George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 EmptyToday at 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Serious Side - part 8

+6
carolhathaway
Donnamarie
ladybugcngc
party animal - not!
annemarie
LizzyNY
10 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 Empty Re: The Serious Side - part 8

Post by heartlove Fri 08 May 2020, 16:04

It's not the lock down.  It's the diabolical California health care system with Newsom at the helm State level and Pelosi  at the helm Federal level where I compare our current situation to Hitler.  When law makers believe murder is the solution to over crowded prisons, homelessness, and the elderly in nursing home we have ungodly pagans at the helm.

The solution:  Supporting families (economically and Biblically-Spiritually) and educating the young to be productive citizens.  Tackle the oppression imposed by Corporate business.  Understand the elders deserve our love and care in their senior years.

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 08 May 2020, 16:45

Lock down is fine for me so are masks. I and my family are following the rules and thank god so far we are all healthy.

My life means more to me than being able to wander around being free. The rules are for everyone's benefit , maybe if the idiot in the White House would practice safety first this nonsense for rights wouldn't be happening.

Oh wait, money means more to the fool than American lives.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 08 May 2020, 16:57

Heartbug, I think we all know to look after the elders, thanks. You're preaching to the converted on here - and wouldn't it be great if your chosen Government got cheques out to the needy quicker than in eight weeks (because the Narcissist wanted his needlessly big signature all over it). Would be jolly nice if he handed all the conferences to the scientists rather than to his son-in-law (nepotism) to make money out of everybody and take much needed PPE away from governors too.

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 08 May 2020, 18:16

I was shocked to see and read that the Californian governor was compared to Hitler.

These f*ing idiots have no idea what Hitler did! And today, 75 years ago, WW II ended afterNazi Germany (eg Hitler's successors) surrendered to the allies. During the last months we commemorated the rescue of all the horrible concentration camps 75 years ago, and today it's the end of it for most of the world. And if the Corona virus hadn't happened, we had had lots of ceremonies with survivors - many of them won't be alive anymore next year when the ceremonies will take place...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 08 May 2020, 19:59

Carolhathaway - That was my first reaction, too. Those morons have no idea what it would have been like for them if they had to live under Hitler. If they think they have it bad now, they should go read some history books!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 09 May 2020, 13:52

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8302185/boycottcostco-trends-people-furious-stores-masks-mandatory-customers.html

[size=34]#BoycottCostco trends with people furious at the stores making masks mandatory but sparks a #SupportCostco backlash as shoppers come to the chain's defense[/size]

• Costco faced a backlash after requiring shoppers to wear masks in an attempt to control the spread of the coronavirus

• Some customers said they believed the rule is a violation of personal freedoms 

• Now shoppers are rallying around Costco to support the company's mask policy 

• The hashtag #BoycottCostco is now trending with: #SupportCostco

• Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19

By JAMES GORDON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 19:03 EDT, 8 May 2020 | UPDATED: 20:07 EDT, 8 May 2020

On Monday, Costco became the latest retailer to require shoppers to wear masks during the coronavirus pandemic with the company insisting face coverings be worn 'at all times' in the store. 
The company quickly faced a backlash for requiring customers to wear such accessories despite many states insisting on taking such precautions when social distancing is not possible. Angry customers called for a boycott of the chain in response.
On Friday, loyal shoppers appeared to be coming to the big box store's defense with the hashtag #SupportCostco trending on Twitter. 
Costco's policy is in line with guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control, which is advising people to wear some type of face coverings 'in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.' 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28181094-8302185-image-a-10_1588978797340

+5

Costco faced a backlash after requiring shoppers to wear masks in an attempt to control the spread of the coronavirus
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28182046-8302185-image-a-4_1588981090738

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28182042-8302185-image-a-5_1588981099924

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28182024-8302185-image-a-9_1588981143180

Costco faced a backlash after requiring shoppers to wear masks in an attempt to control the spread of the coronavirus
The company, which has more than 540 stores across the U.S., is facing threats from customers who say they will no longer shop at the retailer. 
'We cannot let them normalize the fear - it allows them to drag out the closures and restrictions and will make it easier for them to do this to the country every flu season moving forward,' Ashley Smith, a leader at ReOpen NC, posted on Facebook.
Some customers said they believed Costco's rule is a violation of their personal freedoms.  
Costco is also attempting to enforce social distancing in stores by limiting the numbers of people who can be allowed inside at once. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 27721608-8302185-_I_m_not_responsible_for_other_people_s_choices_I_m_for_personal-a-13_1588981322977

+5

'We cannot let them normalize the fear - it allows them to drag out the closures and restrictions and will make it easier for them to do this to the country every flu season moving forward,' Ashley Smith, left, a leader at ReOpen NC, posted on Facebook
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28181080-8302185-image-a-11_1588978800787

+5

Some customers said they believed the rule is a violation of personal freedoms
'The use of a mask or face covering should not be seen as a substitute for social distancing,'' the company said in its announcement. 'Please continue to observe rules regarding appropriate distancing while on Costco premises.' 
On Friday, however, #boycottcostco on Twitter was co-opted by people on Twitter who supported the retailers' stance with the hashtag #supportCostco. 
'I #supportCostco bc they pay employees a living wage, provide incredible healthcare & other benefits including paid family leave, & put the well-being of staff and their families ahead of the selfish demands of people who don't want to wear masks. Never#boycottcostco!' wrote one user.
'My mom works at costco as a supervisor and her safety is put at risk EVERY DAY and y'all really feel the need to complain about having to wear a mask when you go once!? y'all are selfish, ignorant, and ridiculous. get over yourselves and have some human decency. #boycottcostco.' 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28182028-8302185-image-a-8_1588981132197

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28182038-8302185-image-a-7_1588981126699

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28182044-8302185-image-a-6_1588981118126

+5

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28182014-8302185-image-a-11_1588981158181

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28182018-8302185-image-a-10_1588981150974

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28182036-8302185-image-a-12_1588981169211

+5

Now shoppers are rallying around Costco to support the company's mask policy
Costco's Facebook page has also been flooded with customers showing support for the chain.
'I think it is wonderful that Costco is requiring masks to go into their business,' one commenter said. 'They are working to keep me, my family and their employees safe during a difficult time. If [you] do not want to be safe, then go somewhere else.'
'I totally support your mask policy,' another said. 'It is small minded individuals who don't understand the reason for it. Covid is not a hoax. It is a serious problem. People are dying for God's sake. Suck it up and protect others.'
In response to the backlash last week, a Costco representative directed Business Insider to a message on the company's website from CEO Craig Jelinek.
'We know some members may find this inconvenient or objectionable, but under the circumstances we believe the added safety is worth any inconvenience,' Jelinek wrote. 'This is not simply a matter of personal choice; a face covering protects not just the wearer, but others too.'
[size=10][size=18]Comedian narrates exchange between Costco and customer boycott

Lo
[/size][/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 09 May 2020, 15:19

Bravo, Costco! Thumbs up!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 09 May 2020, 20:38

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8302597/Conservative-talk-radio-host-Dennis-Prager-bemoans-loss-racial-slurs-black-people.html

[size=34]Conservative talk-radio host Dennis Prager, 71, bemoans the loss of racial slurs in society to describe black people[/size]

• Dennis Prager from right-wing Salem Radio Network went on air to complain how society no longer uses offensive slurs coined during the era of slavery

• Prager, 71, went on to list various words that are no longer being used

• Twitter users were quick to roast Prager's preaching 

• Earlier this month he called the coronavirus lockdowns the 'greatest mistake in the history of humanity'

By JAMES GORDON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 00:44 EDT, 9 May 2020 | UPDATED: 03:24 EDT, 9 May 2020

Conservative radio talk show host Dennis Prager has taken to the airwaves to air his grievances about politically correctness, blasting the loss of society's use of racist language and offensive slurs. 
Prager, 71, who was born in Brooklyn and who hosts a show on the right-wing Salem Radio Network used his show to bemoan society no longer using racist language coined during eras of slavery and segregation.
'I'm going to start a movement to change the name Native Americans — not to mock Native Americans but mock people who change names all the time...' 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28185542-8302597-image-a-53_1588999064267

