George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? music CD to be re-released with bonus CD EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? music CD to be re-released with bonus CD EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? music CD to be re-released with bonus CD EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? music CD to be re-released with bonus CD EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? music CD to be re-released with bonus CD EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? music CD to be re-released with bonus CD EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? music CD to be re-released with bonus CD EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? music CD to be re-released with bonus CD EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? music CD to be re-released with bonus CD EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? music CD to be re-released with bonus CD

4 posters

Go down

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? music CD to be re-released with bonus CD Empty Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? music CD to be re-released with bonus CD

Post by Katiedot Thu 16 Jun 2011, 06:55

For all you men of constant sorrow out there:

From the boot

Posted Jun 14th 2011 by Stephen L. Betts

Hailed by critics and embraced by fans to the tune of nine million copies sold since its release, the multi-award-winning soundtrack album, 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?,' will celebrate its tenth anniversary with a deluxe two-CD set, due August 16.

A total of 17 new tracks will be available, in addition to the original disc which featured 19 old-time, bluegrass and country tunes by such artists as Alison Krauss, Gillian Welch, Ralph Stanley, the Cox Family, and of course, Dan Tyminksi, whose vocal rendition of 'Man of Constant Sorrow' was lip-synched by George Clooney in the critically-acclaimed Coen Brothers film. That tune also featured vocals by Pat Enright and the now-late Harley Allen (as the Soggy Bottom Boys).

Thirteen of the newly-released songs were recorded during the original sessions for the film, and with the exception of 'Cow Road' (by T Bone Burnett) and 'I'll Fly Away' (performed by the Kossoy Sisters) went unheard on-screen. This will mark the first time these tracks have been available in any format.

In spite of receiving very little radio airplay, 'O Brother' became one of the 10 best-selling soundtracks of all time. It's also the top-selling soundtrack and the 17th biggest album of the 21st century. The deluxe edition features original producer, 12-time Grammy winner (and Oscar winner), T Bone Burnett personally involved in all aspects of this expanded version's release.

The second disc of the 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' Deluxe Edition features artists who appeared on the original album (John Hartford, Norman Blake, the Fairfield Four, the Cox Family and the Peasall Sisters) plus a few who didn't (Colin Linden, Alan O'Bryant, Ed Lewis and Van Dyke Parks). The disc's previously recorded tracks include two from Duke Ellington, along with 'Tom Devil' by Ed Lewis and the Prisoners, and the Kossoy Sisters' 'I'll Fly Away.'.

In addition to the Grammy win for Album of the Year and two other Grammy awards that year, 'O Brother' gave birth to a groundbreaking Nashville concert, which resulted in the documentary film, 'Down From the Mountain,' and a sold-out U.S. tour. That album also won a Grammy.

'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' Deluxe Edition Track Listing:

Disc One: The Original 'O Brother Where Art Thou?'

1. 'Po' Lazarus,' James Carter and prisoners

2. 'Big Rock Candy Mountain,' Harry McClintock

3. 'You Are My Sunshine,' Norman Blake

4. 'Down to the River to Pray,' Alison Krauss

5. 'I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow,' The Soggy Bottom Boys

6. 'Hard Time Killing Floor Blues,' Chris Thomas King

7. 'I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow,' Norman Blake

8. 'Keep on the Sunny Side,' The Whites

9. 'I'll Fly Away' - Alison Krauss and Gillian Welch

10. 'Didn't Leave Nobody But the Baby,' Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss and Gillian Welch

11. 'In the Highways,' Sarah, Hannah, and Leah Peasall

12. 'I Am Weary, Let Me Rest,' Cox Family

13. 'I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow,' John Hartford

14. 'O Death' - Ralph Stanley

15. 'In the Jailhouse Now,' Soggy Bottom Boys

16. 'I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow,' Soggy Bottom Boys

