George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Steven Soderbergh talks (a bit) about the Oscars and George Clooney EmptyToday at 01:05 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Steven Soderbergh talks (a bit) about the Oscars and George Clooney EmptyToday at 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Steven Soderbergh talks (a bit) about the Oscars and George Clooney EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Steven Soderbergh talks (a bit) about the Oscars and George Clooney EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Steven Soderbergh talks (a bit) about the Oscars and George Clooney EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Steven Soderbergh talks (a bit) about the Oscars and George Clooney EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Steven Soderbergh talks (a bit) about the Oscars and George Clooney EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Steven Soderbergh talks (a bit) about the Oscars and George Clooney EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Steven Soderbergh talks (a bit) about the Oscars and George Clooney EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Steven Soderbergh talks (a bit) about the Oscars and George Clooney

2 posters

Go down

Steven Soderbergh talks (a bit) about the Oscars and George Clooney Empty Steven Soderbergh talks (a bit) about the Oscars and George Clooney

Post by Katiedot Sat 21 Jan 2012, 11:26

There's a very interesting interview with Steven Soderbergh. I've just taken the bits about George here, for the rest of it click on the link below.

We were getting ready to attend the Critics Choice Awards in a few hours on the same day we were doing this interview.

CS: I don't really understand how George is handling this week, because he has events and awards shows pretty much every night.
Soderbergh: Oh, and this isn't going to be the end of it. He's going to have to go to the Oscars, and nobody enjoys it! (laughs) I mean, nobody! It gets expensive, and I wish everybody would just get together and go, "You know what? Let's just list when the films are being screened and just leave it at that." It's just crazy, and it's Harvey's fault.

CS: Him and a couple other producers, I'm sure. Then again, something like "A Separation," the Iranian film--I don't know if you've seen it--a movie like that might never get seen without these things.Soderbergh: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely. That's the upside potentially, but it's a very specific form of psychological torture.

CS: There's gotta be a middle ground basically between where we are now and where things were before.
Soderbergh: Yeah, it'd be nice, but I don't know. Each year, it just feels desperate.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Steven Soderbergh talks (a bit) about the Oscars and George Clooney Empty Re: Steven Soderbergh talks (a bit) about the Oscars and George Clooney

Post by Katiedot Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:43

Here's a bit more:

From NJ.com

A studio release, “King of the Hill,” left audiences cold; a series of uncompromising independent films — “Kafka,” “The Underneath,” “Schizopolis,” “Gray’s Anatomy” — came and went without a ripple. And then he got an offer to direct a crime picture called “Out of Sight.”

“It was, literally, the most self-imposed pressure I’ve ever felt,” he says. “Because I knew if I didn’t pull it off, I was done. I’d already blown my first big studio movie. I couldn’t seem to make art films any arthouse wanted to play. This was really it. And George (Clooney) felt the same way, because at that point in his career — well, both of us were perceived as not exactly having fulfilled our potential. So it was great we found each other.”

Full of rich performances and tricky narrative flourishes, the movie caught the attention of critics and studios, too.

“It wasn’t a hit, financially,” Soderbergh admits. “But after it came out, no one ever again questioned whether George was a movie star, or I could handle a film of that kind. And that was the point where I thought, okay, let’s just go — and this period of very intense work started.”

Soderbergh isn’t bragging when he defines the period as intense — since then, he’s directed 17 movies (and produced 19 for other directors, including Clooney). Although he does have a personal life (he has two daughters, and has been married to entertainment reporter Jules Asner since 2003), clearly the man likes to work

. . .

And “U.N.C.L.E.”? That actually stung a little more, as Soderbergh had put even more time into the project and had, at one point, lined up Clooney to star as one of the spies.

“That played out in a slightly more civil way, I suppose, because I have a relationship with Warners,” Soderbergh says. “But we were going back and forth and, in the end, I pushed them because I didn’t want to be back in the position where I had an entire crew waiting and ready to go to work, and the studio said, ‘Well, if you’re really going to push us to answer now, the answer is no.’ ”

No hard feelings, Soderbergh insists.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Steven Soderbergh talks (a bit) about the Oscars and George Clooney Empty Re: Steven Soderbergh talks (a bit) about the Oscars and George Clooney

Post by Duffy Mon 23 Jan 2012, 22:17

So does this mean the UNCLE movie is now not happening at all?

Duffy
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 24 Jan 2012, 03:32

As far as I understand it, yes. Unless they get a new lead and more money?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down