George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
George and Amal paid for couple to stay in hotel for a month EmptyWed 08 May 2024, 22:11 by Ida

»  George filming new film in UK
George and Amal paid for couple to stay in hotel for a month EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George and Amal paid for couple to stay in hotel for a month EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George and Amal paid for couple to stay in hotel for a month EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George and Amal paid for couple to stay in hotel for a month EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George and Amal paid for couple to stay in hotel for a month EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George and Amal paid for couple to stay in hotel for a month EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George and Amal paid for couple to stay in hotel for a month EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George and Amal paid for couple to stay in hotel for a month EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George and Amal paid for couple to stay in hotel for a month

+4
party animal - not!
LizzyNY
PigPen
annemarie
8 posters

Go down

George and Amal paid for couple to stay in hotel for a month Empty George and Amal paid for couple to stay in hotel for a month

Post by annemarie Sat 01 Apr 2017, 02:02

That's one way to keep the neighbours sweet! George and Amal Clooney paid for couple to stay in a luxury hotel for a month while they did £12million of work on their Berkshire mansion

• John and Clare Grove went to stay at The French Horn in Berkshire for one month

• The Clooneys paid for the couple to stay there while renovations took place

• It charges couples £225-per-night to stay at their riverside cottage suites

• It is understood the Groves signed confidentiality agreements about their dealings with the pair

By Tim Lamden Showbusiness Correspondent For The Daily Mail
PUBLISHED: 19:18 EDT, 31 March 2017 UPDATED: 20:30 EDT, 31 March 2017

He is a regular at the local pub and has even taken time out to visit the elderly at a nearby care home.
But for one couple living closest to George Clooney and his wife Amal in Sonning, the arrival of Hollywood royalty in the Berkshire village meant a free month-long stay in a swanky hotel.
The 55-year-old actor and his wife paid for couple John, 58, and Clare Grove, 49, to live for almost a month in The French Horn, a luxury restaurant and hotel just 300m down the road, while £12m worth of renovations were carried out on their home, it has emerged.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

+7

+7

John (left) and Clare Grove (right) were paid to stay in The French Horn for month while £12million renovations took place at the Clooneys' house

+7
The 19th century former coaching inn is a favourite place for George and Amal as well as Prime Minister Theresa May
Perched on the banks of the Thames, the 19th century former coaching inn is the Clooneys' favourite local dining spot and charges couples £225-per-night to stay at their riverside cottage suites.
The restaurant, which sells vintage wines for up to £25,000 a bottle, is also a favourite of Prime Minister Theresa May, another village local, who is often seen dining with her security team in tow.
The Clooneys are such fans of the restaurant they regularly hire its staff for private dinner parties at their mansion.
Refurbishment works on the Clooneys' Grade II-listed property, which stands on a five-and-a-half acre island on the Thames, began in late-2015 and included the construction of a 12-seater cinema, subterranean irrigation system, 60ft swimming pool and an astroturf tennis court.
For the Groves and their next door neighbour, the only other residents located on the island with the Clooneys, it meant a daily stream of lorries, trucks and diggers clogging up the tiny lane outside their homes.

+7
Refurbishment works on the Clooneys' Grade II-listed property, which stands on a five-and-a-half acre island on the Thames, began in late-2015

+7

Clooney bought his Thames-side estate for £7.5m in 2014 after marrying Amal, who is now pregnant with twins
One villager, who did not wish to be named, said: 'It is a known fact in the village that the Clooneys' closest neighbours were very stressed by the building work.
'At the height of the work, there were up to three large building lorries in the small road leading to the Clooneys' house every day.
'But the Clooneys have given a lot back to the community since they moved in. They paid for the Groves to stay in The French Horn during the building work and they often use the restaurant's staff for their private dinner parties.
'They have even paid to have the road damaged by the builders' lorries to be completely re-laid.'

Since the work was completed last year, the Groves have moved from their £500,000 cottage at the foot of the celebrity couple's driveway.
It is understood both the Groves and their next door neighbour signed confidentiality agreements about their dealings with the actor and his wife, a renowned human rights lawyer.
Clooney bought his Thames-side estate for £7.5m in 2014 after marrying Amal, who is now pregnant with twins, in an extravagant four-day wedding in Venice.
The couple submitted plans for a £12.5million refurbishment of the property in March 2015 which were approved by South Oxfordshire District Council in May that year.