17. 'Indian War Whoop,' John Hartford

18. 'Lonesome Valley,' Fairfield Four

19. 'Angel Band,' Stanley Brothers

Bonus Disc

* Unreleased Tracks

* 1. 'Hard Time Killing Floor Blues,' Colin Linden

* 2. 'You Are My Sunshine,' Alan O'Bryant

* 3. 'Tishamingo County Blues,' John Hartford

4. 'Mood Indigo' - Duke Ellington

* 5. 'Cow Road,' T Bone Burnett

6. 'I'll Fly Away,' Kossoy Sisters

* 7. 'Big Rock Candy Mountain,' Van Dyke Parks

8. 'Admiration,' Duke Ellington

9. 'Tom Devil,' Ed Lewis and the Prisoners

* 10. 'Keep on the Sunny Side,' Cox Family

* 11. 'Angel Band,' Sarah, Hannah, and Leah Peasall

* 12. 'Big Rock Candy Mountain,' Norman Blake

* 13. 'Little Sadie,' Norman Blake

* 14. 'In the Highways,' Cox Family

* 15. 'That Hog's Foot Further in the Bed' - John Hartford

* 16. 'The Lord Will Make a Way,' Fairfield Four

* 17. 'In the Jailhouse Now' - Harley Allen
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? music CD to be re-released with bonus CD Empty Re: Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? music CD to be re-released with bonus CD

Post by melbert Fri 17 Jun 2011, 02:53

I just may have to get this! I LOVE OBWAT!!!!!!
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? music CD to be re-released with bonus CD Empty Re: Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? music CD to be re-released with bonus CD

Post by Guest Wed 22 Jun 2011, 18:17

I watched this movie yesterday! Laughed so hard i cried. "We thought you was a toad!"

10 out of 10

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 22 Aug 2011, 13:25

Just found this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If someone could tell me how, I'd much rather give you the article rather than just the address. I've tried cut and paste and it just doesn't work. Help! Smile

New 'O Brother' set serves up more old-timey music

By DAVID GERMAIN

LOS ANGELES — George Clooney isn't the only one whose singing didn't make the final cut of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" and the film's best-selling soundtrack, which helped turn old-timey music into hit pop tunes again.

Clooney's stab at singing the film's signature song still remains in the vaults, but an expanded version of the soundtrack — in stores Tuesday — packs 14 extra tracks, including 12 previously unreleased cuts from music producer T Bone Burnett's "O Brother" sessions.

The two-CD set, which also includes the 19 tunes from the original soundtrack, helps celebrate the 10th anniversary of the "O Brother" triumph at the 2001 Grammys, where it was picked as album of the year.

The film's $45 million haul at the domestic box-office was at the time the biggest success yet for filmmakers Joel and Ethan Coen, but it was a pittance compared to Hollywood blockbusters.

The album, though, was a runaway hit, selling 9 million copies, ranking as one of the 10 top-selling soundtracks ever and inspiring renewed interest in long-neglected rootsy music that continues today. As the studio engineer tells Clooney's gang in the film, "people can't seem to get enough" of that old-timey stuff.

"That type of music had been around my whole life. There was a period of time in the late 1950s and early '60s where it was actually popular music, and I knew there hadn't been a light shone on it for some number of years," Burnett said.

"We knew we were getting ready to shine a very bright light on it with a George Clooney movie and a George Clooney video, for that matter. I thought there was a very good chance that it would penetrate the zeitgeist, these singers and musicians; for a lot of people to hear them and think this was good music. The thing I didn't foresee was all the banjo sales increasing by 7,000 percent."

The expanded soundtrack features more songs by performers who were on the original album, among them Norman Blake, the Fairfield Four and the Peasall Sisters, and others who didn't make it on the initial release, including Van Dyke Parks, Colin Linden and Alan O'Bryant.

The double album features two previously unreleased tracks by the late John Hartford, a banjo player and music folklorist who wrote "Gentle on My Mind." Burnett recalls that Hartford recorded 30 or 40 songs in a single day as they were working on the "O Brother" soundtrack.

Inspired by Homer's "The Odyssey," the film follows three Depression-era escaped convicts (Clooney, John Turturro and Tim Blake Nelson) as they encounter seductive sirens, run afoul of a modern Cyclops (John Goodman) and inadvertently record a hit song with the traditional tune "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow." The film makes its debut on Blu-ray disc Sept. 13, with extras that include the "Man of Constant Sorrow" music video.

Clooney, nephew of singer Rosemary Clooney, recorded a version that "sounded great ... he does have those genes, and he is Irish," Burnett said. "If George wanted to, he could be a singer."

But Clooney only had a brief time to prepare for his studio session. Burnett said that for the film to work, the song had to sound timeless, the sort of tune that could sweep the airwaves and become the salvation for Clooney and his "Soggy Bottom Boys."

The filmmakers went with a version sung by country and bluegrass guitarist Dan Tyminski, one of the "O Brother" session musicians and a long-time member of Alison Krauss' band Union Station.

Tyminski's "Man of Constant Sorrow," which also won a Grammy, has become a standard at Krauss' shows, and the song gave him such a career boost that he stepped out from sideman duties to record two solo albums.