+4

Dennis Prager from right-wing Salem Radio Network went on air to complain how society no longer uses offensive slurs coined during the era of slavery
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28186036-8302597-image-a-54_1588999073364

+4

Prager, 71, went on to list various words that are no longer being used

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 FhIl1_IT_normal

Jason Campbell@JasonSCampbell

[ltr]Dennis Prager: "How many names have Blacks gone through in my lifetime?...What was wrong with Negro? What was wrong with colored? None of them, there's no problem with any of them"[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 SWWvso83uOpFblhU?format=jpg&name=small

8:49 PM - May 7, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

[ltr]

2,984 people are talking about this

[/ltr]

'How many names have Blacks gone through in my lifetime?...What was wrong with Negro? What was wrong with colored? African American? Black? Four different titles for the same human being. There's no problem with any of them,' Prager said in a clip from his radio show posted to Twitter. 
''You know, the NAACP is still the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People,' Prager said. 'And then African American — that changed, too. Does that have a dash, hyphen or not? I don't remember what was connoted by having a hyphen or not.' 
Earlier this year the controversial radio host complained that he was unable to use another racist insult. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28187158-8302597-image-a-53_1589000257146

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28187160-8302597-image-a-54_1589000260838

+4

Twitter users were quick to roast Prager's preaching

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28185568-8302597-image-a-58_1588999348278
Conservative talk show host Dennis Prager complained that he can’t use racist terms to describe black people anymore to his listeners and was quickly criticized on Twitter
'It is idiotic that you cannot say the N-word,' he said on his show in February  according to Media Matters.
'The left has made it impossible to say the N-word any longer. That's disgusting, it's a farce. It's the only word that you can't say in the English language,' he said.
 'Of course, you should never call anybody the N-word, that's despicable. But to say the word? You cannot even say that the word is despicable. You have to say 'the N-word.'  
'It's like conservatives don't consider the history of anything and lack basic empathy for those experiences,' wrote one Twitter user in response to the outburst. 
Twitter users were quick to roast Prager's preaching.
'Sir, you dropped your hood!' one posted as a reference to the headgear worn by the white supremacist hate group, the Ku Klux Klan.
'As a black woman, I often wonder why we live in the heads of white people like this. Then moms & granny constantly remind me that the folks who terrorized them back in the day are still very much alive today. Did he go through the names for white folks?' asked another online poster. 
Prager who was known to oppose marriage equality was lambasted last month when he called the coronavirus lockdowns the 'greatest mistake in the history of humanity' in a Twitter post. 
In recent weeks, Prager was attempting to push the drug hydroxychloroquine as a way of treating the coronavirus before calling the lockdown 'the greatest mistake' in history. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28186012-8302597-image-a-55_1588999242237

+4

In recent weeks, Prager was attempting to push the drug hydroxychloroquine as a way of treating the coronavirus before calling the lockdown 'the greatest mistake' in history
Read more:

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 09 May 2020, 20:49

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8303049/Plans-commuters-cycling-offices-tatters-slammed-madness.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed

[size=34]On your bike, Boris! Commuters rebel against being given a choice between dangerously crowded trains and being crushed by a truck on a bike as Tory mayor hopeful tells Sadiq Khan to pull his finger out and get tubes running[/size]

• Rail bosses are urgently planning to revive train routes which have been mothballed during the lockdown 

• Sadiq Khan's plan to encourage Londoners to cycle and walk to work has been branded 'madness'

• Social distancing rules will likely slash capacity on public transport and push people to drive to work

• An influx of motorists risks clogging up the nation's roads and hamstringing plans to get Britain back to work 

By JACK ELSOM and JACK MAIDMENT, DEPUTY POLITICAL EDITOR FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 10:25 EDT, 9 May 2020 | UPDATED: 13:53 EDT, 9 May 2020

Boris Johnson's back-to-work blueprint has already begun to unravel after the public poured cold water on hopes they could commute by bike. 
The government today announced a £2billion funding package to encourage people to cycle to work once lockdown is loosened.
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps told the daily Number 10 briefing his aim was to relax the strain on public transport, which will only run at a tenth of pre-lockdown capacity because of social distancing rules. 
Yet the proposal has already hit the buffers because workers have claimed it is impractical - and even potentially perilous for novice cyclists navigating busy city roads.
Many who live miles away from their workplaces stressed it would be impossible for them travel by bike or on foot, while others highlighted not all offices are kitted out with showers.
Mr Shapps is looking to overhaul the way millions of Britons commute because reduced train and bus services risk being overwhelmed.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has come under heavy fire for failing to increase capacity on the Tube ahead of an expected rise in passengers.
The Prime Minister is likely to sketch out a time-frame for workers to return when he sets out his road map from lockdown in an address to the nation tomorrow night.
But Londoners face the nightmare prospect of a crippled Underground network, which Mr Khan has previously said will not be back to full functioning for some weeks.    
Piling on the pressure, Shaun Bailey, Conservative candidate for Mayor, told MailOnline: 'The only way London can get back to work safely is if the Tubes are running at full capacity so social distancing is actually possible.'
He added: 'Londoners are past the point of excuses - what we need is a Mayor who will move heaven and earth to ensure TfL is ready to meet the increased demand.' 
Mr Khan is also urging people to cycle and walk to work, which politicians have branded 'madness' and rubbished the notion of people in outer boroughs commuting into central London in this way. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28193388-8303049-The_PM_s_plan_is_expected_to_encourage_people_to_cycle_or_walk_t-a-24_1589024139610

+11

The PM's plan is expected to encourage people to cycle or walk to work if they can, with firms also due to be told to provide workers with face masks. Cyclists are pictured at Buckingham Palace today
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28182386-8303049-Commuters_are_still_using_public_transport_including_the_Norther-a-19_1589024062716

+11

Commuters are still using public transport including the Northern Line in London, but there is a lot more space compared to passenger numbers before the coronavirus lockdown
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28193396-8303049-Boris_Johnson_pictured_in_St_James_Park_in_London_this_morning_w-a-23_1589024125260

+11

Boris Johnson, pictured in St James' Park in London this morning, will set out his lockdown exit plan tomorrow night
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28196702-8303049-image-m-45_1589031498456

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28196698-8303049-image-a-46_1589031506823

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28197168-8303049-image-a-70_1589032623250

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28196814-8303049-image-m-69_1589032615144

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28196704-8303049-image-m-53_1589031576669

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28196696-8303049-image-a-54_1589031589194

Yet the trailed proposal has already been picked apart by workers claiming it is infeasible and even potentially perilous for novice cyclists trying to navigate busy city roads

[size=34]Teenage cyclists fights for life after suspected hit-and-run[/size]

A teenage cyclist is fighting for his life after being hit by two cars in quick succession on Friday night.
The 16-year-old boy was cycling along Streatham High Road in south London when he was involved in the suspected double hit-and-run, police said.
He was found by officers critically injured at the scene and taken to hospital, where he remains in a life-threatening condition.
It is believed he was in collision with a car and, seconds later, struck by a second car travelling close behind.
The drivers of both vehicles failed to stop at the scene, although two men were later arrested at separate locations in the local area.
Both men - each aged in their 20s - remain in custody at police stations in south London.
The two drivers are not thought to be known to each other, but enquiries as to the full circumstances are ongoing. 