+7
The couple submitted plans for a £12.5million refurbishment of the property in March 2015 which were approved by South Oxfordshire District Council in May that year

+7
The French Horn, which sells vintage wines for up to £25,000 a bottle, is also a favourite of Prime Minister Theresa May
For months, villagers endured a cacophony of building work. For a time the skyline was dominated by a 200ft crane and the streets filled by a constant stream of HGVs and goods vans going to and from the property.
Speaking about the work last year, Clooney said: 'I'm very happy. We are having a really fun time.
'We are remodelling our house which is hell. We've got married and remodelled the house. We are having fun.'
The Clooneys officially moved into the property, now thought to be worth £23.5m, last year and held a private dinner for a select group of residents in the village, which also counts Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page and 'spoon bender' Uri Geller among its residents.
As well as The French Horn, Clooney is known to be a regular at local village pub The Bull Inn, which stocks his own brand of sipping tequila.
He was recently spotted in the pub with fellow Hollywood A-lister Bill Murray and the pair were said to have left a $100 bill as a tip for staff.
Last month, he made a surprise visit to an 87-year-old fan who wrote to him from a local care home.
When approached, the Clooneys and the Groves did not wish to comment.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

George and Amal paid for couple to stay in hotel for a month Empty Re: George and Amal paid for couple to stay in hotel for a month

Post by PigPen Mon 03 Apr 2017, 18:39

When approached, the Clooneys and the Groves did not wish to comment.
It is understood both the Groves and their next door neighbour signed confidentiality agreements about their dealings with the actor and his wife, a renowned human rights lawyer.

So, how exactly did this story come to surface??????????????????????

PigPen
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

George and Amal paid for couple to stay in hotel for a month Empty Re: George and Amal paid for couple to stay in hotel for a month

Post by LizzyNY Mon 03 Apr 2017, 19:46

Good point, PigPen. And, why did the Groves move out of their home after the renovations on George's place were done? Didn't they want to be George's neighbors anymore?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 03 Apr 2017, 20:00

The Groves' cottage is at the bottom of the drive of Mill House. It wouldn't have been a bundle of laughs having that many lorries sitting outside your house. 

I'm not surprised the Clooneys gave them an alternative and paid for their stay somewhere else. If only everybody did that when major building work was going on!

This story was originally picked up by a very local rag. A local obviously chatted to the reporter.The couple concerned are well known in the village....

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 03 Apr 2017, 20:08

PP- Not sure if we just crossed wires or if you're answering some other question. I completely get why they wouldn't want to stay there while the work was going on, and why G&A would pay for their hotel stay.

What I'm questioning is why they moved away after the work was done. (At least that's my take on what it said in the article. Maybe I got it wrong.)
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Mon 03 Apr 2017, 20:22

Lizzy- I haven't answered anything... you perhaps looking at PAN's posting?

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 03 Apr 2017, 22:33

They moved into the hotel when the work was going on, Lizzy. 

And the Clooneys gave a dinner party for all the neighbours.....

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 03 Apr 2017, 22:39

PP - Embarassed Mea culpa! You got me. That's what happens to us old fogeys - brain farts!

PAN - There's a spot in the article that leads me to believe the Groves moved out of their house after G&A finished the renovation - and after their hotel stay. I could be wrong, but that's how it seems to me.:

"Since the work was completed last year the Groves have moved from their 500,000 pound cottage at the foot of the celebrity couple's driveway."

Sounds to me like they moved away. I just wondered why.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 04 Apr 2017, 00:44

Well, everyone didn't sign a confidentiality agreement so any one who knew staff at the hotel workmen , friend of the couple could have told.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 04 Apr 2017, 07:22

I think you're right, Lizzy: sounds like they moved out anyway. It doesn't say why, but I guess there's a million reasons for people to move.

