George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact EmptyYesterday at 22:11 by Ida

»  George filming new film in UK
Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact

+5
Joanna
Cinderella
pattygirl
it's me
watching
9 posters

Go down

Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact Empty Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact

Post by watching Sat 11 Feb 2012, 12:42

11 February 2012
Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact, says Thabo Mbeki

Sudan and South Sudan have signed a non-aggression pact, the chief mediator at crisis talks between the two says. Thabo Mbeki, the ex-president of South Africa, said both sides had agreed to respect each other's sovereignty and territorial integrity. South Sudan became independent last July, but since then relations have deteriorated with numerous clashes along their disputed border. It has also halted oil production amid a dispute over sharing revenues.

The South Sudanese opted to split from the north last year, following a peace deal in 2005 which ended decades of civil war in which some 1.5 million people died. But the two never agreed on the transit fees that the South Sudanese government in Juba should pay Khartoum for pumping oil through its pipelines and using Sudan's oil export infrastructure. The countries have also failed to reach agreement on borders and accuse each other of backing militia groups.

Outstanding secession issues
• Blue Nile and South Kordofan have not had popular consultations about their future, due before the split
• Abyei has not held a referendum on whether to join north or south, due before the split
• Sharing oil revenues
• Exact border demarcation

Mr Mbeki spoke to reporters after the first meeting in a fresh round of talks in Ethiopia's capital, Addis Ababa, to resolve some of these issues. He said both sides had pledged to "refrain from launching any attack, including bombardment". Earlier, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon had voiced his concern about the slow progress of the negotiations.

"The moment has come for the leaders of both countries to make the necessary compromises, once again, that will guarantee a peaceful and prosperous future for both nations," he said a statement.

Before halting production, South Sudan accused Sudan of stealing oil worth $815m (£518m). Correspondents say the shutdown is hurting both economies - 98% of Juba's budget depends on oil while Khartoum needs transit fees to make up a 36% hole in its budget because of South Sudan's secession. Friday's agreement aims to establish a monitoring mechanism to allow the two sides to lodge complaints if border disputes erupt. The negotiations are expected to continue on Saturday, focusing on oil.

Source
watching
watching
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact Empty Re: Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact

Post by it's me Sat 11 Feb 2012, 14:25

too early for a celebration?
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact Empty Re: Sudan and South Sudan sign peace pact

Post by pattygirl Sat 11 Feb 2012, 14:37

I think so although it is a step in the right direction. IMO, maybe 5 yrs. down the line, if there is no aggression and all negotiations are peaceful, we can have that celebration. It is sad that the peoples of the world cannot find an equitable peace and live together in harmony. Smile
pattygirl
pattygirl
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 11 Feb 2012, 14:48

so sad
at the end we will have lost so many people.... Crying or Very sad

that makes me Mad
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinderella Sat 11 Feb 2012, 15:32

Well... I will celebrate now... Even though we don't see the outcome, yet.

Okay, I may be a little weird... but I celebrate each small victory because if it brings about the large victory, I want to remember each step. Smile
Cinderella
Cinderella
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 11 Feb 2012, 15:52

Thumbs up!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 13 Feb 2012, 11:47

"Mr Mbeki spoke to reporters after the first meeting in a fresh round of talks in Ethiopia's capital, Addis Ababa, to resolve some of these issues. He said both sides had pledged to "refrain from launching any attack, including bombardment". Earlier, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon had voiced his concern about the slow progress of the negotiations.

"The moment has come for the leaders of both countries to make the necessary compromises, once again, that will guarantee a peaceful and prosperous future for both nations," he said a statement."

We must hope it's just not words, words, words but a real commitment.
Has the satellite had a small part in this ?
All credit to George and his team for that inspiration.
I'd imagine this news must mean more than any film award to him.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Pari Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:05

Every step is precious here, because it costs in blood... May the angels of peace, goodwill, harmony and good health descend here to stay for ever and ever...
Pari
Pari
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:12

I hope so

I was thinking about rallies
about that energy

we need to show those people that the whole word want peace
for them
for all

in a warm way
but
how could we letting them know?

well, thank for my delirious ranting

it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle meyers Mon 13 Feb 2012, 15:25

Cinderella wrote:Well... I will celebrate now... Even though we don't see the outcome, yet.