Mr Shapps said the first phase of the £2bn package would be £250million emergency funding to shore up cycle path safety and create wider pavements for walking.
He said he was confident Britons would embrace this new 'fitter' lifestyle and pointed to the 70 per cent uptick in cycling since lockdown begun. 
But it was met with fierce push-back from the public who pointed out the flaws. 
One person said: 'I'd like to cycle to work every day Prime Minister, but as a novice having to navigate dual carriageways and the like I wouldn't last a day.'
Another said: 'More than happy to cycle to work if the government can promise I won't be squashed by a lorry on the way through central London...'   
A Tory MP told MailOnline: 'It sounds like a very London-centric policy. In most parts of the country it is not an option. 
'We are in a situation where if you can do that you probably already do.
'It almost sounds a bit gimmicky. We should be looking at ways to make it easier for people to drive at the moment because that actually from a health point of view is better.' 
In London, the Mayor has poured cold water on hopes the Tube network will be brought back to full functioning to accommodate the return of workers.  
Transport for London (TfL) will require four weeks to prepare for the easing of lockdown as 7,000 staff have been furloughed and a fifth are self-isolating. 
TfL said it is currently 'running the maximum frequency' possible, but even during lockdown the Tube has been seen rammed.  
Nurses have even been forced to fork out for Uber rides across London for fear of becoming contaminated on their normal Tube journey to work.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28201018-8303049-image-m-76_1589042629475

+11

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps told the daily Number 10 briefing his aim was to relax the strain on public transport, which will only run at a tenth of pre-lockdown capacity because of social distancing rules
[size=10][size=18]Grant Shapps reveal changes to public transport when lockdown lifts

Load
[/size][/size]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28199096-8303049-image-a-78_1589042679367

+11

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28199338-8303049-image-a-80_1589042839989

+11

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28201152-8303049-image-a-82_1589043009421

+11

The latest real-time information from TomTom suggests more trips have been made on the roads
To overcome what is predicted to be an 80 per cent reduction of London's pre-crisis public transport capacity, Mr Khan is urging people to cycle and walk to work.
Yet City Hall assembly members have tore into the plan and rubbished the notion residents of outer boroughs could cycle and walk into central London.
Conservative GLA transport spokesman Keith Prince said: 'We urgently need the Mayor to produce a realistic plan to get London's public transport moving safely again. 
'Increasing cycling and walking will certainly be part of the solution, but it is complete madness to think they can replace millions of journeys on London's Tube and buses.
'Some of Sadiq Khan's Streetspace plan might work in Central London, but it won't work for the majority of those living in Outer London. 
'It's simply not possible for many Londoners who live in the outer boroughs to cycle or walk into work. 
'If the Mayor wants them to avoid using cars, he needs to make a plan to get London's public transport moving safely now. 
He added: 'In the coming days, the government is looking to ease the lockdown. If the Mayor hasn't prepared Transport for London to safely transport thousands more commuters, he's jeopardising people's health and our city's economic recovery and putting jobs at risk.'   
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28150124-8303049-The_London_Underground_was_busy_this_morning_with_some_passenger-a-21_1589024075926

+11

The London Underground was busy this morning with some passengers seated and some standing on a carriage at Bond Street station
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28194962-8303049-image-a-40_1589026408040

+11

Eager to steer clear of trains, concerns have been raised that many commuters could instead drive to work and clog up the country's roads (the North Circular at Arnos Grove in North London pictured)
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28033708-8303049-Under_a_two_metre_social_distancing_rule_on_carriages_and_platfo-a-26_1589025643046

+11

Under a two-metre social distancing rule on carriages and platforms, the Underground will only be able to accommodate 50,000 passengers boarding every 15 minutes - a massive reduction on the 320,000 people every 15 minutes during normal peak times
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28079492-8303049-A_graphic_of_how_a_London_bus_could_look_with_15_passengers_spac-a-29_1589025652512

+11

A graphic of how a London bus could look with 15 passengers spaced out for social distancing

[size=34]Employees 'could get legal right to work from home'[/size]

Ministers are considering enshrining a right to work from home into UK law in order to better prepare the nation for post-lockdown life. 
The merits of such a move are being weighed up by officials at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. 
It is thought the plans are being modelled on existing rules that allow parents to request flexible working.  
Ministers believe a legal right to work from home could be beneficial for a number of reasons. 
Firstly, it would reduce the number of staff physically present, making it easier for firms to adhere to social distancing. 
Secondly, it would stop workers from feeling compelled to go to an office they do not believe is safe. 
Third, it would reduce pressure on the UK transport network.
One minister told The Telegraph the move 'makes complete sense'. 

Grant Shapps has also swung behind cycling and walking as a workaround to limited public transport.
The Transport Secretary is due to use his appearance at the daily Downing Street press conference this afternoon to announce a major cash injection to improve cycle lanes.  
Transport unions have threatened to scupper any move to get too many people back onto trains and buses as chiefs have said they 'will not compromise on the health, safety and livelihoods of our members'. 
Among measures under consideration to get London moving are asking commuters to wear face masks, strict queing at stations, asking employees to stagger shifts, increasing the price of rush hour fares. 
If two-metre social distancing remains in place, buses will only be able to take 15 passengers, rather than 85.
Outside of the capital, rail bosses are urgently planning to revive national train routes which have been mothballed during the lockdown. 
A blueprint to flesh out reduced timetables - which are operating only half of pre-lockdown journeys - is being drawn up in time for Monday, May 18, when swathes of the workforce are expected to troop back to offices. 
Social distancing rules will hamstring preparations to beef up train capacity as observing the two-metre rule will in place to enforce the two-metre rule - which could slash carriage space by 90 per cent.
Eager to steer clear of trains, concerns have been raised that many commuters could instead drive to work and clog up the country's roads.  
A perfect storm of traffic jams and reduced train capacity risks hamstringing the Prime Minister's plans to get people back to work in the coming weeks.Mr Johnson will tomorrow night set out a road map to loosen restrictions that will likely include plans to fire up the flagging economy and give a boost to shuttered businesses.  
A spokesperson for the Mayor of London said: 'Sadiq is working extremely hard with Transport for London, the Government and other partners to prepare public transport in London for the easing of lockdown. 
'These plans are at an advanced stage - as demonstrated by the unprecedented StreetSpace project launched last week.  
They added: 'We need to be honest with Londoners that life simply will not be returning to how it was before. Everyone who can work from home will have to continue doing so for the foreseeable future. 
'Many more people will have to walk and cycle to work. 'We will all have to continue to avoid making unnecessary journeys. 
'London's planning for the easing of lockdown will be made much easier when the Government is open and transparent about exactly and when restrictions can be lifted – which has a fundamental impact on different transport options.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 10 May 2020, 03:07

Fired government scientist finally speaks out, rips Trump for response to outbreak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJz14KkeziU

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 10 May 2020, 15:59

So this isn't at all suspicious!!??

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/07/851976464/new-postmaster-general-is-top-gop-fundraiser - who knows nothing at all about the postal service. Obviously!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 10 May 2020, 16:27

PAN - Not suspicious at all. Typical Trump cronyism, which we've gotten quite used to since the Washington establishment has completely abdicated its responsibilities. At least this guy has had  some connection to the postal service besides what comes to his mailbox.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 10 May 2020, 17:20

POLITICS

[size=46]New Postmaster General Is Top GOP Fundraiser[/size]

[size=16]May 7, 20201:28 PM ET
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 Npr_17902709_full_sq-175355e74f5d022df210269cdcef9074060ae5b9-s100-c85
BRIAN NAYLOR

[/size]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 Gettyimages-1211465192_wide-c6c339d81da1288a8cf011fef802fdc8825efa36-s800-c85

The United States Postal Service is getting a new postmaster general. Louis DeJoy is set to take over in June.
Paul Ratje/AFP via Getty Images
Louis DeJoy, a North Carolina businessman who has given millions of dollars to the Republican Party, including the Trump campaign, has been named the nation's new postmaster general.
The U.S. Postal Service's Board of Governors made the announcement Wednesday night.
"Louis DeJoy understands the critical public service role of the United States Postal Service, and the urgent need to strengthen it for future generations," said Robert Duncan, chair of the Board of Governors. "The Board appreciated Louis' depth of knowledge on the important issues facing the Postal Service and his desire to work with all of our stakeholders on preserving and protecting this essential institution."
DeJoy said in a statement that he looks forward "to working with the supporters of the Postal Service in Congress and the Administration to ensure the Postal Service remains an integral part of the United States government. Postal workers are the heart and soul of this institution, and I will be honored to work alongside them and their unions."