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 04 Apr 2017, 14:11

I just wondered why they moved. Could it be they didn't like their new neighbors? Or, maybe G&A bought them out for some reason? What else is on their island? Is it possible for them to buy up everything and have the place all to themselves?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 05 Apr 2017, 04:45

I guess we'll never know, but my first thought is that George may have bought them out. Gives them more privacy on their island.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 05 Apr 2017, 14:21

Actually, that was my thought, too. Especially if their dealings with the Groves during construction were problematic. It could be they felt there might be problems in the future, too.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 06 Apr 2017, 05:03

Could just be that George just wanted the whole island to himself (not sure if that's feasible - are there any other homes there?) just to ensure his own privacy.

I'm sure that it wouldn't have been too hard to persuade them to move - the flood insurance for that area must be horrific so a move to somewhere on higher ground would probably appeal.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 06 Apr 2017, 06:26

Isn't tge theatre on the island as well?
I can't imagine them buying this as well (if they really bought out the couple).
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 06 Apr 2017, 10:47

The couple moving could have nothing to do with George, peoples lives change maybe they were planning to move before George and Amal bought there.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 06 Apr 2017, 11:29

You're right, Annemarie.

The dinner theatre shares the island with George and Amal's house, yes, and is a working watermill (great views of it in the bar!). George has joked that acting there is his pension plan. It is hugely  popular (or should I say bigly!) and there is no way George would buy it, although he may already be a patron, and went to a production after Christmas.

The Groves used to run a charter boat business there for parties (there is a boatyard there too) but sold the business last year so moved.

I think he must really enjoy being there. There are so many similarities to his hometown

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 07 Apr 2017, 23:44

So the Groves (or somebody) have decided to have another bite of the cherry.........

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 08 Apr 2017, 03:49

Dear neighbours... sorry about the building work, here's £45,000 (and a Hoover) Yours, the Clooneys: George and Amal offer compensation for noise caused by Berkshire home renovations

• Refurbishment works on Clooneys’ Grade II-listed property began in late 2015

• Deal with neighbours John Grove, 58, and his wife Clare, 49, included a holiday

• Included construction of 12-seater cinema, 60ft swimming pool and tennis court

• At one point, the Clooneys had 1,000 mature trees transported to the estate 

By Tim Lamden, Showbusiness Correspondent For The Daily Mail
PUBLISHED: 22:00 BST, 7 April 2017 UPDATED: 02:31 BST, 8 April 2017

George and Amal Clooney gave neighbours in their Berkshire village a £45,000 compensation package for the disturbance caused by renovations to their estate.

The deal agreed with John Grove, 58, and his wife Clare, 49, included a holiday to Corfu, a six-week stay in a luxury hotel and a £30,000 lump sum.

In addition to the package – which curiously also included a replacement vacuum cleaner – the Clooneys paid for the Groves to rent a £780,000 cottage down the road from their home in Sonning.

Refurbishment works on the Clooneys’ Grade II-listed Thames-side property began in late 2015, and included the construction of a 12-seater cinema, subterranean irrigation system, 60ft swimming pool and an astroturf tennis court.
For the Groves and their next-door neighbour, it meant a daily stream of lorries, trucks and diggers clogging up the tiny lane outside their homes for a year.
At one point, the Clooneys had 1,000 mature trees transported to the estate by lorries and planted around the outskirts of the property to protect their privacy.
A source said: ‘It is a known fact in the village that the Clooneys’ closest neighbours were very stressed by the building work. At the height of the work, there were up to three large building lorries in the small road leading to the Clooneys’ house every day.

Th renovations meant a daily stream of lorries, trucks and diggers clogging up the tiny lane outside their homes for a year. The deal agreed with neighbours John Grove (left) and wife Clare (right) included a holiday, a six-week stay in a luxury hotel and £30,000 lump sum
‘But the Clooneys have given a lot back to the community since they moved in. They have been incredibly generous in compensating the Groves for the hassle of the building work.’
During the height of the work in September 2015, the Clooneys paid for the Groves to take a week-long break on the Greek island of Corfu.
Upon their return, they moved into The French Horn, a hotel and restaurant 300 yards from their home at the expense of the Clooneys for six weeks.

