George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Photographer Sam Hurd talks about portrait of George Clooney EmptyYesterday at 22:11 by Ida

»  George filming new film in UK
Photographer Sam Hurd talks about portrait of George Clooney EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Photographer Sam Hurd talks about portrait of George Clooney EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Photographer Sam Hurd talks about portrait of George Clooney EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Photographer Sam Hurd talks about portrait of George Clooney EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Photographer Sam Hurd talks about portrait of George Clooney EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Photographer Sam Hurd talks about portrait of George Clooney EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Photographer Sam Hurd talks about portrait of George Clooney EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Photographer Sam Hurd talks about portrait of George Clooney EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Photographer Sam Hurd talks about portrait of George Clooney

+7
Dexterdidit
Maggy
silly girl
MyGirlKylie
Cinderella
Astras
Katiedot
11 posters

Go down

Photographer Sam Hurd talks about portrait of George Clooney Empty Photographer Sam Hurd talks about portrait of George Clooney

Post by Katiedot Thu 22 Mar 2012, 19:32

Thanks Henway for this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

epic portrait // george clooney

March 21, 2012 · editorial, epic portrait, strobist

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
George Clooney – March 14th 2012

The Gear

Lens: Nikon 50mm f/1.2

Camera: Nikon D3s

Technique: Inversed Lighting & Brenizer Method (3 frames)

Light Sources: 2 Einstein 640 WS by Paul C. Buff

Light Modifiers: Key light is Lightmod Snoot – camera left backlight is 60″ Parabolic Light Modifier– camera right

The Goal
Create a dark and moody portrait using light modifiers completely reversed from the way they’re normally used.

The Vision
I wanted this portrait to be a bit dark and moody because of the issues George Clooney was drawing attention to in Sudan. I had tried this lighting setup in a few tests and liked how the snooted light as the main light casts the harsh shadows on the subjects face. It’s not soft and dreamy like my Danica Patrick portrait. Using the parabolic light modifier feathered heavily on a side provided an interesting gradient and background with quick falloff.

The Story
I had a day to prepare for my portrait of George Clooney. I have about 60 seconds to make the actual image with him. No matter how much I plan or conceptualize what I want a portrait to be like there’s almost always a big stroke of luck on my side. Literally having time to only get a few frames means I have to be ready to rock and roll asap. Especially if I want to try for a few different looks/expressions.

This portrait was made the day after George Clooney returned from a recent visit to Sudan. I was told he was even wearing the same suit that he was wearing when he got off the plane in NYC. He spent an entire day doing interviews with major news networks and radio shows before I had a chance to work with him. In fact, even though I had setup my lights and positioned them roughly how I wanted I was told that he would probably not have time for the portrait because he was running a bit late. As luck would have it he took a look at my setup and decided he had time for me to take a few frames. I quickly ran around and turned all my equipment back on. Thankfully, I already had my ratios set for what I wanted and all I had to do was try to place him where he needed to be and my lights where they needed to be. No time to adjust once I started taking the actual photos. This is where having the modeling light capabilities of the studio lights has a huge advantage for me vs. speed lights. I can see where the light is hitting before I take the image.

Here’s a setup shot from my iphone.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The Lesson
I’m incredibly happy with this portrait considering the tight time restraints I was working within. He’s definitely not a hard guy to photograph. I really like him in this portrait because he’s got a bit of a “working man” look to him. Many of the other portraits I’ve seen of him have him perfectly styled, but here his collar is unbuttoned and his general demeanor strikes me as if he’s had a long day of work and travel… which he had.

The very next day he was arrested with his father for protesting in front of the Sudanese embassy and made headlines all over the world.

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Photographer Sam Hurd talks about portrait of George Clooney Empty Re: Photographer Sam Hurd talks about portrait of George Clooney

Post by Astras Thu 22 Mar 2012, 20:31

Excellent! Thank you for posting. Thumbs up!
Astras
Astras
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Photographer Sam Hurd talks about portrait of George Clooney Empty Re: Photographer Sam Hurd talks about portrait of George Clooney

Post by Cinderella Thu 22 Mar 2012, 20:42

I love that pic of George! Thanks for posting the article Katie!
Thanks Henway, great find!
Cinderella
Cinderella
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by MyGirlKylie Thu 22 Mar 2012, 21:59

Love the pic and as a photographer, I always love seeing others behind the scenes set up. I did have to laugh that he calls that a dark and moody shot. George's right side is lit pretty well and the left side has a lot of areas that are blown out (too bright and lost detail). I guess art really is subjective. lol

Thanks Katie and Henway! Thumbs up!
MyGirlKylie
MyGirlKylie
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Thu 22 Mar 2012, 22:02

I know it is not so much dark and moody as tired and drawn....tired in a good way....

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Thu 22 Mar 2012, 22:13

WOW! I love that picture of Mr. Handsome!

Not Photoshopped, the real Mr. G, HOT! sunny

MY new cell wallpaper flower
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Thu 22 Mar 2012, 23:05

Very hot! He looks good I doubt a photographer could go too wrong with George.
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 22 Mar 2012, 23:11

my thought too Thumbs up!
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Thu 22 Mar 2012, 23:59

Please,

He is not all that either.
Maggy
Maggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Fri 23 Mar 2012, 00:01

and I take my comment back about him being HOT.
Maggy
Maggy

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Fri 23 Mar 2012, 01:24

Dexterdidit wrote:Very hot! He looks good I doubt a photographer could go too wrong with George.
I think you're right Dex! He's had some wonderful pics done by some fantastic photographers! IMVWO!!!
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by davidarochelle Fri 23 Mar 2012, 02:42

Deep, sensitive, caring eyes a girl could get lost in. Though normally I think G looks hotter with a smoother face, the ruggedness reflects what he has just experienced.
davidarochelle
davidarochelle
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by bamboochacha Fri 23 Mar 2012, 04:02

He looks sad and much too thin. Ahha - he needs to replace the missing liqour calorie intake with some chocolates. mmmmm. flower
bamboochacha
bamboochacha
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down