George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
Amal to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World summit on 18/10/2018 EmptyYesterday at 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Amal to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World summit on 18/10/2018 EmptyYesterday at 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Amal to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World summit on 18/10/2018 EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Amal to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World summit on 18/10/2018 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Amal to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World summit on 18/10/2018 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Amal to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World summit on 18/10/2018 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Amal to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World summit on 18/10/2018 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Amal to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World summit on 18/10/2018 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Amal to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World summit on 18/10/2018 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Amal to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World summit on 18/10/2018

4 posters

Go down

Amal to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World summit on 18/10/2018 Empty Amal to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World summit on 18/10/2018

Post by carolhathaway Tue 26 Jun 2018, 11:21

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Amal Clooney to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World Summit 2018

25 June 2018, London: One Young World, the global forum for young leaders, today announces that Amal Clooney will host a far-reaching discussion with Kofi Annan, the Seventh Secretary General of the United Nations, to mark his 80th birthday at this year’s Summit.

Taking place on the 18th October 2018, international human rights lawyer Mrs. Clooney will shine a light on Mr. Annan’s remarkable career and celebrate the work he has led to make the world a better place.

Together, they will reflect on Mr. Annan’s achievements with the UN, as well as his career spanning 60 years, from winning the Nobel Peace Prize in 2001, to building the Kofi Annan Foundation that promotes better global leadership for a peaceful world. The Kofi Annan Foundation, with the support of One Young World and the European Commission established Extremely Together, an initiative bringing together young people against violent extremism.

Mrs. Clooney worked closely with Mr. Annan following her appointment by the United Nations as his legal adviser on the Syrian crisis in 2012.

This year’s One Young World Summit will bring together more than 1,500 young leaders from over 190 countries to The Hague from 17 to 20 October. The city is home to major international institutions, NGOs, and UN agencies which makes it a perfect setting for this year’s agenda, which places human rights at its heart.

Since 2009, One Young World has built a network of over 9,000 Ambassadors – young leaders whose initiatives have impacted more than 17.5 million people worldwide.                               

Kate Robertson, Co-Founder, One Young World said: “At One Young World, our mission is to provide a global platform for today’s young leaders. What better way to inspire the next generation than to learn from one of our most popular and longest standing Counsellors, Kofi Annan.

“Amal Clooney is an inspirational human rights lawyer, who is raising aspirations of young women across the globe and we are thrilled to welcome her to this year’s One Young World Summit.”

Mr. Annan, Seventh Secretary-General of the United Nations, said: “I am very much inspired by the passion and enthusiasm of today's young leaders. From climate change to the global refugee crisis, their passion must inspire us to resolve some of the greatest threats facing us today. I look forward to this year’s One Young World Summit where Amal Clooney and I will take the stage to discuss some of the world’s major fault lines. 

Mrs. Clooney, International Human Rights Lawyer, commented: "I am honoured to be invited by One Young World to join Kofi Annan in a discussion to mark his 80th birthday and the tenth anniversary of the Kofi Annan Foundation. I look forward to hearing Kofi’s expert insights on the global challenges we face and to engaging our young audience of future leaders".

– ENDS –
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Amal to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World summit on 18/10/2018 Empty Re: Amal to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World summit on 18/10/2018

Post by party animal - not! Tue 26 Jun 2018, 12:26

Fantastic. Amazing man.

And as a friend of George's, I've often wondered if he was the friend who introduced them......

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Amal to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World summit on 18/10/2018 Empty Re: Amal to appear in conversation with Kofi Annan at One Young World summit on 18/10/2018

Post by carolhathaway Tue 26 Jun 2018, 16:05

PAN,
that's exactly what came to my mind as well...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 26 Jun 2018, 16:30

Yep I’ve wondered too about the Kofi, Amal and George connection.

Boy do we need an influx of new thinkers and inspired future leaders on the global stage.  The state of our world is looking pretty wobbly right now.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 26 Jun 2018, 16:47

Maybe they're the ones who are going to save us, Donnamarie!

We're not doing a very good job of it...........

I note it's going to be in The Hague this year, HQ of the International Criminal Court

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by hairyhound Wed 27 Jun 2018, 01:52

Donnamarie wrote:Yep I’ve wondered too about the Kofi, Amal and George connection.

Boy do we need an influx of new thinkers and inspired future leaders on the global stage.  The state of our world is looking pretty wobbly right now.

I was thinking that Bryan Lourde introduced them.
hairyhound
hairyhound
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 27 Jun 2018, 02:29

Possible, but we now know (I think!) that he was the man who phoned George to say that he had met Amal - and that George would marry her.........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 27 Jun 2018, 12:07

Fun fact (well  sort of, at least it would be if it wasn't so sad)about the ICC in The Hague (which has nothing to do with George):

I don't know about the US  press coverage about the Soccer World Championships in Russia going on at the moment since the US team didn't qualify (Mecixo, by the way, did beat Germany in the first match). The Serbian coach heavily attacked the referee due to a decision made in a Serbian match and said the referee 'should be accused at the ICC in The Hague like they did to us', in his own words. I'm pretty sure he was referring to the genozide trials vs former Yugoslavian generals and politicians.

I'm not sure the coach knows about the reason why the ICC was installed and why Serbian generals were accused and convicted, but he doesn't seem to have gotten the accusations... scratch.

The reason why there was so much press coverage about it in Germany was that the referee is German.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 27 Jun 2018, 12:16

Closer fun fact than we might think Carol, because Amal worked for the ICC on the Yugoslav genocide cases........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 27 Jun 2018, 12:32

I had thought she had just worked on the Special Tribunal for Lebanon, but since I just asked wikipedia, you're right, PAN. She had also worked on this tribunal as well. I know quite a lot of 

The match I was referring to, was Serbia vs Switzerland, by the way, and the two Swiss players who scored, were of Albanian heritage and made a special sign for Albania after their goals (Albania is not  acclaimed diplomatically by Serbia) which might have firced the coaches' frustration...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down