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 Runbeckphoenix-9528_sq-844e4afeb728efc643860f67a8053cb6ddcdb22a-s300-c85

ELECTIONS

Ballot Printers Increase Capacity To Prepare For Mail Voting Surge

The New York native was chairman and CEO of New Breed Logistics, which among other things worked with the Postal Service. He is expected to begin serving in his new role effective June 15.
DeJoy has contributed more than $1.2 million to the Trump Victory Fund, and millions more to Republican Party organizations and candidates, according to Federal Election Commission records. He was also in charge of fundraising for the Republican National Convention.
DeJoy's appointment was immediately criticized by Democrats.
"The idea that we would appoint and accept the appointment of a partisan political donor with no credentials ... is reckless and irresponsible ... and a stick in the eye by Trump to a service Americans count on every day," Rep. Gerry Connolly, D-Va., told NPR.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 Ap_20093715401853_sq-4fdb936c388724470d7de0622eb7f517d4377bfe-s300-c85

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 10 May 2020, 17:23

I hope he is honest , and not willing to break the law for Trump I mean mail in ballots disappearing or getting lost in the mail.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 11 May 2020, 04:04

annemarie, DeJoy has given millions to a political party that only cares about winning and power.  He’s given millions to the Trump campaign.  I think Congressman Connelly is absolutely right on this one.  I worry about our November election and what strategy Trump is planning to disrupt the voting process ... especially if by early fall the numbers are looking bad for Trump.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Mon 11 May 2020, 10:35

As I look across the Atlantic to the next parish .... frighteningly I think Finton has done a pretty accurate assessment of Mr T....

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyDemocrats/videos/228212285272426/?vh=e&d=n
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 11 May 2020, 10:50

Trump said that he didn't want more people to vote because the Democrats will win - so once again he brings in a friend with no experience running a nationwide conglomerate who will probably do his level best to make postage so expensive that it will put many less well off and not so able voting and then Trump will blame Covid 19

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/30/trump-republican-party-voting-reform-coronavirus

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 11 May 2020, 16:02

I'm beginning to believe that if Trump is still alive on election day this country might not survive. If he wins, it's a dictatorship and if he loses it could well be civil war. Yes, parts of his base are that insane.

Unless he does something so totally outrageous to his base that they finally desert him - and considering what he's already done I can't see that happening - he won't leave office willingly, no matter what the vote says. If the election results end up in court, we might have an "interim" drumpf presidency and a total meltdown of our political system.

How hard is it to become a citizen of the UK? Sad
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 11 May 2020, 21:33

Yes I see real turmoil in this election.  Whoever wins there will be charges from both sides of either voter suppression or rigged election.  I can easily see some form of a civil war taking place.  Just look at pictures from Michigan when there were protests at the state capital over opening the state ... men with weapons slung over their shoulders standing inside the building with police hovering.  Trump loses the election and I can see his fanatical supporters
coming out of the woodwork to right what they believe is a President wronged.  I shudder at the thought but I feel that’s where we are headed.  Hope I’m wrong.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 11 May 2020, 22:33

Maybe a bit more of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIlEZuAwO5E

Lizzy, easier if your spouse is British or you're working here, and after five years of living here, you can apply for a Permanent Resident licence, and after that.......

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 12 May 2020, 15:42

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8310223/Fauci-says-reopening-U-S-economy-soon-lead-needless-deaths-NYT.html

[size=34]Dr. Anthony Fauci will tell the Senate at 10am today that opening US economy too soon will lead to 'needless suffering and death'[/size]

• Fauci, and four other government doctors, will testify at Congress on Tuesday

• He says his core point is 'the danger of trying to open the country prematurely'

• The infectious diseases experts said: 'This will not only result in needless suffering and death, but would set us back on our quest to return to normal'

• States have started reopening, despite not meeting the 'Open America Again' checkpoints - the three phase White House plan to guide states in opening up

By ROSS IBBETSON FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 01:07 EDT, 12 May 2020 | UPDATED: 08:19 EDT, 12 May 2020

Dr Anthony Fauci will today warn Senators that opening the US economy too soon will lead to 'needless suffering and death.'  
Fauci, America's top infectious diseases expert, and four other senior government doctors will testify remotely before the Senate Health Education, Labor and Pensions Committee.
In an email to the New York Times, Fauci said his main intention was to get across 'the danger of trying to open the country prematurely.'
He added: 'If we skip over the checkpoints in the guidelines to: "Open America Again," then we risk the danger of multiple outbreaks throughout the country. This will not only result in needless suffering and death, but would actually set us back on our quest to return to normal.' 
It will be Fauci's first appearance before Congress - and it is a chance for him to address lawmakers and the public without Donald Trump at his side. 
Senate Minority leader Chuck Schumer has urged Fauci to 'let it rip' when he testifies, calling it an opportunity for the American people to hear 'the unvarnished truth without the president lurking over his shoulder.' 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28290178-8310223-image-a-5_1589268711188

+5

Dr Anthony Fauci will today warn Senators that opening the US economy too soon will lead to 'needless suffering and death.'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28290300-8310223-image-a-7_1589268727345

+5

It will be Fauci's first appearance before Congress - and it is a chance for him to address lawmakers and the public without President Trump by his side.
[size=10][size=18]'We have prevailed,' Trump speaks on coronavirus testing progress

L
[/size][/size]

Schumer said yesterday: 'Until now, we've mostly heard from the members of the coronavirus task force through the distorted lens of the White House press conference where the president often prevents them from answering fully, interrupts their response, or even contradicts their fact-based evidence.'
Fauci has been largely out of public view in the last week since the President put a pause on the coronavirus task force briefings.
The doctor has also been self-isolating after possible exposure to the disease. Fauci, 79, has tested negative but is working from home after Mike Pence's press secretary Katie Miller, wife of Trump aide Stephen Miller, tested positive for the virus on Friday.
In his comments, Fauci referred to a three-phase White House plan 'Open America Again,' which guides states wishing to reopen their economies.
The recommendations include that states should have a 'downward trajectory of positive tests' or 'documented cases' over a 14-day period.
States also need to conduct robust contact tracing, and 'sentinel surveillance' testing of asymptomatic people in vulnerable populations. 
Many states have started to reopen their economies without meeting the White House threshold.
It comes as the US has recorded more than 1.38 million infections and more than 81,000 deaths, while the worldwide the number is nearly 4.2 million infections and more than 285,000 deaths. 
'We're not reopening based on science,' Dr Thomas R. Frieden, a former director at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told the Times. 'We're reopening based on politics, ideology and public pressure. And I think it's going to end badly.' 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28286502-8310223-image-a-43_1589264125666

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28286498-8310223-image-a-44_1589264127937

+5

[size=18]Doctor admits coronavirus pandemic scenario keeps him up at night

Loade
[/size]
Experts have said that rather than a second wave striking in the fall, America could be seized upon by a series of wavelets - acute eruptions of the virus in communities throughout the country which will be impossible to predict. 
Trump's efforts to project a confident front in setting out his 'Open America Again' strategy have been hampered by the virus hitting the West Wing. 
As well as Fauci, Dr Stephen Hahn, commissioner of the US Food and Drug Administration, and Dr Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, have both gone into two weeks of self-isolation.
Two White House staffers tested positive, Miller the Pence spokeswoman, and a US Navy officer serving as one of Trump's valets.
The President was 'spooked' by one of his most personal staff - who serves him food without a mask on - having contracted the disease, a source told The Times. 
The Associated Press have reported that Trump is unwilling to wear a mask because it will 'send the wrong message' and impact his re-election chances. 
His son-in-law Jared Kushner told Fox News the United States had crossed 9.30 million virus tests, with more than 394,00 done on Monday.
The rise in infections has put pressure on efforts to boost testing capacity with health officials, including Fauci, having flagged the challenge of testing those in greatest need.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28286494-8310223-image-a-3_1589285868278

+5

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 12 May 2020, 18:30

https://people.com/tv/tina-fey-tears-up-after-telethon-raises-115m-for-new-yorkers-affected-by-covid-19/

[size=48]Tina Fey Tears Up as Telethon Raises $115M for New Yorkers Affected by COVID-19: 'Is This Real?'
"What a great day for New York," Tina Fey said
By Dave Quinn 
May 12, 2020 09:28 AM
[/size]

W: FULL EPISODE MAY 12, 2020
Tina Fey was brought to tears over the generosity of Americans who reached out to help New Yorkers affected by the coronavirus pandemic on Monday night.
The Emmy winner and Saturday Night Live alum, 49, was hosting Rise Up New York! The Robin Hood Relief Benefit — a star-studded virtual telethon raising money for the city's leading poverty-fighting organization — when she got emotional while reading the final tally.
"Is this real?" she asked producers, seeing the number for the first time. "Okay. $115 million. We did this. You did this. We are difference makers. $115 million! What a great day for New York."