RELATED ARTICLES

• Previous

• Next

• [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]That's one way to keep the neighbours sweet! George and Amal...Putin's ex-wife buys £6million Art Deco villa in the South...

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Perched on the banks of the Thames, the 19th century former coaching inn is the Clooneys’ favourite local dining spot and charges couples £225 a night to stay at its riverside cottage suites.
The restaurant, which sells vintage wines for up to £25,000 a bottle, is also a favourite of Prime Minister Theresa May, who is often seen dining with her security team in tow. The Clooneys are such fans of the restaurant they regularly hire its staff for private dinner parties at their mansion.
After staying in the hotel became inconvenient for the Groves, the Clooneys secured them a £780,000 cottage in the village for a year, with all rent and bills paid by the Hollywood actor and his human rights lawyer wife. It is not known how much this cost overall.

+3
Refurbishment works on the Clooneys’ Grade II-listed Thames-side property (pictured) in Berkshire included the construction of a 12-seater cinema, subterranean irrigation system, 60ft swimming pool and an astroturf tennis court
Finally, the Clooneys agreed to make a one-off payment of around £30,000 to the couple.
Since the work was completed last year, the Groves have moved from their former home – a £500,000 cottage at the foot of the celebrity couple’s driveway.
Neither the Clooneys nor the Groves wished to comment on their dealings with one another.
Clooney bought his estate for £7.5million in 2014 after marrying his wife, who is now pregnant with twins, in an extravagant four-day wedding in Venice.

+3
The Clooneys secured the Groves a £780,000 cottage in the village for a year, with all rent and bills paid by the Hollywood actor and his human rights lawyer wife
The couple submitted plans for a £12.5million refurbishment of the property in March 2015, which were approved by South Oxfordshire District Council in May that year. For months, villagers endured a cacophony of building work.
For a time the skyline was dominated by a 200ft crane, and the streets were filled with a constant stream of HGVs and vans going to and from the property.
Speaking about married life last year, Clooney said: ‘I’m very happy. We are having a really fun time.
‘We are remodelling our house which is hell. We’ve got married and remodelled the house. We are having fun.’
The Clooneys officially moved into the property, now thought to be worth £23.5million, last year and held a private dinner for a select group of residents in the village, which is also home to Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page and ‘spoon bender’ Uri Geller.
As well as The French Horn, Clooney is a regular at local pub The Bull Inn, which stocks his own brand of sipping tequila. He was recently spotted there with fellow Hollywood A-lister Bill Murray and the pair were said to have left a $100 note as a tip.
Last month, Clooney made a surprise visit to an 87-year-old fan who wrote to him from a local care home.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 08 Apr 2017, 04:16

I just wonder if this was all amicable especially since the Groves decided to move after all was said and done. It just seems a bit bewildering to me. If the confidentiality agreement pertained to the inconvenience 'package' George offered the Groves then how did those details get out? If not, then wonder what the agreement covered? Or maybe there never was a confidentiality agreement (fake news). It's all a bit curious.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 08 Apr 2017, 05:13

It's probably amicable now that they've sorted it out.

I guess that there was an NDA but still, people talk. All the 'journalist' would have had to do is talk to a bunch of people in the area and put together all the snippets of info, then fill in the rest to make this 'story'.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 08 Apr 2017, 14:48

It's interesting that nothing's been heard from the other neighbor - the people who live next door to the Groves. I wonder if they struck a deal with G&A, or if the mess didn't bother them enough to profit from it.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 08 Apr 2017, 15:16

Something a bit unusual in Mail. Positive comments!!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 08 Apr 2017, 18:25

party animal - not! wrote:Something a bit unusual in Mail. Positive comments!!

lol! Go figure??!
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Sat 08 Apr 2017, 20:52

Devil's advocate time................... maybe they just  didn't want to be neighbors with George.  He can be a bad neighbor ( look at some of the  crap he does at Como without consideration for neighbors.   what- you ask. How about his late parties that echo all over the neighborhood.  yeh George, you own the property but not the neighborhood.  Give an example you say- glad to.... ayone recall one  of his favorite stories of getting his house guests tipsy and then daring them to jump into the lake  au natural??  Guests include  ( forget first name) Rose PBS interviewer.   Doubt his 4th of July party breaks by 11PM.