Okay, I may be a little weird... but I celebrate each small victory because if it brings about the large victory, I want to remember each step. Smile

Not weird at all. that is very nice and I can use that for personal advice as well...... so, actually, Thank you Cinderella
Michelle meyers
Michelle meyers
Drinking George Clooney under the table

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle meyers Mon 13 Feb 2012, 15:30

pattygirl wrote:I think so although it is a step in the right direction. IMO, maybe 5 yrs. down the line, if there is no aggression and all negotiations are peaceful, we can have that celebration. It is sad that the peoples of the world cannot find an equitable peace and live together in harmony. Smile

I really agree with you, Patty. yes maybe in five and/or six maximum ( with hope ) there will be a celebration
Michelle meyers
Michelle meyers
Drinking George Clooney under the table

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 13 Feb 2012, 22:04

I know it could be right
but I hope a bit sooner
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 28 Aug 2012, 21:42

Katie, do we have a Causes and Charities thread?

Just had an email from Medicins Sans Frontieres about the continuing refugee crisis in South Sudan. Sounds utterly overwhelming

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 28 Aug 2012, 22:38

so sad to ear that
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 29 Aug 2012, 06:32

party animal - not! wrote:Katie, do we have a Causes and Charities thread?

Just had an email from Medicins Sans Frontieres about the continuing refugee crisis in South Sudan. Sounds utterly overwhelming
Nope but I was thinking of setting up a new section of the forum for that if we want one. For the time being, you're welcome to start a new thread and share. If it's not directly George related maybe put it in the party in the kitchen section.

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 29 Aug 2012, 10:12

Thanks very much, Katie.

Personally, I think a new section would be great - and maybe add a bit of balance and topicaliity in some ways?!

GC is involved in so many causes on a national and global level. We know that he spends at least a couple of hours of each day on Sudan alone. So it would be good to have them all in the one place.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 29 Aug 2012, 11:34

We know that he spends at least a couple of hours of each day on Sudan alone.

sorry
don't remember

when did he say that?
Inside the Actors Studio interview?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 30 Aug 2012, 12:12

Hi, It's Me.

GC has mentioned this loads of time, and I will try to find some instances. In alot of interviews, it's clear that that's got to part of the deal as well as film promotion or whatever, eg Letterman, and he says things like 'that something I do every single day' (paraphrase).

Thank you Katie!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 06 Jan 2013, 22:34

maybe finally REAL

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

AFRICA NEWS - January 6, 2013
Sudan, South Sudan Agree to Implement Oil Deal

Associated Press

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia—The presidents of Sudan and South Sudan agreed Saturday to the unconditional and speedy implementation of deals reached in September to demilitarize their shared borders and allow oil exports to flow from South Sudan's oil fields north through Sudan's pipelines, an African Union official said.

Sudan President Omar al-Bashir and South Sudan President Salva Kiir met on Friday and Saturday in Ethiopia's capital to revive a stalled oil-exportation deal that has been delayed for months over disputes on the setup of security arrangements in the border regions.

African Union mediator Thabo Mbeki told reporters late Saturday that the two presidents agreed to the "speedy, unconditional and coordinated" implementation of the agreements.

"We are very, very pleased indeed with the outcome of this because it has indeed opened the way for the implementation of all of these various agreements," Mr. Mbeki said. "They have also agreed that action should be taken immediately, as soon as possible, to implement all the existing agreements unconditionally."

AU mediators will present officials of the two sides with a timetable for oil exports and the withdrawal of military forces from border areas. The schedule will be ready by Jan. 13, Mr. Mbeki said.

"The presidents agreed that steps should be taken without any further delay to demarcate those parts of the border which have been agreed," he said.

Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn hailed the two leaders' agreements. Mr. Hailemariam last week went to both capitals to help move the process forward. The two sides fought a decadeslong war and are still at odds over some disputed areas, including the contested Abyei region.

South Sudan chief negotiator Pagan Amum on Friday said that in case of disagreements over the recommendation of the mediators, his country is proposing to go to binding international arbitration. There was no agreement on the issue during the summit and AU officials say how the two sides would proceed in such events remains open-ended.

South Sudan held a vote and broke away from Sudan in 2011. South Sudan was pumping its oil through Sudan's pipelines up until early 2012, when it accused Sudan of stealing its oil. That decision has crippled government budgets in both countries.
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 06 Jan 2013, 22:50

Cautious optimism, cautious optimism, cautious optimism............Maybe. Let's hope...........

Brilliant idea of S Sudan to propose going to 'binding international arbitration' if necessary.

Great find, It's me. Thank you.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 06 Jan 2013, 23:12

Emphasis on the cautious.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 06 Jan 2013, 23:38

we learned...
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 07 Jan 2013, 00:31

That's much more important than all the other stuff being
talked about tonight...IMO of course.

Hope it all goes smoothly for those people in the firing line now.

Well done little Satellite !
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 07 Jan 2013, 00:35

So true, Jo!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down