"Thank you, for everyone, who gave and gave and gave, all over the world," Fey said, holding back tears. "There's so much more to do. Please visit robinhood.org. Donate. Share it. Tell your friends. Please. Let's keep this going. Robin Hood's site will say open after this telethon is over because this battle is far from over. Thank you."

RELATED: SNL Alums Virtually Gather to Honor Late Music Producer and 'Wonderful Friend' Hal Willner

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F20%2F2020%2F05%2F12%2Ftina-fey-1[url=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/link/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Ftv%2Ftina-fey-tears-up-after-telethon-raises-115m-for-new-yorkers-affected-by-covid-19%2F%3Futm_source%3Dpinterest.com%26utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial-share-article%26utm_content%3D20200512%26utm_term%3Dundefined&media=https%3A%2F%2Fimagesvc.meredithcorp.io%2Fv3%2Fmm%2Fimage%3Furl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F20%2F2020%2F05%2F12%2Ftina-fey-1.jpg&description=Tina Fey Tears Up as Telethon Raises %24115M for New Yorkers Affected by COVID-19%3A %27Is This Real%3F%27][/url]

Tina Fey

CBS NEWS/YOUTUBE

Fey, who hosted the relief benefit from her old stomping grounds of 30 Rockefeller Center, was accompanied by A-listers like Jennifer Lopez, Robert De Niro, Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, Matthew Broderick, Chris Rock, Jake Gyllenhaal, Sutton Foster, Rosie Perez, Jimmy Fallon, Salt-N-Pepa, Fab 5 Freddy, Trevor Noah, Danny Meyer, David Chang and Beastie Boys rappers Mike D and Ad-Rock.
"COVID-19 has been an unprecedented global event, but no place has been hit harder than New York," Fey explained. "Hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers are out of work and 2 million of our neighbors are now going hungry. We're going to honor this incredible city and show how we can rise up and help our neighbors in need."
Lopez chimed in, "New York, I know your strength. We're going to get through this, but we need to make sure we take care of all our neighbors, including our children."

"Our city is under attack, but we’ve been here before," added De Niro. "In the last 20 years, both 9/11 and Hurricane Sandy. You can take your best shot but you cannot break our spirit."
The special had already raised $1.5 million since it was announced in March and the additional $113.5 million came in as a result of the benefit special.

The event also featured some A-list performances. Mariah Carey kicked things off by singing her 1992 hit, "Make It Happen," after assuring those in her native state, "We can make it through this together."
Sting took on The Police's 1979 hit, "Message in a Bottle," while Jon Bon Jovi performed his band's 2000 tune, "It's My Life." Students from Staten Island's PS22 Chorus also gave an emotional rendition of Andra Day’s "Rise Up," while Alicia Keys sang her new single, "Good Job."
Barbra Streisand, Audra McDonald and Patti LuPone led a tribute to Broadway, which LuPone theorized would likely be the last industry in the city to come back.
Their words introduced a performance of the Kander and Ebb classic "New York, New York" — the anthem made popular by Liza Minelli (and later, Frank Sinatra). This time, theater stars Lin-Manuel Miranda, Andrew Rannells, Cynthia Erivo, Karen Olivo, Ben Platt and Christopher Jackson covered the hit.
Spike Lee spoke optimistically about the return of sports, while New York Giants greats Eli Manning, Michael Strahan, Justin Tuck and Phil Simms announced a sweepstakes that would allow one fan to get a Super Bowl ring and play a game of touch football with an NFL star of their choosing in their own backyard.
Stories of courageous frontline workers and those affected by the crisis were told throughout the benefit and Mayor Bill de Blasio, Governor Andrew Cuomo, along with former mayor Michael Bloomberg also made appearances.
The evening ended with Billie Joel performing a touching tribute to the Big Apple with his song "Miami 2017." The performance featured a corresponding light show on the Empire State Building.

All donations from the virtual telethon, which was broadcast across multiple networks and iHeartMedia radio channels, will go to Robin Hood's efforts to provide food, shelter, mental health, education, financial and legal services to those in need.
As for Tuesday morning, more than 1,354,300 people in the United States have been infected with the coronavirus and at least 80,600 have died, according to a New York Times database.
In New York City alone, there have been at least 190,546 cases and 19,563 deaths.
To donate to Robin Hood, visit robinhood.org.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 13 May 2020, 04:03

Mitt Romney rips into Trump administration for ramping up testing MONTHS late

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1IMM7mnYZ8

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 13 May 2020, 18:40

Yes, I saw that - and he's right.

So tomorrow Rick Bright, the scientist Trump sacked, will be giving evidence to the Senate. Should be interesting!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 13 May 2020, 19:18

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8315719/Liz-Cheney-calls-Dr-Fauci-one-finest-public-servants-Rand-Pauls-slight.html

[size=34]Senior Republican Liz Cheney calls Dr. Fauci 'one of the finest public servants we have ever had' after Rand Paul accused expert of wanting to be 'the end all' of coronavirus[/size]

• 'His only interest is saving lives,' Cheney wrote

• The daughter of the former vice president is a House GOP leader

• Defense came after GOP Sen. Rand Paul warned Fauci shouldn't be 'the end all' 

• Fauci responded that he wasn't the 'end all' and that he provides 'advice according to the best scientific evidence'

By GEOFF EARLE, DEPUTY U.S. POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 12:43 EDT, 13 May 2020 | UPDATED: 13:01 EDT, 13 May 2020

House Republican Rep. Liz Cheney is defending Dr. Anthony Fauci as one of the nation's 'finest public servants' after fellow Republican Sen. Rand Paul warned the disease expert shouldn't be the 'end all' on coronavirus policy decisions.
Cheney, who holds the Number Three leadership position among House Republicans as chair of the party conference, hailed Fauci as a non-partisan figure and said Americans should be thanking him.    
'Dr. Fauci is one of the finest public servants we have ever had,' Cheney wrote. 'He is not a partisan. His only interest is saving lives. We need his expertise and his judgment to defeat this virus. All Americans should be thanking him. Every day,' she wrote.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28346680-8315719-image-a-8_1589387191392

+4

'Dr. Fauci is one of the finest public servants we have ever had,' wrote Rep. Liz Cheney, a Wyoming Republican
Cheney, a Wyoming Republican, backed up Fauci after Paul, a Kentucky Republican, provided some of the fireworks during Tuesday's Senate hearing by challenging Fauci, who was participating remotely due to exposure to an aide to Vice President Mike Pence, who tested positive for the disease.
Paul, who previously had the coronavirus himself, was among the Republican participants who did not wear a mask during his own live participation. 
The spat happened when Fauci criticized Republican Senator Rand Paul for 'cavalier' comments on reopening schools. Paul said schools might reopen this fall because of the 'low mortality' rate in children from the coronavirus.  
'As much as I respect you, Dr. Fauci, I don't think you're the end all - I don't think you're the one person who gets to make a decision,' Paul said during his five minutes to question the infectious disease expert.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28346660-8315719-image-a-14_1589387248821

Cheney defended Fauci as 'one of the finest public servants' in the nation's history
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28348528-8315719-image-a-11_1589387234262

+4

Fauci called in to participate in a Senate hearing on the coronavirus, and eschewed Paul's 'end all' label
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28346666-8315719-image-a-12_1589387238232

+4

Paul, who preiously tested positive for the coronavirus, went after Fauci during a Senate hearing, saying he wasn't the 'end all'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28346670-8315719-image-a-13_1589387242480

+4

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, top, speaks via teleconference during a Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee hearing in Washington, D.C., U.S., on Tuesday, May 12, 2020
[size=10][size=18]Fauci slams 'cavalier' Rand Paul after he calls for schools to open

L
[/size][/size]

Paul, an ophthalmologist, pointed to low mortality among children as he made the case for letting reopening proceed, as President Donald Trump has also called for. 
'We need to observe with an open mind what went on in Sweden where the kids kept going to school. Basically I don't think there's anybody arguing what happened in Sweden is an unacceptable result, I think people are intrigued by it.'  
He said in rural states, like Kentucky, 'we never really reached any sort of pandemic levels.' Kentucky has more than 6,000 infections and more than 300 confirmed deaths due to the coronavirus.

