stage-managed (despite Piers trying to persuade people otherwise.) Why allow it to be sensationalised like this? Particularly as it turned out the bout was relatively mild and he’s recovered from it. If it was a severe bout, and he was plainly under the weather, then I could maybe understand it, but it wasn’t and no one would have known about it had Clooney not allowed it to become news. Unless someone else mentioned it elsewhere prior to this, and this was just Clooney clarifying things? I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere (imdb?) that Ann Curry may have mentioned it?

For those who’ve seen this interview, was it any good? Or just an extended version of the taster on CNN with Piers jumping around all red-faced and excited like a school boy who couldn't wait to tell his mates he'd just interviewed George Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 21 Jan 2011, 13:05

Last time he had it he said he lost around 30lb in weight.

what? when?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Fri 21 Jan 2011, 13:13

it will happen every time he's in Sudan

and he knows it
Vi
Vi
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 21 Jan 2011, 13:28

it will happen WHAT?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Willow Fri 21 Jan 2011, 13:37

I first thought by the comments on several different sites that this wasn't going to play out well. Now it seems like there are more positive comments than negative. So I am thinking this brought everyone concerned their desired attention.

Then I read Access story that includes info that I hadn't read anywhere else.

"Clooney’s rep, however, quickly set the rumor straight to Access Hollywood."

"As a former tabloid editor, Morgan knows how to make headlines."

It seems to me that this is saying in a round about way that Piers intentionally was misleading in his tweet for attention. I thought that when stars/celebrities? agreed to do interview that publicity dos and don'ts would be established before hand.

I know no one knows any specifics for certain stars/celebrities but in general how does this work? Anyone know?

Willow
Shy poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Fri 21 Jan 2011, 16:29

Katiedot wrote:
sisieq wrote:

If he really was ill on holiday, I can understand why she was out and about so much because there's really not much she could have done for him hanging around indoors. When I was sick on holiday with my boyfriend I sent him out to enjoy himself because I didn't want to ruin the holiday for both of us. George was well enough to go out to dinner with her parents wasn't he? Maybe that's why they were invited? To keep her company.

George got sick after the holidays in Cabo. He went to Cabo during the holidays, but left for Sudan a couple of days before the Jan 9th vote.

Casey

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Fri 21 Jan 2011, 16:32

Willow wrote: I first thought by the comments on several different sites that this wasn't going to play out well. Now it seems like there are more positive comments than negative. So I am thinking this brought everyone concerned their desired attention.

Then I read Access story that includes info that I hadn't read anywhere else.

"Clooney’s rep, however, quickly set the rumor straight to Access Hollywood."

"As a former tabloid editor, Morgan knows how to make headlines."

It seems to me that this is saying in a round about way that Piers intentionally was misleading in his tweet for attention. I thought that when stars/celebrities? agreed to do interview that publicity dos and don'ts would be established before hand.

I know no one knows any specifics for certain stars/celebrities but in general how does this work? Anyone know?

Willow, I always gotten the feeling that G, being the 'son of a journalist,' doesn't really do the usual thing that celebrities do in interviews, which is to get their publicist to tell the interviewer that he/she can ask him this but not that. I think, to his credit here, he lets the interviewer ask whatever questions they way. I do think that the theme of the interview is set beforehand, ie 'George is coming on your show to discuss Sudan,' but I don't think he specifically tells them what questions are off the table. I think he's gotten used to the personal questions, and knows how to handle them, but I've gotten the impression that he's one of those celebrities who demands that certain questions not be asked.

Casey

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 21 Jan 2011, 19:08

malaria viruses into a red globule

it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 22 Jan 2011, 03:22

Casey wrote:
Katiedot wrote:
sisieq wrote:

George got sick after the holidays in Cabo. He went to Cabo during the holidays, but left for Sudan a couple of days before the Jan 9th vote.
Sorry for not being clear, I was responding to the timeline someone else had posted about how it was impossible that he could have recovered from malaria by the time he was on Piers' show if he'd caught it on his January trip, so maybe he'd got it the first time he went to Darfur in December. I was just adding to the speculation.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 22 Jan 2011, 03:31

Willow wrote: It seems to me that this is saying in a round about way that Piers intentionally was misleading in his tweet for attention. I thought that when stars/celebrities? agreed to do interview that publicity dos and don'ts would be established before hand.

I think Piers is deliberately misleading in order to bump up the coverage. He's a very smart man which is why when the interview was first announced I wondered whether George knew what he was letting himself in for.

I've only seen Piers' interview with Ricky Gervais and I think that while Piers is great on paper, in person he's a little underwhelming and way too pleased with himself to be hosting a lead show on CNN to rock the boat.

To answer your question, Willow, it really depends on the celebrity. Some can demand approval of every question in advance but I'm not sure if CNN would give in to that. I'm not sure that anyone would have asked for approval on how CNN promotes the interview because of course they're doing it for the publicity. I also suspect that if anyone demanded the right to control the interview's promos, they wouldn't be on the show.

All JMO of course.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 22 Jan 2011, 05:08

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down