yeh- I'm cranky at his Nibbs today.  Papers reporting how he's done soooooooooooooo much for the neighborhood, to keep peace and be a great guy.  What I see is  him throwing money around to shut people up.

end of rant.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 08 Apr 2017, 21:37

Well IMO George is a great guy and Sonning is probably lucky to have him and Amal as neighbors. And I also think he is for the most part very thoughtful when it comes to others ... and generous on top of that. And I also think he probably feels badly about all the construction and noise that occurred on his property. From news reports a year ago it did sound like he was upsetting the neighborhood quite a bit and so now he is trying to make amends.

I don't think I've ever read of anyone who has claimed that George wasn't neighborly. I've never heard of stories out of Como of neighbors complaining about George making too much noise when he had parties. The villas are not that close together. And Lake Como is a pretty big lake so who is going to notice his guests taking a dip in the lake at night?
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 08 Apr 2017, 21:45

PP - It was Charlie Rose. And Walter Cronkite, too. And lots of others. I'm with Donnamarie on this. I never heard that the neighbors complained about his Como parties - although that doesn't mean he can't be as annoying a neighbor as the rest of us.

I hope whatever's spoiling your day goes away soon! Give Flowers
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 08 Apr 2017, 22:32

I know of nobody in the Como house environs who has ever noticed or complained about any noise from the property. 

It'a a  lovely set-up, with huge grounds bordering the lake and all the surrounding houses belong to him. He's also built a car park for residents and contributes to all sorts of projects in the village. 

And he's always claimed that any jumping into the lake has happened at 3 a m when the Italian paps are in bed........!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 09 Apr 2017, 19:12

Maybe it's the neighbours who are noisy/nosey not George....

I would prefer noisy neighbours to nosey neighbours...definitely pay off the nosey types.....George is a very private person, I read that in the DM....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Sun 09 Apr 2017, 19:48

Okay- I see your point re: complaints.  But again, being the devil's advocate.... who can say for sure that no one has indeed complained- and been ignored.  This is George we're yapping about-  former mayor officiated wedding, etc etc etc.  It's Sinatra back from the dead.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 13 Apr 2017, 05:32

And another rehash of this story:

George Clooney, Amal Alamuddin's Inconsiderate Behaviors Cause Neighbors To Call The Cops?

George Clooney's neighbors are not very happy of him and Amal Alamuddin living in the area?

9:42 AM EDT 4/12/2017 by Colt, Celebeat Reporter

Home renovations are certainly normal in all neighborhoods. But it seems that George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin are making some drastic changes to their multi-million dollar English estate that it took them for several months now to renovate and it still not finished. As if the constant noise is not enough, several paparazzi are also swarming the area, making the neighbor less and less happy about living near the famous actor and his lawyer wife.

However, George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin may have already expected their neighbors to not be too pleased with their home renovation and they decided to make it up to them. Celeb Dirty Laundry revealed that the couple have spent over $50,000 in gifts to possibly keep their neighbors from picking up their phones and calling the cops on them. The pair tried to be good members of the society despite the circumstances.

While there is no word as to what exact gifts did the couple send out to their neighbors, but it seems that their friendly gesture has been working as there are no negative reports about their home renovation so far. George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin are reportedly planning to raise their twins in England, so the pair are definitely trying to win their neighbor's by giving them lavish gifts in exchange of their understanding and silence.

Being in the public eye for almost four decades, it only makes sense that George Clooney would want to settle down outside Hollywood. Although the couple have not commented on this matter, "The Monuments Men" actor's friend are clearly happy for him after learning that he's going to be a a first-time dad soon.

"I'm very excited. Obviously we're friends of parenthood. I think it's incredible for George and it really took Amal, I think," Cindy Crawford told E! News at the time. "It was like all of a sudden he might get married and he might have a family. It's incredible. We are very excited for them." The supermodel's husband, Rande Gerber then jokingly added, "I'm not sure he'll be changing diapers."
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down