The music revival that followed the soundtrack's release still is going strong, Tyminski said.

"It took years before I really started to understand the impact that soundtrack had on the music. It trickled down outside anything connected to the soundtrack," Tyminski said. "I remember after that, attendance to a lot of those festivals and events that had anything do with that type of music, their attendance tripled. No extra advertising, no mention of any connection to the movie."

Burnett said there's a lot more music that might eventually be released from the "O Brother" sessions. That might potentially include Clooney's take on "Man of Constant Sorrow," which Burnett did not go looking for as he put together the expanded soundtrack.

"I don't know why we didn't think of that," Burnett said. If he can find it — and Clooney agrees — "at some point I'm going to put out the George Clooney version."
pattygirl
pattygirl
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Aug 2011, 13:35

Here's an article from ABC News. I only quoted the parts about George... well,because, he's George! And he can sing!

@Patty - I think it's the exact same article. Thanks for the find! Give Flowers2

Clooney, nephew of singer Rosemary Clooney, recorded a version that "sounded great ... he does have those genes, and he is Irish," Burnett said. "If George wanted to, he could be a singer."
Burnett said there's a lot more music that might eventually be released from the "O Brother" sessions. That might potentially include Clooney's take on "Man of Constant Sorrow," which Burnett did not go looking for as he put together the expanded soundtrack.

"I don't know why we didn't think of that," Burnett said. If he can find it — and Clooney agrees — "at some point I'm going to put out the George Clooney version."

To read the whole article here's the link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Can you imagine that voice singing in your ear? Whew...
Okay Girls, be quiet, I'm trying to listen... sunny

Last edited by Cinderella on Mon 22 Aug 2011, 13:40; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : find)

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 22 Aug 2011, 18:42

Pattygirl: copy and paste is exactly what's needed. All you need to do is select the text you want to copy (by scrolling over it with the left mouse button held down) then right click the mouse and select 'copy'. Then come back to this site, rigth click the mouse button again and select 'paste'.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 22 Aug 2011, 18:52

thanks Katie. I've tried to do that, just doesn't always work so I figured I must be doing something wrong. Good to know I wasn't really. Been doing cut and paste for years and couldn't figure why it wasn't working. Will see what happens next time.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 22 Aug 2011, 18:56

Sorry, I've no idea what's going wrong then. I cut and pasted the article you linked to above and posted it in your original post without any problems.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 22 Aug 2011, 19:10

Just posted to Stacy Keibler thread an article. Cut and paste worked.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 23 Aug 2011, 04:46

Yay!

Anyway, back to the music, I'm so glad you found that article where Burnett said George can sing. It's been a hotly debated issue among fans for many years.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Tue 23 Aug 2011, 13:17

Truly, how could he not have inherited at least some of the Clooney musc genes? Even Nick can sing, presumably not like Rosemary or Betty, but he has said that they all sang.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Wed 24 Aug 2011, 02:25

I'm going Off Topic Pattygirl, but not totally and I wanted to share this with you. I think that Nick sounds real similar to Pat Boone (LOVED him in his hayday!!!). Hope you, and everybody else, enjoy this! Nick Clooney singing Last Thing on my Mind.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Aug 2011, 02:38

I am very off topic now: Melbert where did you find this amazing avatar? Give hearts

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Wed 24 Aug 2011, 03:07

That was great Mel. Nice find. I think it's great that you all take the time out of your busy lives to go through websites to looke for articles about George, and youtube, too.

He definitely must have inherited some sweet singing genes, can't wait to hear them.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:35

Nick has chosen a rather sad song, why ? lol!
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:39

Probably a song he liked and could do well. It was probably just a popular song back then. Don't forget that was probably the early to mid 70's. Besides, can't see him doing a rock n roll ditty, can you?
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Thu 25 Aug 2011, 01:33

LouisLane wrote:I am very off topic now: Melbert where did you find this amazing avatar? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now I've changed it again LL, but the black/white one was from that magazine article (I think the Russian one) that's on another thread. I LOVE IT!!!!!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Aug 2011, 02:46

Ohhhhhh, thanks! I haven't been able to keep up with all the threads lately. I didn't have internet access at home for a couple of days and I am also working on my poster presentation on Aug 31st! Smile

Last edited by LouisLane on Thu 25 Aug 2011, 12:28; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:30

Good luck on that presentation. Knock 'em dead.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Aug 2011, 12:28

Thanks Patty! I am working on it, working on it!!! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down