George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
Alan Rickman  Dead at 69 EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Alan Rickman  Dead at 69 EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Alan Rickman  Dead at 69 EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Alan Rickman  Dead at 69 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Alan Rickman  Dead at 69 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Alan Rickman  Dead at 69 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Alan Rickman  Dead at 69 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Alan Rickman  Dead at 69 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Alan Rickman  Dead at 69 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Alan Rickman Dead at 69

+2
it's me
PigPen
6 posters

Go down

Alan Rickman  Dead at 69 Empty Alan Rickman Dead at 69

Post by PigPen Thu 14 Jan 2016, 15:25

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35313604

Entertainment & Arts

Alan Rickman, Harry Potter and Die Hard actor, dies aged 69

14 minutes ago

From the section Entertainment & Arts

Jump media player

Media player help

Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.

Media captionFilm critic Jason Solomons: "He had a gift for being sneeringly withering"

Actor Alan Rickman, known for films including Harry Potter, Die Hard and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, has died at the age of 69, his family has said.

The star had been suffering from cancer, a statement said.

He became one of Britain's best-loved acting stars thanks to roles including Professor Snape in the Harry Potter films and Hans Gruber in Die Hard.

Harry Potter author JK Rowling led the tributes, describing him as "a magnificent actor and a wonderful man".

She wrote on Twitter: "There are no words to express how shocked and devastated I am to hear of Alan Rickman's death."

She added: "My thoughts are with [Rickman's wife] Rima and the rest of Alan's family. We have all lost a great talent. They have lost part of their hearts."

Announcing his death on Thursday, a family statement said: "The actor and director Alan Rickman has died from cancer at the age of 69. He was surrounded by family and friends."
◾Alan Rickman: A life in pictures

Alan Rickman in Harry PotterImage copyright Warner
Image caption
Rickman played the mysterious Professor Snape in all eight Harry Potter films

Director Ang Lee, who cast Rickman opposite Kate Winslet in 1995's Sense and Sensibility, called him a "brilliant actor… a soulful actor… [and] a great human being."

Sir Michael Gambon, who appeared with Alan Rickman in Harry Potter as well as on stage, told BBC Radio 4 he was "a great friend".

He added: "Everybody loved Alan. He was always happy and fun and creative and very, very funny. He had a great voice, he spoke wonderfully well.

A man of such talent, wicked charm and stunning screen and stage presence
Stephen Fry

"He was intelligent, he wrote plays, he directed a play. So he was a real man of the theatre and the stage and that's how I think of Alan."

Fellow Harry Potter actor Jason Isaacs, who played Lucius Malfoy, wrote: "Heartbreaking news about lovely Alan. Nobody else could be as hilarious, tragic, terrifying and truthful all at the same time #RIPAlanRickman."

Actor Richard E Grant wrote on Twitter: "Farewell my friend. Your kindness and generosity ever since we met in LA in 1987 and ever since is incalculable."

TV star and Bafta ceremony host Stephen Fry wrote: "What desperately sad news about Alan Rickman. A man of such talent, wicked charm and stunning screen and stage presence. He'll be sorely missed."

Actor David Morrissey also paid tribute. He said: "So sad to hear the news of Alan Rickman. A wonderful actor and lovely man. Tragic news."

Alan Rickman in 1978's Romeo & Juliet
Image caption
Rickman (left) made his TV debut in 1978's Romeo and Juliet

Rickman and Juliet Stevenson with The Queen in 2000Image copyright Ian Jones/Daily Telegraph/PA
Image caption
Rickman and Juliet Stevenson met the Queen in 2000

The London-born star began his career in theatre, including with the Royal Shakespeare Company, before winning roles in TV dramas like Smiley's People and The Barchester Chronicles in the 1980s.

His performance as the manipulative seducer the Vicomte de Valmont in Les Liaisons Dangereuses on Broadway in 1986 brought him the first of two Tony Award nominations.

It also brought him to the attention of Die Hard producer Joel Silver, who offered him his film debut as a result.

He went on to become best known for playing screen villains - including the Sheriff of Nottingham in 1991's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, for which he won a Bafta award, and Judge Turpin opposite Johnny Depp in 2007's Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

But he showed his gentler side in films like 1990's Truly Madly Deeply, in which he played Juliet Stevenson's ghost lover and which also earned him a Bafta nomination.

Further Bafta nominations came for his roles as Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility and the calculating Irish politician Eamon de Valera in 1996's Michael Collins.

The following year, he won a Golden Globe for best actor in a miniseries or television film for the title role in Rasputin: Dark Servant of Destiny.

Linsday Duncan and Alan Rickman in Private LivesImage copyright PA
Image caption
He starred with Lindsay Duncan in Private Lives in the West End and on Broadway

Other film credits ranged from Tim Robbins' 1992 political satire Bob Roberts to Richard Curtis's 2003 romantic comedy Love, Actually, 1999's sci-fi spoof Galaxy Quest and the voice of the Blue Caterpillar in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

He also moved behind the camera in 1997 with the drama The Winter Guest, in which he directed Emma Thompson and her mother Phyllida Law.

Two years ago, he also directed period saga A Little Chaos, in which he co-starred with Kate Winslet.

Meanwhile, he continued to be a major presence on the stage in London and New York.

Another Tony nomination came for Private Lives in 2002, in which he appeared opposite Lindsay Duncan on Broadway following a transfer from London.

He recently revealed he had married Rima Horton in secret last year. The couple had been together since he was just 19 and she was 18.

Saw his last directing effort- A Little Chaos.. lovely film. He did look a little ill, and his acting energy was not there. Poor soul must have been suffering throughout production. Amazing talent. RIP.

PigPen
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Alan Rickman  Dead at 69 Empty Re: Alan Rickman Dead at 69

Post by it's me Thu 14 Jan 2016, 16:57

Another sad day bec such loss  Sad

Some loss are really hard to ... adsorb Neutral
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 14 Jan 2016, 18:27

Two remarkable talents gone in a week's time.  

Thanks PigPen for the article.  I'd forgotten about so many of the roles Alan Rickman had played.  And I  wasn't aware that he had directed.  I didn't follow his career that much but always enjoyed his acting when I watched him on the screen.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 14 Jan 2016, 20:03

So, so sad. One of my favorite actors - absolutely brilliant - and gone way too soon. Sad
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Hebe Thu 14 Jan 2016, 22:35

He was one of my favourite actors too. I was stunned when I heard of his death. Very sad.

Hebe
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 15 Jan 2016, 03:12

A lovely actor with a fabulous voice.
I liked him very much in Truly Madly Deeply and 
Love Actually.
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down