'And I think the one-size-fits-all that we're going to have a national strategy and nobody is going to go to school is kind of ridiculous.'
'So I think we ought to have a little bit of humility in our belief that we know what's best for the economy,' he said.  'We can listen to your advice, but there are people on the other side who say there's not going to be a surge and we can safely reopen the economy. And the facts will bear this out,' Paul said.  
The comment prompted Fauci – who has developed a national fan base complete with bobblehead dolls, shirts and masks imprinted with his name. Fauci heads the National Institute of Alergy and Infectious Diseases, and earned a national reputation during the AIDS epidemic. 
'First of all Senator Paul, and thank you for your comments, I have never made myself out to be the end-all and only voice in this. I'm a scientist, physician and public health official. I give advice according to the best scientific evidence,' Fauci said.   
'I don't give advice on economic things. I don't give advice on anything other than public health,' he said, defending his record.
'The second thing, is that you used the word we should be humble about what we don't know and I think that falls under the fact that we don't know everything about this virus,' Fauci continued. 'And we really better be very careful particularly when it comes to children.' 
Fauci has given a series of TV interviews since the outbreak began. He previously was a regular presence at the White House during televised press conferences, but has not attended recent briefings. He is currently practicing social distancing after being exposed to a members of Mike Pence's staff who tested positive for the virus.

Share or comment on this article: 

Liz Cheney calls Dr. Fauci 'one of the finest public servants' after Rand Paul's slight

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Wed 13 May 2020, 19:43

affraid

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 13 May 2020, 23:58

Just wondering if Rand Paul could be the source of the infection in the White House. Wouldn't that be ironic?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 14 May 2020, 19:27

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8320457/U-S-medical-stockpile-just-weeks-supplies-start-coronavirus-outbreak.html

[size=34]Donald Trump's administration reveals U.S. medical stockpile was down to just a week's worth of gear when coronavirus hit – despite early assurances that the nation had 'tremendous' supplies[/size]

• There were just 1-3 weeks of supply when the coronavirus hit

• Hospitals and nurses began using makeshift supplies

• n95 masks were not replenished after flu outbreak

• Now there is a plan to procure 1 billion of them 

By GEOFF EARLE, DEPUTY U.S. POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 13:01 EDT, 14 May 2020 | UPDATED: 13:55 EDT, 14 May 2020

The national medical stockpile was down to just a few weeks of supplies when the coronavirus outbreak occurred, according to Trump administration officials who said the nation's cupboards are now filling up.  
Hospitals around the country were overrun and warning about a lack of supplies as the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic hit. The U.S. eventually turned to its national medical stockpile, with administration officials offering frequent assurances that there was enough equipment.
But a look-back has revealed just how close to the edge the nation's medical system was operating. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28398250-8320457-image-a-10_1589475508204

+5

President Donald Trump speaks to the press as he departs the White House in Washington, DC, on May 14, 2020. - Trump is traveling to Allentown, Pennsylvania, to tour a medical supply company. A medical stockpile was down to just a few weeks supply, according to an administration official who briefed reporters
'When COVID broke out in the U.S. we had 1-3 weeks worth of supply for most of the items in our stockpile,' a senior administration official told reporters on a briefing call Thursday.
'That was based on a retrospective look at how much the surge demand was for certain products.'
Part of the problem is that the country sent out millions of the specialized masks during the H1-N1 flu outbreak – and never replenished. 
'When we started addressing COVID in January, we had 13 million n95 masks in the stockpile,' said the official. 'That's precisely the number we had right after H1N1 in 2009, 2010. So it was severely depleted after H1N1, never replenished.'
Now, with several months to get supplies on line, the stockpile is getting full again, according to officials.
'We are building the stockpiling such that we are fortified against a resurgence of COVID, a potential resurgence of COVID,' said an official, in part due to a 'tremendous' expansion of domestic capacity.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 26005232-8320457-Donald_Trump_told_American_consumers_to_stop_buying_and_hoarding-a-18_1589478737016

+5

Donald Trump told American consumers to stop buying and hoarding necessities as fears of the coronavirus outbreak rocks the nation March 15. His administration vouched for 'tremendous' supplies in the medical stockpile
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28399632-8320457-Mandatory_Credit_Photo_by_Lev_Radin_Pacific_Press_REX_10583563a_-a-22_1589478795163

+5

Governor Andrew Cuomo speaks to the media and tours newly opened drive through COVID-19 mobile testing center organized by Northwell hospital at Glen Island Park, New Rochelle, New York Coronavirus outbreak, USA - 13 Mar 2020
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28399648-8320457-image-a-21_1589478782138

+5

A woman wearing a protective mask is seen in Union Square on March 9, 2020 in New York City. There are now 20 confirmed coronavirus cases in the city including a 7-year-old girl in the Bronx
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28399640-8320457-image-a-23_1589478833864

+5

Medical personnel from the Somerville Hospital prepare tests for drive-thru coronavirus testing in Somerville, Massachusetts, USA, 18 March 2020. According to the latest figures from the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC), there have been at least 7,301 confirmed cases and 116 deaths from the pandemic COVID-19 disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus in the US so far, although the number of tests has been strictly limited
Said another senior administration official: 'We had to go into intense mitigation early on. It was because we were fearful of not having the hospital capacity, not having the ventilator capacity, not having enough critical supplies not having enough tests. I think that now that we've caught up on all these items, we're making sure that as we go into the fall we're in a position where America never has to shut down again.'
 It wasn't just just specialized masks and ventilators that were low.
'Of all the items that a COVID patient in the hospital consumed during a length of stay, we only carried 28 percent of stock-keeping units. We didn't' carry a lot of critical care drugs,' said a senior administration official.
'We did not carry testing supplies. These were never in the strategic national stockpile,' the official continued.  
The stark look-back comes after the administration provided reassurances to the public when the impact of the virus hit. 
Health and Human Services Secretary said there were 'tremendous' supplies when DailyMail.com asked him about it during a March 15 coronavirus task force briefing. 
'We don't disclose concrete numbers on particular items for national security purposes,' he said.
'Obviously this is an unprecedented challenge, unprecedented,' Azar continued, keeping it vague. 'And so we will work to increase the supplies of personal protective equipment of ventilators of field medical units, hospitals.'
'We have tremendous supplies,' he added. 'But we want to acquire more. And that's thanks to the bipartisan work of Congress funding the emergency supplemental that gives us the money to scale up production here and abroad. And we're doing that.'
Now, there are plans to amass a stunning 1 billion n95 masks to protect against a potential outbreak in the fall or later.
'At the start of this pandemic we had 13m N95 masks. We have an Aspiration to actually have a billion of those,' said a senior official.
'We're not going to have all of those in the next 90 days for the fall but We do anticipate having 300 million, so you can do the math,' the official said. 
There were 2 million medical gowns. Now there are plans for up to 7 million of them. There were no critical care drugs for people on ventilators.  
'We will have millions of milliliters of those,' said the official, to 'be able to take care of any type of surge we anticipate in the fall and beyond.' 
'That is what is going to be stocked to take care of the American people,' the official concluded.
White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany brandished a document called the 'Pandemic Crisis Action Plan' Thursday as she accompanied Trump on a trip to Pennsylvania. 
She said of a pandemic preparedness plan left by the Obama administration: 'It was insufficient, wasn't going to work. [What this] administration did, and leadership of President Trump, is an entire 2019 pandemic preparedness report. Beyond that we did a full exercise on pandemic preparedness in August of last year, and had an entire after-action report put together. In other words, the Obama-Biden was superseded by President Trump-style pandemic preparedness response.' 

