George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» The Good News
How George Clooney saved my self esteem EmptyYesterday at 18:19 by annemariew

» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
How George Clooney saved my self esteem EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
How George Clooney saved my self esteem EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
How George Clooney saved my self esteem EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
How George Clooney saved my self esteem EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
How George Clooney saved my self esteem EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
How George Clooney saved my self esteem EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
How George Clooney saved my self esteem EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
How George Clooney saved my self esteem EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

How George Clooney saved my self esteem

+9
melbert
MM
MyGirlKylie
Pari
it's me
cindigirl
lucy
janieb
Katiedot
13 posters

Go down

How George Clooney saved my self esteem Empty How George Clooney saved my self esteem

Post by Katiedot Fri 02 Dec 2011, 15:27

Thought this was amusing.

From More

How George Clooney Saved My Self-Esteem

A chance encounter with the gorgeous, gallant star instantly transforms one woman's approach to aging

By Susannah Bianchi

What do you do if you're 50 and feel that you're falling apart? I've looked 35 for so long that to suddenly look my age is downright shocking.

The exact same thing happened to my cat. Missy, who is 15, looked eight for the longest time. I always wondered how she did it. Was it all that rigorous exercise—running relays across the furniture in the middle of the night, pumping blood and oxygen into her furry face—or the fish oil from the countless cans of cat food I faithfully fed her? I thought seriously about switching from my South Beach salad to 9Lives Prime Entrée with Real Salmon.

Then, overnight, Missy aged. That little black nose of hers turned white, and her eyes needed a lift. At first, I thought her mother was visiting, but then the same thing happened to me. My nose didn't change color, but my eyebrows certainly did. Out of nowhere, they were mostly the color of Santa's.

My tweezers became my new best friend, but the more I plucked, the faster the white hairs came back. It was like battling crabgrass

I called Aurora, my Romanian bikini waxer and trusty confidante, who said, “Just wait till it happens farther south.” According to her, my only recourse was to dye.

“But I'm too young to dye!” I said in a severe panic. The idea reminded me too much of my Uncle Pete, who at 83 still polished his hair along with his shoes.

I ran to the drugstore and bought $500 worth of eyebrow pencils, which not only made me eligible for a free box of Tide but also did the trick—provided I didn't let anyone get too close, since my brows looked a tad like a Paint by Number set. I tried touching up Missy's whiskers, but she kept licking off the color.

Just when I got my brows under control, my jaw began to sag. I was stunned. What about all those upward-facing dogs I do, or the series of facial exercises (which, I'll admit, look more like tics) I perform, without fail, every day on the bus? I realized at once that I couldn't pluck my way out of this one, so I did what any other hysterical, hormonally challenged 50-year-old would do: I became possessed. I spent most of my time in front of the mirror on a reconnaissance mission, waiting for the other jaw to drop. Out of nowhere, I seemed to have little satchels under my eyes, and laugh lines when I wasn't laughing. Add these to the occasional hot flash and a vagina as dry as a bran muffin, and I'll show you a weepy woman up on a ledge.

I thought of all the ways I could handle aging without actually going under the knife. I could become a recluse like Greta Garbo, buying my groceries at the all-night Food Emporium, or just pack up and move to Japan, where they respect the elderly. I decided instead to call my friend Camille.

“I have one word for you,” she said when I confided my concerns. “Consultation.”

“Consultation?” The thought of sitting with a surgeon discussing the fate of my face left me depressed and, frankly, a little hungry.

“You have the wrong attitude,” Camille told me. “Think of it as reupholstering. Your face is just like your sofa. Every 20 years or so, it gets worn out from too many people sitting on it.”

“I beg your pardon?” I suddenly saw myself being placed on my side in the back of a Toyota minivan. I agreed to meet Camille in the King Cole Bar at the St. Regis Hotel in Manhattan to discuss the matter further.

“What's with the scarf and dark glasses?” Camille asked when I skulked in like Mata Hari. “Are the paparazzi hounding you again?”

“That's not funny,” I said, catching my reflection in the mirror. “I'm just trying to keep a low profile.”

“You're acting nuts, you know that,” Camille said. “Your looks haven't changed all that much.”

“That's a matter of opinion,” I said, casing the bar to make sure no one I knew was there.

“Why don't you treat yourself to a little Botox?” she said, sipping her crantini. “Or if that's too extreme for you, collagen is a sure bet.”

“Collagen? I don't know. Remember what happened to Beth Ann? She went in for a routine lip plumping and came out looking as if she'd been attacked by a swarm of bees.”

“That's what happens when you call an 800 number after midnight,” Camille said. “Rule number one: When it comes to your face, money is no object. You got that?”

“Yes, of course. Do you think I want to end up like Ava from the gym? She invited me over after her trip to Hawaii, and I swear to God, I thought Natalie Portman answered the door. It wasn't out of the question, since Ava knows people in the arts. I was all set to say ‘I love your work’ when she spoke and Ava's voice came out of Natalie Portman's face.”

“I wouldn't mind having my voice come out of Natalie Portman's face,” Camille said.

“You're missing the point,” I said, holding up my jaw with my index fingers. “I'm trying to say I don't want to look like anyone else—not even a beauty like Natalie Portman. I just want to look the way I've looked for the past 15 years. I'm afraid I'm turning into Missy.”

“Are you having hair ball issues?” Camille asked. “Seriously, you're just suffering from a bad case of the fifties. Look at me. I'm 54, and you don't see me wigging out, do you?”

“You've had work done,” I said, rather indignantly.

“Just my lids, and that's not work,” Camille said. “It's maintenance—like getting your teeth cleaned.”

