George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
Clooneys to attend a VIP fundraiser for Clinton – and Sanders fans are outraged EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Clooneys to attend a VIP fundraiser for Clinton – and Sanders fans are outraged EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Clooneys to attend a VIP fundraiser for Clinton – and Sanders fans are outraged EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Clooneys to attend a VIP fundraiser for Clinton – and Sanders fans are outraged EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Clooneys to attend a VIP fundraiser for Clinton – and Sanders fans are outraged EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Clooneys to attend a VIP fundraiser for Clinton – and Sanders fans are outraged EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Clooneys to attend a VIP fundraiser for Clinton – and Sanders fans are outraged EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Clooneys to attend a VIP fundraiser for Clinton – and Sanders fans are outraged EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Clooneys to attend a VIP fundraiser for Clinton – and Sanders fans are outraged EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Clooneys to attend a VIP fundraiser for Clinton – and Sanders fans are outraged

5 posters

Go down

Clooneys to attend a VIP fundraiser for Clinton – and Sanders fans are outraged Empty Clooneys to attend a VIP fundraiser for Clinton – and Sanders fans are outraged

Post by annemarie Tue 12 Apr 2016, 16:25

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Clooneys to attend a VIP fundraiser for Clinton – and Sanders fans are outraged Empty Re: Clooneys to attend a VIP fundraiser for Clinton – and Sanders fans are outraged

Post by Donnamarie Tue 12 Apr 2016, 18:14

I'm glad that Pishevar (an Iranian) appreciates the right in our democracy to protest.  He is taking a very diplomatic and good natured approach to what might be a disruptive evening at his house.

It's all well and good that the Sanders' supporters vehemently disapprove this type of campaign fundraising.  Only time and the right leaders in Congress and the White House can start to change our current campaign financing laws.  But I will say again that as I understand it Hillary gets I think $2,700 from each contributer to these fundraising events.  The rest of the proceeds goes to the Hillary Victory Fund which will be used to fund Senate and congressional races this year.

If Bernie Sanders were to become President and wanted to follow through on many of his campaign promises he will not be able to get even half of his agenda accomplished unless the Democrats retake the Senate and some of the House seats get flipped.   If those races are not properly funded it ain't gonna happen.
And as I understand as of now Bernie's campaign has not given money to the Democratic National Committee to help in this cause.  Tho he has said lately that he intends to.

I hope Sanders' supporters know the facts.  And understand that all the wonderful promises he is making sound really transformational and good for our country.
He's going to need a lot of support in Congress to accomplish his goals and right now he won't have it.

Last edited by Donnamarie on Tue 12 Apr 2016, 18:16; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct spelling)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Clooneys to attend a VIP fundraiser for Clinton – and Sanders fans are outraged Empty Re: Clooneys to attend a VIP fundraiser for Clinton – and Sanders fans are outraged

Post by carolhathaway Tue 12 Apr 2016, 21:53

Donna,
but how does Sanders finance his campaign? I mean, he needs money as well, how does he get it?
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 12 Apr 2016, 22:33

Carolhathaway , what I have found on line is that a lot of company's and groups give to his campaign. There are lists on line.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 12 Apr 2016, 23:59

Carolhathaway, Bernie Sanders has raised most of his money simply from individual donors. He has raised more money (don't know exact amount) than Hillary from personal donations ... the average being $27. It is quite extraordinary. And he proudly speaks about it on the campaign trail, in debates and at rallies.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 13 Apr 2016, 00:38

I think Bernie and Donald Trump are similar in that they are tapping into the frustration and disillusionment many of us feel, but their solutions to the problems we face are impractical and unlikely to ever come to be. They both seem a bit naive in thinking that, if elected, their programs will be enacted just because they want them to be. Ask President Obama how well that works out!

It seems that barring a political miracle Donald Trump will be the Republican candidate. Since he hasn't even touched his personal fortune yet to finance his campaign, anyone who runs against him will need a huge war chest for the general election. Is it wrong to have to raise so much money for an election? Absolutely! But until the system changes, it's the reality of the situation. Yelling about it during a campaign doesn't change anything.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 13 Apr 2016, 01:55

Agree Lizzy.  Trump is well .... Trump and is in this only for himself.  He is clueless in how to run the country.  Sanders isn't.  And you call him naive.  It's surprising that he is considering how long he has been in Congress.  He knows how the wheels turn.  He should know better.  His words are passionate and no doubt genuine.  And incredibly appealing to the masses.  But not realistic at all.

Last edited by Donnamarie on Wed 13 Apr 2016, 01:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct spelling)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 13 Apr 2016, 06:31

Donna,
thanks for the info!
That's what I thought: They ALL have to raise money for their campaigns, and they ALL need donations and therefore depend on supporters. So it does make sense to change this system - but not now, just before elections. Let's wait if they will talk about it after November...

Of course it would make sense to have a candidate who don't need financial support - but that would mean to only have billionaires as candidates . And - if it's right what I read - Trump takes donations as well so doesn't have to spend his own money. So you would have to forbid donations to the candidates and the political parties to minimize the influence.
I wouldn't say that that's impossible - but nearly...

And the candidates have to finance their campaigns somehow which would mean that the state finances them (which they do in Germany, but the parties still get donations)...

Difficult to find the right way to finance it...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 16 Apr 2016, 03:20

Bit of a protest by Sanders fans going on on Nob Hill tonight......by Shervan's place.

But put another way the cost of this dinner to a techie is the equivalent of two Teslas............

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 16 Apr 2016, 10:24

Meanwhile, inside:

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 16 Apr 2016, 11:25

George is wearing a new blazer.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 16 Apr 2016, 12:32

........suit..........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down