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 14 May 2020, 19:47

I'm not sure this article is going to reassure anyone either....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/14/where-is-the-cdc-trump-covid-19-pandemic

And Rick Bright's evidence today didn't really paint a rosy picture....

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 14 May 2020, 20:45

PAN - There's nothing surprising in the article or in Bright's (or anyone else's) evidence and statements. drumpf's response to the crisis has been practically non-existant, except to sideline and insult anyone who doesn't support his blithering stupidity.

We know that there's a lot we don't know about this virus. We know that re-opening everything too soon is going to cost a lot of people their lives. We know it will be a long time before things reach anything like normal. Unfortunately, too many of us feel they can't/don't want to wait - our idiot president among them. I honestly don't know what's going to happen here. I just keep hoping his  covid-infected valet spits in his food.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 15 May 2020, 20:59

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8324533/Trump-says-gave-officials-option-wear-masks-Rose-Garden-event.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed

[size=34]'I gave them the option.' Donald Trump appears with unmasked officials despite Dr. Fauci standing behind him wearing one - then says it only kills a 'tiny percentage'[/size]

• President Trump said he made mask-wearing optional at a Friday event in the White House's Rose Garden 

• 'We've all been tested and we're quite a distance away and we're outdoors, so I told them, I gave them the option and they could wear it or not,' Trump said 

• He added, 'So you can blame it on me,' as he appeared without a mask, as did Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar 

• Drs. Anthony Fauci, Deborah Birx, Surgeon General Jerome Adams, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and other officials all sported masks 

• At the event that was dedicated to vaccines, Trump noted that the coronavirus killed a 'very, very small percentage' of people  

By NIKKI SCHWAB, SENIOR U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 14:25 EDT, 15 May 2020 | UPDATED: 14:30 EDT, 15 May 2020

President Trump said he made mask-wearing optional at a Friday afternoon Rose Garden event. 
Trump appeared mask-less, along with Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, while both Drs. Anthony Fauci and Deborah Birx sported masks. 
'We've all been tested, I've been tested, we've all been tested and we're quite a distance away and we're outdoors, so I told them, I gave them the option and they could wear it or not,' Trump explained when asked about the inconsistent appearance of officials. 'So you can blame it on me,' Trump said. 
'I gave them the option, they could wear it or not,' he repeated. 
The president remarked of the coronavirus that it kills a 'very, very small percentage' of people.
'I say it all the time, it's a tiny percentage,' he said. 'The vast majority - many people don't even know they have it.' 
COVID-19 has left more than 86,000 Americans dead.  
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28443840-8324533-image-a-133_1589565633762

+5

President Trump again appeared without a mask during a White House Rose Garden event on vaccines Friday. He told reporters he gave officials the option to wear a mask since they all had been tested, were standing several feet away from one another and were outside 
[size=10][size=18]Trump says he gave officials a 'choice' to wear masks

L
[/size][/size]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28443594-8324533-image-a-129_1589565253462

+5

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar (left) went mask-less at the Rose Garden event, while Dr. Anthony Fauci (right) wore a mask 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28443850-8324533-image-a-131_1589565618930

+5

The Surgeon General Jerome Adams also decided to wear a mask to Friday's event in the White House Rose Garden 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28443854-8324533-image-a-130_1589565611213

+5

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin wore a black face mask at Friday's White House event in the Rose Garden 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28443842-8324533-image-a-132_1589565627768

+5

Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Michael Caputo (left) talks with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield (right) through their masks in the Rose Garden Friday 
Trump had gathered a group in the Rose Garden Friday to give the American public an update on vaccines. He, again, predicted that one would be available by the end of the year. 
The president's remarks and then his back-and-forth with masked reporters was accompanied by the soundtrack of honking truckers, who have been protesting rate decreases by parking their rigs on Constitution Avenue for more than a week. 
The truckers are predominantly Trump supporters, the president made sure to point out. Signs on those trucks would indicate that Trump's assessment of their politics was true. 
With Friday's event Trump continued his streak of refusing to wear a mask. 
[size=18]Trump says Covid-19 'only kills a tiny percentage' of people

[/size]

He told reporters he did put on a mask 'backstage' when visiting the Honeywell plant in Arizona that was producing N95 masks to help deal with a shortage amid the coronavirus pandemic, but he didn't wear it with cameras around. 
The Associated Press reported last week reported that Trump told aides it would 'send the wrong message' if he put on a mask. He also said he'd look ridiculous and that he feared those images would be used in political attack ads.  
When the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention first put out its advisory that Americans should wear facial coverings, Trump expressed then it wasn't for him. 
'Well, I just don't want to wear one myself,' he said at an April 3 White House press briefing. 
'I just don't want to be doing - I don't know, somehow sitting in the Oval Office behidn the beautiful Resolute Desk - the great Resolute Desk - I think wearing a face mask as I greet presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens, I don't know. Somehow, I don't see it for myself,' Trump said. 'I just - I just don't. Maybe I'll change my mind, but this will pass and hopefully it'll pass very quickly.'

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 16 May 2020, 20:28

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8325987/Restrictions-eased-Italy-three-months-lockdown-people-free-fly-June-3.html

[size=34]Italy reopens: Restrictions are eased after three months of lockdown with people free to fly from June 3 and shops set to reopen on Monday[/size]

• Italy will be open to European tourists from June 3 after three-month lockdown

• Regions could also reopen their economy fully under strict safety measures

• Country did not specify which foreign nationals would be allowed to enter Italy

• In a press release, the government said it respected the 'legal order' of the EU

By CHRIS JEWERS FOR MAILONLINE and AFP
PUBLISHED: 07:46 EDT, 16 May 2020 | UPDATED: 13:28 EDT, 16 May 2020

Italy will reopen to European tourists from June 3 and scrap a 14-day mandatory quarantine period, the government said on Saturday, as it accelerated its exit from the coronavirus lockdown.
The move will also apply to countries in the Schengen Area, and comes as the Italian government announced plans to also lift some travel restrictions on people within the country.
Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte enforced an economically crippling shutdown in early March to counter a pandemic that has so far killed more than 31,500 people in Italy.
The Prime Minister has resisted calls from some regions to open sooner, and has instead lifted measures gradually fearing a second wave of the virus. 
From the same date, regions will be allowed to reopen all sectors of the economy, providing strict safety and social distancing measures are observed.
This includes restaurants so long as customers are kept one meter apart, with staff wearing mandatory face masks. Customers will also be required to wear face masks if they are not sitting at tables.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28467248-8325987-image-a-23_1589639497616

+13

Italians return to the streets, all wearing face masks, as the country enters phase 2 of its pandemic response. Pictured: Viale Papiniano market, Milan, May 16
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28464682-8325987-image-a-3_1589627109015

+13

Italy will reopen to tourists from June 3, by which point regions will also have been allowed to reopen all sectors of their economy, providing strict safety measures are followed. Pictured: Thermal cameras are use to monitor body temperature at Fiumicino airport, near Rome, May 15
Shops in Italy are set to reopen on May 18, and people will be allowed to move freely within individual regions, allowing people to visit their friends.
Italy is holding off lifting travel restrictions further until after its June 2 Republic Day in an attempt to limit any mass travel over the long holiday weekend. 
The shutdown halted all holidaymaking in a country heavily dependent on the tourism industry.
Although Italy never formally closed its borders and has allowed people to cross back and forth for work or health reasons, it banned movement for tourism and imposed a two-week isolation period for new arrivals.
[size=10][size=18]Italy decides to lift international travel restrictions from June 3

L
[/size][/size]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28467244-8325987-image-a-24_1589639505035

+13

A man wearing a protective face mask has his temperature taken on the street in Milan, May 16
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28467246-8325987-image-a-25_1589639524049

+13

Italy is holding off lifting travel restrictions further until after its June 2 Republic Day in an attempt to limit any mass travel over the long holiday weekend

