George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante

+4
Katiedot
macs
The next mrs clooney
silly girl
8 posters

Go down

George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante Empty George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante

Post by silly girl Thu 07 Jun 2012, 02:15

Found on Deadline Hollywood:

Focus Features Options New Yorker Article ‘The Yankee Comandante;’ George Clooney Directing

By MIKE FLEMING | Wednesday June 6, 2012 @ 8:56pm EDT

EXCLUSIVE: Focus Features is making a rights deal for David Grann’s massive article in the May 28 issue of The New Yorker, The Yankee Commandante, with George Clooney attached to direct. He will produce with his Smokehouse partner Grant Heslov.

The article is about William Alexander Morgan, an American who helped Castro and the Cuban rebels overthrow Fulgencio Batista. He’d reached the status of Comandante, the sole foreigner other than Argentinian Che Guevara to be so highly regarded. Shortly after, Morgan, a shadowy man whose motives for being there were subject to suspicion, was imprisoned and facing a firing squad, charged with working for U.S. intelligence. At the same time, his exploits as a rebel soldier led J. Edgar Hoover and everyone else scrambling to sort out his motives and who he was working for.

Clooney most recently directed The Ides of March, and got an Oscar nom for The Descendants. He just produced the Ben Affleck-directed Argo and stars with Sandra Bullock in the Alfonso Cuaron-directed 3D space adventure Gravity for Warner Bros. Clooney is repped by CAA.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Katiedot on Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:34; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updated title)

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante Empty New Project for George

Post by The next mrs clooney Thu 07 Jun 2012, 03:01

EXCLUSIVE: Focus Features is making a rights deal for David Grann’s massive article in the May 28 issue of The New Yorker, The Yankee Commandante, with George Clooney attached to direct. He will produce with his Smokehouse partner Grant Heslov.

The article is about William Alexander Morgan, an American who helped Castro and the Cuban rebels overthrow Fulgencio Batista. He’d reached the status of Comandante, the sole foreigner other than Argentinian Che Guevara to be so highly regarded. Shortly after, Morgan, a shadowy man whose motives for being there were subject to suspicion, was imprisoned and facing a firing squad, charged with working for U.S. intelligence. At the same time, his exploits as a rebel soldier led J. Edgar Hoover and everyone else scrambling to sort out his motives and who he was working for.

Clooney most recently directed The Ides of March, and got an Oscar nom for The Descendants. He just produced the Ben Affleck-directed Argo and stars with Sandra Bullock in the Alfonso Cuaron-directed 3D space adventure Gravity for Warner Bros. Clooney is repped by CAA, which also brokered the deal for Grann.
The next mrs clooney
The next mrs clooney
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante Empty Re: George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante

Post by macs Thu 07 Jun 2012, 08:20

here's the link to the article in question [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and yes it's massive... really really long (23 pages) so I'm not copiing sorry, I'm not even sure it's going to hold in one page of this thread...

macs
macs
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante Empty Re: George Clooney to direct new film: Yankee Commandante

Post by Katiedot Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:13

A bit more info here:

George Clooney is attached to direct The Yankee Comandante, a Focus Features drama based on a New Yorker article about an American who assisted Fidel Castro and other Cuban rebels overthrow the reigning Fulgencio Batista in Cuba. Clooney and partner Grant Heslov will produce via their Smokehouse production company, a rep for Focus confirms.

The lengthy article, written by David Grann and published in the May 28 issue of The New Yorker, details the saga of William Alexander Morgan, who became the only foreigner other than Che Guevara to reach the title of Comandante in Cuba. His actions caught the eye of U.S. FBI director J. Edgar Hoover.

The project likely will not be Clooney's next movie as a director. The Oscar-nominated filmmaker (The Ides of March, Good Night, and Good Luck) is working on an adaptation of the WWII Nazi art heist book The Monuments Men. And he's busy as an actor, next appearing opposite Sandra Bullock in Alfonso Cuaron's 3D space drama Gravity.

Clooney is repped by CAA.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:34

Another factually-based film. Brill!

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:17

That does seem to be his chosen niche, doesn't it?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Thu 07 Jun 2012, 13:37

It is a shame that he was so burned by Leatherheads...it wasn't a great film but it had it's moments....hope he tries again....

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 26 Jul 2012, 11:55

Another mention of this (at least, I think it's the same film)

I hope Hollywood gets it right — but I doubt it

By George Moneo, on July 25, 2012,

Here's an article that was sent to us by Toledo Blade staff writer Jessica Shor about the wife of the now infamous "yanqui comandante," William Morgan, who is trying to repatriate his remains in Ohio. It's of some interest in that George Clooney is considering optioning the story. God help us.

In many ways, South Toledo resident Olga Goodwin is a typical Midwestern grandmother.

The 76-year-old volunteers at her church, makes dinner for her husband each evening at 5 o'clock, and spends her free time learning the art of Google searches.

But the energetic Cuban native has been fighting a fierce battle for more than a decade: to bring home to Toledo the remains of her late husband, William Morgan, a celebrated rebel soldier who left Toledo in 1957 to fight for her country during the Cuban revolution and died at the hands of Fidel Castro's army.

"William did his best for my country. He said when he found me, he found everything," Mrs. Goodwin said of their meeting in the midst of the fighting in her native land.

It's a story that she has carried with her since leaving Cuba in 1980, and one that has attracted the attention of Hollywood actor and director George Clooney.

William Morgan is buried in Havana. His widow seeks to bring his body back to Toledo. William Morgan is buried in Havana. His widow seeks to bring his body back to Toledo. Enlarge

Clooney is in the process of optioning the dramatic rights to Mrs. Goodwin's life story for a Hollywood production, according to her attorney, Jon Richardson.

In her first interview since the deal, Mrs. Goodwin expressed hope that big-screen publicity will bring an end to a saga that began in Cuba 54 years ago and will conclude, she prays, here in Toledo.

In 1958, Cuba was under the dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista, and Olga had taken up arms in the resistance. While in Castro's army, she met Mr. Morgan, whose story seems made for Hollywood.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Fri 27 Jul 2012, 06:16

Seems like a fascinating story but geez George seems to be attaching himself to a lot of projects lately. Isn't he set to direct Monuments too?
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 27 Jul 2012, 07:20

Mioddddio!

and also
every time I running thru new posts
I read a bit fast
thru lines
and what gets to my eyes is
.....yankee commando!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Rolling Eyes
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAvailable Fri 27 Jul 2012, 12:48

Hmmm, thats pretty near me. Does that mean the movie will have some shots here in Toledo I wonder? As the man lived here and then went there. Hmmmmmm.
NotAvailable
NotAvailable
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down