“Since when do they knock you out cold when they clean your teeth?”

“Oh my God!” Camille said, grabbing my arm. “Guess who just walked in?”

Before I could answer, George Clooney was standing right next to me at the bar. I was so shaken that I dropped my wallet on the floor. He bent down, retrieved it and graciously handed it to me.

“Thank you,” I said, trying to appear calm.

“I'm sure people must tell you all the time that you look like Jackie Kennedy,” he said.

“Well, just my mother,” I answered, hoping he couldn't hear my heart thump.

He gave me a quick smile, then disappeared into the crowd.

“Now I really need a drink,” I muttered under my breath.

“What, what?” Camille said. “The sexiest man on the planet just said you look like Jackie Kennedy. What could possibly be the matter?”

“She's older than me,” I said, draining my glass. “Plus, she's dead.”

“He said Jackie Kennedy, not Jacqueline Onassis,” Camille pointed out.

“What the hell's the difference?”

“A good 30 years, that's what.”

“You're right. I should count my blessings,” I said. “He could have said Bess Truman.”

We both started to laugh.

“So, what do you have to say for yourself there, Jackie?” Camille asked, applying fresh lipstick.

“Maybe I'll just go ahead and ‘have my teeth cleaned’ after all,” I said, smiling. “By the way, is there any such thing as a two-for-one special?”

“Susannah, they do both eyes at the same time.”

“I know that,” I said. “I was thinking of Missy.”

Susannah Bianchi, a writer and an actress, blogs at athingirl.com.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

How George Clooney saved my self esteem Empty Re: How George Clooney saved my self esteem

Post by janieb Fri 02 Dec 2011, 16:52

This was great!!!!
janieb
janieb
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

How George Clooney saved my self esteem Empty Re: How George Clooney saved my self esteem

Post by lucy Fri 02 Dec 2011, 17:04

Wonder if he knew he was paying her a compliment? That's how I would probably react if I were to meet him, barely able to speak! Aging is tough when your face begins to move where it wasn't, or you lose hair where you want it and grow hair where you don't.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Fri 02 Dec 2011, 17:17

I'm not surprised George paid her a compliment along with picking up her wallet. He's the consummate gentleman.

One of the pitfalls of aging and losing weight is losing elasticity in your face and jaw. It's almost like your face is falling right off your skull. LOL
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 02 Dec 2011, 18:21

brava! Very Happy

bravo! Smile
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pari Fri 02 Dec 2011, 19:08

Aaaaaw... very sweet indeed Smile
Pari
Pari
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by MyGirlKylie Fri 02 Dec 2011, 21:35

That was a hilarious read. I loved how the $500 worth of eye pencils made her eligible for a box of Tide. LMAO

I'm not sure I could speak or remember my own name if I ran into G like that.
MyGirlKylie
MyGirlKylie

Back to top Go down

Post by MM Fri 02 Dec 2011, 21:53

Cool. Dang, that is one lucky chick.
MM
MM
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 03 Dec 2011, 07:22

if I ran into G like that I surely would know WHAT TO DO

Twisted Evil
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 04 Dec 2011, 00:11

Well, if it was ME, he wouldn't have disappeared into the crowd. I would have latched on to him and he would have to drag me kicking and screaming all the way back to his house! Oh wait, HE would be the one kicking and screaming!!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Sun 04 Dec 2011, 00:13

melbert wrote:I would have latched on to him and he would have to drag me kicking and screaming all the way back to his house! Oh wait, HE would be the one kicking and screaming!!

Hey Mel, that sounds like a job for Stacy. LOL
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 04 Dec 2011, 00:15

You keep HER out of my fantasy Cindigirl!!!!!! lol
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Sun 04 Dec 2011, 00:17

OK, no Stacy. Let's both of us do the job. I know we can do it!!!
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 04 Dec 2011, 00:19

You're on! First we'll hogtie her and put her in the closet, then on to George!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Sun 04 Dec 2011, 00:20

Oooooh, kinky!!!
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by lolo"layla" Sun 04 Dec 2011, 01:40

if george met any one of us alone she might faint ,but if he met all of us together he will faint , lol!

lolo"layla"
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 04 Dec 2011, 02:39

Wouldn't that be a gas Lolo??? Lots of happy
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by zizi Sun 04 Dec 2011, 06:23

lol! no that would be the luckiest day of his life. Hoorah!

zizi

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 04 Dec 2011, 09:03

lolo wrote:if george met any one of us alone she might faint ,but if he met all of us together he will faint , lol!

surely!!! love1 Chased
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinderella Sun 04 Dec 2011, 19:11

I would love for him to return my wallet to me! Then I would... Laughing
Cinderella
Cinderella
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by MyGirlKylie Sun 04 Dec 2011, 19:31

melbert wrote:Well, if it was ME, he wouldn't have disappeared into the crowd. I would have latched on to him and he would have to drag me kicking and screaming all the way back to his house! Oh wait, HE would be the one kicking and screaming!!

Lmao @ the visual of you latched onto his leg like a kid who doesn't want to leave. Wink
MyGirlKylie
MyGirlKylie

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 04 Dec 2011, 21:10

Just like glue!!!!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Sun 04 Dec 2011, 21:30

Just what would you be latched onto, Melbert? My visual is definitely not his leg like a little kid! lol!
pattygirl
pattygirl
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 04 Dec 2011, 23:13

Patty!!!!!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 05 Dec 2011, 02:13

I was trying to show my innocent *cough,cough* side, PattyGirl!!!! You KNOW what I'd be aholdin' on to!!!!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down