In March, the European Union banned foreign nationals from entering its Schengen zone, an open border zone comprising 22 of 27 member states, with exceptions for medical workers and essential travel.
But on Wednesday, the EU set out plans for a phased restart of summer travel, urging member states to reopen its internal borders, while recommending that external borders remain shut for most travel until at least the middle of June.
In a press release, Italy's government did not explicitly state which foreign nationals would be allowed to enter, but said its new measures respected the 'legal order of the European Union'.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28470150-8325987-image-a-33_1589640570543

+13

A barber in Catania, Italy tests the new safety measures with a visor and gloves, ready for the reopening of barbers on May 18 across the country
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28464626-8325987-image-m-7_1589627159280

+13

Bars and restaurants will be allowed to open by June 3. In restaurants, customers must be kept one meter apart, with staff wearing mandatory face masks, and customers wearing face masks when not sitting at a table. Pictured: A worker in a hazmat suit disinfects a Rome bar, May 16
Beginning on June 3, visitors within the Schengen zone will be allowed to enter Italy with no obligation to self-isolate. Italians will also be able to move between regions, though local authorities can limit travel if infections spike.
Movements to and from abroad can be limited by regional decree 'in relation to specific states and territories, in accordance with the principles of adequacy and proportionality to the epidemiological risk', the government said.
The latest decree is also a boon to Italy's agricultural sector, which relies on roughly 350,000 seasonal workers from abroad.
Farming lobby group Coldiretti said farms were already preparing to organise some 150,000 workers from places including Romania, Poland and Bulgaria.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28465822-8325987-image-a-19_1589629964024

+13

Pictured: A nun wearing a face masks walks through St. Matk's Square in Venice, Italy, as the country prepares for the return of tourists, set for June 3
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28464616-8325987-Church_services_will_also_begin_again_but_attendees_will_be_requ-m-8_1589629155740

+13

Church services will also begin again, but attendees will be required to follow social distancing rules. Holy water fonts will be empty. Pictured: Men wearing protective overalls and mask clean the floor and surfaces of the churchyard of the Basilica of Saint Paul in Rome, May 16
Elsewhere, in France, hundreds of beaches reopened today as residents flocked to seasides for a swim. 
There is a strict ban on sunbathing, among other restrictions, as the country eases its lockdown measures after the government gave them the green light to do so. 
Interior Minister Christophe Castaner, visiting a beach in Normandy, warned 'we won't hesitate' to close beaches if rules aren't respected.
Beachgoers can take a dip but cannot lay in the sun or picnic in the sand. Social distancing rules must be maintained and groups must be limited to no more than 10 people.
Some regions, like the Pas de Calais and Le Nord, gave the go-ahead for boats, with restrictions, while those living in Marseille must wait until the start of June to enjoy the 21 beaches in the area.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28464426-8325987-image-a-1_1589625786987

+13

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28464428-8325987-image-a-2_1589625790099

+13

Beaches in Italy also opened on Saturday, but gatherings of large groups are still banned across the nation. 
The peak of Italy's contagion passed at the end of March but with experts warning a second wave cannot be ruled out, Conte had been reluctant to lift the lockdown quickly.
His approach frustrated many of Italy's regions, with some already allowing businesses to reopen before the restrictions were lifted.
Restaurants, bars and hairdressers are being allowed to reopen on Monday, two weeks earlier than initially planned.
Shops will also open and Italians will finally be able to see friends, as long as they live within their same region.
Church services will begin again but the faithful will have to follow social distancing rules and holy water fonts will be empty. Mosques will also reopen. 
As of May 16, Italy had recorded 224,760 cases of coronavirus, with 31,763 related deaths. 
The number of deaths recorded over the past 24 hours was just 153. 
The last time the death count was that low was March 9, the day after the nationwide lockdown was announced. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28473100-8325987-image-a-1_1589649562739

+13

Women react as they stand in the sea during the re-opening of some Mediterranean beaches along the French Riviera city of Nice, southern France
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28473104-8325987-image-a-3_1589649637986

+13

Beach-goers bathe in the sea at Port-Vieux beach near the Rocher de la Vierge rock in Biarritz, south-western France
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 28473108-8325987-image-a-2_1589649592526

+13

People stroll on Villeneuve-les-Maguelone beach, near Montpellier, southern France

Share or comment on this article: 

Restrictions are eased in Italy after three months of lockdown with people free to fl

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Sat 16 May 2020, 20:48

Dont' get any ideas George Clooney, we like you in Los Angeles.

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 16 May 2020, 20:58

I'm sure they will go back for summer if it is safe. That is where he likes to spend the summer.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 16 May 2020, 20:59

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52688658

Steve Linick: Trump fires state department inspector general

• 16 May 2020

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 _112300742_061493109-1Image copyrightEPAImage captionSteve Linick was appointed by Barack Obama, to oversee spending and detect mismanagement at the state department
The US state department's inspector general, Steve Linick, has become the latest senior official to be fired by US President Donald Trump.
Mr Trump said Mr Linick no longer had his full confidence and that he would be removed in 30 days.
Mr Linick had begun investigating Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for suspected abuse of office, reports say.
Democrats say Mr Trump is retaliating against public servants who want to hold his administration to account.

• 'Ousted' US vaccine expert to file complaint
  • The White House revolving door: Who's gone?

"It is vital that I have the fullest confidence in the appointees serving as inspectors general. That is no longer the case with regard to this inspector general," Mr Trump is quoted as saying in a letter sent late on Friday to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, US media report.
Not long after Mr Linick's dismissal was announced, the chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee said Mr Linick had opened an investigation into Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
"This firing is the outrageous act of a president trying to protect one of his most loyal supporters, the secretary of state, from accountability," Eliot Engel, a Democrat, said in a statement.
"I have learned that the Office of the Inspector General had opened an investigation into Secretary Pompeo. Mr Linick's firing amid such a probe strongly suggests that this is an unlawful act of retaliation."
Mr Engel did not provide any further details about the content of this investigation into Mr Pompeo.
Congressional aides, speaking on condition of anonymity, have been quoted in different media as saying that Mr Linick was examining complaints that Mr Pompeo may have improperly used staff and asked them to perform personal tasks.
Mr Linick, a former prosecutor, was appointed by Mr Trump's predecessor, Barack Obama, to oversee spending and detect mismanagement at the state department.

'Retaliation'

Democrats have been reacting to the move. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Mr Linick was "punished for honourably performing his duty to protect the constitution and our national security".

Skip Twitter post by @SpeakerPelosi

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 P9mcJNGb_normal

Nancy Pelosi

✔@SpeakerPelosi

[ltr]The late-night, weekend firing of State Department IG Steve Linick is an acceleration of the President’s dangerous pattern of retaliation against the patriotic public servants charged with conducting oversight on behalf of the American people. https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/51520-2 …[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 F-PZgt4Q?format=jpg&name=600x314

Pelosi Statement on Late-Night Firing of State Department Inspector General

The President’s late-night, weekend firing of the State Department Inspector General has accelerated his dangerous pattern of retaliation against the patriotic public servants charged with conducting...
speaker.gov

10:58 PM - May 15, 2020

[ltr]

26K people are talking about this

[/ltr]

End of Twitter post by @SpeakerPelosi

"The president must cease his pattern of reprisal and retaliation against the public servants who are working to keep Americans safe, particularly during this time of global emergency," she added in a statement.
Senator Chris Murphy, a Democrat from Connecticut, said the Senate Foreign Relations Committee needed to learn more about the dismissal.

Skip Twitter post by @ChrisMurphyCT

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 9 7NorOQHB_normal

Chris Murphy

✔@ChrisMurphyCT

[ltr]If Inspector General Linick was fired because he was conducting an investigation of conduct by Secretary Pompeo, the Senate cannot let this stand.

The Senate Foreign Relations Committee must get to bottom of what happened here.[/ltr]

11:38 PM - May 15, 2020

[ltr]

11.3K people are talking about this

[/ltr]

End of Twitter post by @ChrisMurphyCT

This is the latest in a series of dismissals of independent government watchdogs.
Last month, Mr Trump dismissed Michael Atkinson, the inspector general of the intelligence community.
Mr Atkinson first alerted Congress to a whistleblower complaint that led to Mr Trump's impeachment trial.